New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXII: Paris Needs Pants

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Oh yes, he's very good at being scary. Learned at The Baron's feet, and all that. All it really tells us about his combat ability, though, is that he can beat up Vole. And as we later see, Vole was holding back. When he eventually beat him for real it was with help from a number of other combatants, including Tarvek.
    It rather seems to me like Vole got the drop on an overconfident Gil there. In like five pages they're face to face again (thanks to Violetta providing a convenient distraction to let him get close) and Gil singlehandedly dismantles Vole entirely in a straight up comedic manner while gloating about keeping him as a pet.

Basically, Girl Genius power levels are entirely squishy and only subject to the whims of the author and who is being overconfident today.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Oh yes, he's very good at being scary. Learned at The Baron's feet, and all that. All it really tells us about his combat ability, though, is that he can beat up Vole. And as we later see, Vole was holding back. When he eventually beat him for real it was with help from a number of other combatants, including Tarvek.
    Vole SAID he was holding back. And it sounds like he is just trying to cover for getting beaten. Also Gil didn't get that much help. It was basically a single bullet wound and that's not going to slow Vol down much. Gil is nearly the poster boy for "Beware The Nice Ones" and I can't understand why people forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    When Zola was hyped on MOVIT and had beaten Higgs, Zeetha, and Agatha, when it was pretty clear she was going to kill Agatha Tarvek lost it, beat her to a pulp, and was about to kill her instead when Gil intervened. Given that Zola had shrugged off falls, hits, and the worst that Higgs could dish out, that bespeaks considerable force.

(Both Gil and Tarvek seem to have been augmented in similar ways and are capable of superhuman acts; but apparently, only to save Agatha. The rest of the time they're just very formidable.)
    How much Gil or Tarvek have been agumented isn't a point here. We are talking about skill. And remember Zolo clobbered Tarvek twice with ease before that. When Tarvek was able to attack Zola she had taken a HUGE amount of damage as well as a Movit overload and was running on fumes by that point.

If you want to see Gil in action against Sparkhound we have that Here. Gil killed a Sparkhound in each panel.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #813
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Vole SAID he was holding back. And it sounds like he is just trying to cover for getting beaten.
    Not quite sure where you're getting that impression from. Vole said it while beating Gil to a pulp, and Gil's expression in the penultimate panel really says all we need to know about how he thinks the fight's going.

Also Gil didn't get that much help. It was basically a single bullet wound and that's not going to slow Vol down much.
    A single bullet without which he would have been throttled to death with one hand. Also, Violetta stuck at least two (presumably heavily poisoned) knives into him. Then again, I seem to have misremembered Tarvek's contribution (turns out that he just had a crowbar, instead of actually using it, as I'd thought he had).

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Better hurry up Tarvek.
    Between the assassin and the doggies your meatshields aren't going to last much longer.
    And considering they crew your ride they aren't that expendable.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

So far I'm not impressed, Tarvek.
    That looks like a stinkbomb.
    Unless it does more than that you just wasted everyones time.
    And lifes.

6. - Top - End - #816

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New comic

And lifes.
    I assume with such a big loving family and Tweedle being a front runner, there has been lots of secret research into how to disable Tweedles pets.

It could be as simple as a stink bomb if pets have flaw that too much completely disables them like a sonic cannon can disable humans.

It could be something that targets their nature to switch between human and hound forms and uses their "werewolf" like powers against them to morph them into random mess.
    Last edited by multilis; 2017-12-20 at 01:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Orc in the Playground

New comic

And lifes.
    It could be a stink bomb that has the same effect as CS White. Which, when you consider the size of a hound's mucus membranes, is likely to be *EXCRUCIATINGLY PAINFUL*.

Since this is Tarvek and he's not really noted for being a nice, humane individual, it's also got potential to do something sparky and awful, like liquefy the hound's internal organs or melt a hole through its face (and its body... and the floor).

8. - Top - End - #818
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    It could be a stink bomb that has the same effect as CS White. Which, when you consider the size of a hound's mucus membranes, is likely to be *EXCRUCIATINGLY PAINFUL*.

Since this is Tarvek and he's not really noted for being a nice, humane individual, it's also got potential to do something sparky and awful, like liquefy the hound's internal organs or melt a hole through its face (and its body... and the floor).
    I'm gonna go really out on a limb and say that since Tweedle planned on controlling Agatha via pheromones that's how he controls the majority of his minions including the wolf pack, and Tarverk's pills will switch their loyalty to him.
    quo nemo sequi potest

9. - Top - End - #819

Fun to see how in the first two panels, Tarvek has normal speech bubbles, and then the next two he goes Madboy.

10. - Top - End - #820

BlackDragon

At the rate of 1 ball per dog, he has enough.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Orc in the Playground

Hopefully we're about to see Tarvek demonstrate why he's a viable contender for the Storm King crown and title. Thus far in a straight up fight, in political maneuvering, and in the ruthlessness required to gain, consolidate, and retain power, I'm not seeing him as even on the chart compared to Martellus.

Tarvek's taking down a 'Night Master' who even the Smoke Knights are terrified of would go a long way towards correcting that.
    Last edited by Wayson; 2017-12-22 at 12:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now that's more impressive.
    Although I don't want to know how those things smell to have this effect.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    Hopefully we're about to see Tarvek demonstrate why he's a viable contender for the Storm King crown and title. Thus far in a straight up fight, in political maneuvering, and in the ruthlessness required to gain, consolidate, and retain power, I'm not seeing him as even on the chart compared to Martellus.

Tarvek's taking down a 'Night Master' who even the Smoke Knights are terrified of would go a long way towards correcting that.
    Really? Because honestly Martellus up to here has mostly read to me like a guy that got every victory he achieved handed to him on a lucky platter, and who got outmaneuvered and punked every time he tried his hand at any kind of manipulation instead of things just happening for him and/or being given to him (see: Grandmother) or simply outresourcing the other dude. Tarvek on the other hand has dealt with about as much bull**** as Gil has. Basically, it reads to me like Martellus routinely manages to almost make a defeat out of a gimme, while Tarvek, like Gil and Agatha, generally is given a simply unplayable hand and still manages to survive with it.

Martellus IS better in a fight, though, and far more ruthless, that much seems clear. But Tarvek seems to be the kind of person that believes that if you're fighting, something has already gone wrong and you're already in salvage mode.

Overall, I think neither of them are close to Gil in terms of "emperor material", so to speak, but Tarvek has seemed far more competent than Martellus to me, up to here. Martellus has huge resources, entire bases, a bunch of sparkhounds, assassins, and the like, because his power base wasn't cannibalized by Lucrezia herself; the support of his Grandmother; and so on, and he still manages to almost make a wash of everything. Tarvek has... Seffie in his corner and that seems to be about it?
    Last edited by Drascin; 2017-12-22 at 02:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Tarvek has... Seffie in his corner and that seems to be about it?
    I don't think he even really has that. Seffie is only doing what she's doing because she wants the triangle between Agatha, Gil and Tarvek to swing Tarvek's way in order to leave Gil free for her to make a move on. If she could do that some other way she'd drop Tarvek like a hot brick.

15. - Top - End - #825

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Martellus up to here has mostly read to me like a guy that got every victory he achieved handed to him on a lucky platter.
    There was that one time he single-handedly wrested control of an entire fortress full of smoke knights from other family members after missing 2.5 years of current events. Admittedly he got some sparkhounds about halfway through the process, but they were sparkhounds he himself had made, so I'd say it still counts.

16. - Top - End - #826

There was that one time he single-handedly wrested control of an entire fortress full of smoke knights from other family members after missing 2.5 years of current events. Admittedly he got some sparkhounds about halfway through the process, but they were sparkhounds he himself had made, so I'd say it still counts.
    That was more due to his admittedly really high ability to slaughter anything in his way. In all honesty, I use the thor/loki metric for them. Tarvek is heavy duty loki. He is the statesman, the master manipulator, the planner, the strategist. He can throw down if its needed but he tends to act like that would be barbaric of him. Meanwhile tweedle is thor. He is charismatic, loud, strong, and bull rushes his way through life. He is far from stupid and is capable of planning, but it isnt his strong suit by any means. Either would make a good king with the other for support. Tweedle would be the guy who uses his charisma to gather allies and crush the enemy. Tarvek is the guy forming backroom deals and alliances where he balances the power of politics to keep things from falling apart. In an ideal scenario, if tweedle was accepted as king, tarvek would be his spymaster, his chief diplomat (but im repeating myself) and the guy filling tweedle in on everything he needs to know. If TARVEK were king, tweedle would be his general, the guy in charge of his troops and crushing his enemies when needed. Either way it would work. You know, if they could be trusted to not try and usurp the throne.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Old Tarvek you could not trust. Curret Tarvek you could trust so long as he thought you were doing a good job (at least as well as he thinks he would). Tarvek would NEVER trust Tweedle and for good reason. And Tweedle would never really trust anyone who he didn't think was slavishly loyal to him. Probably doesn't really trust the people that ARE slavishly loyal to him either. Of course the fact is that Tweedle is a power hungry tyrant who shouldn't be trusted to run an empty dog kennel.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    That was more due to his admittedly really high ability to slaughter anything in his way. In all honesty, I use the thor/loki metric for them. Tarvek is heavy duty loki. He is the statesman, the master manipulator, the planner, the strategist. He can throw down if its needed but he tends to act like that would be barbaric of him. Meanwhile tweedle is thor. He is charismatic, loud, strong, and bull rushes his way through life. He is far from stupid and is capable of planning, but it isnt his strong suit by any means. Either would make a good king with the other for support. Tweedle would be the guy who uses his charisma to gather allies and crush the enemy. Tarvek is the guy forming backroom deals and alliances where he balances the power of politics to keep things from falling apart. In an ideal scenario, if tweedle was accepted as king, tarvek would be his spymaster, his chief diplomat (but im repeating myself) and the guy filling tweedle in on everything he needs to know. If TARVEK were king, tweedle would be his general, the guy in charge of his troops and crushing his enemies when needed. Either way it would work. You know, if they could be trusted to not try and usurp the throne.
    I could see Tarvek keeping his head down if he was forced to support King Tweedle. He might not like having to play second fiddle, but he's smart enough to know that the spymaster shenanigans are more than enough power while also leaving him out of the primary crosshairs. Which is not to say he wouldn't have Plans ready if Tweedle tries something dumb.

Tweedle though, he's got too much pride to settle for anything less than the crown, leaving aside that he's already won it in Paris.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

19. - Top - End - #829

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    I could see Tarvek keeping his head down if he was forced to support King Tweedle. He might not like having to play second fiddle, but he's smart enough to know that the spymaster shenanigans are more than enough power while also leaving him out of the primary crosshairs. Which is not to say he wouldn't have Plans ready if Tweedle tries something dumb.

Tweedle though, he's got too much pride to settle for anything less than the crown, leaving aside that he's already won it in Paris.
    Tarvek would probably be happier in a grand vizier type position. Jaffar, not the sultan. He could BE the king, im sure. Probably do a decent job of it too, but yeah, he is meant to be behind the scenes, not the big target in the front. Agreed with tweedle though. That guy could never accept second fiddle, I was just pointing out that together they would do a much better job of being storm king than alone as they both have issues the other fixes.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

My copy of Second Journey Book 3 finally arrived!

While reading it, I noted one exchange between two smoke knights in van Rijin's lair after Violetta calls them:

Violetta: "All shadows are to come into the light"
    1st: She knows you're here.
    2nd: She knows we're both here.
    1st: I thought she was supposed to be weak.
    2nd: You also thought Tarvek was a fop.
    1st: Oh dear.
    2nd: Oh yeah...

