New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Can high Int mundanes LEARN like a Wizard/Archivist does?

Hear me out on this one.

To quote the SRD: "To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the wizard must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a wizard’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the wizard’s Intelligence modifier...

... At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to her own."

Could it be plausible that a high-Int character(for example, let's say a level 8 rogue with 16+ Int gets his hands on an Explosive Runes scroll) to learn to prepare and cast the spell, since he meets the criteria of having enough Int to cast up to level 3 spells? I vaguely recall the story of a rogue who spent his three-month downtime making 2 explosive papertags a day and then rigging them to explode a purple wurm from the inside in a chain recation as he got to safety using an amulet of the planes.

Or is there a feat that allows that kind of thing without being forced to take the necessary wizard levels?
    Last edited by Mikemical; 2017-07-11 at 11:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Can high Int mundanes LEARN like a Wizard/Archivist does?

Spellcasting is a class feature of the wizard. Just because it has an additional restriction doesn't mean that anyone who meets that criterion can do it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

There might be feats that grant spell like abilities but none that give spell slots AFAIK.
    That said, I'm pretty sure wizards are mundane, it's just that they can perform supernatural actions. They aren't necessarily supernatural entities.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sure they can! They can go to school and become a 1st level Wizard.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Since this is in the system agnostic area, a 5e D&D rogue could pick up the ritual caster feat if he really wanted some magic. A call of cthulhu investigator can learn magic so long as they're not too attached to their sanity.

3.5/pf, though? Spell slots are class features. I guess if you really had your heart set on it I'd let you fill out a spellbook. You wouldn't be able to do anything with it without the right slots, though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Generally, no. There are some feats that provide spell-like abilities, and I wouldn't have a problem with a feat that allowed the use of cantrips or, as the feat chain progressed, even more spells, but I don't think there are any.

Because everything wizards have is special, while everything fighters get must be available to anyone willing to sink a lot of feats into it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    To quote the SRD: "To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the wizard must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a wizard’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the wizard’s Intelligence modifier...

... At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to her own."
    To quote your own quote, you still need to be a Wizard to do this.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

No, because even if that were a valid RAW reading (it's not), it'd still be so obviously and blatantly ridiculous that no one would care.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Not by the existing rules. I think it'd be fine as homebrew though:

Arcane Hobbyist
    You're not a full-fledged Wizard, but you have learned a bit of magic.
    Prerequisite: Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Int 11+
    Benefit: You have an arcane CL equal to your character level - 2, and a single spell slot equal to CL/2 rounded up (one below what a Wizard of your level would get), plus bonus slots from a high Intelligence (for that single spell level) as normal. Like a Wizard, you need a high enough Int to cast a spell.
    You don't have a spellbook, but you can prepare your spell slots from scrolls (this does not exhaust the scrolls). Casting is slower for you than a full-fledged Wizard: spells that take less than 1 round to cast take 1 round, other spells take twice as long as normal.

Probably needs some wording fixes, but that seems about right.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Not by the existing rules. I think it'd be fine as homebrew though:

Arcane Hobbyist
    You're not a full-fledged Wizard, but you have learned a bit of magic.
    Prerequisite: Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Int 11+
    Benefit: You have an arcane CL equal to your character level - 2, and a single spell slot equal to CL/2 rounded up (one below what a Wizard of your level would get), plus bonus slots from a high Intelligence (for that single spell level) as normal. Like a Wizard, you need a high enough Int to cast a spell.
    You don't have a spellbook, but you can prepare your spell slots from scrolls (this does not exhaust the scrolls). Casting is slower for you than a full-fledged Wizard: spells that take less than 1 round to cast take 1 round, other spells take twice as long as normal.

Probably needs some wording fixes, but that seems about right.
    Looks good, though I'd either change the CL, or change the wording for the spell slot so that this feat will never give a 9th level spell slot (I'd cap it at 4 or 5). Maybe the Magic initiate feat from 5e can be ported over? It gives a single level 1 spell known with 1 casting per day, and 2 level 0 spells (in this case I'd given 2-4 level 0 spell slots. In 5e level 0 spells are unlimited use).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The closest thing I can think of is the magical training feat, which allows you to cast 3 0th level spells, CL 1 assuming no spellcasting classes. With the right optimization this can be turned into some other things, but this is probably the best you'll find without a lot of finagling.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

A Rogue could surely learn to Use a Magic scroll or other Device, and thereby cast the spell.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Agreeing with the others that nothing by RAW, but it seems like something reasonable to allow. Int is pretty useless beyond skill points and Int-based spellcasters.
    I could actually see a feat like this even being useful for other spellcasters with good Int, letting them pick up a wizard spell or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    A Rogue could surely learn to Use a Magic scroll or other Device, and thereby cast the spell.
    On that note, I could also see allowing a rogue (or other PC) to use Int as their Use Magic Device ability score instead of Cha, with the intent of it being an intellectual understanding akin to what a wizard has instead of whatever the fluff of Use Magic Device is. At least allowing it for scrolls, wands, and similar things.

