New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Sound of a Giant Kitty?

Bit of a weird science question: if there was a mutant tabby cat the size of a tiger, would it still meow and purr like a regular-sized cat, or would it roar like a big cat?

I'm working on a weird post-apocalyptic setting where your average household pets grew big enough to be dangerous, and one of the players wants to tame a giant tabby to be her mount and best friend, y'see.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Sound of a Giant Kitty?

Purring is pretty standard. Cheetahs and pumas are closer-related to tabbies than tigers - and they purr. Roaring requires certain vocal adaptations - Felinae (all cats closer to tabbies than tigers)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felinae

don't have them. Even the snow leopard and clouded leopard - early offshoots of the "big cats" (pantherines) don't roar.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Purring is pretty standard. Cheetahs and pumas are closer-related to tabbies than tigers - and they purr. Roaring requires certain vocal adaptations - Felinae (all cats closer to tabbies than tigers)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felinae

don't have them. Even the snow leopard and clouded leopard - early offshoots of the "big cats" (pantherines) don't roar.
    I see! Thanks, hamishspence!

Do pumas or snow leopards meow? I know cheetahs "chirp" or something...
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2017-07-12 at 03:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

If it's just a scaled-up house cat, it will make the same sounds, just probably an octave or two lower, and maybe 10-20 decibels louder (if I understand my decibel scale correctly). If the mutation involves more than the body knowing when to stop growing (i.e. not the feline version of Clifford the Big, Red, Dog), then you might need to start looking into different types of vocalizations.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pumas have the same sorts of sounds as housecats, but they have a few sounds that sound roar-ish. Well, death-scream-ish. As in "something is about to die, and it probably isn't me". Pumas aren't that much smaller than tigers (in fact the largest adult pumas are larger than the smallest adult tigers due to the extreme variation in size among tigers), being about 2/3rds the length. If you shift puma noises down about half an octave and increased them by about 10 decibels (so about "twice" the volume), you should be able to make very compelling noises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

A random but probably at least a little useful YT link:

The bit about the bone that controls the roar is probably the most important bit as well as the inhale/exhale bit about the purr.

When it comes right down to it, as nearly always, it's really that old bugaboo of 'definition of terms'. How one defines a 'roar' and 'purr', to be specific.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    A random but probably at least a little useful YT link:
    It's a glorious channel, well suited to research for this game. Plus, there's something intrinsically entertaining about cat videos once you've switched to seeing what happens when you give domestic cat toys (boxes, catnip, laser pointers) to big cats.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks everyone! For frame of reference, this kitty will be at least big enough that the player can ride it like He-Man on Battle-Cat.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Thanks everyone! For frame of reference, this kitty will be at least big enough that the player can ride it like He-Man on Battle-Cat.
    Best. Decision. Ever! I gave my player's Paladin a horse-sized Smilodon to ride for his holy mount (and some friendly Rakasta to provide the tack and saddle).

Tigers (the biggest modern cats) generally top out at about 675 pounds (one reportedly reached 875). War horses (15 - 16 hands high) were around 1500 - 2000 lbs. So really, any cat could be the base for your giant cat. I'd say, pick your base species, and give the giant version the same sounds, scaled up in volume, and down in pitch.

And have fun!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just wanted to share this as my personal reference point for giant kitties. Basically a low, loud meow rather than an outright roar.

Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I have heard, though I'm no expert, that wild cats only purr when they're kittens/cubs. As adults they lose the habit, only domesticated cats keep it up.

For what it's worth.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I've read that about miaowing - as a "kitten vocalisation to parent" and that domestic cats, being infantilised to a degree, keep it up as adults.

But not about purring before.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Well with adult domestic cats, I think they have a tendency to think that humans are just really old cats, so they behave like kittens around people, but change their behaviour when there are no people nearby.

You can see this if you catch a cat on the hunt outdoors. It'll be all quiet, sneaky and predatory - until it notices you, at which point it will relax, 'exit stealth' and probably mew at you. It's like they flip a switch between 'cat mode' and 'kitten mode'.

Another thing I've heard is that big cats only make the purr sound on the outward breath, while domestic cats can purr continuously, on both the in and out breaths.

Spoiler: Some cat linguistics for the OP, in case you didn't know
    Show
    Purring is an indication of non-hostility. A purring cat is saying "I'm not going to attack you." The opposite it hissing: "back off or I will attack." Purring at a cat is a good way to get it to trust you. Also lying down with your belly up, but that's not always possible when you first go into a stranger's house...

Chirping is an instruction to "follow me" or "come over here" - my cat does it when she spots a mosquito; probably because she's learned that I will always drop whatever I'm doing in order to kill any mosquitoes in the room.

Tail wagging is a gesture of uncertainty. When a cat whips its tail from side to side, it's not sure whether to fight or flee (generally it's between those two options).

Rubbing the sides of the head on something is a mark of ownership. Cats have scent glands there so rubbing them on something leaves their scent on it and marks it as theirs.

I believe meowing is an all-purpose call for attention, like a baby's cry. I used to have a cat that would always do a 'meep meep' kind of meow whenever he entered a room, like "hello, I'm coming in!" Some people have suggested it might also be an attempt to mimic prey species to put them off guard, or even an attempt to mimic human babies to get more attention.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-07-15 at 05:07 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

This is excellent! Thank you all. The player is going to LOVE taking on the city-sized abandoned hyperstore post-apocalyptic world with her tiger-sized tabby pal!
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2017-07-16 at 01:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

My guess would be it sounds kinda like this, except louder as its a horse sized cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel