New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Road of Queens - CKII India AAR

Crusader Kings 2 - The Road of Queens
    Chapter Twenty-Four : Power Houses of 783 AD

Islam In Spain

Let us leave the Queen and the Kingdom behind, for the moment, to see what the rest of the known world is up to. So let us, once again, list the top seven military powers. Are you ready my readers? Hold on to your hats.

It is December, in the year 783 AD, and the first military power we will be visiting is the Byzantine Empire! Looks like they jumped up in the world. Oh my, the Emperor has seen better days. He is on his third wife and involved in two wars. Both war seem to be revolts but only one seems to be a revolt against him.

Spoiler: Byzantine Empire
    Show

Only fourteen thousand soldiers under his command. Think about how much more powerful he would be if his realm was not split in two pieces. Now, let us move to the Middle East, not too far away, to visit the Arabian Empire.

Spoiler: Arabian Empire
    Show

The Caliph Al-Mansur, "The Mutilator", has about twelve thousand soldiers and is in a war to force another ruler to pay him tribute. If he doesn't do something about all the sinning in his family there is going to be some problems. But let us leave him and move on to the next power house of the known world the Byzantine Revolt.

Yes, a terrible ruler on paper. Theoktistos is incapable with a blind regent and under two thousand warriors. But remember, with revolts, is it what they could possibly call up that is important for our list. If he was a better ruler and better liked he could call up at least seven thousand soldiers.

Spoiler: Byzantine Revolt
    Show

Opinions matter when it comes to taxes and levies. His eleven vassals are just not giving him the men he needs. And he has no skills for....anything.

Spoiler: Andaluisa (Spain)
    Show

Now on to Spain where we find Sultan Abd-al-Rahman trying to win a war against Saadid. They are fighting for their independence and you would think against Analusia's almost seven thousand soldiers they would not have a chance. But they have an ally.

We move north to greet their ally and number five on the list of military powers. West Francia still ruled by King Karl who has five thousand soldiers and is mad. And when I say mad I do mean totally unhinged.

Spoiler: West Francia
    Show

He is in two wars. One of which is helping Saadid gain their freedom. Too bad the Sultan is winning. The other war is against a West Francia Revolt which King Karl, and his ally the King of Lombardy, IS winning. Maybe that is where most of his troops are focused?

Now we move in a strange direction. Deeper into Europe. We travel to this jigsaw puzzle of colors and shapes to find King Mnata. Known as "The Butcher" of Bohemia. A Tribal Kingdom in which the King has almost six thousand soldiers, a wife, three concubines, and seven surviving children.

Spoiler: Bohemia
    Show

He is in a war with one of the local Khans over a piece of land called Nita but it is a MASSIVE war as both leaders called in all their allies. There are fourteen realms involved in this conflict. "The Butcher" seems to be winning but with so many rulers on both sides fortunes can change as quickly as the winds.

Now, let us move to the last power on our list. Let us return to India! The Maharaja Vajrayudha of Ayudha Kingdom. A neighbor of Pala (in fact they had a war with them) this Great King has five thousand plus warriors under his command, thirty-five vassals, four children, and you don't want him plotting against you. He is in a war with a different Kingdom ( Pratihara there to the west) to force them to pay him tribute. And he is winning.

Spoiler: Kosala (Ayudha)
    Show

So, looks like we have some new powerful realms on the list. Well, things change, Kingdoms rise and fall, armies are defeated, and Kings are assassinated. So let us, in our next chapter, return back to the Kingdom of Kamarupa and to the Queen. For now, farewell my readers!
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

2. - Top - End - #32

Chapter Twenty-Five : Children Are The Future

Got To Teach Them While They're Young

Let us return to the Queen in January, of the year 784 AD, when it is announced that the latest war of the Great King of Pala was over.

Spoiler: Another Little War Of The Great King Comes To An End
    Show

Later that month she ordered Makarios Tarmind back to Kamarupanagara to improve relations with her local Bhikkhu Isaias of Hajo. It seemed he was not just envious of her but wanted a seat on the Council. In other words he likely wanted to replace Tarmid!

Spoiler: A Very Flawed Buddhist Monk
    Show

In February the Queen was having some problems within her Capital of Kamarupanagara and sent her Magistros, her husband the Despot Georgios, to better relations with her vassals in the Castle/Palace.

Spoiler: Good Public Relations
    Show

In late February she asked her husband for some advice. She wanted to get Prince Basileios into a arranged betrothal. But the only girl of uncommon blood was Shaykhah Santa of the House of Urabo, a ruler of a tiny realm on the other side of the Tibetan Plateau. A land ruled by the every changing borders between warring horse lords it was likely the child would not even MAKE it to womanhood. But if she did she would make a wonderful Queen for her son. And yes, the girl was willing to take Basileios as her King.(1)

Spoiler: An Offer
    Show

"Well," mused the Despot aloud, "it would start another branch of your family outside of India. On one hand, that isn't a bad idea. On the other hand, if they expand and become powerful, their offspring could try to claim your throne as their own."

"And how would they force such a claim over the plateau?" asked the Queen with the smirk.

"Point taken," said he husband looking over the maps. "I will send the request."

Spoiler: The Reply
    Show

An answer was received in March and was a yes. When both came of age they would marry and, if everything went well, the Prince would become ruler of his own little realm. Far away from his oldest brother - the future King.

Spoiler: Another Tiger Hunt
    Show

The Queen decided to have a tiger hunt in April. She sent the invitations out on the 15th and only got one refusal. From the Count Pusyamitra. She assumed this business had to do with a maid or two. (2)

Even before the hunt started Kakanvati, Pystamitra's lover, became known as the Unfaithful. And her daughter was old enough to get a new guardian.

"Wait," said the confused Queen to her husband, "I thought you said children have to be twelve? This girl is six!"

"Well," said Georgios. "A guardian is not the same as changing their education. And I never had children so how would I know."

Spoiler: The Despot's New Ward
    Show

The Queen face palmed and told Kakanvati that the Despot would now be the child's teacher. The result could be the girl might end up becoming Greek. Which was the point.

Spoiler: The Hunt Starts!
    Show

The Queen enjoyed the journey to the hunting camp. Reminded her of marching to war. When they got to the old hunting camp, the servants started to unpack, the soldiers started to prepare their weapons, and the hunters debated the best region to search for the big cats.

Spoiler: A New Friend
    Show

The best part of the hunt, besides the promise of getting a new tiger skin, was the late night drinking with her vassals. During this hunt it seemed she became best friends with Baroness Eusebia of Prithiminagar.

During one of the slow periods of the hunt the Queen sent a message to her husband stating that all the children of the Court old enough to be assigned a Greek Guardian should have one assigned to them as soon as possible. Her husband assigned Himadrij, a young female courtier in the Court, to Romanos on the hopes she would become Greek AND a good fighter.

Spoiler: Another Child Gets A Guardian And A Failed Hunt
    Show

Shortly afterwards the Queen came back to the Court having failed to find a tiger. But she had gained an important friend and that was worth something.

In August Tryphon and Amritakala, one of her Greek/Native marriages, produced a baby girl named Zoe. The Queen suggested the girl learn etiquette from the councilors and courtiers.

Spoiler: Another Baby...*YAWN*
    Show

In September the accountants reported to her that the small County of Kamatapur was prospering.

Spoiler: County Of Kamatapur
    Show

In October news leaked over the border from the Kingdom of Pala. It seems another plot against the Great King had been uncovered and one of the backers REFUSED to abandon the plot. The Great King had to go to the source of the plot and order the main plotter, Raja Kanak "The Wicked" of Malla Raj, to disband in order to end the scheme The fact that one of the Great King's vassals REFUSED to stop backing a plot to murder him speaks volumes of the state of the Kingdom of Pala and the feelings the people have for their Ruler.

Spoiler: Another Plot Within The Kingdom Of Pala
    Show

Also in October the Queen learned of the birth of a new courtier to her court. The baby, named Damayanti, was another product of the love affair between Kakanvati and Count Pusyamitra. The Queen decided the girl's earlier years should be focused on he teachings of Buddha so she did not end up called the "Unfaithful" like her mother. Poor thing was already a bastard.

