New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Default What's your favorite science fiction device (that isn't a weapon)?

The title says it all. Come here and gush over fictional technology, but make sure to explain exactly why you like it. What makes it work? Is it practical? If so, why and how?

(I think those familiar with me can already guess my answer, scouters are awesome. Even though they NEVER work in DBZ.)
    Last edited by Avianmosquito; 2017-07-02 at 12:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: What's your favorite science fiction device (that isn't a weapon)?

Any kind of FTL propulsion, it opens up the universe to humanity.

A close second is the jetpack, because flying.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I asked my wife, and she instantly held up her i-phone, saying, "This is a Star Trek communicator, a tri-corder, a locater, a mapping device, and they are probably figuring out a way to make it a medical scanner as well."

But for me, there is no question. Apollo 11. The younger readers will probably think I'm joking, but I'm not. When I watched it take off, and then saw the Lunar Module land on the moon, science fiction came true. I walked outside and looked up at an inhabited world. No other science fiction moment has ever affected me like that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Well, being an Aasimov fan, I'd have to say the coolest thing we could have would be a Multivac. The pinnacle of technology is for me the Ultimate Super-AI, with universal-scale Internet included. FTL communication, perfect recording of every event of everything in the universe at the same time... the possibilities are greater than infinite. If I could fuse myself with Multivac, I certainly would too.

Now that you brought it up, I always thought the coolest thing in DB were the poi-poi capsules. I wouldn't mind having to carry around my PC instead of my smartphone; as long as I can transport it (and so much more) inside by pocket. I would get rid of backpacks and getting the benefit to carry most of my stuff around in the process. That would certainly improve my quality of life by a >9000%.

PS: If we are talking about colonizing space, I think gravity projectors would present themselves much more useful in the short and long run than FTL travel itself.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Dragonball's Capsules.

Need to move house? LITERALLY move your house by putting it in your pocket and setting it down somewhere new. Never haul anything big or heavy again. No need to worry about parking, either.

Way cooler than Scouters.

Honorable mention goes to the Portal Gun from Portal.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I'd have to go for the TARDIS. I used to love the sonic screwdriver as well but it has become so corrupted in nuWho that it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. The TARDIS hasn't fared as poorly, though it has taken a battering.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Any kind of big red glowing button with a skull on it that sets off loud sirens when you push it. Only good things can happen from such a button.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely a replicator. Although to be fair conceptually it creates a lot of problems with exactly how the Star Trek universe works. But outside of that in terms of real world utility it's probably the single most significant thing that could ever be invented.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

the Enterprise complete with captain picard and crew
    check out my D&D-inspired video game, not done yet but you can listen to the soundtrack if you're bored: https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofScales/

my game's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-77807407...les-soundtrack

my website with homebrew and stuff on it: http://garm230.wixsite.com/scales

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I asked my wife, and she instantly held up her i-phone, saying, "This is a Star Trek communicator, a tri-corder, a locater, a mapping device, and they are probably figuring out a way to make it a medical scanner as well."

But for me, there is no question. Apollo 11. The younger readers will probably think I'm joking, but I'm not. When I watched it take off, and then saw the Lunar Module land on the moon, science fiction came true. I walked outside and looked up at an inhabited world. No other science fiction moment has ever affected me like that.
    Those are both real, they don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Dragonball's Capsules.

Need to move house? LITERALLY move your house by putting it in your pocket and setting it down somewhere new. Never haul anything big or heavy again. No need to worry about parking, either.

Way cooler than Scouters.

Honorable mention goes to the Portal Gun from Portal.
    See, I considered those as well, but the thing that makes scouters a better choice in my opinion is that they fit in perfectly in other settings with minimal adjustment. The capsules simply don't fit in most settings and there's a lot of unanswered questions about them (IE: Where does the stuff go when you've collapsed the capsule, and what would happen if you were inside something when the capsule was collapsed?). Scouters don't have either issue. You could import a scouter to any other science fiction setting regardless of tone with minimal adjustment, which is why I showed a couple scouters moved into a Fallout 4 mod where they still fit in, look great and fill a functional role not too different from their original purpose. (Actually, the scouters are REALLY valuable in that mod, I only use them for two of their four abilities and they are a game changer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Goodkill View Post
    the Enterprise complete with captain picard and crew
    Weapon.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
    Well since he was alive prior to their existence, I would say they definitely count. It's a real world realization of an idea that had only existed in science fiction. There's nothing that would count more than that.

