New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Thread! Yay, thread!

Also, has scienceJormengand gone too far?
    Only if round the bend is too far

I believe that the darkness reminds us what light can be

My Extended Homebrew Signature

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

Well, I've completed the Rescuer class, and I have a few ideas for AFCs I might add.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Knower of Things is up. Note: I dont actually watch Game of Thrones
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

So, apart from the fact that the build point values in the table are still placeholders (I'll work them out, promise!), the wanderer is done. Plzrate+comment. Tell me if you think any of the build point costs are crazy, or if you'd like to see psionics/truespeak/whatever as options for the wanderer.

5. - Top - End - #215

Well yesterday was given as the final day for submitting/editing. Does everyone feel ready?
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Nod, get treat.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Well yesterday was given as the final day for submitting/editing. Does everyone feel ready?
    Ready for anything! And if I can make a class that can be anything in that time, well, what's anyone else's excuse?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Good luck everyone, and I hope you're all having a fun summer weekend!

8. - Top - End - #218

Ready for anything! And if I can make a class that can be anything in that time, well, what's anyone else's excuse?
    You were still looking for a PEACH, though. So was I. I probably won't make the a voting thread until Monday anyway, so feel free to edit til then.

Nod, get treat.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Banned

I guess I can get some quick PEACHing done:

Humble Hero: Improved competence is pointless because if you're rushed or threatened, there's no way you can afford to spend 20 times as long on a task as normal. Destiny is rarely useful; it wouldn't be overpowered to grant the fulfilled version at level 1 (the regular version provides, on average, a +0.45 bonus to all d20 rolls; the fulfilled version a +0.95 and an improved threat range by 1). Fortune's grace is probably too good on someone with all high saves in the first place - it was fine on paladin because it didn't provide the bonus to AC, the paladin didn't have all high saves, and the paladin needs wisdom, strength and constitution. Determination is probably okay but improved determination makes you near-immune to a lot of stuff. Teamwork feat is oddly worded - it's clear enough what it's meant to mean but you could stand to reword it so that allies are only treated as having the feat for as long as they adventure with you, rather than actually granting the feat and taking it away when they leave. As written, people don't get the feat on joining your party. Inspiration is too strong: it's roughly the effects of ten different minor marshal auras stacked on top of each other - and the marshal only gets one of the minor auras active at a time. All of the fire-forged friends benefits are exceptionally useful, and giving people spells a level early is really, really powerful, and also cohorts are almost always OP. Mythical relies a lot on DM fiat but could be quite powerful, well maybe?

Rescuer: Functionally-unconditional extra damage of that calibre is pretty strong (especially since dealing nonlethal damage to enemies is usually just as good as dealing lethal damage to them even if you want them dead because CdGs exist). Medical training fails to make the heal skill worthwhile before 14th level.

Knower of Things: This class is just weird because it seems to be based around taking a single quotation excessively literally. In any case, dead levels are bad (at 15th level, you get a grand total of +1 to reflex and that's it) so maybe handle that.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Rescuer: Functionally-unconditional extra damage of that calibre is pretty strong (especially since dealing nonlethal damage to enemies is usually just as good as dealing lethal damage to them even if you want them dead because CdGs exist). Medical training fails to make the heal skill worthwhile before 14th level.
    My initial thought with subduing strikes was that it would be balanced out by the number of creatures that are outright immune to non-lethal damage, but I reviewed some of the numbers and I think you may have a point. As such, I've dropped the damage die for subduing strikes from a d6 to a d4.
    As for Medical training, I reshuffled some of the lower level benefits, moving the AoO avoidance to 2nd level, moving the Rapid Heal check to 10th, and added the ability to grant creatures temp hp at 6th.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Humble Hero: Improved competence is pointless because if you're rushed or threatened, there's no way you can afford to spend 20 times as long on a task as normal. Destiny is rarely useful; it wouldn't be overpowered to grant the fulfilled version at level 1 (the regular version provides, on average, a +0.45 bonus to all d20 rolls; the fulfilled version a +0.95 and an improved threat range by 1). Fortune's grace is probably too good on someone with all high saves in the first place - it was fine on paladin because it didn't provide the bonus to AC, the paladin didn't have all high saves, and the paladin needs wisdom, strength and constitution. Determination is probably okay but improved determination makes you near-immune to a lot of stuff. Teamwork feat is oddly worded - it's clear enough what it's meant to mean but you could stand to reword it so that allies are only treated as having the feat for as long as they adventure with you, rather than actually granting the feat and taking it away when they leave. As written, people don't get the feat on joining your party. Inspiration is too strong: it's roughly the effects of ten different minor marshal auras stacked on top of each other - and the marshal only gets one of the minor auras active at a time. All of the fire-forged friends benefits are exceptionally useful, and giving people spells a level early is really, really powerful, and also cohorts are almost always OP. Mythical relies a lot on DM fiat but could be quite powerful, well maybe?
    Thanks for the input! First a design note - the Hero was intended as a more passive character, tough/resistant but lacking BAB, spells, sneak attack, or anything that would put him at the forefront of combat. Instead, he's a good skillmonkey and more importantly greatly enhances his party members. With respect to power level the Hero is unusual, in that he's weak himself but can arguably advance the tiers of other classes.

