New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords 2: Delving Thistletop and beyond!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In answer to your question, 3SC: combat is over, at least temporarily, if no one approaches the empty square between Vintr and Orik. He does not approach nor press any attack against Vintr, but also does not immediately retreat (having used his actions for the round, of course) if approached.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

A ceasefire was probably the best that could be asked for, especially given Vintr's wounds. Ely maintained her position, warily eyeing the mercenary.

Spoiler
    Show
    So...yah, not doing anything, holding position, whatever. I do have some attacks of opportunity, in case Orik decides to attack instead, but otherwise, just staying put.

AoO (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage (1d6+4)[7]

AoO (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage (1d6+4)[8]

AoO (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage (1d6+4)[10]
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

For a few tense moments, the swordsman simply eyes Vintr. His eyes flicker to the corner and back a few times, clearly expecting more resistance to make its presence known. He does not, for the moment, step back into reach of Vintr (nor put Vintr back within his reach). As heartbeats tick by uncomfortably, he simply stands there, maintaining a ready stance.

Show
    Action on you all. He clearly doesn't trust you, but isn't going to be the first to attack again.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Not one to be noted for his patience, Arcturus is the first to break the uncomfortable silence as the two opposing sides finish sizing each other up in the hallway. "Fine, you want the truth?! We know a woman name Nualia is behind the attacks and goblin raids on Sandpoint, and we're here to put an end to it! The same goes for anyone and anything that gets in our way! Think hard, swordsman - whatever she's paying you isn't worth your life! This is your last chance to walk away!"

Show
    There, cards on the table! It may not have the desired result but it will move us forward, one way or the other. If possible I'd like the speech to by accompanied by an Intimidate attempt to encourage his cooperation: (1d20+11)[25].

I'm not entirely clear on the state of things w.r.t. initiative order, but Arcturus will delay until he sees Vintr has healed from the wand.
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Out of sight, Vintr accepted the proffered wand and applied it to his wounds.
    Show
    Use wand at least twice if possible ... CLW 1 - (1d8+1)[2], CLW 2 - (1d8+1)[3]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 22 HPs: 6/17 Init: +8
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Perception +8, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +9; Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    Spells: comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, read magic
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / doom, protection from evil, shield of faith
    Blessings 3/4; Fervor 1/3; Arcane Pool 1/2
    Add'l Effects: mage armor (+4 AC [armor], 1hr)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Cade and Vintr pass nervously in the narrow hallway. While Arcturus makes his statement from the entrance to the foyer, the young investigator warily rounds the curve. Now standing face to face, Cade makes no effort to hide the fact that he's sizing the man up, and the man makes no effort to hide himself.

He wears simple but well-made leathers, under a heavy hauberk of banded iron. His jawline seems to have been chiseled from stone, forming bookends of a rugged face beneath his solid dull steel cap. An impeccably shaved chin rises and falls almost imperceptibly as he takes steady, calm breaths. Despite the sudden violence, he doesn't seem shaken. He stands with the steady poise of a man strongly considering additional violence. His eyes narrow and lock with yours, and it quickly becomes impossible to be sure he's not studying you the same way you study him.

Arcturus' call draws a thin smirk to the man's narrow lips. "Is your friend finally being honest, back there?" he mutters, still not taking his eyes off of Cade. His long blade continues to sway. For a moment, the motion seems unintentional, but Cade sees through the false impression and keeps his distance.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

As Cade gets a measure of the man in front of him, the grip on his rapier tightens almost imperceptibly. He is dangerous. Perhaps a more dangerous combatant than the chieftain I killed on the floor above. He meets his opponent's gaze and doesn't let it go. Doing so serves two purposes: letting the warrior know that he's sizing him up, and letting him see the ironclad will in his own eyes. Nualia will fall today, one way or another, and Cade will be there to watch it happen.

"He is not my friend," the young scholar says of Arcturus with a wicked smile. "But in this instance, he speaks the truth. It is up to you to determine whether or not that truth is worth further bloodshed." He does not specify exactly whose blood will be shed.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

The retired knight

It's like waking up from a daze. In the confusion, Niccomo followed without finding an opening to reach their opponent. As the man seems to hesitate, Niccomo sheathes his blade.

