New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Miry's Mummy's Mask IC

From the tidy Midwife district to the mazelike streets of Asp, Wati's citizens appreciate life in ways that only come from respecting the dead. Taverns, dance halls, bathhouses, and game parlors dot as many corners as shops and artisans, and Wati's boulevards and markets teem with life under the hot Osirian sun.

Spoiler: Wati Map
    Show

These days, Wati is the center of attention in southern Golarion. The fabled necropolis of Wati will finaly open it's gates to adventurers in a few days, and many foreigner came to the half-dead city, seeing an opportunity for fortune and fame.

The lottery ceremony is still in two days, and in this hot toilday afternoon, you found a modest inn to relaxe in the shade and drink something refreshing in the Midwife district: The Tooth & Hookah

Pillows shaped like crescent moons surrounded half a dozen low, round tables. Water pipes of dinged and dented brass with painted enamel bases sat in the center of each table. Clay bowls filled with the stubs of unlit candles hung from the ceiling. Filtered light from the curtained doorway left the room dim. As it's still early, the inn is mostly empty, except for the bartender behind the bar in a corner of the room, and a handful of people scattered around the large room.
    Last edited by Miry; 2017-07-11 at 03:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Miry's Mummy's Mask IC

Snips enters The Tooth & Hookah and...doesn't actually stand out terribly much. She wears typical Osirion garb, and carries the amount of weapons one might expect from all the adventurers hanging around nowadays. What does stand out is the several-hundred pound black scorpion that skitters along behind her, and with armor, no less!

She slinks up to the bar, then bangs her fist on it twice. "I need raw meat!" She beams at the barkeep. Jakku concurs with a few clacks of its claws.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-07-11 at 04:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

The bartender first raise a eyebrow, looking at the little girl with this humongous scorpion, but then gave a deep chuckle. He was a big and tall man, his strong features were more intimidating than handsome.

"Sure why not. Just make sure your friend don't make trouble around here. I'll bring you your meat in a moment. You want something to drink with that?"
    Last edited by Miry; 2017-07-11 at 04:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"A glass of palm wine, please. Something local will do." The voice wafting through the quiet inn belongs to the elf with the platinum blond hair sitting at the end of the bar. Nyrius looks around in detached interest. He's been waiting here for over ten minutes and has yet to be served - he suspects it might have something to do with his obviously arcane robes and distinct appearance. The locals here seem to have a great deal of camaraderie, something he unfortunately does not share with them. It's chance that has brought Nyrius to the Tooth and Hookah this afternoon. After arriving in Wati with little other than rumors and the news about the necropolis, the wizard has been hard pressed to find a group. Especially when you keep your nose stuck in that journal all day.

The self-beratement is certainly rooted in truth. He hasn't been here long enough to warrant pulling out his journal and jotting down a few of his thoughts about the interior layout of the tavern, but he can't seem to stop categorizing the abodes through which he travels as 'adobe brick with double hung sash windows'. He's got a few point form notes on the Tooth and Hookah already, written in an Elven shorthand in order to maximize efficiency and prevent most curious people from gleaning his observations. But the book is away now as the mage waits for his wine. As he does, he can't help but turn to look at the bar's newcomer, as well as her gigantic scorpion companion.

"Brought a friend from the desert, I see? A gigantus quinquestriatus, by the looks of him. Magnificent, I must say." Nyrius extends a hand to the woman, deigning not to touch the huge scorpion. "The name is Nyrius Shael-Khefer, pleased to make your acquaintance."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-11 at 05:55 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

"I should have some finner wine around here, just a second."

The bartender go in the kitchen, and come back after a minute with a bottle and a wine glass.

"There you go sir, sorry for the delay." he say, pouring the wine.

6. - Top - End - #6

"Just the meal." Snips assures the bartender of Jakku's good intentions by stroking its back, then whirls around to face the sudden elf. She doesn't think much of his strange words, but the jist of it is pleasant enough. So, she shakes his hand with a very firm grip. "I'm Snips. This is Jakku." She smiles, and Jakku snips in Nyrius' general direction. "We don't see people like you unless they're almost dead! It's good that you're not in the desert."
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-07-11 at 06:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Ron decides to enter the bar to play some music and hopefully make some money. His faithful thrush companion sits on his elbow as he walks to a corner. He takes out his guitar and begins playing for the customers. Hopefully, he would make enough money for the two to eat.

