New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default (PF) Thoughts on the Sanguine Angel

Servus.

Adventurer Guide brought us some re-vamped PrC, as well as a bunch of new ones. I want to talk about the Sanguine Angel, as this one intrigues me. Iīm actually a fan of using TWF SwordīnīBoard on a PF Fighter, as that edition actually supports that style of play.

So, some observation on the Sanguine Angel:
    - Maidenīs Shield gives TWF as virtual feat and letīs you ignore the DEX-prereq for each and any feat listed in the TWF feat chains. Thatīs the big one here, as STR-based dual-wielding is now possible.
    - Erinyes Fury is a bit puzzling. You gain access to Dead Calm (Modified Rage for the Dreadnaught Barbarian archetype), either using twice Sanguine Angel levels, or adding Sanguine Angel levels to existing Dreadnaught levels. Puzzling because going without Barb levels has the higher net result of rage round in the lower level bracket.
    - Furious Huntress is fascinating, as it moves to hit with bows to STR. Sadly, we canīt outright ignore DEX for feat prereqs here, too.
    - Armor/Weapon Training: You either gain or advance existing A/W Training (Heavy Blades) by two steps. That even opens up the possibility to use AMH/WMH on a non-Fighter base.

So, Iīm fooling around with some builds, from FTR10/SA1+, FTR4/BARB6/SA1+ to BARB10/SA1+ and some plain 2 levels dips on regular archery builds for Erinyes Fury and so for, it looks promising.

Thoughts on the Sanguine Angel?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) Thoughts on the Sanguine Angel

Originally Posted by Florian
    Servus.
    What is this?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    What is this?
    A bavarian greeting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Actually, you can ignore Dexterity prerequisites for archery - by taking the Archery combat style. Either via Ranger-levels, or via Slayer talents (via Slayer levels, Sanctified Slayer Inquisitor or Nature Fang druid levels).

But then again, you don't necessarily need that much Dexterity for most feats anyway. Sure, stuff like Improved Precise Shot or Manyhot takes a lot of Dexterity. But you're aiming to be a switch-hitter here, you don't need all the archery feats ever.
    And 13, 14 Dexterity is cheap to get via point-buy, and provides a bonus to Initiative and armor class (remember, you get at least some armor training).
    That's enough to get Deadly Aim and Rapid Shot.
    If you want Improved Precise Shot or Manyshot, you can get those from the Archery combat style at 6th level, then go into Sanguine Angel and apply your Strength to hit at 8th level.

Also, you actually need to have Weapon Training to advance it via the PrC.

Personally, I'd build a Sanguine Angel as a switch-hitter. The only question is whether to go with Fighter 5 (and only Rapid Shot/Deadly Aim) or Slayer 6 (and also Manyshot, but having to take heavy armor proficiency as a feat). Nature Fang Druid 7 could also work, but you'd have to cheese for ironwood grey maiden plate so eh.
    Fighter gains one more feat (due to not having to spend any on armor proficiency) and weapon training, but Slayer gets 2D6 sneak attack which can work well with having lots of attacks as well as Studied Target.
    Inquisitor 8 can also work of course, giving you the same studied target and sneak attack, as well as 3rd-level spells - but only one bonus feat and no heavy armor proficiency.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I, too, am intrigued by this wonderful prc. It seems as a great way to play a switch hitter (effectiveness of such a character aside). I don't think you can make a terribly powerful character with it, but the fluff is just so awesome. Stab my eye to see invisible creatures? That's just so metal.

I've been toying with a build. Starting as a fighter lets you get AWT and AAT, which is nice, but on the other hand starting as a vigilante (specifically, the faction archetype) nets you more skill points, the maiden plate for free and some talents, which are feats+.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

@Serafina:

A lot of pros and cons for going the switch hitter route. Personally, Iīm a bit biased against the PrC capstone ability, as turning into a true outsider has some marked drawbacks, like being stopped by Magic Circle or being suddenly a target for Planar Ally.

So I tend towards Fighter 5/Barbarian (Dreadnaught/Superstitious) 6/SA 1+ for Witch-Killer and Spellsunder via Extra Rage. That doesnīt leave much space for archery feats beyond the basics and sadly no Blinded Blade Style.

Edit: Iīm not a fan of using Slayer below 7th.
    Last edited by Florian; 2017-07-01 at 04:13 PM.