New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: If you DMed like OotS?

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I mean, my personal view is that the entire Snarl story is at least partially cobblers
    Spoiler: Oh, you wiley Brits.
    Show
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-08-07 at 09:32 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, you wiley Brits.
    What? it's perfectly clear. Cobbler's awls -> balls.

Its like you don't even try to rhyme the word that isn't there.
    kidding!
    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Eh... I'm not sure I'd respond to "I have been granted divine powers directly by a deity for some grand purpose" with "I have as much curiosity about the source of these mysterious powers as the average Barbarian."
    Exactly! You have the curiosity, but you don't have the inherent intelligence to learn the stuff naturally. So it's still a cross-class skill but your character pumps skill points into it because they want to.

Like for instance I REALLY want to learn Spanish. Unfortunately, learning second languages is not an inherent skill I have, and wanting to learn them doesn't change that. So I still try to learn the language, I just have to try twice as hard as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    This discussion came up recently, so I have to point out that the vast majority of the rules in D&D kind of are about making your character as strong as possible. This doesn't make RP impossible, but the core system itself doesn't support it tremendously well, and I would even argue that some of the traditional assumptions about how you assemble a party at random and send the PCs off to all presumably cooperate on the same missions effectively tamps down on the expression of diverse goals and personalities. It's... interesting to ponder the extent to which OOTS does and doesn't follow that template.
    I guess you guys play differently than I do. Fighting, for us, is rarely something you can't avoid. And, if there is a fight you can't avoid, the likelihood of you dying is pretty low unless you do something really stupid or are REALLY unlucky. Our games revolve around interpersonal conflicts, etc., and solving your problems by thinking or roleplaying your way out of them.

That being said, I will agree that most of the rules in d&d revolve around fighting rather than roleplaying, but if you just want to fight, why not just play Baldur's gate?

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Exactly! You have the curiosity, but you don't have the inherent intelligence to learn the stuff naturally. So it's still a cross-class skill but your character pumps skill points into it because they want to.

Like for instance I REALLY want to learn Spanish. Unfortunately, learning second languages is not an inherent skill I have, and wanting to learn them doesn't change that. So I still try to learn the language, I just have to try twice as hard as everyone else.
    I must have missed the part where Favored Souls are inherently unskilled at learning about religion? Like, if I were to take you as an example of the class GITP Forumer, is that lack of language skill a thing about you, or about the class itself?
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2017-08-08 at 01:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

5. - Top - End - #395
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I must have missed the part where Favored Souls are inherently unskilled at learning about religion? Like, if I were to take you as an example of the class GITP Forumer, is that lack of language skill a thing about you, or about the class itself?
    The skill. Religion is cross-class for Favored Souls. So, for instance, while normal 3.5 rules require 1 skill point to learn 1 language, Littlebum would have Speak Language as cross-class, and would require 2 skill points to learn Spanish. Ignoring that that's not exactly how the Speak Language skill works in 3.5.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-08-08 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Speak Language, not Learn Language
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess you guys play differently than I do. Fighting, for us, is rarely something you can't avoid. And, if there is a fight you can't avoid, the likelihood of you dying is pretty low unless you do something really stupid or are REALLY unlucky. Our games revolve around interpersonal conflicts, etc., and solving your problems by thinking or roleplaying your way out of them.

That being said, I will agree that most of the rules in d&d revolve around fighting rather than roleplaying, but if you just want to fight, why not just play Baldur's gate?
    Counter-argument:If you just want to roleplay, why not just do a freeform RP?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The skill. Religion is cross-class for Favored Souls. So, for instance, while normal 3.5 rules require 1 skill point to learn 1 language, Littlebum would have Speak Language as cross-class, and would require 2 skill points to learn Spanish. Ignoring that that's not exactly how the Speak Language skill works in 3.5.
    Well, yes, I'm not arguing that they actually do have Religion as a class skill, as then I would be wrong I'm pointing out that them lacking it doesn't seem to have much fluff justification. That is, there's nothing that suggests they have some inability to learn about religious things, and active incentives to do so, so it seems... weird, that the class design assumes these divinely inspired/gifted casters have as much religious potential as Belkar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

8. - Top - End - #398
    Colossus in the Playground

I think the case that favored souls don't have Knowledge: Religion as a way of reflecting that they don't hold with that there fancy book-larnin fails out of the gate, since they have Knowledge: Arcana. They study, they just...study arcane magic which they don't use instead of divine magic which they do. For some reason.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yes, I'm not arguing that they actually do have Religion as a class skill, as then I would be wrong I'm pointing out that them lacking it doesn't seem to have much fluff justification. That is, there's nothing that suggests they have some inability to learn about religious things, and active incentives to do so, so it seems... weird, that the class design assumes these divinely inspired/gifted casters have as much religious potential as Belkar.
    My theory is that the Favored Soul class entry started as a copy/paste of the Warmage class entry, both of which originally appeared in the wargaming-oriented Miniatures Handbook, and renaming from "Knowledge (arcana)" to "Knowledge (religion)" got overlooked; and as that same book directly states that most skills in the roleplaying rules have no effect when translated to the miniatures rules, this oversight was less likely to be detected in playtests than it otherwise would have been. (I have no evidence to elevate this above "a theory which happens to fit the facts" level.)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think the case that favored souls don't have Knowledge: Religion as a way of reflecting that they don't hold with that there fancy book-larnin fails out of the gate, since they have Knowledge: Arcana. They study, they just...study arcane magic which they don't use instead of divine magic which they do. For some reason.
    Yeha, I prefer the before-mentioned fix that lets you pick whether you have Knowledge:Arcana or Knowledge:Religion as a class skill. That way, you can optimize while still going with the confused outsider who doesn't know how this divine magic stuff works, should you so choose.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

it seems... weird, that the class design assumes these divinely inspired/gifted casters have as much religious potential as Belkar.
    The problem is, there's no halfway house that could be used here. A skill is either a class skill or not a class skill, so it's just as possible to argue that it would be weird that a favoured soul would have the same level of interest in religion as a cleric or paladin.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

it seems... weird, that the class design assumes these divinely inspired/gifted casters have as much religious potential as Belkar.
    It is weird. D&D is a fun game, and for all its faults I love playing it, but there are weird quirks like this. There is very little individuality in classes. If you want to play a fighter who also happens to be a world-class guitar player and has played from birth, Perform is still a cross-class skill.

Most DM's will acknowledge this and let you make a skill a Class skill if you take Skill Focus for it.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Mainly because the GM can make for a pretty mean enemy AI, and I personally really like glossy miniatures. It's cool and all if your play style is RP-centric, but that probably owes more to the group you play with than the rules themselves.

It is weird. D&D is a fun game, and for all its faults I love playing it, but there are weird quirks like this. There is very little individuality in classes. If you want to play a fighter who also happens to be a world-class guitar player and has played from birth, Perform is still a cross-class skill.
    There's a reasonable theoretical argument that the virtue of class systems is easier balancing across different party roles, so restricting options is kinda the point that way. (That said, one of my pet projects would be to turn all the skills and class features for 3.5+ D&D into nothing but feat chains. e.g, divine casting I -> divine casting II -> divine casting III, etc- most of the spells could be boiled down to a few basic categories as well. Actually, there's probably a couple of RPGs that do this already.)
    Give directly to the extreme poor.