"He's truthful. Listen to me."

He then tries to advances in front of Cade, but it's clear the younger man won't let him pass. Niccomo does his best to keep anger out of his voice.

"Name's Niccomo, not that you care about that. When I was your age, I was in your line of work, down South all round Cheliax. Lived to be this age because I can tell a bad hand when dealt one and when to fold. Now, I know you're weighing whether you'll survive without your boss. I have an offer for you. Walk out of here and down to Sandpoint. Once there, either you find another gig, or you don't. If you don't, when we come back, I'll talk to the mayor. Tell her we met on the road and you seem a decent strong fella. I'm certain she'll find a way to employ you. No reason for any of us to say where exactly we met, is there?"

Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+10)[23] all the while stepping in front of Orik, hoping to separate the other PC from him.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2017-09-19 at 06:03 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #99

"[/color=green]Sir...[/color]"

She fidgeted with the scarf. Her eyes keep darting, over her shoulder at Niccomo, to Vintr's wound, then back to Orik. Being cautious wasn't unwarranted; the man had attacked them, after all. Except, he'd attacked them after they had chased him, and the party had chased him because she'd botched the speech that Niccomo was now giving him...

"...Sir Niccomo is a respected member of the town," she said slowly, emphasizing the old knight's title. "And after everything that's happened, the mayor will probably be looking for men with experience with a sword..."

She trailed off, letting the implication dangle itself in front of the mercenary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another to Niccomo's diplomacy (1d20+7)[18]
    Last edited by Quiver; 2017-09-19 at 07:19 PM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Frowning at the wand, Vintr tapped himself twice more, then murmured in elven, "Are we done here? Time is wasting ...". As the healing energies washed over him and healed all his wounds, Vintr put the wand away and prepared for finding Nualia
    Show
    Use wand you've more ... sigh CMW - (1d8+1)[8], CMW - (1d8+1)[5]
    Show
    AC: 22 HPs: 17/17 Init: +8
    F +3 R +5 W +5
    Perception +8, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +9; Darkvision 60'; Light Sensitivity
    guidance, light, spark, detect magic / doom, protection from evil, shield of faith
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-09-23 at 02:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

"Frankly," the man begins. "I don't trust any of you. Your friends back there tried to jump me, did jump me, while I was down, no less, and only stopped advancing when I near took his leg off." He glares at Cade, unable to easily see and address Niccomo directly.

"I ain't wondering if I'll survive without Nualia. I survived plenty without her, I'll do it again when we're done." He smirks. "I'm wondering what the hell you fools thing you're going to accomplish. That lady ain't hardly needed any body guarding since I've been here, and I'm pretty sure I could handle any one or two of you without breaking a sweat."

"Your respected townsfolk might well not make it back to Sandpoint, at this rate..."

He continues to watch Cade, unwilling to give the party any space in the hallway, but not apparently eager to press his own position.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Niccomo puts a hand on Cade's shoulder, and whispers into his ear. "Back down, trust me, I know his type, I may still talk him out of all this. And if not, you'll get the bloodshed you're asking for."

Whether the younger man let's him pass, Niccomo goes on. "My friends did attack you, but frankly, we're right in the middle of storming your friends' base. What can I say, frontal assaults make people edgy. No harm done anyway, you're still up and talking. Falling back from Thistletop is out of the question for us. And I'm willing to believe fighting you wouldn't do us any good. Seems we're at a dead-end. I made you my proposal. What would it take to convince you to get out of our way? What do you propose?"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arcturus stifles his annoyance with difficulty and bites back a stinging rejoinder as the older knight takes the lead in the unusual negotiation. For the moment, he has to accept that his own attempts at subterfuge and diplomacy have failed them. His displeasure with this fact is evident to everyone in the hallway, however.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With his wounds heald, Vintr moved to listen down the corridor that led to the ornate and disturbing door. He waited patiently for the others to join him, unwilling to continue bantering with the mercenary.
    Show
    Ready to press on ... didn't want to be out of spells by the time we ran into Nualia, but I guess dem's da breaks ...
    Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

The man grunts. "Ain't nothing back here but bedrooms, old man." He makes no effort to offer proof, nor give way for the party to verify his claims. Blade still held in a loose but confident grip, he stands his ground to Cade and Niccomo. However, you get the impression he's speaking the truth.

