New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 3SC's Ironfang Invasion IC

Mort & Armina

"Well, um... As long as we're talking about a way out, I feel I should say something. We're going to be making a few other stops around town, try to save as many people as possible..."

"All the better to pool resources and abilities. If we're retreating, we'll need as many skilled people as possible. Retreating like this, we'll all need to work together. But rest assured, Mort & I have backup in the form of several other hearty soldiers downstairs. Just stick in the middle and you'll be fine."

After Armina gave the merchants a reassuring smile, Mort & Armina lead the traders downstairs, ready to depart once the others had finished with the hobgoblin they had taken as prisoner.

Spoiler: Vote For Next Destination (Once Interrogation Concludes)...
    Show
    "...right. So now that that's wrapped up, I'm going to raise the condundrum of where to go next again. Like I said, I think Oreld's is our best bet."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-07-08 at 07:54 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask nodded thanks to Aubrin as she healed the wounds. Repair on the armour itself wound have to wait. He made his way up to the others as they all talked at the Hob, waiting with his arms crossed and listening to any exchanges that were occurring. Every so often his view wandered to the doorway in.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen raises an eyebrow- being among those in the party who understand the Goblin tongue, he allows a simple but clear gesture with the staff to convey his interest in defiant rebukes. He listens closely to the captive's words, silently trying to gauge the veracity of his admissions. He nods slowly, a vaguely surprised expression coming over his face at what may well be the Hobgoblin's last demands.

"Livestock. Delightful." Gilraen turns to his companions expectantly. Turning back to the Hobgoblin, he demands, "Where is the other end of this tunnel?"
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Gilraen will attempt to (silently) convey that the Hobgoblin speaks the truth, and give all of the party members an opportunity to ask further question(s) before releasing him. He will not attempt to kill or hurt the Hobgoblin, but also won't interfere if someone else does.

Their questions suitably answered, Gilraen nods with a sombre expression. "Very well. Report to your superiors and be off with you." lifting his weapon from the vicinity of their captive's neck, he takes a moment to make sure the Hobgoblin's own blade isn't close at hand before gesturing to the door. As its back disappears into the village green, he turns for the rear exit. "I will trust your expertise. Let us make haste for Oreld's shop. We do not have much time."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

While Narek had seemed distracted at first, as soon as the hobgoblin spoke, he watched intently. After it answered the first set of questions, he stepped in with a wand raised, pointed at the merc's nose. In the creature's guttural tongue, he spit out a question - an obvious question and unspoken threat to the captured man.
    Spoiler: Goblin
    Show
    "How far in have you all gone? How long have you been here? Did you make it to the Shrine yet?"

Regardless of the answers, Narek shook his head at the others suggestions to head to Oreld's. "I told you ... we - I - need to go to the Shrine first. Anything else is unimportant!

Readying his things, Narek was prepared to go to the Shrine ... with or without his new companions.

Show
    If the hobgoblin indicates the Shrine is undisturbed or he doesn't know, Narek will ignore him. If he says that it has fallen or was overrun or ransacked already, Narek will shoot him in the face before departing.

Status
    AC: 12 HP: 7 Init +9 Move 30'
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Spells: prestidigitation, detect magic, message; grease, mage armor, heightened awareness
    Prescience: 6/7; wand of magic missile (10): wand of grease (12); unknown wand
    Effect: prestidigitation (1hr)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"See, I told you it was safe to open the door!" Clidon berates the other trader as the pair of them follow Mort and Armina back to the common room, where the others are gathered. Jet and Aubrin are both busy talking to the civilians, going over the basics of staying low and trying to stay out of your way as you'll be trying to clear the road for them through Phaendar. But judging by the expectant glances that are being shot your way, most everyone is more than ready to leave the Root behind.

