New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 080

Hopefully not too far outside the bounds of this thread...is there any Lycnathrope (or similar) template that can be applied to a Monstrous Humanoid? Preferably without having to jump through hoops like Human Heritage on the base creature.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 081

tl;dr: Does a Sorcerer with the Domain Access ACF (Complete Champion, pg. 52) have the ability to become a Luckstealer at level 7?

More info: I *think* so, but it's weird. Domain Access removes spells known, not spell slots per day, so you technically know 0 third level arcane spells, but you still technically have the spell slots to cast them from (for metamagic or what-have-you.)

Now, I'm not in the camp that thinks that having slots alone qualifies as the "ability" to cast 3rd level spells (I can't cast them if pressed, after all), but the ACF *does* grant me divine spells via the cleric domain, and the prerequisites for the prestige class say "3rd level arcane or divine spells". That... is promising? I think the domain slots count as divine technically, but that shouldn't be an issue.

So... I think the only real issue I'm hitting is the semantic issue of only being able to cast a single divine spell of 3rd level when the prerequisite is for spells plural, but I think that semantic issue isn't an issue? Or am I wrong?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

A 081

As per CC, you may only cast a single 3rd level spell per day:

Quote Originally Posted by CC p.52
    You gain the granted power of the chosen domain. In addition, you can cast one domain spell of each spell level available to you per day from that domain.
    The definition of "Ability to cast 3rd-level arcane or divine spells." is somewhat open to interpretation, as it is unclear if this means "per day" or not. Unfortunately, as you only know a single spell and can only cast it once per day, I believe the RAW would say you do not qualify.

However, either Heighten Spell or a possibly a bloodline Feat (Dragon Compendium) should allow you to cast other 3rd level spells, and thus qualify.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 082

I'mma sound dumb asking, but is there a spell for clerics akin to Fireball, or at the very least, the Ki Blast feat without taking such feat?

5. - Top - End - #155

BardGuy

A 082

Might be a better answer out there, but Flame Strike has some similarities. It deals 1d6 damage per level to a maximum of 15d6 (5 more d6 than Fireball allows). Sadly, it's a 5th level spell instead of a 3rd, and the damage is treated as a Cylinder rather than a Sphere that spreads from a point to cover its radius.

In general, arcanists tend to get more "flashy"spell effects, but Clerics and other divine casters aren't entirely out of options on that front.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Q 83:

Do Driders base there racial spell casting on Cha always, or do they base it on whatever the associated class for there casting is? (Wizard Casting Driders get Int based casting, Cleric Casting Driders get Wis based casting, Sorcerer Casting Driders get Cha based casting.)?
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 84

What is that druid spell that enchants a sapling and upon planting the sapling the soil around it becomes much better? I remember reading about it in a thread about restoring the land in the dark sun setting.
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Q 83:

Do Driders base there racial spell casting on Cha always, or do they base it on whatever the associated class for there casting is? (Wizard Casting Driders get Int based casting, Cleric Casting Driders get Wis based casting, Sorcerer Casting Driders get Cha based casting.)?
    A 083

Spells
    Driders cast spells as 6th-level clerics, wizards, or sorcerers. Drider clerics can choose from the following domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, and Trickery. The typical spells prepared shown here are for a drider sorcerer.
    Driders cast spells as Clerics, Wizards, or Sorcerers. I can't see anything that says they don't follow the normal rules for those classes: so they cast off Wis, Int or Cha respectively.

You may looking at the SLA section that says "The save DCs are Charisma-based.".

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 085

Can the Monk's Decisive Blow ACF (PHB2 p.51) be combined with the War Hulk's Great Swing ability (MH p.23)? Both require a full round to make a single attack roll, but can they be combined into the same full round action, or are they mutually exclusive?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Q86
    Does the Adamantine Body feat applies the Armor Class gained to the Warforged's Touch AC?
    Normally I'd say they don't get it, but in both sources The Forgotten Forge (ECS p307) and Shadows of the Last War (p6) list a Warforged Fighter with the Adamantine Body feat and a Touch AC of 19 (+8 from the feat and +1 from its Dex modifier.)
    Just asking to confirm if it was a mistake.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

A 85

Each ability requires the entirety of a Full Round Action. So they cannot be combined.