Weapon.
    Not the whole thing, in fact I think the Enterprise has done more to de-escalate various conflicts than it has engaged in them. I mean technically almost any tech could be used as a weapon, so you're limiting things pretty heavily if you make that argument.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It depends on how one defines science fiction - the softer it gets, the more ridiculously cool stuff shows up. Here's a scale, with the ends bolded
    Fantasy in Space
    Replicators, and matter energy conversion in general.
    Medical broth (anything involving basically being able to dump people with any medical issue in a tube and have them come out cured).
    Tractor beams.
    Terraforming tools.
    Space elevator.
    Biological prosthetics (nerve splicing, growing limbs from cell cultures, that sort of thing, mostly to replace missing limbs).
    Powered exo skeletons (for medical and industrial purposes, powered armor is basically a weapon).
    Optimistic Engineering Paper in a Real World Journal
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

In Schlock mercenary, many ships have fabricators- machines capable of generating most varieties of matter using only huge amounts of energy. I've gotta say that those are probably my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Not the whole thing, in fact I think the Enterprise has done more to de-escalate various conflicts than it has engaged in them. I mean technically almost any tech could be used as a weapon, so you're limiting things pretty heavily if you make that argument.
    Indeed. In fact, Maxim 24 of the 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries (from the comic I was just talking about) has a quote related to this:

Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-07-04 at 09:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does it have to be a device? Can it just be a technology?

Dr.Moreau surgery
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The Time Machine from the .G. Wells novella The Time Machine (I'm pretty sure that I enencountered the "Classic Comics" and Pal movie version first).

I suppose that it really counts as fantasy, but Wells called it "A Scientific Romance" so let's pretend it's science fiction.

Even better would be the Time Belt from David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

You'll be pleased to know that it is possible to remotely assess cardiac function using a miniature ultrasound transducer that links to an iPhone and measures the carotid waveform.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, it doesn't count if it's currently real?

OK, then:
    My birth until July 15, 1969: Moon rocket. That was the coolest science fiction idea ever!
    June 16, 1969 - December 19, 1972: Who cares? Real life is more science-fictional that science fiction.
    December 20, 1972 - present: Apollo 11.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was reading these posts and I thought hey, nobody's mentioned time machines. Then BWR said TARDIS. Then...
    The Time Machine from the .G. Wells novella The Time Machine (I'm pretty sure that I enencountered the "Classic Comics" and Pal movie version first).

I suppose that it really counts as fantasy, but Wells called it "A Scientific Romance" so let's pretend it's science fiction.

Even better would be the Time Belt from David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself.
    Yup, I was beaten to it.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Apollo 11.

Fun fact: All Lost in Space and Star Trek episodes (the main shows I watched as a kid) were broadcast before the Moon Landing.

Even though I was alive during the Lunar missions, my parents didn't get a TV until thr Watergate hearings so I never got to watch any of it. When I would get up early to watch the Shuttle launches and landings, my Dad would ask me "What's the big deal, it just looks like an airplane?" He just couldn't see the magic in it.

As a child I was very interested in Science Fiction and Space Travel (I had more future then!).

By the late 1970's and afterwards in California new books seldom were purchased for school libraries, but they were lots of books from the '60's and early '70's which I devoured, that detailing the moon landings, the Viking mission (how I starred at pictures of red rocks under a pink sky!), and NASA's plans for the space shuttle and lunar bases, and in reading the old books I realized something. The future was behind schedule!

The space shuttle did eventually fly (later than planned), but the lunar bases? Never. Going to Mars was "twenty years from now" when I was a child, and forty years on, it's still "twenty years from now".

There was "Star Trek", (23rd Century!) and "Lost in Space" (1999!) on television, and it was easy to be excited by a "bright future". I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up!
    But increasingly in the 1970's and definitely in the '80's the "future" became bleak (Cyberpunk etc.).

Perhaps because I personally have less future left, but I read Fantasy now, and I seldom read Science Fiction anymore, and increasingly on the "sci-fi" shelves, there's "alternate history", and stories that take place in "visions of the future" from the past (Steampunk, Dieselpunk, and Raygun Gothic), rather than stories that take place in "the future".

I miss "the future".
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gap Drive v
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
    And the women come out to cut up what remains
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
    An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

George Jetson's flying saucer that folded into a brief case.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Fun fact: All Lost in Space and Star Trek episodes (the main shows I watched as a kid) were broadcast before the Moon Landing.