When Gilraen continues the questions, Durok seems hesitant, but he evidently remembers the pain of the quarterstaff well enough to answer anyhow. "We came from our base of operations, in a great valley of which I do not know the name. Now, if that is all - " He doesn't finish the sentence, as Narek approaches with his wand drawn. The wizard's evident fury is met with a little fanged grin on the part of your temporary prisoner. "I do not know what the Shrine is. If it is a part of this town, then it is only a matter of time before it falls to the Legion, assuming it has not already. Scabvistin is nothing if not thorough. So go ahead, cast your spell if you must."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:11 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek nodded absently, turning to see what the others were deciding. Before they left, he put away the wand and hefted the huge crossbow. Absently, he glanced back a the hobgoblin with a blank gaze. Raising the weapon, he fired a shot right through the creature's foot, nailing it to the floor.
    Spoiler: Goblin
    Show
    "You. Stay."

Show
    Not quite a shot in the face ...

Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Spells: prestidigitation, detect magic, message; grease, mage armor, heightened awareness

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen looks up, having apparently missed the first comment about the shrine. "What is of such import to you there, that you would risk your own life traveling alone in these circumstances? I know not what Oreld would stock at his store, but the Forest will provide most of our basic necessities." He turns to the two voting in concert hoping for a quick explanation either way.

8. - Top - End - #68

Mort & Armina

"Basic, yes. Anything more complex, like potions and traps and medicine, no. A-and..."

"And if anyone's still alive over there, we need to help them. We can't just leave people here in the village, not when everyone's getting killed or worse."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek glanced up from his preparations with a flat look. "Are people any less likely to be at the Shrine? We already know the Legion has been to Oreld's's. But you want me to justify my decision? Tell you what is so important?"

... the door opened and he smiled at the woman and child in the room ...

... the door opened and he walked away from the crying woman and boy ...

... the door opened and he dropped to his knees at the sight of the woman holding their dead child ...

... the door opened and he screamed at the sight of the woman and child lying lifeless on the floor...

Rising up, shaking his head from the reverie, he simply said, "Family."

Show

Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-07-09 at 01:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

If he were a more outspoken half-orc, Rask would have agreed with Mort and his phantom. Instead he simply nodded in agreement at what they said. It might have healing tonics, which they'd need if they were going to go about town encountering more Hobs. Doubly so if they were going to escape into the wilderness where there were diseases and the like. If they were going to save people from being butchered then it would be best to be welled stocked so they could take care of them beyond the city. Rask wasn't as sharp as any of the people here and he knew it. Not by half as much. But given the sounds that were going on outside, it seemed to the big man as if the gods had abandoned Phaendar tonight. Except for the Hob ones that is. Areas of religion were a low priority for him. Better to focus on the practical things first.

Rask made his way over to the inn residents and handed out longswords, shields or studded armor to anyone who wanted one. Sometimes steel in the hand lent confidence. Maybe it would help any whose courage was leaving them. He offered Jet one of the bows and claimed one for himself. No need for a panicking inn-goer to shoot someone in the middle of combat.

Show

Arm the peasantry!
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-07-09 at 03:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Mort & Armina

Mortimer and Armina looked, first at Narek, then at each other.

<Crap. I was so confident about going to Oreld's before, for the supplies - the Hobgoblins can't have found everything, not yet. But what he's brought up... It's a compelling point.>

<I'm with you, Mort, whatever you decide. But as long as we're talking about this...>

After conferring telepathically briefly, Mort and Armina spoke once again.

"Whatever is decided, we should do it all together. Splitting up will only lead to death, in a situation like this."

"But... if you've brought up the topic of saving people, um... Then that's a very good reason to go to the shrine." Mort looked to the others. "If anyone else is willing to change their vote to the Shrine, I will too."

"But we should limit it to selecting either the Shrine or Oreld's first. If we do so, then we can make a circle around the village before heading to the bridge. We will spend the least amount of time in town, while hitting as many of the important places as possible."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-07-09 at 03:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena approaches Armina and Mortimer, looking to catch the former's eye and nodding. If questioned, she indicates with another nod that she means to express agreement to go to the shrine first.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen looks askance at Narek with a hint of distrust, perhaps due to the crossbow shot, perhaps due to the vague and defensive response. He nods in satisfaction as the Hobgoblin passes into unconsciousness. "I mislike taking action that is not well discussed, but can certainly understand the need for haste. Let us be off then, to the shrine."

