New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Bink's Rise of the Runelords 2: Delving Thistletop and beyond!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ladies and Gents, it's been about a year and a half, but we have made it! You've defended the city of Sandpoint from a sudden Goblin raid- during an annual celebration, no less! You've ingratiated yourself amongst the locals, earning both their trust and aid. You've discovered the gruesome truth of family Kaijitsu, bringing the late patron and his conniving son's plots to light. Finally, you've ventured to the very lair of your foe herself, the mystical site of Thistletop!

Here begins the second installment of Bink's Rise of the Runelords. Right smack dab in the middle of Thistletop, we've reached the end of the forum-mandated 50 page limit! As such: ROUND TWO!

The cavernous depths of Thistletop open beneath you like a stony maw. The semi-horrific sights and sounds of Bugbear fornication assault your senses while Cade describes the tentacled monster which guards the sea. Somewhere, beneath your feet, Nualia awaits- scheming the destruction of the town some of you call home.

The darkness awaits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords 2: Delving Thistletop and beyond!

"... and so, not desiring to have my limbs ripped rather painfully from by body, I find myself once more in your company." Cade concludes his thankfully short diatribe with not a little bit of irritation. The need for scouting did not match that of haste, as he had suspected. He stands at the base of the stairs, lantern and rapid in hand, as he glances towards the door from which the sounds of Bruthazmus and the goblin mates now emanate.

"We should not squander any more of our time - we've precious little left to waste, before Thistletop's occupants mount an organized defence. If we can surprise the bugbear, we might have a chance of dispatching the rest quietly. Or - as I have already suggested - we could very well capture him. Any objections? Or shall we begin?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-06-24 at 08:48 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr listened quietly to Cade's report, having already given his own findings. It seemed that there was little chance of being surprised if they ambushed the bugbear ... and he said as much. "We may not have a better opportunity to rid Nualia of her support and this area of a menace as we do right now. I would agree we must act swiftly and decisively. What preparations do we require to ensure victory?"

Show
    Vintr is ready to go and agrees - strike while the bugbear's pants are down!

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 22 HPs: 17 Init: +8
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Perception +8, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +9; Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    Spells: comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, read magic
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / doom, protection from evil, shield of faith
    Blessings 4/4; Fervor 2/3; Arcane Pool 1/2
    Add'l Effects: mage armor (+4 AC; 1hr)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The retired knight

"I don't like it. I'd rather we secured a retreat route first. However, the bugbear's business can't go on forever and he is a strong foe. Maybe my doubts are just those of an old geezer." Niccomo smiles, "Young ones know better how to be bold. Alright, let's go after Bruthazmus."

"However, I'm too clanky in that armor. You'd better spring the ambush. Then I'll catch up."

Show
    Niccomo's stealth is poop. I propose he waits one or two moves away from the door to Bruth's room, other, sneakier party member engage with a suprise round.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Yen stays quiet. Her face is a mess of emotions as the party discusses what to do. At the suggestion of taking on the bugbear, she lets her shoulders visibly relax while breathing out a sigh.

The witch nods, and then prepares to follow.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

"These types of songs aren't my favourite. You know, the ones where the heroes win by guile and cunning? I'm just not fond of the trickster type of protagonist."

She couldn't help it; Elicaryn was a romantic. And whatever Niccomo said, she didn't see much 'boldness' or romance in attacking a goblin with it's pants down.

"...but fine. Then I agree with Caedus; we should try and capture him rather than just kill him."
    Last edited by Quiver; 2017-06-28 at 03:17 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr stood a the door, waiting for the others. They had discussed trying to capture the bugbear, a task for which he might be best suited to. He had called upon the protection of his goddess, and now was ready to take the fight to the goblins. He waited for Yen to open the door, as she was the most likely to hang behind.

Spoiler: Surprise Round
    Show
    So casting shield of faith before exiting the staircase. Will use a blessing as a standard action prior to Yen opening the door. On our surprise round, Vintr will follow Ely in (unless the plan changes to wait outside, then he'll stay outside where he can fight with the others).