OOC: (1d20+8)[20]

Music
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Xerxes was resting on one of the cushions in the room. The Paladin was dressed in loose fitting dusty colored robes that covered his arsenal, and his pack was resting beside the wall. His white scarf was pulled back from his face. His face would have been considered to be handsome according to conventional standards of male beauty by those who pay attention to such matters. His face was clean shaven, with his medium length hair parted in the center, which sat above his Keleshite olive colored skin. It had been a long journey from Qadira's capital of Katheer to Wati. He been on pleasure barges in the city's harbor, but it had been the first time he had journeyed on an ocean going vessel. Thankfully, Saranrae's Grace had fortified his health in the face of the Inner Sea's turbulence. Now he found himself alone, in a country that not too long ago had been conquered by his homeland. There had been no major incidents, been it had been surprising to note how many Osirions seemed to lose the ability to speak Taldoran Common in his presence.

Now, he focused himself on the challenge ahead of him. The Grand Mausoleum only offered slots in their lottery to groups, not individuals. Not to mention that according to the local stories, the Necropolis was teeming with monsters. Or perhaps those locals only wished to deter Foreigners from entering their Ancestor's tombs. It was hard to parse their motivations sometimes. He had been searching for three days to find a group that he could ally himself with, and so far his efforts failed to avail him. They either didn't want to take him on, or he found them to be untrustworthy. After all, accidents might happen, and it would be such a shame if not everyone made it back and the treasure needed to be split among fewer people.

Despite the two day deadline, Xerxes wasn't worried. Saranrae would provide, he was confident about that. He just needed to be open to Her Will.

Just as he was reflecting on this, he saw the giant scorpion walk through the door. He slid his hand under his robes to rest on the handle of his enchanted scimitar, the one possession he had kept from his previous sinful life. He relaxed his grip on his scimitar as he saw the elf talk to the strange young woman. He had not seen any Elves since he had left Katheer, which was considered to be one of the premier centers of learning in the Inner Sea region.

Xerxes stood up and made his way over to the bar just as the bard was starting to play music. His wooden symbol of Saranrae was laid over top of his robes. His Faith was one of the few things he was not ashamed of, and he would bear her image with the reverence and respect it deserved. His long white scarf hung loose around his neck. Those who paid attention to such matters would know that it signified that he was a Knight of Saranrae. He stood on the side of the elf that was opposite the strange woman, and called out at the Barkeeper. I just want some Water. He turned to address the young woman and said. I trust that the beast is ensorcelled in such a manner that it will not cause us trouble?
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2017-07-11 at 09:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Snips regards Xerxes with a long look. "As much as you are." Jakku doesn't seem to have an opinion on its state of ensorcellment.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

At first Nyrius only raises an eyebrow at Snips' comment, as he looks down at the fairly loose, appropriate desert robes that he's been wearing since somewhere back in Katapesh. But he shrugs inwardly. Sometimes it's good to remember that he's still a relative outsider looking in, and if his attire isn't cut out for the heat of the Osirian sands, then perhaps he ought to visit a local tailor. "You would, perhaps, know better than I where to purchase better clothing and equipment for an overland journey. I am still fairly unaccustomed to actually living in the Land of Pharaohs after all this time. And yet I find that I have spent the vast majority of my coin on other matters." The elf stresses the word 'other' in a decidedly resigned tone of voice, a tone that he drowns with a little swig of the sweet palm wine.

That's when the tanned, handsome man comes walking in and orders water. Nyrius watches silently at first, but as he observes the rather unpleasant exchange between him and Snips over Jakku's presence, he feels the need to intervene. "Now, there's hardly any need for that, is there? The barkeep allowed the creature inside, is that not enough? Besides, it is patently obvious that the scorpion's fate is bound to hers. You'll forgive me - I am not always the best judge of character - but I don't believe that either would harm anyone, unless provocation was first laid at their feet. Am I correct in assuming so, Miss Snips?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-11 at 09:44 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The sound of a guitar being played on the ground floor of inn was just enough of a disturbance to break Zhanyae Chakk's concentration. With a frustrated sigh she ceased her meditation, and allowed her thoughts to dwell upon less spiritual matters. Looking to her room's only window, the tengu could see that it was still several hours until sunset. Soon she would venture out onto the streets again, and search for allies to aid her in her mission. It was surprisingly difficult to find trustworthy companions in Wati right now. Despite the city currently being overrun with adventurers, explorers, and archeologists, most of them had recruited compatriots before entering the city, rather than after.

Deciding that she might as well make an early start of it, Zhanyae climbed up off of her bed and gathered her belongings. Stopping for a moment to stretch her poor back, the tengu looked around to make sure she had not left anything behind. In the past she had slept and eaten at the Grand Mausoleum, living there with only the other clerics of Pharasma for company. But now she lodged here, searching for others willing to enter the soon to be open tombs of the Necropolis.

Her quarters here had been... adequate. There really weren't any other words to describe the narrow bed and small room that she was currently paying for at the The Tooth & Hookah. But that was just fine with her. Anything more than the basic amenities would have been a distraction.

Walking out of her room and down the stairs, Zhanyae decided that she would have a glass of water before she began this afternoon's search.
    Last edited by Bale Fire; 2017-07-11 at 10:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Xerxes was the surprise that at the response he received. He closed his eyes for a moment, blocking out the distractions of the external world so he could listen to the will of the Goddess. When She had revealed that there was no evil in the hearts of the people before him, he realized that he had misread the situation. He raised his hand in an appeasing gesture at the young woman, which the Elf had referred to as 'Snips'. My apologies. He spoke with a slight baritone I only spoke out of misplaced concern for the safety of this establishment and the people within it. I assure you that I intended no malice on my part.

Xerxes sighed. This has been a.. trying past few days, and my mind has been occupied by other burdens. Allow me to offer proper introductions. He crossed his right arm across his chest and offered a proper bow to the Elf and Snips. My name is Xerxes, and I am but a humble servant of The Dawnflower. I am at the service of You and Yours.
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2017-07-11 at 11:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Snips is about to answer Nyrius' question when Xerxes concedes and decides that perhaps it's better not to. It wouldn't get anything done and it doesn't seem like he's preparing to start a fight any more. She settles for clearing the confusion following Xerxes' introduction.

"Who is the Dawnflower?" She tilts her head.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

The bartender bring the raw meat plate for Snips and thr ester glass for Xerxes. He say nothing more, letting them continue their conversation.

The few people around the room seems pleased by the bard music.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Xerxes eyes visibly widened in surprise. He knew he had traveled far from the Empire, but to to see that there were places that Saranrae's light hadn't reached was astonishing. There was much work to be done. She bears many titles: The Everlight, The Healing Light, The Dawnflower. The name that most call her by is Saranrae. During the time of Creation, she fought the Rough Beast Rovagug and used the Flames of the Sun to cast the abomination down into the center of the World. His voice was saturated with religious fervor, and at this point he was delivering a partial sermon.

There are three sacred commandments that she has given us:

The First is to Lead with mercy, patience, and compassion. Inspire others to unite in fellowship.
    The Second is to Aid those who are without guide. Heal those who are without hope.
    The Third is that Those who are beyond redemption, who revel in slaughter and remorseless evil, must meet swift justice.
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2017-07-12 at 01:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Snips listens to Xerxes' explanation of The Dawnflower with rapt attention, as she places the meat down for Jakku to gobble up. Which it does. "She sounds very nice." She says, as she pushes the five coppers over to the barkeep. "Is that your symbol of her?" She asks, and points to the holy symbol laid on top of his robes. She then reaches inside her own robes, to retrieve the old and scratched holy symbol of Khepri. "This is Khepri. He's a dung beetle. He helps people, too. I think they would like each other."
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-07-12 at 01:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

When the subject of comparative religions is brought up, Nyrius nods along and interjects nothing of his own faith. The All-Seeing Eye's credo does not extend to proseltyzing others, and his beliefs are his own. He knows the basic tenets of the Dawnflower's faith, but Xerxes' words sound more like a proper recitation, and tell Nyrius considerably more about the man than about the god he worships. It leads him to a different conclusion, one which is supported by several independent factors coming together at once.

