New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

Can we extend the end date to next Friday I couldn't muster the will to hammer through everything today?

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    Can we extend the end date to next Friday I couldn't muster the will to hammer through everything today?
    Sure thing, boss.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #123

Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #124

MindFlayer

So how about a Holiday themed contest or Winter themed one.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2017-10-13 at 11:00 AM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I would prefer a horror themed contest.
    Professional Sorcerer Advocate.

Winner of the Base Class Contest XXXX 'Happy Little Accidents'
    Winning Entry: The Antiquarian (Artifacts, Options).
    Runner Up for Base Class Context XXXXI 'It's In Our Nature'
    Entry: The Egregore (Vermin Companion)

6. - Top - End - #126

MindFlayer

If we were not halfway through month i would agree.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

How about a theme of entropy? With it being autumn and all.
    My Homebrew:
    3 Elemental Feats
    Vgilmat, the race of little giants (with accompanying archetypes and feats)

8. - Top - End - #128

In 1st Place: The harbinger, by Lanth Sor!
    In 2nd Place: The egregore, by Knitifine!
    In 3rd Place: The feyblessed, by sengmeng!

Next contest will be up in a day or two. Congratulations to the participants.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Congratulations everybody!

10. - Top - End - #130

MindFlayer

Finally. I wish it was against jorg or zaydos. But great job everyone.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    Finally. I wish it was against jorg or zaydos. But great job everyone.
    I wasn't sure whether we were still using cloak-and-dagger voting and "Nature" didn't inspire me much anyway. If I had participated, I was thinking of making someone who created a moving plant around them, but the concept never really went anywhere.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    I wasn't sure whether we were still using cloak-and-dagger voting and "Nature" didn't inspire me much anyway. If I had participated, I was thinking of making someone who created a moving plant around them, but the concept never really went anywhere.
    Pillars of Eternity has a thing that would let that concept be somewhat interesting, in that it's a group of symbiotic-with-eachother plants. That are also parasitizing a humanoid creature to use for their skeleton. The implementation is, essentially, having a choice list where the choices come from using various plants to make your floral chimeric exo-suit. Having the options be dominantly low-HD Plant creatures makes it so that you can have them head off as minions, using a HD control cap.

13. - Top - End - #133

Apologies for getting it up late, but here's the new contest.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Hm.... anyone else planning anything?

Considering. Class that works via absorbing kills.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    Hm.... anyone else planning anything?

Considering. Class that works via absorbing kills.
    Well, it needs to have some means of healing or otherwise supporting to fit the theme.

I'm probably going to do some subsystem shenanigans, myself, but mainly crib off of existing subsystems. Not sure which subsystem, might just be a Necrocarnum setup, or maybe one of the homebrew subsystems out there. Ritual Magic is a bit too extreme, while Limit(Final Fantasy styled) could work for a mixed setup. Maybe take one of the one-off subsystems like Truenaming or Shadowcasting.

Hmm... Ultimately, I want to be doing a life-transfering alchemist kind of character, and I've been working on the concepts and mechanics needed to turn only the Bloodtinge stuff from Bloodborne into a Martial Discipline that doesn't fill space with purely sequential number improvements. Maybe use the class as a sort of soundboard for the thematics of messing with Tome of Battle fluff to accomplish what I want. ToB Blade Magic is partly Ki and partly the mundane motions, which means that the Ki side can be altered significantly by classes. Moving it to positive/negative energy makes it meet the requirements of this contest, while accomplishing what I want largely means making item crafting class features. ToB could use some crafting, anyway, and the Ki fluff gives an opening for it by having Ki-infused items providing the effect.

Having them tied to Manoeuvres like magic items seems kinda wrong, particularly given how Disciplines usually only have two or three effects throughout the whole thing. General requirements, like "X Manoeuvres of Y Discipline" are the real thing here. Sometimes tags too, like needing two Desert Wind Boosts to make a Supernatural Fire Elemental summoning item, or needing a Shadow Hand Rush/[Teleportation] Manoeuvre to make a teleportation item.

...this is assuming that I actually work over the thing, mind you. Most of the system will probably be external to the class post so that I have it ready for other Contests.

16. - Top - End - #136

I was thinking of revisiting my karmic spellcasting mechanics from a previous contest and making a martial half caster who switches from living to undead depending on whether their karma is positive or negative at the moment.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I imagine I'll only start working on an entry December 1st, once class is out, but I'm planning on doing an invocation using necromancer.

18. - Top - End - #138

Kobold

I call dibs on a class ability that is a drawback that forces the character to start the game middle aged and higher levels force you to be even older. The capstone is obviously partly yo restore it.

"I traded my life for power."
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    I call dibs on a class ability that is a drawback that forces the character to start the game middle aged and higher levels force you to be even older. The capstone is obviously partly yo restore it.

"I traded my life for power."
    Make sure to minimize mental score scaling, because ageing always increases mental scores. I'd throw in immunity to other forced ageing or ability scaling by age category, making sure to do something to stop Dragonwrought Kobold shenanigans from screwing it all up.

Also, needs more Renewal on it to properly fit the contest.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

biggrin Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

I think it's kind of funny how in here everyone likes. "This concept needs more renewal to fit the base class", while in the prestige class context people are like "Yeah, blowing stuff up is totally on theme with small things."