Improved Competence - I worded this badly, rephrased now to take 20 at will, basically.

Destiny & Destiny Fulfilled - you're quite correct but for flavour reasons and since it messes with a core mechanic (the titular d20 mechanic, in fact!) I'll leave it in the diluted form.

Fortune's Grace & Determination - in keeping with the design, the Hero will survive most anything but remain in a support role.

Teamwork feats -thanks, reworded it a bit. Still bonus feats, much like a familiar or an ioun stone granting Alertness, but hopefully clearer.

Inspiration - certainly more powerful than a marshal or a bard song, but doesn't benefit the Hero himself (made that explicit).

Fire-Forged Friends- made the cohorts into a DM-approval option. The benefits are powerful but hopefully fun, and since they again rely on party cohesion/don't directly benefit the Hero it's hopefully acceptable.

Thanks again!

I suppose I should chip in with some feedback too, though at this late date I'm not sure it'll be useful. I may end up simply repeating this in the actual voting thread.

Wanderer- it's safe to say that this will qualify for 1st or 2nd place and probably some of the other awards too. The only worry is the complexity; players without total system mastery might prefer a pre-built class. The expanded spell lists in particular are a nice touch.

Professional - I love the Renown concept but it might need a bit of fine-tuning (did you mean ability bonus instead of skill bonus?). It's a pity you didn't get to flesh out the other sections, any chance you have it lying around waiting to be posted? :)

Rescuer - another support class, one that can hold its own too! They might benefit from an ability to damage creatures immune to nonlethal damage e.g. undead and constructs.

Knower of Things - Is there a mention of whether spells can remove the Intelligence damage? Realistically they should, but the mechanic may be broken if so. The feline of enterprise is probably game-breaking anyways though; a mug of ale is 4 cp, so 15 mugs x 4 cp (1 charge to activate avatar, 14 charges to use on feline) = 60 cp to guarantee a 1%-19% return on the investment. 60 cp is a pittance when you're getting hundreds and thousands of gold back on your initial investment of 100 gold.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Professional - I love the Renown concept but it might need a bit of fine-tuning (did you mean ability bonus instead of skill bonus?). It's a pity you didn't get to flesh out the other sections, any chance you have it lying around waiting to be posted? :)
    Unfortunately, I got lost in character creation and totally forgot about my class/the contest. Yes, skill bonus was intended as your skill is what is granting the renown.
    @sengmeng If possible I'd like to have an EXT as the date was previously moved from the 24th 11:59pm GMT -5.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-06-19 at 11:16 AM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    @sengmeng If possible I'd like to have an EXT as the date was previously moved from the 24th 11:59pm GMT -5.
    It wasn't, actually, but extension granted.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2018-06-19 at 12:43 PM.

Nod, get treat.

14. - Top - End - #224

MindFlayer

I modified my date request so the rest of the sentence didnt make sense :D oops.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

15. - Top - End - #225

MindFlayer

Contest Thread: Here

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Contest Thread: Here
    Woohoo! You work quickly. Are we all ready to submit the contest?

17. - Top - End - #227

MindFlayer

I noticed the tread hadn't been linked but I need to at least complete 6 professions.

