New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Legend of the Five Rings- Iron Rokugan: The Golden War

It's an age of discovery and wonder in the lands of Rokugan. Since the reintroduction of foreigners and gaijin pepper into the public eye of Rokugan, technology harnessing its power has flourished. Trains and firearms are now mainstays of the Rokugani landscape and culture where pistols are carried at the waist of Samurai as readily as their daisho and Iron Dragons (trains) turn arduous, weeks-long overland routes between lands, into pleasurable trips cutting travel times drastically.

While technology has flourished, some still cling to the traditions of the past, eschewing the advancements made over the last 3 and a half centuries since the events of Empress Hantei Meisho and her contemporaries. Heimin and samurai alike rebuke these advancements for a simpler life. Many amongst the clans feel that these advancements wear away at the soul and push the empire from the guidance of the heavens.

What path will our players choose in this brave new time?

Welcome to Iron Rokugan!
    "Your knowledge cannot save you. Your magic cannot save you. Nothing can save you." -Hida Kisada

2. - Top - End - #2

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: Legend of the Five Rings- Iron Rokugan: The Golden War

In the Summer of 1169 IC The landscape of Rokugan is in a state of constant change. The Imperial City, Toshi Ranbo, is the cultural and spiritual nexus of the empire with artisans creating masterpieces to dazzle and enliven the soul. In the last 350 years however, The empire has added another facet: That of a booming technological growth that has seen the quality of life and the empire as a whole soar to heights unseen.

The original Imperial city Otosan Uchi was made into a gigantic embassy for foreign diplomats, laborers, and merchants to ply their trades and do business with all manner of Rokugani. With this new influx of cultures and ideas, there was a begruding acceptance of gaijin pepper or polvora*. While at first many seemed opposed to the idea of firearms, once it was made legal the best minds in the empire set forth to create a menagerie of uses for it.

Rokugan's armies transformed drastically during this time as one can imagine. Ashigaru** were now equipped with bayonetted rifles instead of spears. samurai began to wear pistols in addition their daisho as a mark of their station. The Crab Clan specifically began utilizing this knowledge towards their eternal foes of the shadowlands. The war machines of the Crab were great and terrible to the point where even the denizens of the shadowlands retreated at this unprecedented might. The Crab lands grew as they began mounting reclamation missions. Taking back the blighted lands and restoring peaceful kami# to them. The wall was moved to its final resting place cover a wide swath of the new lands including the reclaimed Hiruma Castle. The Kaiu Family became revered for their genius application of firearms but none more famous than Kaiu Fukuro, a legendary weaponsmith so renowned he was allowed to create a minor clan, the Owl Clan, for the sole purpose of creating and testing weapons deemed too dangerous in the empire proper to know about. Their lands were on the vanguard of crab armies where their efficacy could be tested on a proper foe: the inhuman monsters of the shadowlands.

Though the militaristic applications of it were overt, there were those whose imagination was aimed more at improving the lives of the empires citizens. The Empress who allowed originally allowed firearms, Hantei Meisho, had a child-like fascination with Locomotives. She was allowed to travel outside of rokugans lands as a child when she first saw one and very early in her reign demanded a locomotive be made in Rokugan. Engineers from the empire over to create a Locomotive . The Kaiu family of the Crab were able to complete this task first. The other clans would fall in line and in time, Railways were created throughout the empire.

While this boom has brought about great improvements this was not without some growing pains. in order to have an armed and effective military with more complex weaponry, the Ashigaru would need to become educated enough to read. Their education lead to the peasantry uprising in many of the great clans. Criminal organizations became much more powerful. Money and firearms went much further to sway the hearts of samurai and heimin## alike. A vocal minority believe that the soul of Rokugan is being indelibly tainted and this continued course will only lead to its destruction.

Our Story begins with 6 youngsters:
    Kaiu Nisa, a brilliant engineer of the Crab who strives to over come a curse of her birth.
    Asahina Yawarakai, a crane shugenja thats burdened with a anothers sin.
    Himawari Hitomi, A sunflower maiden of the Bear Clan, an informant, paragon of virtue and personal assistant to her Daimyo^.
    Oboro Setsuna, An artisan of the Owl Clan, with courtly responsibilities and a passion for smithing will attempt to serve two lords.
    Usagi Takahiro, An "honored guest" amongst the Crane currently under the purview of Yawarakai.
    Yaskui Osuki, Arms Dealer Extraordinaire (and Despoiler of Virtue). The Golden Carp!- A wealthy merchant of the Crab.

Their story begins in The Imperial City. How this story unfolds is up to them.

*-Gunpowder
    **-Armed Pesantry in service to a Clan
    #-Spirit
    ##-Peasants
    ^-Lord
    Last edited by TJ Zen; 2017-06-25 at 10:26 AM.
    "Your knowledge cannot save you. Your magic cannot save you. Nothing can save you." -Hida Kisada

3. - Top - End - #3

GreataxeFighterGuy

The youngsters have all received letters of their coming assignments:

Spoiler: Takahiro & Yawarakai
    Show
    Spoiler: Takahiro's Letter
    Show
    Takahiro,

I hope this letter finds you well. I’ve heard you’ve made your way to Toshi Ranbo as a guest of the Crane. Your sister has told me all about the arrangement made and we’ll be happy to have you serve as a yojimbo with the Hare Delegation on the premise of working alongside the Crane to promote a lasting peace between our clans.

We will continue to work out the Details and I’ll speak to you within the week of your arrival.

In the spirit of Peace,

Usagi Mako,

Head of Hare Clan Delegation, Toshi Ranbo

The boredom you felt in this week you been traveling has been unprecedented. You've watched your captor politely settle a squabble between Daidoji children, pray at seemingly every roadside temple or shrine even heal an injured heimin. His genial nature has only been stunted when you raised his ire by trying to undermine him at every turn. But even for all your attempts, once you all arrived in Toshi Ranbo, his attitude was as pleasant and upbeat as ever. By the time you'd made it to the disgustingly lavish Crane Embassy he was positively beaming.
    Spoiler: Letter From Sanada
    Show
    Yawarakai,
    Congratulations on your recent nuptials! I pray your wife is every bit as thoughtful and caring as you are. I understand you have also received a rather unique “dowry”, but do not be discouraged.

Toshi Ranbo is a excellent place for you to make a name for yourself and carve out your destiny. I’m very proud of your accomplishments so far and know is it is only the beginning for a talented shugenja. Your newest directives have you working with Doji Okiko-san. It’s a shame, she finds herself unmarried and I thought you may have been a fine match. You’ll get to see yourself if I’m correct.

Best of luck and Carry the Fortunes,
    Asahina Sanada

Family Representative, Kyuden Doji

You make haste and in less that a weeks time, you arrive in the Imperial City. Toshi Ranbo it a massive city even larger than the town surrounding Kyuden Doji. The hustle and bustle of the workers and merchants make the city feel alive as you pass through Kurai District. You see many samurai training in the dojo or heading to their appointments as you approach the embassies from the south. The banners of you clan flowing in the early morning breeeze reveal its location as you politely make your way through to the gates. Two well-appointed but gruff Daidoji stand guard at the embassy's entrance.

"Please state you name and business, visitor."

Spoiler: Oboro Setsuna
    Show
    Spoiler: Letter from Mother
    Show
    Setsuna,

Congratulations on your first mission in Toshi Ranbo, I understand you’ll be training with an former Owl Smith while there. Exciting as that may be, Your duty is to be seen as a face for the clan in matters of court. I expect your work there to be as meticulous and precise as it would be if you were smithing a weapon. Your potential is great. Do not let your focus waver.

You’ll be meeting with Oboro Dankichi, Head of our Delegation in the Toshi Ranbo. He will guide you in all courtly manners but you will be groomed to take his position. He honestly should’ve retired years ago but his skills are too invaluable. Learn well from him.

I expect your father and I to hear only the best about you while you’re away.

Carry the Fortunes,

Orochi

3 weeks. 3 weeks of rough weather, fetid swamps, bad teas, and Lion samurai finally gave way to the walls surrounding Toshi Ranbo. You enter on the Western side of the Kurai district. The heimin children move aside as the caravan you traveled the last leg of your journey with ambles through. You able to feel the city's energy as you hear the chatter off the people. Samurai and heimin alike are conversing. The sound of steel being forged stirs the spirit but you remember your mother’s letter and disembark at the embassy of the Minor Clans. A relatively drab location comparatively but the people are anything but. You easily get past the guards a make your way inside.

Once inside a pleasant young woman greets you.
    “Good morning, Owl-san! Are you here to speak with Dankichi-sama?”

Spoiler: Yasuki Osuki
    Show
    Spoiler: Letter from Akahime
    Show
    Osuki,

I hope this letter finds you profitable. The renown of you quality armaments has reached the ears of the Imperial city and now you name is being murmured in the courts as a possible supplier of arms for Imperial guardman and Courtier alike. The craftsmanship of many simply doesn’t measure up. The Crab and Yasuki are very proud at the mention of Osuki Arms.

Also of growing renown, are the salacious rumors of your penchant for carousing, gambling, womanizing, and several other things completely unbecoming of a samurai. These rumors make it extremely difficult to promote your arms without getting side-tracked, fielding questions from other delegation about these aforementioned rumors. While I personally dont believe the quality of the man dictates the quality of the goods he sales. It’s a much easier sell if you were seen as a man of virtue instead of a despoiler of it.

I’ll see you on your visit to Toshi Ranbo. I’ve heard the Bear have sent another Sunflower to gain better understanding of the making of firearms. I pray for all our sakes she’s made of sturdier stuff than the last two.

Carry the Fortunes,

Yasuki Akahime,

Head of Crab Delegation, Toshi Ranbo

“Osuki!” Akahime calls from down a hallway in the Crab Embassy. “How have you been?! It's been quite some time since I've seen you last, cousin. Please have a seat.” She says, motioning you into her office and gesturing to the excessive pile of pillows gathered underneath a low table in the center of the room.

