New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Follow up Phone question.

Couple of weeks ago I put out a question looking for help on a case for an iPhone 6 I'll be getting soon.

And I've found one other thing I think I'm going to need to look into.

Does anyone know, if there are any accessories for iPhone or that are at least iPhone compatible, that will boost the strength of the phone and the phones internet data signal? (I.E., if I'm in a spot were I can't get bars, an accessory that would help me get bars, or if I'm getting them sporadically or only able to get like, 1 bar, it would help me get more and get them more consistently.)

Does such a gadget exist, and if so, does anyone know of it and where it could be found?
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Follow up Phone question.

I know there's a case called a Reachcase, and an attachable ReachAntenna on Amazon or at Best Buy which claims to do just that, but the reviews are all over the place. To be fair, there's a bazillion factors why it wouldn't work that a less-tech-savvy consumer won't think about.

If there's a specific location that you have sole access to where you want service, each of the major carriers have a signal booster available for those people who live/work in a more remote than normal area. These are usually a tad on the pricy side, but it's just a one-time cost in most cases, unless they have some sort of extended service plan (which may be a financing ploy, more than likely).

A note on both- They'll often suggest that these products will save battery life, but know that they're saying that in the "you shouldn't be roaming as much" meaning, rather than the "actual battery life savings" meaning.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It's more the building I work in kills my cell phone service something fierce. I'll randomly waver form 2 bars to no signal in the main office area I work in frequently, and the rest of the interior of the building, unless your right smack up against a door or window (and sometimes even if you are.), are just as bad or, if you go further in beyond the perimeter areas, even worse.

This is largely what I'm looking to correct. I don't need perfect signal, but consistency staying at or above 2 bars would be nice.
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't think a case exist, but a thing that actually exist is a Cellular Repeater

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_repeater

It basically catches tower signal and amplify it for you. So you put it in a place that have better signal, it catch the signal and rebroadcast it (or whatever it's called) to you.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps I phrased it badly. I had asked about a case for drop and water protection awhile back.

I was asking about something akin to what you linked above as a separate item. I was not intending to express interest in a case that would boost signal. That would be silly and likely come at the cost of actually protecting the phone in any meaningful way.

That said, yes, that does look like it might be just the ticket. How much do you think one of those would run for, and do they have to be stationary or is it something I could just turn on, stick in a pocket, and go about the building and get a benefit from?
    "I Burn!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't know how much it cost in your place, but around here, it cost maybe about 100-200 bucks (relatively expensive for me) and how you use it is you have to leave it somewhere with good signal. It will catch the good signal, and amplify/rebroadcast it to you.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Cool. Sounds like this is what I need to look into. Anyone have any recommendations for specific brands or distributors who are reputable?
    "I Burn!"