Spoiler: Readied attack only
    Show
    So for a readied action to step and attack the bugbear w/unarmed strike (non-lethal) and chaos-aligned: Attack - (1d20+6)[8], Dam - (1d6+1)[6]+Chaos - (1d6)[1]

Spoiler: Draw them out
    Show
    Prepare to cast Doom on bugbear after Yen hexes him ... Will vs DC 13 or shaken. As you can see, this can really use some Yen hexation first. If she's casting something else first, then hold the attack from above

Show
    AC: 22 HPs: 24 Init: +8
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Perception +8, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +9; Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / doom, protection from evil, shield of faith
    Blessings 4/4; Fervor 2/3; Arcane Pool 1/2
    Add'l Effects: mage armor (+4 AC [armor]; 1hr)shield of faith (+2 AC [def], 17 rnds), chaos blessing (+1d6 dam, chaos aligned, 9 rounds)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-06-28 at 04:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The retired knight

Niccomo felt his guts churning, as he waited away from Vintr and the door, lest he risks warning their prey.

Show
    I'll give a more precise position when I can access the map. Wait between one and two moves (4 and 8 squares) away from the door. Use surprise round action to close in.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #9

Niccomo was probably right about his armor; the goblins -engaged as they were- might still notice the clink and clank and grind of metal on metal, however softly he trod.

She looped a finger through one of the loops on her shirt, then let it fall. It rustled softly against her. It was certainly quieter than Niccomo's armor would be. And elves were naturally light on their feet anyway.

She waited a moment, and when the door opened, stepped inside, whipping out with the scarf.

Spoiler
    Show
    So...yeah, gonna enter the room and attack. I have two posts worth of attacks I believe? So... enter the room and attack with the bladed scarf. Non-lethal means minus 4 for the atatck roll, but I thought the +4 damage would make up for it...

Attack Bugbear [non-lethal] (1d20+1)[14]
    Critical Confirm (1d20+1)[3]
    Damage (1d6+4)[8]
    Critical Damage (1d6+4)[7]

Attacks of Opportunity
    Attack [non-lethal] (1d20+1)[18]
    Critical Confirm (1d20+1)[6]
    Damage (1d6+4)[9]

Attack [non-lethal] (1d20+1)[7]
    Critical Confirm (1d20+1)[9]
    Damage (1d6+4)[5]
    Critical Damage (1d6+4)[9]

Attack [non-lethal] (1d20+1)[6]
    Critical Confirm (1d20+1)[21]
    Damage (1d6+4)[10]
    Critical Damage (1d6+4)[6]

Spoiler
    Show
    Elicaryn
    Female Lawful Good Half-elf Paladin/Oracle , Level 3, Init 5, HP 20/20, Speed 20
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus +2
    Two-handed, Brace, Reach, Mounted opponent -2 penalty on Ride check Glaive-Guisarme +5 (1d10+4, x3)
    Two-handed, Reach, Can be used on adjacent enemies, Trip, 1d4 slashing damage agaisnt successful grapples Bladed Scarf +5 (1d6+4, 19-20/x2)
    Masterwork, Disarm, Reach Ranseur +6 (2d4, x3)
    Don or remove as a move action Armored coat, Light armor Chair Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 14
    Condition None
    [/spoiler]
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing Ely go for the door, Cade is not far behind. Seeing as he is the one who's been pushing a quick resolution, he might as well share in the risk of the proposition. His rapier is out and ready, moving forward to try and position himself for a strike at Bruthazmus. If we can keep him within range of our blades, the bugbear will be hard-pressed to harm himself without opening himself up to significant injury.

Spoiler: Surprise Round Actions
    Show
    Cade is simply going to move as close as he can into the room to Bruthazmus. If he or the goblin wives threaten Cade are within immediate reach of a weapon, then he will use a point of Panache to Opportune Parry and Riposte against them (Bruthazmus first, wives second). If not, then ignore the below rolls.