He takes up his longbow, near the middle of the group. His eyes scan the terrible scene as they walk, watching over the group much like Auburn does.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Blood and Prayer

Doruk screams in pain as the crossbow bolt that Narek fired tears through his foot. For a moment, the veneer of civility he had before is gone, replaced with a savage snarl as he tries in vain to get up and hurt the mage for his trouble. "Vrakkum! Naliri mah vie..." He passes out from the pain before he can even get up, his words trailing off into unconsciousness as his eyes roll into the back of his head. The heavy ammunition has torn the entire extremity apart, his mangled flesh spilling more blood out to join the water from Gilraen's spell. Without medical attention, the hobgoblin won't last long.

With Rask distributing the weapons concurrently with your discussion, by the time you settle on a direction most of the townsfolk have a proper weapon of some sort. Jet nods at the half-orc as she accepts the bow and puts it over her shoulder, preferring to keep the sword for now. "Thanks. You know, I'm glad you were all in my tavern when this went down. Now, where to?" She listens as Armina explains the extraction plan, and nods again. "Okay. Aubrin's still hurt, but the two of us can play rear guard to prevent us from getting flanked, and she can support all of us with more of that healing from the back. Sound good, 'Brin?" Aubrin agrees silently, still trying to conserve her strength, but it's enough of a signal. With the five of you in front, the collected group makes for the Taproot's side door and out into the bedlam.

When you open the door, you do so to screams and the howling of wolves. Thick coils of smoke rise through the evening air, and although you all emerge on the far side of the inn, you can still see the black figure of the new tower in the center of Phaendar's green. Thankfully for you, there are no hobgoblins or other monsters lying in wait in the immediate vicinity, but that doesn't stop the various non-combatants from looking about in terror. Most of them have no idea how to properly hold the swords that Rask gave them, but bravely brandish them against the shadows regardless. They likely won't be of much use in a fight. Jet, on the other hand, seems to know what she's doing, and stands in a defensive posture at the very back of the formation. Aubrin hobbles along next to her on her gnarled staff, her ranger's eyes scanning for threats.

The trip to the Riverwood Shrine takes a few minutes with your group, and leads you through a few winding streets. The Ironfang soldiers seem to be everywhere, although they are largely occupied with charging through buildings and looting items and prisoners than they are with chasing stragglers. When you get there, you see the wooden deck surrounding the front of the octagonal structure, and broad archways leading into the place of worship. To the left of the deck stands a moss-encrusted stone moment, and to the far right is a simple looking wooden building. Carved birds, branches, and fruits decorate the wooden supports of the temple's entryway. A dead villager is curled up on the wooden deck, his chest pierced by three barbed arrows. A black shaggy wolf leans over the corpse, its jaws flecked with gore as it looks up and narrows its eyes. It growls as it prepares to leap into combat.

Show
    So! Several things. First is that this combat is going to be a bit more theatre of the mind, at least until I can get the map updated when I get home. That's fine, since you're fighting in a pretty open area with no difficult terrain and only one enemy. I have already rolled Initiative in the Roll20 - with the sole exception of Mort / Armina, everyone is able to act before the wolf goes on Round 1. If you want to try Handle Animal to deal with the wolf non-violently, feel free, but its attitude will result in a -4 penalty to that check.

There's also the matter of the NPCs. To save us all a headache, I'm going to assume that they hang back from most fights. However, you can conscript them if you want to Aid Another or try to attack themselves. These guys are all 1st level Commoners and Aristocrats, with the exceptions of Jet (Warrior 2) and Aubrin (who is a fully statted out NPC, but is better at support). I will update their actions whenever it would be beneficial in the round, but by default they'll go as a group when your enemies do, to save me from making 2 updates per round.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 12
    Show
    The corpse currently being eaten by the wolf is none other than Noelan, the caretaker and de facto priest of the Riverwood Shrine. The shack next to the Shrine belonged to Noelan, and was where he lived before he got killed.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:12 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena keeps her weapon drawn as the group moves through a suddenly war-torn Phaender, seeming to switch between her confident upright posture and her slouching, insecure one multiple times along the way. As the group approaches the shrine, she doesn't relax, finally settling into a fully alert demeanor, eyes going from place to place and, curiously, often going to the trees of the forest around the village.

