New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1491
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 20: What is your Quest?

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Ice Block is allowed, but you just can't count on always having it. You only get three options out of ten cards each draw, which isn't great odds to keep getting the same card every time. Plus falling far enough behind that you need it probably means you also need something else to catch back up, which you can't get if you need to keep picking Block.
    You're forgetting card draw (like Arcane Intellect, Novice Engineer, and even Coldlight Oracle) which gives you multiple chances to discover 3 cards. Getting one Ice Block per turn late game is very easy, at which point you become invincible, and surviving to late game is also easy thanks to Frost Nova, Doomsayer, and Reno.

And the same thing he does every night time Pinky Psyren - at least, I'd assume, I haven't seen him used. Probably because 1-mana spells aren't likely to be popular in this format. Unless Jade Druid has taken over since I played the other day, I guess.
    Actually, both decks are full of 1-mana cards - whenever you draw a card in this brawl ,you get a 1-mana spell called "Peruse" that triggers the discover effect again. It does not merely replace your draws with the discover. So I was wondering if Geist did anything with that. (Besides nuking the ones in your hand that is.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-10-14 at 12:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Peruse doesn't appear to be actually in your deck, though. It spawns in place of card draws, but your deck count obviously never actually goes down.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You're forgetting card draw (like Arcane Intellect, Novice Engineer, and even Coldlight Oracle) which gives you multiple chances to discover 3 cards. Getting one Ice Block per turn late game is very easy, at which point you become invincible, and surviving to late game is also easy thanks to Frost Nova, Doomsayer, and Reno.
    That's spending a lot of mana to get those discover chances though, since it's an extra one per Peruse used. If you're casting Arcane Intellect for example, then two Peruses, and then an Ice Block, that's eight mana down the drain already, which doesn't leave you with much to do anything else.

Actually, both decks are full of 1-mana cards - whenever you draw a card in this brawl ,you get a 1-mana spell called "Peruse" that triggers the discover effect again. It does not merely replace your draws with the discover. So I was wondering if Geist did anything with that. (Besides nuking the ones in your hand that is.)
    I was aware of Peruse, but already figured it works like Glyphstone said. The discovers are supposed to be based on what's in your deck, after all - if the Peruses were actually in there, you could discover them. And it wouldn't make sense that your deck is 10 cards and doesn't get smaller when you draw Persues.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

That's spending a lot of mana to get those discover chances though, since it's an extra one per Peruse used. If you're casting Arcane Intellect for example, then two Peruses, and then an Ice Block, that's eight mana down the drain already, which doesn't leave you with much to do anything else.
    I ran Sorcerer's Apprentice in my deck. 0 mana peruse is a bit nuts.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Bugbear in the Playground

Got there this time with half a month left. Now I can focus on studying for my exam in 2 weeks instead of spending the whole weekend grinding
    Spoiler
    Show

That board in the background is why I love Big Priest (It was only turn 5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

6. - Top - End - #1146

Looks like they stealth nerfed the Brawl to ban Gnomferatu.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, assuming you can get to turn 10 with out dying you can arcane intellect or coldlight oracle, the two discovers and play the ice block.

Time to do some math on the chances to get an ice block if you have it, cold light oracle and arcane intellect.
    7/10*6/9*5/8 chance not to get any of them or .292 chance to get none of them or .708 to get one of them. You should usually pick coldlight oracle or arcane intellect over the ice block to get ahead. You get one of those .533 of the time

You draw 2 cards that you can play but you need to get ice block and only ice block. 30% to get ice block each time for 51% of getting ice block from 2 cards. .

Odds:
    17.5% to get ice block and no more cards
    22.4% to get ice block and 1 card
    4.8% to get two ice blocks

Average .495 ice blocks a turn

If you pick ice block first
    30% to get ice block and no more cards
    17.1% to get iceblock and 1 card
    3.67% to get two iceblocks
    Average .544 ice blocks a turn

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Troll in the Playground

First "win on the first game" deck that popped into my mind was Freeze Mage.

So I threw in:
    Ice Lance
    Frostbolt
    Forgotten Torch (to get Roaring Torch)
    Evolved Kobold
    Frost Nova
    Doomsayer
    Thaurissan
    Ice Block
    Reno
    Sorcerer's apprentice

Won on my first try vs a Jade Druid who really had no hope against my deck.

Torch is kind of useless, if I were to play again I'd sub for Arcane Intellect.

Also, Quest Mage is probably even easier to pull off:

Quest
    Babbling book
    Arcane Intellect
    Coldlight Oracle

Thaurissan

Apprentice
    Antonidas

Ice Block

Either Doomsayer+Frost Nova for a generic defense, or get a second wind condition + mirror tech with Eater of Secrets + Molten Giant

Maybe the babbling book isn't even needed, since you get those Peruse spells.
    Reno?
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2017-10-14 at 01:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1149

That's (a) assuming you don't find it or a Frost Nova until the last one and (b) irrelevant because you didn't die! There's literally nothing else you need to do!

