New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords 2: Delving Thistletop and beyond!

Vintr listened to the two men speak, then he responded. He frowned at Cade, not in frustration or anger, but confusion. "I do not think petty snipping is required Cadeus, and you comments are misplaced. Who among us came to defeat a powerful fiend? Who but you? I thought we came for Nualia. I thought we came to stop her machinations and bring her to justice. We have succeeded in our task - she is stopped. And while we could execute her now, I think doing so would only serve as revenge for the pain in our hearts, and less a demonstration of justice. Besides, I think the townsfolk of Sandpoint should have a say in her fate.

Your studies are obviously important to you, and I admit I do not understand them. But I am uncertain what fighting a powerful barghast would net us ... except perhaps an early death. Unless we are here to seal the beast away; if so, please enlighten us to your intentions and recommendations.

I do not have a vested interest in staying and fighting something beyond our means ... ”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It occurs to me that in our dialogues Vintr presumes the creature was either awake or would be woken up. Maybe Cade just wants to seal it in. Or cut da grass on a sleeping Barghy.
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 / HPs 15/17 / Init +8
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Perception +8, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +9; Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    Spells: comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, read magic
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / doom, protection from evil, shield of faith
    Blessings 2/4; Fervor 0/3; Arcane Pool 0/2
    Add'l Effects: mage armor (+4 AC [armor], 1hr)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I second Arcturus' suggestion," Ely said, raising her hand as if it were a vote.

"I mean, as far as the resting goes. Whether we go forward or back, we could probably use the break and if these rooms aren't going to be swarmed by angry goblins and mercenaries in the middle of the night, it seems as good as any other option. At least it has a floor and a roof; for Nualia... " She trailed off. Her expression tightened to a line.

"Vintr's right. Nualia is from Sandpoint, and her crimes were directed to them. No one would probably object if we killed her here and now, but that's not justice. And if..."

She took a deep inhale of breath, but her words were said through gritted teeth.
    "If we're offering Lyrie a chance to redeem herself, we need to do the same for Nualia. As much as I wouldn't mind if she ended up being thrown down the side of the cliff... we need to bring her back to Sandpoint."

Which left the problem of Malfeshkenor. "I don't like the idea of leaving the barghest behind us, though. Sealing it might be a temporary solution, but... well, it's temporary. Sooner or later, another Nualia would come along and dig it up. Though I suppose a seal might buy us some time to run Nualia back and to fortify Sandpoint.. And if the sherrif comes back with some troops from Magnimar, then..."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Ben nods in accordance with what Elicaryn says. Yet, when talk is of redemption, he conspicuously looks to the side, seeming unconvinced.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

"Fighting Malfeshnekor is important, for the many reasons that Elicaryn here just stated, although I do not believe that we need to seal something that has already been trapped away. Patience and preparation will win us the day. When fighting Bruthazmus, we won because we approached the battle with an advantage. Personally, I believe that we have the numbers and the means to fight the barghest - I can draw up a proper series of tactics to make sure that all of our weapons are effective against the monster's hide, and we can coordinate to keep it secure." Cade pauses, listening to the others for once.

"If you desperately want to take Nualia and Niccomo back to Sandpoint, be my guest. I will remain here regardless. I do concur that resting is a good idea - in fact, it is necessary for us to be at our full strength when we press on. Thistletop has many more secrets; aren't you at least a little bit curious to see what they might be?"
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr didn't respond immediately, but eventually said quietly, "I am willing to shelter here this evening, where we might best protect ourselves. I would hear more of your plans to deal with the beast, prior to agreeing to fighting it. If your preparations seem insufficient, I will take Nualia back, alone if necessary, to face her crimes. My curiosity is moot, and does not extend to combating creatures out of our league.

But if you think it is not quite the threat I have perceived it to be, then there is certainly room for discussion.”

