New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 689

Does Monk's Belt grant a non-monk the ability to add Wisdom to his or her AC as well, or is it only the bonus +1 gained as if you were a 5th level monk?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 690

The Magic Jar spell specify that the spellcaster using it keep his own level when in a host body. On the other hand, the hit points total is the one of the host.

What about Hit Dice? If the host possessed by a spellcaster is targeted by an effect depending on hit dice, are those of the host used, or the possessing spellcaster?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ettin in the Playground

A 689

Everyone gets the AC bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk. This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.

4. - Top - End - #1294

BardGuy

Q 691

I believe there's a monster in some first party book that is basically an animated face in a door. I can't find it, though, either because it's not in the books I'm checking or because I'm blind or something like that.

The creature looks like a pleasant face in a door, and has an accompanying picture. It's described as being a simple guardian, often one that asks riddles, and I think it might have some spellcasting or regenerative abilities. Any ideas about what book it's in?

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    Q 687

What is the difference between HP and Bonus HP?

It's surprisingly unclear in the SRD, so thank you in advance if you have a good explanation.
    A 687

"Bonus Hit Points" are a mechanic from the "Vitality and Wound Points" alternative rule in the Unearthed Arcana and SRD

Or was there a specific rules text that you had in mind?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2018-04-24 at 12:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    Q 691

I believe there's a monster in some first party book that is basically an animated face in a door. I can't find it, though, either because it's not in the books I'm checking or because I'm blind or something like that.

The creature looks like a pleasant face in a door, and has an accompanying picture. It's described as being a simple guardian, often one that asks riddles, and I think it might have some spellcasting or regenerative abilities. Any ideas about what book it's in?
    A 691 - Partial

Any other information you might remember about this creature will help.

Size? Type? Challenge Rating?

You can use the follwing tool to search for monsters and you'll be pointed to the book and page you can find them in. As far as I know, the tool is rather complete: http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/

7. - Top - End - #1297

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    A 691 - Partial

You can use the follwing tool to search for monsters and you'll be pointed to the book and page you can find them in. As far as I know, the tool is rather complete: http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/
    Not that I can say with certainty. I assumed it'd be a construct and somewhere between fine and small in size, but limiting it to that doesn't pull up any good matches. Maybe I should be looking for magical equipment instead of a creature.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 692

Overchannel Feat (XPH)
    While manifesting a power, you can increase your effective manifester level by one, but in so doing you take 1d8 points of damage. At 8th level, you can choose to increase your effective manifester level by two, but you take 3d8 points of damage. At 15th level, you can increase your effective manifester level by three, but you take 5d8 points of damage.
    What level does the bolded parts refer to? Your character level, or your actual manifester level? The feat is categorized as a Psionic feat, but otherwise there are no other prerequisites to take the feat, so if I'm reading this right, you could be something like Fighter 7/Psychic Warrior 1 and take the feat at 8th character level as soon as you have your first Psychic Warrior level, and immediately qualify for overchanneling your 1st-level powers by two manifester levels higher (to 3rd). Am I reading this right?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-04-24 at 04:14 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q 692

What level does the bolded parts refer to? Your character level, or your actual manifester level? The feat is categorized as a Psionic feat, but otherwise there are no other prerequisites to take the feat, so if I'm reading this right, you could be something like Fighter 7/Psychic Warrior 1 and take the feat at 8th character level as soon as you have your first Psychic Warrior level, and immediately qualify for overchanneling your 1st-level powers by two manifester levels higher (to 3rd). Am I reading this right?
    A 692

You are.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 691

A 691 - Partial

Not that I can say with certainty. I assumed it'd be a construct and somewhere between fine and small in size, but limiting it to that doesn't pull up any good matches. Maybe I should be looking for magical equipment instead of a creature.
    A 691

I'm fairly confident you're referring to the Grandfather Plaque. Stats can be found in Dragon Magazine Compendium (p.207). The compendium is considered a 1st party source.

It first appeared in a 1E (or maybe 2E) issue of Dungeon, from memory. In 3.5, it is a CR 4 construct.

11. - Top - End - #1301

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A 691

I'm fairly confident you're referring to the Grandfather Plaque. Stats can be found in Dragon Magazine Compendium (p.207). The compendium is considered a 1st party source.

It first appeared in a 1E (or maybe 2E) issue of Dungeon, from memory. In 3.5, it is a CR 4 construct.

That's it exactly! I actually stumbled upon it during the session this afternoon mid-game since I was also using Glasspane Horrors from that book and accidentally scrolled past the page.

Sadly, by that time I'd already passed the part of the story where I wanted a talking door, so I didn't need it anymore, but it's super nice to know that I wasn't going mad.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 692

If a subject dies and is reincarnated into a race that has a Level Adjustment (higher than before, if relevant), does the new race's Level Adjustment apply to the character that has been reincarnated?

For example, if a 6th-level Half-orc were to reincarnate as a bugbear, he would lose one level and become a 5th-level character. In order to advance back to 6th level, does bugbear's LA increase the amount of XP the character needs to level up and from that point forward?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-04-26 at 04:05 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 693

The Vileblade spell (Dragon #300):
    This spell draws out and temporarily crystallizes a sword-shaped portion of the caster's soul that springs out from his hand. The caster wields this blade-like beam as if it were a +4 unholy longsword. All the relevant feats, such as Weapon Focus (longsword), apply. If the caster doesn't have Martial Weapon Proficiency (longsword), he may still wield a vileblade without penalty, instead of adding his Strength bonus to attack and damage rolls made with the vileblade, the caster adds his Charisma bonus.
    The question is: if caster will use his Charisma bonus instead of his Strength bonus, then does it mean he will get 1˝ times his Charisma bonus to damage rolls for wielding it with two hands?

Q 694

My argument with MaxiDuRaritry (and Goaty14) in this thread.

TL;DR it boils down to:
    a) Clawed Arm fiendish graft
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiend Folio
    If it is not holding anything or being used to perform another action, the grafted creature can direct the clawed arm to make one natural attack per round, using the creature's base attack bonus and adjusted Strength modifier. This attack is in addition to the creature's normal actions in a round.
    I'm believing it's indicating the arm may be grafted on without removing any original arms (since fiends are weird and their extremities mustn't make a sense)

And the arm got that extra attack without being called something like "Quick Arm" or "Multitasking Arm".
    Is it correct?

b) Without disagreeing on that point, MaxiDuRaritry instead suggested you can use for the same purpose Mighty Arms warforged graft, since it's much cheaper and don't have disadvantages of fiendish grafts.
    I disbelieving it!
    Eberron done so much to hold grafts down - invented body slots (no more grafted arms for Nagas!), banned grafts from different sources, installed hard limit of 5 total...
    And after this all - allow the second set of arms for the measly 1000 gp and 2 hp?!
    (Also, Warforged are - unlike fiends - pretty Humanoid-like in their appearance, so - to where, exactly, he will install those arms?)
    However, I can't find a piece of RAW which would stop that silly shenanigan.
    So, question is: is there some RAW which would prevent it?

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q 692

If a subject dies and is reincarnated into a race that has a Level Adjustment (higher than before, if relevant), does the new race's Level Adjustment apply to the character that has been reincarnated?

For example, if a 6th-level Half-orc were to reincarnate as a bugbear, he would lose one level and become a 5th-level character. In order to advance back to 6th level, does bugbear's LA increase the amount of XP the character needs to level up and from that point forward?
    A 692

Any LA the new form possesses is indeed applied to the character, as they are now a member of that race.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ogre in the Playground

A 692

Any LA the new form possesses is indeed applied to the character, as they are now a member of that race.
    Q695

What happens to racial hit dice? (Either before or after reincarnation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Q695

What happens to racial hit dice? (Either before or after reincarnation)
    A 695

The spell makes no reservation about maintaining your ECL or HD. You get all RHD and LA associated with the new race, and your ECL will go up or down accordingly.

The reservations the spell does make are as following:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed. Its class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged.
    So while you'd gain the RHD for purposes of calculating your ECL, you wouldn't gain any of the benefits.

Conversely, if you previously had RHD and the new race does not, you get to keep the things mentioned in the quote and your ECL would go down. If this would put your Skill Ranks/BAB/etc above the allowed for your new race, it's up to each DM on how to handle it, as the rules are silent on the matter AFAIK
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2018-04-26 at 10:43 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q696

If a Master of Many Forms 7 was shaped into a Thoon Infiltrator (MMV) as it died, would it be able to make use of the Eventual Comeback (Ex) ability?

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morof Stonehands View Post
    Q696

If a Master of Many Forms 7 was shaped into a Thoon Infiltrator (MMV) as it died, would it be able to make use of the Eventual Comeback (Ex) ability?
    A 696

Yes, it explicitly being an (Ex) ability. However, you would need to be able to stay in wild shape as such for the whole month (read: a level 730 druid) before resurrection.

Q 697

Would wildshaping into a Thoon Infiltator (MMV), dying, and then having the body stored in quintessence qualify for waiting a month before resurrection? (waiting a month in quintessence, that is)
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morof Stonehands View Post
    Q696

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    A 696

Yes, it explicitly being an (Ex) ability. However, you would need to be able to stay in wild shape as such for the whole month (read: a level 730 druid) before resurrection.

Q 697

Would wildshaping into a Thoon Infiltator (MMV), dying, and then having the body stored in quintessence qualify for waiting a month before resurrection? (waiting a month in quintessence, that is)
    note that you revert to your old form if you die during your shaped form, however you want to apply that in this case.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

A 687

"Bonus Hit Points" are a mechanic from the "Vitality and Wound Points" alternative rule in the Unearthed Arcana and SRD

Or was there a specific rules text that you had in mind?
    I'm asking in regards to Faerie Mysteries Initiative feat, for another player. My assumption is that it refers to the variant rule that I knew nothing about until receiving your answer. Thank you for the help!
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2018-04-27 at 03:24 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm asking in regards to Faerie Mysteries Initiative feat, for another player. My assumption is that it refers to the variant rule that I knew nothing about until receiving your answer. Thank you for the help!
    A 687 - Correction

No, it does not reference that variant. You simply use INT instead of CON for bonus HP. You see, every time a player levels up, they gain HP equal to their rolled hit die plus their constitution modifier. The faerie mysteries initiate replaces that for your INT.

To change this we can use the following formula to find the rolled (dice) HP, and then add in the new HP: HP + ((INT - CON) * ECL). (Note: INT and CON are represented by the CON or INT modifier, not score)
    Spoiler: Example
    Show
    Say we have Bob who is a 6th level wizard with a 14 (+2) CON, and an 18 (+4) INT. He currently has a HP of 22 listed on his character sheet (with no feats affecting his HP, such as toughness), and wants to use faerie mysteries initiate.

To calculate Bob's new HP, we use the above formula to "plug in" the variables to get... 22 + ((4 - 2) * 6) -> 22 + (2 * 6) -> 22 + 12 -> 36

As an offhand note, Faerie Mysteries has some drawbacks that are often overlooked, mostly that in order to use it you need to have somebody else with the feat and (in order to get INT to HP, among other things to do) "engage in an exuberant sensual act". Take what you want from that, but it's all RAW.
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-04-27 at 06:13 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 687

In that case, it's referring to the "bonus" hp you get per level in addition to your Hit Die roll. This is normally equal to your Constitution modifier (for good or for ill), but a certain usage of that feat lets you and your partner use your Intelligence modifier instead.

And yes, whoever wrote the feat has misused the word bonus, because in D&D the word "bonus" is always a positive value while the Hit Die addition can be either positive or negative.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q698: an attack of opportunity is used to do something that would cause an attack of opportunity, does that trigger an aoo?
    since it's clearer with an example: if someone moves or cast a spell in melee, and as an attack of opportunity an opponent decides to use a trip attempt (without having improved trip) does the guy who was moving/casting get to make an attack of opportunity?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Q698: an attack of opportunity is used to do something that would cause an attack of opportunity, does that trigger an aoo?
    since it's clearer with an example: if someone moves or cast a spell in melee, and as an attack of opportunity an opponent decides to use a trip attempt (without having improved trip) does the guy who was moving/casting get to make an attack of opportunity?
    A 698

Yes

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 699

Does the Arcane Preparation feat allow a spontaneous caster to use Corrupt spells?

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 699

Does the Arcane Preparation feat allow a spontaneous caster to use Corrupt spells?
    A 699

The rules for the feat and Corrupt spells are contradictory.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt Spells
    Spellcasters prepare corrupt spells just as they do regular spells, but corrupt spells are available only to spellcasters who prepare spells.Wizards and clerics, for example, can use corrupt magic, but sorcerers and bards cannot.
    On one hand, the feat allows for spell preparation, on the other, the feat explicitly exclude the bard and the sorcerer (and since they're just examples, it also excludes all casters whose class descriptions don't say they prepare spells)

But since neither rule comes from a Primary Source, their interaction is up to DM purview.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ettin in the Playground

A 699 Contention

CArc and BoVD are the primary sources for the Arcane Preparation and Corrupt Magic respectively.

The examples for characters not able to use corrupt spells are examples, nothing more. They do not confer a class based restriction on corrupt spells. They simply illustrate which classes normally can or cannot cast such spells. They do not bar a character to gain the ability to prepare spells for these classes.

So yes, a sorcerer/bard with arcane preparation could cast corrupt spells.

