New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Talk About Horror!

We can't diverge yet, no one's brought up The Witch! Easily the best horror film of 2016, make sure to turn your volume up.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

RIP Tobe Hooper. I'm not a fan of slashers, but Texas Chainsaw is one of the exceptions. And, of course, Poltergeist. There is some question about how much of that is Hooper and how much is Spielberg, but it's an amazing movie and still holds up today. Fun fact, it was created from bits cut out of the ET script, which was originally an invasion movie called Night Terrors!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

I'd love to see a movie about an honest to God Wendigo or Skin Walkers. Ravenous sort of gave me the Wendigo, but I want a legit monster movie, and as far as I know, no one has done actual Skin Walkers
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #64

I haven't seen it, but this sounds promising, and to you interests:
    https://www.amazon.com/Skinwalker-Cu.../dp/B000H1RFUU
    Also, not as good as Ravenous, but I enjoyed this one:
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0275067/

As an aside, cautiously optimistic about IT opening next week. I'm avoiding reviews, but early word seems to be positive

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I haven't seen it, but this sounds promising, and to you interests:
    https://www.amazon.com/Skinwalker-Cu.../dp/B000H1RFUU
    Also, not as good as Ravenous, but I enjoyed this one:
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0275067/

As an aside, cautiously optimistic about IT opening next week. I'm avoiding reviews, but early word seems to be positive
    The one trailer i saw had me going "Woah... way to use jump scares appropriately."

Spoiler: If you want a slight spoiler-y thing
    Show

I understand its basically the original but with better effects and just smoothed over.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I'd love to see a movie about an honest to God Wendigo or Skin Walkers. Ravenous sort of gave me the Wendigo, but I want a legit monster movie, and as far as I know, no one has done actual Skin Walkers
    Well its more of an interactive movie, but Until Dawn has an interesting take on Wendigos. Could always watch a lets play to bypass the QTEs and just have it in straight up video form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

7. - Top - End - #67

Yeah, I'm with you.
    Monster movies are definitely my favourite, and we could use more variety.

Personally, I feel like the typical haunting/demon possession/psycho killer has gotten a bit stale. We need something fresh to shake things up.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you.

Personally, I feel like the typical haunting/demon possession/psycho killer has gotten a bit stale. We need something fresh to shake things up.
    That may have to do with the fact that they all feel like carbon copies of Amityville Horror/Poltergeist or Psycho. Seriously Hollywood, you can be different!
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I'm with you.

Same. There has been some interesting things done with demon possession lately, though, at least.

You know what would have been cool? If they'd done Cabin in the Woods like they did Cluedo.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If they'd released multiple different movies, except instead of different endings, like Cluedo, they had different middles, with different monsters to get killed by. I felt like they picked the most boring option, would have been cool to have some choice.

10. - Top - End - #70

Not too into possession movies, or monsters (though plenty of exceptions for both), but I'll take any and every ghost movie that you throw my way! And cosmic or folk horror? Sign me up!

Netflix just added Little Evil, by the director of Tucker and Dale. Same style horror comedy, but about, well, the Omen. Good cast, some funny lines, one sort of horrible portrayal of a lesbian couple (not bad characters, but plays on the "which one is the husband" ignorance). Overall, cute, funny, worth watching if you dig horror comedy.

Cabin In The Woods is one of my favorites from the past 10 years, and the fact that the chosen monster was arguably the most boring, generic choice was sort of the point. The movie sort of says "I hate modern horror movies. I like 70s/80s horror. Nostalgia aside, those sorta sucked too. Let's try to do better"

11. - Top - End - #71

Don't forget the horror subgenre of the Grande Dame Guignol, also known as psycho-biddy, hagsploitation and hag horror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

i am never ever going to watch babadook and exorcist ever again. no thank you

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

look for the movie "The Last Winter" for wendigos. Therer's others but not many good ones.

Yeah, I'm with you.

Look for Ava's Possessions. In the films universe demonic possession is an allegory for alcoholism, and has just as prominent a place in society.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2017-09-07 at 12:46 AM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

There was a movie called Skinwalkers, though it was just about really crappy werewolves.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-09-07 at 01:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinwalkers_(2002_film) the pbs movie features a mystery about a potential skinwalker
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    There was a movie called Skinwalkers, though it was just about really crappy werewolves.
    Well, that's what Skinwalkers more or less are. Though they can turn into other animals as well.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

17. - Top - End - #77

so, yeah, IT. Very very very good. A reminder that big budget horror can sometimes still get it. A+ score too; the guy who did it also did the upcoming Blade Runner sequel. I was wondering how they were going to handle the second half of the book, because they didn't advertise it as "part 1". The answer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    the end title said "IT: Chapter 1". The last "Surprise! Not the whole story!" I can think of like that was the Bakshi Lord Of The Rings. Advertised as the whole story. Clearly was not. I think the surprise (if you haven't read the book of course) worked a little better here, because after seeming to defeat Pennywise, the movie hits you with the fact that it isn't over. So a neat trick rather than just saying Part 1 from the get-go.

