New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Magical Vehicles!

So I'm in a Giantslayer game, we just hit 4th level, and just finished the first book. Playing an item crafter character, and I want to build the party a form of transportation. Now I want to have something generally fantastical, and I'd like to improve it over time with non-magical and magical upgrades. We're running with a party of 6; three small characters, three humanoids, and a wolf.

Does Pathfinder have any rules for upgrading/improving land vehicles? Or specific items to upgrade a land vehicle?
    Just finding my roots again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magical Vehicles!

I haven't read them myself; so I don't know if this has what oyu need or not:
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/u...tVehicles.html
    if it's not there or near it; then there probably aren't (at least in terms of 1st party stuff)
    Last edited by zlefin; 2017-10-31 at 04:44 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

We had this issue. I persuaded the DM to let me homebrew a steampunk wagon, Decanter of endless water, pouring on to a sealed container with a fire elemental as the boiler. It has space as per a large wagon, but never needed to stop or have horses. We eventually purchased a construct and bound it to drive it. we're now 10 levels on and it evolved in to a full on airship that only my character understands with the same poor fire elemental bound deep within its bowls making hot water for no good reason as we ended up sealing a greater deamon in to its engine and using that as a rather unwilling power source. Shenangians ensued when my character (in a moment of utter desperation) let the deamon use the forward firing guns to defend the ship. laser beams of soul stealing energy are ****ing terrifying and my character was banned from ever working on the weapons again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    I haven't read them myself; so I don't know if this has what oyu need or not:
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/u...tVehicles.html
    if it's not there or near it; then there probably aren't (at least in terms of 1st party stuff)
    So you didn't read something and then linked it hoping it'd help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieddi View Post
    We had this issue. I persuaded the DM to let me homebrew a steampunk wagon, Decanter of endless water, pouring on to a sealed container with a fire elemental as the boiler. It has space as per a large wagon, but never needed to stop or have horses. We eventually purchased a construct and bound it to drive it. we're now 10 levels on and it evolved in to a full on airship that only my character understands with the same poor fire elemental bound deep within its bowls making hot water for no good reason as we ended up sealing a greater deamon in to its engine and using that as a rather unwilling power source. Shenangians ensued when my character (in a moment of utter desperation) let the deamon use the forward firing guns to defend the ship. laser beams of soul stealing energy are ****ing terrifying and my character was banned from ever working on the weapons again.
    Does not help what I'm trying to do, but this is one of the better steampunk decanter vehicle stories I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatThePhysics View Post
    Build an Automatic Reset Trap of Unseen Servant, which has been keyed to make its servants push the vehicle forward for the entire duration of their existence. Since you can conjure at least 600 servants at any given time, and wheels can be considered favorable circumstances that double each servant's maximum load, this item can let you indefinitely push a wheeled vehicle weighing at least 120,000 pounds at a speed of 15 feet per round. Just be sure to give the vehicle really good brakes, or add on an Automatic Reset Trap of an area of effect spell that deals at least 6 damage in a single round.
    Not what I'm looking to do, not what I was asking for, not subjecting my DM to this headache.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

yes; i'm not reading an enormously long article just to see if it would help YOU.
    you didn't provide much info on what sources you've already tried to use, so there's no way for us ot tell.
    I don't have ot post anything at all;
    don't be a jerk to people trying to help you (and your response is pretty clearly a jerk response)
    Last edited by zlefin; 2017-11-01 at 08:59 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As I recall there are no first party rules on the subject. There are some vehicles of defined cost and nature, but they're well out of the price range of a 4th level party, even if you had your entire party's WBL in cash and pooled it together.

D&D 3.5 also lacked much in the way of first party rules, though you could half-ass something with the Stronghold Builder's Guide's rules for mobile stronghold spaces.

If you were fifth level then you could do something with retraining and get Craft Construct (or I think just go from Craft Poppet to Craft Construct at 5th level?).

24,000 should be about your total net worth as a party of 4 fourth level PCs.

Ostensibly a Huge Animated Object(the size of a Wagon) costs about 12,500 gp to make, 25,000 to buy. Half your party's WBL just to make it puts it still outside of your price range, I'd say. Not without some kind of huge windfall or your GM basically just giving it to you or having some kind of sidequest just to get it or something.