“Tell me, Have you met the latest maiden sent to you from the Bear? I’ve heard she is very… diligent.”

Spoiler: Himawari Hitomi
    Show
    Spoiler: Letter from Momoko
    Show
    Hitomi-chan,
    Congratulation on your newest post as my assistant. As luck would have it I have great need of someone with your temperament and purity. Your mission may take you into dangerous places with the absolute filth this world has to offer but I know that YOU will be able to handle all with the grace and righteousness that is fitting of a Sunflower Maiden.

You have already met the Yasuki Representative to help you learn the ins and outs of the Gunsmithing trade. Osuki-san is a roguish sort: handsome and charming but completely unscrupulous. Be on your guard at all times the last 2 sent on their mission asked to become courtiers after some compromising actions of theirs came to light. I’m counting on you as your Daimyo and your friend.

Carry the Fortunes,
    Himawari Momoko

Himawari Daimyo, Commander of the Sunflower Maidens
    "I hate this place." Momoko said in a growl. "There's nothing here for me. No glory to be gained in these damned courts. Just talking incessant prattle from people undeserving of our presence. The quicker we're able to receive all the intel necessary from Yasuki-san the better." By the way... How does he fare? I saw him looking particularly bored at one of productions the Crane was putting on. He seemed much more interested in one of the attendants than in the show." She beams. Anyone who is within earshot could tell how she feels when talking about him. She nearly floats at the thought of him.
    "Oh by the way," Momoko says evening her tone. "There's to be an unveiling of the newest locomotive prototype from the Kaiu for Iweko's Ascension to the throne. We shall attend. Make sure Yasuki-san attends."she says with a wicked smile

Spoiler: Kaiu Nisa
    Show
    Spoiler: Nisa's Letter
    Show
    Nisa,
    Congratulations on your newest post. Tsumasa-sama expects great things from you. Getting to work with a smith as prominent as the retired Izumo-sensei is a great honor may your destiny shine as bright as you talents!

Speaking to the Yasuki Matchmaker, it seems they’re actively looking to find a spouse that is a suitable match for one with your particular tastes. There are several suitors that are being looked into further and some even reside in Toshi Ranbo. It would be quite a gift of Benten to find your love and be matched to them.

Best of Luck and may the Fortunes guide you,
    Kaiu Denba

Representative of Crab Delegation, Toshi Ranbo
    “Nisa-chan, pry yourself from those plans for a moment. I need your youthful speed.” Kaiu Izumo says, absently scratching his chin. The old man is quickly scribbling a list. “Here. Take this list to the quartermaster back at the embassy.” He says, placing his personal chop on the parchment and handing it to you. “I would send a messenger, but I need you to make sure that list is followed to the utmost detail.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: GM
    Show
    (blinks twice slowly, pulling herself out of a growing stupor ... shakes head and whispers)

Tiresome man and his tedious pla--

(Processes Sensei's words and jumps up)

Yes, sensei, of course.

(bows)

I am glad to be of service. I shall ensure it is done to your specifications.

(Takes the list, bows again and runs out of the room heading for the embassy quartermaster with all haste grateful for the activity and distraction)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Show

(bows politely, looking over and gauging the young woman while doing so)
    Yes, but before I do so I would like to freshen up from the road. It has been a trying journey and I do not want to appear impolite to the honored Dankichi-sama by appearing so . . . disheveled.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    I am Asahina Yawarakai. This is my young friend, Usagi Takahiro. We are here to meet with Doji Okiko-san at her convenience. I believe we are to be working together.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler: GMSENSEISAMAOKUNE
    Show

Osuki smiles at his cousin and bows slightly to her. "Profitable, always profitable dear cousin, in every possible endeavor." He says while taking a seat. "I have had the opportunity to speak with Himawari-san, she is certainly quite spirited. I look forward to our continued negotiations, she has had some truly fascinating ideas."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: DM: Wataru
    Show

*After leaving the embassy grounds/eyesight, Nisa stops Wataru, pulls an extra piece of rope from the handcart, cuts it in half and ties one piece to each hand hold. She creates a loop big enough for a hand on each rope. She pulls a clean rag from her belt pouch, hands it to Wataru and then instructs him to grab one of the loops. She grabs the other.*

Now we can both pull. Sensei wanted this order sooner rather than later. Use the rag to hold the rope and it will prevent your hand from becoming injured.

*Grabs the rope hand hold without a rag and glances around again.*

Wataru, first, thank you for your assistance with Sensei's needed inventory. I am glad you were available today. It has expedited the process.

It has been a while since we were able to talk, and I have missed discussing the inner workings and benefits potential to the Chancellor's water system. Your insight into heimin duties was most helpful. Creating a system that can help everyone do better allowed me to improve an already solid design.

*pauses briefly*

I have two questions for you.

One, do you know of a artisan that is astuto... ah... practical enough to help me *cringes* embellish the design while still maintaining functionality and cost effectiveness? The Imperial Chancellor wants it to look nice. I thought about Izumo-Sensei but he is a crafter and artisan of metal more than stone.