Parry and Riposte: (1d20+7)[25] and (1d20+7)[22] for (1d6+3)[8] damage (crit confirm: (1d20+7)[25]

Spoiler: Cade, Surprise Round
    Show
    Caedus 'Cade' Rhineheart
    Male Chaotic Neutral Human Empiricist / Inspired Blade, Level 3, Init 3, HP 8/23, DR -, Speed 30 ft
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 8, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Masterwork Rapier +7 (1d6+3, 18-20x2)
    Shortbow +5 (1d6, x3)
    Dagger +5 (1d4, 19-20x2)
    Masterwork Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Deflection)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition None
    Extracts Prepared long arm (0) reduce person (1), shield (1)
    Inspiration 5/5
    Inspired Panache 5/5
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

As the door opens, Bruthazmus lets out a bark- clearly laughter. "What, you want a-" his eyes fall on Yen, the opener of the door, and go flat. As Vintr steps into the room, his expression shifts to one of pure, unbridled rage. Before he can move, however, the party is upon him. Unfortunately, for all their preparation, only Vintr and Elicaryn get themselves in position to attack. Even so, as they enter the room, Yen's oppressive glare falls upon the bugbear. He shudders violently as he unconsciously lowers his guard- a mistake likely to cost him.

Vintr lashes out with his fist, unable to score a serious blow thanks to Bruthazmus' thick hide. However, Elicaryn's scarf has no such trouble. Her first slash scores his bare torso. Though the second swing misses, the bugbear roars angrily. In a fit of rage, Bruthazmus responds.

From where it leans on the wall behind the bed, Bruthazmus grabs his flail, opening himself to another volley of attacks. With slightly more attention from the bugbear, it seems Vintr's fist will be narrowly avoided. However, Yen's magic once again courses through the bugbear, slowing his reflexes, and causing the monk's strike to be true. Cade's rapier and Elicaryn's scarf are not even a question. Severely injured, Bruthazmus none the less turns his flail on Vintr. While both Goblins likewise attack the monk, their short pitted blades are easily avoided. The flail, however, crashes into Vintr's chest with a decidedly unpleasant thud (Vintr takes 16 damage). Overcome by his injuries, the hulk falls unconscious, bleeding profusely.

Show
    I had Yen use the evil eye hex to drop Bruthazmus' AC. It turns out to be just enough for Vintr's AoO to connect, and dropping him to 0 HP. Regardless, he hates Elves, and delivered a solid blow, the standard action putting him to -1 HP and dying. The Goblins are all armed, but pitiful.

Map updated

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"Case in point," Cade says to himself in an awfully self-satisfied tone as Bruthazmus topples. His smirk is in full force now, as his choice of tactics seems to have been vindicated by how quickly the bugbear was dealt with. "Somebody stabilize him, please. The elf and I have a few goblin women to neutralize. That is, assuming you can stand, Vintr?"

Not waiting for an answer, Cade's sword blade flicks out towards the nearest target, in anticipation of the quiet that will come when their enemies lie at their feet.

Spoiler: Round 1 Actions
    Show
    Let's do this! Another attack coming their way, let's say to goblin wife number 3.

Attack (vs. G3): (1d20+7)[23] for (1d6+3)[4] damage (crit confirm: (1d20+7)[9])

Spoiler: Cade, Round 1
    Show
    Caedus 'Cade' Rhineheart
    Male Chaotic Neutral Human Empiricist / Inspired Blade, Level 3, Init 3, HP 8/23, DR -, Speed 30 ft
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 8, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Masterwork Rapier +7 (1d6+3, 18-20x2)
    Shortbow +5 (1d6, x3)
    Dagger +5 (1d4, 19-20x2)
    Masterwork Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Deflection)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition None
    Extracts Prepared long arm (0) reduce person (1), shield (1)
    Inspiration 5/5
    Inspired Panache 4/5
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The retired knight

Niccomo grits his teeth as his comrades-in-arm storm the room. He cannot help but whisper "yes" as he witnesses the bugbear's fall.

