New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Lilly's Lovely Random Banter #87

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Needz more studiez plz.
    I found quite a few studies on the subject, with the Duke one being the most comprehensive. I don't think anyone is claiming smoking is good for you, just that nicotine has neuroprotective properties, and has potential uses in treatment for Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's if the receptors can be identified.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer View Post
    I decided I awhile ago that I am never going to die. I'm gonna turn 21, and say 21 until an asteroid hits the Earth or something.
    You can actually change reality by willpower alone, I guess. After all, it's a matter of perception. You will be 21 forever. And most of the time for me you look exactly like your current avatar.

Edit: Can I want to have the next RB? I feel like I'd achieve something if I got one, strange as it may sound.
    Also, when last time there was this moment of uncertainty of who was going to do it, I actually made a try of quoting the first message to see how it was done. I didn't post then because I thought the person was going to appear eventually, not that was up for grabs. I'm cursed with awful timing.
    Last edited by FdL; 2007-08-09 at 07:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    I found quite a few studies on the subject, with the Duke one being the most comprehensive. I don't think anyone is claiming smoking is good for you, just that nicotine has neuroprotective properties, and has potential uses in treatment for Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's if the receptors can be identified.
    Might they be Nicotinic Actelycohline receptors?

Okay, I hadn't seen all those studies. Just one of those, don't even think it was the Duke one.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

4. - Top - End - #724
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    Edit: Can I want to have the next RB? I feel like I'd achieve something if I got one, strange as it may sound.
    Also, when last time there was this moment of uncertainty of who was going to do it, I actually made a try of quoting the first message to see how it was done. I didn't post then because I thought the person was going to appear eventually, not that was up for grabs. I'm cursed with awful timing.
    I was going to request the the next one for me due to it's number nature being quite related to Disk world, more specifically, the Color of magic.
    But since you asked first, it would only be fair to give it to you.
    I think no one will have a problem with that.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    We're only on page 25, let this one live before you start claiming the next one! But, sure. If you are around when this one hits page 50, you can start the next one. Is that rule still on the books? There are a couple 50+ page threads in the Gaming forum, so I am not sure. Actually, I can only think of one, and that one needs to be condensed and restarted. Too bad I am a lazy bum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Might they be Nicotinic Actelycohline receptors?
    Iuno, I think it has something to do with isolating the things in the nicotine that help from those that do other things. So far my only chemistry lab experience is working on new kinds of antibiotics, and I've only read the Duke findings in full so I'm not 100% sure what they are trying to do.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Bugbear in the Playground

hmmm..SMEE has remainded me i've just read 3 novels do far...

The colour of Magic
    The Light Fantastic
    Mort

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I'm not "calling dibs" on it yet, I was only expliciting my intention to do so when the time comes. Since most people here have had theirs, and seeing what happened last time when someone claimed it and didn't excercise his privilege, well, I wanted my to be known that I want it.

BTW, page 25 already??? It's amazing how fast these fill :p

9. - Top - End - #729

Fast? Back in MY day, a thread would fill up in a day or two, tops.
    The sad part is, I think this is true. The REALLY sad part is I joined like, four or five months ago.
    Last edited by Cyrano; 2007-08-09 at 08:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    Fast? Back in MY day, a thread would fill up in a day or two, tops.
    The sad part is, I think this is true. The REALLY sad part is I joined like, four or five months ago.
    yeah, when you joined it was going a little fast; although I think the fastest was Gez's first one, which IIRC went by in 18 hours

11. - Top - End - #731
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    yeah, when you joined it was going a little fast; although I think the fastest was Gez's first one, which IIRC went by in 18 hours
    I don't remember which one it was, but I do recall the record being just over 16 hours.

Or 21... Meh.
    Last edited by Lucky; 2007-08-09 at 08:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pirate Lucky by Ceika, Lady Luck by Ego, Lucky Luke by Captain Van Der Decken

12. - Top - End - #732

God, that must have been wonderful. I mean, how on earth would you have been able to hold a topic? It would be unadulterated random!

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigh... those were the fish shoe fins bicycle actualize radii greenly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

14. - Top - End - #734

For the last (first) time! the Chaos Frog quote is not random if you quote it directly! You CAN'T be random if you follow any sort of structure, and a quote is precisely that structure. The order of this thread just went up, like, 3 gigabinaries. Srsly.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

I quoted it directly? I thought I was paraphrasing. Eh, sorry. Just me lawful tendencies what be a-coming out, even when I'm a-trying to be chaotic, don't you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

16. - Top - End - #736

Well, the last part is direct, and, hell, we all know that I don't really listen to you guys anyway, right? [/Coxfakesmile]
    But you are forgiven. Now go out and do stuff that may or may not have anything to do with the Church of Random's objectives! Now I want some pancake.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

All this Law/Chaos stuff is for chumps, and only scratches the underlying issue. Skub, and why anyone who opposes it should burn in every infinite layer of the Abyss, especially the ones that don't have fire, but especially the ones that do.