Two, is Yasuki-sama the only one who so forc... mmm... eargerly... enjoys your company?

9. - Top - End - #9

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: Nisa-san
    Show
    Wataru bows low. "You honor me, Kaiu-sama." he says straightening up and pulling the cart. "I'm not much for the study of fine artistry but I do know a man who could be of service but i'm not sure you would appreciate his company overmuch." Wataru mentions, carefully choosing his words. "He's normally working through the night 'The quieted world makes my art come alive!'Wataru says mockingly. You can find him in the Senzai District in a blue-roofed building by the river. His name is Kakita Washo, but he prefers to be called "Kokoro."

At the mention of Akahime he visibly pales. "Akahime-sama is very nice to me. She allows me luxuries that others of my station cannot afford. Normally she's not so aggressive in front of her own clansmen, but if she finds you are a threat to my attention she becomes... protective. Its more trouble for me than her usually. especially among the other heimin, but my family is well-fed and doesn't go wanting. If that is my burden, it could truly be worse."

Spoiler: Osuki-San
    Show
    "Dearest cousin, you'll have to tell me all about her. But some other time, perhaps at the celebration for the scorpion. I have some very interesting friends I'd like you to meet there. Could be extremely... profitable for all in attendance." Akahime says coyly, a smile creeping past her On.* "Rest assured the night will be a memorable even for you cousin. Tell me, what do you know of Lands outside Rokugan?"

*-Public Persona

Spoiler: Yawaraki-san and Takahiro-kun
    Show
    After meeting with Akahime-san, Okiko spirits you both back to the Crane embassy.
    Spoiler: Courtier:Awareness-15
    Show
    She's fuming after your last 2 encounters with Akahime-san.
    Once there she leads you to your quarters. "If you have need of anything, a nearby retainer will able to help you." She says looking a Takahiro with a very eager face.
    Spoiler: Yawarakai Only
    Show

"Do the Hare even have retainers?"
    she whispers.

"Takahiro-san, you've been asked to appear at the Minor clans embassy, first light tomorrow. Mako-san has some business with you. Yawarakai-san we've been tasked to meet with Asahina Robei tomorrow for our first rites at Temple of Seven Fortunes in the Ichidou District."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You're free-ish until first light tomorrow

Spoiler: Hitomi-san
    Show
    Once you two leave the White Lotus, Momoko-sama heads Directly to the Imperial stables.
    "That's the man tasked with leading the Bear into the future!" She basically shouts, crushing the missive Rukano had given her. "He has no decorum, no sense of honor the doesn't require killing. He is exactly why the rest of the empire see us as barbarous gaijin! This is why we need to make a sterling impression during the Coronation, there'll be no more perfect time to separate ourselves from the foreigners."

After arriving at the Stables she finally looks a peace. Her,cool reserved demeanor quickly returning. She rubs behind the ears of Meiyo, her powerful ursine companion. Meiyo lets out a soft growl of appreciation and moves her head into Momoko's stomach eliciting a genuine laugh from the Daimyo.

"Hitomi-chan, take this missive and collect the materials for this scorpion gathering you and Osuki-san are attending. I expect a full report in 2 days." she says, absently brushing the ursine.
    Spoiler: Crumpled Missive
    Show
    An order from the finest seamstress in the Imperial City for 18 riding outfits. This missive is to be brought as receipt.

Spoiler: Setsuna-san
    Show
    Continuing to wander around the harbor brings you to a small set of Docks run by the Mantis Clan. Their family Mon* is on the Sails of the ships and the vests of the Men working in the yard around them. One of them seems to stand a way from the working men, carefully taking stock of all the goods moving in and out. he's occasionally raises his voice to direct the samurai where the goods are to be placed. Even in the balmy summer weather of the imperial city he wears shirt of foreign design underneath his light armor. He eyes you and waves you over.

"So your that Relic's understudy? Well at least he's got an eye for talent." he says with a grin, subtly gesturing at the pistol tucked in your obi.** Gusai Natsuru at your service!" he says with a bow. "I suppose your here for the Old man's Order?"

*-Crest
    **-belt

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: DM: Wataru
    Show

*thinks for a time*

It is unfortunate that others do not celebrate the good fortunes you find through your diligence. It shows a lack of Courtesy on their part.

I do not wish to create greater issues for you with the Yasuki. By the same token, I am concerned that your station is taken advantage of and I would help in anyway I can with this. *pause* My first consideration is that at the event tomorrow, I shall need to be more formal in my discourse with you. I apologize in advance if my interactions will be colder than normal. It is not intended to be offensive.

