Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 101 villains for superhero games

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Ok, two problems with this:

1.) Then nobody would remember Hitler or his significance
    2.) A different fungible fascist fathead would replace him
    Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    1.) That though crossed my mind.

2.) En, not necessarily. The people the Nazi's spent a lot of time fighting for power with in the streets were The Communists in Germany at the time. No Nazi's could well just mean Communist dictatorship instead, like what Russia had around that time.

Course, the problem now is the question if weather or not that's actually worse.
    Timing matters, of course. He probably would have tried assassinating Hitler at various points in the timeline to see which moment provided the most effective post-hoc threat.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, but, again, if it changes the timeline, it's not going to work. No one really knows that it was a big enough deal to even consider capitulating.

And if it doesn't change it in a way that makes it better it also doesn't work.
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

No, I get it now. He kills Hitler after World War 2 is already well underway and during the period where it looked like Germany might get the Bomb first

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, fair enough I suppose.

Though that begs the question, why didn't one of the inner circle just take power, and use the death as a martyr moment to make them fight harder?
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Then he's just left with showing that he was the one who did it and not just someone with a similar costume

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

He'd probably at minimum need to take a trustworthy witness/hostage on a time walk to demonstrate the consequences...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

You mean take someone along when he did it. He wouldn't want to demonstrate the consequences. He would want to create the impression that without his intervention Hitler gets the bomb first and wins the war

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, fair enough I suppose.

Though that begs the question, why didn't one of the inner circle just take power, and use the death as a martyr moment to make them fight harder?
    That was my other original point. The Axis leaders were not as special as their propaganda would have had people believe. That said, by this point a lot of their image would have been tied up in Hitler, so if it was done it might be done better as a Weekend At Bernies/Qin Shi Huang/Warhammer 40K type thing where they try to make it look like he isn't dead.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Alright. I stand corrected then. It's a plan that requires very specific steps, but if one has the power to just go back and try again, sure, I'd buy it.
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

In retrospect, I think when I actually use this villain in an upcoming campaign, it's going to be 'he delivered a cure to a plague from the future'. It's just a lot cleaner causality and there's fewer moving parts.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

78.) The Mediator- an antivillain who kidnaps people from extremist groups with opposed agendas (such as the KKK and ISIS) and forces the two groups to fight each other to the death for his amusement

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

79) Doomcaller. He can sense the potential for catastrophes and can make them happen here and now, rather than in their due course. Felt he had a duty to trigger all the nasty stuff that will happen in places best suited to handle it/places that minimize casualties. Got a bad rep early on because he miscalculated, couldn't convince the world these disasters would happen anyway, and joined up with a villain looter group to get protection from the inevitable targeting by hero groups and governmental forces. Now has gradually slipped into actual villainy.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

80.) Caimandor- Enforcer for another villain this guy is half-man half-caiman half-condor

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

81. The Sabbatic Goat, more commonly known as Crowely's Mistake, is a psychic hivemind consisting of the minds of several dozen minor European wizards, demon-worshipers, and spiritualists, imbued with a horrible amount of infernal and psychic power through a incident of a unknown nature. The Goat is not a true demon; it is a occult astral construct created with the sole purpose of assisting mankind in reaching above their current spiritual potential, but has since developed it's own personality and now uses it's preposterously powerful magical abilities in pursuing it's own goals, which is to continue gathering and dispersing knowledge to those it deems worthy and to act on it's own self-centered personal philosophy, which appears to be a synthetic mix of several varieties of demon and self-worship. It currently dwells in the astral rend created by it's own birth, considering infinity, contemplating the reality of hell, and teaching the small group of students it has gathered around itself, which it abuses and rewards as it sees fit.
    Last edited by Dalinale; 2018-04-15 at 08:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

82.) Enforcerer[sic]- A magically powered thug who serves a more powerful villain

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Henchmen Monthly: a low tier combatant with cut rate shape shifting powers, but top tier dopple ganger production powers. Half way sensible, in that he hires out his doppelgangers as hired muscle and henchmen to anyone and everyone willing to pay for an effectively unlimited supply of them that don't require a full crews worth of extras, like insurance for example. Shape shifting is use to help keep it form being painfully obvious that there all dopplegangers, buuuuuut, it's effectively useless for, well, anything else due to him being lousy at it.
    Seems, not dissimilar to mine, don't you think?
    "I Burn!"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

As long as we're talking time travel:

Mistress Paradox: A ruthless student of temporal physics and sorcery from a now-defunct future timeline, she conceived of a ritual to gain immense magical power by going back in time and sacrificing the man who would be her own grandfather. It worked - but it takes her almost all of her godlike power just to avoid being ejected from a timeline that no longer has any place for her. Now she's wreaking havoc as a supervillain in this 'primitive' time, trying to make enough of an impact to force History to acknowledge her existence.