I was aware of Peruse, but already figured it works like Glyphstone said. The discovers are supposed to be based on what's in your deck, after all - if the Peruses were actually in there, you could discover them. And it wouldn't make sense that your deck is 10 cards and doesn't get smaller when you draw Persues.
    But can Geist kill the ones you've drawn? That's the question.

@Gandariel: Yeah, Jade has no hope against this. You can't die (conventionally.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

That's (a) assuming you don't find it or a Frost Nova until the last one and (b) irrelevant because you didn't die! There's literally nothing else you need to do!
    If you expect to win, yes, you do. Fatigue isn't a thing, so you won't win just by stalling. I guess your plan could be to Fireblast them down, but one turn out of the thirty you need where you fail to draw Ice Block means you're screwed, and that will probably happen over such a long period of time. And if they're Priest, Warrior, or running any sort of healing, well...
    Last edited by Zevox; 2017-10-14 at 05:44 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #1151

If you expect to win, yes, you do. Fatigue isn't a thing, so you won't win just by stalling. I guess your plan could be to Fireblast them down, but one turn out of the thirty you need where you fail to draw Ice Block means you're screwed, and that will probably happen over such a long period of time. And if they're Priest, Warrior, or running any sort of healing, well...
    The win condition is the easiest part, anything will do. You could win with Arcane Missiles, or just last until they concede. The version I saw used Flamewakers, which deal free damage every time you make yourself invulnerable and un-attackable.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground

The win condition is the easiest part, anything will do. You could win with Arcane Missiles, or just last until they concede. The version I saw used Flamewakers, which deal free damage every time you make yourself invulnerable and un-attackable.
    But if you're spending a lot of mana getting to Ice Blocks, you're leaving yourself with little to use those other cards. Flamewaker couldn't even be cast in the same turn as Intellect + 2 Peruse + Block, and even if you get the block earlier, it's not doing a lot if your opponent has gotten too far ahead of you, which they will after a couple of turns of you needing to just dig for Ice Blocks. Missiles could, but against an opponent spending their mana on building a board, would likely just hit random minions and maybe kill a weakened or small one if you're lucky. And again, with low-damage things like those, against anyone running any healing or armor gain you're screwed.

And why would they concede? They need only last until you get a less than lucky turn. Maybe some would do it out of finding the match boring, but that's a pretty crappy way to win I'd think.

Really, the thing about this Brawl is that while you can have any given card a lot more frequently than in a normal game, you still can't have it 100% of the time. You can't just build a deck around the idea of playing one card repeatedly every turn. Better to build it around a set of cards that synergize well with each other and take advantage of the discover mechanics to have on-curve plays every turn, or assemble combos more frequently than you can in normal games. I played a Paladin deck earlier that played a Control game, intending to win with Uther and Garrison Commander to make summoning the Horsemen easy, but found that just being able to fish out Pyromancer + Equality pretty consistently was potent enough to win many matches against the zoo-ish decks I wound up facing.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2017-10-14 at 06:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Looks like they stealth nerfed the Brawl to ban Gnomferatu.
    No such luck, I just paired with someone who had it in their deck. They got two out before conceding since my 8/3 Mana Worm was ruining their day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Gnomeferatu getting a bit lucky is an effective way for a deck to deal with certain strategies (death knight priest most notably) in a class that otherwise lacks a real answer to that problem.
    Meh, it's just another mill card, not an 'answer', except insofar as it can hose combo decks with dumb luck, as if this game wasn't already festooned with dumb luck.

Skulking Geist, similarly, was printed as an answer to Jade Idol for every class. It's a very poor card in terms of stats for cost, it gets run because the effect it's offering is so critical to counter certain strategies such as Jade and inner fire priest to a lesser extent.
    It's a badly designed card to counteract an even more badly designed card. Jade, and infinite Jade in particular, is just far too high value, and is actually so incredibly broken that my suspicion is that it won't be driven out of the meta by power creep until Jade is relegated to Wild.

15. - Top - End - #1155

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    No such luck, I just paired with someone who had it in their deck. They got two out before conceding since my 8/3 Mana Worm was ruining their day.
    I'm very confused then. I tried to put it in my deck and it won't even show up in my library.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'm very confused then. I tried to put it in my deck and it won't even show up in my library.
    Is it possible Blizzard’s fix wasn’t to ban the card, but to remove it from being added to future decks? Is that even a thing they can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #1157

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    Is it possible Blizzard’s fix wasn’t to ban the card, but to remove it from being added to future decks? Is that even a thing they can do?
    Maybe it was banned, but the software doesn't read current decklists. It's such a rare circumstance (banning a card from a Brawl mid-Brawl), that I doubt it's worth coding for.

18. - Top - End - #1158

But if you're spending a lot of mana getting to Ice Blocks, you're leaving yourself with little to use those other cards.
    Apprentice and Thaurissian are also in the deck.

