New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Idiotic cheap-*bleep* phone won't charge right

Ok, so I've got an Alcatel onetouch 25$ Walmart special that I use when go volunteering downtown. It's a really nice little phone for phone calls, but one thing with it is about to drive me up the wall and back down the other side.

Basically, if I plug the phone into a USB port on my desktop or laptop, it charges fine. BUT, if I try plugging it into the wall, it'll charge or abt three or four seconds, then blink off, then charge again for three or four seconds, rinse, repeat. The phone still charges, but it takes longer, and the constant on-again-off-again can't be good for the phone... can it?

Anyway, I already searched google, and apparently I'm either the only one having this problem, or no one else thinks it's annoying enough to gripe about on line.

Has anyone here had any experience with this brand of phone and the behavior I've described?

1782. I will remember we're playing 4th edition and stop using my imagination.
    - From 1975 things MR. Welch is no longer allowed to do in an RPG.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Idiotic cheap-*bleep* phone won't charge right

What's the wall charger set up for? Like, what capacities does it output?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

You are obviously using the usb charger with the correct factory provided adapter plugged into the wall yes?

If not, well... see where I'm going?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    You are obviously using the usb charger with the correct factory provided adapter plugged into the wall yes?

If not, well... see where I'm going?
    Yes. Destination Snideville, Pop you. To answer the question, the factory provided wall charger shorted out some months ago, so I've been using a Belkin USB wall charger. I would think that it should work as well as the wall charger, but apparently I am greatly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    What's the wall charger set up for? Like, what capacities does it output?
    It's a generic Belkin usb wall charger of this variety, along with a standard usb cable.

1782. I will remember we're playing 4th edition and stop using my imagination.
    - From 1975 things MR. Welch is no longer allowed to do in an RPG.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Second View Post
    Yes. Destination Snideville, Pop you. To answer the question, the factory provided wall charger shorted out some months ago, so I've been using a Belkin USB wall charger. I would think that it should work as well as the wall charger, but apparently I am greatly mistaken.

It's a generic Belkin usb wall charger of this variety, along with a standard usb cable.
    Yeah, most likely the wall charger's problem. Sometimes it just happens. Either it doesn't provide enough ampere, or there's somehow problem in the connection between the the phone and the wall charger, most likely it's the former.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Yeah, most likely the wall charger's problem. Sometimes it just happens. Either it doesn't provide enough ampere, or there's somehow problem in the connection between the the phone and the wall charger, most likely it's the former.
    It could also be providing too much. You have to be careful both ways with these things.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It could also be providing too much. You have to be careful both ways with these things.
    Huh, I didn't know providing too much ampere can be problematic. Because I thought that's just making your stuff charge faster. I guess that's not how it works? How does those "charge faster than factory charger!" charger things work then?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Huh, I didn't know providing too much ampere can be problematic. Because I thought that's just making your stuff charge faster. I guess that's not how it works? How does those "charge faster than factory charger!" charger things work then?
    Operative words "can be". (Never ever ask a powergrid technician about the slim tolerance margin in the national powergrid, you'll never sleep properly again)

And they work by exploiting the wider tolerances possible over the technical specifications. It's not a binary condition. Also they are probably lying. I mean they are trying to sell you something you didn't exactly need. The better electronics usually prevent this by not drawing on more power than they need so the phone itself may just go "nope, not charging that fast".

But just as a humans can tolerate extremes of heat and cold that doesn't necessarily mean it is good for you in the long run.