New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXII: Paris Needs Pants

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Naw, go ahead and kill him, Colette; we'll all feel much better.
    It isn't worth jeopardizing Paris' neutrality and autonomy on this bug. Plus it sets a bad Hetrodyne-ish tone for a new ruler making sure continuity is being maintained.

Instead just prepare for the inevitable 'betrayal' and squish him like the bug he is then.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    It isn't worth jeopardizing Paris' neutrality and autonomy on this bug. Plus it sets a bad Hetrodyne-ish tone for a new ruler making sure continuity is being maintained.

Instead just prepare for the inevitable 'betrayal' and squish him like the bug he is then.
    Colette may well believe that there's no way Tweedle can hold the throne without help, and she's better served negotiating with his Grandmother. For example, if the all-seeing Master of Paris saw Grandma helping Zola, and can prove it, that may give her a hold on Grandma, and therefore on both Tweedle and Tarvek.

We have a couple of plus-sized Chekov's guns incoming: Gil/Bang, and Higgs/Vole. It would seem to be a shame to have them show up just to talk about Agatha's next move.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Colette may well believe that there's no way Tweedle can hold the throne without help, and she's better served negotiating with his Grandmother. For example, if the all-seeing Master of Paris saw Grandma helping Zola, and can prove it, that may give her a hold on Grandma, and therefore on both Tweedle and Tarvek.
    This dovetails nicely with Colette's background as a spy. She's suited for the cloak-and-dagger politics you describe here. Smashing her enemies and dancing on their graves just isn't her thing.

Not the season for it anyway.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #64

SamuraiGuy

This dovetails nicely with Colette's background as a spy. She's suited for the cloak-and-dagger politics you describe here. Smashing her enemies and dancing on their graves just isn't her thing.

Not the season for it anyway.
    Frightening thought: combine her father's absolute Sparky power over Paris and knowledge of what happens therein with a spy's devious cunning.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20170719

So Collette is not running Papa's Paris.
    Spoiler
    Show

All of you must leave. Begone! You have proven yourself, but since I must close Paris to The Other and her agents, you must leave because I can't have friends help me.

I'm sorry, Collette is making no sense at all here. It might make sense if she could not trust these people -- better safe than sorry -- but I think that all of them are trustworthy.

I mean, what's wrong with Gil, Travek, a smoke knight, a couple of missing smoke knights, a trouble-magnet friend (yes, she'll help, but she'll attract trouble), that Grandmother, ...

Riiight. Ok, all of you out.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

6. - Top - End - #66

I'm surprised Tarvek hasn't offered to help her with her wasp problem. Maybe Gil will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I'm surprised Tarvek hasn't offered to help her with her wasp problem. Maybe Gil will.
    I predict he's not even there, and that Mr. Obsidian dragged him away again involuntarily. There had to be some reason why Grandma's strong-arm kidnapping expert suddenly popped up again.

And Gil won't be allowed into the city. As Colette just said, the gates are sealed.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    I mean, what's wrong with Gil, Travek, a smoke knight, a couple of missing smoke knights, a trouble-magnet friend (yes, she'll help, but she'll attract trouble), that Grandmother, ...

Riiight. Ok, all of you out.
    Yeah, I think all of them are some combination of untrustworthy (Martellus and family) and/or trouble magnet (Agatha), and they're all so powerful that those traits make them very dangerous to have in the city. Also Agatha has The Other's voice, which brings up the possibility of her commanding the Revenants within Paris. Even if Colette trusts her, she might do it by accident or Lucrezia-in-Agatha might get temporary control, and that's a serious risk.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Slaver wasps have been around for 20-odd years and nobody has yet figured out a way to get rid of the things--not even the Baron could do it. Why would Gil or Tarvek be in any better position to solve that problem than all the other Sparks who have presumably tried and failed?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Slaver wasps have been around for 20-odd years and nobody has yet figured out a way to get rid of the things--not even the Baron could do it. Why would Gil or Tarvek be in any better position to solve that problem than all the other Sparks who have presumably tried and failed?
    Access to information passed through Tarvek's family from their original association with Lucrezia, which was never used to study un-wasping people before because they wanted to build better wasps instead? Such information has already been used by Gil (given to him by Tarvek) to develop a wasp-proofing formula which he used on Bang.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-07-19 at 03:05 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Yeah, I think all of them are some combination of untrustworthy (Martellus and family) and/or trouble magnet (Agatha), and they're all so powerful that those traits make them very dangerous to have in the city. Also Agatha has The Other's voice, which brings up the possibility of her commanding the Revenants within Paris. Even if Colette trusts her, she might do it by accident or Lucrezia-in-Agatha might get temporary control, and that's a serious risk.
    The fact that they're so powerful also makes this a smart move by Colette - she's the new Master of Paris, and there's an immediate crisis affecting it; she needs to be seen to be the one acting on it and/or solving it if the populace are to have any faith in her ability to run the city. If the the Lady Heterodyne or the newly crowned Storm King are seen helping her, even tangentially, there will always be a level of doubt that Colette is just a puppet or figurehead.

