New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXII: Paris Needs Pants

I hope Ivo's got the right guy, it's gonna be BAD if he comes down like an avalanche on some poor innocent bystander!

And I too agree that Ivo probably has the wrong idea here. Whoever shot Greenclaw pretty much HAD to be aiming at him. If he'd just missed, unless it's a one shot gun, he could have plugged Ivo before Ivo could have reached him. This is setting up an interesting series. Slimy Stan was apparently drinking with whoever stabbed him. Greenclaw was drinking with Ivo, saw someone come in behind him with a gun, and said nothing. Therefore, whoever is responsible for all this was known to both men, and they trusted him/her enough to lower their guard. And died for it.

Also, drinking in this story when Ivo is around is pretty darn dangerous...

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Why does he think that Charlemagne -- the now-dead drinking buddy from the last two pages -- is responsible for this killer?
    I thought that as well, but looking back, the shooter was behind Sharktooth while Charlemagne was sitting in front of him. Its not that clear, but Based on that, Charlemagne would have been sitting in a position where he would be able to clearly see the shooter who was behind sharktooth. That's what Sharktooth means when he says that Charlemagne must have been smiling to the guy as he took the shot.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2017-09-22 at 08:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's just about within the bounds of possibility that the shooter poked his head in the door, loosed off a shot and then ran away, so Charlemagne didn't see him any more clearly than Ivo did. I would have expected at least *some* surprised reaction from the latter before the shot hit him, in that case...

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

This raises the question of why the shooter didn't shoot Sharktooth. If it was simply a matter of "I'm willing to kill people to prevent Ivo from getting information from them" then the simplest solution would be to kill the lone investigator rather than every single lead.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    This raises the question of why the shooter didn't shoot Sharktooth. If it was simply a matter of "I'm willing to kill people to prevent Ivo from getting information from them" then the simplest solution would be to kill the lone investigator rather than every single lead.
    He missed and his gun would take too long to reload get off a second shot before Ivo got to him?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #396

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    He missed and his gun would take too long to reload get off a second shot before Ivo got to him?
    Which again brings us back to the assassin being a really, really terrible shot--unbelievably bad, in fact. I'm pretty sure (or at least I'm hoping) that the explanation for this is not going to turn out to be utter incompetence on behalf of the bad guys.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Multi-shot handguns exist; we've seen Bang and Martellus use them. How common they are, though, is unclear.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Which again brings us back to the assassin being a really, really terrible shot--unbelievably bad, in fact. I'm pretty sure (or at least I'm hoping) that the explanation for this is not going to turn out to be utter incompetence on behalf of the bad guys.
    Unfortunately, that would mean Ivo made a pretty basic mistake for an experienced PJ and would make him look bad, IMO. I don't know what to think.

ADDED: It would be kind of neat though if the idea was to eliminate the witness and lead Ivo into a trap for some reason.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-09-23 at 12:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    This is my theory too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It would explain how the murderer is getting into and out of areas; no one can see them. Steal the Snail, get the various criminal factions to collapse into open warfare in a struggle for supremacy or finger-pointing, and then be authorized by Lady Heterodyne to go in there and clean house with Extreme Prejudice™. Et voila, no more organized crime in Mechanicsburg.
    Good theory. I like it because it fits a couple other points:

Spoiler
    Show
    It explains why Ivo kept on smoothly with the conversation - he couldn't see anyone behind Sharktooth. And it explains why the shooter didn't target Sharktooth. Drozeki likes Sharktooth.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Good theory. I like it because it fits a couple other points:

Spoiler
    Show
    It explains why Ivo kept on smoothly with the conversation - he couldn't see anyone behind Sharktooth. And it explains why the shooter didn't target Sharktooth. Drozeki likes Sharktooth.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This DOES explain everything regarding the murder of Greenclaw and how the killer is accomplishing his acts. The one flaw being, there were two glasses in Squeezy Stan's apartment. He was drinking with whoever killed him. That wouldn't be possible if it was Drozeki, because Stan wouldn't be able to see him or know he existed.

Unless, of course, Stan was one of those constructs who could see the Watch...

11. - Top - End - #401

Yeah, the theory discussed above certainly is one of the more likely possibilities. Another is that the Snail is a sentient construct and arranged for its own theft for some as-yet unknown reason.

12. - Top - End - #402

Beholder

I hope it won't be a third party that hasn't been introduced yet.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This DOES explain everything regarding the murder of Greenclaw and how the killer is accomplishing his acts. The one flaw being, there were two glasses in Squeezy Stan's apartment. He was drinking with whoever killed him. That wouldn't be possible if it was Drozeki, because Stan wouldn't be able to see him or know he existed.

Unless, of course, Stan was one of those constructs who could see the Watch...
    Spoiler
    Show
    A second flaw: The Chief said that he doesn't drink anymore. One of the glasses was fairly full, though.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Comic's up!