A 86

The feat description says nothing about applying to Touch AC, it is also an armor bonus. Since the ECS is the primary source for the feat any creature using it must abide by its rules.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2017-07-29 at 02:47 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q87 I'm wearing a Spiked Gauntlet, have a longsword sheathed, and the quick draw feat. If someone provokes an AoO from me, may I draw and attack with my longsword or am I required to use my spiked gauntlet?
    Last edited by Sniper; 2017-07-29 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Changing 86 to 87 because I can't count

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

A87
    The AoO must be made with a weapon with which you threat whoever provoked the AoO. You don't threat anyone with a sheathed longsword, so no, you can't do that. And even if you did, you can't make free actions on an AoO (to draw a weapon), just one attack.
    Last edited by Lekgolo137; 2017-07-29 at 07:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

Q88
    A rogue can find a Symbol of Death spell with Search check and then disable it with Disable Device check thanks to his Trapfinding ability.
    But if the Symbol of Death is set to be triggered by looking at it, or by reading it, or by touching it, wouldn't it activate before the rogue can disable it?
    I mean, you can't find something without looking at it, or know how to disable it without studying it (which counts as reading it, as per the spell description), or disabling it without touching it, right?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

A 88 Rogues are just weird like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD: Magic Traps
    Unless the spell or item description states otherwise, assume the following to be true.

A successful Search check (DC 25 + spell level) made by a rogue (and only a rogue) detects a magic trap before it goes off. Other characters have no chance to find a magic trap with a Search check.
    Magic traps may be disarmed by a rogue (and only a rogue) with a successful Disable Device check (DC 25 + spell level).
    The spell description doesn't say anything contrary to that, even including the text saying rogues can disable them. So it's fine despite how weird it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lekgolo137 View Post
    I mean, you can't find something without looking at it, or know how to disable it without studying it (which counts as reading it, as per the spell description), or disabling it without touching it, right?
    You only take a -4 to Search when blinded, so you can find things without sight in some unspecified way. Perhaps feeling the magic like we could find a fire without sight or something. Additionally there's no RAW requirement to study the traps that I know of, you can just get to work the moment you find it. Lastly, hiding the trap is sufficient to disable it, perhaps as simple as the rogue building a little wall out of loose bricks or whatnot around it or extinguishing every light source. Blocks sight, but won't trigger the touch portion as it's not covered.

16. - Top - End - #166

Devil

Q 89 When a sorcerer gains spells from a new level can they choose a spell lower than what the spells known states? Example, can a 3rd level sorcerer gain an additional 0th level spell instead of a level 1 spell?

Q 90 When one takes a level in Sublime Chord can they choose a spells lower than 4th level instead of a 4th/5th level spell?

Thanks.
    The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
    DM: What are you looking for?
    Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
    DM: Like what?
    Rogue: Everything.
    DM: There is a lot of stuff.
    Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
    DM: (rolls) Yes.
    Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

A 89 and 90 No to both.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Persistent spell reads, "Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged." [CArc81]

Q 91: Clearly Divine Insight [SpC70] cannot be persisted because its duration says "x/level or until discharged." But Death Throes [SpC60] has a duration of "x/level or until y" but y is not specifically "discharged". Since the y effect does end the spell, does this count as "discharged" for persisting even though the spell never uses the term?
    Last edited by VisitingDaGulag; 2017-08-01 at 04:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Q 92

The rule for an Intimidate check is that it's opposed by a Character Level check modified by Wisdom and by the "target’s modifiers on saves against fear".

Does this include broader modifiers that would also apply to saves against fear? Like, applying on any mind-effecting effects or any Will save? Does a character with Iron Will gain a +2 on this check?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2017-07-31 at 04:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #170

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q93

On the SRD under the skills summary there's a line that says:

"Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3."

