New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Peril & Fame 2: Andoran Act 2

Margot

The little witch smiled and wrinkled her nose. Sugar and flour danced out of Crocker forming into a fat little donkey shaped pastry. There was a small flash and the pastry was decorated in an icing mock up of the last outfit she remembered seeing Stray in.

"In honor of our mutual friend."
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

cool Re: Peril & Fame 2: Andoran Act 2

Hammerhead

Hammerhead brought his hand to his chest, a dwarven salute and signal of goodbye.

"Safe times to you, Jaeger. Let us depart, Cassandra, Margot."

And with that, Hammerhead began trudging in the direction of the river, ready to collect the bow before making the long journey back to Stray's castle.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"Very well," responded the druidess. "I am ready." In truth, she was more than ready to be away from the place of the bloodbath of villagers, even if they'd saved most of them. She hovered in mid-air, picking at her clothing and trying not to scowl.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

The wizard knight had remained silent as Ellarie conducted negotiations with the druid, having found his attention drawn equally between the group of hobgoblins, so incongruous in this gathering, and the lithe form of the green dragon. As his companion concluded niceties with the druid, and acquired his mark of passage, Elias bowed to the Bloodied Stag with a courtier's grace, turning towards the hobgoblin commander the druid had pointed out. Approaching the gathering of grey-skinned goblinoids, he gave a semblance of a salute.

"Commander Dysedrag, a pleasure. I am Sir Elias Apion of the Empire of Taldor, a stranger in these lands and soon to leave them. Before I depart, sir, I would ask one thing - what are your peoples' intentions for Oregent?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy?
    Show
    (1d20+16)[30]

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Arthfell

Dysedrag, evidently the taller and more wiry built of the trio, acknowledged Elias with a sneer, but said nothing while he looked over the wizard's gear. "You practice elf magic, don't you? What's a Taldan wizard doing in the Arthfell? Long way from home. What do you care what happens to Andorans?"

There was something about his appraising eye and the way he chose his words that told Elias the commander was far more intelligent than the average hobgoblin legionnaire.

Carnival

For a time, Lord Abarta stood perplexed, looking between his stuffed animal and his cookie. "Well. This was fun. This was a fun day. I uh ... I am going to see if they have one of those ski-ball games. Would you like to play the ski-ball with me, Jaeger?"

"Eh, well, I think I need to ..." The druid again gestured towards the tent.

"Oh! Yes. The dead bodies. Well. Good luck with that."

Abarta gave a last wave to Cassandra and went in search of carnival games.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Casting his own appraising eye over the hobgoblin commander, Elias paused as though considering his answer.

"Well deduced. This is little more than a diversion for my colleagues and I -
    our business is further north. We thought it might be a pleasant afternoon, to stroll through a forest so primeval."

He rubbed his bare chin with a hand a moment before continuing.

"In truth, I care little for the affairs of Andoran. But if the local yokels are in danger, it seems the neighborly thing to warn them."

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Arthfell

The Commander scratched the uneven scar on his chin thoughtfully. "The humans are always in danger. They make good slaves. If you think about it, you've been in danger since the fall of Azlant, ain't ya? It's always something. World's a dangerous place." His lips curled into a cruel grin.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-07-21 at 11:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Perhaps unexpectedly, Elias could not help but laugh in appreciation of the commander's comment.

"It is always a pleasure to encounter an educated soul. I suppose you're right, Commander, it is ever my race's fate to endure the fickle storms of history. As it is your race's fate to ever test that endurance."

He touched fingers to his forehead, a mark of respect one might give a worthy foe.

"A shame that our peoples sup on war rather than peace. But we are all slaves to fate, are we not?"
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2017-07-22 at 04:01 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie looked taken aback by the hobgoblin's words.

"Well, I don't know about that. I think I'd make an awful slave. I'm far too stubborn and always mouthing off at the wrong time too." She rubbed her nose as her words trailed off. He eyes found Elias,

"Are we done... here?" She waved the Druid's talisman vaguely towards the assembled who's who of forest badasses.

"I would hate to keep these folk from enjoying their evening any longer than strictly necessary."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Arthfell

"On the contrary, Miss Chapman," the rumbled, getting to his feet with a long stretch, "I've enjoyed your intrusion. These meetings are dull, if necessary. A little diversion if a welcome relief from the tedium. They're all so obnoxiously, undeservedly proud."

The green, nearly seven feet tall at the shoulders, lumbered towards the pair. He lowered his head and pressed near enough Elias that his breathing tousled the wizard's hair.

"Not like you. No. I think you've earned your right to barge in and bandy strong words about."
    Even whispering, the dragon's voice could be heard clearly across the gathering, now silent except for the crackle of the fire. "A little bird told me you're dragon slayers."