Show
    Sleep on it ... and hear the plan. I'm okay with running the details in Hangouts for that

We'll need guards and such to watch Nualia ... and to be honest, Eli and Vintr will likely have to share the duties. Can't say Vintr trusts Cade to NOT kill her during the night ...
    Show
    AC 20 / HPs 15/17 / Init +8
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Perception +8, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +9; Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / doom, protection from evil, shield of faith
    Blessings 2/4; Fervor 0/3; Arcane Pool 0/2
    Add'l Effects: mage armor (+4 AC [armor], 1hr)

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arcturus claps his hands together and rubs them briskly. "Very well - it's settled. We make camp here tonight,
    and in the morning we discuss what to do with the pair of them-
    " he indicates Nualia and Lyrie, "-and also a strategy for confronting the barghest that WON'T get us slaughtered. Now, if no one else has anything to add, I am going to go find what passes for a pantry in this sty - there must be a bottle of wine somewhere on this godsforsaken rock!"

Show
    Ready to fast-forward to the next morning, if others are! Arcturus can help keep watch but he needs his beauty rest to re-prepare spells.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2018-03-11 at 05:18 PM.
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Lyrie watches the exchange with a dubious expression. At Ben's question, her eyes widen. "Did you listen to nothing I said of the beast? It's a spectacularly powerful fiend! It would be suicide to attempt it!" She lapses back into silence, not even directly responding to Elicaryn's comments of redemption, though she quietly rolls her eyes.

As the party determines that the best course of action is a night's sleep, Lyrie clears her throat daintily. "There are," she begins, "several bedrooms on the upper floor. After all, we've been sleeping here for a few days."

Show
    I'll need some decisions made. First of all, the five doors in the southern portion of the upper floor are indeed bedchambers- if primarily spartanly decorated. I'll go into greater detail there if you'd like. You've already found the Goblins storage upstairs- much of it poorly salted meat. Nualia and her companions largely subsisted on traveling rations, and the occasional freshly-cooked horse or other game that Orik caught.

There are 5 bedrooms. If you use them, who stays where and how do you keep watch over the prisoners overnight?

Also, CONGRATS BEECHES! YOU'RE LEVEL FOUR NOW!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

"Not to worry," Cade says with a hint of a self-satisfied smile. "We will be able to take care of Malfeshnekor. Lyrie, can you cast a spell to bolster some of our equipment? I know that barghests have thick hides, but an arsenal that's been enchanted beyond what we've already picked up would be a strong start."

"Now, I have a few ideas for some options to slow Malfeshnekor down, and perhaps hurt him more than a little blade like my rapier could have done. I will need to field test them on the fly... Arcturus, if you have any spells suitable to shaping the battlefield in our favor, I would suggest casting those at the battle's outset. Vintr, do you have a way of enchanting your limbs help tip the balance? Here is what I propose..."

Some time later, Cade puts his backpack on one of the chairs in the war room. All around him are strewn the scrolls and documents of Nualia's initial expedition into Thassilonian ruins. He's already pored over and memorized enough of the texts to have a general sense of the intellectual layout of the space. Shoving the tomes aside, the young scholar makes some space on the table, and starts to rummage into his belongings.

He will need the room for the initial experiment.

First, the arctic coagulant must be generated. He doesn't have access to true cold crystal, but a few reagents from his earlier water-stride extract will have to do for now. Looking into his satchels of raw materials, Cade draws forth a small bottle and quickly empties its contents nearby. Far more useful as a receptacle. The bottled cold will be a potent weapon, when he's finished it. As he moves to make the measurements on the first draft, there is a soft metallic clank as the hilt of his rapier comes into contact with the table.

Loosing the scabbard, Cade tosses it across the room where it lands amidst the other forgotten things. A blade did Niccomo no good. Why should I use one, when it failed him? No, now is the time for more desperate weapons. The active liquid comes from one of his potion draughts, an active expansion agent that one might use to change their own size. Instead, it will take the cold seed and spread it over a surface area... or perhaps an individual. In his notebook, Cade starts to measure the reaction in the flask.

"You think you can outsmart the world, huh?" The voice comes from over his shoulder. Cade doesn't turn around to look at the looming figure of the Blackthorn behind him. "What, a few new gadgets and toys, and suddenly you're going to lay low every enemy that crosses your path? Little boy, did I teach you nothing?"

"On the contrary," Cade shoots back, his eyes never leaving the table. "You taught me to make the most of a bad situation, to improvise when plans go awry. Well here I am. The closest thing this disparate group of horrible people had to a leader is lying dead, and none of the other morons will listen to me. This plan has to work. It has to." Thinking back to Niccomo, his hands grip the table tighter.