*switches mental gears*

Anyway, thank you for the name. Is Kakita Washo a well-known artisan - particularly in the court? I'd hope to find someone who might benefit from being part of the Imperial Chancelor's water system. I believe it to be one of the more advanced and sophisticated designs thus far. It has the potential to help a developing artisan to gain greater renown. If such a fledgling can't be found, then I will seek out Kakita Washo as you suggested.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler: GM SAMA
    Show

"I look forward to regaling you of our, ah, discussions." Osuki says with a nod. He ponders his cousin's question for a moment before finally saying. "I know that polvora originates outside of the Emerald Empire, and that they are unfamiliar with the superiority of Yasuki business practices and Osuki Arms.
    Beyond that, I admit I know little."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Show

Setsuna bows respectfully and says, "Indeed he has honorable Natsuru-san, your senses acquit you well. And I am I here for venerable Dankichi-sensei's order. " She then looks around taking in all around her being that this is her first time around so many foreign persons and items. "Is it ready?" she says to Natsuru-san.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Missive to Oboro Setsuna
    Show

*A heimin from the Izumo smithy arrives at the Fukuro D. smithy with a waterproof tube about four hours later.*

I have a message from Kaiu Nisa-san for Oboro Setsuna-san.

(When you open it, it will have a letter and multiple papers.)

Letter:

Oboro-san,

I appreciate your willingness to aid me on this project. I am a student of functionality and find that it is beneficial to have strong artisans and crafters such as yourself to help me with those aspects that give form to my function.

Enclosed you will find various scale views of the water system. One is of the entire system and the geographic path it will travel on. Others show close ups and different angles. I have not sent you the specifications on this as I have had numerous others review the math involved to verify its accuracy. If you feel that you need such details, we can meet and discuss it at length in a week from now as per Dankichi-sensei's instructions.

I have enclosed a few of my sketches of possible "beautification" as I've pondered the system and some ideas that have come to me along the way. I ask that you share all notes and sketches only with those you trust. I would prefer they not become common knowledge.

(The sketches will be mostly wavelike flourishes. One unique one has a water scene with fireworks exploding and the water reflecting those lights in a rippled way. A note says, "Perhaps the beautification could be done by area. Each one depicting scenes related to the area the water system is in?")

Thank you again for your help in this matter and your time away from the forge to help. I know that time from the fire and hammer is time greatly sacrificed.

(Kaiu's chop*)

*chop - identifying seal

14. - Top - End - #14

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: Everyone!
    Show
    Spoiler: Just Setsuna-san!
    Show
    Towards the end of the day The Harbor master rings his bell indicating the end of the work day for the laborers. You can hear the collective sigh of relief when the bell rings out over the Harbor and the Artisan District.

At the sound of the bell Dankichi rests his hammer and groans slightly as he straightens. He looks over to you and gives a knowing nod. The time to rest has come. As he begins cleaning he looks up to hear the clack of wood on stone as someone approaches. As the person comes into focus, He lets out a low grumble and returns to his work.

"What brings you here today, Natsu-kun?" He growls. You look up to see Natsuru leaning absently on one of the corner posts, Handling one of the daggers and admiring its craftsmanship.

"Luckily Oji-chan, I'm not here for you." He looks over to you and smiles. "I was told that I need your permission to escort your apprentice to a dinner this evening."

Dankichi lets out a genuine laugh that rings out in the less-crowded streets.

"She's a samurai, you have a request for her, Ask her." He says pointedly, returning to his cleaning. Natsuru straightens up and bows "Oboro-san, Care to accompany me to your first Scorpion clan dinner?"

Spoiler: Awareness or Perception 15
    Show
    At the mention of scorpion,
    Dankichi pauses for a fraction of a second and continues cleaning.

Spoiler: Choose 1
    Show
    Spoiler: Yes!
    Show
    "Excellent! We should make haste to get ready. I'll meet you outside the Minor Clan embassy." Natsuru says bowing again before leaving.

"Be careful." Dankichi says to you on your way out.
    Spoiler: No.
    Show
    "Go." Dankichi growls. "You need to learn to deal with them and the sooner the better." *Open the Yes! Box*

You arrive at the Scorpion embassy and are escorted by the largest Bayushi samurai you've ever seen to a banquet hall in the back. You senses are flooded with an array of delicious aromas.

"Welcome!" An elderly scorpion rings out as you enter the Hall. The man is easily a full head shorter than an average samurai with white hair peeking out of the sides and top of his one-eyed mask. A pleasure to meet you, I'm Soshi Katsuto. The Host for Tonight's festivities. Please enjoy yourselves. If you have need of anything while here, do not hesitate to summon for me and I shall deal with it personally. Carry the Fortunes, young ones!" He bows with a flourish and heads over to speak to the guests that arrive after you.
    Spoiler: Perception Roll (Open all that Apply)
    Show
    Spoiler: Perception 10
    Show
    No lion are present. But nearly every other clan and family is present.
    Spoiler: Perception 17
    Show
    There seem to be more Mantis,
    Crane and Crab here than anyone else. The Oriole and Owl Also have impressive numbers here relative to their size.
    Spoiler: Perception 25
    Show
    There are several High Ranking Samurai here Including the Kaiu Daimyo and his younger brother and the Crane and Scorpion Champions...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Usagi Takahiro

The Bayushi are indeed massive and my already slight build is made even more evident by these towering masses of humanity. The mandate that I surrender my daisho bothers me more than it should. I can not even keep my wakizashi. Despite my newly acquired armor, I now feel mostly naked. I feel as if I have walked into this crowd of strangers wearing only a fundoshi.

I enter the assembly and am immediately taken aback by so many of the Scorpion Clan in one place. The surprisingly jovial greeting by Soshi-san is not in keeping with my understanding of this clan. I bow to Soshi-san in acknowledgement of his offer of assistance, a statement that strikes me as odd coming from this clan. This evening becomes more confusing the more I try to think about it.

I attempt to refocus my thoughts as everything originally enters my perception as a blur.

[Perception 6...]
    Last edited by Commodore 6D4; 2017-07-18 at 08:21 PM.
    Yes, that is it exactly. You have perfectly gleaned my true intentions, well done. Have a cookie.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Osuki scans the room, smirking at the absence of... ornery company. He begins circulating amongst the crowd, keeping an eye out for his recent Mantis dalliance and his ears open for profitable opportunities.

Spoiler: ooc:
    Show

exploding dice for Way of the Carp!
    Roll 1
    roll 2
    total: (10+10+9) + (10+1) + (4) = 44 on Way Of The Carp

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Preparation Before Embassy
    Show

(This is for my benefit and because I thought about what she would do to be ready.)

*Nisa finishes her preparations for attending the Scorpion event by locking her saya (sheath) into her sensei's "special weapons" room for security. She pulls out a simple but well-crafted one she prepared for such occasions and puts her katana into it.

She pulls out her tessen (warfan) meant for court so that she will not be unarmed after checking her daisho. She slips it into the obi (belt) of her kimono. Lastly she places a sketch book and two sheets of paper into various parts of her kimono along with a piece of charcoal wrapped in paper and sealed with wax to prevent it from marking her clothing or hands as she sketches (think crayon effect). As she leaves for the Scorpion Embassy, Nisa sets all the locks.

Upon arriving, Nisa checks her daisho and continues into the great hall of the embassy.*

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

3#1d10: 3 # 8 [1d10=8] 2 [1d10=2] 10 [1d10=10] = 20
    1#1d10: 1 # 1 [1d10=1] = 1
    Total: 21

*She notes the lack of Lion and the unusual number of Owl and Oriole. Thinks to herself* Where is Akahime that I might avoid her? I wonder if Wataru is here already and in her company. *scans the room* With so many Owl and Oriole, there will be plenty of opportunity for interesting conversation, though I wonder why there are so many smiths and crafters present at a Scorpion gathering.

*smiles with a sudden memory* This is like the Merenae fiesta de mascaras (masquerade) we attended. *chuckles* Only then Kaiu Togoku said he felt unnerved as it was like being surrounded by a room full of Scorpion. How unsettled he would be if he were here now!

*Scans the room for anomalies other than the absence of Lion. Filters out the Crab in armor as this is more comforting than surprising, notes the guards and considers that they are rather few. Thinks wryly* But then who knows how many hidden securities might be in place. It is the Scorpion.

*Notices something out-of-place* An Usagi wearing... odd-looking heavy armor!? Oh blast the Hida height, I can't see clearly. Why in the name of the Fortunes would an Usagi be here in heavy armor and who made it? It didn't look right.

*Begins weaving her way toward where she thought she saw the Usagi to get a closer look while still trying to avoid crossing paths or eye gaze with Akahime. Her curiosity is piqued and Wataru will have to wait for the time being.*

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Anyone Near Usagi-san
    Show

(Nisa is attempting to be circumspect in her observations and sketches so as to not draw attention from anyone in the area or the Usagi she is focused on.)

*Nisa locates the Hare in armor but does not approach him. She looks around trying to ascertain why he would be wearing armor to this affair and why it would be heavy armor which would limit the mobility Hare are known for.

She hovers nearby for a few minutes (she is trying to avoid being noticed by the Yasuki still). Nisa observes no obvious limp or other impairment that would suggest the Usagi's movement was already impaired in such a way that the heavy armor limitations were negligible.*

(Let me know if there are any obvious environmental reasons for him to be wearing armor and not a kimono - i.e. is he obviously doing yojimbo duty of some kind?)

*thinks* He really should be in light armor or a kimono for this affair.

*She shakes her head gently and pulls out her sketch book. She begins to sketch the armor with notes on size and thickness estimates based on the Usagi's stature, posture, etc. She is attempting to be circumspect in her observations and sketches so as to not draw attention to herself by anyone in the area including the Usagi.*

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I walk in smiling happily at the warm welcome. Smelling the delicious food, I take some samples of the various dishes and look for someone such as a shugenja to speak with.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

Results 2#1d10: 2 # 4 [1d10=4] 7 [1d10=7] = 11

Last edited by Kadja; 2017-07-19 at 10:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Spoiler: Kaiu Nisa
    Show

*sends return missive that same night before the party*
    Thank you Kaiu-san for the notes and blueprints I will look forward to reviewing them and collaborating with you on this interesting endeavor. I was looking forward to reviewing it all tonight however it seems that life in Toshi Ranbo is much more . . . active than I'd like. Regardless I look forward to our joint venture beginning in a week's time. Until then may your crafts prosper and bring you much honor.

Spoiler: GM (1st Perception Roll)
    Show

Perception Investigation: 5d10o10k3 34

Spoiler: GM (Pre-party preparations)
    Show

((Just so you know I chose no before being forced into yes))
    *returns to the baths to freshen up for the party*
    *dresses in her courtier party attire being sure to carry a small knife tucked in one of the easily accessible fabric rolls*
    *makes her way to meet Natsuru-san at the minor clan embassy*

Spoiler: GM (2nd Perception Roll)
    Show

Perception Investigation: 5d10o10k3 20

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

*Silently Curses the gods, the kami, and herself for the lateness of the hour*
    Preparations had taken longer than she'd anticipated.
    'I need to manage my time better, as it is not my own. I do not need Momoko upset at me in public as well as private.' Hitomi thinks as she quickly nears the Scorpion Hall.
    Slowing her pace and smoothing out her clothes to collect composure, she enters and greets their host for the evening.

Hitomi smiles pleasantly at the Bayushis apparent enthusiasm and bows slightly. Once in the hall proper, she scans for the now (unfortunately) familiar form of the Osuki. Spotting him oozing about the room, she sets upon an inconspicuous path to intercept him, keeping one eye out for a familiar (and much more welcome) Mask.
    'For the good of the clan. For the GOOD of the clan. For. The. Good. Of. The. Clan.' She repeats to herself.

"Osuki-san" Hitomi greets the merchant with the warmest most open smile she can muster, upon successfully catching up to him. "I hope I am not interrupting you in anything."
    Hitomi leans closer while looking away, as if noticing something interesting across the room. She adds in lower, more intimate tones "I had hoped my invitation had reached you in time that we might have arrived together."

Spoiler: GM and Osuki
    Show
    I'm very sorry if this isn't right. I got confused about the events somehow, and thought the invitation was for the coronation not this event....but now I somehow think I was wrong. If the invitation was supposed to be for tonight let that last statement stay, if it was for the coronation just disregard it. Sorry again.

Spoiler: GM Perception Result
    Show
    Perception Roll : 24 (sooo close!)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

(This is copied and pasted from Messenger. I have added some lines of description to note what a casual observer would notice.The Orokos links have a space so as to make them not a link. Remove it and you can see the results.)

(added) *The Kaiu is absorbed by something that is neither person nor food. She looks up from time to time glancing at the same area.*

Spoiler: GM-sama and Others near Kaiu's Position if Paying Attention
    Show

NISA:
    *She begins to sketch the armor with notes on size and thickness estimates based on the Usagi's stature, posture, etc. She is attempting to be circumspect in her observations and sketches so as to not draw attention to herself by anyone in the area including the Usagi.*

Agility - to avoid drawing attention to her sketching: http: //orokos.com/roll/535504

Armor sketching roll:
    http: //orokos.com/roll/535502
    Result 24 w/ explosion
    http: //orokos.com/roll/535503
    Result 5
    Total: 29 (At least her voyeurism is pretty)

(added) *The Usagi scans the room. He focuses on one spot, pauses, bows slightly, and then proceeds in that direction.*

Show

TAKAHIRO:
    *Scans the room, letting his mind finally focus after the abnormal introduction to the evening. His eyes catch the one other guest in the room who does not appear to be engaged in frivolity, or political machinations. A lady in the noticeable colors and mon of the venerable Crab clan. What is she doing? Is she drawing?*

http: //orokos.com/roll/535506
    http: //orokos.com/roll/535508
    24 Perception

NISA:
    *Looks up from her sketch and realizes the Usagi has seen her. Mutters.*
    Con~o.
    (I am told by Max this is a word of frustration in Spain with no real meaning... though online some say it is a vulgarity. He disagrees. I'm taking his word for it.)

*Bows slightly* (In a way that would be respectful and acknowledging that she has been caught.)

TAKAHIRO:
    *Returns the slight bow, not shifting his gaze. After a moment he starts working his way through the teeming mass of noble humanity towards the Crab*

NISA:
    *Debating on what to do, Nisa waits for the Hare. She is not prone to running and as she was not skilled enough to avoid observation, it is highly unlikely that she can further hide in the crowd.*

*She makes some notes on his movement and stride while he comes over.*

TAKAHIRO:
    *Approaches, only slightly awkwardly, within conversational earshot*
    Good evening, Kaiu-san.

NISA:
    Usagi-san, good evening. I fear you have caught me observing your unusual armor. I did not mean to disturb you or make you uncomfortable, but I have not seen anything like it before.

*She will show him her sketches so as to prove that this was her intent. The "man" in the armor is faceless. She is grateful now that she did not decide to sketch in his details.*

TAKAHIRO:
    I assure you, it was no disturbance. And I am sure that I am none too inconspicuous.
    *Studies the sketch intently*

I must say, Kaiu-san, that is a very impressive rendering

NISA:
    *She gives a small smile and bow* Thank you Usagi-san. May I ask, did your family create this armor? It is not characteristic of members of your clan.

