New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devil May Cry 5

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Devil May Cry 5

Hey, did you see there's gonna be a new Devil May Cry game? There is, you know. Personally, I'm sold based on the E3 trailer alone, and I'll be getting it as soon as possible. I already know I'll love it, even if it sucks, which it won't. (DmC Devil May Cry is my favorite of the bunch, BTW)

Based on this first trailer, it looks like Nero's gonna have a bunch of new tricks up his sleeve, so that's always welcome. He also has a rockin' new haircut. This new engineer friend looks like a lot of fun as well, and they showed off so much of her in just a few clips. Top-notch character establishment, right there.

Anyway, let's talk about how cool the series is, and how much we enjoy it.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Devil May Cry 5

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Hey, did you see there's gonna be a new Devil May Cry game? There is, you know. Personally, I'm sold based on the E3 trailer alone, and I'll be getting it as soon as possible. I already know I'll love it, even if it sucks, which it won't. (DmC Devil May Cry is my favorite of the bunch, BTW)

Based on this first trailer, it looks like Nero's gonna have a bunch of new tricks up his sleeve, so that's always welcome. He also has a rockin' new haircut. This new engineer friend looks like a lot of fun as well, and they showed off so much of her in just a few clips. Top-notch character establishment, right there.

It's been confirmed for quite a while, they'd previously said it was going to be a Nero game, although they've also said that Trish is finally going to make a re-appearance and be important to the plot.

And HIGHLY disagree. Stupid stereotype trailer park trash girl with the unbelievably fake southern accent needs to be removed from the game immediately and never spoken of again.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yea the mechanic annoyed the hell out of me.
    I saw something about it being 3 demon hunters fighting a demon invasion, so either Dante, Virgil and Nero or Dante, Trish and Nero. Most likely the first. (Darkhorse in that race would be Bayonetta, be a hell of a twist if they managed to get her and angels into the game without it being leaked though.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Maximum hype. Except for the engineer friend, she seems rather annoying, but I don't really care unless they shoehorn her in to replace Kyrie as Nero's love interest. I'm aware that Kyrie was as one-dimensional as they come, but still...

And I'm 99% sure that the guy who rips Nero's arm off is Vergil. Big Bad Dad, eh?
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

For just a few seconds it looked like DmC2, then it all clicked.

Gameplay looks hype, I believe in the project. <3 Love Grandpa Dante.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

As I said over in the E3 thread, hell yes! Slightly disappointed that Nero appears to be the main character again instead of Dante, but Dante's in there, so hopefully he's playable. Plus people have already identified Vergil as the one who was tossing Nero around near the end of the trailer, so that's awesome. Hopefully there will be some Trish and Lady as well - Trish especially was a lot of fun to use in DMC4 remastered.

But yeah, damn did the nail the style, so at this point, I'm mostly excited*. So good to see the real Devil May Cry back after the reboot almost killed any hope of seeing it again.

*Only "mostly" because it's Capcom. Can't completely trust them to do anything right, if SF5 and Marvel Infinite are any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    It's been confirmed for quite a while, they'd previously said it was going to be a Nero game, although they've also said that Trish is finally going to make a re-appearance and be important to the plot.
    It's been rumored, not confirmed (and I'm not even sure where you heard the Trish rumor, that part I haven't heard before). The game was unannounced up until now.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: From Hideki Kamiya's recent tweets
    Show

"Nero goes to Red Grave, Nell's grandchild is helping him."

Nico is the granddaughter of Nell Goldstein(the creator of Ebony and Ivory, and descendant of the gunsmith that made Sparda's Luce and Ombra).

DMC Novel is canon now, again. And so is DMC2 apparently.

Also, trailer music video is out boys:

Spoiler
    Show
    Not too keen on this being Nero's battle theme, but could be worse. They could've called Combichrist.
    Last edited by Mikemical; 2018-06-11 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Every bit of that looks completely terrible...except the actual gameplay which looks very fun.

9. - Top - End - #9

Devil

seriously, why did they decide to keep DmC's art style?

Also engineer girls voice actress is a horrible miscast, that voice doesn't sound like it would come out of that person, also she phones it in so hard it reminded me of hearing an announcer at an old X-Games show trying to hype up some 18 year old doing a kick flip.

Gameplay looks great through.

if Nero's back that means so the old games probably are considered canon, so where does DMC5 fall in the timeline, will this finally be set after DMC2, or will that forever be the end of Dante's story?
    Last edited by chainer1216; 2018-06-11 at 02:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    seriously, why did they decide to keep DmC's art style?

Also engineer girls voice actress is a horrible miscast, that voice doesn't sound like it would come out of that person, also she phones it in so hard it reminded me of hearing an announcer at an old X-Games show trying to hype up some 18 year old doing a kick flip.

Gameplay looks great through.

if Nero's back that means so the old games probably are considered canon, so where does DMC5 fall in the timeline, will this finally be set after DMC2, or will that forever be the end of Dante's story?
    Yes, this will be taking place after Devil May Cry 2, as for exactly how LONG after, that hasn't been confirmed.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-06-11 at 02:53 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    As I said over in the E3 thread, hell yes! Slightly disappointed that Nero appears to be the main character again instead of Dante, but Dante's in there, so hopefully he's playable.
    Nero has grown on me over the years, even if he is just Jonny Yong Bosch as Himself again. The motorcycle sword was always dumb conceptually, but mechanically it added a lot and was fun to play with, and the demon arm (now robot arm I guess, but seems to at least have the same basic "grapple from a distance and kill" mechanic) was cool.

I AM hoping for multiple storylines taking place concurrently (like Kingdom hearts: Birth by Sleep) rather than the A side/B side story of 4, but I won't mind playing as Nero again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Not too keen on this being Nero's battle theme, but could be worse. They could've called Combichrist.
    It's uhh...certainly no "Time has Come", that's for sure.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

So, here's a question to puzzle over: who is the third character on the presumably box art for the game? Obviously it's Dante on the left and Nero in the center, but the one on the right is either all-new or a serious redesign of an older character. It doesn't look like the new mechanic girl, and being featured as prominently on the art as Dante definitely implies some importance. Black hair rules out most older characters - only Lady fits that, but obviously it looks quite a bit different than what we've seen of her before.

Re: mechanic girl - she's definitely the weak point of the trailer, no doubt there, but I'm reserving judgment on her, personally. With proper execution she could be an alright comedic sidekick. (I mean, how could her calling Nero's arm "well-functioning" be anything but the setup for something going wrong with it?)

I don't know about the video, but I quite like the song. It's no "The Time Has Come," but it's good, and I look forward to kicking some demon ass while it plays in the background.

Considering what Dante looks like in the trailer, it's almost certainly set after DMC2. He's clearly older than he's been in any of the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Nero has grown on me over the years, even if he is just Jonny Yong Bosch as Himself again. The motorcycle sword was always dumb conceptually, but mechanically it added a lot and was fun to play with, and the demon arm (now robot arm I guess, but seems to at least have the same basic "grapple from a distance and kill" mechanic) was cool.
    Honestly, my only problem with Nero per se is that he feels kind of pointless. In terms of character design and personality he's basically Dante Lite - so why not just have Dante instead? I mean, sure, the arm is kind of a cool and fun gimmick, but you could have just had a new sidekick character with that, rather than trying to replace Dante as the franchise lead. Or hell, even have Dante lose his arm and replace it with the demonic one (or mechanical one in this game), that could work too.

(The sword revving thing I must admit I never actually figured out when I played DMC4, so I pretty much went through the game without using it. Maybe it'll make more sense to me in the new game.)

I AM hoping for multiple storylines taking place concurrently (like Kingdom hearts: Birth by Sleep) rather than the A side/B side story of 4, but I won't mind playing as Nero again.
    Multiple concurrent storylines would be nice for sure. Swapping between portions focused on Nero with the new girl (and possibly the other cover art guy/girl?) and Dante with Trish and Lady would be fun.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2018-06-11 at 06:39 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #13

Okay, I'm seeing lots of negativity toward Nico, and I'm gonna need y'all to ease off.

You have a right to be wrong, of course. It's just that the thread instantly devolved into a negativity-fest about every single thing I mentioned. And this is meant to be a positive thread.
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2018-06-11 at 06:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I'm seeing lots of negativity toward Nico, and I'm gonna need y'all to ease off.

You have a right to be wrong, of course. It's just that the thread instantly devolved into a negativity-fest about every single thing I mentioned. And this is meant to be a positive thread.
    Uh huh. And you feel that the best way to stop 'negativity' is to say 'you're wrong, shut up about it'.

No. Just no.

She's a terrible mishmash of walking stereotypes and we will continue to discuss it, among the other good, bad and ugly that the trailer presents.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

15. - Top - End - #15

Devil

Not to sound mean but youre not a mod, just because you dont agree with our opinions doesnt mean you can tell us we're wrong and need to go away.

This is a thread about the Devil May Cry 5 reveal and all of us have given our honest feelings on it.

16. - Top - End - #16

Uh huh. And you feel that the best way to stop 'negativity' is to say 'you're wrong, shut up about it'.
    That's actually not what I said. I said "ease off", in a not-at-all-confrontational manner.

She's a terrible mishmash of walking stereotypes
    Like I said, you're free to be incorrect.

and we will continue to discuss it, among the other good, bad and ugly that the trailer presents.
    Cool, that's why I started the thread.

Not to sound mean but youre not a mod,
    I'm not even remotely approaching anything close to a hint that I might believe otherwise.

just because you dont agree with our opinions doesnt mean you can tell us we're wrong and need to go away.
    You're right that I can't tell you to go away, and I wasn't, so that's all covered. I can, however, tell you that you're factually wrong as if my own opinions are more true than yours.

Let's not go full Twitter and start accusing each other of trying to silence all opinions other than our own. I started this thread to discuss something I enjoy and am excited for, don't shout me down when I engage with it.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's not go full Twitter and start accusing each other of trying to silence all opinions other than our own. I started this thread to discuss something I enjoy and am excited for, don't shout me down when I engage with it.
    So just to break this down.

You arbitrarily called everybody that doesn't agree with you wrong. With literally no actual rational argument about why she's NOT a terrible character, by the way.

You DEMANDED that we stop expressing anything other than your arbitrarily right opinion. And yes, saying 'you need' us to do something is a DEMAND.

You cloak it in passive-aggressiveness by claiming its 'negative', and that this is a 'positive' thread.

And then you accuse somebody else of trying to 'shout you down'.

Just wow. The hypocrisy and total lack of self-awareness in you is absolutely HILARIOUS. I mean I actually laughed - that's not a joke.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

18. - Top - End - #18

(SNIP)
    You're extremely good at misunderstanding my posts and interpreting malice where there is none. I know what I said and how I meant it, and it would be nice if you understood as well.

But, you seem stuck on the idea of me being a stubborn, demanding hypocrite who can't bear the thought of another person not liking a fictional character, so I'm not exactly inclined to engage with you much more.

I'm honestly sorry for not communicating as clearly as I'd intended.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

You're extremely good at misunderstanding my posts and interpreting malice where there is none. I know what I said and how I meant it, and it would be nice if you understood as well.

But, you seem stuck on the idea of me being a stubborn, demanding hypocrite who can't bear the thought of another person not liking a fictional character, so I'm not exactly inclined to engage with you much more.

I'm honestly sorry for not communicating as clearly as I'd intended.
    Oh you were communicating clearly. Declaring YOU ARE WRONG YOU ARE WRONG is pretty clear.

But you certainly aren't 'engaging' anything.

'Engaging' would require you to actually put forth ANY rational argument for why the negativity towards Nico is not warranted. Thus far your only actual contribution to the discussion was 'she looks like fun' and 'top notch character establishment'. Which is neither objective fact, nor any kind of actual information about the character. It's certainly not a rebuttal to the negative impressions of the character.

From those 2 vague opinion statements, you arrogantly declared yourself right and everybody else wrong in the most confrontational way possible (multiple times), demanded we stop talking about it, and now are passive aggressively trying to play the victim and act like we're the bad guys for 'misunderstanding' you.

If you want to actually contribute to the thread, provide an actual reasoned and rational response why you think the character is good.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-06-11 at 11:44 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Children, please.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Honestly, my only problem with Nero per se is that he feels kind of pointless. In terms of character design and personality he's basically Dante Lite - so why not just have Dante instead? I mean, sure, the arm is kind of a cool and fun gimmick, but you could have just had a new sidekick character with that, rather than trying to replace Dante as the franchise lead. Or hell, even have Dante lose his arm and replace it with the demonic one (or mechanical one in this game), that could work too.

(The sword revving thing I must admit I never actually figured out when I played DMC4, so I pretty much went through the game without using it. Maybe it'll make more sense to me in the new game.)

Multiple concurrent storylines would be nice for sure. Swapping between portions focused on Nero with the new girl (and possibly the other cover art guy/girl?) and Dante with Trish and Lady would be fun.
    Nero is not Dante-Lite, I'm pretty sure of that. His wit is much more dry and sarcastic, and Dante's all in your face and laughing it up. While they're both somewhat laid-back, Dante doesn't take anything seriously by the time 4 rolls around, the whole Saviour thing was a day in the office for him, and Nero is quite serious about most things, reserving his attempts at humor for demons and antagonists.

The motorcycle sword is quite easy and extremely satisfying to use after you've figured out how to do it.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

22. - Top - End - #22

Children, please.
    Sorry, Pa. I'll behave myself, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    Nero is not Dante-Lite, I'm pretty sure of that. His wit is much more dry and sarcastic, and Dante's all in your face and laughing it up. While they're both somewhat laid-back, Dante doesn't take anything seriously by the time 4 rolls around, the whole Saviour thing was a day in the office for him, and Nero is quite serious about most things, reserving his attempts at humor for demons and antagonists.