(EDIT: Thinking about it further, you could probably go off even faster with Molten Reflection... *goes to tinker*)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-10-16 at 02:21 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Fun decks I had this brawl (I really enjoyed it and am sad to see it gone)

Spoiler: Quest Mage
    Show
    • Open the Waygate
    • Sorcerer's Apprentice
    • Primordial Glyph
    • Arcane Intellect
    • Ice Block
    • Frost Nova
    • Molten Reflection
    • Acolyte of Pain
    • Polymorph
    • Blizzard

Spoiler: Yogg Druid
    Show
    • Innervate
    • Wild Growth
    • Wrath
    • Jade Blossom
    • Grove Tender
    • Astral Communion
    • Mire Keeper
    • Swipe
    • Nourish
    • Yogg Saron, Hope's End

Spoiler: Overload Burn Shaman
    Show
    • Lightning Bolt
    • Tunnel Trogg
    • Bloodmage Thalnos
    • Crackle
    • Jade Claws
    • Lava Shock
    • Lava Burst
    • Unbound Elemental
    • Jade Lightning
    • Snowfury Giant

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground

Messed with the good ol' Anyfin Paladin, probably not the optimum deck, but wow is it fun not having to worry as much about topdeck screw.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Troll in the Playground

New patch out.

For those min-maxers out there, on October 24th, they're going to force every arena deck to retire, give you the rewards, and give you a free arena ticket. So, to mix-max, you play arena until you get 2 losses, then sit. You get a free reward at that tier and then get a refund of your arena ticket.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    New patch out.

For those min-maxers out there, on October 24th, they're going to force every arena deck to retire, give you the rewards, and give you a free arena ticket. So, to mix-max, you play arena until you get 2 losses, then sit. You get a free reward at that tier and then get a refund of your arena ticket.
    That's not how I read it. You get a free arena ticket every week as part of the arena promotion, so basically they're terminating all arena runs immediately and then handing out the free arena ticket.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

23. - Top - End - #1163

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    That's not how I read it. You get a free arena ticket every week as part of the arena promotion, so basically they're terminating all arena runs immediately and then handing out the free arena ticket.
    I think he means that when they terminate your run, you'll get whatever rewards you had earned up to that point (as opposed to if you don't have an active run going, you'll get nothing.) Whether this is more profitable than simply playing arena right up until the servers go down probably depends on the individual.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Not according to Daxxari:

"Does the free arena ticket from having your arena run cancelled stack with the free arena ticket from logging in on the 24th-30th? Or is it just the 1?"

-Correct! These tickets should stack.

At the bottom: * NOTE: If you have an Arena run in progress when Hallow’s End begins on October 24, then it will be retired and you’ll receive the normal rewards for the number of wins you achieved and a free Arena ticket.

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/blog/21098847

So, if they're not mistaken, there's zero reason for you not to have an open arena run. Even if you just buy an arena run and sit on it, you'll get a minimum of 2 packs for 150 gold (1 pack for the 0-0 run, and then a free ticket, which you can immediately retire for another pack).
    Last edited by Joran; 2017-10-19 at 04:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting! Good to have the blue-text confirmation. Well, there's another way to game it...
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2017-10-19 at 05:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Not according to Daxxari:

"Does the free arena ticket from having your arena run cancelled stack with the free arena ticket from logging in on the 24th-30th? Or is it just the 1?"

-Correct! These tickets should stack.

At the bottom: * NOTE: If you have an Arena run in progress when Hallow’s End begins on October 24, then it will be retired and you’ll receive the normal rewards for the number of wins you achieved and a free Arena ticket.

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/blog/21098847

So, if they're not mistaken, there's zero reason for you not to have an open arena run. Even if you just buy an arena run and sit on it, you'll get a minimum of 2 packs for 150 gold (1 pack for the 0-0 run, and then a free ticket, which you can immediately retire for another pack).
    Well then. I just finished up my 5k gold arena (been doing one for every 1k gold I save since the expansion launched), but knowing this I think I will splurge on an extra.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually have an Arena run from back during the ice festival thingy, where they gave you a free run. Sounds like I might actually get BETTER rewards if I wait until the 24th?(since I don't have enough wins for it to pay for itself, I'm not good enough to reach that, and was at, like, 4 wins 2 losses).
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    I actually have an Arena run from back during the ice festival thingy, where they gave you a free run. Sounds like I might actually get BETTER rewards if I wait until the 24th?(since I don't have enough wins for it to pay for itself, I'm not good enough to reach that, and was at, like, 4 wins 2 losses).
    If you're already at 2 losses, hold on to your run.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

My current run is at 7/2, and I wonder if it's better to keep going on that one, cash it in, and get another one with the reward. Then I can hang on to that one when it hits two losses. I don't know.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    My current run is at 7/2, and I wonder if it's better to keep going on that one, cash it in, and get another one with the reward. Then I can hang on to that one when it hits two losses. I don't know.
    If I understand correctly, you should do another run if you have the funds and want to do an arena. If you lose immediately with your current run you go 7/3 which is identical rewards to what you would have gotten if you kept it but if you win you get 8 win rewards. Either way you can just start a new run. So you can only profit from from finishing the run, unless something would stop you from making another run and playing it.

As long as you have any run going on the 24th your good as the reward of an arena ticket doesn't scale and you get rewarded at your current wins (optimally you want to be at 2 losses but you don't have to be).

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show