New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Lilly's Lovely Random Banter #87

I got like a week of vacation left T.T

Anyways. I aced Geography...

I nearly failed Swedish...

Curse you Sweden! (not that I have anything against you guys.)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah summer break, it's that thing that lasts for two weeks after my classes end next week.

I can't claim to be fluent in any foreign language (computer languages don't count ) But I hope to have Arabic completely down by the time I'm done with my undergrad, and to have at least started French, which I want done by the time I finish gradschool. I remember my 7th grade geography book. Now, I was in the 7th grade in '98 but our geography book was written in '89. I will never forget the way they talked about the Berlin wall and how it may not come down in our lifetime. An Ironic statement making the book dated months after it was written. I often wondered why we had new math, science, and English textbooks, but not geography, the one subject that changes the most. Numbers are never going to change, I could use a math text written in the 60s, and unless it was some new zany theoretical stuff it wouldn't matter. I always went to private schools so I'm not sure how well I relate to the US public school system.
    Last edited by SDF; 2007-08-05 at 12:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieRockStar View Post
    Yeah, but the goal of education is hardly just to teach you what's applicable to your job, so yeah, it does matter if a Janitor knows where Sudan is.
    Well, I agree with you that in high school, your education should cover information from every subject. However, in college I am opposed to the idea of having a curriculum composed of classes from all disciplines. I am studying as a chemical engineer. American history is not very important in my chosen work force. If it interests me, I'll study it on my own. If it doesn't, why should I be forced to take that and spend time studying it, when that time could be better utilized on subjects I will need to no to succeed in engineering. And while it may be true that a janitor should be able to find Sudan on a map, it won't affect his work at all. Also, the article is saying that we are unprepared for a global economy. What I was saying is that the people who need to worry about this, will probably be able to. A janitor doesn't need to worry about our global economy. A company head does, and is probably in the percentage of people who can.

The question is, where does this apathy come from that seems to be unique among Americans? And you can't just heap all of the blame on just one factor.
    I have no idea where this apathy comes from. I find it kind of annoying and pathetic though. What annoys me the most about it, is that the most apathetic people tend to be the ones who complain the most. I know the whole problem isn't the laziness of students, but it is a major contributor. I probably know people from high school who couldn't answer these questions. However, we were at a good high school in one of the best school districts in the country. They most likely had teachers who taught them this stuff, but they either didn;t learn it or have forgotten it. Apathy is definitely a factor.

I'm curious, though. Why do these tests that focus on world understanding always use geography as their standard? Wouldn't knowledge of world history be a better indication of how well you understand the world outside your own country?
    I have no idea about this one. I do have another question about the survey though. Where did they get the students from? Is it completely random from the whole country, or from certain areas. Because the country can't take the blame for the school system. Individual states do much better than other states do. As I said, I am in a very good school district. The one next to us, is the Houston school district. They are constantly in the news for messing something up or failing evaluations. Where you go makes a big difference.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bah! The workforce. We shoudl just be paid by government subsidies to sit around and eat. After all, without us, the economy would collapse! They need us, they need to bribe us.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

If only we were that lucky... *sigh*

Oh, from way back when when ZRS said that the simpsons flag is canadian, try pausing at 20 seconds. there is blue.

I AM the dread pirate llamarts.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really don't understand how you can fail to find NY on a map. Most of my "social studies" in 2nd and 3rd grade was memorizing the location, capital, etc. of the states. I can see mixing up the location of New Hampshire and Vermont, but New York is pretty recognizable.
    "I was taught that the human brain was the crowning glory of evolution so far, but I think it’s a very poor scheme for survival."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting (or not so interesting) fact: Last time I was in America and told someone I was from London their reply was "London? That's on the east coast, right?" sadly, this was after I had already told them I was from the UK.