Anyway, yeah, go see IT. I say this as a Tim Curry fanboy (Legend is my all time favorite movie), in every way this is better than the TV version. As it should be; how they thought they could do that story for TV is beyond me (though they did a fairly good job of it)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Well, that's what Skinwalkers more or less are. Though they can turn into other animals as well.
    Uh, no. Skinwalkers have more in common with Hags than werewolves. They can create horrible weather phenomenon, poison clouds using bone meal, create plagues, curse people and then turn into animals.

Oh and they are stupidly evil, like, to make the poison cloud they use bones from a baby.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-09-10 at 07:42 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Uh, no. Skinwalkers have more in common with Hags than werewolves. They can create horrible weather phenomenon, poison clouds using bone meal, create plagues, curse people and then turn into animals.

Oh and they are stupidly evil, like, to make the poison cloud they use bones from a baby.
    Navajo witches want to wipe out the Navajo don't they?
    Edit-
    Yes, Navajo versions of witches are technically people who want to wipe out the Navajo. Reminds me of hags.
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2017-09-10 at 08:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Tonight, I watched a fun little Canadian horror comedy on Netflix called Patchwork. It's about three young women who are vivisected and reassembled as a single being (all three of them are conscious and capable of controlling different parts of the body). They then seek out whoever did this to them, as well as go on a bloody rampage involving various men who wronged them. It's very goofy and it's quite gory, but what I found really interesting is how it plays with the viewer's expectations.

Also, an owl-cat shows up. FLY ARCHIMEDES!
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-09-28 at 02:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Tonight, I watched a fun little Canadian horror comedy on Netflix called Patchwork. It's about three young women who are vivsected and reassembled as a single being (all three of them are conscious and capable of controlling different parts of the body). They then seek out whoever did this to them, as well as go on a bloody rampage involving various men who wronged them. It's very goofy and it's quite gory, but what I found really interesting is how it plays with the viewer's expectations.

Watched this one over the weekend, it was quite delightful, so much ham. I'm very impressed with whoever was playing the reassembled being, those body movements were terribly uncanny and very convincing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

22. - Top - End - #82

Tonight, I watched a fun little Canadian horror comedy on Netflix called Patchwork. It's about three young women who are vivsected and reassembled as a single being (all three of them are conscious and capable of controlling different parts of the body). They then seek out whoever did this to them, as well as go on a bloody rampage involving various men who wronged them. It's very goofy and it's quite gory, but what I found really interesting is how it plays with the viewer's expectations.

That sounds very cool. Haven't noticed it on Australian Netflix yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

I, too, have seen IT. For the most part I didn't find it especially scary. I suppose apparently being one of the few people who isn't afraid of clowns might help there. But I did enjoy it a lot, it was very fun. And the That Big Jump Scare was really well done. And the

Spoiler
    Show
    using dead children as ventriloquist dolls

very creepy and disturbing.

I'd like to see a movie that does a bit of something like you see in Fight Club and The Exorcist iirc and the Paranormal Activity movies. Every now and then I see a movie where I keep watching the background expecting to see something weird going on, but there never is, or not what I'm thinking of. I don't really mean subliminal images like in Fight Club and The Exorcist, and not just things moving around in Paranormal Activity. I'm talking things melting or twisting, pictures changing, clocks going anti-clockwise, things changing colour between cuts, oversized bugs crawling around... Think a bit of Dali leaking into the backgrounds. I think it'd be particularly good in a movie that has something to do with the crumbling or blurring of reality or slipping sanity.

Annnd finally, what's your go-to Halloween movie, since that's coming up? I'm a big fan of Trick R Treat, which never got a proper run at the cinema. It's an interlocking anthology movie, quite dark, very funny, and always interesting.

23. - Top - End - #83

Trick R Treat is a wonderful film, and doesn't get mentioned as often as it should! I'll also add in Halloween 3 which, for all it's flaws, is actually the only one in the series I like. I'll agree the first is a better film. Just not one I enjoy. Other than that, well, I watch horror movies all year round, so I never make a special effort to watch them around Halloween.

However, haunted houses are only generally open around Halloween, and I love those. I don't make it out to as many as I used to, mostly because I do music and sound for a one night private haunted house event. It's for kids, so not as scary as I'd like (though we get our share of screams), but it's pretty big and we usually go all out thematically. Last year, since pokemon go was the big thing, we created a card game that the kids would collect cards, battling against the monsters in the maze to get better ones, and fight against the "boss" characters in the final room. Win or lose, they would summon a giant puppet dragon head that burst through a false wall. It was fantastic! I based the music around pokemon themes, though with a crowd that young, not sure if anyone picked up on that. Made me happy anyway!

But anyway, I digress. That sort of reality crumbling horror film is something I would love! That sort of subtle background surrealism would work well for a weird fiction/folk horror town-with-a-dark-secret type film. I've also always liked images that linger in mirrors just a moment too long, or something moving behind a character's back. Poltergeist 3 was great for that (if not a lot else).