The wolf actually seems to relieve Eyena somewhat, as some of the uncertain stress leaves her, and she simply rushes forwards with her weapon, looking to end the fight before it properly begins.

Show
    Eyena will try and move a bit to the side, so someone else can flank with her.

A: (1d20+3)[8]
    D: (1d10+3)[5]

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask didn't put the big sword away as the group left the inn and made for the shrine. Even if the shrine wasn't his first choice there was always something to be said for safety in numbers. People might have mistaken him for part of the invaders and he wouldn't have blamed them one but considering his appearence.

As they arrived at the shrine, Rask looked from the dead body to the wolfs maw, and then at the wolf proper. He let out a sigh and then trudged up alongside it, opposite the woman but with the wolf between them. Gripping the sword with both hands, Rask swung it up and then brought it crashing down without ceremony. He aimed right for the middle of the creature's back.

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show

Rolled in the roll
    Got a 14 to hit including any bonuses from flanking.
    17 damage
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-07-09 at 07:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

The wolf's growl intensifies as first Eyena, then Rask approach it. The fur on the beast's back rises, its hackles raised as it readies itself to strike. As the magus is the first to close the distance, the wolf's eyes follow her. A slow stream of carnal drool gathers on the deck boards beneath its feet as the animal bares its teeth. Even though there are no actual Legion soldiers about, if the wolf howls, it could very well raise the alarm and alert your presence here to every enemy combatant nearby.

But when Rask steps up into position and swings his sword, the wolf is not paying attention. So focused is it on Eyena, that the creature completely misses the huge half-orc behind it until it is far too late. With one swing, Rask cleaves the wolf nearly in two, his greatsword splitting muscle and bone as he bisects his prey. There is little time even for a cry of pain as the wolf collapses quite abruptly, landing atop the corpse that was already lying on the ground. A quiet death rattle passes its lips, a sign of what is to come.

It seems the battle was won in a single stroke after all.

Show
    Shrine Map

Well, that was anticlimactic. The wolf is dead, hooray! And it didn't raise the alarm, which is very good for the party. The Shrine awaits now - I'll leave it up to you guys how you want to proceed with getting inside. Some insider knowledge might help you out here, or you guys can go all in and just bust down the door now. Either way will be entertaining for me, and (I hope) for you. Both of the doors are closed, and if you want to try to get inside undetected, I am going to need Stealth checks from everyone.

In other news, I'm quickly going to run out of ways to describe gory battle scenes with Rask around to carve things up into mincemeat.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-09 at 10:09 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Once the group agrees to accompany him, Narek gave them a nod of thanks, the look of relief obvious in his face. He led the way to the Shrine, focused on getting to the temple quickly. As luck would have it, they made it undetected. Upon seeing the wolf, he frowned as he recognized the body being fed upon by the wolf. "Damn, that was Noelan. He was the local priest. We should - "

He stopped, interrupted by two of the group rushing forward to attack. In mere seconds the wolf was dead, before it could even whimper. Blinking Narek stared, then nodded to himself. "Very well - we play the aggressors ..." He whistled and the brightly colored awoop lizard slipped out of his robes. He looked deep into its eyes, then nodded - it flew up and over the Shrine, looking about the area out of immediate arrow and bolt range. Moving swiftly to the door, Narek listened for a moment then pushed open the door, wands tucked in his belt and the crossbow in hand.
    Show
    Let's do this! Familiar to scout the building and area from above, and heading to the door.

N Perceptuon - (1d20+2)[16]
    V Perceptuon - (1d20+6)[15]
    Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4

19. - Top - End - #79

Mort & Armina

Mort whistled, impressed at Rask's skill with a blade - then gave a sad tilt of his head to the man who the wolf had disembowled.

Rest in peace. Whoever you are.

As Narek advanced, Mort called out softly.

"Wait, Narek. Armina is one of the more silent among us. Let her go first and check the bottom floor while your lizard checks the top."
    He turned to his sister. "If you would?"

"Gladly."

Armina then floated through the door in front of them.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Armina will advance through the door to scout things out. As a reminder, Armina is currently in incorporeal form; this means that she cannot be detected by hearing-based perception checks. She can, however, be detected by sight-based ones.

