New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3SC's Ironfang Invasion IC

Concern heightens, mingled with satisfaction as Eyena rather effectively ends the threat posed by the archer. Gilraen dashes across the narrow aisle, his eyes on Narek. "The earth does not call your name yet, friend." His hands pulse with a dim glow as he reaches out from between the pews to place them on the fallen man.

Spoiler: Gilraen, round 3
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    M CG Elf Oracle (warsighted), Level 1, Init 5, HP 10/10, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS long bow (56 arrows) +3 (1d8, x3 )
    quarterstaff +2 (1d6+2, x2)
    Studded leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition Point Blank Shot
    Spells, 1st level: 3/4 remaining (CLW, DF, SoF)
    Martial Flexibility: 3/4

move as noted in Roll20, CLW on Narek:

+(1d8+1)[9] HP to the wizard!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mort & Armina

Watching as the hobgoblin with the bow downed Narek, only to be downed in turn by Eyena, Mortimer turned his attention to the one fighting with Armina.

<He is the only one left. It's teamwork time!>

Charging forward with his scythe at the ready, Mort swung at the hobgoblin, Armina flanking him from the opposite side.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Armina uses Aid Another: 19

Mort's Attack: 25
    Damage: 9
    Everything dissolves into blue.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Still alive. The last thing that'd struck him was the the arrow connecting with his throat. Maybe if it had been a few more inches upward he would have died. Would have been more than a worthy death for the life he'd lived. Yet here he was on his arse with a blade in hand. Rask had always been lucky that way.

His eyes snapped open. There was a small moment where he was taking in the ceiling of the shrine, but any wonder was lost on Rask as he got up. Dam near headbutted Aubrin in his haste to right himself. He nodded in apology and in acknowledgment of her healing before standing up to full height, bracing himself on the sword. His old comrade in arms. The arrow was all but out as he plucked it from his neck and wheeled about at the remaining hob. Rask moved forward towards the combatants. The young man. The hob. The pretty woman trying her best. He tried to ignore the molten pain in his throat as he advanced.

Spoiler: OOC Round 3
    Show

Move action: Stand up
    Move Action: Move towards the big melee involving Mort the Hob and Armina

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

The last thing he saw was an arrow streaking straight for his own chest, thudding with sickening finality. The world shifted in response, with the ceiling of the building falling from the sky to fill his eyes ... just before darkness slowly filled his eyes.

But like a long blink when fatigue threatens to overcome weary eyes, Narek found himself suddenly awake, peering at the elven archer, who was hovering in front of him. Sitting up, he saw the focus in the room had shifted to the hobgoblin behind him. Pulling out another wand, he fired off a blast of magic, the glowing orb unerringly flying across the room to strike the soldier in the chest.

Spoiler: Round 3
    Show
    Release the grease spell once he relizes the hob archer is down. Draw magic missile wand and fire at remaining hob Dam - (1d4+1)[5]

Status
    AC: 12 HP: 7 Init +9 Move 30'
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Spells: prestidigitation, detect magic, message; grease, mage armor, heightened awareness
    Prescience: 5/7; wand of magic missile (9): wand of grease (11); unknown wand (25)
    Effect: prestidigitation (1hr)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

After what seem like hours but are actually mere moments, Eyena manages to round the Riverwood Shrine's altar, closing the gap between Semfet and her former targets. "For the Ironfang Legio-" the archer doesn't finish her sentence even as she is in the middle of reloading, when Blütenstaub's heavy blade comes down upon her midsection. Instead of a fearsome war cry, the sound she produces sounds like a hateful gasp as her insides very quickly become her outsides. She crumples under the force of the sword, the great bow clattering from her hands to land on the nearby floor, and does not move to get back up.

Mortimer, not to be outdone, gets his moment as the third hobgoblin - very unaware of the scout's fate - continues to fight on. With some canny positioning between the spiritualist and his spectral sister, the Ironfang trooper does not know where to turn, only to find a scythe blade in his back. Both Gilraen and Aubrin's curative magics also seem to have done the trick, as Narek and Rask alike make recoveries from the potentially lethal wounds dealt by Semfet. By the time the half-orc has hauled himself up to his feet, the diviner already has his wand out, and the glowing force projectile is in the air by the time Rask starts to move. The hobgoblin still stands despite the battering he's taken and, in one swing, manages to carve a massive chunk of ectoplasm from Armina's temporary body. He clearly isn't going down without a fight.