And a few other weirdoes:

Iskandar the Conqueror: A criminal mastermind with a deep obsession with the myths and history of Ancient Greece, this would-be conqueror has control of a sizeable portion of mundane crime (and politics, but I repeat myself) in the campaign city. He's a fan of superheroes and villains, seeing them as the resurgence of a New Age of Myth - perhaps fortunately, his efforts to gain superpowers of his own haven't succeeded...yet.

The SubVersive: Exiled from their native Atlantis for their attempt to overthrow the government, the amphibian now called the Subversive washed up on the surface. Armed with their sea-spawned superstrength and hydrokinetic powers, this aquatic anarchist seeks to destabilize all oppressive social structures - why in their eyes, means just about any law and order at all.

Transmuto the Magnificent: A flamboyant villain with a stage-magician schtick and the power to transmute (nonliving) matter, his motives remain something of a mystery - why would a man who can turn lead into gold waste their time robbing banks? And why does a villain who started their career in the 1950s (hence the cornball name) not look any older today?

The Valkyrie: The few times anyone's spoken to her, she's claimed to be an actual valkyrie - one of Odin's Choosers of the Slain. Frustrated by the impersonal, unheroic nature of modern warfare, she watches over superhuman battles, hoping to collect the souls of superheroes and villains when they die. Stronger and tougher than a normal human, she can curse people with misfortune in battle, and can summon the spirits of those she's collected previously as ghostly warriors- heroes ranging from the Old Norse through World War I, and possibly even a super or two who's had the decency to stay dead.

The Plague Doctor: A mysterious villain wearing distinctive archaic-looking protective gear, the Plague Doctor commits crimes with an array of noxious chemical grenades, thrown syringes full of unpleasant drugs, a quick knife, and a gimmicked walking stick.

Curbstomp: A particularly vicious white supremacist who was driven out of his old gang when his mutant powers were revealed. Now, he's a mutant supremacist, using his stone-based powers to brutalize 'normals' and gather a small gang of his fellow mutants.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

90.) Eva Brawn- An enormous hulking brute created through a flawed attempt by escaped nazi mad scientists to reanimate Hitler's girlfriend Eva Braun

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

91.) Feng Shui- A power mad interior designer given superhiman strength, endurance, and agility, and the ability to fly by the power of furniture arrangement. His weakness is that his powers disappear if someone moves the furniture in his lair
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-05-02 at 12:37 PM. Reason: used the word 'power' too many times in one sentence in unmodified version

20. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground

92.) Schrödinger's Villain
    Schrödingers Villain is a villain who is neither dead nor alive. Or maybe both at once. Either way, if you kill him, he might just reappear later, because he was also alive. But if others try to raise him up, he may just disappear later because he's also dead. His weakness is that he always becomes either one or the other when you look at him, but he counteracts that by blinding people. Other than that one part of him, he also has a scythe, because he thinks of himself as a reaper or some other deluded thing, and a sidekick which has the same Schrödinger power as him and is a cat.
    Linklele made my AWESOME avatar! Thank you so much!

Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

93) Omelas. A serial killer who believes that all benefit must come at a cost, and targets people who had previously been saved by superheroes in large events/disasters - always taking 'one part in a thousand to pay for this blessing'.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A hero I once played in a Mutants & Masterminds game works just as well in a villainous role: Fistogram, a social media obsessed speedster whose high-tech suit uploads photos of his punches to Instagram.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

94: The Golden Meanie: A giant in gold armour, The Golden Meanie is a radical centrist, who focuses his attacks on both the extreme political right and the extreme political left. As you would expect, he doesn't take himself or his "profession" very seriously, unless you're one of his dedicated targets, for which he has nothing but contempt.
    He is a dangerous opponent regardless, as his power evenly divided local super-abilities between himself and their original possessor, granting him new abilities at the expense of yours.

