New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Kubera

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Kubera

Kubera by Currygom is a delightful fantasy Manga webcomic dealing with Hindu Demons, Gods and the mortals caught in between.

Kubera lives in a small town. One day, when she came back to home, she found out that high-rank Suras wiped out the town. Therefore, she escapes to the city to get Asha's help who is a great wizard.
    After a long hiatus it is updating again.

Can be read here: Kubera (on webtoons)

Currently at: Season 3 Episode 7.2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kubera

I'm glad the official translation has caught up, it looks like a lot of the early quality issues have been ironed out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I wonder if season 3 will wrap things up, or if we still have a decade to go.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I heard there will be no happy endings to this story but I still hold hope it won't be too bleak.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

new comic

I love the fiery depiction of Agni. Really beautiful art.

Brilith dilemma is interesting. Agni is a God and isn't it expected that a God sees into his follower's heart? At least, that's the way it is in our concept of religion. But once you're dealing with them on a personal basis it's easy to forget how different they are from you. I hope the interspecies relationships in the story will work out. Yuta and Kubera can make it work again somehow, after everything they went through and how much they feel for each other it would be really sad if that's how they end. Gandarva and his priestess of chaos as well. Despite all the melancholy and lost opportunities, the characters of Kubera are filled with optimism. They can and should try again.

Though I'm impatient for Kubera to reappear already.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Having started reading this from the beginning... man, that is some poor dialogue and storytelling.
    The protagonist is such in name only (and a terrible person when the plot requires, for ...comedy?), endless meandering to other characters I don't care about and every chapter introduces even more characters that are all cooler/better/stronger than the protagonist. The pacing/mood is all over the place. And no one explains anything of relevance to anyone else, focusing on an inconsistent/incoherent magic system instead.

(I'm 66 chapters in. This is showing very few signs of improving, in spite of me holding out hope. )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Having started reading this from the beginning... man, that is some poor dialogue and storytelling.
    The protagonist is such in name only (and a terrible person when the plot requires, for ...comedy?), endless meandering to other characters I don't care about and every chapter introduces even more characters that are all cooler/better/stronger than the protagonist. The pacing/mood is all over the place. And no one explains anything of relevance to anyone else, focusing on an inconsistent/incoherent magic system instead.

(I'm 66 chapters in. This is showing very few signs of improving, in spite of me holding out hope. )
    I don't think it's as bad as you say. It's a story about a character growing up and becoming something special. They don't start out as a super-special-awesome-snowflake like most main characters in the genre, and that's a good thing.

It is going to be intentionally mysterious for quite some time though. It's designed that way to keep people reading, but I can see why it might be frustrating.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with Anteros. I don't disagree with those criticisms; in some ways, though, those are also the things that make it appealing. But it won't be for everyone.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Gandharva's future is looking grimmer and grimmer. It's been pretty grim from the start but now he's facing imminent death every update. I hope he has a future. Last week update surprised me. I thought he did create a sea for his people in the Sura realm. His daughter was going to die without it and didn't he become relatively weak because he used his powers to create that sea? It paints him in a different light now. More of an indecisive coward, though true altruism is rarer than we'd like even among humans.

When last season ended I though the End would be Kubera taking over Ananta's role as the Snake clan leader while Gandharva becomes the new Kubera God. Yuta and (former) Kubera can finally be together safely in Sura realm and Ganharva and Agni friends in the God realm.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

About the story in general, I won't say it's perfect. The thing I disliked the most in the story was Asha. She was given such a central role in the story but I rarely felt she lived up to the hype. Her fighting and magical abilities were impressive and fun to watch but otherwise she was flat. And not even particularly beautiful despite what everyone in comic says. (Brilith for example is gorgeous.) It almost felt like she cast a spell on everyone to be awed by her. Luckily, she's gone now.

Kubera's story on the other hand was really engaging. The story really took off in Kalibloom. The various sura and side characters were also well made.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I kinda liked what they did with Ashe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So often in anime and manga you see characters that are abusive towards others and everyone just accepts it because that's how they show love. With Ashe we think we're getting that trope for a long time, but then it turns out that she's actually even more terrible than we thought. I really hope there's no redemption planned for her.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic

Spoiler: spoilers
    Show
    I wasn't expecting the story to go in this way. So the Tarakas clan will destroy everything if they're not stopped and the Suras were banished to dreary sura-realm as sacrificial scapegoats to handle them by themselves. (The gods' dastardly plan probably didn't work because they weren't aware Kali bore a child. Though Vishnu probably did know...) I hope this story doesn't end as one big tragedy with all the main characters dying to save the human world.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

new comic

Spoiler: spoilers
    Show
    Leez is still missing but we get something just as good. Brilith dreams of the past. She's still a young woman and a super cute one at that in them. Witnessing how her friendship with the unpolished Asha is fascinating. I'm hooked.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm enjoying Kubera as well. The author puts a lot of thought into the characters motivations, though it can be a lot to keep track of.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

I like it a lot, but like you said it's a lot to keep track of. Plus, with the hiatus I've already forgotten almost everything. I plan on letting season 3 end and then binging the entire thing again...but that will probably be a long long time from now.