New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Peril & Fame 2: Andoran Act 2

Cassandra

Cassandra burned with a desire to know now about the artifact Stray mentioned, but she stamped it down. They were all tired, and rest really was the best thing. After a little food. "Let's go," she said to the others, stifling a yawn. "The world can wait until tomorrow."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Margot

"Should I leave Crocker outside? Last time he was just already in so I didn't think about it... I can put some slippers on him to protect your nice floors."
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle

"Yeah, put some pink booties on him because that'll be hilarious." Stray smirked, cheered up momentarily before he puffed away to wherever it was he went.

The next day at brunch, (if breakfast was severed by anyone in the castle, Stray didn't sanction it) the Prince appeared with a bowl of freshly cut pineapple. He ate from it bare-handed and only offered some to the rest of the table after he'd taken several bites in silence. The bowl was balanced on a worn black leather tome with silver lettering down the spine. "The Book of Kas" in Sylvan.

"The Duke of Aerilon was an avid collector of antiquities, but he prized fey curiosities above all else due to his sorcerous bloodline. He kept it a secret, of course, since the source of his bloodline didn't run through his lord father. He never told anyone he was a sorcerer and the poor man died in his fifties from an blood clot. In his collection, and don't ask me how I know this (definitely ask me how I know this) was a misplaced weapon of the First World. Naturally, this one was kept off the display shelves when company came round. I'm positively vexed by how he came by it in the first place, but the description from his secret grimoire is right on."

Once he'd sucked the pineapple juice of his fingers, he began flipping through the book. "A pink, glassy orb measuring six inches in, oh, I'll spare you the details. The point is it's only got the one use. It's gone now and Ambrosia can't do any more harm with it. The real point is, I know the son of a bitch who gave it to Ambrosia in the first place because the orb and estate passed to the Duke's daughter and she married into the fifty seventh layer of the Abyss. I've found our mysterious magic user with inexplicably ancient knowledge who thought it would be a laugh to unleash Rhoswen on the world."

Oregent

The young captain took in their report with a stoic expression. Once Ellarie was done explaining, he gave a slight nod to indicate that he at least believed all she said. "Quite," he said with a mirthless smile. "As it happens, we are the army, Miss. Talmanor's a bit scarce on the ground at the moment, but we have our planar patron as well. The Arthfell is an ancient place, full of all manner of dreadful things. As you saw for yourselves. The truth of it is there's nothing the regiment can do about it. Dozen miles of pitch black with owlbears and dragons."

He paused long enough to dab at his chin once more and glance down at the handkerchief. "The hobs though. Hmm. I shan't say what the military doesn't know, but I shall suffice with, "Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention"." He looked genuinely pleased.

"The big one you killed. Wasn't the blighter with claws, was it? Oh, eight feet tall?"

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"That sounds right. He was a bit taller when we met him due to magical enhancement, but he shrank back down after we killed him. Werewolf, big, had the magic belt that Elias is wearing and a tacky... shrine with 'hide and seek' on it."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Oregent

"That's the one." The captain smiled at the mention of the belt. "That aberrant beastie has killed at least twenty over the years. That's the ones we know of, the ones anyone cares enough about to say they're missing. Have a word with my secretary on the way out and she'll see your compensated. It's not that much considering all the danger you've put yourselves in, but you have the thanks of the republic and a bit of coin."

For a moment he searched himself and the area for something to write with, then settled on shouting, "Sheila! Give the nice adventurers two thousand on the way out!"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra had spent some time before bed soaking in a bath, and had discovered much to her chagrin that pixie wings, when wet, were unsuitable for flight. She'd had to toddle off to bed on her feet, an obnoxious task for someone who'd bother shrunk and quickly become used to flight. While she was waiting for the wings to dry, she idly wondered if she could talk Stray into giving her a human-sized form with wings. A swan-maiden, perhaps?

