New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Knights of the Old Republic: Return of the Sith - Browsing for ideas

Quote Originally Posted by kraftcheese View Post
    So it's a sort of reverse "That's no moon!" situation?
    They are close enough that they share an atmosphere, IIRC. I don't know how that would work, outside of space opera.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Knights of the Old Republic: Return of the Sith - Browsing for ideas

Ossus had to be evacuated in a mad rush when a cluser of nearby stars exploded. Which means at least one of those stars would have had to be within the same solar system. Star Wars space does not work like normal space. Which is one of the things that plants it firmly in fantasy.

Which is actuallly one of the things that I worry about. Most of my ideas for villains and conflicts are too logical and reasonable. To really recreate the Star Wars feel it has to be magical.

Actually, this alternate history for a KotOR Dark Side ending sucks. It's boring.

I first thought about setting it 200 years aftee KotOR so I could discard Revan as some past historic figure. (He's getting way overhyped by fans and later writers, though that's the case for pretty much all Sith and Jedi as well.) And limiting the Sith Empire to the Rim was so that there's still a Republic to be threatened after all that time.
    But this makes the Sith Empire just some third degree dictators no more threatening than Hutt Space, the Hapes Cluster, or the Argazdan Redoubt, which only still exists because the Republic doesn't think it's worth the trouble to destroy it. And I was thinking too much in free roaming sandbox mode while Star Wars should be daring struggles in front of an epic background.

The Force is not strong with this one.

So here's an idea for an upgraded version:

20 years have passed since the battle of the Star Forge and the Sith Empire has not retreated to it's bastions in the Outer Rim to dig in for the long run, but instead has simply stalled in its offensive against the Republic since Revan died. And now the Empress is seeking for ancient Sith knowledge that will enable her to continue the conquest of the galaxy.

Cathar is now part of the Empire.
    Dathomir lies in Imperial space but has been pretty much in constant rebellion since the first day, with the Witches refusing to bow to the Sith. But they don't want any Jedi meddling as well.
    Ithor is right on the front and widely expected to be one of the first targets when the Sith resume their invasion of the Repubic.
    Dantooine is also in Imperial territory though considered insignificant. With the destruction of Ossus and the loss of Dantooine, as well as the death of Odan-Ur and the Jedi being highly decentralized at this time, the Temple on Coruscant has only very limited information about details of the Great Hyperspace War and the Ancient Sith. The ruins of the Enclave are one place where one could find out more about what the Empress is up to.
    Mandalore has been impossible to capture and exists as a tiny neutral region between the Empire and the Republic.
    Ord Mantel is not simply a fleet base but the Republic headquarter for the ongoing war with the Sith.
    Saleucami is rolling in credits for being the main space port where goods from the Republic, the Empire, and Hutt Space are traded freely.

Adascorp secretly providing valuable biotech to the Sith and planning to take over Arkania still works as a side plot.
    Czerka Corp paying Trandoshan Slavers to hunt Wookiees to be sold to the Sith becomes more interesting with a war going on nearby.
    And a Krath cult on Saleucami would threaten to hand over the planet fully to the Sith.

More or less the same pieces, but all a bit more dramatic now.
    Last edited by Yora; 2017-07-14 at 03:37 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    So here's an idea for an upgraded version:
    20 years have passed since the battle of the Star Forge and the Sith Empire has not retreated to it's bastions in the Outer Rim to dig in for the long run, but instead has simply stalled in its offensive against the Republic since Revan died. And now the Empress is seeking for ancient Sith knowledge that will enable her to continue the conquest of the galaxy.
    And the Starforge?
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Being effectively a non-movable superweapon with a known location, I think that any scenario requires it to be destroyed.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying