New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Hearthstone 20: What is your Quest?

Welcome to twentieth GitP thread for Hearthstone. For anyone who doesn't know, Hearthstone is a video card game from Blizzard, based on the Warcraft series. The game is free to play and available here, so if you're interested, give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose but your free time.

For new players, something to be aware of is that there are a number of hidden "quests" you can complete which will give you free gold, dust, or even a pack. A complete list can be found here. Be aware that not quite all of those are ones you'll be able to complete quickly though.

And here is a list of Playgrounders currently in the game, for both NA and EU servers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GitP Username Battle.net ID (US)
    aethernox ethernox#1948
    AgentPaper AgentPaper#1193
    AmberVael AmberVael#1225
    Anarion Anarion55#1254
    Antonok Antonok#1704
    Anxe GoCorral#1879
    Baelot Baelot#1149
    Cogwheel OmegaNixon#1123
    banthesun banthesun#1782
    Dancing Owlbear Owlbear#1586
    Destro Yersul DestroYersul#1239
    D_Lord Volrock#1367
    Duck999 Duck999#1349
    Duos DoctorDapper#1491
    Firedaemon33 Firedaemon#1486
    flat_footed Hiigara#1357
    Fleeing Coward Scorch#1432
    GAAD GAAD#1126
    Gaelbert SamHouston#1563
    Gamerlord Gamerlord#1612
    Gandariel Ciabatta#2958
    Ganorenas Ganorenas#1457
    Gomipile Glodd#1784
    Gray Mage GrayMage#1723
    Grytorm Grytorm#1777
    Hamste Theorules#1234
    Haruspex_Pariah HaruspexPari#1254
    Hatevah Hatevah#1405
    heronbpv Avan#1991
    Hircine IllusiveMan#1616
    Jaxzan Proditor Jaxzan#1878
    jindra34 JinRia #1770
    Johnjimco JohnJimco#1482
    Karoht Karoht#1505
    Kish Grazzt#1417
    Krade Krade#1266
    LegoShrimp legoshrimp#1722
    Landis963 Landis963#1789
    Loreweaver15 Loreweaver#1199
    Lunix Vandal LunixVandal#1952
    MacGiolla MacGiolla#1982
    MathMage MathMage#1797
    MCerberus MCerberus#1734
    mistformsquirrl mistformsqrl#1430
    moosabi Moossabi#1325
    Mystic Muse NSFJunkblade#1400
    Neon Knight VultureCrook#1434
    Neriractor neriractor#1483
    Nerocite JoeKage#1852
    nhbdy Nohbdy#1927
    Olinser Olinser#1393
    Onionbreath GiantSquid#1845
    OrcusMcP Orcus#1805
    otakuryoga Scootaloo#1471
    Pokonic pokonic#1166
    PsyBomb PsyBomb#1878
    Qwertystop Qwertystop#1897
    r2d2go r2d2go#1262
    Rodin Rodin#1811
    Rosstin Rosstin#1609
    SamBurke SamBurke#1486
    Shishnarfne Gruschenka#1375
    Sholos Veebeebee#1383
    Stabbity Rabbit StabityRabit#1362
    Techwarrior Techwarri0r#1572
    Temotei Temotei#1507
    Tesla_pasta teslapasta#1973
    Thanatos 51-50 Thanatos5150#1407
    TheGlyphstone Glyphstone#1419
    The Hellbug thehellbug#1216
    The_Jackal TheJackal#1499
    Togarth Asparag#1680
    Trouble Brewing HairyPoppins#1949
    UserClone UserClone #1545
    Volatar Volatar#1750
    Yael Urashima#1810
    Yana Raltis#1807
    ZeroNumerous ZeroNumerous#1913
    Zevox Zevox#1522
    Zmek JadeReaver #1783

GitP Username Battle.net ID (EU)
    Adumbration Adumbration#2419
    Aran Thule AranThule#2780
    Avaris Avaris#2378
    Avilan the Grey Beardedgeek#2355
    Beelzebub1111 SirArthurIV#1244
    boomwolf BoomWolf#1169
    Dada Scrattlebear#2863
    D-naras Dinos #2811
    Epinephrine_Syn SilverSeraph #2931
    Fleeing Coward Scorch#1432
    Frog Dragon Vasemmasti#2618
    FyreByrd FyreByrd#2962
    Gandariel Ciabatta#2958
    GolemsVoice CrazyCat#29897
    Hewhosaysfish HeWhoSezFish#2503
    Hippie_Viking HippieViking#2866
    Infernally Clay Winny#1904
    Jormengand Trianna#2529
    Lionheart Lionheart#2440
    Mr.Silver SilverSmiles#2462
    Murmaider Murmaider#2273
    Posca Mazura#2636
    Raddish Raddish#2730
    ScionoftheVoid JayPsi#2775
    ShinyRocks MoodyTuskarr#2790
    Sian Sian#2690
    Silfir Silfir#2863
    SlyGuyMcFly SlGuyMcFly#2562
    Tokay Tokay#2518
    Tome Taejix#2836
    Volthawk Volthawk#1214
    Weimann Weimann#2716
    Wraith Illusionist#2224
    Xiander Xiander#2814
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 20: What is your Quest?