The motorcycle sword is quite easy and extremely satisfying to use after you've figured out how to do it.
    Yeah, Nero is definitely his own separate breed of smart-ass. He's pissed off and involved in the Savior plot, and has much more of a "Screw everything about this" attitude. Dante, like you said, is pretty much doing a job, and it doesn't even seem all that strenuous for him. He makes fun of everyone, faffs about playing with his new toys after every boss, and is basically chill with everything exploding in his immediate vicinity.

The motorcycle sword is just extremely cool and fun. How can someone see a guy revving his sword to get gas all over it, lighting it on fire, and cutting demons in half, and say "Yeah, that's boring. I'm bored by motorcycle swords."? And then the guy holding it gets his sick demon arm cut off, so he has his uncle's friend's engineer granddaughter make him a bunch of rad robot arms to kill more demons with. Like, come on. That's just Cool.

23. - Top - End - #23

I like how /v/ of all places is having a blast with these news, while you people are here getting mad at there being a DMC5.

Nero actually looks good like this, helps to set him apart from Dante.
    I don't mind Nico that much, seems she's gonna be our divinity statue for Nero(buy upgrades, items, etc).
    The full song is very reminiscent of Shall Never Surrender, with some slow parts here and there but with clearly enough material for a battle theme.

"THE GAMEPLAY IS SO SLOW!"
    So is DMC4 without turbo mode, let alone running on an Xbone.

"THE CHARACTERS LOOK WEIRD!"
    That's RE Engine for you, I'm surprised it can handle DMC's off-ground combat so well to be honest. Remember how Chris looks in RE7?

"B-BUT MUH ANIME AESTHETICS!"
    Capcom's moving away from anime and aiming for more photo-realistic looks these days. It's what sells (God of War, The Last of Us, Detroit Become Human, MGSV, etc).

"IT LOOKS LIKE DmC!"
    Just because the environments are based on actually believable cities doesn't instantly make the game DmC. Plus seems we'll have a large variety of enemies, I saw Assaults(DMC1&4), Hell Prides(DMC3), Bloodgoyles(DMC3) and those insect-humanoid abominations. The Boss looked like Oranguerra(DMC2) but with DMC4-DmC elements.
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I like how /v/ of all places is having a blast with these news, while you people are here getting mad at there being a DMC5.
    Ackshually, the first 135 threads about this right after the announcements were full of people confused about Nero looking like Donte and people spewing the monkey paw meme.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the posts in this thread were from people slowpoking it up a tiny bit. It took everyone a tiny bit to calm down. Everyone wanted a new DMC, people simply got a bit jaded and cautious about it. Ninja Theory being booked for E3 also looked suspicious. If you looked at /r/devilmaycry during the release it was also full of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" from people who didn't think things through yet.

Aside from that I agree with you and I think hype is in order. It helps that whatever gameplay was shown looks like a return to form.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2018-06-12 at 12:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Spoiler: background comparison between DmC and DMC5
    Show

Spoiler: Blade/Assaults and Hell Prides
    Show

Spoiler: If this doesn't make it back I'm gonna be pissed
    Show

If you looked at /r/devilmaycry during the release it was also full of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" from people who didn't think things through yet.
    Leddit is full of DmC apologists, what did you expect? The people ****posting about DMC5 looking like DmC or saying "I feel sorry for DMC fans" are the ones that never played the older games other than 4.
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Leddit is full of DmC apologists, what did you expect?
    You misunderstand me, dude - everyone was pissed precisely because they jumped to the conclusion that the trailer was like DmC and not a return to the roots. Same as what happened on /v/ until the funposting died down.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    You misunderstand me, dude - everyone was pissed precisely because they jumped to the conclusion that the trailer was like DmC and not a return to the roots. Same as what happened on /v/ until the funposting died down.
    That's such a strange reaction, to me. I saw the new look and got even more excited. Why do people not like DmC's aesthetic, anyway?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Probably a gut reaction to being reminded of the dumpster fire that is NuDante. I was initially like OH GOD NO" because Nero looked a lot like him.

29. - Top - End - #29

Probably a gut reaction to being reminded of the dumpster fire that is NuDante. I was initially like OH GOD NO" because Nero looked a lot like him.
    Nobody's been able to give me a reason for hating DmC Dante, other than "He's not Classic Dante". It's always just unexplained insults and nonstop vitriol.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Nobody's been able to give me a reason for hating DmC Dante, other than "He's not Classic Dante". It's always just unexplained insults and nonstop vitriol.
    Nothing about him is interesting. There is no praise I can give the character. That alone is enough to dislike him, but the fact that he says some loathsome **** early on and the game constantly needles you for NOT liking him or preferring the better Dante (like the whole "This wig is dumb lol" scene) pushes it to hate.