New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What are some good turn-based, browser MMORPGs?

Back in my high school days, I remember playing browser-based MMORPGs (no downloads necessary, no playing screen, free to play, etc.; essentially just a website). That was over 10 years ago, so the landscape must have changed a lot since then, but I imagine they're still around; just not necessarily the ones I was playing back then.

I tend to prefer turned-based games, for example games that give you a set number of things to do each day, because advantage in those games stems more from seniority (and willingness to pay real money for boosts) than time available each day to play. I get the feeling that if I can get ahead more quickly by spending more hours playing, I may get addicted and let the game become an unwanted time-sink. Essentially, I want a game where I can log in each morning, spend 5-10 minutes "maintaining" my character, then log off for the day.

I welcome all recommendations.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: What are some good turn-based, browser MMORPGs?

Well, I got hooked on Kingdom of Loathing back in the day. However, when you get in for a rather long time, maintenance becomes quite a chore--so much so that fans put together an automated shell for the browser... shell. Should be good, though. It's still funny, clever, and there's plenty of puzzles if you don't spoil yourself. Not only that, nearly all of the limited-time stuff can still be accessed through the in-game currency store (though probably not ownable)

I've also heard about Improbable Island, which had the bottom banner ad in the forums here today, and I followed it long enough to get to name entry. There's a language alert if that's important.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Urban dead is one I go to now and again. It's a zombie themed MMO where you're either a zombie or a human (its possible to change sides within game, and sometimes happens frequently depending on circumstances). We used to have a GitP group on there, but it fell apart some years ago.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2018-07-02 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Urban dead is one I go to now and again. It's a zombie themed MMO where you're either a zombie or a human (its possible to change sides within game, and sometimes happens frequently depending on circumstances). We used to have a GitP group on there, but it fell apart some years ago.
    That still exists? Demmm. MFD represent.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    That still exists? Demmm. MFD represent.
    Yup, and still pretty active far as I can tell. Logged in earlier and Ackland mall had a nice crowed of zeds working on trying to nom umpteen survivors holed up inside. Almost took out a tasty warmblood myself (3hp left, at least I infected the poor sod).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Albion is not browser but cross platform. From browser I have in mind only OSRS