Maybe add on a feat that the person can have a 'spellbook' of a handful of scrolls (perhaps up to character level/2 levels worth of spells, with cantrips counting as .5 spell levels) which they can cast without exhausting the scroll, with X spell slots per day. I could see making the scrolls fixed when you pick the feat (basically you take scrolls you have and compile them together to make a spellbook), but you can trade out some 'scrolls used' like a sorcerer can trade spells known, during level up.

Eh... that sounds complicated. Letting them use Int for Use Magic Device is probably the easiest way, or one of the feats mentioned in an earlier post.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, the way that wizardly casting works, by leaning instead of skill or inborn talent, it would make sense that people can learn to cast spells.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Actually, the way that wizardly casting works, by leaning instead of skill or inborn talent, it would make sense that people can learn to cast spells.
    You are right, about this, and there's a mechanic for it. It's called multiclassing into Wizard. A rogues spends most of his time learning new roguelike tricks, which is the reason he gets more levels in rogue. A fighter learns more fighting, resulting in leveling up as a fighter. Someone who spends a lot of time learning to cast spells, is going to level up as a wizard.

For balance reasons, it's not possible to get class features from another class without spending something, be they experience for multiclassing or feats. Otherwise all the optimizers would just play high-int fighters that learn enough spells to be equivalent to a same-level wizard (okay, they probably would play warblade's, because that synergizes nice with having a high int, but you get my point).
    Last edited by DeTess; 2017-07-12 at 09:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, and it's by-

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    You are right, about this, and there's a mechanic for it. It's called multiclassing into Wizard.
    Yeah, that.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground

Sure, just like anyone can technically learn to be an astrophysicist or a neurosurgeon. But few people do in practice because our brains are just wired differently, even for otherwise intelligent people.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

See it as a learning progression, a skill tree if you will. A high level spell is not some isolated trick. To properly use the polymorph spell you must have covered the basic theory of magic in general, including the lessons on energy guidance and energy transitions, as well as the basic theory of transmutation wizardry, the three principles of change and the first and second law of equal matter displacement, which transmutation magic subverts through several different yet related means. Then you need experience. This isn't point and shoot, that's what wands are for. The timing of your heart rhythm to resonate with the building energy simply requires lots of practice. Trying to learn this using a 4th level spell is suicide. You wouldn't go anywhere but down the drain as a puddle.

I don't know what you (plan) to do for a living, but I will bet you a crate of beer I can't just take one day of training and do your job as well as you do it, and you can't just switch to mine. Being a wizard is like being trained in underwater welding, crime scene investigation or organizing birthday parties for people with dementia. You need some out of the ordinary skills before the real learning even starts. Not all of those things are particularly difficult, but they are specialized.

But that's just lore wise justification, and we both know it. The real reason is that spells are what a wizard is. It's their one class feature worth a damn, so no, you do not get more spells than a wizard does simply by having a high intelligence and reading a book. Because that would be a broken ability. I'm all for all sorts of experiments. A world where everybody can learn a cantrip at level 3? Count me in. Homebrewing eldritch knight-like archetypes so other classes can get in on the casting action? Why not. A feat that gives you a single spell of a certain level or a factotum-like way of casting? I'd want to see it for balance reasons, but no reason to shoot it down out of nowhere. But money for nothing and chicks for free, nah, don't think so.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-07-12 at 11:10 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

The magic system used in Slayers d20(A 3rd party d20 Book based around the Anime adaption of the Slayers light novel series) can let anyone with sufficiently high enough Intelligence use a small number of low-end spells, regardless of class, since the setting itself is extremely high-magic. Though it means using a very different Magic system based on at-will spells where you have to beat a DC check and they deal non-lethal damage to the user rather than Spell slots/spells per day and spell levels

Perhaps figuring out a way to make that translate the Vancian Casting system would do if that's not your type of thing, which might take a little work.
    Last edited by Dunsparce; 2017-07-12 at 11:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

They can in Spheres of Power thanks to the Magical Training feats

21. - Top - End - #21

MonkGuy

Related question, could a completely mundane scribe copy out the spells in a spell book? Completely unaware of what it is they are copying?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Can high Int mundanes LEARN like a Wizard/Archivist does?