Silver Isle

After ten hours of nonstop flight aboard Crocker, the party finally neared the Silver Isle and the home of their fey "patron". The palace was a grand sight from the air, but somehow taking it all in at once made it seem less complicated, less mysterious. Only a few windows were lit from within, likely only the rooms perpetually illuminated with magic. The front door was surrounded by stone terrace and twin curved stairways leading up from the drive below and the bridge beyond. Statues stood silent vigil along the bridge every thirty feet. Like the marble nymphs in the grand stairs, each bore a pale blue magic flame which cast the whole structure in an ghostly hue. The darkwood double doors were closed.

11. - Top - End - #101

Hammerhead

Tumbling out of Crocker, Hammerhead took a moment to stretch himself out.

"Sweet Trudd, I thought I was going to lose feeling in my legs for a while there."

Although, on the upside, I got the chance to make some improvements on the recipe for my mutagen,
    so I suppose it isn't all bad.

Walking up to the darkwood double doors, Hammerhead knocked and called out.

"Hello? Your Highness? Prince Stray? We have returned!"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Though he endeavored to keep a mask of calm in place as the dragon closed to take his scent, Elias could not help the thrill of terror that ran up his spine. Still, once the great creature's head withdrew slightly he gave a low bow.

"You are clearly well informed, forest lord. Necessity brought us into conflict with another of your ancient race far to the east, and he did not survive our contest."

Straightening, Elias became keenly aware of the dragonskin hanging from around his shoulders.

"Might I ask your name, forest lord?"

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Arthfell

The dragon snorted and his webbed spines stood at attention. His eyes widened and he smiled, insomuch as a creature with barely any lip could. A green's protruded even with its mouth closed, like a crocodile.

"It's true then? You're the ones who killed Svangi." A moment passed which felt longer in Elias' head. The big green erupted in a barking laughter so loud and close it made their ears ring.

"Ha! That whelp deserved it. Sniveling weakling. Sticking his horn in where it doesn't belong. Overextending himself. Oh, I knew he was too much like mother. Only he wasn't strong enough to get away with it."

He stat on his haunches and turned his head to regard Elias and Ellarie from the side. It was less intimidating than talking directly to the enormous horn on his snout with his beady golden eyes set two feet back.

"My name is Gardithalion. You've earned that much for ridding the world of that disgrace. Be at peace. I have no quarrel with you. Athervox, though. Oh, mother had a soft spot for little Svangi, despite his weakness ... or because of it."

Silver Isle

The left door began to creek open all of three seconds after Hammerhead had knocked. Likely, it had been warded with Alarm to alert the prince to visitors.

"Yes, that is how doors work. I feel like we've grown. As a culture. We knock now instead of teleporting."

Stray's head sprung from the crack, completely horizontal and so high that he must have been levitating on the other side.

"So. Did you. Um. Did you do the thing? You uh ... you got, you know, the sword. Right? What the devil did I send you out for?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-07-23 at 07:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"In point of fact, we actually lost a weapon," Cassandra replied patiently, with a gesture toward Hammerhead. "If you recall, you sent us to track down your aunt, Ambrosia, and find out whether she had anything to do with the attempt to free Rhoswen. Spoiler alert: She didn't. Or she lied really well. Thanks for Abarta, by the way, though I think he's a tad annoyed at you now." Cassandra waited mere moments for Stray to remember before continuing. "Can we come inside? It's been a long day, and I need a hot bath. My lord."

15. - Top - End - #105

Hammerhead

"Also, just as a bit of a heads up, Your Highness: Ambrosia hypnotized a bunch of people at a carnival the town was holding, and then tried to kill them with a series of elaborate death traps. We managed to save almost all of them - I think something along the lines of twelve died - but they're probably not going to be happy when they come out of their stupor."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Margot

"And there was an angry Qadiran woman. She stabbed me, thank you very much." Margot shifted her shirt to show the small hole in it, the blood had been cleaned away however.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Her smile was strangely gentle in the face of the great Gardithalion, though her heartbeat had sped up exponentially once he had revealed his knowledge of their identity.

"It's one of the defining characteristics of mothers, I think. A transcendent indulgence for their progeny's oddities. So many of us would never have reached adulthood otherwise." Ellarie gave the dragon a polite bow.

"It is an honor to make your acquaintance, Gardithalion. I too enjoy the occasional birdsong. They have so much to say, if one only knows how to listen."
    Her face turned to Elias as if to silently ask if he more to say before they took their leave.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle

"Well. You got better."