Behind him, the armored figure snorts derisively. "It'd better. Otherwise, you're all gonna die tomorrow."

The next morning, Cade looks a little bit different. Dark circles ring his eyes, making his features look even paler than usual. Gone is the rapier that he normally carries at his waist, an empty belt loop hanging for all to see. However, the longbow over his shoulder has been strung, and affixed to the weapon is a strange looking contraption: a small mechanical cylinder affixed to the center of the bow, along with a place to insert an arrow when the weapon is being drawn to fire.

However, that's not the strangest thing that the alchemist carries with him. The bandolier that he wears across his armored chest is packed to bursting with containers of some sort. Various bottles and vials are all within arm's reach, but none of them are the same uniform iron containers that Cade normally uses for his extracts. What's more, there appears to be a bulky sort of syringe, with a pale liquid inside of it. Every once in a while, he checks to make sure that the equipment is all still in place and secure.

"Well?" the young adventurer asks the others as he takes a bite of his trail rations, "shall we get on with it?"

Show
    I'm fine with doing pre-rest tactics 'offscreen', to save us some time going forward. We can continue our Hangouts conversations unimpeded by game demands.

Here is Cade Rhineheart at 4th level! I swapped his classes around a bit after some long conversations with Bink, and Cade is now an Alchemist rather than an Investigator. His spike damage is now quite a bit higher (2d6+7 at max rather than 1d6+3), and he's a more specialized Knowledge monkey than he was earlier, but he loses out on Perception and Sense Motive as proper skills to invest in.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2018-03-11 at 08:54 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

His search for wine having come up empty, Arcturus retires in defeat to one of the bedrooms for the evening.

Spoiler: OOC: Sleep logistics
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    There are 5 bedrooms. If you use them, who stays where and how do you keep watch over the prisoners overnight?
    Here is my suggestion: four sleeping PCs and Lyrie (without her spellbook) in the five bedrooms. Nualia and whichever PC is on guard duty remain in the hallway outside - Nualia should stay bound IMO.

(Is there going to be an issue with guard duty interfering with rest for spell prep? If we rest for 10 hours, every PC could have 2 hours of guard and 8 hours of sleep.)

(Redacted - the next morning)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2018-03-27 at 09:01 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

"They are canisters of contained energy that bear thaumaturgic principles, distilled into alchemical form. To explain it to you would require more time than I believe anyone here would care to take. Suffice it to say that they're completely stable... until I release them." Cade never once looks at the sorcerer while speaking, instead taking the time to make sure that all of his equipment is ready for battle.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Ben nods in agreement with Lyrie's suggestion of sleeping in actual beds. "I will take third watch turn."

Show
    I agree with MuffinMan's proposal of bedding and watch arrangements.

When he's got enough of keeping watch over Nualia and the corridor, Ben gets the next person in turn to relief him. Once they're ready, he checks Nualia's bindings. He's lost count of how many times he made this verification, but she's dangerous enough to give it an extra effort.

He then goes on to check on Cade, who for some reason decided to stay in another room. Reaching the door, he hears Cade's voice. Ben stops in his tracks, listening at the door. He then opens it the smallest crack to peek inside.

At first, it seemed the young man was in conversation. Puzzlingly, he seems alone in the room, talking to himself as he juggles alchemical instruments. Ben thinks better than interrupting the eccentric, given his intent concentration on his tasks.

He silently pulls the door shut and walks back to the bedrooms, deep in thought. Following the Sandpoint Heroes' lead seems like a worse idea with every passing moment.

Ben listens to the discussion. Finally, he shrugs at Arcturus question. "If you don't care they try to escape when we fight..."
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Earlier

Vintr sighed, tired of arguing with the others, and finally agreed to resting for the night. He was adamant Nualia return for judgement, but not ignorant of the danger she represented. He ensured she was bound, gagged, tied up and ears were plugged, just to be safe. When he wasn’t watching her, he entrusted Elicaryn and Arcturus to guard her.

