New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default How... taxing is Pillars of Eternity?

I'm in the mood for a good solid RPG and I'm interested in getting Pillars of Eternity, of which I've heard few but good things. The problem is that my computer is a tad slow and under-updated for various reasons. It's a MacBook Pro running OS X (10.6.8); the actual computer hardware is from 2011 and has never been repaired or updated or anything like that. Without mentioning anything about the game itself, what sorts of computers have people run PoE on and how well does that work? Do you think my aging, clunky laptop could handle it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: How... taxing is Pillars of Eternity?

We might need a bit more information about your computer's hardware, but here's what I'm using:

MacBook Pro (Mid 2012)
    OS 10.12.5
    2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB Memory
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 video

My setup works well enough. I had some slow load times until I upgraded to a SSD, but nothing unbearable. Occasionally I'll get a noticeable frame rate dip in a big battle with lots of spell effects flying around, but that's not really a problem in this kind of game. If you have the minimum recommended specs, then I think it will be playable.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What is an SSD?

Edit: I have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I'm not sure how that compares.
    Last edited by VoxRationis; 2017-06-19 at 11:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I'm in the mood for a good solid RPG and I'm interested in getting Pillars of Eternity, of which I've heard few but good things. The problem is that my computer is a tad slow and under-updated for various reasons. It's a MacBook Pro running OS X (10.6.8); the actual computer hardware is from 2011 and has never been repaired or updated or anything like that. Without mentioning anything about the game itself, what sorts of computers have people run PoE on and how well does that work? Do you think my aging, clunky laptop could handle it?
    I typically just go to canyourunit.com and see what it says if I'm not sure about a game.

It's not too taxing on my PC which is about 6 or 7 years old. My PC was fairly top of the line when I got it though.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-06-20 at 12:15 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

What is an SSD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Alternatively, Super Star Destroyer. Just in case -teacup has a REALLY big budget. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Alternatively, Super Star Destroyer. Just in case -teacup has a REALLY big budget. ;-)
    Ironically, given the targeting capability, hologram resolution, etc. of ships in the Star Wars universe, the Super Star Destroyer probably has less computing power than the solid state drive.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'm running PoE + the expansions on a Macbook Air 2013 (with a Core i7 / 1.7 Ghz). The Pro was probably a year or two ahead of the Air, so my experience might be useful to you.

One thing I noticed: I bought the game both on GoG and Steam, and both were perfectly playable, but the GoG version's startup and load screens were significantly faster. Also, the Steam version's audio sometimes cut out the first quarter-second of each line of dialog, but only after hours of play. Saving & restarting the game fixed that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I typically just go to canyourunit.com and see what it says if I'm not sure about a game.

It's not too taxing on my PC which is about 6 or 7 years old. My PC was fairly top of the line when I got it though.
    Is canyourunit.com a reputable website? I looked at it and it seemed sketchy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Is canyourunit.com a reputable website? I looked at it and it seemed sketchy.
    I've never had a problem with it. All it does is analyze your system and compare it to the game requirements.

Of course you can always do that yourself, but I'm lazy and not super knowledgeable about computer parts.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I've never had a problem with it. All it does is analyze your system and compare it to the game requirements.

Of course you can always do that yourself, but I'm lazy and not super knowledgeable about computer parts.
    Never had any issues with it either, and while you can just simply do the work yourself its usually a lot easier. You also don't have to deal with figuring out what your GPU is equivalent to if you have something from NVidia that isn't their base tier card for the current gen.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Ironically, given the targeting capability, hologram resolution, etc. of ships in the Star Wars universe, the Super Star Destroyer probably has less computing power than the solid state drive.
    Which would be imperessive considering that a SSD hard drive has no computing power (being a mass storage unit and not a CPU and all that...)

On Topic: wasn't there a Thing about PoE not running on 32 bit Systems? Or was that Wasteland 2?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Which would be imperessive considering that a SSD hard drive has no computing power (being a mass storage unit and not a CPU and all that...)

On Topic: wasn't there a Thing about PoE not running on 32 bit Systems? Or was that Wasteland 2?
    It runs on 32 bit but technically the minimum system requirements are 64 bit. The devs have also commented on it saying it works but its not supported and there may be bugs n crashes etc.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    It's got a drive controller to figure out where and how to put stuff on the flash chips, as well as managing caching and monitoring the status of the storage. It's not a general-purpose processor but it's definitely more than "no computing power".
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

I could run it on my 2010 Toshiba satellite which only has 4gb ram and pretty crappy dedicated graphics.
    Tales from the Trashcan