A mundane can take the Magical Training feat, as mentioned.

They can also use Incantations: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ma...cantations.htm

...they will need to hit fairly high Knowledge (arcana) and other checks, though.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The crucial point is that the way you're reading rules will lead to many false conclusions. If it says a wizard of INT X can do something, that gives two requirements - wizard, and INT X.

You cannot leave out part of the rule. It says "wizard".

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    The closest thing I can think of is the magical training feat, which allows you to cast 3 0th level spells, CL 1 assuming no spellcasting classes. With the right optimization this can be turned into some other things, but this is probably the best you'll find without a lot of finagling.
    It specifically says it gives you a Spellbook and that you cast like a Wizard does.

Wizards can copy spells of a higher level, assuming they succeed on the necessary checks. They just have to wait for the spell slots. I don't see why the feat wouldn't allow that ability too.

Seeing as Craft(alchemy) requires some kind of magic, I think you can't truely be "mundane" and copying spells.

I've been wanting to play a character who goes into the Chameleon PrC with this feat (as well as Apprentice(spellcaster) and Practiced Spellcaster), since you need a Spellbook if you want to pretend to be a Wizard. Bit of a gold sink until you can actually cast.
    Last edited by DrKerosene; 2017-07-13 at 07:21 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by prototype00 View Post
    Related question, could a completely mundane scribe copy out the spells in a spell book? Completely unaware of what it is they are copying?
    No. What makes you think they could?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrKerosene View Post
    It specifically says it gives you a Spellbook and that you cast like a Wizard does.

Wizards can copy spells of a higher level, assuming they succeed on the necessary checks. They just have to wait for the spell slots. I don't see why the feat wouldn't allow that ability too.

Seeing as Craft(alchemy) requires some kind of magic, I think you can't truely be "mundane" and copying spells.

I've been wanting to play a character who goes into the Chameleon PrC with this feat (as well as Apprentice(spellcaster) and Practiced Spellcaster), since you need a Spellbook if you want to pretend to be a Wizard. Bit of a gold sink until you can actually cast.
    Oh once you had the spellslots you probably could copy down more spells and then use them, it's just that getting more slots isn't exactly easy. Increasing Int only gets you so far. Dragon Disciple can only add to levels you already are capable of casting, and the same goes for Eunuch Warlock.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Sure, just like anyone can technically learn to be an astrophysicist or a neurosurgeon. But few people do in practice because our brains are just wired differently, even for otherwise intelligent people.
    Nah, just pointing out a dysfunction between fluff and rules.

Magic in D&D, especially arcane magic, has no mystery nor style to it and is rather treated like a very stable natural science (*). Following the fluff and creating rules based on it, we should actually remove or heavily modify most of the classes, especially sorcerer and wizard, by, for example, using a feat chain "Magical Capacity" to grant access to the blocks of 1-4, 5-6 and 7-9 level casting.
    That would be more in-line with how arcane magic should actually be a learnable science.

(*) Contrast to L5R blood magic, Warhammer magic/psi, PF occult rituals.
    Last edited by Florian; 2017-07-14 at 12:02 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Magic in D&D, especially arcane magic, has no mystery nor style to it and is rather treated like a very stable natural science (*). Following the fluff and creating rules based on it, we should actually remove or heavily modify most of the classes, especially sorcerer and wizard, by, for example, using a feat chain "Magical Capacity" to grant access to the blocks of 1-4, 5-6 and 7-9 level casting.
    That would be more in-line with how arcane magic should actually be a learnable science.

Because it would make sense if in a modern day game your hacker character could learn to do open heart surgery without knowing the basics of medicine? Hey, he has the intelligence score...

Something being learnable does not mean there's not a right order to learn things in, or that learning things can't be difficult or take a lot of time. That investment, the specialization of a doctor that will eventually become an open heart surgeon, that's what D&D models as classes.

Are there paths in life that will let you learn medical procedures without studying medicine and working in a hospital? Probably, if you don't practicing without a license. It can be a secondary skillset, which is moddeled with not just multiclassing but archetypes and such as well. Maybe you learned some medical skills by doing, alone in the wilderniss, fighting for your life. But just picking up open heart surgery and only open heart surgery, because you needed a challenge, is that really a common thing?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-07-14 at 12:18 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

That´s hyperbole. There´s a huge span between being able to use a first aid kit and being an able heart surgeon. Same span between casting a simple light spell and a full blown heal.
    That argument is akin to disallowing non-divine casters to get the heal skill or chose skill focus: heal because healing is tied to cleric training.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Why? Every other class that gains abilities by learning them is a class and not a feat series.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!