New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Do demons/devills dissipate, after they are killed in Material plane?

So, I have a situation where dragon intends to hire a bunch of devils as his strike force. I'd like to know what happens to devils corpses?

thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Do demons/devills dissipate, after they are killed in Material plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinjata View Post
    So, I have a situation where dragon intends to hire a bunch of devils as his strike force. I'd like to know what happens to devils corpses?

thanks
    If they aren't killed on their own plane their bodies disappear and return there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Do demons/devills dissipate, after they are killed in Material plane?

Given the soul-body singularity of outsiders and their extraplanar resurrection mechanic, the bodies should probably disappear in some way, how is up to you. Dissipate, ignite spontaneously until nothing but an awful smell and whatever items they were carrying is left, melting down into dirty, useless oil, your pick.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Pinjata View Post

thanks

Eternal Evil. Outside the Abyss, death is a minor nuisance that no demon fears. Mundane weapons can't stop these fiends, and many demons are resistant to the energy of the most potent spells. When a lucky hero manages to drop a demon in combat, the fiend dissolves into foul ichor. It then instantly reforms in the Abyss, its mind and essence intact even as its hatred is inflamed. The only way to truly destroy a demon is to seek it in the
    Abyss and kill it there.
    If it dies outside the Nine Hells, a devil disappears in a cloud of sulfurous smoke or dissolves into a pool of ichor, instantly returning to its home layer, where it reforms at full strength
    From the MM
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2017-06-26 at 02:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Specifically (as stated in the monster manual) demons dissolve into ichor, while devils either dissolve into ichor or dissipate in a puff of sulfuerous smoke