I'd also like to see something like that in a narrative VR experience, where if you look forward the way you're "supposed" to, everything is normal, but if you turn off the rails, then things start warping and getting weird. Particularly with the realization that the scary stuff is always there, waiting where you can't see it.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I'd like to see a movie that does a bit of something like you see in Fight Club and The Exorcist iirc and the Paranormal Activity movies. Every now and then I see a movie where I keep watching the background expecting to see something weird going on, but there never is, or not what I'm thinking of. I don't really mean subliminal images like in Fight Club and The Exorcist, and not just things moving around in Paranormal Activity. I'm talking things melting or twisting, pictures changing, clocks going anti-clockwise, things changing colour between cuts, oversized bugs crawling around... Think a bit of Dali leaking into the backgrounds. I think it'd be particularly good in a movie that has something to do with the crumbling or blurring of reality or slipping sanity.
    There's a scene in Evil Dead 2 where it's basically this (the furniture suddenly decides to become animated) which I think is probably the best scene in the film.

Aside from the more famous Japanese horror films that have been remade in the West (The Ringu, Ju-on, etc), there's a whole bunch of weird Japanese body horror films (Tetsuo is probably the classic one). One I forget the name of, has a new experimental drug which has the side effect of causing pain to be interpreted as pleasure, leading to a scene where a Japanese housewife covers her hand in batter, rolls it in breadcrumb then deep fries it with a look of eager expectation.

Generally I prefer horror films with a slow creepy build up - The Ninth Gate is a great example of this and the first Silent Hill film is very good for a video game adaptation. The first half of Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp is quite good up as it's entirely explainable until he's hacking the tree roots and blood is spurting out.

Korean horror films also tend to be quite weird and the ones I've seen incorporate humour to counter balance and emphasise the horror (K-Point which has a South Korean army squad sent to investigate strange transmissions from an isolated area).
    There's also a couple internet famous K-horror manhwa (I'll link them if anybody here hasn't yet read them).

25. - Top - End - #85

I had a kick for a while where I was watching all the Asian horror I could get a hold of. The main one I really remember is translated as Hansel and Gretel. Surreal, with a pretty abrupt tone shift towards the end.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest, I can't really watch most Japanese horror and the above example is why. I don't want to watch someone deep fry their hand. That's not scary, that's disgusting and it's why I don't like Hostel or Saw (I give Saw a bit more slack cuz it has a solid plot)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest, I can't really watch most Japanese horror and the above example is why. I don't want to watch someone deep fry their hand. That's not scary, that's disgusting and it's why I don't like Hostel or Saw (I give Saw a bit more slack cuz it has a solid plot)
    Well as I said, it's a part of the more extreme end of the Japanese horror genre and there are more nuanced plot based ones (some of which even haven't been remade yet!). Assuming every Japanese horror film is like that, is a bit like assuming every western horror film is on par with Human Centipede 2.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well as I said, it's a part of the more extreme end of the Japanese horror genre and there are more nuanced plot based ones (some of which even haven't been remade yet!). Assuming every Japanese horror film is like that, is a bit like assuming every western horror film is on par with Human Centipede 2.
    I wasn't assuming they were all like that, I just swear every one I see recommended is like that. It's really weird
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

The pleasure/pain film is Naked Blood. I like some of the extreme gore films (Tokyo Gore Police is a favorite, though that leans more like Tetsuo in the cyberpunk/body horror direction). In high school I was really into no budget German splatter films. My favorite title: "Violent S**t 2: Mother Hold My Hand" though the third in the series was the "best". Serial killer raises an army, also there are zombies. And ninja. Explosions, over the top gore, and not taking itself very seriously, but including one scene that even I find distressing. It's sometimes called Zombie Doom, I wouldn't recommend it to most people, but I enjoyed it.

Similar concept to Naked Blood, and if you have a strong stomach, there's a french film called Trouble Every Day. Experimental drugs give a couple increased sex drive....and cannibalistic urges. Mostly comes across as a drama, a really intense and disturbing film (see above, strong stomach). I watched it because one of my favorite bands, tindersticks, did the score. They Did A Bunch Of Claire Denis film scores and I can't recommend them enough.

Interested in any recommendations for subtle J-Horror, I also seem to end up with mostly the extreme end of the spectrum.

30. - Top - End - #90

I don't like torture porn either (I think Saw is clever, but still can't deal with watching it), but I love Asian Horror. There is some extreme stuff, which I haven't watched much, but there's a whole lot that's quite subtle and even cerebral.
    I recommend Hansel and Gretel that I've already mentioned, and all the classics - the Ring series, The Eye, Dark Water, the one with the sisters I'm blanking on right now (is it just Two Sisters?). One Missed Call has my very favourite horror movie death. And Spiral/Uzumaki is surreal and fun, if a flawed shadow of the manga.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2017-09-29 at 10:03 AM.