His eyes betray some internal struggle, though the details of the man's deliberation remain a mystery.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Cade pauses when Niccomo speaks to him directly, his eyes only flickering once to the elder knight before returning to target. "He's telling the truth," the young man says, putting an end to his bout of silence. "I'm reasonably certain - about 93% certain, to be exact. He is maintaining the right amount of eye contact, his voice has not wavered, and his body language has not changed to adapt to any new paradigm of falsehood. If my estimation of him is correct, then Vintr has the right idea and we ought not continue this path any farther. Nualia is likely in the other direction."

Flicking his rapier idly, the investigator turns to leave. "For what it's worth," Cade calls over his shoulder to the heavily armed mercenary that was formerly standing in his way. "the way out is open now. We might all die here, but there's no reason for you to do the same. If I were you, I would leave this place behind. Take whomever else you please: we're only here for Nualia. Go back to Magnimar... or was it Korvosa? I never was all that adept at telling their metallurgical techniques apart."

Show
    Getting a little bit into the 'cold read' part of things Bink, I hope that's okay from his Perception and Sense Motive checks. I know Cade has no social skills of any kind, so I'm not making one here, but hopefully this will count for something.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-28 at 11:04 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arcturus moves away with Vintr and Cade, eager to put the mercenary behind them. "Let's hope you're right about this-" he whispers to the latter as they walk, "the last thing we need is for him to discover principles and flank us just as we engage Nualia!"
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2017-09-30 at 01:31 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr glanced down at his clothes, still soaked in blood. Looking back at Arcturus with a slat gaze. If you have a better alternative, I am willing by to listen. However, given his skill, I would anticipate one of use will not survive a battle with him while he controls the terrain."

Vint led the others to the door he found earlier, glancing at the others to see what preparations they made.
    Show
    Moving forward to the fancy, evil door.
    Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Orik continues to wage internal war. He offers Niccomo a brief, curt nod of respect as the older man gives a final glance before walking away. The distinct thuds of metal-clad boots on stone heard before are conspicuously absent, as the warrior makes no effort to immediately follow the group, or leave his position of relative control.

Vintr, Arcturus and the others reconvene outside the obscenely decorated doors, constantly casting glances to the south, and listening for footsteps that don't seem to come. The faint echoes of waves yet penetrate the shoddy workmanship of the eastern door, while silence pervades both the northern exit and the double-doors leading west...

Map updated

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Niccomo returns Orik's nod as they take their leave.

Once they reach the double door, Niccomo gives it a long look. "Shall we try to crack it open and give a peek inside?"

Show
    How do they open? Are there hinges on our side? Is there a handle? A latch? Outside the decorations, any thing of note? Are the decorations used to hide something? (like a mechanism or anything.)
    Perception - (1d20+9)[18], including Castellan's +2 on Urban Terrain.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2017-10-02 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Formatting

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As the party reaches the double doors, Arcturus pauses to recite a brief incantation, casting a spell to sharpen his own senses. He joins Niccomo in studying the exterior of the doors.
    Spoiler: Spellcasting & Perception
    Show
    Cast Heightened Awareness (+2 Perception and trained Knowledge, 30 min duration).

Listen at door with Perception (1d20+1)[15].

Would also like to use Knowledge: Geography (from bardic knowledge) to see if Arcturus can infer anything about their positioning from the sounds of waves to the east: (1d20+3)[15]

"Are we agreed not to pursue either of the side passages yet?" He indicates the northern and eastern doors. "If I were leading this bunch, behind these doors is where I'd be. Very well then - I'll just stand back while you open it." The mage allows the older knight to take his place in front of the door.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

She felt a little guilty, pricking her ears for the sound of footsteps. After all, the foundation of any relationship had to be trust. Not trusting the man to keep his (implied) word, or expecting guards at their back...

Ely frowned, twisting the scarf in her hands as the others looked over the door, trying not to focus on the pictures carved into it, and took up a position alongside the Niccomo.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

In answer to the questions, Vintr nodded to the other two corridors and whispered, "I have not scouted those two corridors. Based on Cade's previous investigation, the eastern one seems likely to lead to the ocean; however, I do not know what the northern one holds. Do you wish me to check them?"