18. - Top - End - #738

I can take random. Hell, I'm random. I'm insane, too. But I can take random, and sociopaths, and schizophrenia and other insanities. But I cannot, no, will not take bad grammar, SDF! Shape up before I whine at you!

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    I can take random. Hell, I'm random. I'm insane, too. But I can take random, and sociopaths, and schizophrenia and other insanities. But I cannot, no, will not take bad grammar, SDF! Shape up before I whine at you!
    I don't see why I should Donny person, I have plenty of other things to not care about first.

Today I'm finally done with summer school! I finished my finals earlier today. Now I get to enjoy two weeks of time off before fall semester starts, I just might be working full time though...

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

Sweet!

I'm due to start two community college courses in September (creative writing in-classrom and American history online). Having been homeschooled my whole life, my only classroom experience has been drivers' ed last fall. Am a little nervous.

Added to the Physics and Calculus classes I'll be taking from a mathmatician friend of my parents', and the online Farsi I'm doing, this is a pretty heavy load for me, Little Miss Been-Unschooled-Her-Whole-Life.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Sweet!

I'm due to start two community college courses in September (creative writing in-classrom and American history online). Having been homeschooled my whole life, my only classroom experience has been drivers' ed last fall. Am a little nervous.

Added to the Physics and Calculus classes I'll be taking from a mathmatician friend of my parents', and the online Farsi I'm doing, this is a pretty heavy load for me, Little Miss Been-Unschooled-Her-Whole-Life.
    Farsi is really cool, I would love to learn it. I'm currently learning Arabic, which uses almost the same alphabet, and a similar grammar structure. I have to teach myself because the next Uni Arabic class I can take isn't taught until next year. I am taking a physics class sometime next year because several calc classes are required before I can take the one I need for my majors. I'm sure you will do well, most homeschoolers I know do. Ironically, I never took drivers ed when I learned to drive. :P

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    Farsi is really cool, I would love to learn it. I'm currently learning Arabic, which uses almost the same alphabet, and a similar grammar structure. I have to teach myself because the next Uni Arabic class I can take isn't taught until next year. I am taking a physics class sometime next year because several calc classes are required before I can take the one I need for my majors. I'm sure you will do well, most homeschoolers I know do. Ironically, I never took drivers ed when I learned to drive. :P
    I was fully intending to not take it, but then I learned that insurance would be something like 18 dollars less PER MONTH if I did. So I took the stupid course. And trust me, it's not worth the money you pay...well, the driving part was, but with 6 hours in the car and 36 in a classroom reading a mind-numbing textbook and watching videos of people dying in car-train accidents...

Not the best time of my life.

(I think they do it that way on purpose...they soften your brain up with the most boring material they can find, and then while your guard is down, they shock it with these awful bloody videos of dying people. My mom calls it drivers'-ed-by-electroshock-therapy.)

23. - Top - End - #743

I gotta point out that those old threads, the ones that went by in 21 hours or so, were also half the length. Check 'em out some time.
    -Vonriel

"DEMONS RUN WHEN A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR."

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

And I just wanted to point out (before a mod does it) that the bantering speed shouldn't be a matter of discussion...

Bantering speed... That sounds funny...
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

25. - Top - End - #745

Banterin' speed is not a matter of discussion. 'Tis a matter of personal pride or, in the case of THIS forum, great personal shame.
    *sniff*

Anyway, I'm followin' my brothers footsteps. Namely, 22, no driving lessons. Fun.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

I took lessons when I was 16, but then my mum hasn't let me borrow the car since then. My driving is nearly as bad as if I hadn't taken any lessons...
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a lot better driver than most of the people around here. Most of the people around here should not have licenses, I don't understand how they pass in the first place. GAH! I really want to get the Lotus restored so I can learn stick.

28. - Top - End - #748

SDF, nobody actually thinks anyone else can drive. Seriously, just pay attention sometime.
    -Vonriel

"DEMONS RUN WHEN A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR."

29. - Top - End - #749

30. - Top - End - #750
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vonriel View Post
    SDF, nobody actually thinks anyone else can drive. Seriously, just pay attention sometime.
    Too, too true. When everyone else makes a driving mistake, they're terrible drivers and need to get off my road immediately. When I make a mistake, it's because I drive about 500 miles a week (Chinese restaurant driver), it was bound to happen SOMETIME, and it's not like I caused an accident. I'm a good driver, honest.