New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Q 114
    If a nezumi uses his racial ability to take the Scent feat becomes a dragonborn does the feat continue to function?
    A 114: No.1 The ability to take scent as a feat is a racial trait and is lost upon becoming dragonborn.

Quote Originally Posted by "Races of the Dragon, p10
    Other Racial Traits:You lose all other racial traits of your original race, including bonus feats, skill bonuses, attack bonuses, save bonuses, spell-like abilities, and so forth.
    Emphasis mine. However, it is not the end of the world for the character, as the Mechanics of Rebirth offer your character an option.

Quote Originally Posted by "Races of the Dragon, p10
    If you no longer qualify for a feat due to the transformation, you lose the feat and immediately select a new feat for which you qualify in its place.
    Thus you may select a feat to replace it, provided your character otherwise meet the prerequisites as its new (reborn) self.

Spoiler: Footnotes
    Show
    I do not have access to the Dragon Magazine update to 3.5 for Rokugon/OA. I am using Races of the Dragon and the 2001 edition of Oriental Adventures as sources. Please feel free to clarify this answer if something in Dragon Magazine supercedes this.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q115: What PrCs have Uncanny Dodge as a 1st level feature? I don't need an exhaustive list, but a fair few non-epic relatively easy to qualify for ones would be nice.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    English is actually a very precise language in a lot of ways, and American English in particular has a habit of following other languages down back alleys, clubbing them over the head, and rifling through their lexicons that I think is very healthy for its evolution.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% who didn't, copy/paste this into your sig.
    Mine started in the battle arena of the capital city

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    C 113

That would be covered by the Barbed Stinger feat (Serpent Kingdoms, 144), which gives that ability.
    A 113 continued

Thank you for the clarification.

In light of that, I would call this an "ask your DM" scenario, as it doesn't seem to be specifically addressed by RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Iron_Lord View Post
    Q115: What PrCs have Uncanny Dodge as a 1st level feature? I don't need an exhaustive list, but a fair few non-epic relatively easy to qualify for ones would be nice.

Thanks!
    A 115

According to the Lists of Stuff:

• Chameleon 1
    • Survivor 1
    • Whisperknife 1
    • Yakuza 1

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Iron_Lord View Post

Thanks!
    A 115: Chameleon 1 (Races of Destiny) and Whisperknife (Races of the Wild) offer uncanny dodge at level 1, there may be others.

Note: Ease of qualification for the classes is beyond the scope of the thread.

Spoiler: List of Stuff?
    Show
    I used to check list of stuff for this sort of thing, perhaps those skilled in list necromancy can assist in recreation of the list?

Thank you Thurbane for the reference. Updated.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2017-08-13 at 05:11 PM.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Thurbane and Debatra!

The goal was to make a creature that could steal a PC away by stabbing them and flying off, I'll probably just allow it but as DM

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q116: Dimension door specifies that after you cast it, your turn ends. However, you can also bring additonal creatures with you, and the spell does not specify if their turn ends as well. Does it? And even in that case, if those other creatures stand just below you in the initiative, they are free to act immediately after teleporting?

Q116b: related to the first, in case creatures you bring can act immediately after teleporting. If a barbarian cast quickened dimension door with an object, does that count as the barbarian casting the spell, in which case it ends his turn, or as the object casting the spell, in which case the barbarian would be free to make a full attack immediately afterwards? What if the object is worn by the barbarian but the command word to activate it is uttered by someone else?

Because you see, my party wizard is rather cowardly, so I made an object that lets you cast quickened dimension door five times per day, and gives you a spell resistance of 25 against dimensional anchor. I was intending for the wizard to have it so she could escape in case of a grapple (she doesn't have 8th level slots), but instead they gave the item to the barbarian, who used it to teleport right behind enemy spellcasters and oneshot them. So far it's a for sale item, and the party only rented it once when they knew they would fight a group of npc close to them in power, but they are likely to buy it as soon as they have the money.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 116 Dimension door does not end turns, however it does say "you can’t take any other actions until your next turn," which effectively forces a player to tell the DM that they can't do anything until their turn next round (which is worse). "You" only refers to the caster, not to willing creatures.

A 116b Casting spells through items counts as the owner casting the spell. Thus your barbarian would not be able to attack afterward. The exception would be separate creatures such as intelligent items.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 117
    A wizard 20 with no feats to spare (for Shape Soulmeld) decides to cast the 9th level spell Open Greater Chakra [MoI103] which states it "open"s a list of chakras as Open Least Chakra: "just as if he had gained the ability to form a chakra bind from a feat or class feature."