He moves forward to guard the back. Yet, he keeps an eye on the melee, ready to barge in.

Spoiler: Actions, round 1
    Show
    Niccomo is holding his polearm.
    Nothing much to do, here.
    Move action: into U20.
    Standard action: ready a move into U22 if Vintr falls or moves out of the square.
    AoO against any enemy moving around Niccomo, but it seems unlikely enough that I won't bother rolling them : P
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2017-07-08 at 04:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"He'll be fine..." When says as she begins to weave a small black circle into the air. The shadow spins and lands on the bugbear. The shadow penetrates his wounds and immediately the bleeding stops.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Cast Stabilize
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr silently berated himself for missing the bugbear - surprised, unarmored and unarmed, it should have been an easy target. Once again overconfidence would be his downfall. The lesson was made abundantly clear when the beast smashed its flail into Vintr's chest, breaking more than a couple of ribs. Gasping, the monk's only consolation was the beast fell, overcome by its wounds.

Staggering, the ascetic reached down to touch his chest, healing powers flowing

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    Swift action to use fervor to spontaneously cast CLW (losing doom) (1d8+3)[9]; then flurry of blows vs GoblinGirls 3&4. Better to kill one than damage both ...
    Attack 1 - (1d20+6)[19], Dam - (1d6+1)[4]+Chaos - (1d6)[6]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+6)[24], Dam - (1d6+1)[4]+Chaos - (1d6)[3]

Show
    AC: 22 HPs: 10/17 Init: +8
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Blessings 4/4; Fervor 1/3; Arcane Pool 1/2
    Add'l Effects: mage armor (+4 AC [armor], 1hr); shield of faith (+2 AC [def], 16 rnds), chaos blessing (+1d6 dam, chaos aligned, 8 rounds)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-07-08 at 09:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

"Yes!" Ely's reaction was less restrained that the knight's, a grin flashing across her features. The grin froze, color draining from her cheeks, at the sight - and the sound- of the bugbears weapon striking the monk.

Vintr remained standing though, and he was well enough to lash out another set of attacks at the nearest goblins, the women who had been-

...well, anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    So... just attacking again. Attack whichever one has less health.

Attack (1d20+5)[11]
    Critical (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage (1d6+4)[10]
    Critical Damage (1d6+4)[5]

Attacks of Opportunity
    Attack (1d20+5)[24]
    Critical (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage (1d6+4)[5]

Attack (1d20+5)[14]
    Critical (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage (1d6+4)[9]
    Critical Damage (1d6+4)[5]

Attack (1d20+5)[16]
    Critical (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage (1d6+4)[6]

Spoiler
    Show
    No status changes from last post
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Cade lashes out with undeniable efficacy, only the precursor to the rest of the party's brutal rebuttal. Within the space of a few heartbeats, Vintr and Elicaryn have assisted in causing two of the Goblins to fall unconscious to a pair of injuries each. A third struggles to stand, bleeding profusely from where Elicaryn's scarf drew blood as she stepped forward, and the fourth is making a deliberate effort to learn from her companion's mistakes.

With a muted clank, the blades of the two living and conscious Goblin woman clatter to the ground. Squeals of terror and surrender fill the air as they beg for mercy. <No kill! Just women!>

End of combat

Show
    Wive 3 and 4 were dropped and are dying. Wife 2 took a serious AoO from Elicaryn in her (foolish) attempt to close the gap, and wife 1 has decided that living for more than 6 more seconds is an appealing thought. Bruthazmus is stable, but remains unconscious- for now.

18. - Top - End - #18

More strikes, and good ones from the looks of it. Two of the goblins were unconscious, one could barely stand. Even with the awkward coordination in the "bedroom", the adventurers ought to have the situation in hand. She pulled the scarf back towards herself, twisting it in preparation to lash out again...