Even though I was alive during the Lunar missions, my parents didn't get a TV until thr Watergate hearings so I never got to watch any of it. When I would get up early to watch the Shuttle launches and landings, my Dad would ask me "What's the big deal, it just looks like an airplane?" He just couldn't see the magic in it.

As a child I was very interested in Science Fiction and Space Travel (I had more future then!).

By the late 1970's and afterwards in California new books seldom were purchased for school libraries, but they were lots of books from the '60's and early '70's which I devoured, that detailing the moon landings, the Viking mission (how I starred at pictures of red rocks under a pink sky!), and NASA's plans for the space shuttle and lunar bases, and in reading the old books I realized something. The future was behind schedule!

The space shuttle did eventually fly (later than planned), but the lunar bases? Never. Going to Mars was "twenty years from now" when I was a child, and forty years on, it's still "twenty years from now".

There was "Star Trek", (23rd Century!) and "Lost in Space" (1999!) on television, and it was easy to be excited by a "bright future". I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up!
    But increasingly in the 1970's and definitely in the '80's the "future" became bleak (Cyberpunk etc.).

Perhaps because I personally have less future left, but I read Fantasy now, and I seldom read Science Fiction anymore, and increasingly on the "sci-fi" shelves, there's "alternate history", and stories that take place in "visions of the future" from the past (Steampunk, Dieselpunk, and Raygun Gothic), rather than stories that take place in "the future".

I miss "the future".
    If it makes you feel any better, the future was never behind schedule, it just turned into a different road. We have technologies they never even dreamed of on Lost in Space.

You've been through a lot of world events it sounds like. You should still see the magic. I'm talking to you on device that's mostly screen and wirelessly connects to the Internet (which completely revolutionized... well, everything). Even though it's commonplace where we live, it's still pretty damned impressive.
    Spoiler: I know I'm guilty of this sometimes. And I really shouldn't be. It's amazing.
    Show

Last edited by Peelee; 2017-07-07 at 08:06 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Death Star.
    Not a weapon. Space station. Yep. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by CleverUsername View Post
    Death Star.
    Not a weapon. Space station. Yep. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
    Technically not a space station, since those are, well, stationary. Death Star clearly has a hyperdrive, and at least has enough of a sublight drive to put it in an optimal orbit. I'm loathe to call it a ship, though... how about just "giant laser with a moon-sized building attached?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Stargates and/or the flue network. The older I get, the less I like traveling. I'd love a piece of technology that rendered both commutes and air travel instantaneous.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

27. - Top - End - #27

I'm a sucker for virtual reality games that seem to play as sideplots until they enlighten the character to some greater purpose of the narrative. I once thought it was just in Ender's Game, but then I started seeing it be used in other works such as The Three-Body Problem.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The most amazing thing to me is fusion power. (With a reactor that consumes less energy while running than it generates.)

It's something we actually know it's possible, we're making steady progress on, and for which there is no good reason why it could never be achived. Yet at the same time the effects are something that science fiction almost never seems to consider. Pretty much all kinds of scarcity in the world are not a lack of the physical stuff, but prohibitively high energy costs to transform it into things we need and transporting them to where they are needed. Energy has always been the limiting factor of what can be done for all of human history.

With mass produced fusion reactors being everywhere, everything would change. It would be much bigger than steam engines or gun powder, perhaps even bigger than agriculture. The cost of making a fusion reactor can be regarded as being entirely energy. Energy to mine the materials, transport the materials, work the materials, and so on. Once you have one fusion reactor you could produce the energy to make more fusion reactors.

Spoiler
    Show

Of course it can't ignore the limitations of thermodynamics and you still need a fuel, but when the fuel is 75% of all matter in the universe, running out is not going to be an issue.

It's the most fantastic technology with the most far reaching consequences that would be unimaginable in the long term, but the only case where I see it considered is Star Trek, but it very rarely takes a look at the lives of normal people on Federation worlds.
    Last edited by Yora; 2017-07-23 at 04:52 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    The most amazing thing to me is fusion power. (With a reactor that consumes less energy while running than it generates.)

It's something we actually know it's possible, we're making steady progress on, and for which there is no good reason why it could never be achived. Yet at the same time the effects are something that science fiction almost never seems to consider.
    Damn straight! Forget hoverboards, I want Mr. Fusion. Gimme a few of those I can make a damn hoverboard. Energy inefficiency effectively doesn't exist anymore; what previously required plutonium now only needs a banana peel, a little beer, the beer can, some egg shells and the carton.

I have this rant a lot.

30. - Top - End - #30

RogueGuy

Transmogifier