Does this mean that once a skill is considered a class skill it is always considered a class skill or just that it can have a maximum number of ranks equal to Character Level + 3 but those ranks may have to be purchased a either 1 skill point for 1 rank (Class Skill) or .5 Ranks for 1 skill point (Cross-Class Skill)?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

A93
    Once a skill has been a class skill once, its maximum for skill ranks is determined as uf it was a class skill. How much skill points it costs to buy at level up is determined by the class you're levelling up in.

For example, a rogue taking a level in fighter needs to pay 2 skill points when he wants to buy a rank in a non-fighter skill. If that skill is on the rogue list, it does retain the maximum as if it still was a class skill.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2017-08-01 at 12:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

A92 No, only a bonus that is specific to fear would apply to intimidate. A bonus like Iron Will only coincidentally applies to fear because fear rolls are usually will checks (which Iron Will boosts).

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q94

Can you use the same Black Sapphire for trapping multiple souls with Soul Bind?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

A 94

Yes. As a Focus, it's not consumed; and there is nothing specifically preventing it.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

25. - Top - End - #175

Q95

Do shadow creatures created by Shadow Conjuration line of spells require SR checks to land their SLA, Ex, and Su abilities?

For Example, Conjure Ice Beast VI lets me create a Huge Earth Elemental Ice Beast with an Su Ability Breathe Weapon to do 8d6 cold damage, reflex save for half, no sr. If I use Greater Shadow Conjuration to create the exact same beast to do the exact same cold blast attack, does the opponent get a Spell Resistance check to negate the damage?

I understand disbelief will reduce the damage, but there is no mention of SR in the Shadow Conjuration spell description concerning summon creatures, which makes me believe they don't require SR checks.

Same with Shadow objects, like a shadow weapon. Do they require SR checks to affect the target?
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2017-08-01 at 05:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Q 096

Are there any ways for a Cloistered Cleric of Vecna to obtain the Trickery domain? Preferably without losing caster levels.

27. - Top - End - #177

BarbarianGuy

Q98 <-- edited/corrected number

Question about the Zone of Respite spell (SpC)
    You create a region that is temporarily protected against interplanar intrusion. This includes spells and abilities that use other planes, including dimension door, teleport, plane shift, and travel through such planes as the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, and the Plane of Shadow.

Summoning and calling spells do not function within a zone of respite, but summoned and called creatures outside a zone of respite can be sent inside it.

Gate spells and other portals cannot be created within a zone of respite, but existing portals are unaffected by the spell. Creatures on coterminous or coexistent planes (DMG 150) must retreat to the edge of the zone of respite and cannot enter the corresponding area on the coterminous or coexistent plane.
    Does Zone of Respite prevent a demon from using greater teleport to leave the area? Or does it just prevent a demon from entering the area via teleportation?
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2017-08-01 at 11:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 85

Each ability requires the entirety of a Full Round Action. So they cannot be combined.

A 85: Addendum.

I believe if you have enough levels of monk, decisive strike becomes an ability that doesn't require an action to use, and can thus be combined with the Warhulks Great Swing ability.
    "I Burn!"

29. - Top - End - #179

Devil

Q97 Does one need the ability to cast spells to take a metamagic feat? For example could a fighter, using a regular feat slot, take one in preparation to be a Gish later. I see item creation feats list caster levels but most metamagic feats have no prerequisites.

Thanks.
    The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
    DM: What are you looking for?
    Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
    DM: Like what?
    Rogue: Everything.
    DM: There is a lot of stuff.
    Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
    DM: (rolls) Yes.
    Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

30. - Top - End - #180

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gelcur View Post
    Q97 Does one need the ability to cast spells to take a metamagic feat? For example could a fighter, using a regular feat slot, take one in preparation to be a Gish later. I see item creation feats list caster levels but most metamagic feats have no prerequisites.

Thanks.
    A97 No. You have it right. Just read the prereq on metamagic feats.
    There are some feat catagories that have blanket reqs but afaik metamagic is straightforward.