Stray blinked. His head descended until he was at his normal height and upright, then he pulled the door open and retreated into the foyer. Within, the lights were set to their typical night-time setting, the same ethereal blue as the ones on the bridge. Stray was dressed much like Abarta -- some perverse facsimile of Chelish fashion with white lace at this throat and spilling out of the sleeves of his silver embroidered jacket. He was barefoot however.

"Keep in mind I've spent just ... all afternoon and evening drinking and dancing. You've met Abarta, but you've only had a taste of what they're like. They're all manic depressive except the depression just manifests as a different weirder kind of mania!"

Stray vanished in a whorl of blue and black, then reappeared seconds later with a cup of tea in hand. "I've put another pot on for you."

"So, Ambrosia killed people? With magic. That certainly sounds like her. And where is Ambrosia now? You've not stuffed my auntie's corpse into that walking bathtub, have you?"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"Ambrosia seems to have left the carnival between my conversation with her and our return with the Druid Jaeger. Either way, she did not show her face again - her real face, mind you, she originally had the guise of an old man - once we'd parted." After the excitement the three of them had had, Cassandra really didn't care how manic depressive Stray's hosts had been, but she kept that thought to herself. "We had intended to apprehend her, but circumstances were otherwise. Still, our efforts were fruitful to some degree, at least on the local level. Perhaps more, if Ambrosia can be believed. Was your time with Frilogarma productive?"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Following Ellarie's lead, Elias mirrored her bow to the dragon.

"An honor indeed, proud Gardithalion. We shall leave you in the peace you have granted, and speak of your magnanimity. If you would but allow one question - you have given us warning of Athervox, lest she seek revenge. Might you know where she ranges, that we not trespass her territory in ignorance?"

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Arthfell

Gardithalion gave a slow nod and a blink towards Ellarie when she mentioned it had been an honor. A dragon would never return the pleasantry aloud, but she took his gesture to mean he at least respected their strength and appreciated their tact.

"Athervox' dominion is the Whisperwood to the west. Like Svangi, she obsesses over the stars, the planets, and the Dark Tapestry, and so she is always at work in her observatory, the one she inherited from grandfather Gartheris. I do not believe anyone has been foolish enough to disturb her for over four decades -- not since she cast out House Thrune's spies in a spectacularly violent fashion. Depending on how deep she is in her charts, she may not even learn of poor Svangi's demise for years. Or perhaps she has already put her plans for revenge in motion. I shan't hold my breath either way. I have no stake in this." The green nodded once more in Elias direction and began slithering back to his seat at the rear of the glade.

Spoiler: Ellarie
    Show
    He's not lying exactly, but you suspect he means to loot his mother's observatory if you kill her.

Silver Isle

Stray mopped at his brow with his sleeve. Judging from the shine on his skin, he'd had quiet the evening.

"Were you not instructed to discretely learn of any connection to Rhoswen? Hmph. I suppose it can't be helped. She probably intended to slaughter the entire town and would have done so successfully without your presence. You said the people were hypnotized? Be more specific. As many details as you can remember. I'll need to know what spell she used."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-07-25 at 06:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"I am certain it was an Aura of the Unremarkable, or something similar at any rate," explained the druidess. "Though it had to have had a much large radius than that spell normally has. You know your aunt's abilities better than I, to be sure. The people there acted as if nothing was amiss, even while being injured." Discretely, indeed! "We attempted to be discrete, yes, but that other woman made things more difficult. That is not an excuse, merely an explanation," she added for clarification. "And it became apparent that Ambrosia intended something vile to happen at the Carnival, so we felt bound to avert it if we could. Alas that we were not wholly successful."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

The dragon's answer elicited a final bow from Elias.

"You have our humble thanks for your counsel."

Turning, he walked with Ellarie towards the edge of the clearing, where Kiyoko and Philip waited in the shadows.

"We should get some sleep. With the Stag's token, we should be safe until I can teleport us back in the morning."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Having reached Kiyoko and Philip safely, Ellarie encouraged the others to walk until they found a clearing suitable for the spell she had in mind to keep them comfortable in the forest overnight. She felt like she had been walking forever, though her legs were strong and it was her mind that was on the verge of overload. The day had been an exhilarating and exhausting seesaw of emotion. She focused quietly, forcing her mind still and conjured a small wooden cottage. Smiling at her handiwork, she opened the door and peered inside before she went in and started taking off her boots and armor.

"Go collect us some firewood, please. Only take dead branches from off of the ground. Do not harm any living plants." She instructed the unseen servant that was conjured within the cabin carefully and then started a fire with the gathered wood, rendering the little cottage cozy for the night. They awoke the next day without incident and arrived back at their inn. Ell could scarcely believe they had made it out of the forest unharmed.