When the two goblins dropped their weapons and began to squeal.

Ely blinked, and lost her balance.
    'What?' That was unexpected. She blinked again, frowning. What were they doing?

Caedus and Yen could probably answer that; they seemed to understand goblin tongue well enough. They could probably say if the goblins were howling for reinforcements or alerting the fortress.

Ely doubted it though. If they were so suicidal as to shout a warning to their allies, why wouldn't they take a swing at the party? They could have gotten lucky. Maybe they were planning on buying time until they arrived? But...

They didn't look like they were scheming. They looked like they were terrified. A pair of terrified, quivering women.

Was... was I about to kill them? The thought struck her suddenly. For being goblins?

Yes. Absolutely. The memory of the glass works, the capering and butchering, was still too fresh to ignore. How many goblins had the group killed, then, before, since? Why did being in a state of undress, of being female, make the goblins in the bedchamber any different?

It didn't. There was no great difference between the goblins in the glassworks and the ones in front of them, except that these ones had surrendered.

That answer was less satisfying -and far less reassuring- than she had hoped it would be.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Yen rolls her eyes as their blades roll on the ground.

<I'm sure.>

"They are surrendering now that they lost. We should at least pump them for information. I'm not sure mercy is in their vocabulary though..." she tilts her head "I mean that literally. I do not think their is a goblin word for 'mercy'"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    If someone decides to intimidate them for information
    Intimidate - (1d20+10)[13] -> or aid another
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"<Very well,>" Cade replies evenly in the same tongue, his blade still unsheathed and covered in the blood of their kin. He steps languidly over the still-breathing body of Bruthazmus, in order to come face to face with both of the goblin women. The investigator leans in close, allowing his endless blue eyes to stare into their own. When he opens his mouth, the words come out like a drumbeat: quick and precise, following a distinct but offbeat rhythm.

"<You surrender. Excellent. Thankfully, we aren't in the business of killing hostages. Or we aren't anymore, anyways. There was that one time, with Tsuto, when a couple of us tried to... but I digress. There are some questions - pressing questions - that I need answered. Immediately. Before we arrived, you were in the midst of sexual congress with the bugbear, is that correct? Is pan-goblinoid coupling a regular occurrence among the Nettlewood tribes? Have you heard of it happening before? If so, who, where, how, and when?>" He pauses momentarily, to catch a breath, and then continues apace. "<Have any of you been showing signs of irregularities recently, any signs of gestating an offspring? Have any of you given birth to a non-goblin child? What was the median duration of a specimen such as Bruthazmus here? Did he have a favorite position? Did he favor any of you in particular, and if so, why do you believe that is? I assure you, your answers will go towards a greater understanding of the goblin race, so that we may better kill you in the future.>"

A little grin crosses Cade's features as he pulls out his notebook without even looking down, still not entirely certain if he himself is joking about the questions. He's made sure to drop Tsuto and Bruthazmus' names in there, perhaps that will be enough to get them to spill what they know without him, Yen, or the badly wounded Vintr put on a show. He can't speak for the elf or the witch, but he's terrible at that sort of thing anyhow.

Show
    I'm... not sure if you want me to roll a check. He's sort of just fishing at this point, to see what they might know if he drops some names. He isn't lying, nor is he trying to scare them. It's not really persuasion, either - he is trying to engineer a reaction of sorts, but I don't think Diplomacy applies. I'll roll a basic Charisma check, if you like (although I maintain that Empiricist should let me sub this out for Int ).