When he was able, Vintr meditated, seeking answers from both within and from Irori’s will. By morning, he had been graced by his goddess’ favors, which perhaps was a sign of expectations for a disciple...
    Later
    Vintr joined the others, seconding the need for planning. "I have awoken renewed - perhaps we will be successful. However, we still must prepare adequately for the encounter. As my teachers would say, failing to plan is planning to fail. Based off of the previous research done on this creature, what are the best use of our talents? What spell selection would be best suited to this situation? What are its weaknesses and strengths?

In short, how do we achieve victory? ”

Show
    trying to engage a bit more RP and set-up. I think we mentioned Protection vs evil and Instrument of Agony ... any other divine spells?
    Show
    AC 17 / HPs 25 / Init +8
    F +5 R +5 W +6
    Perception +9, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +11, Acrobatics +9; History +7, Geography/Religion +5, Spellcraft +5; UMD +7
    Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / protection from evil x3, shield of faith / instrument of agony,
    Blessings 5; Fervor 4; Arcane Pool 2
    Add'l Effects:

13. - Top - End - #373

"I've always found following your instincts to be good advice, but if the barghest is dangerous enough to swallow up a town, I guess having a plan before we start would be a good idea."

Ely stifled a yawn from the floor. She'd rested, but she hadn't slept well. During the moments when she wasn't guarding Nualia (and nodding off), or beseeching Shelyn for guidance and favor (and nodding off), her dreams had been... uneasy. Wolves made of goblins and shadows descending on townsfolk, fortresses being swallowed into pits, the mocking laughter of a woman both supernaturally beautiful and disfigured...

She shook her head to dispel the thoughts and added, "Though really, I'd just planned on hitting it until it died. I suppose strength in arms and faith isn't much so far as planning goes, but..."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

"As I mentioned earlier," Cade interjects, "a barghest of that nature will have an extraordinarily tough hide. Simply punching or stabbing it will not do. We need magic - or some kind of unusual substance - in order to meaningfully hurt it. I've been working on a solution here that might be of use, but all of you should stick to weapons that you know for certain are enchanted."

"Beyond that... from what Lyrie has mentioned, Malfeshnekor will have several magical capabilities. He will be able to render himself invisible at will, but thanks to Arcturus we should have that one more or less covered. Barghests that powerful have other spells as well, incantations to meddle with our minds. Some kind of protection from evil forces might do the trick for preventing that."

Nodding at Ely, Cade smirks. "Beyond those precautions, I believe it really will come down to hitting it as hard as we can, as quickly as we can. Ely, I've noticed that your strikes are more effective when you call on Shelyn. It might be prudent to try to establish that connection going into battle today."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Things happen overnight.

All told, it passes uneventfully, for Elicaryn and Vintr- Nualia slumbers quietly in the corner throughout both watches, and no one appears to do battle from aboveground. When Arcturus opens the door to Lyrie's chamber, he's shocked to find that she's disappeared overnight. He looks down at the spellbook in hand, a bit dumbstruck that she would have left it behind, but clearly whenever she made her escape, she didn't manage to bring the book with her.
    Spoiler: Her spellbook
    Show
    which contains invisibility, mirror image, shatter, see invisibility, minor image,
    burning hands, grease, mage armor, ray of enfeeblement, comprehend languages, detect secret doors, floating disc, identify, locate object, obscuring mist, sleep, spider climb, is still with you- along with everything else you looted from her.

She made her escape leaving almost all of her belongings behind.

For better or worse, you are one prisoner the fewer, and the depths yet await.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler: OOC: Retcon
    Show
    I've deleted my last 2.5 posts that assumed we made it to the morning without incident.

Arcturus storms out of Lyrie's room in a fury, the spellbook clenched in his hands. His first destination is Nualia - to make sure Lyrie didn't help her escape and that she isn't being left alone to make profane supplications to Lamashtu. He throws the book loudly on the floor, intending to startle her. "Wake up, you fools!" he yells to his allies. "She's gone! The mage, Lyrie! Who was supposed to be on duty?!?! Aaaarrgh!! She should have been bound when we had the chance!!" He paces frantically back and forth in the narrow corridor, taking deep breaths until he can calm himself sufficiently to reason.

"She won't be moving quickly - not without that" he nods at the spellbook. "Well, now what? That's two foes who have escaped and could be riding back with more goblin tribes even as we speak! Though it is alarming to be without more magical aid, this may still be our best chance to slay the barghest before reinforcements arrive."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

"The swordsman is not coming back. I can tell a runner when I see one," answers Ben. He adds nothing about Lyrie.

18. - Top - End - #378

Ely didn't look surprised to hear of Lyrie's disappearance. Lyrie had accompanied Nualia to Thistletop without any sign of coercion and duress; given an oppurtunity to, in hindsight, it seemed obvious that she would take an opportunity to escape.

She was crestfallen, though; her shoulders slumped with disappointment. That someone would run away when offered a chance at redemption...

"She's made her choice, and we've made ours," she said finally. "I hope she doesn't regret it."

She rise to her feet, stretching her arms and back with a crack. "If reinforcements are in-bound, then I agree; this is our best opportunity to find Mal-fel-whatever. It would be bad if we got caught between an army of goblins and a demon... so we should kill the demon before they get here. Simple!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Too optimistic to consider that we might regret our choice, of course I forgot that fourth level gets ability bonus, so I'll edit that in.. probably in a day or two when I get time. Sorry for the hold up.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

The sound of Lyrie's book slapping against the floor is a bit startling- even to Arcturus. It lands just right, such that the full-faced slap just perfectly reverberates in the hallway. Nualia's breath comes in a bit of a hitch, but she doesn't otherwise stir. It's then that the sorcerer notices a few new bruises on the side of her head. It seems the current slumber was imposed upon her, rather than a result of fatigue.

As the others begin filing out of their rooms, the unconscious priestess makes no notice of anyone or anything going on around her...

Show
    So, shall we hunt?

20. - Top - End - #380

"So, as much as I'd like to greet the morning with a song, that probably isn't the best choice in this situation." That was probably a joke; even Ely wouldn't go that far... right...?

She rose to her feet, leaning the glaive against her shoulder, and looked at the group of companions. "I'll save the ballad for when the fight is over."

Spoiler
    Show
    Literally have no idea what to say. Sorry. I'm all for sallying forth though.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arcturus makes a mental note of Nualia's fresh bruises, but decides to refrain against mentioning them at the moment. "Very well, I think we have an accord. Let us go and deal with this barghest -Malfeshnikor, I think it was - and then we will take Nualia back to Sandpoint to confront the justice that is waiting for her." He looks around at the faces of his companions to make sure none object before continuing.

"Elicaryn, Vintr - this would be a good moment for any final supplications to the gods. Benven...- er, Ben - make sure your weapons are ready. Cadeus, you seem to understand the nature of the barghest's imprisonment and how to bring it forth to be vanquished." He draws a deep breath and adjusts his once-formal jacket about his shoulders. "Would you lead the way to Malfeshnikor's resting place?"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Noticing Arcturus intereset in Nualia, Ben shrugs. In a monotone, he explains: "She wasn't cooperating. Doesn't make her looks too much worse."

Ben then nods approvingly to Arcturus' recommandetions. "I will use her sword."

Show
    Claiming Nualia's +1 bastard sword for the fight.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-04-04 at 04:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

"I can only presume the barghest is somewhere past the door that Nualia and her company failed to open," Cade says as he takes up a position near the front of the group. "Any last minute preparations to be made should be held off until we are through that portal."

Making sure the alchemical containers are secure, the young adventurer heads back down the stairs, through the entry chamber, over the now-sealed pit, to make a right hand turn moving southward at the last junction. It is the only place that Malfeshnekor should reasonably be.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Earlier

Vintr rose early, taking his turn to guard Nualia. Seeing the bruises on her face, he said nothing, but he did wonder where the mage was. Sighing, he sat down and watched the comatose woman and the approach to the rooms.

When the group gathered in the morning, it was discovered the mage had escaped. Frowning, Vintr started to comment, then thought better. Instead, he waited for the tactical discussion to begin. Clearing his thriving, he offered, "I can provide blessings from Irori ... enchantments against evil, enhancements to weapons, or other options.

As for Nualia, we need something to keep her imprisoned for the duration of our battle.”