8. - Top - End - #98

You know, I'm fairly certain that you can find the same thing in every other country in the world. It's not just America.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh, In Finland, we study, lets see, Africa, America, South America, Asia, and other various geographical locations in geography. Although I do forget it pretty soon after the test. Anyways. I need to get some more studying done on Swedish. Might be some Apathy going on though, since I get depressed quite easily about failing.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, my brother and I used to memorize the state capitals and then quiz each other on them FOR FUN. It was always the same with history. For his 4th birthday, what he wanted more than anything was to go to the Gettysburg battlesite...and we were fortunate enough to live in PA at the time so we got to go.

That's history for me. Being there and seeing the place it happened. I couldn't tell you what day the battle was fought, but I know any number of facts, obscure and otherwise, about what happened....

So I love history. And geography. The two combined are part of why I like traveling so much - I've been to 36 states and 12 countries, driven from coast to coast twice. There's just something about that kind of experience that makes these places stick in your head.

But a lot of people here where I live have never left the state. It's really hard to connect with them sometimes....

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

History is nice. I always prefferred math, mainly since I don't meed to pay too much attention :P

But that is just becoming boring since it feels like I know most things already, outside of some formulas. Chemistry is always fun. I got a Chemistry work course along with Chemistry next year :D

I also took Digital Picture management or something like that since we had to pick 2 long and 2 short subjects...

I just want to show off my 1337 avy skills :P

The ironic thing is, I hope my school gets optical mice. The mouse balls always get stolen XD

And D'anna: I've had to say this for so long. Your avatar is weird on so many levels...
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2007-08-05 at 03:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Geography...meh. I've always been interested when I'm on site, but in a classroom, getting what amounts to rote memorization about other places I don't know anything about (Barring GNP and various statistics), I really find I couldn't care less. Math is fine, but I get bad marks because I'm good enough in it that I don't listen, don't study, but do manage to screw up and make stupid mistakes because it's too easy. Probably the most interesting course would be Science, because I'm bad enough it's a challenge but good enough that I don't succumb to numbing despair. Unfortunately, this year's science teacher sat us down, gave us busy work and did his email every single frickin' day out of the 180-odd we had. As far as I know, he doesn't have any actual friends, so I don't know who he's emailing...
    Penguin: Good. Gooooooooooooooood. *Evil tenting of fingers*.
    Last edited by Cyrano; 2007-08-05 at 03:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

My favorite subjects have always been math, chemistry, and physics. Hence my decision to pursue chemical engineering. I'm actually a pretty good writer, but writing is one of my least favorite things to do. The fact I tested out of English and don't have to write papers in college fills me with intense joy. History and geography bore me. I don't enjoy other sciences as much, but they can be interesting.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    You know, I'm fairly certain that you can find the same thing in every other country in the world. It's not just America.
    Sorry I didn't clarify, the person thought it was on the east coast of America, after I had I just said I was from England. I found it strange though as I had never come across such geographical inaccuracy in America before that.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'm going to go for an Electronics or a Mathematics career...

And now for something completely different that still isn't Monty Pythone

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

I might be going to Antarctica next year!

That will be one of the hardest continents to try to step foot on taken care of.

Currently 3/7
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post

That will be one of the hardest continents to try to step foot on taken care of.

Currently 3/7
    I envy you and your environmental awesomeness, Logic.

I mena, uh, OH YEAH? Well, I'm staying right here! In Montreal! Ha! Take that!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Aww, I kinda wish I could go there. Meeting my cousins you know. Or was that the north pole. Or did I just mess up my poles. That sounds way off...

Anyways...

I need to find the most epic topic ever...

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    I envy you and your environmental awesomeness, Logic.

I mena, uh, OH YEAH? Well, I'm staying right here! In Montreal! Ha! Take that!
    Enviromental awesomeness? Is that like being a tree hugging hippie or something? (No offence intended to one "smellie_hippie")
    I shall choose to take that as a compliment.
    Last edited by Logic; 2007-08-05 at 03:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Firbolg in the Playground

Enjoy Antarctica. See penguins and go for a swim in the Antactic Ocean. Then take a soak in hot water; on account of how there's a volcano somewhere nearby. Well, you can do it on a cruise. Plus you get a spiffy certifaicate saying; "I swam in the Antarctic Ocean".

I've always loved History and Geography and English. I also enjoy French.

And on the subject of American geograhy:
    My Geo teacher went to a Texan High School. Before she gave a talk on the UK and Geo in general she said, "What do you know about the UK?" meaning anything at all.
    Ten minutes later all she had was "The Beatles were like English weren't they?" and "You, like have a Queen don't you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    I think I'm going to go for an Electronics or a Mathematics career...

And now for something completely different that still isn't Monty Pythone
    That was downright disturbing, and may constitute a warning for gore. And, goddamnit, stop your links! Not ONE of them has benifited my mental health. In fact, I am now slightly MORE of a gibbering wreck than I used to be!

Logic: No, it's more like "You live on an active volcano, so you must be an uber cool villain!" sort of a deal. It's a compliment. Deal with it.
    Last edited by Cyrano; 2007-08-05 at 03:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with you on that one. That is disturbing.

KHAAAAAAAN!

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    I agree with you on that one. That is disturbing.

KHAAAAAAAN!
    Ahhh, so infamous, so deserving of it's title. That guy in the suit must be so embarassed at christmas dinners.
    "So what do you do for a living?"
    "I, uh, get badly made lizard suits, and, uh...duel with William Shatner..."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

D'anna, we are like parasitic beings. We both strive on eachothers weirdness...

Also, this one is actually good. http://youtube.com/watch?v=GaAvNHWjI...elated&search=

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Interesting (or not so interesting) fact: Last time I was in America and told someone I was from London their reply was "London? That's on the east coast, right?" sadly, this was after I had already told them I was from the UK.
    Although technically your interlocutor was correct. London's just inland from Essex County.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post

Seriously mate, unless you're drilling the ice cores (for whatever weird and fetishistic reason people do such things), why are you going to Antarctica? Haven't you read what happened to people like Scott and the Pabodie Expedition?
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2007-08-05 at 04:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

And he may have, in fact, been thinking of New London or maybe London, Ontario, which is not near any coast, though near enough to a few shores.

Beh. I have a theory that all major stereotypical cities in the world (being New York, Paris, London and Tokyo...with perhaps the Sydney Opera House thrown in for good measure) are all the same city. Viewing certain movies (i.e. those with made-up cities or just "The Big City") has confirmed this. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get plane tickets to "The Big City." Despite having all those skyscrapers and tourist attractions, it must not have an international airport.
    Last edited by ZombieRockStar; 2007-08-05 at 04:23 PM.
    Remember when I had an avatar?

27. - Top - End - #117

Penguiniser, that link was just amazing. A drunk Jackie Chan; those really weird faces he pulls and martial arts! I'm happy. Ver happy.

And ZRS, I'm pretty sure there's a mickey take like that somewhere. *asks Penguiniser to look for it* and Tokyo Tower shows up in nearly all anime too.
    Weird, stupid archetypical cities of the world. And you forgot LA, San Francisco and Rome. Maybe not so much Rome.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

28. - Top - End - #118

Oh, forgot Venice too. Though that may just come from Babe: Pig in the City. LA only shows up because there's always a sign on a hill reminding the people of the city what city they live in...just in case they forgot.
    Remember when I had an avatar?

29. - Top - End - #119

Yeah! There's a 'city' on the back of Babe:Pig In The City that has a landmark from virtually any city you'd care to name. It looks very strange. Canals; Big Ben's Tower; Empire State Building and some others.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, when you said "England", the person to whom you were speaking might have thought "New England"...or something. Or maybe there's no excuse and it was just plain dumb.

I think most subjects can be interesting if you have a good enough teacher. A crap teacher can make you fall asleep even if it's the most exciting subject in the world.