The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 48 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Celestia's Finest: The Sun Always Rises

Canterlot, a city of wonders, the capitol of ponykind for centuries, the home of the Royal Sisters, and the very heart of Equestria. Gleaming, metal buildings rise from the plain below Mt. Avalon and tower above the Royal Palace. Flying cars, the play-toys of the rich and famous, carry ponies and goods to and fro. Modern marvels greet the eye, no matter where you look. And yet somehow, they never replaced the cobblestone streets.

They tried to. Oh, they tried. But protesters denounced the “brutalizing of Canterlot’s heritage”. They made such a fuss that, eventually, the cobblestone streets were left as is. The protesters can now proudly trip over loose stones to their hearts content. Besides, few ponies walk on the ground nowadays. There is no need to when all the buildings are interconnected. Huge, steel walkways span the gaps. A few of the larger ones even host small markets and shops. Other enterprising business owners rent out the rooms on either side of these bridges and hawk their wares out of the wind and weather. The prime spots, of course, are near the tourist attractions. Shops near the Palace do good business, no matter what they sell. And of course, those fortunate enough to be right next to the Canterlot branch Rarity's, a line of stores which need no advertisement other than their owner's name, could only fail because of complete incompetence.

But of all the places in the city, the Wonderbolts' Stadium is the most sought-after. Entrance is so hard to get that neighboring buildings make a tidy profit selling space near the windows to watch. Tickets to the stadium itself are sold years in advance for the Canterlot shows, which go beyond displays of aerial acrobatics and also showcase the newest, experimental technology designed for pegasi. How exactly Brazen managed to get all four of the squad tickets is his secret, but the show is well-worth every bit they would have cost. Oddly, the senior captain, Rainbow Dash, did not perform tonight, but the show did not suffer greatly for it. One could say it even went smoother than normal.

However, all good things must come to an end. With a final burst of fireworks and jaunty round of salutes, the Wonderbolts leave the cheering crowd behind and soar off to “The Roost”, their private penthouse at the highest point in Canterlot. A fitting end to the third day of a five-day leave, the first that the EDF's first squad has had since beginning training six months ago. But that is in the past. Now is a time for celebration. Commander Wildcat's orders.

"I don't want you even thinking about the EDF for the next five days," he had growled at them, "Get out of here. Get some rest. You'll need it, because who knows when we'll need you?"

But with the show over, a question appears. What to do now?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Celestia's Finest: The Sun Always Rises

"I wouldn't mind getting away from the crowds for a little bit. Maybe find a quiet little diner somewhere for some food?" Rose suggests.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Love pulls toward the front of the group when food gets mentioned.

Someone is dressing for that extra sharp edge today. Her semi-white pony coat with a blue tinge blended thoroughly throughout is perfectly combed down. A knee-high fluffy ponytail of light blue and purple hair curves down towards her shoulders. Her V-shaped bangs cover her brows above her glowy amber eyes. A broken, jagged unicorn horn breaks up her hairline. She has two laptop bags at her haunches - her computer, surely in one of them. As usual, she has on flared, long visor-like purple sunglasses with undetectable frames.

She points forward with a hoof like a hound dog on the trail. "Food!" Apparently those two stadium dogs didn't put a dent in her appetite. "We should go somewhere new or extra delicious." Her hoof wipes some imaginary droll from her mouth.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-06-23 at 09:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That little show had been much more intriguing than expected. Studying the Wonderbolt's precision, coordination and telementary had been a fascinating exercise. Perhaps one day his unit would be able to function with such perfection. It would be something pleasant to anticipate.

But now was not the time for such thoughts. Sniper Scope covered his mental musings by adjusting his leather jacket's collar. Were it not for the material's different texture, then it would have blended almost perfectly into his midnight pelt.

"There should be little trouble finding a new place in which to dine." Scope opined. "The challenge will be finding something so... extra delicious."

He cast his gaze over the crowd, scanning for potential threats or problems. The motion was so automatic that he would have had to consciously try not to survey their surroundings. He turned his attention back to his comrades.

"But perhaps we should allow Brazen the honor of choosing our destination as a means of saying thanks for the show? Allow me to treat."

5. - Top - End - #5

"Yeah, how did you manage those tickets, Brazen?" Rose asked curiously. "You have connections. I could never snatch one myself."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Brazen can't help but spend at least part of the show looking for something, or somepony, in particular amongst the performing Wonderbolts. Though a happy smile is plastered on his face the entire show regardless. As the show ends and the others begin talking he turns towards them while adjusting his customary cargo vest. "The details of how I might tell of at a later date but as to the why one could say... They were a reward from an angel who saved my flank. Even if I still ended up in a crater..." The large stallion seems to take great amusement in the 'mysteriousness' around the acquisition of the tickets even as his coat twitches at some unpleasant memory.

"As to food well, I ain't to picky about that. Long as there's good booze to go along with it."

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lucky Lucky for me, I knew the stallion that got us into the show." Her eyes twinkle reminiscing about all that fancy new tech and all those amazing stunts. The old brain juice was pouring tonight. That wouldn't be the only juice pouring though.

She commands her phone on, "Ello, Love." A purple AR, augmented reality, screen pops up in her view for those with sharp eyes to spy. The explorer function enters eye tracking so she doesn't have to speak to it too much.

"You treated us. We'll treat you. I'll find you the best sauce this side of town." It's a simple search: Awesome alcohol & a spicy environment. She didn't really care for the stuffy places. Of course, the true challenge was finding a place to dive without a million stadium ponies being there. Someplace sketch might work. A curled smile and a quiet evil chuckle escapes her lips.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I'm fine with anyone moving our location to a place with drinks!
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-06-24 at 03:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It took Scope a moment longer than necessary to realize that the sauce in question was of the potent variety. He waved a hoof dismissively.

"Since you have found us a destination, Love, then I shall volunteer to be tonight's "designated driver", as it were."

It was his customary position for two reasons. The first was simple self interest: he had no desire to muddle his skills with alcohol. The second was simple preservation: someone needed a clear head to prevent the preventable. He trusted his squadmates to be responsible, but accidents happened.

9. - Top - End - #9

In but a moment, Love has a hit. Club Canterlot, a place known for having the best drinks in town (including authentic Sweet Apple Acres cider). The only problem was that it would probably be very full soon. The line to get in would be overflowing already, though the bouncers would be turning a lot of ponies away. If she's confident in her skills for sweet-talking, getting in there might be an option. Of course, there's always offering a generous tip if all else fails.

Alternately, there's a dive called Sweet Peaches down near the cobblestone streets that has pretty good reviews. "Lousy service, loud music, great drinks. All you could wish for in a bar!" one pony says. "Don't expect the bartender to ask you 'rough day?' and listen to your life story, but if you just want a drink and a dance with some friends, you can't go wrong here."

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    "As to food well, I ain't to picky about that. Long as there's good booze to go along with it."
    "As long as it's decent food and in good quantity," Rose says.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The info gets sent out to everypony's personal devices.

"The Club sounds like the ideal place. The problem is everypony knows it too. Sweet Peaches is more what I want, but I can always explore that option on a less prolific day."
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-06-24 at 03:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Scope studied the information displayed upon his communications link-- pausing only once to dismiss a rather persistent message alert. Decades of technological advancement still had yet to solve the problem of spam email.

Club Canterlot was a strict fit for his squad's criteria. Especially, the desire for the best drinks in town and the quality of the food; but it's greater popularity made entrance questionable. Sweat Peaches' proximity to the lowest points of the city was questionable, but shouldn't introduce any danger they could not avoid so long as they were careful. He was always careful.

"Sweet Peaches does, indeed, seem the better compromise. Shall we depart, ladies and gentlecolts?" He asked.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm good to move on if everyone else is.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2017-06-25 at 06:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

"I think Peaches is the better site. It'll be less crowded." Rose looks ready to move on in that direction.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"Sounds like it's decided then." Brazen paws at the ground. "Time to get us some Peaches!"

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Descending deep into the depths of the city, where Celestia's sun rarely shines and the light comes mostly from streetlamps and neon signs, the four ponies quickly find their way to Sweet Peaches. Canterlot's new and improved automated map system guides the way through winding streets, filled with ponies either finishing up their errands for the day or headed out to dinner and for some fun, and past dark alleys. This area is still in the Palace District, the safest area of the city, but keeping an eye out is second nature to any member of the guard and especially so for the elite of the EDF. But it's not like any thieves would be foolish enough to attack in the middle of a crowd.

Sweet Peaches is exactly as advertised: a combination restaurant and bar that focuses mostly on the bar. The food is decent enough. Nothing five-star, but the hayburgers are juicy and the fruit is sweet. A short stage sits in the corner of the room, where an earth pony mare gives a spirited rendition of Bon Poni's "Lay your Hooves on Me". The rest of the staff are cordial, but they are here to deliver food and make sure no fights break out, not chat.

Brazen's comm dings.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

"Ha! Looks like this place fits our sense of style just fine." Brazen says as they enter the Peach. Truly given Club Canterlot's likely posher decor the mildly rough looking earth pony probably would have stuck out like a sore thumb. His comm dinging draws a raised eyebrow from Brazen but a look at who it's from prompts a grin and a reply as they get seats.

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

"The hayburgers looks really good." Rose sits down eagerly to order.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"This place most definitely has character... with both the sights and smells." Sniper Scope remarked.

It was a generous assessment, but, then, he could now afford to be generous. The check would be significantly less voluminous here than elsewhere. And Brazen Hoof was correct, they were far more Sweet Peaches clientele than Club Canterlot.

He quietly made certain to be seated, where he could see, be seen and intervene without obstacle or climbing over another pony.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Love takes a seat near Sniper Scope. He seemed more picky about the seats than her so she relented to her second choice "Yeah. I like it." Her shoulders become overly expressive and move to the beat for a couple of seconds.

Cupping her mouth, she orders the earth pony to "Crank up the beats!"

Hey, the hayburgers did look good. The fruit didn't seem half bad either.

Amongst the ordering she asked, "Lens." (She was still trying to one of her horrible nicknames to stick.) "What did you think of the flyers tonight? Any of that tech spark your brain?"

20. - Top - End - #20

With a stirring flourish, the mare finishes her song. Chest heaving, she bows and hands the mic off to the next singer. To the crowds’ delight, she descends from the stage and seems to be headed in the general direction of the EDF, but a group of young stallions call her by name and she goes to them instead. They begin to talk and laugh with each other. She’ll probably occupy their attention for the rest of the night.

A world-weary waiter comes up. “Hello. Name’s Sunshine. Yes, I know the name is ironic. No, I don't particularly feel like smiling. Now, if that's everything, what’ll you be...” His eyes fall on Partial Charge and he falters. "--Be hav-ing...um...are you alright, ma'am? You look a bit, er...I mean your horn is..." He flushes. "It's none of business. Drinks! Food! Ha-ha. I'll shut up now and take your orders." He looks particularly eager to avoid looking directly at Love and focuses on the other three, especially Rose.

Brazen gets another text as well.
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2017-06-25 at 10:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Brazen starts to type up another message though gives the waiter a sidelong look as Partial causes him to stumble. Yet it seems Sunshine manages to catch himself before sticking his hoof to far in his mouth. "A round of cider for certain I think, and I'll take a hayburger myself..." Going back to the text as the others order.

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Love claps and cheers for the first signing pony, a usual round of applause. The interest in her dropping off as the singer busy's herself with her evening elsewhere.

She paid no mind to the waiter focusing on her horn. Though she does give Sunshine a bemused smirk to show she has no hard feelings about it. The horn has been gone for a long time. It missing is a part of her identity now, and as long as no pony means harm in their actions she has no problem with the odd stare or whisper. The fact that the horn is missing on her synthetic androids too has to mean something.

"A round of cider sounds good," she confirms. "I'd like the nastiest, spiciest hayburger you'd be kind enough to whip up. I want to feel some fire tomorrow. And, I'd like a bowl of fruit. Not a single bad apple - make it all fresh bites and the bits will be worth your effort."

23. - Top - End - #23

"I'll take a double-hayburger. Hold the cheese though," Rose says. After Love's attention about her horn, Rose instinctively lowers her forelegs off the table for now.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lens? Scope's right eyebrow rose slightly... was that supposed to be some form of new swear word? He wasn't familiar with it.

The arrival of their startlingly misnamed waiter kept him from asking. Fortunately, this was old ground for Love, although not every pony was as at ease with the situation.

"Hold one brew. I shall take water instead." He meant it when he said that he would be the sober one at night's end. "An oat salad and a second double hayburger without cheese."

25. - Top - End - #25

"Ooh, that does sound good. Make it two oat salads," Rose adds, her glutenous side starting to show.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #26

"Three ciders, a regular hayburger, one spicy deluxe, two doubles without cheese, two oat salads, and a bowl of fresh fruit," he repeats back, "Should be out in twenty minutes. If not, you can partake in the proud, Sweet Peaches tradition of walking back and yelling at the cooks. Actually, please don't. They yell back and then somepony's food gets burnt and everypony has a bad night."

He steps smartly away from the table and takes the order back to the kitchen. The new band has finished fine-tuning their instruments and struck up a "song of our own composition" which, truly, defies description. Discordant Harmony, they call it. And it lives up to the Discord part.

The ponies closest to the stage are regretting their decision.

27. - Top - End - #27

Rose makes a momentary grimace at the cacophony when it hits her ears. "Well... still better than I would be. I think."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Brazen finally stows his communicator after a few more messages. "Well... Music like that comes with the dives sometimes. On another note I've got somewhere for us to visit after we eat if everyone's up for it."

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Fortunately, 'acceptable music' had not been on anyone's list of requirements, otherwise their choice of locale would have been a dismal failure. Sniper Scope nodded to Brazen.

"Indeed. Fortunately, our time is our own; I have nowhere else to be."

He then turned to Love. Earlier, she had initiated a conversation that he somewhat wished to revisit.

"In answer to your earlier question, Love. I felt that the Wonderbolts have set a high standard for unit performance; it is easy to see why they are the best of their field. I am rather pleased that Commander Dash was not present. It gave me a chance to see their natural abilities as opposed to their supernatural.

"Their technology was both interesting but... ultimately unnecessary." He waved a cybernetic hoof dismissively.

30. - Top - End - #30

Rose's ears twitched upon hearing Scope's mention of the tech being unnecessary part. "How so unnecessary?" Rose asked curiously.
    Digo Dragon - Artist