Alternative pricing would give you 100 gp for a Huge-sized Wagon and 5500 gp to make it an Animated Object with 4 CP, which is much more affordable, but it'd still be too expensive for any single one of you, and would take up about 23.3% of your party's wealth. I believe with 4 CP you could invest all of that into a land speed of 70. Alternatively you could give it a Fly Speed and pump that fly speed up to 60.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2017-11-01 at 10:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    yes; i'm not reading an enormously long article just to see if it would help YOU.
    you didn't provide much info on what sources you've already tried to use, so there's no way for us ot tell.
    I don't have ot post anything at all;
    don't be a jerk to people trying to help you (and your response is pretty clearly a jerk response)
    If you feel like I'm harassing you somehow, please PM me. Otherwise I don't want to keep this thread bumped because I've upset you somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    As I recall there are no first party rules on the subject. There are some vehicles of defined cost and nature, but they're well out of the price range of a 4th level party, even if you had your entire party's WBL in cash and pooled it together.

D&D 3.5 also lacked much in the way of first party rules, though you could half-ass something with the Stronghold Builder's Guide's rules for mobile stronghold spaces.

If you were fifth level then you could do something with retraining and get Craft Construct (or I think just go from Craft Poppet to Craft Construct at 5th level?).

24,000 should be about your total net worth as a party of 4 fourth level PCs.

Ostensibly a Huge Animated Object(the size of a Wagon) costs about 12,500 gp to make, 25,000 to buy. Half your party's WBL just to make it puts it still outside of your price range, I'd say. Not without some kind of huge windfall or your GM basically just giving it to you or having some kind of sidequest just to get it or something.

Alternative pricing would give you 100 gp for a Huge-sized Wagon and 5500 gp to make it an Animated Object with 4 CP, which is much more affordable, but it'd still be too expensive for any single one of you, and would take up about 23.3% of your party's wealth. I believe with 4 CP you could invest all of that into a land speed of 70. Alternatively you could give it a Fly Speed and pump that fly speed up to 60.
    Well currently I was running with a Heavy Wagon, just so I could reasonably fit some cots for the party to sleep in it and travel overnight.

Aye, 3.5 had those, and 3E had stuff like the Lightning Engine. But that stuff ramps up in price super fast, doesn't it?

Was considering getting a Construct to pull it later on.

The Animated Object idea is pretty cool, not gonna lie, but that is expensive. With the end of book 1 we've acquired a decent amount of loot to sell, but that'd be at least two of our share's of loot, easily. If I can get my DM to give the go ahead for Ultimate Magic, I might try and make use of those Building and Modifying Construct Rules if I head down this route. Thanks man.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dude, let's get crazy then. I'm thinking huge or collossal monstrous scorpion construct, with cannons in lieu of claws or a tail. You may also want to consider a mobile castle, set it on the back of a huge construct like a turtle/tortoise or something. It's okay to let the "rule of cool" guide your designs so long as you don't get too crazy and the dm will buy it, let you build, etc.

Like what do you want this thing to act as, mere transport or mobile base?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kablam View Post
    Dude, let's get crazy then. I'm thinking huge or collossal monstrous scorpion construct, with cannons in lieu of claws or a tail. You may also want to consider a mobile castle, set it on the back of a huge construct like a turtle/tortoise or something. It's okay to let the "rule of cool" guide your designs so long as you don't get too crazy and the dm will buy it, let you build, etc.

Like what do you want this thing to act as, mere transport or mobile base?
    I'm just asking if there's anything to improve on base vehicles, man. Its just a wagon.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah... Unfortunately the only modification I can think of offhand would be to try to mount a sail on it and get a Permanent Gust of Wind anchored to blow it along.

That'd take 8875 gp for a scroll of Permanency able to work on Gust of Wind or 8050 gp to get Permanency cast as a Spellcasting Service on a Gust of Wind you guys generated.

Also, it'd involve some amount of adjudication to decide how fast a wagon with a sail with 50 mph wind blowing on it will go and the GM allowing you to have the Gust of Wind travel along with the wagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    If you feel like I'm harassing you somehow, please PM me. Otherwise I don't want to keep this thread bumped because I've upset you somehow.
    I mean he's right, your response was pretty ungrateful.

If you need a bit more focus, there are statblocks on that page he linked for types of vehicles you can use as a starting point (including wagons.) I would just embed some magic items in there depending on what you want it to be able to do. (Fight? Swim? Provide shelter? Crafting space?)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)