Stealth: 10 (As Rolled on Roll20)

Hopefully, none of the Hobgoblins are looking this way.

<Ummm... they may have just spotted me.>

Mort's face fell.

"Well, so much for that plan."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-07-09 at 10:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Armina & Visk

Both phantom and familiar set out at once, splitting up to cover a larger area around and above the Shrine. Visk's wings bear him aloft over the structure, and he ends up landing near one of its windows to peer inside. At the same time, Armina phases through the front door, only for a moment. Although looking into the building from different angles, they both catch glimpses of the same scene. Wooden statues of both Erastil and Desna - both now chopped and marred by hobgoblin weapons - stand in their own alcoves in the northwest end of the shrine, while alcoves on either side serve as general shrines to the variety of other gods and spirits worshiped by the locals. A dozen human bodies lie scattered across the floor and pews, and have been left to rot as invaders go about tearing apart the building. Given the filth, they are too far away to identify just yet.

And the Riverwood Shrine is not yet empty of invaders. Three more hobgoblin soldiers remain inside, two of which are busy using a pair of battleaxes to finish defiling what is left of the various idols placed here by the Phaendar villagers. The third is clearly female and stands slightly apart near the stone altar at the top of the Shrine, holding an intricate looking longbow. None of them stay on task long, however, as the female soldier looks up and spots Armina's ghostly figure. "Tyvash!", she cries to the others, who immediately drop what they're doing to draw their swords and face the door. She nocks an arrow to her bow herself, wary eyes searching the room for more signs of invaders.

Show
    Updated Map

Once again, events continue to thunder forward! Your two class features promptly got themselves seen by the Ironfangs inside, negating a possible surprise round for you. They won't have readied attacks if you breach now, but you'll just be rolling a standard Initiative. Oh, and the word in Goblin was akin to 'intruders', for those of you who speak it.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen raises his bow, but is ultimately unable to feel confident that he's got a clear shot until after Rask demolishes the wolf. With a grim expression, he walks past to the deceased (apparent) priest. Kneeling, he closes the man's eyes, and bows his head. "May the stones and soil reclaim you to change and live once more." Without further fanfare, Gilraen begins to rifle through the dead man's pockets for things that might prove useful to the survivors, as his companions begin exploring the area.

"We should investigate the hut as well- he may have kept some other useful belongings therein, and-" Mort's sudden dejection draws his attention to the shrine proper, and the barked command from inside leaves no question as to their discovery. "Very well. It must wait."

With marked urgency in his step, Gilraen approaches the doors, lifting his bow for combat, but staying clear of Rask's path. Looking towards the townspeople, he removes a hand from his bow and gestures for them to stay put. "We will deal with the intruders. Keep watch that we are not surprised by more." Without waiting to see that his words were observed, he moves between the doors, ready to fire.

Spoiler: Gilraen, round 1
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    M CG Elf Oracle (warsighted), Level 1, Init 5, HP 10/10, Speed 30
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS long bow (37 arrows) +3 (1d8, x3 )
    quarterstaff +2 (1d6+2, x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition Spells, 1st level: 4/4 remaining
    Martial Flexibility: 3/4

(1d20+5)[21] initiative

Move to the square in between the doors (ranged weapons can fire from any corner). If I need to use a second move action to open the door, I will (forgoing the attack). I would prefer to take advantage of someone else opening one of them.

(1d20+3)[5] long bow
    (1d20+3)[17] CC (23, x3)
    (1d8)[3] dmg
    (2d8)[6] crit bonus

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rasked ducked under a pew as best as his body would allow before making his way along the length of it. He tried to stuff the anger that was welling up back down and had to grit his teeth with the effort. An angry fighter was usually a dead fighter in his experience. Made for sloppy blade work. And he was plenty angry. That was the last real thought the big man had before he surged out from behind the pew at the hob on the left of the structure. There was nothing fancy about his sword work as he aimed a massive swing at the hob's shoulder.