Show
    Holding off buffing up u til later
    Show
    AC 17 / HPs 25 / Init +8
    F +5 R +5 W +6
    Perception +9, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +11, Acrobatics +9; History +7, Geography/Religion +5, Spellcraft +5; UMD +7
    Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / protection from evil x3, magic weapon / instrument of agony, spiritual weapon
    Blessings 5; Fervor 4; Arcane Pool 2
    Add'l Effects:

25. - Top - End - #385

"Shelyn will protect her servants," Ely said confidently. She paused a moment, then added, "Of course, if any of you would like to do a last-minute conversion, I'm sure that wouldn't go amiss."

Despite her tiredness, despite Lyrie's escape, Elicaryn felt in high spirits. When everything was over, she'd feel the weight of... everything. The loss of Niccomo, especially. Right now, however, with a demon to slay and an end in sight, she almost felt... invigorated. The weapon in her hand and tied about her neck felt more purposeful than they had the entire journey.

Her expression tightened, just slightly, at Nualia though. "Well, she still look's like she's sleeping, but I don't know if the rope would be enough to hold her. When we're finished, I'd like to not have to chase her down again. She needs to stand trial at Sandpoint, and make up for her crimes. So... does anyone have any stronger rope?[/color]"

Spoiler
    Show
    My way of trying to say "Ill get life link set up" in character, I guess. And 'I took another level in Paladin'.

I forgot that at level 4 we add an ability score thing, so I need to add that to my sheet, so I need to get that done. Also think I'm missing a spell from my sheet now that I look at it, but... Again. I'll get that updated.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Ben gives the slightest wince at the mention of Irori and sighs at the mention of Shelyn. Yet, he smiles at Elicaryn's "last-minute conversion" joke.

He turns to Vintr. "With your blessing, can my axe hurt that demon? If so, I prefer my axe to that sword."

"Regarding the woman, we can put her back down in that trap you talked about. Then we close it from outside. With manacles on both arms and legs, it will be difficult for her to escape."

As an afterthought, he turns to Elicaryn. "And yes, we can use some rope too."

Show
    Ben hasn't seen the pit-trap open, but he heard of it. Also, I seem to remember somebody (Cade?) found the open/close lever after the last fight.

Other than that, ready to go.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

The party returns to the depths, still a hair unnerved by the current of cool, crisp air that meets them at the bottom of the steps. Ben drags Nualia more than carries her, and with a little clever timing and rope use, he and Vintr manage to lower her into the pit without too much pain. Cade works the levers to activate and deactivate the trap, leaving the beaten priestess bound, manacled, and unconscious in the dark beneath the hallway's floor. When she wakes, it surely won't be pleasant.

Then, Cade leads the party southward, paying careful attention to the doors edges to ensure safe passage. He passes through a short, nondescript hallway before peering into a wide "L" shaped corridor. The southern branch ends in a pair of heavy-looking stone doors, carved with the image of two skeletons reaching out to clutch a skull in-between them. To the east, the hallway narrows to frame a circular carving of what seems to be an immense stack of gold coins. The carving reaches from floor to ceiling, its edges carved with tiny, angular runes.

Map updated

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

In the new room, Arcturus' eyes are immediately caught by the carving of gold coins, and his voice brightens as he walks over to examine it. "Ahh, now this is more like it! After all that trouble the windfall of a small fortune is the least the gods could do!" He casts a cantrip to sweep the room for any magical auras before returning to a more mundane inspection of the stonework.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast detect magic and scan the room. If auras are found, Spellcraft (1d20+9)[12] to identify.

Examine the runes using Linguistics (1d20+6)[11] or Knowledge: History (1d20+8)[11], if applicable.

Finally, if Arcturus gets the sense that the runes are in a definite language but none of the group can read them, he will use the scroll of comprehend languages to decipher them.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2018-04-09 at 08:15 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Ben beholds the skeleton decorated door and sighs. "Charming."

He waits for others to take the lead.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-04-10 at 04:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Arcturus quickly discovers the the presence of an aura, and almost as quickly locates it along the eastern wall. As he focuses, the effects of the spell remain foreign to him, though its overwhelming strength becomes more apparent. He can't even be sure of the school of magic involved, but some extremely powerful spell weaver placed an enchantment upon the stacked gold coins.