Spoiler: Round 3 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Congratulations, you cleared the machine gun nest Ironfang scout! She's at -2 and falling, and the hobgoblin that Rask hit has yet to make a stabilization roll either. The last hob is still up though, despite having Mort and Narek hit him for some damage this round. He managed to get in one more hit against Armina, striking her for 8 damage and bringing her down to the brink as well. Aubrin's moved forward but is otherwise just chilling this round, since she'll probably burn a third channel out of combat (or heal Armina in the next round if asked). There's only one enemy left - FINISH HIM!
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #96

Mort & Armina

Electing to let steel, rather than words, do the trick, Armina and Mort sliced through the air.

<Together Now!>

Show
    Armina's Aid Another: 20
    Mort's Attack: 18
    Damage: 10

When the hobgoblin fell, Mort looked to his sister.

<Are you alright?>

<On the edge here... but I'll manage.>

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Over behind the altar, Eyena lowers herself silently, cleaning off Blütenstaub and pulling out one of her daggers. With a brief moment of frowning hesitation, she stares down at the bleeding-out hobgoblin, before returning both weapons to their former places, picking up Semfet's bow and leaving her to go back towards the others. Briefly, she slows, staring at the odd sight of a spectrally-injured Armina for a few steps before looking away again, somewhat awkwardly approaching Aubrin and presenting her with the bow.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Slowing rising to his feet, Narek aimed the wand in the direction of the last hobgoblin, muttering under his breath, "Just die already ..." Fortunately, it seemed the others had the situation in hand, so he lowered the wand and tucked it into his belt. With the hobgoblins dead, the mage quickly began a search of the victims in the Shrine, searching the faces carefully.

Spoiler: OOC?
    Show
    Ready? Stand. Fire!
    Dam - (1d4+1)[2]
    - shouldn't be needed ...

Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Spells: prestidigitation, detect magic, message; grease, mage armor, heightened awareness
    Prescience: 5/7; wand of magic missile (9); wand of grease (11); unknown wand (25)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-07-13 at 02:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

The hobgoblin, focused on his impending victory over a dead woman, ignores Mortimer again to his own demise, as a second scythe stroke cuts him down. For a few breaths, all is quiet in the Riverwood Shrine, even though you can still hear the wolves and screams outside. Eyena's approach confirms that Semfet is also down for the count, as she carries the hobgoblin's bow. Upon closer inspection, however, the exquisite woodwork along the handles and the graceful wingtips at the ends do not speak to hobgoblin craftsmanship. Aubrin only confirms it. "That bow was property of the Shrine, considered an offering to Old Deadeye himself. The hobgoblins put an end to that when they... gods above." Her voice breaks slightly as the enormity of the massacre and desecration hits her. "I shouldn't take it. My eyesight isn't what it once was. Let Gilraen use it, and honour the god that way."

As the town ranger speaks, Narek begins his search of the dead, looking at the faces of the bodies in the hopes that he does find what he is looking for. Luck or the gods is with him, though, as the figures of his family are not among those slaughtered here. He does, however, find something else of note: a plain burlap sack tucked to the side of one of the pews, a dried brown stain indicating its origins. The Ironfang soldiers who visited this place weren't content with destroying the statues and killing the civilians, it seems. The products of their looting spill out as the bag is opened. The first thing to grab the wizard's attention is yet another magical wand, this one with a decorative elm handle. Also taken from the house of worship are a silver goblet, a handcarved butterfly that looks to have been made from a stand of darkwood from deep in the forest, three full bottles of fine amber liquor, and several jars of glittering gold dust. There are also a few purses, which are heavy with coin or little gemstones for trade. Finally, there appears to be a holy symbol of sorts among the haul, in the form of a a round ivory amulet engraved in the crossed arrows of Erastil.