Charisma: (1d20-2)[3]

Edit: yeah, nope! Let's hope that I don't actually need that check!
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-11 at 10:05 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Yen's typically sour demeanor draws timorous expressions from the two conscious Goblin women. They nod vigorously to encourage belief of their surrender, all the while gesturing with wide-spread hands that they aren't a threat. As Cade begins his sexually-motivated line of questions, they fade from fear to confusion. In apparent eagerness to appease their captors, the two women chatter and squeal over one another, resulting in responses that are decidedly difficult to interpret- even with knowledge of their native tongue:

<irregularities? Offspring?!- Ripnugget has been- We do what we want!- mostly ignoring Bruthazmus so big and strong! I'm his favorite!- I'm his fave- I know how to->

Before long, the surrender devolves into infighting, as the two women bicker in high-pitched voices over who is Bruthazmus' more prized conquest.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With the forces defeated, Vintr ceased his attacks upon receiving the surrender. However, at Cade's line of questioning, he frowned in confusion. Confusion turned into surp; surprise into discomfort. Soon the room was filled vigorous boasting of who was the beater conquest, which led to a swift and sharp hiss of "Silence!"

Glaring at the goblin women and the investigator, he shook his head. "Perhaps a better set of questions for these women would include where is Nualia? How many more forces are below ground here? What is in the two rooms next to this one?

Or similar type questions ... "

Show
    I figure we'll search the room shortly after we finish questioning the females and tying them up.

Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Add'l Effects: mage armor (+4 AC [armor], 1hr); shield of faith (+2 AC [def], 16 rnds), chaos blessing (+1d6 dam, chaos aligned, 8 rounds)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

A swirl of shadows begins to unfold itself from Yen's hands.

"I'd look away..." is all she says before the shadows begin to dance around herself and the two goblin women. Anyone who does not avert their eyes is greeted with a grotesque sight as the witch's features elongate, darken, and become quite grotesque. The shadows creep around the goblin women and attempt to hold their attention on the witch as Yen begins to speak.

Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show

(1d20+10)[26]

Yen's voice changes. It seems to pick at your spine with a knife as she talks.
    <Now. We will play a game called "Who gets to live?" The one who gives me the most accurate information the fastest wins.> Yen smiles. Her teeth have become pearly white fangs, not unlike that of a large predatory cat.

<There is a woman here. Human looking, but not quite. She may have strange growths on her, or hideous scars.
    Where is she? What other goblins or defenses are here besides the bugbear? Has any goblin woman had a non-goblin child?
    >
    Last edited by Untarr; 2017-07-16 at 10:08 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Accepting the glare with a little smile, Cade puts up his hands in mock surrender. "I happen to believe in the scientific method, monk. Have you never heard of a control question before?" He stands back and lets Yen take point on the investigation, however, recognizing her superior ability to unnerve their new captives.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The two Goblins are quickly subdued by Vintr's harsh rebuke. They eye him warily, recognizing the attitude behind the tone more than the meaning in the words, but make no comment as he addresses Cade.

Yen's sudden intervention, however, (spoken in their own tongue) inspires a surprisingly different outcome. In an unrecognizable outburst of sounds, both women attempt to appease Yen at the same time, loudly, and with totally different words. A few moments later, the witch is able to coerce them into speaking one at a time, though still they remain apparently incapable of interjecting with additional commentary as the other talks.

<That b!tch Nualia?- She's the reason Ripnugget won't pay attention to us anymore! *nods vigorously* Her arm is all janky-looking-No other Goblins, just Bruthazmus, Chieftain Ripnugget and the Thistletop tribe! *glaring at one another* No way any self-respecting Goblin would lie with her! Goblins only have more Goblins!>

Before long, Yen gets to translating Vintr's questions as well, which the women appear to answer to the best of their abilities. <Nualia sleeps that way! *pointing* Other nasty longshankses down the hall!>

Map updated
    Show
    I included directions indicated by the Goblins' pointing.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"See, now they're responding well enough to - " The investigator stops when Ripnugget's goblin wives mention other longshanks. He immediately stops what he is doing, shoving himself next to Yen. These matrons have proven that they're not in the business of lying, and he trusts his observational skill to read their micro expressions if they try to lie.

<"These longshanks, describe them all. What are their names? How many are there? What kinds of equipment and abilities do they have? Where are they quartered? Are they loyal to Nualia, or do you think there's a chance we can persuade them to our cause? Speak quickly."> As he speaks, Cade's notebook and pen make a resurgence, ready to take notes should anyone on his team forget the details.