"In my studies," he begins, "the philosophy of Eclecticism is meant to signify a mixture of various styles - past and present, classical and modern - into a cohesive whole. It occurs to me that none of you have arrived with any companions. Given the Ruby Prince's lottery, I come to the most likely conclusion that you are, for various reasons, here to see that lottery won. I too am a lone traveler, and it behooves me to mention that an inn like this is as perfect an opportunity to form a new group as I have seen since entering Wati."

"So, would any of you care to find a table where we can discuss a potential partnership?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Xerxes was uncertain as Snips discussed this 'Khepri'. That wasn't a deity he ever heard of back in the Empire. Was this one of the local Osirion Gods? Her choice to describe her deity as 'A dung beetle', a creature which lived on the waste products of other creatures, did not endear Xerxes to this 'Khepri'. His first instinct would have been to admonish the young woman for comparing Saranrae to such a creature. However, he wasn't certain if he was motivated out of a desire to protect Saranrae's Image, or was this simply another manifestation of his sinful pride?

He laid his hand upon the holy symbol of Saranrae. It appeared as the the silhouette of a woman with outstretched arms, with the sun rising behind her head and angelic wings extending behind her. He smiled gently and said Yes, this is the Icon of Her that I have been granted the privilege to bear. He pondered his next words carefully. There are times when the Forces of Darkness seem to outnumber the Light. I do not know anything of your God, but I do know that all Powers high and low that wish to create a better future in the world must band together in the face of darkness. I would wish to learn more of this 'Khepri', given the appropriate time and place. If nothing else, to ensure that it and its followers are all as benevolent as she believes.

Xerxes was surprised by the clarity of the Elf's deductions. Had his purpose been that obvious? Regardless, it seemed that he was now starting to recognize what Saranrae had planned for him. He grabbed the water after paying the appropriate amount. He made his way over to a table, and gestured for the other two to join him. Yes. I do not believe our meeting here was a simple coincidence. I too wish to enter the Necropolis. My goal is to search for lost knowledge of the past.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Ron hears Xerxes speak about Sarenrea and decides to get closer to hear more clearly about what he was speaking. It was quite uncommon to meet another follower of Sarenrea in this place and he would waste the time to greet him. "Bless you brother.... and forgive my intrusion. I couldn't help myself and hear you are a fellow follower of the Dawnflower, Sarenrea. "

Ron decides he should present himself considering the situation. "My name is Ron Shiri. I am traveling bard and devoted servant to Sarenrea and besides me is my faithful companion Flatnote. If I can assist you in anyway, let me now. Oh! And once again, I am deeply sorry for interrupting the conversation between you two."
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I too wish to enter the Necropolis. My goal is to search for lost knowledge of the past."

These were the words that greeted Zhanyae as she stepped out into the main room of The Tooth & Hookah. At first the tengu was sure that she had misheard, that her own thoughts and plans had caused her to misinterpret what was actually being said. But the inn currently had only a few patrons, and as such there was very little background noise. No. Zhanyae was very certain that she had heard correctly.

Someone else in this room was planning an expedition into the tombs and crypts of the Necropolis. It would seem that her goddess had blessed her this day.

Advancing with a loping stride that was common amongst her people, Zhanyae tried to be inconspicuous as she examined the group that was seated at a nearby table. The one that had been talking about travelling into the tombs was a broad-shouldered type, with black hair, brown eyes, and a face that some humans might have called handsome. He was currently wearing robes that seemed purposefully loose, as if they were there to conceal weapons or armour beneath them.

His companions were a mixed bunch. An elf that at first glance appeared to be a scholar, a human bard still holding his instrument in his hands, and a human girl that had a large scorpion scuttling along beside her.

Eager to seize such an opportunity, but at the same time cautious of these people of which she knew nothing about, Zhanyae decided that she would observe for a moment before approaching them.

Adjusting her plain black vestments, Zhanyae walked over to the bartender and ordered a drink. "A cold glass of water, please." She squawked, sliding over the necessary amount of money. Almost as an afterthought, the tengu then asked. "And would you mind me telling how long that group over at the table has been here? I think one of them might be an old friend of mine." That was a lie, but a fairly believable one.