Is he actually able to bind the chakra with the spell alone or is it not possible for him since he does not have the prerequisite ability to first shape the soulmeld?
    Last edited by VisitingDaGulag; 2017-08-15 at 01:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 118

The Devastating Throw maneuver from the Setting Sun school on page 72 of Tome of Battle states that to set up a devastating throw, you must move at least 15 feet.
    Is that movement part of the standard action which acts as the initiation action?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VisitingDaGulag View Post
    Q 117
    A wizard 20 with no feats to spare (for Shape Soulmeld) decides to cast the 9th level spell Open Greater Chakra [MoI103] which states it "open"s a list of chakras as Open Least Chakra: "just as if he had gained the ability to form a chakra bind from a feat or class feature."

Is he actually able to bind the chakra with the spell alone or is it not possible for him since he does not have the prerequisite ability to first shape the soulmeld?
    A117: It's not possible with just the feat.

That chakra is now available for the wizard to bind a soulmeld to, but the wizard consults his available soulmelds (from class level per p50, MoI, or from feat per p40), and finds none he can shape. The spell functions normally but essentially has no useful effect.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaEmil View Post
    Q 118

The Devastating Throw maneuver from the Setting Sun school on page 72 of Tome of Battle states that to set up a devastating throw, you must move at least 15 feet.
    Is that movement part of the standard action which acts as the initiation action?
    A 118: No.

Per p44 of ToB, the initiation action entry describes the type of action you must expend to activate a martial maneuver. Once it is initiated, the descriptive text kicks in as per p46.

As you indicated, your character must move at least 15 feet to set up the maneuver. Whether this movement is within the current round, previous round, or the characters lifetime is outside the scope of this thread, so ask your DM or open a new thread asking for opinions.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Q 119: I remember something about there being a PrC that allows you to cast Arcane Spells as if they were Divine Spells. (Meaning you can do things like Ignore spell failure on them.) Does anyone have any Inkling what this PrC is/was?

Need to know for an NPC I'm building for the game I'm running IRL.
    "I Burn!"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

A 119

Geomancer Complete Divine p. 41 ff.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 120

When casting the Sending spell, the spell says that:

Even if the sending is received, the subject is not obligated to act upon it in any manner.
    This implies that the recipient may not feel like replying, but would the original caster know that the the recipient chose not to reply for whatever reason, or would the spell let them know they are dead?

Would they know the Sending arrived to the designated recipient if they are dead/ choose not to reply back?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

A 120

Not automatically.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 121

Does the caster know if a spell has failed?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 121

Does the caster know if a spell has failed?
    A 121

If the target has succeeded on a save, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Spell Desciptions
    Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed.
    If the spell fails for other reasons (i.e. immunities etc.), then it may or may not be obvious, depending on the spell in question.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q122
    If you have three or more arms and the Two Weapon Fighting feat, could you wield a 2H weapon and a light weapon with the minimum penalty?

With four or more arms, TWF, and Oversized TWF, could you wield a 2H weapon and a 1H weapon with two hands with the minimum penalty?
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

A112 (a). Assuming that the character instead took the Multiweapon Fighting feat from the Monster Manual (which replaces TWF for creatures with 3 or more arms), then Yes.

A112 (b). With the above replacement, also yes.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q123: What happens if I manifest psionic dominate on a creature effected by Microcosm?

Q124: If I use a thought bottle to save my experience and then use psychic reformation to remove the feat item familiar, if I reset my experience using thought bottle would I gain the benefits of the 10% experience gain after using another instance of psychic reformation to regain the item familiar feat?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post
    Q122
    With four or more arms, TWF, and Oversized TWF, could you wield a 2H weapon and a 1H weapon with two hands with the minimum penalty?
    Q125

In this situation, you'd still only get 1/2 str to damage with the second weapon, correct?
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q126

I have a question about the Hellbreaker PrC's (FC2) Telepathic Static ability:

Telepathic Static (Su): Beginning at 1st level, you emit a field of psychic chatter out to a range of 20 feet, negating the telepathy ability of all creatures within range. In addition, divination spells and spell-like abilities cast or used in the area are impeded. To use divination magic, a caster must succeed on a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the level of the spell). If the check fails, the spell or spell-like ability does not function but is still lost as a prepared spell, spell slot, or daily use.
    The underlined portion, "cast or used..." I'm unsure how broad "used" should be interpreted.

Obviously, if someone tried to cast See Invisibility while within the field, it might not work, due to impedance. But what if a character already had See Invisibility up and running, and an invisible Hellbreaker snuck up behind him? Would that potentially shut down the divination spell?

What about the same situation, but instead of See Invisibility, we were talking about a Tanar'ri's continuous True Seeing supernatural ability?
    True Seeing (Su): Glabrezu continuously use true seeing as the spell (caster level 14th).

Q127

How do you rectify the percentile rolls for miss chances if both an attacker and his target are under effects of the Blink spell?

Physical attacks against you have a 50% miss chance, and the Blind-Fight feat doesn’t help opponents, since you’re ethereal and not merely invisible. If the attack is capable of striking ethereal creatures, the miss chance is only 20% (for concealment).

If the attacker can see invisible creatures, the miss chance is also only 20%. (For an attacker who can both see and strike ethereal creatures, there is no miss chance.)
    Part of the 50% miss chance is due to the target going ethereal just as you are about to strike... but now there is a chance that you might also go ethereal just as he does...

What would you do? Both get 20% miss chances on their attacks, and both still lose Dex to AC? Both take 20% miss chances, but don't lose Dex to AC?

How would your answer change if one of the foes was under the effects of Greater Blink, while the other is merely under the effects of Blink?
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2017-08-19 at 10:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Barbarian in the Playground

A124
    First, you should decide with your DM if the link with the item familiar is broken after removing the feat (I'd rule: no, since the bond you establish with the item is permanent). If the link is not broken, loosing and then gaining the feat again is inconsequential, and you cannot invest life energy again.

If you decide that you loose the link, you should consider if your life energy remains invested or not. If your life energy (and the XP) remains in the familiar, then you cannot invest it again; if it doesn't remain, it means that you've lost 10% of your current XP (since they do not belong to you, but to the item), and in addition you loose 200 XP per level.

In any case it's a bad deal.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

A 126 partial

The wording of the ability is messy, to say the least. The effect is clear if the ability is initiated inside the static zone, but not if it's ongoing. My own opinion of RAI is that a caster level check would be required once an ongoing effect enters the static zone, and if it fails, it is dispelled. I can't say this is RAW, so I would call it an "ask your DM" scenario.

In regards to the True Seeing of a Glabrezu, it would not work, as it only affects spells and SLAs, not supernatural abilities.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q 128:

If I use greater metemorphosis to turn into an entropic reaper, dragon or something else and manifest Astral Seed and then later on I die- per RAW does my body reform as the body as a reaper, dragon etc? (Now permanent)
    Last edited by AthasianWarlock; 2017-08-21 at 05:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 128:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD

The body’s constituent parts are pulled as ectoplasm from the Astral Plane, then slowly molded and transformed into a living, breathing body that is an exact duplicate of your body at the time you manifested astral seed (the crystal itself breaks down and becomes a part of the new organic body).
    So, yes it does work like that as per RAW

27. - Top - End - #237
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Q 128:

So, yes it does work like that as per RAW
    Not necessarily permanent though, as you may reform with the metamorphosis power active again. It does say an exact duplicate, which could be argued to include all of your ongoing buffs at the time as well.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Q 129:
    Using Miracle's equivalency clause is there anything that would permit the spell to reduce the amount of time e it takes someone else to craft a magic item?

Q 130:
    Can a rainbow prism ioun stone's PP store be used to fuel a capacitor on a character who does not otherwise have a power point pool?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 131:
    Can Planar Shepherds turn into Plants if their plane is Lamannia? I keep seeing in the planar shepherd handbooks that you can turn into battlebriars and other plants but does the shape have to be an outsider that lives on the plane or just any creature that lives on the plane once your level 9 do any creatures living there count as Outsiders?
    Last edited by Zephonim; 2017-08-22 at 04:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

Q132:
    What are the rules concerning the different versions of a feat ? If a feat is in a setting book (for example one of the Eberron books) does it take precedence over the feat in the "general" book ?

Example:
    - Improved Natural Attack (Eberron Campaign Setting page 55, Monster Manual I, III, IV, V)
    - Extend Rage (Complete Warrior (page 97 is the oldest one, but explicitly include Frenzy, Eberron Campaign setting is more recent but lack the precision for the frenzy, even though it's in the prerequisites)
    - Familiar spell (DMG page 209 is [Epic], Underdark page 25 is [General] and if the spirit is the same the way it works is a little different)

And what about feats from 3.0 as prerequisite for 3.5 feats

Exemple: 3.0 Corrupt Spell feat from Book of Vile Darkness which is a prerequisite for Favor of the zulkirs (Player's Guide to Faerun, page 176) (which makes no sense with 3.5 Corrupt Spell as prerequisite)

Q133:
    What about feats with the same name but different effects or type ?

Example:
    - Discipline (Player's guide to Faerun page 38 and Age of Mortal page 50)
    - Corrupt Spell (Complete Divine page 80, Champions of Ruin page 17)
    - Axiomatic Strike ([General] in Complete Warrior page 96,[Epic] in Player's guide to Faerun page 135)
    Last edited by Ciolfire; 2017-08-23 at 01:36 PM.