Spoiler: Round 1 OOC
    Show

Rask
    Male N Half-orc Slayer (Vanguard), Level 1, Init 5, HP 8/13, Speed 30ft
    AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 6, Ref 6, Will 4, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus +1
    Greatsword +5 (2d6+6, 19-20/x2)
    Dagger +3 (1d4+4, x3)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 7
    Condition None

Move Action: Move 25ft in front of the Hobgoblin on the leftAction: Chop him good if he moves
    Standard Action: Chop the hob
    To hit (power attacking): (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[19]
    Critical Confirmation (1d20+4)[5]
    Critical hit damage: (2d6+9)[14]
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-07-10 at 08:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek paused as the others suggested he hold back for scouting purposes, but it seemed all for not - the hobgoblins saw the ghostly girl immediately. The group surged forward, with Rask charging into a soldier on the left. As the others took cover, Narek peered around the room, eyes looking across the bodies for familiar forms.

... he peered in the open room, gagging at the sight of the burned bodies, the acrid smell of burnt flesh and ash still thick in the air. He paused as he approached one pair of forms, away from the rest, hand trembling as he reached out to turn it over ...

Frowning, he snapped off a shot from the crossbow, almost absently, as he ducked back down. He hadn't seen either of them.

Yet ...

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    Prescience - (1d20)[7]
    Standard action: shot at the archer. Attack - (1d20+2)[11], Damage - (1d10)[9]
    Drop behind the pew for cover. Probably drop the crossbow, too
    Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Prescience: 5/7; wand of magic missile (10): wand of grease (12); unknown wand (25)

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes, it only takes one move to fell an enemy. At first, it's Rask charging up the western side of the Riverwood Shrine to try and eviscerate the approaching hobgoblin with the sword. He catches the soldier unawares, and although the Ironfang recruit gets his shield up to block, it's a fraction too slow, and the already-bloody greatsword claims another victim. The hobgoblin falls to the ground silently, its maimed body shaking in a death rattle that will soon claim its life. With Aubrin standing just outside the doors in case things go ill and the rest of the civilians up on the deck behind you, the way is clear to engage the invaders. However, the rest of your group is less successful, as first Gilraen and then Narek's shots at the archer at the end of the hall bouncing harmlessly off of the stone altar. Armina does manage to dodge the second hobgoblin's blade, but little else yet.

And then, somebody else falls. Before Rask's target even hits the floor, the archer has popped out from behind her cover. Up close, you can see that she is not dressed like the other two. She wears some kind of animal pelt or fur as a cloak, and she wears a shirt of finely made mail ringlets over lightweight boiled leather armor. Her skin is slightly paler than those of the other two, and her half-shaved head allows you to see a series of tribal tattoos that run from her fingertips up to her shoulders and crown her head. In a matter of seconds, she's fired off not one, but two arrows in the half orc's direction. The first one bounces off of his armor. The second runs right through his throat. When Rask goes down, the archer lets out a triumphant bark and her raspy voice fills the nave. "A half-breed falls to Semfet's arrows! You're next, humans!"

Spoiler: Round 1 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Whooo boy. So Rask struck yet again, downing another hob in one hit. Gilraen and Narek missed their mark slightly, as did the last melee hobgoblin who attacked Armina. However, Semfet got off her Rapid Shot and got a confirmed critical hit (on a composite longbow, no less), dealing Rask 15 damage. He is now at -7 and falling. n0ble, please keep making your Constitution checks to self-stabilize. You have 7 rounds before Rask dies.

Everyone else, you are good to post! There are only two combatants left, but one of them has two attacks per round. She still has partial cover from the altar right now, which means her AC against your ranged attacks is pretty solid. If you guys want to get Aubrin into this, you can either call her or try to heal Rask yourselves.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-11 at 04:32 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena looks between Aubrin and Rask, nodding once, before rushing further into the temple, coming to a stop with the altar before her and dipping behind it as much as she can. Looking down at her weapon, she prepares for the next surge of movement, for the decisive violence to come.

Show
    Yeah, just double moving to get that distance.

26. - Top - End - #86

Mort & Armina

Mortimer looked toward Rask's bleeding body, his eyes widening with alarm.

If he isn't dead, I can get over there and stabilize him - but I have to make sure the others are taken care of first.

Dropping prone to the ground, he reached out with his consciousness toward Armina, manifesting her corporeally through sheer willpower.

"Eat this!"

The phantom, now in ectoplasmic form, swung her fist at the hobgoblin...

Show
    Mort will drop prone as a free action, granting him +4 AC vs ranged attacks, then change Armina from Incorporeal Form to Ectoplasmic Form, which is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Next, Armina, who is now corporeal, will 5-foot step to the north of the hobgoblin and swing a fist at him.

Attack: 15
    Damage: 3

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

The hobgoblin fired arrow after arrow, each shaft plunging into his companion's chests. First, the half-orc dropped. The the elven archer. Next, the spellsword. Finally the young man. The last thing he saw was two arrows streaking straight for his own chest, thudded with sickening finality.

Narek blinked, his hand subconsciously going to his chest. With a sigh of relief, he moved forward quickly. a wand in hand at the ready. Closing in on the altar, he concentrated for a moment and activated the wand. A thick, slippery film formed on the hobgoblin' bow, making it a task to hold onto.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show
    Grease vs object (longbow); Ref vs DC 15 per round

Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Prescience: 5/7; wand of magic missile (10): wand of grease (11); unknown wand (25)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-07-12 at 05:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

With a grimace, Gilraen notes Rask's sudden fall. Unwilling to let himself be dismayed, he presses onward into the shrine to try to harry the Hobgoblin archer. Kneeling between two rows of pews, he sights towards the altar, takes a breath and releases another shaft just as she leans out from behind cover.

Spoiler: Gilraen, round 2
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    M CG Elf Oracle (warsighted), Level 1, Init 5, HP 10/10, Speed 30
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS long bow (56 arrows) +3 (1d8, x3 )
    quarterstaff +2 (1d6+2, x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition Point Blank Shot
    Spells, 1st level: 4/4 remaining
    Martial Flexibility: 3/4

move between first two rows of pews and pew pew. Hooray PBS!

(1d20+4)[12] long bow
    (1d20+4)[19] CC (24, x3)
    (1d8+1)[3] dmg
    (2d8+2)[11] crit bonus

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

With Rask left to bleed out on the ground, Eyena finds it falls to her to close the distance, which she does successfully as Semfet reloads on the other side of the altar. Narek follows not to far behind, although he isn't quite able to make it to proper cover in time. As he moves, the wizard completes his spell, and a quiescent layer of grease starts to cover the edges of the enemy's bow. The tattooed hobgoblin scout manages to shake the spell's effects off before they can take hold in earnest, however. "It will take more than filthy elf-magic to take away Semfet's new weapon!", she cries from behind the stone plinth.

Back at the entrance to the Shrine, Aubrin steps in at the magus' invitation. The cleric rushes into the pews, keeping her head down to avoid getting hit herself as she reaches the fallen warrior. "May Cailean bless these hands," Aubrin prays as her hands find Rask's neck. Slowly, the bleeding stops and the wound closes, as the half-orc regains consciousness. Not too far away, the hobgoblin infantryman tries his luck against Armina, only for the phantom to step aside at the last second. In doing so, however, she undercuts her own attack, which hits nothing but empty air.

That's when Semfet strikes again, a pair of arrows flying over the altar in search of new targets. Eyena is lucky enough to have made it behind the stone, as the arrowhead embeds itself in the floor next to her. Narek, on the other hand, finds an arrow buried deep in his chest, and darkness comes for him earlier than his visions indicated.

Spoiler: Round 2 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

So I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that Aubrin got up to heal Rask for 15 hit points, bringing him back up to a positive total and the hobgoblin missed Armina. The bad news is that Gilraen missed Semfet, she successfully saved against the grease, and she managed to hit Narek for 9 damage, putting him down as well. Eyena really was saved by the cover there (even partial cover wouldn't have been enough).

It's okay though - she's still averaging one downed PC per round.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena stares at the arrow that nearly hit her for just a moment before standing fully, rushing around the altar, towards Semfet - and then past her, before stopping suddenly for a swing.

Show
    So, I have just enough movement to do this. And since the altar should be at least difficult terrain, Semfet is stuck. She can't 5' step away and fire at Eyena.

A: (1d20+4)[24]
    D: (1d10+5)[10] (Since Eyena two-hands when she isn't casting, this should've been +4 rather than +3 this whole time...oops.)