New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Abusing the wording of Defenestration Sphere

Defenestration Sphere(SpC) makes a sphere of wind that you can hit a creature with as a move action. When it does and the target is Medium or smaller, they have to make a Fort save against getting knocked prone. If they fail that, they make a second one against being shot up into the air, which causes falling damage and also blows them 1d6 squares away in a random direction... usually.

The unusual case is when there's a window in range: it automatically knocks them towards the window instead.

So... any suggestions how to abuse this? Might not be too practical, but it's hilarious.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Abusing the wording of Defenestration Sphere

A robe of useful items can get you a window, so use it to put one where you want people to go, preferably have something nasty on the other side of said window.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    A robe of useful items can get you a window, so use it to put one where you want people to go, preferably have something nasty on the other side of said window.
    Any suggestions on what to put? Spheres of Annihilation aren't that common.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A bag of devouring?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    A bag of devouring?
    That sounds nice. Isn't it fairly cheap?

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    That sounds nice. Isn't it fairly cheap?
    Unpriced actually, because it's a creature.

Another thing that could be used is have the party fighter hold a window and by that have the target go directly to the fighter and into a grapple.

Another idea is to do that and throw them directly into a Gate spell to the plane of positive energy which basically ***** over any creature that is not undead or construct.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Unpriced actually, because it's a creature.

Another thing that could be used is have the party fighter hold a window and by that have the target go directly to the fighter and into a grapple.

Another idea is to do that and throw them directly into a Gate spell to the plane of positive energy which basically ***** over any creature that is not undead or construct.
    Wouldn't undead still get damaged by the positive energy and get screwed anyways?

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Toss a critter from a bag of tricks to find the exit out of a maze
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Wouldn't undead still get damaged by the positive energy and get screwed anyways?
    Funnily enough, no. A major positive dominant plane doesn't actually do any damage to undead, since the plane simply gives fast healing 5 to all creatures, living or not, which accumulates into temporary hp if you're already at full hp. If you go into temporary hp though, every round you need to make a fort save vs exploding in a mini supernova. However.... undead are immune to any effect that requires a fortitude save, unless it also affects objects... which this doesnt, so undead on the positive energy plane are actually at an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Constructs have the same benefit, assuming they don't have the living construct subtype.
    Last edited by Crake; 2017-07-09 at 12:01 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Funnily enough, no. A major positive dominant plane doesn't actually do any damage to undead, since the plane simply gives fast healing 5 to all creatures, living or not, which accumulates into temporary hp if you're already at full hp. If you go into temporary hp though, every round you need to make a fort save vs exploding in a mini supernova. However.... undead are immune to any effect that requires a fortitude save, unless it also affects objects... which this doesnt, so undead on the positive energy plane are actually at an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Constructs have the same benefit, assuming they don't have the living construct subtype.
    That has to be a mistake or error on WotC's part. That's too stupid to be intentional even for them... oh, who the hells am I kidding? We're talking about WotC.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

It's definitely a mistake, it's from the fact that they're very inconsistent in phrasing/stating the undead/positive energy interaction. It's stated explicitly and separately in most of the places it applies, and the positive dominant trait effect doesn't have the right wording.

I'm pretty sure 90%+ of GMs have the positive energy plane hurt undead though. I certainly do - why would I be bound by WotC's poor wording choices?
    Last edited by icefractal; 2017-07-09 at 01:51 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Slap together a minimal lightweight freestanding frame that counts as a "window" and can be held/dragged by an unseen servant.

Position in front of your favorite wall spell. (Prismatic?). Heck, while you're at it, have some other damaging/disabling barrier effect that is eligible to be horizontal in orientation. If your victim flubs (both) Fort saves against [I]defenestrating sphere[/], he gets thrown up through the horizontal effect, then falls back down through it, AND is slung horizontally at your "window" into the vertical effect. (Of course, if you can reliably make someone fail two Fort saves, then they have other problems...)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Set up at window, perhaps in a portable hole for extra hilarity, and cover the glass with paper inscribed with explosive runes. Instant death hilarious death trap leading into a portable hole.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Voidstone can be both your Sphere of Annihilation substitute and a window.

Stoneshape a window out of Voidstone, have your Unseen Servant carry it along with you where ever you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Devil

You could throw a job application letter in a certain direction. It's a "window of opportunity".

16. - Top - End - #16

This is great battle field control. Just put a window nearby and toss all the foes in that direction. Even with not real set up, it's very useful to have an effect that will toss foes in one direction.

Of course, putting the window in or near a cliff, fire source, water, acid, or anything else can be useful.

A player of mine, with a gnome spellcaster, used to carry around a portable collapsible window to be used with this spell.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Now that I think about it, you use a portable window as mentioned but put aboleth mucus as a trap behind it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Windows just have to be in Range right? So couldn't you have something in front of the window to hit before the target reaches the window?
    Spell Range is 100 + 10 per CL
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-07-16 at 10:39 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning