New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords 2: Delving Thistletop and beyond!

Vintr waited a moment for Niccomo to elucidate further, but no more words came. Glancing at the others, Vintr gave a curt nod, cast his cantrip of arcane sight, then slipped off toward the doors.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Detect magic first, then move forward. Take ten on Stealth (20), take ten on Perception at each of the doors (18). Sweep w/detect magic, then return to the others and report.
    Do we have a cure light wounds wand? If so, I could use a hit CLW - (1d8+1)[7]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 22 HPs: 17 Init: +8
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Perception +8, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +9; Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    Spells: comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, read magic
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / doom, protection from evil, shield of faith
    Blessings 4/4; Fervor 1/3; Arcane Pool 1/2
    Add'l Effects: mage armor (+4 AC [armor], 1hr)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-08-19 at 02:19 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

As Vintr investigates the doors, Yen and Elicaryn are surprised to hear heavy boot-steps from the hallway to the south. A curt call (in common) emanates from beyond the door, "Oy! Brute! You done in there, yet?"

Meanwhile, Vintr inspects the doors, hearing little to direct his decision-making. The double-doors and the northern door are of sterner make than is typical here. The northern door bears none of the hideous markers so blatantly scrawled upon the double doors, however. The eastern door is another ramshackle affair: mostly loose, gaping timbers and improvised hinges.

As he inspects them, a vague sensation of wrongness seems to emanate from the double doors. Nothing can be heard from beyond the west or north. The distant crash of waves and wind continue to echo from the east.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Cade follows a few footsteps behind Vintr, his own thoughts a distant mire. After this much anticipation, they are nearer than ever to a first encounter with the aasimar. The conclusions are there, in his head, although if he is being entirely honest with himself, Cade does not know exactly quite what to expect. If he has learned anything over the past days - besides the most efficient way go carve up goblins - it is that reality does not always conform to the data in his library.

But the axioms of discovery and rational inquiry are clear: it is the principal duty of any true scientist to revise information when it is faulty, and fill in the gaps when it is missing. Whatever ritual Nualia is undertaking down here, it is up to him to record it, whether or not it will have an impact on the future.

His blade already out, Cade comes to the double doors. "Perhaps we ought to lean into the wrongness," he says upon feeling the ill intent settle into his gut. "It has not led us astray thus far, and I for one am curious to see where it leads. We should consult the others, of course. Wouldn't want to make any unilateral decisions for the rest of the group, now would we?"

Show
    Cade is also going to take 10 on his Stealth and Perception rolls, for 18 and 22 respectively. No sense in wasting his Inspiration here.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr didn't respond to Cade's comments, but nodded after a moment, quietly leading the way back to the others to report their findings ...
    Show
    Not Teton to be meta, but V would have returned if he was alone (which I thought he would be). And he's played the scout role pretty conservatively ...
    Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Perception +8, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +9; Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / doom, protection from evil, shield of faith

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ely's found her eyes transfixed upon the door. She didn't answer Vintr's prompt, but unlike Niccomo, her emotions were clear to see, rotating through shock, horror and revulsion with each engraving.

While the monk and Caedus crept on to investigate the hall, she managed to pry her sight away from the door and regard the others. She couldn't begin to guess the Witch's thoughts - after what she said in the throne room, Ely wasn't sure she wanted to - and Niccomo...

He was quiet, but that probably had less to do with the carvings than with what had happened with the goblins. The middle of a fortress surrounded by enemies might not be the best of times for a heart to heart, but...

The sound of a voice down the corridor snapped her from those thoughts. Still distracted, it took a second for the words to click together. When they did, however...

She cursed softly. She had assumed the party would have more time to find Nualia before the bugbear's absence was noticed. She glanced at Niccomo and Yen, then nodding towards the voice.

"I don't suppose you have a spell for making someone just carry on and walk away, do you?" she asked the witch.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arcturus backs away from the door, shaking his head at Ely's question. "Nothing that won't have him running to alert the rest of this place!" he hisses in frustration. "Get ready by the side of the door - I'll try to draw him in!" He gestures quickly for Niccomo and the paladin to take positions flanking the doorway, then begins slapping the stone wall loudly with his hand. He then responds to the caller in his best falsetto impression of a goblin female:

"<Oh, Bruthazmus! Yes! Yes!>"

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show
    Howdy everyone! Never my first post would be an impersonation of goblin lovemaking!

Arcturus will move back to V/19 and then do his best to convey that the goblins are still going at it (he speaks goblin). Not sure what rolls are required - maybe Bluff? Disguise? Here's one of each:
    Bluff (1d20+8)[11], Disguise (1d20+4)[23]

Show
    Arcturus
    M LN Human Sorcerer, Level 3, Init 2, HP 22/22, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 12, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    ray of frost +3 (1d3, x2)
    dagger 0 (1d4 - 1, 19-20/x2)
    mage armor, shield (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 18
    Condition None
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

The boot-steps suddenly halt, and an uncomfortable silence fills a few heartbeats.
    Spoiler: Perception DC 14
    Show
    The distinct scrape of a blade being unsheathed can faintly be heard from down the hallway (behind the middle door).

"Who goes there?! That ain't one o' Ripnugget's whores' voice!" The source of the sound remains hidden behind the door.
    Spoiler: If you open the door
    Show
    He's also behind the corner, which is about 15' to the south- where the hallway turns right (towards the west).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A flash of annoyance crosses Arcturus' face as his ruse is seen through, but he reacts equally quickly. Glancing down the hallway where the rest of his allies are, he responds again in a lower, gruffer version of his own voice - this time in Common:

"Just havin' a laugh! They sent me down for these supplies - you gonna help or not??" Then, with a meaningful look at Ely and Niccomo, he turns and begins slowly walking back up the stairs to the surface. He places each footstep exaggeratedly and loudly, making sure the questioner can hear them.

Spoiler: OOC / Rolls
    Show
    Trying to make this guy curious and create a feeling of urgency so that he comes in alone, instead of running for reinforcements.

Bluff (1d20+8)[21]
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

A sharp click of metal on metal can be heard from behind the door, followed shortly by the same gruff speaker responding, "Sh!t, quit playin' games- this place has me all on edge lately. Where you need help?" A few moments later, footfalls herald the sudden opening of the shoddy door, revealing a heavily-armored, empty-handed man with a long-handled blade protruding over his shoulder. He stops in the hallway, eyeing Arcturus. "Who are you anyway? Another one of Tsuto's 'helpers'?"

Somehow, the word sounds like an insult on this man's lips, as his rugged, chiseled jaw breaks into a questionably mirthful smirk.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arcturus is ready when the door opens. He stands squarely facing the door with arms akimbo, displaying his own fine garments and making it obvious that he is unarmed except for the dagger at his belt. He meets the armored man's gaze levelly a whole second before responding. His words are laced with the precise, calculated contempt that is a unique talent of the aristocracy:

"Tsuto sent me. Supplies are up top, with the mules. I was assured you would be ready to receive them, but here we are." He sniffs dismissively and turns to resume ascending the staircase, exposing his back to the newcomer. "He'll hear about this sloppy operation when I make my report."

Spoiler: Rolls / OOC
    Show
    If another Bluff is needed: (1d20+8)[17].

Arcturus will begin climbing the stairs at a normal pace, listening for the man to follow. If he has not moved by the time Arcturus reaches the landing (W/16), Arcturus will turn around and goad him into following (using Intimidate (1d20+12)[30]):

"Are you deaf or just stupid? Let's go!"
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2017-09-03 at 11:26 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

The man snorts. Instead of footsteps, Arcturus hears a curt reply. "Cute." The man crosses his arms and makes no movement to follow. "Add this to your report. I don't work for that punk half-breed, and ain't about to start now. I was thinkin' of helpin' you out just 'kuz it beats being bored, but now I think I'd rather just watch you get all that finery sweatied up good."