I'd like some review of the magnum opuses as for balance concerns.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-06-21 at 10:33 AM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I noticed the tread hadn't been linked but I need to at least complete 6 professions.

I'd like some review of the magnum opuses as for balance concerns.
    The Magnum Opuses don't seem game-breaking, apart from the soldier (replacing your saves, attack rolls, damage rolls,etc with automatic 20's or higher). You missed the aristocrat too (copy-pasted from alchemist).

19. - Top - End - #229

MindFlayer

The Magnum Opuses don't seem game-breaking, apart from the soldier (replacing your saves, attack rolls, damage rolls,etc with automatic 20's or higher). You missed the aristocrat too (copy-pasted from alchemist).
    Aristocrat has no work done.

Soldier does what I want it to do but I want to find a happy medium of how much it can use it. The idea is being like FMA Wrath with his eye open or the Taskmaster.

Thoughts are to make it a once per round thing, make it a hard minute/day in 1 round increments, or maybe add a greater tax like it applies 1 con drain per round.

Updated to have harder tax.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-06-21 at 03:11 PM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

20. - Top - End - #230

MindFlayer

Last minute, hope it doesn't suck.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Just out of curiosity, what's the procedure for nominating themes for the next contest?

My Homebrew

Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what's the procedure for nominating themes for the next contest?
    None really, make as many suggestions as you like and see if they appeal.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

None really, make as many suggestions as you like and see if they appeal.
    Sounds good. Well, after flipping through random articles on Wikipedia for inspiration I've come up with a few ideas;

Water/sailing
    School
    Sports
    Underground
    Weather

My Homebrew

Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Banned

I swear that I end up in charge of, like, everything. Voting thread.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sincere apologies, everyone. Real life finally caught up to me too much to be super active and things aren't looking good in that regard for the near future. I may be able to vote in the voting threads, though, and if someone wants to take over the contests, I can copy-paste the table in the first post of this thread and noparse it so that person can keep up on the contest archives without falling too far behind.

Otherwise, I've been 'brewing in what happy spare time I have, so I'll be posting that outside of this thread, and if a theme comes by that I like, I may be able to whip something up. We'll see. Unlikely, but maybe, depending on how much exactly is on my plate in the next month or two.

Anyway, good luck all...and again, sorry for the delay and absence. Too easy to forget things when stuff has you busy.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2018-07-11 at 05:13 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Sincere apologies, everyone. Real life finally caught up to me too much to be super active and things aren't looking good in that regard for the near future. I may be able to vote in the voting threads, though, and if someone wants to take over the contests, I can copy-paste the table in the first post of this thread and noparse it so that person can keep up on the contest archives without falling too far behind.

Otherwise, I've been 'brewing in what happy spare time I have, so I'll be posting that outside of this thread, and if a theme comes by that I like, I may be able to whip something up. We'll see. Unlikely, but maybe, depending on how much exactly is on my plate in the next month or two.

Anyway, good luck all...and again, sorry for the delay and absence. Too easy to forget things when stuff has you busy.
    What is this "real life" you speak of? Everyone knows there is nothing beyond the forum. /jk

Seriously though, no worries and thanks for hosting the earlier contests! Plus Jorm is revelling in their new powers haha.

P.S. Jorm and Temotei, I think the Imgur scandal nabbed your avatars too. :(
    Last edited by rferries; 2018-07-11 at 05:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post

Just glad you're okay.

Nod, get treat.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Firbolg in the Playground

It took me a little over an hour of free time cobbled together to read everyone's entries except for the wanderer.

Gods, Jorm. You are something else. In a good way, from what I've read so far.

I hope I can finish reading it in time.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2018-07-11 at 10:47 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

hello. I really want to join thie contest...from what I understood the current challenge is the life and death thing, right? If not, where do I find it? thanks a lot!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    hello. I really want to join thie contest...from what I understood the current challenge is the life and death thing, right? If not, where do I find it? thanks a lot!
    Actually, life and death was the previous contest. The current contest is everyday heroes, however the deadline for entries has closed and we're currently in the voting phase (the thread for which can be found here), which is scheduled to end this Friday baring any extensions.

My Homebrew

Show