Show
    Vintr is willing to do whatever. If the decision is to check the other corridors (or we open this door), here's a couple of rolls. Stealth - (1d20+10)[13], Perception - (1d20+8)[12]
    Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

"The hedge magician is correct," Cade says evenly as the group comes to the doors. "If we can, we ought to try and explore one of the other immediately adjacent passages. There was one just south of these doors that we could explore."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-10-03 at 12:03 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Niccomo nods to Cade. "Alright then," he whispers. Putting a hand on the Vintr's shoulder, he adds: "I trust you'll take the lead again."

Show
    Agreeing with more exploration.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2017-10-03 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Formatting

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    In the interest of expedience, I will post a few more locations on the map.

In addition, I've described a few places on the map.

After a few minutes of careful investigation, the party begins to explore the other avenues. East of the double-doors, the shoddy doorway opens into natural unworked stone. Almost immediately, Cade gives a curt nod, affirming your suspicions that this door leads to the ocean, and the threat he noticed several minutes before. Another leg of unworked cavern splits off to the North, for the moment holding its secrets1.

The northern door holds more unusual secrets. The lower four feet (or so) of all four walls of this square-shaped room are covered in crude drawings of mud, blood, and paint. Goblins of all shape and size war with the hated humans, dogs, and horses in an endless sea of violence. Teeth and dog slicers are often tinted with red, testament to the illustrated wielder's acumen.

On the northern wall, however, a continuous detailed image covers floor to ceiling. The precision and detail immediately set it apart from the scrawling of Thistletop's current residents. On the wall, Thistletop is displayed in cross-section, the wooden stockade perched atop the oddly head-shaped island like a crown. A cave has been drawn into the center of the image, and looming inside is what appears to be an immense, muscular Goblin with snake-like eyes and a wicked curved blade in each taloned hand. After a few seconds of careful observation, it occurs to Cade that if the drawing's scale is to be believed, the figure must measure nearly 30 feet in height2.

Map updated

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Niccomo has been waiting behind while others went scouting. Once they're back, he eagerly asks them: "Anything interesting?"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"There was something," Cade says when he returns after inspecting the carvings and having drawn a few quick sketches in his notebook. "The goblins have defaced a room of murals and added their own war paintings, in their own typical style. However, an older map of Thistletop seems to depict a monster buried within its core. Given what we already know of Nualia's plans and her presence here, it would hardly be a leap of logic to extrapolate that said being is none other than the same Malfeshnekor that Tsuto mentioned in his missive."

The young man pauses, his brow troubled with several more implications. "Whatever power built this place long ago - and make no mistake, it was far greater than any goblin - must have left Malfeshnekor behind. I have a few theories as to why, but nothing that can be substantiated just yet. But what is clear to me now is the nature of the threat we face: it must be a barghest, a fiendish shapechanger that sometimes takes the form of a goblin. What's more, given the scale at which he was made, Malfeshnekor must be among one of the more powerful breeds, grown strong off of the blood of mortals."

"There was also a door that continued onwards. I suggest we explore that northernmost corridor before breaching the doors. There could well be more answers we seek, or it could be a secondary way in behind this portal."

Show
    To put it in game parlance, a greater barghest is a CR 7 monster, capable of devouring pretty much everyone in Sandpoint, especially if it's at the head of a goblin tribe.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-10-05 at 10:59 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Vintr listened quietly, having seen the murals Cade spoke of. However, he did have a question for his companions. "Are you implying the beast lies slumbering within this structure? Or must it be summoned forth?"

When the group was ready to investigate further, Vintr would take the lead.
    Show
    Chat then scout. Taking 10 on both Stealth (20) and Perception (18)
    Show
    F +3 R +5 W +5

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

"That is unclear as of yet, without seeing more of Thistletop's inner workings firsthand. But one could assume that if Malfeshnekor were here physically, Nualia would have unbound him before now. It's entirely possible that there is some old magic or device here keeping him in. Either way, he seems to be associated with this place in particular."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.