And while she waited for her drink, Zhanyae Chakk listened carefully, trying to discern more about this group of adventurers.
    Last edited by Bale Fire; 2017-07-13 at 09:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

"There are other people who know more." Snips tells Xerxes. It's at this point that she hears Nyrius' declaration that they were fated to meet, which she doesn't really see. She just came in for some meat. But, Bemekh did suggest she go to Wati for the lottery, and these strangers seem to know about it. So, she steps over the chair and sits down with Jakku happily nomming by her feet.

The Ron person that comes up next seems like Xerxes' business, so her eyes narrow on the thrush at the bard's side. Birds aren't her favorite, but small ones like this are rather rare. She offers flatnote a smile and a pleasant whistle that imitates birdsong.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

The bartender slide a glass of cold water (as cold as you can find in osirion anyway) to the tengu.

" Here miss. They all walk in separatly a few minute ago. The elf has been here the longuest, for about a quarter of an hour."

He then goes back to his business, and do not seem to care about the motive of Zhanyae's question.

(I'll write the cost of what everyone bought tonight)
    Last edited by Miry; 2017-07-13 at 12:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I greet you brother! From where do you hail? By this point I lost hope of meeting any of the Faithful outside of the Empire itself. Xerxes stepped up from the table to embrace Ron. It truely is Saranrae's will that brought us together to this place.

He returned to the table and looked up at the group. I would be interested in hearing more about your stakes in this affair. Why are you interested in exploring the Necropolis? I would prefer to avoid partnering with petty thieves and pillagers who have no respect for the place.

24. - Top - End - #24

Snips blinks as she's addressed again. So much conversation in one day is surprising, but welcome! It reminds her of...well, the person she's about to mention. "My friend, his name is Bemekh Darmok, he thinks I should join the lottery. So I am."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"I assure you, my interests are purely academic. I wish to re odd some of the architecture and building practices of the ancients, to add to my records. In fact, I plan to publish my works soon, and a first-hand look at an Ancient Osirian necropolis untouched for years is exactly what I am looking for." The elf speaks with a note of self-satisfaction, patting his bag with his notes and scrolls.

"Although," he adds as an afterthought, "if there is monetary compensation to be had, I would certainly not mind. I would never think of desecrating any resting places, of course, but even an elf needs to eat."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

"Certainly, brother. Sarenrae has smiled upon both of us." Ron declares in agreement. "I am also interested in exploration and have had some training in it. I wont deny that my interests partially involve the acquisition of gold but also want to put to good use the talents that my tutors teach me. I am not interested in desecration and destruction of ancient places or artifacts though."
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2017-07-14 at 08:17 PM.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Zhanyae had heard enough to figure out that these people were more than just thieves and looters. She still wasn't sure about the young girl, but at the very least she did not appear malicious.

Now she just had to figure out a way to approach them. Should she command them to assist her? Should she offer them money? Should she simply ask them? Zhanyae had done many things in her life, but joining a team of tomb explorers was a new one.

Eventually she decided to keep things simple. Downing the last of her water (which was not nearly as cold as she had hoped), the tengu walked over to the low table where the three humans and the elf were seated.

"My name is Zhanyae Chakk, and I am a cleric of Pharasma." She said, introducing herself as she approached. "I overheard the four of you talking about forming a team to enter the Necropolis. I will not mask my words. If your goal is to invade these tombs, then you must take me with you."
    Last edited by Bale Fire; 2017-07-14 at 09:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

snips narrows her eyes at the short woman that strides over to their table. Not for any kind of impoliteness, but for the name she uses. "You follow Pharasma?" She tilts her head. "Why do you have a beak?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Zhanyae couldn't help but stare at the young girl who was now asking her so many questions. The tengu had anticipated many different responses from the group, but being asked "Why do you have a beak?" was not one of them.

"Yes, I serve goddess of life and death, Pharasma." Zhanyae replied. "And I have a beak because I have always had a beak, just as you have always had a mouth, a nose, and a pair of eyes." Ruffling her feathers, the cleric waved her hand at the girl dismissively. "In the future please do not ask me such foolish questions. I cannot stand such nonsense."

30. - Top - End - #30

Snips narrows her eyes further, then holds her head high. "Don't try to get your beak on Jakku. I've got feed in my packs if you really need to eat, okay?" The giant scorpion looks between the two women, then goes back to its meal.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-07-15 at 10:36 AM.