Next day they gathered once more. "You're implying that the husband of the Duchess Elizabeth Roloviel-Meresin is responsible for this," the pixie-shaped druidess said, her blue eyes widening at the accusation. "Do you have any idea what the repercussions of that becoming known would be?" Cassandra asked him pointedly. She waved a small hand to forestall an immediate answer. "Of course you do, but it's preposterous! What possible motive could he have? The Meresins are probably richer than Stavian, so it's not like they'd benefit that much from sowing chaos. Unless they mean to sweep in as the rescuers and take the throne. Gods know Stavian's a fool and could stand to be replaced, but I'd rather have his daughter than someone who consorts with dark fey. But I still don't believe it. Not with the reputation they have."

She paused to recollect her thoughts. "You said before that Rhoswen will keep for now, after we replaced two of the stones. Let's assume you're right. What's our next step?"
    Last edited by Othniel; 2017-07-29 at 02:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie brightened at the Captain's pleasure, and at the mention of the reward money.

"Thank you Captain. I wish we could do more, but alas... our business is pressing." She trailed off, knowing there was little him and his small force could do as well, but wishing them the best.

"Oh, before I forget, it's the Black Talon Legion Commander Dysedrag belongs to. And reportedly, there are three werewolf packs who don't necessarily agree with each other all the time." She hesitated, considering giving him the Bloodied Stag's token, but decided against it. Them running into the forest would only serve to accelerate their demise, she was sure.

"That's all the pertinent details I can remember. I think it's time for us to get going." She looked up at Elias for confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle

"Well, I had rather hoped you'd pop back to Taldan and kill Turel on my suggestion." There was no humor in Stray's voice.

"I was there in Oppara when he clawed his way to the top from obscurity. I've known all along he was a sorcerer, and I've seen first hand the insidious things he'll do to get what he wants. He had Elizabeth Roloviel's husband murdered and pinned the accusation on me. His public face is squeaky clean though. I doubt his own lackies even know who they're really working for."

Annoyed, and clearly tired from a sleepless night, he angrily flipped through the pages of Kas' journal. "It's hardly personal. The thought of Elizabeth sharing a bed with that snake only barely fills me with rage. I've spent the night putting together the pieces though. Turel's on the short list of arcanists in Avistan powerful enough to move the stones and he had access to the Eye of Rapture thanks to his marriage. And the inexplicable Qadiran woman? It all makes sense, doesn't it? Someone wants blood in Andoran. Because, what will happen when Stavian thinks this country is weak?"

He pointed the rhetorical question squarely at Cassandra.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-07-30 at 09:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"Just pop back home and insert myself back into high society just like that, yes?" Cassandra asked lightly, snapping her fingers once for emphasis. "I haven't exactly cultivated a respectable reputation in Taldoran social circles." Her lips met in a thin smile. "There goes Cassandra, what a disappointment she must be to her parents, mucking about in the wilderness. No sense of propriety, that one." She did a passable imitation of a Lady she'd once overheard (and pretended not to).

Cassandra sighed. "I'm sorry; I do not mean to be flippant, but the Court of Taldor is not a very welcoming place to me. By my own choosing, of course, and I would not change my past decisions, even knowing where my path has led. Rowan always said to be as cognizant of the metaphysical dangers of freedom as the physical dangers of the open road, but also never to regret a path once chosen. I do not do so now, though I believe looking back has given me perspective." The perspective was that Lady Cassandra Vallas was now beginning to think more of others, and less of herself (solely at any rate). The desperate bid to save as many villagers as they could at the carnival had stoked the embers of her conscience, and she wanted to continue in that pursuit.

"I have an idea," the druidess said suddenly. "A request, really. Send me to Syntira first. If it pleases her, I could be made an ambassador to the Court of Taldor, serving the purposes of the Fey in seeking peace. That would perhaps give me the station I need to re-enter those circles more quickly than I could as my own self, something other than the form of a pixie. Helpful though it has been, I need the ability to use my shifting powers without losing the disguise permanently. This may hopefully enable us to learn more about Turel's plans, and aid us in preventing further bloodshed. I already have one foot in both worlds. Perhaps that can be made truer still. Please. I will swear myself to Syntira's service. And yours, your Grace, if you wish it."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hammerhead

As Cassandra and Stray discussed what had to be done next, Hammerhead stroked his beard, deep in thought. Eventually, he spoke.