TAKAHIRO:
    It is my pleasure. And you are quite correct. Also no, the Hare can not claim any connection to this armor aside from having me inside of it. Circumstance and fortune can claim all of the credit for my introduction to the smith.

NISA:
    *Tilts head slightly* Smith?

TAKAHIRO:
    The creator of this fine, and admittedly awkward, armor.

NISA:
    (The smile is in her eyes - it's the best way I can think to describe her expression.)

Yes, of course. But I have not seen any smith produce its like. Did you acquire it here?

TAKAHIRO:
    Yes. Well, not here specifically, of course. But within this city.

NISA:
    *An appraising look at the metal and form again*

TAKAHIRO:
    I believe that an introduction could be made at some point. I am not sure, as of yet, when I will be seeing the smith again.

NISA:
    Armorsmithing based on what the Usagi has said to ascertain the smith:
    http: //orokos.com/roll/535540
    23 and has an explosion
    http: //orokos.com/roll/535542
    explosion 6
    Total: 29

*Murmuring to self* It is not Izumo-sensei ... *Looks at the Usagi* May I ask, what is this dent?

TAKAHIRO:
    *Looks down at the dent from the ball*
    The results of a test the smith conducted. Much to my surprise and elevated anxiety.

NISA:
    *Murmuring again.* Excellent work. Clearly an impact point most likely not due to an arrow... musket ball?

*Looks up at the Usagi, for the first time recognizing his height.* The test... was done with a firearm? *Her tone indicates she believes his answer will be yes.*

TAKAHIRO:
    Yes, I believe that is what he called it. I am not familiar, or comfortable, with those kinds of weapons.

(added) *Usagi-san reaches the Kaiu who has been looking from his approaching figure to something in her hand. They begin to converse and Kaiu-san shows the Usagi something. He studies it and they talk some more. The Kaiu smiles, bows slightly, and the conversation continues. She points at the Usagi's armor and studies it several more times.*
    Last edited by Ag_Corax; 2017-07-31 at 10:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

*Setsuna gracefully enters the room and scans its attendants. Spotting other Owl members she navigates herself in their direction and engages them in conversation attempting to get more information about the purpose of tonight's festivities.*

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

(this is a continuation from the previous post's conversation.)

(added) *The conversation between the two continues as they move toward a sampling of food. The Kaiu seems to still be scanning the crowd on the way. They stop and she gets some shashimi and shishamo while still talking to the Usagi.*

Show

NISA:

Interesting. *pauses to think and five possible names come to mind.* Usagi-san, might I ask why you were chosen to test this armor? I ask only because I know that the Hare clan is known for being the quickest of warriors and this armor's weight would serve as a restriction to such a fighting style.

TAKAHIRO:
    It was not my personal decision. Like many choices in my existence. However, I shall adapt and overcome for now.

NISA:
    *nods, assuming he either doesn't know why or doesn't care to tell* Yes, that does seem to be the case quite often, does it not?

Do you have any duties at the moment? If not, could I invite you to grab a bite if you've not eaten? Who knows, my presence might even keep you from being approached by others among the numerous crafters, smiths, and artisans who seem to be in attendance tonight. I fear if they catch onto the uniqueness of your attire, you may be swarmed.

TAKAHIRO:
    Duties...yes, somewhat. I am somewhat free, however, As long as we stay with the local confines

NISA:
    Excellent! *begins to head toward food, still watching for Akahime* So, what have you seen of the city so far?

TAKAHIRO:
    *Follows the Kaiu*
    Not as much as I would like, honestly, but quite a bit

NISA:
    Do you find architecture interesting?

TAKAHIRO:
    Only in which way that stagnation can be fluid.

NISA:
    *struggles to suppress a grin* I see, well, then I shall not tell you about the architecturally interesting aspects of the city.

Then tell me of your clan, what are the Hare known for besides their quick wit and quicker swordmanship?

TAKAHIRO:
    Why not?
    Stagnation is speed, in a different manner.
    Sometimes speed is indiscernible from gradual advance

NISA:
    *twinkling eyes* Ah... it becomes more apparent why you were chosen to advance in this armor then. Though you make a valuable point. Water behind a dam holds within it a mighty and powerful speed.

TAKAHIRO:
    Indeed, Kaiu-san.
    The build and release of pressure is a trait which has become known to me in my recent experiences

NISA:
    *continues walking, looking around, as a thoughtful look crosses her face, followed by a gentle sadness* Yes, recent events within the Hare family have led to many such moments.

*realizing her thoughts are not in line with the surroundings* Now tell me, Usagi-san is there a particular part of Toshi Ranbo you would most like to see or an interest you would most like to pursue?

TAKAHIRO:
    *sighs*
    Only that which my path carries me the through

NISA:
    *takes a sampling of some shashimi and shishamo* What delegation are you here with, if any?