I haven't run into a single patches deck in the brawl, yet. How am I supposed to counter patches decks when I'm not seeing any?
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    That may have been better for balance, but realistically I can't see Blizzard going through the design necessary to create a minion, voice it, stat it, give it new art...etc.

There's only three ways the card was likely to get balanced.

1) Increase number of bounces.

2) Increase mana cost of Crystal Caverns.

3) Decrease the stats on the quest.

Of the 3, I think 1 was the best. Increasing the mana cost makes the Rogue win if they have Preparation and lose if they don't have it. Decreasing the stats is very hard to balance - if you don't do it by enough it's pointless, and if you nerf the stats too hard the entire deck becomes non-viable even if the quest is completed.

Increasing the bounces by one is the best compromise. It slows the quest down a bit, doesn't allow cheating like Preparation, and keeps the explosive lategame power. It just makes it less likely for the Rogue to be completing the quest on turn 4, which I don't think was ever intended.

Of course, I may be a bit biased here since I hate Quest Rogue with a passion. Regardless of balance it is the least fun deck to play against I have ever seen, even including OTK Warrior. The Rogue just sits there playing solitaire without even trying to interact with your board, and then suddenly explodes and you have no chance of winning.
    I agree, Quest Rogue was one of the annoying decks to play against; the other really annoying deck I hate is Freeze Mage.

However, I think Quest Rogue was a pretty skill intensive deck to play properly, especially if the Quest Rogue doesn't get the god draw of a couple shadowsteps + prep. There are a lot of interesting lines of play I see from people like Kolento, who likes playing Firefly turn 1 instead of quest to contest the board against aggro decks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    I haven't run into a single patches deck in the brawl, yet. How am I supposed to counter patches decks when I'm not seeing any?
    Run forbidden healing? Counter priest as well which is nice and can survive pretty well against a few. I also ran dirty rat for a bit but that was pretty meh.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

With the new free packs promotion, anyone have advice on who to vote on?
    While "best player" or whatever may very well be subjective, I'd imagine "just barely got in to this rank" might have lower odds of winning...
    But I also don't keep track of competitive Hearthstone, so I don';t know who falls in to the
    "just barely made it" category, if anyone.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I agree, Quest Rogue was one of the annoying decks to play against; the other really annoying deck I hate is Freeze Mage.

However, I think Quest Rogue was a pretty skill intensive deck to play properly, especially if the Quest Rogue doesn't get the god draw of a couple shadowsteps + prep. There are a lot of interesting lines of play I see from people like Kolento, who likes playing Firefly turn 1 instead of quest to contest the board against aggro decks.
    Right, I don't have a problem with it being easy, or even particularly imbalanced from a meta perspective. It's a good deck that requires a lot of skill that can run into hard counters. From a pure competitive balance perspective, it's pretty decent.

It's just utterly painful to play against no matter what deck you're playing, and like Jade Druid last expansion it strangles out certain deck types in Ranked. With Jade Druid simply waiting for set rotation was sufficient, but there's no rotation on the horizon for Quest Rogue. Hence the nerf.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Right, I don't have a problem with it being easy, or even particularly imbalanced from a meta perspective. It's a good deck that requires a lot of skill that can run into hard counters. From a pure competitive balance perspective, it's pretty decent.

It's just utterly painful to play against no matter what deck you're playing, and like Jade Druid last expansion it strangles out certain deck types in Ranked. With Jade Druid simply waiting for set rotation was sufficient, but there's no rotation on the horizon for Quest Rogue. Hence the nerf.
    Jade Druid's still a good deck; it's just absolutely miserable against Quest Rogue and some of the Quest Rogue counters (Token Shaman, Aggro Murlock Paladin, Secret Mage). However, you can crush the soul of Quest Warrior, any kind of Burn Mage, and any kind of Priest that's not Silence.

Jade Druid's seen a lot and is more common in tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    While "best player" or whatever may very well be subjective, I'd imagine "just barely got in to this rank" might have lower odds of winning...
    But I also don't keep track of competitive Hearthstone, so I don';t know who falls in to the
    Personally, I'd just go with someone you want to root for. Last time we'd have told you to pick Thijs and he got one pack or Pavel and he only got one pack.