Show
    He's content to watch Arcturus walk up the stairs, but won't be moving to follow immediately.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arcturus whirls around and takes a few steps closer to the man, leveling an accusatory finger at him. "Let me spell it out for you, then, since you seem too stupid to put it together yourself! I report this to Tsuto: Tsuto becomes unhappy. Tsuto becomes unhappy, Nualia becomes unhappy. And when Nualia becomes unhappy... I think even you have enough brainpower to see how that's a bad outcome for you. So unless you want to be the one explaining to her why the goblins are rioting with no food, clothing, or weapons you will get. Up.Those. STAIRS!!"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Hoping this can pass for a credible Intimidate

I'd love to use the 18 from above, but if a new roll is called for (1d20+12)[23]

If this doesn't draw him out, Arcturus is going to give up and just spring the trap as-is. Ain't nobody got time for this!
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2017-09-03 at 12:07 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

The man begins openly laughing about halfway through Arcturus' diatribe. "Let me spell it out for you," he begins, as he steps forward to punctuate his disdain. "If Tsuto becomes un-" Almost immediately, he sees Elicaryn in the corner of the room, and his demeanor changes in less than a heartbeat.

"SH!T!! GUARDS! TO ARMS!" Before Arcturus can immediately respond, the man steps back into the hallway and draws his sword over his shoulder. The sword must have nearly a 6-foot blade, but the man wields it with undeniable familiarity. He continues to call for aid, as he eyes Arcturus, now openly distrusting.

Begin Combat!

Map updated

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Surprise Round / Round 1

Arcturus curses as the man reacts more quickly than he expected, and hurriedly weaves a spell to summon a patch of slippery grease beneath the man's feet.

"Oh, Tsuto's dead!" he proclaims as he draws his dagger, his eyes beginning to glow with purple arcane energy. "And now, so are you!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Surprise round: cast Grease covering V/23-V/24. DC 15 Reflex save or fall prone.

If he falls or stands but remains in the grease:
    First round: draw dagger while stepping to V/19, then use Intimidate to demoralize: vs DC of 10 + HD + Wis mod or else shaken.
    Roll in OOC was 16.

If he does not fall and moves out of the grease:
    Standard action to dismiss the Grease, so that allies can pursue him

Show
    Arcturus
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 12, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 3, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Condition None
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2017-09-03 at 01:11 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Cade barely has time to turn around and register that there's a new arrival in the corridor below before steel is drawn and there's a proper alarum. "Thrice-damn it," the investigator curses to whomever will listen, "we were here trying to avoid that sort of thing. No doubt we'll be swimming in goblins in less than a minute - maybe even facing Nualia well before we've made adequate preparations."

Still, there's nothing to be done but dive into the fray. So move Cade does, running and rolling only to land upright on his feet, just out of this new enemy's reach. His rapier is at the ready, but he doesn't close the full distance to strike just yet. Instead, his steely gaze takes in the threat ahead, gauging the fellow's armor, weapon, and fighting stance for anything he can exploit.

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    Cade is moving up to U21, and will ready an attack against Orik should he move forward up to (or past) V22. In the event that Ely tries to diplomancy this guy, I've also got a (purely reactive) Sense Motive ready on anything he says.

Attack (vs. Orik): (1d20+7)[8] for (1d6+3)[5] (crit confirm: (1d20+7)[19])

Sense Motive: (1d20+12)[25]

Edit: nope!
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-06 at 02:06 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

The man is thoroughly unprepared for the stone floor becoming slickened beneath him, and unceremoniously crumples under his own weight in the suddenly precarious footing. It is no small tribute to his mentor that the man manages to retain his grip on the oversized blade, though his posture is clearly compromised. His eyes widen in a look equal parts fear, confusion, and grit, as Cade begins to approach.

Show
    Dude done got proned (not to be confused with pwned).

17. - Top - End - #77

When everything was finished, she would have to have a talk with Arcturus about his falsetto. Ely wasn't sure how consorting goblin women were supposed to sound, but she suspected it was a pitch or two higher. That probably wasn't the reason why the guard didn't buy it, of course, but still...

The mention of Tsuto, however, pushed that thought away at once. From what the goblin women said, there were probably enough longshanks in the building that trying to pass themselves off as his guards was probably the best idea. The best idea, not a palatable one. Ely was a poor liar at the best of times. Pretending to be associated with Tsuto, with the butchery of the glasswork apprentices...