"As long as we're discussing our next move, what is the best way that I can contribute to this? If I'm understanding you two correctly, doing this Turel fellow in is going to require a lot of intrigue, and in that regard, I'd stick out like a sore thumb? Shall I just be playing the part of bodyguard once more? I have no objections if that's the case, mind, just thought I'd bring it up."

"Also, I'll bite - how did you know that the Duke of Aerilon had a weapon of the first world in his collection?"
    Everything dissolves into blue.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle

Stray was quiet for a while, sucking on his bottom lip and staring at the wall between and behind Hammerhead and Cassandra.

"I ask too much. Forgive me." He laughed, though his eyes did not move. "For a moment, I honestly did expect you to traipse back to Taldor to assassinate a duke. If Turel sat on the throne, I think the economy would recover, at least. After the civil war, of course. But that can't be helped. Not yet. I don't have the power to stop his machinations. And you, well, no offense. Perhaps one day."

He cradled the book to his chest and wrapped his arms around it. "You're not my vassals. I shouldn't be sending you on errands anyway. If you want to speak to Syntira, you have my blessing. I can take you there myself. Whatever you do after, it should be of your own volition."

The prince laughed again, half choking this time. "Gods, it's a good thing there are people smarter than me in the world fighting against evil. I'm rubbish at it."

12. - Top - End - #132

Hammerhead

"You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, Your Grace. You got us to go to Falcon's Hollow and stop the Cold Riders, didn't you? A lot of lives would have been lost if you'd not sent us there."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra shivered. Even having this conversation could be considered treason in some circles. Quickly mastering herself, the druidess gave a nod to Stray. "No offense taken. It is...something of a relief to know I do not have to assassinate a duke. Or attempt to assassinate a duke. Not yet, at any rate. Speaking of which, I hope my parents aren't in any danger. They have a bit of a cordial relationship with Turel and his wife."

"I do desire to speak with Syntira. And perhaps Aripha as well, eventually, should she be willing to see me. I would welcome my companions continued company, should they be willing. And there is the matter of Hammerhead's maps, if he has not forgotten that. I would suggest we try to pick up Ambrosia's trail, but she will not likely let us find her a second time. Beyond that, well, I suppose we see what our path lays before us."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Having collected their modest reward from the captain's clerk, Elias led the way back to the street and the open air. Taking a deep breath of the assembled scents of life in Oregent, he turned back to his companions.

"Well, that was a bracing adventure, but we should probably move on. Unless any of you have further business to attend to, let's fetch Trisha and the horses and return to our true business."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"Elias... why are we dragging Trisha around? She's not exactly earning what you pay her." The tiefling shrugged. "Other than that, yeah, we should get a move on."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

"You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, Your Grace. You got us to go to Falcon's Hollow and stop the Cold Riders, didn't you? A lot of lives would have been lost if you'd not sent us there."

"Well, that is kind. And likely true. I suppose I'll add it to the list of times I've prevented a town from being wiped off the map. Six. It's six times."
    Stray smiled politely and added something in Minkaian with a shockingly polished accent.

"I do desire to speak with Syntira. And perhaps Aripha as well, eventually, should she be willing to see me. I would welcome my companions continued company, should they be willing. And there is the matter of Hammerhead's maps, if he has not forgotten that. I would suggest we try to pick up Ambrosia's trail, but she will not likely let us find her a second time. Beyond that, well, I suppose we see what our path lays before us."

"Eh. Leave Ambrosia to me. She's lost her toy now, and you've busted up her little carnival. Odds are good she'll go off and sulk about that for a few years. The Cold Riders as well. They'll want revenge, but they may be years plotting it. I would recommend a trip to the mountains to put them down for good, but worse things lurk in the snowy crags. Things even I fear."

He paused, thinking for a moment. "What is this about a map? You never said you had a map. I like maps."