"I don't know if you were thinking of leaving that but... we should take what we can. The dead do not need these where they're going, and we just might." Nevertheless, Aubrin takes the time to say a small blessing over the bodies left in the wake of the carnage, before looking at the holy icons and the altar. "If anyone knows of any last rites or prayers to close this Shrine, I'm sure that the patrons watching over it would show their gratitude. Meanwhile Narek, I don't see any members of your family here. Actually, there are a few others missing. They might be in Noelan's shack."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well done on another fight! This one marks the second major above CR encounter for the day. The loot in the sack can be identified as an elm wand of cause fear (12 charges), a silver cup (15 gp), a hand-sized darkwood carving of a butterfly (20 gp), three bottles of Oldlaw whiskey (20 gp each), 100 gp worth of gold dust, 27 small semiprecious stones (worth 1 gp each), and 76 gp, as well as the amulet with Erastil's bow-and-arrow holy symbol strung on a leather thong (10 gp). Narek is welcome to take 10 on his Spellcraft attempts to identify the wand with detect magic.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 10
    Show
    The ivory amulet with the holy symbol actually belongs to Lirosa, a local hunter and worshiper of Erastil who regularly leaves the amulet in the Shrine in order for it to 'recharge' while she's staying in town.

Spoiler: Perception DC 18
    Show
    Anyone with keen eyes searching the area around the altar uncovers an overlooked alcove holding 150 gp worth of silver dust, an aegis of recovery, and a wand of cure light wounds (21 charges). These items seem to have been missed by the Ironfang soldiers.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

10. - Top - End - #100

Mort & Armina

As Narek searched for signs of his family (and thankfully, in this case, found none, as everyone here appeared to be dead), Mort and Armina took a careful look around the shrine for any clues or important items - and found, after several seconds, their attention drawn to a small alcove near the altar. Wandering over, Mort reached in, and, retrieving some magical items, called to the rest of the group.

"I'm afraid Erastil's rites aren't my forte, so, ummm... I can't help with the rites. Sorry. But, er, I actually do have a couple of things to say, really. That ivory amulet, there? I've seen that before, it belongs to Lirosa. Local hunter, likes to leave it here to 'recharge' when she's not out in the woods. If we do find her, well, we probably should return it. As for the other thing, I found these items in the alcove."

Mort held up the wand to Narek to be identified.

Spoiler: Under the assumption that Narek does so successfully...
    Show
    "If no-one objects, I would like to hold onto this wand, if for no other reason than Armina doesn't heal like normal people do. I usually have to patch her up myself."

He turned to Aubrin.

"Speaking of healing, if you have any energy left to channel, Aubrin, you should conserve it for now. In the meantime, gather around, everyone, and I'll try to patch you up."

Show
    Assuming Narek, as above, successfully identifies the wand of Cure Light Wounds, Mortimer will expend some charges to try and heal everyone up.

Rask: 8, 2, and 3 HP for a total of 13
    Eyena: 7 and 9 HP for a total of 16. If the first charge was enough to bring her back up to full health, Mortimer will use the next charge on...
    Aubrin: Who he will also give one shot of 7 HP for good measure regardless of what else happens.
    And then, finally Armina: 9 HP

Theoretically, everyone should now be back at full health. Let me know if I've missed anyone.

"Now that that's over with, I also concur we should check the shack. Maybe someone's hidden there, Ashava willing..."

And with danger gone for the moment, Mort found his own thoughts drawn to the one who'd taken him and Armina in after... everything. Alice.

<Do you think she's alright?>

<We can only hope. But just focus on the task at hand. One foot in front of the other.>
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-07-13 at 09:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask let out a small wheeze as the last hob fell. His throat felt raw as the heat of battle left his body. The big man ran a hand along his neck and it came back flecked with crimson. He nodded at Mort and the woman in approval. They did well, if you wanted to call killing someone a good job done. Rask sure didn't. The healing magery that there were flooding his body with went a long ways towards relieving the pain at the base of his throat. Rask croaked out an unintelligible grunt of thanks before easing himself down into a pew, slightly despondent at how old he was feeling and how much more killing there was going to be tonight.

He looked around and tried to see if there was anything of value he could take from the place. Coin to barter for passage, the odd holy weapon someone that wasn't him could use. More food. His eyes eventually came to rest on the hob that had nearly killed him. He went over to her body and began to rifle through it for things that looked useful. Some fine bladesmenship was on display on the hobs body. Rask wasn't one to feel jealous over killing people, but it was dam fine work by his estimation.

Show

Searching Semfet's body if no one else has yet.

Last edited by n0ble; 2017-07-13 at 09:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Sighing in relief, Narek stood for a moment in the middle of the shrine, staring off into space. When the others gathered the items found, he cast a cantrip to determine which items were enchanted, and what they could do. Once the group began discussing their next move, he peeked up at the idea of searching the caretaker's house.

"Let's check there next." He paused to load the crossbow, then moved to the door, mentally summoning Visk to his arm.