Maybe it was her inability to hide that distaste that spoiled Arcturus' bluff; after all, one of Tsuto's men probably wouldn't have reacted with revulsion to his name.

Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise round, move to V22. Because even with my abuse of reach weapon rules, don't think I can hit him from the corner of the room

Caedus was right. Assuming the man's cry hadn't already been heard (a large assumption in itself), if he wasn't silenced quickly he'd rouse the entire fortress. And there was an easy way to silence him.

She touched her scarf for a moment.
    She hadn't killed a human before. She'd killed goblins aplenty over the past few days, but when they were confronted with a person, she'd faltered, dithered, and washed her hands of it.

She folded her arms across her chest, fixed the guard with a look

"Tsuto is dead. So is Ripnugget, and a score of goblins from here to Sandpoint. You have several blades directed at your - currently exposed - throat. As of this moment, your options are to decide whether Nualia pays enough gold that you will be able to spend it in the afterlife... or, I can give you a hand to get to your feet, so we can begin proper negotiations."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[9]
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr decided not to remind Cade that the group had elected to leave these potential enemies behind. Now there was nothing to do but deal with the consequences of their choices. Moving forward, he attacked, ignoring Ely's awkward attempts to garner a surrender from a foe that looked none too willing to give up.
    Show
    Move up - attack with swift kick! Attack - (1d20+6)[9], Dam - (1d6+1)[5]
    Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Further testament to his ability and training, the burly man successfully avoids Vintr's attack despite being in a wholly precarious position. He scrambles backwards, opening himself up to another blow, this one better aimed. With a grunt, he takes the kick, and Vintr becomes keenly aware of the quality of his armor. He continues to scramble away, climbing to his feet as he rounds the corner, as colorful language flows from his mouth. "Sh!t, nobody pays good enough to die for no reason! The hell's your problem!? I ain't done nothing to you!"

Out of sight, the man's voice continues to call for help, though so far there is no response from the rest of the dungeon.

Map updated

Show
    Orik broke line of sight before Arcturus would cast his spell on round 1. Players to act.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 1

"Hells! My apologies, I thought I had him under control." Arcturus grimaces as he dismisses the spell, allowing his allies clear passage after the foe. "Shall we give chase?"

Show
    Standard action to dismiss Grease, then move up to V/25 or so and look around.

Show
    Arcturus
    Condition None
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Inwardly, Vintr almost kicked the wall in frustration - he couldn't even hit a downed opponent! Outwardly, his jaw tensed and he moved forward, whispering, "Even in 'submission' he continues to call for reinforcements. If they arrive, his assessment may change. We must deal with this."

Show
    Around the corner with a move action, taking 10 on Perception (18)
    Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

In his haste to follow, Vintr almost collides with the man. For half a heartbeat they stare uneasily at each other while both decided what to do next.

Spoiler: Movement resolution
    Show
    Orik only barely had time to break line of sight. He stands in square U25, with Vintr in V25. Perception is unneeded, So Vintr still has a standard action.

23. - Top - End - #83

That was not the reaction Ely had expected. She had hoped the guard would seize the opportunity to switch sides, rather than double down on fleeing. It was... disappointing.

Vintr was right, though; if nothing else, the mercenary had to be subdued. And he had been offered a chance at surrendering peacefully and refused, so...

She followed the monk, her scarf coming off in a single, easy motion of colour.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to V24, behind Vintr. Think the grease is dispelled by now, but if I'm wrong, let me know and I'll roll as appropriate. Don't think I can hit around the corner of the hallway, so quickdrawing the scarf, and I think that's all I'm capable of. I need more characters options
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Blinking in surprise, Vintr jumped up and to the left, planting a foot on the wall as he tried to propel himself over the mercenary and get behind him. With hands raised defensively, "I would prefer you withdraw without further violence, but continued attempts to raise the alarm will be met with swift response. As you have alluded to, wealth is worthless if you are dead. Will you yield?"