Looking at groups, I'm personally picking between Kolento (C9 player and someone I like watching on stream) and Muzzy (NA pride and he's supposedly good).
    Last edited by Joran; 2017-06-28 at 08:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, there's no one from Canada this time around, so I just picked Kolento because he was the only one I recognised.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Quest Rogue will be dead because of that. But it's cards will shift towards Midrange a bit. Vanish was pretty popular in the decks anyway and I personally enjoyed the games vs. Quest Rogues where I legit had a chance. Example actually being a game with Dragon Lyra Spell Priest because the deck has enough discover effects and spell generation to keep up with the Quest Rogue as well as enough Tempo due to the Dragons present (and double/triple Dragonfire if needed).

But I think people on ladder will refrain from using Quest Rogue for a bit and either rush towards now playable Control decks or play the OTHER cancer that is Token druid.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-06-28 at 10:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Well, this is a one and done brawl for me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    wait, what free pack promotion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Vote for some competitive guy and for every match they win during this event, you get a pack.
    ...but I also don't watch or read anything on competitive gaming, so I know virtually nothing. But if it seems unpredictable to people who do track this stuff, then I guess I'll go with a random pick.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    wait, what free pack promotion?
    The choose your champion for HCT Spring

Choose your champion

You have until July 4th to pick one of 16 competitors and you'll get a number of packs between 1-4 depending on how far they advance. You're guaranteed a minimum of at least 1, so feel free to pick someone at random.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It'll be interesting to see what effect the Quest Rogue nerf has on the game. Maybe there's a way to make it less auto-fail against aggro, and it'll morph into a more rounded deck. That's the best case scenario, admittedly. My current deck has redundant bounces, so 5 is perfectly doable. Just that it will take one bounce more than usual and that could be a big deal. We'll have to see.

My dust is all but depleted at this point, and I'm not looking forwards to crafting another rogue deck.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what effect the Quest Rogue nerf has on the game. Maybe there's a way to make it less auto-fail against aggro, and it'll morph into a more rounded deck. That's the best case scenario, admittedly. My current deck has redundant bounces, so 5 is perfectly doable. Just that it will take one bounce more than usual and that could be a big deal. We'll have to see.

My dust is all but depleted at this point, and I'm not looking forwards to crafting another rogue deck.
    I already use a slightly anti-Aggro bent to mine, with Bilefins summoning taunts. May need to drop my Engineers for Glacial Shards, but we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Choose your champion

You have until July 4th to pick one of 16 competitors and you'll get a number of packs between 1-4 depending on how far they advance. You're guaranteed a minimum of at least 1, so feel free to pick someone at random.
    Also known as "pick the guy that has been doing the best recently, then watch them crash and burn in their first two matches".

Last couple times I picked people from other countries based on how good they were, and they sucked. This time I'll stay loyal and pick someone from the US in the hopes of averting my horrible luck.

I don't even remember getting my packs from the last couple tournaments. They were only one or two packs each so I think they just kinda got lost in the free packs from set rotation/new expansion.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I just had what was possibly the greatest Brawl matchup of all time. Crystalline Oracle mirror. I don't know what his 8 non-oracle cards were, or what mine were. I know he had Lyra, Holy Nova and Mind Vision. Excavated Evil got involved somehow, from somewhere. Probably me. I had an Auchenai and the priest C'thun guy. It was madness. Absolute brilliant madness. By the end of the game both our hands were nothing but excavated evils and holy nova. I won by fatigue.

Needless to say, I got my 'play deathrattles' quest done.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well I tried to clear a win daily in the Tavern Brawl. Though random, you can usually tell how the match will go in a few turns (or even just the first card) so the games tend to end quick.

Saw a few people messing around with Kabal Courier. Didn't go so well for them, even when I was playing weird things like the 1/2 Combo Cultist (for a Combo daily).

Patches was pretty much autowin in a lot of cases. Even when I was running Voidwalker, the enemy still won. Though that was a close one. The one time I tried Patches the enemy conceded before I knew what their card was. So I decided to not be that guy and simply hope I got a good match if I conceded enough games. Not even sure what counters Patches in this meta.

Other decks I ran into were Explosive trap, Mind Blast/Sinister Strike face decks, Jade Druid and those 1/1 buffwolves. I think somebody actually tried that 2/1 with the divine shield deathrattle, but I was playing Forbidden Ritual and they conceded.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post

I have large numbers of duplicate minions, the Fire Elemental package (2x Igneous, 2x Fire Fly), and six bouncers. I still sometimes have trouble getting to four bounces during the early turns. Having to draw into three of those bouncers probably breaks the deck. As one person put it, you're giving it a 25% nerf on its trigger condition, just like what happened to Molten Giant (which no longer sees play).
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

I ran patches for the one and done. Got into a mirror match; so thankfully didn't intrude on anybody else's fun too badly.

I was Mage with Patches against a Warrior with Patches. Was actually a surprisingly close match with a lot of back and forth, nearly lost due to one of his random 8 being an Armorsmith, but I wound up pulling a Hazael from Unstable portal, which gave the extra health cushion and board presence needed to swing the game. It helped that like 3 of his 8 were weapons (I saw an Ogre Warmaul, Fool's Bane, and Tentacles for Arms, so not even any really good weapons out of that). All in all, not something I'd play again, but surprisingly fun considering I deliberately played the scumbag deck to get it over with.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I don't think Quest Rogue will be dead because of that. But it's cards will shift towards Midrange a bit. Vanish was pretty popular in the decks anyway and I personally enjoyed the games vs. Quest Rogues where I legit had a chance. Example actually being a game with Dragon Lyra Spell Priest because the deck has enough discover effects and spell generation to keep up with the Quest Rogue as well as enough Tempo due to the Dragons present (and double/triple Dragonfire if needed).

But I think people on ladder will refrain from using Quest Rogue for a bit and either rush towards now playable Control decks or play the OTHER cancer that is Token druid.

My favorite game of this expansion was against a quest rogue with my dragon priest deck. He never overplayed his hand because he knew what he was going against. What he didn't count on was me playing dragonfire potion FOUR times (shadow visions is the bomb, like literally in this case) and Ysera Awakens once.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

only reliable counter I have seen to patches so far is priest using power word glory as his picked card..and just never kill a patches..you will stabilize around 8-10 hp and then you just fatigue him
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    I already use a slightly anti-Aggro bent to mine, with Bilefins summoning taunts. May need to drop my Engineers for Glacial Shards, but we'll see how it goes.
    You should keep the Novice Engineers because you'll need that card draw to get your bounce effects.

You should cut one of your 1 drops for Glacial Shard; Glacial Shard is stupid good at delaying aggression from medium size creatures. I've seen people cutting Swashburgler because it draws Patches before you get the 5/5 or Hungry Crab now that Murlocs are not as oppressive anymore.

I think we might see more of the defensive Elemental Package from Quest Rogue (if it even still sees play). I saw people like Kolento playing Tar Creeper and Stoneshaper to protect against aggro. Bilefin is also a solid choice.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

I missed the Patches train by getting my brawl in early, I picked Babbling Book, my opponent went with Naturalize. I didn't even get to fatigue by the time I burned him out.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Choose your champion

thanks, wasnīt aware of it.

As for the brawl, Iīve been running curse of raafam and it seems to be doing really well against card generating picks, havenīt found a patches deck yet but this one clearly loses to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Ran into a Shaman running Maelstrom Portal as his Patches counter. Generally solid... except against Jade Idol, which is what I was using.

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I needed 30 mage cards for a quest, so I crafted Glyphs. Went into Mirror. Bad news, I lost. Good news, I finished my quest in one go.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

You should keep the Novice Engineers because you'll need that card draw to get your bounce effects.

You should cut one of your 1 drops for Glacial Shard; Glacial Shard is stupid good at delaying aggression from medium size creatures. I've seen people cutting Swashburgler because it draws Patches before you get the 5/5 or Hungry Crab now that Murlocs are not as oppressive anymore.

I think we might see more of the defensive Elemental Package from Quest Rogue (if it even still sees play). I saw people like Kolento playing Tar Creeper and Stoneshaper to protect against aggro. Bilefin is also a solid choice.
    I'd already been running Southsea Deckhand over Swashburglar (because 5/5, get a random card is way worse than getting a 5/5 charger that can summon a 5/5 charger), as well as Bilefin (not just because it stalls aggro, but because it puts two 5/5s on the board post-quest. And double Glacial Shard. And I still struggled against aggro.

If Quest Rogue didn't figure out how to deal with aggro before, it won't figure out now.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

15 minutes ago Blizzard Korea shared that July 7th will be the announcement of the next expansion.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Warning: Random jumble of thoughts

Anyone else get really bored because of the rank system? I know climbing to legend is pointless because it's many hours of my life that go away at the end of every month, so I just go up to rank 5 because that's a reasonable amount of playtime for one month. I'd feel way more incentivized to climb the ladder if I didn't feel like it was just running up the down escalators. Sure, each month I can make progress, but Hearthstone isn't a deep or rewarding enough game to justify the amount of time it would take to go from rank 5 to legend.