It is a running theme in the story that everybody (with the possible exception of Grandma and (since Castle Hetrodyne) possibly Violetta, Agatha and Gil) underestimates Tarvek.

Tarvek doesn't play the Storm King card very often. If it were just him, I could see Tarvek taking a lesser role under Tweedle - after all he would be out of the direct limelight (and he would be able to work on the Muses in relative peace). The trouble is that Agatha is in play, and he won't see Agatha in anyone's hands but his own. He might, grudgingly, accept her choosing Gil, but not without a fight.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Tarvek doesn't play the Storm King card very often. If it were just him, I could see Tarvek taking a lesser role under Tweedle - after all he would be out of the direct limelight (and he would be able to work on the Muses in relative peace). The trouble is that Agatha is in play, and he won't see Agatha in anyone's hands but his own. He might, grudgingly, accept her choosing Gil, but not without a fight.
    Agatha chose between Tarvek and Gil? not going to happen, she's having both.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Agatha chose between Tarvek and Gil? not going to happen, she's having both.
    Well, it the Castle gets a say in this matter...

Plus, you know, as the Heterodyne Agatha outranks them anyway, so...

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A strip on Christmas Day? I'm not complaining...

Although I don't think much of this "Smoke Master". I mean, Mister Obsidian would have had Tarvek down and dead by now. Jaron just seems to be taking it personally instead of getting on with the job.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Although I don't think much of this "Smoke Master". I mean, Mister Obsidian would have had Tarvek down and dead by now. Jaron just seems to be taking it personally instead of getting on with the job.
    To be fair, Mister Obsidian is kinda invulnerable.
    He could just stride through the fight and beat Tarvek to death.

This guy's problem is that he has to fight someone who is almost as good as him in his primary combat skill.
    Better actually. Tarvek managed to hide how good he is after all.
    And even now Jaron seems to underestimate his target.

While it is not inconceivable that he could kill Tarvek I strongly doubt he would walk away from such a victory.
    Much less with half his Sparkhound contingent.

Also, it seems there's another surprise guest coming.
    I bet if it is yet another faction Jaron won't be smart enough to ally with Tarvek's Pirate-Ninja-Alliance.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also, it seems there's another surprise guest coming.
    I bet if it is yet another faction Jaron won't be smart enough to ally with Tarvek's Pirate-Ninja-Alliance.
    Gil on a skywurm to the rescue!

26. - Top - End - #836

I predict Jenka, since Agatha said she was looking for Tarvek as well.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

This guy's problem is that he has to fight someone who is almost as good as him in his primary combat skill.
    Better actually. Tarvek managed to hide how good he is after all.
    And even now Jaron seems to underestimate his target.
    Jaron is clearly beating Tarvek to a pulp here. He is having to work at it, but he VERY clearly outmatches Tarvek.

28. - Top - End - #838

Jaron is clearly beating Tarvek to a pulp here. He is having to work at it, but he VERY clearly outmatches Tarvek.
    Agreed, tarvek is getting in some darn good hits, better than anyone else on that ship, but unless his weapons have some sort of sparky poison this assassin ISNT resistant/immune to, he is losing big time. But at least jaron is going to REMEMBER this fight. "Oh god, tarvek? Dude shoved like 5 blades into me before I was able to finish him off. If thats the definition of sucking at combat, I dont want to meet someone his detractors think is GOOD."

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Okay, better in some regards.
    Being known for your skills does not an impressive ninja Smoke Knight make.
    Especially if someone who gets this close in skill is seen as completely useless in a fight.

I mean Tarvek learned this stuff while (pretending) he wasn't even paying attention.

30. - Top - End - #840

There are probably few phrases more terrifying in Sparkland than someone saying "Hold on, what's THAT?"