Spoiler: OOC?
    Show
    Spellcraft - (1d20+8)[15]

Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Weapon: Hvy crossbow w/18 bolts (10 MW)
    Prescience: 5/7; wand of magic missile (9); wand of grease (11); unknown wand (25)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

"Well I suppose one of you can give it to her," Aubrin replies. "I'm not familiar with Erastil's blessings either, sorry to say. I'll try to do my best." The cleric of Cayden Cailean loiters near the door, clearly uncomfortable in the space. Despite the majority of her wounds being healed by now, the woman in front of you is a far sight from the boisterous one telling bawdy tales of bears back at the Taproot. For a moment, she looks like she's about to say something else, but refrains. She doesn't call any of the others in, saying one last private prayer to the dead while clutching her golden tankard holy symbol before stepping back out to join Jet.

Rask, when going through all of Semfet's belongings, finds a bit more than he might have expected. Besides the bow, the hobgoblin also possessed a shirt of crude but quite functional metal rings that is easy enough to slide off, as well as a handmade and couple of potions and other flasks in her back pocket. The potions are marked in Goblin as curative elixirs, while the other concoctions have symbols in the same language that denote an incendiary payload. She was also carrying a low bag on her belt, with a few rolls and other trail rations, no doubt standard issue for Legion scouts on the trail like her. If she had survived your encounter, she would have certainly been among the first to cross the Marideth into the Fangwood to pursue you.

Narek is already outside, his crossbow and familiar ready should any enemy combatants be hiding in the shed. But he throws the door open to find a familiar and heartening sight: a few non-combatants are huddling or crouching in the safety of the structure, which itself is fairly bare and contains little more than a bed, a desk and a chest of drawers. The tallest among them is a young blonde woman with cherubic features and a bright smile of hope as soon as she sees that the person knocking down the door isn't a hobgoblin intent on murdering everyone present. Those of you familiar with Phaendar's workings recognize her as Noelan's assistant priest, Rhyna. But she is not the only one inside. Narek also finds none other than Thel charge the gap to give him a hug, while Shara approaches not far behind.

Spoiler: Rhyna
    Show
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-14 at 06:15 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Stepping forward, Narek leaned down to grab the young boy in a bear hug. As the woman approached, hesitated for a moment then pulled her in. "Thank the gods you're both okay ...I was so worried."

Show
    Whew!

Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-07-16 at 02:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Mort & Armina

Mort gave a sigh of relief as, for the first time that night, they laid eyes on other survivors.

<At least someone made it.>

"Is everyone alright in here?"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen looks about the shrine feeling distinctly out of sorts. Despite his ambitions, killing wasn't something that came easily to the (relatively) young Elf- even in the defense of Nature, her bounty, or her allies. He nods in grim satisfaction, more at the ending of a threat than life, as Mort and his spectral sibling finish the last Hobgoblin. Perhaps some small part of him was glad he hadn't been the one to perform the deed. Still, it had to be done...

When Aubrin rejects the bow, Gilraen's eyebrow raises. At her suggestion that he take it, he frowns thoughtfully. No one has ever... With an uncomfortable expression, he accepts the implement, marveling over the masterful handiwork. "I have made a few bows, including my short bow, but this... this is fine work. Thank you." With an oddly reverent glance towards the altar, he inclines his head. As the rest of the party explores the faces of the dead and their findings, Gilraen turns towards the door leading to the shack.

He moves to the portal and peers beyond, his new bow held at the ready. Seeing Narek ahead of him, Gilraen hurries out to help ensure the man's safety.

Show
    Looking towards the shack, keeping eyes out for additional threats and all that.
    (1d20+6)[10] perception

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena quietly takes the holy symbol of Erastil, the only thing from the shrine that she doesn't immediately turn over to another or expect someone else to bring; giving a silent nod to Narek's words about bringing it to Lirosa. Briefly, her eyes widen, though she doesn't seem to be looking at anything in particular and quickly heads off to follow the others on their way to the next building. There, luckily, they find neither corpses nor enemies, instead stumbling upon a room full of survivors.