28. - Top - End - #1318

BarbarianGuy

Q 700 A
    Does Heal cure the Feeblemind effect that is caused by touching the waters of the River Styx?
    Quote Originally Posted by MotP p. 86
    The River Styx: This river bubbles with grease, foul flotsam, and putrid remains of battles along its banks. Those who taste or touch its water must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 17) or suffer total amnesia. Treat the victim as if feebleminded (as the feeblemind spell). Even those who make their saves lose all memory of the events of the last 8 hours. Prepared spells remain in memory, although the victim might not realize they’re prepared.
    Q 700 B
    Does Mind Blank protect you from the Feeblemind effect of the River Styx?

Q 701
    What can cure or prevent the insanity (note, not insanity) caused by the winds of Pandemonium?
    Quote Originally Posted by MotP p. 97; table 7-3
    91–100 . . Shrieking wind causes insanity . . Will DC 22 negates
    Does Heal cure it? Does Mind Blank prevent the insanity?

Q 702
    If a mage casts Time Stop, can he delay his actions one initiative count, such that in the last round of the spell, the last round of apparent time ends on the mage's "old" initiative count, then normal time resumes, and it is now one initiative count lower, and the mage can get a full turn immediately after the Time Stop ends (but "gave up" one round of actions within the Time Stop)?

Example: Mage goes on initiative count 12. He casts time stop, which uses his action, but gives him 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time (we'll say 4 rounds). His very first turn in the time stop, he delays to initiative count 11, and casts a buff spell. Apparent round 2 he casts a second buff spell, and he does the same on apparent round three. On apparent round four of the time stop, at initiative count 12, normal time resumes (the mage slows down from being sped up, or however you want to describe the specifics of it). Now, back in normal time-flow, the mage sees foes moving once again, and initiative count ticks to 11. Does the mage get a full round of actions in real time, technically in the same round in which his foes just watched him cast time stop a moment earlier?

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 699 Contention

CArc and BoVD are the primary sources for the Arcane Preparation and Corrupt Magic respectively.

The examples for characters not able to use corrupt spells are examples, nothing more. They do not confer a class based restriction on corrupt spells. They simply illustrate which classes normally can or cannot cast such spells. They do not bar a character to gain the ability to prepare spells for these classes.

So yes, a sorcerer/bard with arcane preparation could cast corrupt spells.
    A 699 Contention

Both sources are in equal standing. Bards and Sorcerers are explicitly not able to cast corrupt spells according to BoVD.

While I very much agree that Arcane Preparation should let you cast corrupt spells from a RAI point of view, this is not the place for such a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q 700 A
    Does Heal cure the Feeblemind effect that is caused by touching the waters of the River Styx?

Q 700 B

Q 701
    What can cure or prevent the insanity (note, not insanity) caused by the winds of Pandemonium?
    Does Heal cure it? Does Mind Blank prevent the insanity?

Q 702
    If a mage casts Time Stop, can he delay his actions one initiative count, such that in the last round of the spell, the last round of apparent time ends on the mage's "old" initiative count, then normal time resumes, and it is now one initiative count lower, and the mage can get a full turn immediately after the Time Stop ends (but "gave up" one round of actions within the Time Stop)?

Example: Mage goes on initiative count 12. He casts time stop, which uses his action, but gives him 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time (we'll say 4 rounds). His very first turn in the time stop, he delays to initiative count 11, and casts a buff spell. Apparent round 2 he casts a second buff spell, and he does the same on apparent round three. On apparent round four of the time stop, at initiative count 12, normal time resumes (the mage slows down from being sped up, or however you want to describe the specifics of it). Now, back in normal time-flow, the mage sees foes moving once again, and initiative count ticks to 11. Does the mage get a full round of actions in real time, technically in the same round in which his foes just watched him cast time stop a moment earlier?
    A 700 A

Yes.

A 700 B

No. Mind Blank protects you against mind-affecting spells. The "feebleminded" condition, even if normally a result of a Feeblemind spell, is not itself a spell. And River Styx itself isn't a spell either, so Mind Blank offers no protection.

A 701 - Partial

A Heal spell doesn't cure it, as it's not part of the spell's description.
    Mechanically, being insane (not the targett of an Insanity spell) has no mechanical effect, AFAIK. It therefore needs DM adjudication in regards to what are the effects and how they can be cured.

A 702

Yes. You are - barring the restrictions made by the spell - free to act during the apparent time, and that includes Readying actions and Delaying your initiative.

30. - Top - End - #1320

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q 700 B
    A 700 B

Yes. Mind-Blank protects you from all devices, spells, and effects that are mind-affecting. Feeblemind is a mind-affecting effect.
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2018-05-01 at 12:24 PM.