New Falcon's Hollow

Elias and company enjoyed a ride of a few days north to the last bastion of civilization before making their departure towards Droskar's Crag. As they approached the River Foam and the lumber village nestled on its southern shore, they saw that dozens of men were hard at work constructing a wooden palisade with sharpened spikes, blackened and hardened with fire.

As they approached, a half orc in chainmail broke off from the group and approached with his sword drawn, waving the party down at a distance. "Oi, you lot!" he yelled, "Who are you and what's your business?"

17. - Top - End - #137

Hammerhead

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show

[QUOTE=Nefarion Xid;22255725]"You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, Your Grace. You got us to go to Falcon's Hollow and stop the Cold Riders, didn't you? A lot of lives would have been lost if you'd not sent us there."

"Well, that is kind. And likely true. I suppose I'll add it to the list of times I've prevented a town from being wiped off the map. Six. It's six times."
    Stray smiled politely and added something in Minkaian with a shockingly polished accent.

"Eh. Leave Ambrosia to me. She's lost her toy now, and you've busted up her little carnival. Odds are good she'll go off and sulk about that for a few years. The Cold Riders as well. They'll want revenge, but they may be years plotting it. I would recommend a trip to the mountains to put them down for good, but worse things lurk in the snowy crags. Things even I fear."

He paused, thinking for a moment. "What is this about a map? You never said you had a map. I like maps."

I don't remember anything about a map eith-

Oh! THAT map!

"Oh, right, yes, I'd almost forgotten myself. It's in this thing right here."

Hammerhead dug the offending item out of his backpack and handed it to Stray.

"I confess I may have skimmed over a lot of it, but it was a travelogue that belonged to a woman I knew briefly before... well, to be quite blunt, she was killed during an expedition. There's a map in here indicating a few points of interest."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Margot

As everyone discussed the events of the previous day, Margot munched happily on the pineapple Stray had brought in. It was a rare treat in Galt. In fact it'd only been allowed to the nobility before they'd all been murdered. She smiled to herself. Pineapple is as good a reason as any for a revolution. The mention of a map grabbed her attention however.

"We've had a treasure map this whole time and you guys were futzing around playing hero instead?"
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2017-08-02 at 01:31 PM.
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

19. - Top - End - #139

Hammerhead

"We kind of got distracted after the whole 'monsters coming out of the fog which in turn lead to a dead druid which in turn lead to a broken open fey prison' thing."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle

Stray spent several minutes examining Aquila's notebook, scanning it with magic, sniffing it, even licking one page, and then reading it backwards. His brow knit as he read and he grew tense and pale.

"Gods. Victoria wasn't just looking for adventure, she was trying to find the three Lesser seals of Tar-Baphon. I don't know what could posses someone to do something so foolish. Well. I do. I do and it worries me. This isn't knowledge any one person should have. The locations are secret for a reason."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-08-02 at 10:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"Our business is, by definition, not your business. We are, however, merely passing through." Kiyoko shrugged, most of the hostility having drained from her voice over the course of the sentence. "Who are you?"

22. - Top - End - #142

Hammerhead

Hammerhead grew increasingly nervous as Stray grew tense and pale.

"I've never heard of the seals of Tar-Baphon. I'm guessing there's a very good reason they're secret?"

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

The druidess paled visibly. "That's worse. So much worse than an uppity sorcerer trying to stir up trouble in Taldor." Cassandra was vividly recalling a moment when, in the tomb of the dragonslayers, a ghost had touched her. She shivered, and could once more feel the icy touch. "I hate undead. Hate!" The tone of her voice said it was more fear than hate.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Margot

The witch leaned back and sunk into her chair. "What would that monster even want now after all these years? He had sought godhood. He considered Aroden a cheater, and Aroden murdered him. Everything the Whispering Tyrant did seemed like an attempt at revenge for his murder. So Taldor trapped him the second time, but he's been sealed so long Taldor has all but destroyed itself. I guess it doesn't really matter. The fact is it took divine intervention to stop him both times, and Aroden is long gone. I suppose Iomedae would pick up the fight. She was still mortal during the Shining Crusade. She must have seen the mess he caused first hand. Should we call a priest?"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra drew her knees up and hugged them to her chest as Margot presented her knowledge. "You said this Victoria was after the Lesser seals. That implies the existence of Greater seals, no? What would one even do with the seals, aside from the obvious answer of breaking them...if you wanted an apocalypse?"