95: Nár: literally a Draugr from norse myth, Nár endlessly hunts for his treasures that has been unwittingly preserved in various museums across the globe. He is immune to all mortal weapons, and is immensely strong and durable, on top of shapsigitng powers: able to become a giant, phase through solid stone and shapeshift into the form of a seagull or skinless bull.
    While he will literally hunt you to the ends of the earth to reclaim his treasures, what he truly desires is a a death worthy of valhalla...and he takes a special interest in those he thinks can grant him.

96: Poppy-cutter: A mysterious and highly ambiguous serial killer, who targets superbeings of all stripes with a massive pair of bloody garden shears that bypass all defences. Their name was given to them by the who witnessed their crimes and were permitted to live: probably due to the red poppy in the pocket on their other black, featureless outfit: not that it's easy to spot considering they have been clocked at mach-3. Actual motives, gender and appearance up to the DM.

97: The Monkey King: Not that monkey king! ...well, sort of, it's one of his descendants. He has all the massive power Sun Wukong wields, and none of the compassion or responsibility of his bodhisattva predecessor. Fortunately, he's also as capricious and easily distracted, and has the typical villain tendency to underestimate his opponents to the Nth degree.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

A few I used for a superhero RP some years back, divided into their teams

THE BURNING ANGELS

Pack of human traffickers. Forcibly created out of a coalition of smaller gangs. Most notable trait was always wearing identical uniforms and masks, meaning you could never tell if a group was just normal thugs or had a supervillain amongst them.

98: Target: Very strong forcefield, extending to his equipment, and the ability to either attract objects towards him or attract himself towards objects. Combined, these effectively give him super-strength and a very crude flying ability. Gang leader. Aggressive and generally unpleasant personality, but just smart enough to keep the gang together. Rules primarily through fear and regular punishments for failure.

99: Firebug: Short-rang pyrokinesis and the ability to alter his mass. With the aid of a flame-resistant wingsuit built into his uniform this allows him to soar on thermal currents, then increase his mass for a rapid dive. Enjoys hurting people to a worrying degree, and follows orders unquestioningly as long as he can hurt someone in the process.

100: Platoon: Ability to create copies of herself, which obey basic orders when first created (e.g. "guard this building", "attack those people", "carry these bags of loot") but appear to have no ability to update their orders. Die and decay to dust after a few hours, but she can also kill them at will to create new ones. Was trafficked by the Angels and got superpowers either in the process or immediately after arriving. Fragile ego, easily bullied into obeying orders by other villains.

101: Bodybuilder: Can rapidly increase size, muscle mass and aggression of any animal. Extreme increases (double previous size or bigger) tend to lead to death by heart failure in a matter of days, or even hours. Occasionally uses powers to slightly bulk up gang members (who happily accept the years it takes off their lifespan) but primarily uses them on either attack dogs or Platoon duplicates due to their expendability. In an emergency, may use them on crowds of civilians to create short-lived monsters. Relatively friendly personality, appears to be in it mostly for the money, but still has the potential for serious violence.

Can I do more? Eh, I'll do more.

102: Patchwork: Creates small robots out of junk, which then integrate more junk into themselves to increase their capabilities. Appears to have a distaste for violence and avoids the frontlines as much as possible. Appears to do it mostly just for the chance to use his powers, seems to prefer his creations to any other living beings.

GUNG HO

Formed by a group of former US Special Forces and South Vietnamese guerrillas who emerged from the jungles with superpowers and hardline fascist ideologies after disappearing for decades. They believe that the Vietnamese War was winnable and it was only the weakness of the US' democratic system that prevented total victory. For this reason, they openly plan to overthrow the US government and replace it with a dictatorship. Despite this, they currently act mostly like a street gang, not least because many of their members were from gangs who threw their lot in with Gung Ho to prevent being destroyed by the Angels.

103: Willy Pete: Gang leader. Former US special forces. Looks to be in his forties, kept artificially young by his powers. Has the ability to touch two objects and make them swap after a few seconds; usually he uses this by touching a bullet and a white phosphorous grenade then firing the bullet off. He appears, however, to be able to teleport any item except himself. His training has made him naturally stealthy and extremely proficient in close combat. He is cunning, with a love for traps and ambushes. Can be perfunctorily polite, but is intensely driven and reacts violently when startled. Fanatical anti-communist.

104: Tunnel Rat: South Vietnamese and the only other survivor from the initial group who came to the US. Has the ability to rapidly reshape earth he touches and move quickly down tunnels. Loves setting traps, but also uses his powers for infiltration and building fortifications. Friendly, but utterly refuses to brook any insubordination. Fanatical anti-communist.