"Why don't we get some breakfast and wait and see if our Captain shows up? We certainly have a lot to tell him."
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2017-07-27 at 05:59 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

25. - Top - End - #115

Hammerhead

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Silver Isle

Stray mopped at his brow with his sleeve. Judging from the shine on his skin, he'd had quiet the evening.

"Were you not instructed to discretely learn of any connection to Rhoswen? Hmph. I suppose it can't be helped. She probably intended to slaughter the entire town and would have done so successfully without your presence. You said the people were hypnotized? Be more specific. As many details as you can remember. I'll need to know what spell she used."
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    Cassandra

"I am certain it was an Aura of the Unremarkable, or something similar at any rate," explained the druidess. "Though it had to have had a much large radius than that spell normally has. You know your aunt's abilities better than I, to be sure. The people there acted as if nothing was amiss, even while being injured." Discretely, indeed! "We attempted to be discrete, yes, but that other woman made things more difficult. That is not an excuse, merely an explanation," she added for clarification. "And it became apparent that Ambrosia intended something vile to happen at the Carnival, so we felt bound to avert it if we could. Alas that we were not wholly successful."

As Cassandra outlined what had happened, Hammerhead perked up, and spoke.

"Oh, and another thing, very important, your highness. Aside from the woman who seemed to be in cahoots with Ambrosia - and who stole my beloved hammer, no less - we also encountered the Cold Riders, three of them. We managed to kill one of them and wound another, but then the remaining two got away."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle

Stray went quiet for a while. Cassandra could see the mischief had gone out of his eyes. Now they were just glassy and burdened with some private ordeal. He didn't even bother to correct everyone that it was "Your Grace" and not "Your Highness".

"I'm sorry about Last Word, Yandeath. I'll see what I can do to have it returned. Can't be too difficult to track down a magic dwarven longhammer here in cow country."
    He patted the dwarf on the shoulder. "Why don't you all retire to the east wing? I'll have some food brought up. I shall be in my library."

No mention of where in the palace this specific library might be located.

27. - Top - End - #117

Hammerhead

As Stray's eyes went glassy, Hammerhead adopted a look of concern. Ordinarily, he would have been rather grateful for the assurance that Last Word would be recovered (and he trusted he would be, when this was over), but he spoke first instead.

"I have a sinking feeling that I know what the answer is going to be, but... are you alright, my Prince?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-07-27 at 12:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle

Stray had already turned his back on them and made a few steps towards the stairs. "Ambrosia may have thousands of years on me, but she's forgotten her history. She's shortsighted, vain and greedy child. The magic you described, it wasn't a spell -- there's no spell that could do that. This was an artifact and I mean to find out who put it in her hands."

He glanced back over his shoulder, "There's nothing more for you to do tonight. Have a scone and get some rest."

Oregent

With a little bit of bothering, the party succeeded in entering the Diamond Regiment's barracks, or at least their heavily guarded waiting room, which meant it was guarded by one heavy sergeant who was having a thick stack of pancakes for breakfast. Within minutes, the Captain they'd spoke to the previous morning entered, hair still wet from grooming. He'd nicked himself shaving and periodically dabbed at his chin with a red handkerchief between sips of coffee.

"Morning," he said curty, having forgotten their names or at least forgotten if they'd given them. "Surprised to see you back so soon. Or at all. A welcome surprise, granted. But, as you've not reported to the bounty office, may I assume you've met with mixed results regarding your sylvan sortie?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-07-28 at 01:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

"I'm just as surprised as you are, Captain. Especially considering what we were up against. Though we did happen to kill a werewolf shortly after we entered the forest, a big one. We didn't take a trophy from him though I don't think?" She looked to the others gathered around her.

"More importantly, we found the Blooded Stag. We even spoke with him and his dragon. The hobgoblins weren't too friendly though. The whole humans are only good for slaves bit, I'm sure you're familiar." She sighed.

"Though this Hobgoblin was particularly intelligent." Ellarie did a double take at her companions and frowned.

"Well, perhaps not as intelligent as you all." She waved a hand in her companions direction.

"But maybe as intelligent as I am." She shrugged.

"Commander Dysedrag, I believe it was." She turned back to the Captain to see if he was keeping up.
    #Notallinfluencers

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"More to the point, there's a coalition of druids, hobgoblins, fey, magical beasts, predatory plants, and dragons in the Arthfell who are not terribly pleased with the rampant habitat destruction. Now, I don't personally care about the economics or environmental factors behind this, but if you plan on continuing as you are, you'll need to do more than send in some dashingly good-looking mercenaries. You'll either need some kind of planar super-champion or an army."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.