Show
    I'm just going to make a Sense Motive check to see if the goblin wives are trying to lie, or just generally look for a hunch that they're behaving out of character.

Sense Motive: (1d20+12)[16]
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The retired knight

Niccomo's seen enough people shook and begging for their lives. He sighs with relief as the female goblins drop their weapons. As others go on interrogating them, he uses the haft of his guisarme to drag their dropped weapons out of the small room. Once reassured they're disarmed, he leaves his polearm outside the room and the goblins reach, takes a dagger in hand, and moves inside the room. He kneels next to the fallen bugbear and inspects him. He rolls the bugbear on his belly to put manacles to his wrists. He then tears through the bedding, first for a gag he puts inside the bugbear's mouth, then for bandages used to aid their enemy as best as possible.

Niccomo does his best to not sigh in despair at his comrades' bickering or at Vintr's interjection. His best is not enough, and he even shakes his head disapprovingly as they do everything to make this ordeal even more confusing. "Heavens."

"We can ask that one when he wakes up and check if whatever those two said is truthful. We'd better get him upstairs though, don't figure he'll be in a talking mood when that gran'pa nap is over."

Show
    First, take as much actions as needed to remove non-attended weapons out of the room.

Then, move to Bruthazmus. I know he's stabilized, but Niccomo would still want to inspect him. So manacles and gag first, then a heal check to patch him up (don't believe it's required, but I'm not DM here) Heal - (1d20+1)[8].

Then, taking 20 on Perception to search the bugbear, giving us a 27.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

As Cade makes his interjections, the Goblins stammer into silence for perhaps the first time. Fear and shame war for dominance of their features, as they look to one another with varying shrugs and shakes of the head and expressions of concern.

"<Uh... three? I think?- "No, it was only 2 besides Nualia!- I thought maybe four... They wear metal? Good metal!- Hits hard...>" Despite his usually keen eye, Cade is unable to get a strong impression about their behavior. They're obviously uncomfortable, but that's most of what's apparent. They completely ignore Niccomo as he goes about more thoroughly disarming them, and only sidle away nervously as he binds the Bugbear.

Spoiler: Loot!
    Show
    Bruthazmus had on his person:
    a heavy flail
    a mwk composite long bow (+4 str)
    studded leather armor
    4 magic arrows
    Spoiler: Spellcraft forget the DC
    Show
    +1 Elf bane

1 potion
    Spoiler: Ditto, CL 3?
    Show
    cure moderate wounds

4 platinum coins

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr watched Yen with detachment, the dark look twisting her features as she interrogated the goblin women. He wondered if their earlier discussion had been a shifting point ... and how far she might go one her path. Fortunately, it was effective - the women were spilling secrets like water through a sieve. When he heard the word longshanks, he leaned forward, clearly as interested in further information as was Cade.

He waited for the goblins answers, then looked back at the others. He whispered to them, "What do you think these 'longshanks' are? More allies from Sandpoint, or somewhere else? Should we deal with them first, or attack Nualia now?"
    Show
    I'm not sure if the clock is ticking or not ...

Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Add'l Effects: mage armor (+4 AC [armor], 1hr)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-07-24 at 09:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"Longshanks?" reacts Niccomo, "wasn't there anything about them in that journal? Anyways, I'm certain the bugbear knows more than these goblin women."

Niccomo nonchalantly gives a tug on the string the bugbear's bow. "Too hard for me. But it looks like a good weapon. Do you think you can bend it, Hero? Or maybe you, Maiden?" he says, looking at Vintr and Elicaryn in turn.

"It's clear they don't understand common." Niccomo goes on, as matter of fact as he can, while pocketing the platinum coins, without giving a single look towards the goblins. "It's time to think of what we're going to do with them once they've finished spilling the beans. Taking them prisoner or tying them up here seems," Niccomo hesitates, "dangerous to us."