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Knitifine View Post
    I think it's kind of funny how in here everyone likes. "This concept needs more renewal to fit the base class", while in the prestige class context people are like "Yeah, blowing stuff up is totally on theme with small things."
    Hey, you blow things up and they're small now.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Hey, you blow things up and they're small now.
    Ah yeah, I forgot the secret third definition of small: Deconstructed.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

Well, fine, I suppose I will rise to the thinly-veiled bait.

You see, for the majority of these contests, the theme has been used as inspiration. A starting point. Not a choking restriction. This was just as true when I won the dungeons contest with a DM class - no, a DM doesn't necessarily actually have anything to do with dungeons, and the class in question had no conection to dungeons. But the connection to the theme wasn't there. There wasn't anyone wondering why the DM didn't have any actual dungeon-related stuff in it because people understand that the dungeon master's name is in itself the connection.

This was equally true when I won the discovery contest with the inventor because everyone with even a shred of intellectual honesty (which I understand is a category which excludes you, but try to pretend for a moment) can understand that the two are closely linked. It was equally true when I won the sweets contest by playing on the word sweet because everyone grokked intrinsically that that was a valid thing you can do. It was also true when I won the eight schools of magic contest by making a class themed around a bunch of extra schools because again, that's a thing you can do. And it will be true if I win the prestige class contest.

The entire point of the leveller is about little people destroying big things, about the "How the mighty have fallen!" aesthetic (I didn't quote the entirety of Ozymandias in the preface for the sheer hell of it), and about how even the thousand-foot spires of the tallest tower are nothing before a 5 ft 5 wizard with a temperament.

And though I do say so myself, I think that this kind of tangential play on the theme is actually cleverer than "It fit with dungeon theme because it work good in dungeon! It fit with discovery theme because it discover! It fit with small theme because size category go down!" Certainly, the idea of being creative with the theme shouldn't be restricted, let alone prevented outright.

Of course I'm sure you won't listen to me since you seem to have this weird hate-on for me, mainly because I keep being right I suppose, but that's on you. *Mic drop.*

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I was thinking of having the class really focus on zombie and skeleton minions. But I don't like how 3.5 does them, should I include an errata to those creatures to make it work or just name my version like... fleshys and bonepals?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, I complained about that! And I'm the one doing the swarm-controlling PRC that's wound up with a touch of Changeling in that the casting progression function can be changed on a daily basis. Makes a Psion dip pretty useful by letting you apply the progression to Psion instead of getting Wilder manifesting.

...Digging more into the life-transfering ToB Alchemist idea I'm floating at the moment(won't start it until I'm done with Hive Master), I'll probably give it access to Desert Wind, Divine Spirit, Shadow Hand and White Raven. Damage, more damage and healing, yet more damage and also shenanigans, and then buffing other people because t3/borderline t2.

I was thinking of having the class really focus on zombie and skeleton minions. But I don't like how 3.5 does them, should I include an errata to those creatures to make it work or just name my version like... fleshys and bonepals?
    ...Or I could shamelessly steal this concept and apply it to a metazombie setup that uses abnormal statblocks, like using the Evil subtype instead of Always Evil alignment. Then tack on Deathless as Good-subtyped with abilities built around shenanigans with making Undead that have effects based on what subtypes they have.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Post Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Hey, I complained about that! And I'm the one doing the swarm-controlling PRC that's wound up with a touch of Changeling in that the casting progression function can be changed on a daily basis. Makes a Psion dip pretty useful by letting you apply the progression to Psion instead of getting Wilder manifesting.
    Yeah. To me allowing stuff that far removed from the concept kind of killed the integrity of the contest to me, but everyone has their own standards, I just thought it was really funny how far removed the two contests were in mood despite being on the same board.

I'll be posting the skeleton for my class up soon.

Edit: It's technically up now, if anyone wants to look at a jumble of ideas, wrapped in a bundle of edge, cushioned by a bun of snark.
    Last edited by Knitifine; 2017-11-06 at 04:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Kobold

Try treating them as a swarm or a squad using pathfinder as a basis. Basically, each spacd represents a whole rank that combines all units together to make one big horde.

Simply being close causes damage, because thats so many skeletons going at you. For added fun, have it so that the swarm or squad is made of a mix of undead with upgrades adding more types fluff wise.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2017-11-06 at 07:00 PM.

Current Projects:

Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

That's a really cool idea, but it's not what I'm going for right now.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The class skeleton is now done, including descriptions of all it's core abilities. All that needs to be done is detail how all the invocations work and replace the snark with the flavor and space-saving-text with elaborated rules text.

Edit: I have wrote all the invocation descriptions for non-warlock, non-undead-raising invocations. The undead raising invocations will have to wait till I finish feel like writing out a ton of monster stat blocks.
    Edit 2: Okay, now everything except that new undead/undead creation spells are done.
    Last edited by Knitifine; 2017-11-07 at 11:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Does anyone know a good website for art? I've been looking up necromancer pictures, but I can't find any that aren't owned by companies or on deviantart (which exploits artists and steals their work, so I don't really wanna go there.)