12. - Top - End - #72

SamuraiGuy

Well, this was necessary for the plot, so we'll let the competence of Colette's thinking slide. I wonder if this applies to the Deep Kingdoms? Is Paris closed vertically?

The Library is going to be peeved, no doubt.

I wonder what will happen when Gil/Band and Higgs/Vole arrive and are turned away?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Makes sense. It's harsh, but probably necessary for Paris' survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Access to information passed through Tarvek's family from their original association with Lucrezia, which was never used to study un-wasping people before because they wanted to build better wasps instead? Such information has already been used by Gil (given to him by Tarvek) to develop a wasp-proofing formula which he used on Bang.
    Also, he worked with Lu-in-Agatha's-body in Strumhalten. He knows more about her technology than anyone else. That's how he was able to devise the wasp immunity potion, which Gil actually made and used (and is using). If anyone can figure out how to unwasp someone without killing them, it's probably him.

14. - Top - End - #74

Love the faces on the last panel. Completely and utterly gobsmacked.

And is that Oggie trying to eat the one guy's hat?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And is that Oggie trying to eat the one guy's hat?
    That was my reaction too.

Oggie was noticeably eyeing the rather impressive hat in the previous strip, though; I imagine he was trying to steal it to replace his current placeholder hat.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    That was my reaction too.

Oggie was noticeably eyeing the rather impressive hat in the previous strip, though; I imagine he was trying to steal it to replace his current placeholder hat.
    In the latest strip, maybe the guy was giving it to Oggie?

17. - Top - End - #77

SamuraiGuy

Voluntary or not, Oggie has the hat.
    And suddenly, <name forgotten> appears with a "You must go to England!" message, in the best let's-get-on-with-the-plot tradition.

Colette's "We're all friends but I'm exiling you from my city!" message makes a little more sense in the context of "The Other is everywhere!".

18. - Top - End - #78

BlackDragon

I'm sorry Agatha, but your Lantern is in another Continent.

... Just so ... Mario-ish :-)
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    I'm sorry Agatha, but your Lantern is in another Continent.
    Point of order: despite what many in England seem to believe, they are not in a different continent from Paris.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Point of order: despite what many in England seem to believe, they are not in a different continent from Paris.

GW
    Indeed, england is an island in the GGverse. Not even remotely large enough to be a continent.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #81

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Indeed, england is an island in the GGverse. Not even remotely large enough to be a continent.
    To be fair, the English in the Late Victorian regarded BE as the entire world and everything else as mingy little bits clinging to it.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Much of England is underwater according to an old map. There are a number of islands that poke out of the water that may still be considered to be part of England, but I think England is generally considered to be submerged.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Much of England is underwater according to an old map. There are a number of islands that poke out of the water that may still be considered to be part of England, but I think England is generally considered to be submerged.
    I suppose technically we could be dealing with a naboo run by an eternal vampire queen, underwater living gungans and all.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #84

BarbarianGuy

I suppose technically we could be dealing with a naboo run by an eternal vampire queen, underwater living gungans and all.
    Summon Bigger Clank!
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

25. - Top - End - #85

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Summon Bigger Clank!
    In this universe, this is very, very possible.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Summon Bigger Clank!
    This is exactly how some of GG's battles play out.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    This is exactly how somemost of GG's battles play out.
    Corrected for you.
    Last edited by petersohn; 2017-07-22 at 10:17 AM.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I swear, the Foglios are having them leave Paris now just to spite me and my prior comments.

Sneaky Gate:

Spoiler
    Show
    That poor poor Fourth Wall, though. Not as abused as the one in OotSlandia, but still...

Also, dollars to doughnuts that we get to see what the Circus crew is up to.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Damage control parties to the fourth wall.

30. - Top - End - #90

Sneaky Gate:

Spoiler
    Show
    That poor poor Fourth Wall, though. Not as abused as the one in OotSlandia, but still...

Also, dollars to doughnuts that we get to see what the Circus crew is up to.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Foglios announced at one point that after England Agatha and Co. are heading to Africa. if this is still true, I predict that circus member Embi will reveal something about his homeland that will prompt the journey. The most likely cause would be some sort of functioning portal.