105: Clearsky: Can perform rapid, short-range teleports, but only when not being looked at. A bolt of lightning appears between the start and end point. Typically works closely with Willy Pete, using his smokescreens to obscure enemy line of sight. Appears to be much less dedicated to the 'mission' than her superiors, as she was originally part of one of the minor gangs that got absorbed. Arrogant and clever, but not as clever as she thinks she is.

106: Decker: Wears an enormous, extremely tough powersuit for combat and acts as the frontliner. Can (and will happily try to) build pretty much anything, but it will always be overbuilt and nigh-indestructible. Cheerfully aggressive and prefers to bulldoze through problems, both physical and personal, rather than seek another solution. African-American, primarily so I could make Black and Decker puns.

THE HUMAN POTENTIAL INITIATIVE

A 'spiritual, non-religious organisation' which promises superpowers to anyone who can follow the teachings well enough. Yes, it is literally a superhero cult.

107: Kisosha: Japanese immigrant who claims to have learnt the true nature of superpowers. Has the ability to temporarily grant a modified form of nearby super's powers to non-superpowered people, though the exact powers will be very variable (for instance, a shapeshifter's powers might manifest as greatly increased muscle growth in one person while another might get wings or become able to turn themselves into liquid). Each time this is performed upon someone they become more fanatically loyal to her. Acts like a hardcore cult leader, utterly self-absorbed and doles out powers to those most fanatically devoted to her. Has a complex about her height, often demanding that her minions use their powers to raise her above the crowd.

108: Angel: Actual superhero, who somehow got manipulated into joining the cult. Has the ability to create solid beams of light and move them around, making her able to fly, move objects and bind people in place among other things. Claims to be the 'first graduate of the Human Potential Initiative' but this is almost certainly a lie. Acts like a proper brainwashed cultist and has essentially no personality of her own any more.

109: Hypnos: Saps people's strength and makes them tired. In the process his own speed and strength get built up, to superhuman levels if he has enough people to 'drain'. Unlike Angel he is clearly not a cultist and very much stays in the shadows, though he uses his powers to help with brainwashing and allows Kisosha to copy them. No-one outside the cult knows about him as he never makes public appearances, and on the few occasions when he fights he pretends to be simply another temporary super.

I can give the full briefings on them I gave my players, if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by spineyrequiem; 2018-05-02 at 07:06 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

110.) Skidmark- Dr.Juvenile's (#6, above) getaway driver. He has a pressurized pump device connecting his gallbladder to the outside of his body that allows him to spray bile (the digestive chemical that gives dung it's characteristic smell and color) onto people

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

111.) Fear Elf- A harmless looking sprite that nevertheless seems horriffically intimidating when viewed up close, due to a magical aura. He has a variety of powers relating to worry and panic and can bewitch large groups to go into states of blind panic and/or obsessive worry over the next piece of bad news they receive, no matter how slight.

This character was inspired by a typo in an online transcript of FDR's inaugural address

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

112.) (don't have a name for this one. Should just sound like a shop teacher's name)

A deranged and disgruntled industrial arts teacher who has made his own armor and menaces people with power tools and welding torches which he keeps constantly running/lit during his rampages

(inspired by an exchange in the Star Wars thread about how keeping a lightsaber on constantly would be like keeping a welding torch lit constantly)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

113.) Hapax Legomenon- A villain whose expository monologues are largely incomprehensible due to his excessive use of coined words, nonce words, and neologisms

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

114.) The Unbalanced Breakfast- A troublemaking group consisting of a giant maniacal anthropomorphic pancake, french toast slice, glass of orange juice, and clump of scrambled eggs (like a violent breakfast themed version of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, or a Let's Go Out To The Lobby short)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

115.) The Robber Baron- In his day-to-day life this man is a relatively run-of-the-mill business criminal. Tne truth about him is darker however. The Robber Baron is over 150 years old and he achieved this longevity by sacrificing poor people to Mammon in exchange for continued life and dark powers. He must periodically make additional sacrifices. He is also looking into the resurrection of defunct industries via even more sacrifices and rituals from the Necronomicon

116.) The Copyright Troll- A hulking brutish supernatural creature summoned to Earth by the evil Music And Film Industry Association of America (MAFIAA) to tear off the limbs and grind the bones of anyone who dares to be entertained without paying them protection. He has a brother, The Patent Troll, who is a minion of the Robber Baron (see above)