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Isle

"Great Seal," Stray corrected. "There's only one and that's the seal atop Gallowspire. The three lesser or sympathetic seals empower the Great Seal. If they're all broken, then the Great Seal is vulnerable. As long as at least one stands, I'm given to understand Gallowspire is beyond the reach of even the gods."

He paused to collect this thoughts. "One of the seals has already been broken. That sentence alone is dangerous enough information in the wrong hands, but rest assured the worst hands already have it. Not all of Tar-Baphon's followers retreated with him. Many were left at large when the Seal was put in place. A few have been hunted down, but it's impossible to say exactly how many remain. Now, given that the people charged with protecting the lesser seals know where they've been hidden, I would hazard to guess that our dearly departed Victoria worked on behalf of the Tyrant, or at least one of his cronies on the outside. Hmph. I don't suppose it's too much to hope that you brought her skull with you?"

New Falcon's Hollow

Sweat began to bead on the half-orcs brow immediately and he took a step back while lowering his sword. "I-I'm sorry. It's me job to ask questions of strange folk. N-not that you're strange! You're all, very normal, very friendly looking people!"

The group of laborers he'd come from didn't look so impressed. They continued to glare for a moment longer before returning to their palisade.

"People have been going missing. Fifteen just last week. Folks isn't very trusting in times like this."

27. - Top - End - #147

Hammerhead

Hammerhead spoke up.

"So, just to clarify. I'm getting enough context clues to guess that this Tar-Baphon guy was apparently some sort of ancient bad guy sealed away to stop him from taking over the world, and that these seals are what's stopping him from rising up - but what is he, exactly? A lich? A wizard? A dragon? Some other sort of monster?"

"And, no, we did not bring her skull with us. Last I saw of her, she was cut down at the ruined monastery where I was captured, and then met Cassandra when she and a bunch of others broke me out."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Margot

"He was human once. Now he's a lich, I guess, or maybe some horrific pseudo-god. Once you're fighting gods I'm not sure it matters what you are. Point is he'd kill us all. Not even intentionally. On the bright side, he probably still hates Taldor so chances are good he'd murder Turel for you too... if you're in one of those 'just want to watch the world burn' kind of moods."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie watched the tiefling handle the hostile laborer. Kiki certainly seemed to have a way with half-orcs. Her expression turned to dismay as the man spoke of the town's missing persons problem. Was every town the encountered doomed to have some sort of predicament?

"Missing persons you say?" She scratched her cheek thoughtfully, not entirely convinced she wanted to get involved.

"Was there some sort of pattern to the disappearances?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

New Falcon Hollow

The half orc gestured to the south east where there was a rough circle about two hundred yards wide of dead grass. There were still some wagons left there, but the tents has been pulled down.

"Quinn's Carnival came to town five days ago. Everyone who went says that had a real good time, but nobody seems to remember much of it besides how good the beer was. The next day, that's when people started to figure some had gone missing. We ain't found nothing round the fair grounds, but one bull-man, half burnt up. No sign of the missing. No blood. No tracks. No sign of Quinn or any of the carnies neither."

Silver Isle

"As a mortal man, Tar-Baphon fought Aroden, a god, and made him bleed. He rose again as a lich millennia later and only the combined of humanity and dwarf kind pushed his undead army back to what to Ustalav. If the Great Seal of Gallowspire breaks, Taldor won't be able to save us this time. The fighting will come down to Hell itself aiding Cheliax. Could they win? I find it likely. Asmodeus is cleverer than Tar-Baphon could ever wish to be. But Avistan will burn and Thrune will claim what isn't smoldering."
    Stray sunk into his chair fidgeted with the buttons on his coat.