Though near the front at first, Eyena quickly slips away from the reunion, even if it's only a few steps, glancing over the others. It's brief, but she gives Rhyna a brief, almost shy, nod before moving her gaze over to...something vague, off to the side.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

For a long moment, the family of three stays together in a group hug. Thel holds onto his father, his dark hair matted with sweat as the boy lets out a few tears of relief. "They came into our home," says Shara, "even the Shrine was overrun before we could get to safety. Thankfully Rhyna had the quick thinking to bring us here." She nods her thanks to the acolyte, who returns it with an even brighter smile as she steps outside to meet your group of survivors. It only dims slightly when it comes face to face with Noelan's half-eaten body, at which point the priestess drops to her knees in prayer. A few of the others watch, while Jet and Aubrin keep a watch on your surroundings.

"We should leave, and quickly," the adventuring cleric says. "We got what we came for here, and there are still plenty of other places in town we should visit before getting to the Fangwood. Narek, I'm glad to see your family is alright, but we need to keep moving." After a minute, Rhyna gets up to join her. The acolyte's button nose and big blue eyes are marred slightly by a few dirt smudges on her features and her clothes where she no doubt crawled to avoid detection. And yet, her eyes shed no tears. Instead, she brushes a strand of blonde hair out of her face in what can only be described as sheer determination.

When Rhyna opens her mouth to speak, a bubbly but firm voice emerges. "So we're to head for the Fangwood? Well, I can't say that I haven't been looking forward to a camping trip!"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:15 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena watches Rhyna as she kneels by the corpse, shifting a foot forwards, then seeming to hesitate and pull back, multiple times. When the woman stands, she seems a moment away from speaking, but doesn't. The only sound she makes is a sort of soft snort, a pair of near-silent puffs of air out through her nose.

"With highest regard to your process of thinking, that lead to this conclusion, ah, Rhyna, I am, was, of the belief that our plan to progress further would lead us through other structures of this settlement. Particularly the shop, owned by Oreld, which would be our next destination. Unless we change our plan," Eyena says, seeming incapable of looking at the woman she's speaking to for more than half of the time she is speaking. She almost seems ready to speak more, but stops, closing her mouth already half-open for further speech and simply nodding.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2017-07-17 at 06:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask stood by impassively while Narek's family and the acolyte made their way into the shrine. For his part the big man was ready to move along. The mage had his family, the group had another sort of religiously inclined person in the form Rhyna and Rask had the hob bowwoman's trappings, barring her instrument of death.

The new woman's words grated on him, though he wasn't sure if it was the implicit good naturedness or their content. If anything it was the smile she wore as she came in. Didn't seem like there was much to smile about, but then again people took comfort where they could in bad times. Rask gave a nod at what Aubrin said before slowly heading towards the door. His hand went up to where the arrow had almost killed him and rubbed at the scar tissue. Acquiring healing tonics seemed like a good idea in light of what had happened.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-07-17 at 08:42 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Rhyna looks at Eyena for a moment, as though surprised at the woman's hesitation. She seems slightly confused for a moment that the person who addressed her isn't looking her in the eye, but says nothing of it. Instead, she simply nods along vigorously at the proposition. "That sounds like a great plan! Camping in the woods without the proper gear doesn't sound very fun, and Erastil helps those who help themselves. Besides, anyone we can save on the way out will make the trip worthwhile. Thank you all again, for taking the time to come here. Honestly, I wasn't quite sure what we were going to do next!" There's a chorus of agreements from the rest of those who were huddled in the shack, who now that they join your band you see to have been a not insignificant number. Two of them have the look of fighters about them, and waste no time in outfitting themselves with some of the weapons that the common townsfolk are less capable of wielding. Four others - Shara and Thel among them - settle to the rear ranks, with those less comfortable in the fray. And Rhyna herself, along with what appears to be a second priest, follow Aubrin. All in all, your group has grown to a band of well over a dozen.

It's perhaps inevitable, then, that your path through the town is blocked this time.

As you leave the Riverwood Shrine and make your way around the outskirts of Phaendar to your next agreed upon location - the Trading Company - an arrow finds a place right next to Rask's head. Like before, you all try to keep to the shadows, steering clear of the worst of the fighting and the screams. Your route has taken you between two homesteads, and up to now you haven't been attached. And yet, suddenly the face of a second Ironfang archer leers down at you. From all appearances, the enemy looks a bit like Semfet back at the Shrine, only this one's bow isn't anywhere as finely crafted. Seeing that his first shot missed, he draws in preparation to fire for a second time.

Spoiler: Surprise Round OOC
    Show
    Map of Combat

The hobgoblin had a surprise round (he beat your guys' and your companions' Perception checks, if only barely), but he just missed hitting Rask with it. I've rolled for Initiative in the Roll20 to save us some time - as is becoming the norm, everyone but Eyena and Mortimer can act before the enemy hobgoblin goes.

Your NPC allies consist of Aubrin, 4 1st level Warriors, 1 1st level Adept, as well as Jet and Rhyna (who are a 2nd level Warrior and Adept, respectively), and they will act on the enemies' turn when I update for the round.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:16 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen quickly finds himself in an uncomfortable situation, surrounded as his is by an apparently joyful reunion. With a curt (less-polite than intentional) groan, he mutters, "We have not got the time for pleasantries, methinks. The town is more overrun by the moment." As an afterthought, he adds, "and it is likely best to not think of this as a pleasure trip. The Fangwood is not a... gentle place." With his newfound bow, Gilraen strides near the front of the group, eager to be amidst the trees, himself.

The arrow takes Gilraen as much by surprise as the others. With a silent grimace, he curses his own inobservance as he searches for the source, anxious to respond in kind.

Spoiler: Gilraen, round 1
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    M CG Elf Oracle (warsighted), Level 1, Init 5, HP 10/10, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS MW composite long bow (56 arrows) +4 (1d8+2, x3 )
    quarterstaff +2 (1d6+2, x2)
    Studded leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition Charisma to saves vs enchantment
    Spells, 1st level: 3/4 remaining (CLW, DF, SoF)
    Martial Flexibility: 3/4

Roll20 appears... incomplete. Assuming that "shoot the guy who shot at us in an option:
    (1d20+4)[18] attack (bonuses do not include PBS- assuming greater than 30')
    (1d20+4)[19] CC (24, x3)
    (1d8+2)[7] dmg
    (2d8+4)[10] crit bonus

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

For long moments, Narek hugged Shara and Thel. The woman was small, yet sturdy woman with sandy hair, green eyes and features that spoke of some amount of elven descent. The boy was dark haired and as tall as his mother. His frame was leaner, and he shared more features with his father than mother ... except for the blueish skin - the boy was obviously human. Narek shushed the two, happy they were alive. He turned to Rhyna and nodded his thanks, although frowning slightly at the woman's attitude. However for now he shrugged it away as her way of dealing with the situation. "You have my thanks, Rhyna. I'm glad so many were here, even if I was selfishly concerned with only two." He glanced at Shara and Thel before continuing.

"Now we must gather if their families and retreat to the woods - i'm sorry but we need to abandon Phaendar for now. Does anyone know why the Legion would attack now?" . It was a fitting irony that the one who could probably answer the question was most likely dead by Narek's own hand ...

As the group moved swiftly through the town, Narek walked with his family, hovering nervous way. He spoke in continued whispers, asking how they were doing, if they were hurt, whether they were hungry, etc. When the surprise attack happened, Narek pushed his family back behind the building, whispering "Stay here - don't come out until it's safe!"

Peering out, he pulled out one of the wands and fired it at the archer.
    Show
    Magic missile vs hob Damage - (1d4+1)[4]

Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Prescience: 5/7; wand of magic missile (8); wand of grease (11); unknown wand (25)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

His eyebrow's raised in alarm as the arrow hissed past his face. He silently cursed. If there was one person who deserved a good chopping right now it was the man who invented the bow and arrow. No way he was running into getting shot again, specially not with the others hanging back to the degree they were. Instead Rask planted his great sword in the ground and took out his own longbow, one from the dead hobs. He moved next to the building everyone was sequestered behind as he withdrew it. After taking a moment to gage the hobs movements Rask let the arrow fly, unconcerned with the contradiction of his thoughts and actions.

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show

Move Action:
    Standard Action: Attack
    To hit: (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage: (1d8)[3]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+3)[16]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

"Everyone, take cover!" Jet's voice, suddenly full of authority, galvanizes the previously frozen refugees into action. With only a few quickly muted cries of concern, most of them shuffle into place, putting a solid bit of building between then and the enemy scout. Unfortunately, a bit of smoke and a few sparks on the house's thatched roof mean that it won't be safe to stand beside it for long. Dispatching the hobgoblin has just jumped up to the top of your list of priorities.

It's certainly a good thing, then, that Gilraen and Narek are so ready to deal with the threat. The elf's movements are fluid and his aim is true, his own arrow reaching high to slam into the Ironfang's shoulder. It's a proper through shot, and could have felled a lesser beast, but the hobgoblin yet stands strong. After making sure his wife and son are secure, Narek's own magical projectile follows suit, deepening the wound. Most of you would have buckled under that kind of punishment; it's more of a testament to the Legion's regimen and natural toughness that he remains ready to shoot. What's more, Rask is already moving, drawing back his own bow to peg the archer and graze off his ear. A howl of pain, followed by a colourful string of goblinoid curses rings down from the fenced porch.

Before he can meet his end, the Ironfang is ready to shoot again. Two more arrows are loosed from on high, aimed squarely at the adventurers who hurt him. His aim must be off from all the wounds he's sustained, however, as both attacks miss their mark entirely!

Spoiler: Round 1 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Good work so far! This guy is already way down into the single digits from the three attacks he just took, and his Rapid Shot counter was entirely ineffective at hitting anyone (especially since most of you have at least some form of cover now). He also has partial cover, but his armor is only leather, which means an 18 will hit him.

And I've posted, which means we're in block for the rest of this (probably quite short) combat.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:16 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask calmly drew another arrow from the quiver and sighted down it's length, tracking the hob with his good eye. Once he was sure he got the archer's movement down, he loosed another arrow without fanfare or conversation.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show

Move Action: Studied Target on the archer for that sweet sweet +1 bonus
    Standard Action: Attack
    To hit: (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage:(1d8+1)[8]
    Critical Hit confirmation: (1d20+4)[18]

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Before the Ironfang can even register what's happened, Rask's second arrow impales him right through the chest, all but ripping open his ribcage where Gilraen and Narek's magic opened the red path. He tumbles out of sight with nary a sound, and just as suddenly as it appeared, any threat to your group is at an end.

"Well shot, all of you," Aubrin says as she comes up from nearer the back of the column. Her wooden leg seems to have been troubling her a bit, but she silences its creaking with what could very well be a mock glare. "With warriors like you defending us, we'll make it to safety yet. The way to the Trading Company should be open now; although I don't much like the idea of Kining grouching at us, we'll need all of the weapons and armor we can get our hands on. Besides, she was the one working on the repairs to Phaendar Bridge. If anyone knows how to dismantle the damned thing, it's going to be her."

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 12
    Show
    The current owner of the Phaendar Trading Company is a cantankerous and scheming dwarf and the town smith Kining Blondebeard, who was exiled from Glimmerhold for crimes she refuses to divulge. Despite her greed and lack of compassion, she lives up to the letter of agreements and turns out fine metal goods the town relies on, and so most of the locals accept her inhospitable nature as 'a dwarf thing' and leave her be. As Aubrin mentioned, she was the one called upon to perform the repairs on Phaendar Bridge as well.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-18 at 06:44 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

28. - Top - End - #118

Mort & Armina

Mort scratched the back of his neck.

"Well, um... fire usually works well on bridges, if they're made of wood, at least. Stone's a little trickier, but if you can find something explosive that'll do it."

He looked toward the dead hobgoblin.

"In any case, we'd best take what we can find from him and hurry along."

Show
    Mort will loot the hobgoblin before hurrying the others along to the Trading Company.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Putting the wand away, Narek motioned for Shara and Thel to join him. He nodded to Aubrin's suggestion. "Aye, Kining is our next best bet, presuming we get it in writing. We should make haste, least we get caught by a larger patrol."

As the band crept through the town, the scout raised a hand, signaling a stop. The mage slipped forward to peer past the scout, his magesight active. With a shake of his head, he indicated no active auras were visible, then slipped back to join the others. A few moments later, the scout stepped out and immediately three bolts flew out from various windows; with a combined roar, six hobgoblins, heavily armed and armored, rushed out from doors and from behind crates, lashing at the scout. Their weapons all passed through the scout, however, who made a rude gesture, as he flickered and disappeared.

Down a side street the mage grinned as his companions continued to sneak away from the fighting, his spell trucking the hobs... at least for the time being ...

Show
    Ready to continue!

Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Prescience: 5/7; wand of magic missile (8); wand of grease (11); unknown wand (25)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

He nodded at Aubrin's words. Kinning made good steel, even if it was a bit overpriced for what he was used to. Just how a small town smithy would work. Rask shouldered his bow and dragged the big sword out of its resting spot in the ground. The weight of it was oddly comforting, for by his own judgment he was much better with a blade than any sort of ranged implement. He offered the open backpack to Mort if he wanted to stow anything of value in it before setting off at the head of the group again.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-07-19 at 08:53 AM.