Show
    Probably fail, but trying an Acro roll past him to close off retreat. Acrobatics - (1d20+9)[15] vs his CMD+5. Failure means I lose the action and he gets an AOO
    Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5

EDIT: And another fail. Not sure why I even try cool stuff with this roller.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-09-09 at 12:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the man start to get away, Cade swears vociferously and starts forward after the others. Seeing first Vintr, then Ely close the gap at the corner, the scholar quickly deduces where their new enemy must be standing. Still, there's nothing for it. He can't close in with his rapier, and the corner is a relative unknown. So he does the only thing he can: steps up behind the half-elf and does a quick scan of his surroundings to ensure nothing comes out to flank them in response to the mercenary's shouts.

Spoiler: Cade, Round 2
    Show
    This round Cade is going to move to V21, and make a Perception check to see if anything's been stirred up by Orik's shouting for help. Since 5' corridors are the bane of adventuring parties everywhere, he'll play rear guard for the time being.

Perception: (1d20+12)[18]

Edit: a nice and lovely 6!
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-11 at 07:02 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

"That depends!" the man retorts. "Are you gonna stop trying to kill me?! As Vintr tries to slide past him in the narrow hallway, he quickly comes to regret the decision. With speed that almost defies reason, the man drops the blade of his weapon into Vintr's path, and from there into the Elf's body. The expulsion of air from his lungs is audible, as Vintr begins struggling to remain upright (Vintr takes 17 damage).

Instead of pressing his advantage, the man steps away from Vintr, now readying a broad turtle-shell shield in his other hand. His blade remains leveled towards Vintr, its point a more than insignificant reminder of what he's capable of. His chiseled face splits into a wry smirk. "Maybe you aughta yield?"

Map updated

Show
    So that AoO hurt Vintr. A lot.

It wasn't a crit, though it was near max damage. Your turn.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arcturus begins fumbling for the curative wand at his belt as soon as he see Vintr take a terrible blow. That man's reflexes are much too fast!!! He hisses loudly to get his ally's attention before passing the wand forward. Obscured as he is by the corner, all the rest he can do is to call out a challenge to their foe:

"You are making a terrible mistake - we've rigged the whole compound to collapse in minutes! Give up now and we'll let you walk out alive!"

In a lower voice, he quickly confers with Cade: "I haven't seen any way yet to get around behind him - have you??"

Show
    Probably a move action to retrieve the wand of cure light wounds and then a standard action to pass/toss it to either Vintr or Ely (whoever wants it). I think that's all of Arcturus' actions, except that he will also 5ft step back to V/22.

The speech is mostly just fluff, but if there would be a mechanical opportunity to attempt a Bluff, here's a roll: (1d20+8)[10]

Show
    Arcturus
    Condition None
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2017-09-15 at 09:08 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr grunted, reaching down to staunch his wounds. Raising a bloodied hand, he stared at the man with a flat look, barely able to stand. "I admit -unh - that you were given little chance to withdraw. However - sss - you are the only one to draw blood. If we withdraw will you let us go in peace?" . Vintr whispered a word of power to flow healing energy into his wounds, then moved away if possible.
    Show
    Cast spontaneous cure light wound (standard), empowered (swift), move back if possible to the open area (move)CLW - (1d8+3)[4]x1.5
    Show
    AC: 22 HPs: 6/17 Init: +8
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Blessings 3/4; Fervor 1/3; Arcane Pool 1/2

EDIT: ... damn.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-09-15 at 08:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

The man's eyes narrow. "For now," he answers, without elaboration.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"None as of yet," Cade says to the sorcerer, his eyes continually wandering over the various entrances and exits into the main chamber the group was standing in only minutes ago. "I await something to answer the man's summons, even though it sounds as though a ceasefire has been achieved."

Looking down the corridor, the investigator sees a wounded Vintr. "Do you require more assistance? I'm sure we can collectively stop you from falling on your face this time." He starts to walk down, making sure to keep a good distance between him and the former combatant, all the while surreptitiously studying the man who all but knocked Vintr down in one hit.

Show
    So... is combat over, then? Cade is going to be continually keeping an eye out for threats unless he's otherwise needed, taking 10 on Perception for a total of 22.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-17 at 09:26 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.