Spoiler
    Show
    And as some people predicted, chief! But he seems equally perplexed at Charlemagne's death, and has hired Ivo to find the killer. Is he faking Ivo out? Why take the risk that Ivo will figure out that he's the killer, if he did in fact kill Charlemagne? Guess Ivo still has to find the Snail...
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #405

BlueWizardGirl

I get it, now. I'm voting with everyone who thinks it's the chief. Our hero thinks Greenclaw was working with the killer because he should have been able to see him coming but didn't react. The watch was made somewhat ill but will be fully recovered by the time organized crime falls apart.

I'm not 100% sure about killing the guy at the bar. Was he one of the people who could see the chief and was he convinced to go along with it? Or did he NOT know and questioning would have revealed that someone he couldn't see must have done it? Or was he killed because this is what a normal criminal would have done and it helps draw attention away from him?

Of course, since we think we've got it all figured out, maybe it will turn out to be a rebel snail or the zombie tribble from Star Trek: Into Darkness.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2017-09-24 at 11:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    A second flaw: The Chief said that he doesn't drink anymore. One of the glasses was fairly full, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It could be that Chief did earlier dealings though middle men or otherwise anonymously. Or someone else did the earlier dealings and then Chief killed them and then pretended to be them. And this last meeting Chief said we will meet face to face and other guy got out drinks thinking good time to celebrate while Chief being invisible snuck in and killed him.

17. - Top - End - #407

BlackDragon

Yeah, it's looking quite likely it's the Chief who's behind these murders. Looking back, it was quite suspicious he had a Jaeger positioned to intercept Ivo as he left the first murder scene, after all.

18. - Top - End - #408

Beholder

Yeah. Chief seems to be the most likely candidate now.

Though hiring Ivo against himself seems a bit.... odd.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Though hiring Ivo against himself seems a bit.... odd.
    Not in the context. It is a well-plodded trope of Noir novels that the person hiring the Private Eye is doing so to allay suspicions of his own involvement (usually because they think the PE so incompetent they will fall for the false clues they have been laying to pin the crime on someone else).

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Not in the context. It is a well-plodded trope of Noir novels that the person hiring the Private Eye is doing so to allay suspicions of his own involvement (usually because they think the PE so incompetent they will fall for the false clues they have been laying to pin the crime on someone else).

GW
    And considering his other options would be to try and dissuade him from investigating for various reasons which would be even more suspicious, this is his best option. More time to arrange his death while he isnt suspicious of him.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #411

BlackDragon

I don't think he's arranging to kill Ivo at all. Not only has he already had golden opportunities to do that, it seems to me that the Chief's entire reason for doing this is to destroy the Golden Circle, not because he got up one morning and decided for the lulz to become an invisible serial killer. Killing the bad guys who run all the crime in the city? Sure, why not. Kill an innocent bystander whose only crime (as far as we know) is being hired to investigate the crime? Definitely not something he would do.

22. - Top - End - #412

That may be the first time EVER that someone has described a Jaeger as "innocent".

They generally don't stand by, either.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

(ponder, ponder)

On the OTHER hand...

These are the Foglios, and this is a sort of noir detective story. Do we dare rule out the possibility of a (insert TV trope that means double double cross) and that somebody - perhaps an original Watch member - is framing the Chief for all this? That would work, too, and if Ivo could figure out the trick and collar the REAL culprit, that would show how good he is...

(I read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd at an early age. I don't trust detective story writers any more.)

24. - Top - End - #414

BlackDragon

First: Experiment number 2? What are they doing, mixing chemicals at random to see what they get?

Second: It could be the chief as the killer, and Greenclaw didn't react because Greenclaw didn't see the chief.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a second Invisible Man!

26. - Top - End - #416
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    First: Experiment number 2? What are they doing, mixing chemicals at random to see what they get?
    The Foglios engaged in some biological experimentation involving mixing their genomes and observing the results. The first 9-ish months of each experiment involved discomfort for Kaja, but since the experiments have been reasonably self sustaining (only requiring periodic feeding and occasional changing of bedding). The nature of the experiment has put the kibosh on Phil's more racy and risque works until the experimental period comes to an end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

While I think the Chief killed Green Claw, I really don't think he stole the trophy or commited the first murder. At least not yet.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

28. - Top - End - #418

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The Foglios engaged in some biological experimentation involving mixing their genomes and observing the results. ...
    Yep, that sounds like "mixing chemicals at random to see what they get?".

"Do we take this C or that T here?"
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently, the Heterodynes are so terrible, that they invented four more sins.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

30. - Top - End - #420

BlueWizardGirl

I bow before the genius of the second panel. They managed references to Lovecraft, the movie Labyrinth, and Ladyhawke, along with a humorous dig at shopping mall architecture. Oh, and they did all this while managing to make sense and be funny.

I wonder what the four other sins are? Things that even freak out a Jager, it seems.