Spoiler: Another Love Child
    Show

Near the end of the year the Queen had more money, another friend, two sons who would be future Rulers, more children in her Court who could become locally born and bred Greeks, and a powerful neighboring Kingdom which seemed about to explode at any moment. But for the failed tiger hunt not a bad year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author’s End Notes:

1. Sheikh - also transliterated as Sheik, Shaik, Shayk, and so on, is a title from the Arabic language, which commonly designates a ruler of the tribe who inherited the title from their father. Sheikha (or in this case Sheykha) is given to the royal female at birth.

2. Many a author has debated why she decided to go on a tiger hunt. The two choices seem to be she decide to go on a hunt either out of boredom or to celebrate her youngest son getting a future wife.

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Did I read right that you took your magistros off fabricating a claim? Or was it a different counselor who ended up getting sent to improve relations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Did I read right that you took your magistros off fabricating a claim? Or was it a different counselor who ended up getting sent to improve relations?
    It was a event - the game didn't stop him from working on the claim it just gave you the choice to improve your relationship with the Feudal Vassals or the City Vassals.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35

Chapter Twenty-Six : Training Grounds, Another Arranged Marriage, And More Scheming

Wheels Within Wheels

We start this chapter at the start of 785 AD, a very slow year, and our story will mostly deal with minor events that happened within the Kingdom. The first thing to happen of interest, funny enough, happened outside the Kingdom. It seems the Great King Dharmapala the Unchaste took away the holdings of Mallabhum from Kanak the Wicked. You remember the vassal (well one of many) who tried to have the Great King killed?

Spoiler: Gee, No, Really?
    Show

The Queen was too focused on her military to worry about what was happening on the outside. You see she had noticed a slight drop in her total levies. So she ordered the construction of a Militia Training Ground in her Capital Province. She sent her Sakellarios, Kumarapala, to oversee the building of the Training Ground.

Spoiler: Training Ground
    Show

Then the Queen ordered the record of every available single female Buddhist within range of her messengers be brought to her private quarters. And she went over them. And over them. And over them. And she found Jodhabai. A lowborn female Buddhist who looked like she would make the perfect wife. She was learned and VERY well skilled with the handling of money. It was said she was also just and kind. She WAS a little shy no doubt from being somewhat of a bookworm but that was a small flaw. If only the Queen's oldest son would agree to a marriage with the young woman. The Queen invited Jodhabai to court and planned her next step.

Spoiler: Stress Of Match-Making
    Show

In fact she was slightly stressed out about it BUT refused to let it get her down. The bride-to-be did in fact show up in Court and the Queen suggested the match to her son, Prince Andronikos, forwarding all the wonderful facts about the young woman.

Spoiler: An Invite
    Show

While she waited the Great King Dharmapala started a war of Subjugation on the Raja Bhavadeva of Somavamsi Raj.

Spoiler: Another Great War?
    Show

The Queen dismissed this as just another war. When she got her son's reply she was very happy. He agreed to marry the Jodhabai once of proper age!

Spoiler: What A Good Coupling
    Show

By June the Queen the decided she needed to relax and find some stress relief among the lay members of the Savaka-Sangha by joining them at one of the nearby monasteries.

Spoiler: A Peaceful Retreat
    Show

Around this time the Society asked her to give them some gold to help with their holy mission. They wanted a 100 coins. The Queen refused. She loved Buddha. But she also was planning for a war and planned to win the war.

Spoiler: Give HOW Much?
    Show

Almost as if to punish her for her failure to Buddha (or maybe it was just bad luck) Romanos died from a natural death at the age of 49 years. The Queen placed her friend Partap, in the Protostrator seat, and had him start training the armies. She then selected Iordanes, one of her Greek Freeloaders, as a new Commander to replace Partap.

Spoiler: Reshuttling Positions
    Show

She also had to give Himadrija Kamarupanagarid a new Guardian so she picked Makarios. He was always a good choice as a teacher being Greek and Buddhist.

Spoiler: Monks Always Make Good Guardians
    Show

While the Queen was at the monastery she found herself discussing the Buddhavacana with Sotapanna Vasumati but it turned out the woman wasn't as interested in the book as one would have thought.(1)

Spoiler: Not A New Friend?
    Show

During this time she also overheard some rumors that the Raja Bhavadeva was WINNING his war against the Great King. She was shocked but also not willing to totally believe such rumors. Just because the Raja was winning NOW did not mean he would win the WAR.

In September she also found out that the Count of Srihatta had started a faction to increase Council power. Which made no sense as he wasn't ON the Council. So she decided to ignore the problem for the moment.

Spoiler: A Goldsmith In Town
    Show

In October she heard that a Goldsmith was traveling through her Kingdom. She invited him to her court. When he arrived, with his wife, the Queen looked over the samples of his work and decided on ordering a small commission. That cost her a year's worth of income.

In November she received word that the Militia Training Ground had been finished in Kamarupanagara. Which meant the project had been finished ahead of time. This allowed her to reassign her Sakellarios to researching economic advances in the County of Haruppeswara. She really needed him to figure out how to build a Trade Post in that region.

Prince Basileios became 12 years of age in November and it was time for his more advanced education to be selected. The Queen decided that the youngest Prince should continue to learn the art of war.

Spoiler: Basileios's Education
    Show

Later that month she was told that the Countess Vijnayati of Srihatta was plotting to kill her rival Kakanvati the Unfaithful. The Countess already had three backers willing to help her - one of them Kakanvati's own husband. The Queen sent a request for the Countess NOT to kill people.

Spoiler: Jealous Countess
    Show

This reminded her of the Count of Srihatta and his own plotting. She sent the Spy Master to Srihatta to see if he could find a way to discourage the Count from continuing his own schemes.

So we end the year with a slightly happier Queen waiting for Countess's reply and for her second husband to bring her a legal claim. Running a realm could be interesting but she still wanted to feel the joy of warfare. So much simpler to use a sword than a pen. She loved Buddha but still wanted to smash something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author’s End Notes:

1. Buddha Vandana - "Book of Devotion" - Normally a text full of chants and, sometimes, instructional information about Buddhism.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-07-29 at 09:51 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

Chapter Twenty-Seven : Black Borders

Death Comes For All In the End

We will start this chapter in January 786 AD when the Queen receives a reply from the Countess stating she would end her plotting.

Spoiler: Countess Stops Plotting
    Show

Finally, Raja Shurapala of Shantideva Raj was an adult and took the throne. He was the perfect steward for his realm. Also he was a just man if a bit cruel. But not much else. In fact it seemed he had already annoyed the religious authorities.

Spoiler: Raja Shurapala Comes Of Age
    Show

Also, in February the Queen was notified that the Raja Bhavadeva was about to win his war with Maharaja Dharmapala. It seems the Raja had taken a page from the Queen and hired over SEVEN THOUSAND hired men to help fight for him.

Spoiler: Great King NOT So Great?
    Show

"Let us keep an eye on this Raja," said the Queen to her Councilors.

Then on the 17th of April, 786 AD, the Queen passed away in her sleep. And her fifteen year old son, Prince Andronikos became Despot Andronikos.

Spoiler: The Queen IS Dead. Long Live The Despot!
    Show

His first act, with the approval of the Regent Indrapala, was to fill his Council.(1)

Spoiler: The Regent
    Show

Georgios Matzaris, his stepfather, was placed back into the position of Magistros and sent back to continue to work on the claim in Suvarnagram.

The next choice was to pick the Commander Warrior Monk, Bhikku Pelagios and give him the title of Protostrator. It is DOUBTFUL the Queen would have approved of such a choice - the only powerful landowner she had allowed on the Council was her first husband. Still, her son was young and not as skilled as his mother in these things. The boy assigned the Warrior Monk to training the armies.

The next choice was Susthitavarman, a relatively loyal but largely unknown person to historians, as Sakellarios and the boy ordered him to work on helping the boy run the realm.

The next position of Mystikos was filled by Eustratios the Goldsmith who was sent to build a spy network in Srihatta to watch that family closely. The boy wasn't a fool and planned to keep an eye on them.

The last position of Upadhyaya was given to Vasumati, another relatively unknown lowborn from the Court courtiers, who was kept in the Capital to improve relations with the religious leaders.

Spoiler: New Public Projects
    Show

His next act was to order the building of two new Trade Posts in the other two counties along the Silk Road.

Spoiler: A New Ruler And A New Council
    Show

So in April, we close the chapter, as the new future-King/Despot settles into his new position.(2)

Author’s End Notes:

1. A lowborn man the Queen had selected for his steadfast loyally and well-rounded set of skills

2. It isn't know what happened to Jodhabai. All evidence suggests she passed away.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Chapter Twenty-Eight : The Boy Becomes The Teenager

The Heavy Crown Of POWER!

The boy was in a limbo of power. He could do some things but not others. For example, the vassals were displeased due to him holding too many Duchies. But the Council refused to let him hand out landed titles - so he was stuck with it till he was crowned and formally had the power of the throne. Until then he would have to find out ways to improve his position via other means.

So he did what he could. First off, with the earlier death of Romanos, his brother's new guardian had become Indrapala. The Despot Andronikos felt the Regent, while a good man, was not skilled enough in the art of war to make Prince Basileios the general and warrior he would need to be. So the Despot suggested Bhikkhu of Madan Kamdev, the Warrior Monk, as a replacement. It was accepted.

Spoiler: Isaias Is Still A Problem
    Show

In reviewing the opinions of his vassals he noticed the Bhikkhu Isaias still have issued.

Spoiler: A Rival?
    Show

In late April it turned out Anktsas Bharuka was thirteen years old and required the Despot to make a suggestion for his continued education. This was the son of the Queen's old Court Physician and, funny enough, this lowly Courtier felt that the Despot was HIS rival. The parents were told to give him a diplomatic education.

Spoiler: The Great King LOST?!?!
    Show

At the same time the Pala-Somavamsi Subjugation War ended as the Raja WON! And it seems the Great King had somehow been wounded. It was unknown if this was battle related.(1)

Spoiler: Wasting A Minor Title
    Show

In October, in trying to improve one of his vassals' opinion of him he gave Major Adrianos the title of Court Musician. He realized that such titles were only useful to increase the happiest of a vassal who was already VERY happy with you. He promised not to waste the titles in the future.

Later that month Magistros Georgios came to him and reported there were whispers of a rare artifact that MIGHT be true. The Despot suggested that Georgios could search for it himself (on top of working on the claim).

Spoiler: Rare Artifact Search
    Show

A day later the Magistros asked for help with the search. He wanted some more diplomats. While this seemed reasonable the Despot turned this request down. He needed every diplomat working hard to keep his relationships with other realms as stable as possible.

In November the Goldsmith, Eustratios the Spy Master, reported he finally had something on the Count and that the Despot only had to choose how to use it against him. By the 18th the Count replied by stating he would disband his faction and did so on the 21st of November.

Spoiler: Disbanding The Faction
    Show

It allowed his Spy Master to return to the Capital to scheme, plot, and maybe get to work on those jewels the Queen had ordered? Maybe?

Spoiler: Another War For the Great King
    Show

While this was happening the Great King declared another war on another King.

Then it was the 17th of January, 787 AD, and the boy was now a teenager. But also he was crowned the Ruler of the Kingdom.

Spoiler: Coming Of Age
    Show

NOW it was time to decide things and to hell with the Councilors' wishes. First, he decided to focus on working on the war chest while, at the same time, trying to focus on ruling the Kingdom properly.

Spoiler: The Future Of The Kingdom
    Show

Then he selected a wife. There was some problems with that. Many of the best choices were too young or did not like him or were insane. In the end he selected Lilavati, a lowborn Buddhist with four daughters and skilled in many things. He invited her to his court and she accepted. Of course, he paid for the service, which impressed the people so much he gained more honor than he had lost marrying a commoner.

Spoiler: A Royal Wedding
    Show

So by the 29th of January, 787 AD, we had Despot Andronikos who was now married and in charge. A grown man in which the histories tell us was known for being moderate, patient, and charitable. And the perfect steward.

Spoiler: Long Live The Despot!
    Show

Would this be enough?

Author’s End Notes:

1. The Raja had captured some of the Great King's Commanders during the war and they had to pay their own ransoms as the Great King refused to pay for their freedom!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

Chapter Twenty-Nine : A New Doux

Vassals - Can't Live With Them And They're Kinda Hard To Kill

So, right after the wedding with his new wife the Despot Andronikos of Kamarupa decided he needed to figure out what to do with his three Duchies. He had to give one away and he knew just the one. The Duchy of Para-Lauhitya. Just like his Mother, the Queen, had given it away to her own husband.

He needed somebody to take it who would be harmless. Well, mostly harmless.

He invited a lowborn named Cowaske to his court. The man was a theologian and was good at handling money. He was also said to be trusting and just. He was unwed and was somewhat old. Just the man the Despot wanted. The man arrived on the 9th of February and was greeted with two titles. He became the Count of Goalpara and then the Doux of Para-Lauhitya. He was pleased but, like many men of power, seemed to want more.

Spoiler: A New Doux
    Show

The Despot wasn't too worried about that. The Doux was fifty-seven years old. He would not live long enough to become a powerful threat. In a way the Despot was very wrong.

The Despot did find it amusing that the Count Pusyamitra of Srihatta was now the Doux's problem.

In fact, in March of 787 AD the Count founded the "Increased Council Power In Para-Lauhitya" faction. The Despot wondered how his new Doux would handle this issue?

Spoiler: A Crazy Baron?
    Show

While this was happening one of his Barons, Birapala, imprisoned his own wife for no reason that any of his courtiers or agents could find. He just tossed the Baroness into jail.

In April the Count of Srihatta decided he was powerful enough to demand the Doux increase his Council's powers and started a war when his demands were refused.

Spoiler: A Civil War
    Show

On paper both of them controlled a County and should have started on equal footing when it came to wealth and soldiers. In reality the Doux had the advantage of receiving income from both counties. So he used his larger purse to hire four thousand hired swords to add to his own small levies.

The Despot was impressed. And alarmed. This Doux was smart and aggressive.

In late April the Despot received reports that both Trade Posts, the one in Haruppeswara and the one in Kundina, were finished. At this point the Despot's income was more than a 100 gold coins a year.

In June the Doux won his little war and imprisoned Count Pusyamitra.

At this point there were more than just the Despot who started to notice how powerful the new Doux was. In fact his old liege, Marzoban Dharmawarme of Kuci, started to plot the Doux's murder. It seemed the man thought of the Doux as he rival at this point. Maybe seeing a former vassal outdo him on all levels made him jealous? This was a plot the Despot pretended to ignore.

In late July his Sakellarios reported that his work in Kamatapur had increased the infrastructure and that he motivated the people to work even harder! That was nice but the Despot received even better news just after that report - the claim he wanted, the claim his Mother had wanted, was now his for a small amount of money! Of course he paid for it and started the countdown to war.

Spoiler: A Claim! A Claim!
    Show

On the 27th of July, 787 AD, the Doux revoked the County of Srihatta from Pusyamitra the Lecher. This made him even more powerful than the Despot's dead father had been. On top of that the old man had gained two concubines. If they produced an heir...

Spoiler: A POWERFUL Doux
    Show

The Doux had to go. The Despot sent down the Goldsmith, his Spy Master, to start scheming right under the Doux's nose and then sent out feelers to see who would help him with the plot. Three backers joined in the plot. All of his Religious Vassals! Even Bhikkhu Isaias joined after a small bribe.(1)

Spoiler: A Royal Plot
    Show

At this point his Protostrator reported that Commander Balavarman, once King of the Kingdom, had improved in his military skills. The Despot also was asked if he would pay for increased security to protect his own Royal person. He agreed.

Spoiler: Daily Duties
    Show

In November, wishing to take his mind of the plot and to also increase positive relations with his vassals, he decided it was time to celebrate the season! The only one to refuse was the Baron who had jailed his wife for no reason. The Despot decided a humble (cheap) gift would be good enough for his wife.

Spoiler: Party Invites and A Gift
    Show

At this point the Despot remembered that Georgios was still out in the field and sent him a message to come back to the Capital to perform daily duties within the Court.

Spoiler: A Feast
    Show

The feast began on the 19th of November after all the preparations were finished. While the official records suggest the Queen was pleased with her gift the private papers of many of the vassals and servants suggest otherwise. When the darkest night came the guests feasted on rich foods and sweet wines. As the Court celebrated the lamps kept back the darkness and allowed the Despot, for one moment, to find a silent island in a ocean of politics. The Feast came to an end in December and was reported a great achievement.

Spoiler: End Of One Year And Start Of Another
    Show

The New Year for 788 AD came and went without any news on the plot. The only change was that the Spy Master brought the Despot a guard dog to help protect his Royal person.

The Doux, on the other hand, had no clue about what was happening behind the scenes of his court. In fact he tried to be the best Doux he could even to the point of converting one of Mayors under him to Buddhism.

The Despot also had his own duties to carry out while the plot bubbled away. In June the Despot filled an empty Commander position with Bhikkhu Isaias. Who was now very loyal but had no idea what end of a sword to hold onto.

Spoiler: More Duties
    Show

In July the Despot even helped educate the Baron Salasthamba to be more charitable. Unlike his Mother he had no bad history with the family and was looking just to produce a good vassal.

Spoiler: Another Greek Freeloader
    Show

Also, another Greek presented himself to the Despot and the Royal Court. The Despot knew how to handle Freeloaders from Greece. Within a half-an-hour the poor man was being escorted out of the Court by his new wife.

In August the Despot's private records shown he was approached by the Courtier Kakanvati the Unfaithful. Seems she fancied him. He turned her down without a second thought. Seems he found the idea of bedding down with her disturbing.(2)

Spoiler: Two Invites - One Refused And One Given
    Show

In November he decided two plots were better than one and joined the plot by Marzoban Dharmawarme of Kuci. If one failed maybe the other would not?

Spoiler: The Queen HAS A Bun In The Royal Oven
    Show

Later that month two things happened that forced him to rethink his decisions. One, the Doux now had a heir in the form of a new born child from one of his concubines. Even if the man was killed NOW the titles would go to the son. Second, his own Queen announced she was heavy with child. So the Despot cancelled his own plot BUT continued to back the other one. If it worked he could never be blamed for it and if it failed he lost nothing on it.

After all, the Doux seemed to like his liege and there were ways to deal with the children of vassals. If the Despot's own child was a girl maybe they could be matched up.(3)

Spoiler: A Powerful Couple
    Show

So, by November the 26th, of the year 788 AD, the Despot and his Queen were powerful, wealthy, and waiting for their first child. And the Despot waited for the right timing for the war to begin.

Author’s End Notes:

1. Bhikkhu Isaias's increased opinion of his liege, due to the bribe, also meant he was willing to pass on more of the taxes he collected. Which meant the bribe would end up paying for itself within a few years.

2. With her former lover, the Count, having been stripped of his title it could be she was looking for another "patron".

3. The Doux's son could become the next Despot to a NEW Queen. Making him a powerful husband and ally at the same time keeping him on a short leash.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

Chapter Thirty : Bandits And A Full War Chest

A Bandit Problem

As the Despot waited for his chests to fill up with gold coins he recalled his Mystikos to Kamarupa to keep an "eye" on the Court.

Spoiler: Capital County
    Show

He also visited the countryside around the Castle/Palace to visit the little people, talk to the elders, and pass out some shiny coins. He remembered his mom seemed to enjoy such duties.

Spoiler: The Kingdom's Silk Road
    Show

It seemed to help the County of Kamarupanagara greatly. The Silk Road was also just pouring coins into his Trade Posts.

In the 23rd of April of 789 AD The Pala holy War for Bandhugadha ended and the Great King won this time.

Spoiler: A Holy War Is Won
    Show

In May the Doux presented himself to the Despot and promised not to join a faction. For now.

Spoiler: A Well Behaved Doux
    Show

In June rumors and reports reached the court of raiders attacking traders and travellers in the County of Kundina. The Despot sent his Warrior Monk, Pelagios, to deal with the scum. Sadly the Monk came back defeated.

Spoiler: Bandit Scum!
    Show

On the 23rd of June his accountants brought him the happy news. The war chests were overflowing with coins.

Spoiler: Goals!
    Show

The Despot decided that his next long term goal was to focus on his heir or heirs. But for right now...

The records say he entered his private bedroom and opened a trunk at the base of the bed. He pulled out the sword he had been given by his Mother and drew it out of its sheath. He examined the edges and then called for his attendants.

When they came he handed them the sword and said, "Prepare it." He had never liked it but he knew he would have to at least WEAR the weapon into battle. Better make sure it was ready for the job.

Then he called out, "Bring me my Councilors! And my Commanders! We go to WAR!"

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

I suppose we should be glad the Despot wasn't mad, else his war chest would have had wheels and a catapult.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

11. - Top - End - #41

Chapter Thirty-One : A Long Bloody War

Knock, Knock!

The events of this period of time can be split into two sections. One dealing with the military events and one dealing with the non-military events. So this chapter will deal with all events slightly before and during the war. It will also touch on all the related actions and decisions made by the folks involved in the conflict.

Chapter Thirty-Two will deal with the other events before and during the war that had nothing to do with battles or warfare. Thus I hope to keep the history of this conflict as clean and clear as this author can WITHOUT dismissing the other pieces of information a reader may enjoy and wish to know. I just plan to separate the two into easier to digest pieces. Please forgive me if some details are not as clear as they could be - many written official histories and first person records of these events were either destroyed or sometimes at conflict with each other.

We open this chapter on the 23rd of June, 789 AD, in the Capital County as the Despot, Commander of the army's right flank, marches out with the Bengal Band. A company of one thousand four hundred and forty hired soldiers under Captain Harendranarayan. The same band the Queen had hired so many years ago.

Spoiler: The Bengal Band
    Show

As they marched south the Captain was assigned the Commander of the army's center while Commander Salambha was in the charge of left flank. The plan was simple - they would be in Suvarnagram by the time the Raja received the declaration.

The war - The Kamarupa Claim on Suvarnagram War - started on the 14th of August, 789 AD, at which time both sides raised their levies.(1)

The enemy soldiers assembling in Suvarnagram were caught off guard by the mass of attacking men. They crumbled under the weight and the first battle of the war - the Battle of Narikella - ended as they were wiped out to the last man.

Spoiler: The Battle of Narikella
    Show

The Despot then ordered the army across the river - to the southeast - into Karmanta. That is where they attacked another group of enemy soldiers. Like others of the Raja Shurapala's levies they were still assembling their forces, collecting supplies, and shaking the dust of their weapons.

Spoiler: The Battle of Karmanta
    Show

In the Battle of Karamanta the enemy was wiped out at the cost of one hired blade.

At this point the Despot’s levies had assembled and joined the hired swords in Karamanta. This doubled the size of the Despot’s army. Shortly after that there was a Second Battle of Karamanta as five enemy soldiers showed up late to the call to arms.

Spoiler: The Second Battle of Karmanta
    Show

It was shortly after this that the Despot received news that the Raja himself had joined a army in his own capital. The Despot tried his best to overtake the enemy army BUT at the same time to do so without too great a disadvantage. The Raja was not going to be easy - he seemed to understand how important the use of rivers to guard a flank was.

After much going back and forth, playing cat and mouse, the Despot finally was able to overtake the Raja and his army in Suvarnagram in the Battle of Suvarnagram (the second battle to be held in that County) on the 13th of January, 790 AD.

Spoiler: First Stage of The Battle of Suvarnagram
    Show

This was the largest battle to date of the war and it turned out that the Despot, unlike the Queen, did not like the battlefield. The roar of so many voices talking at once, the cash of shields, the whistle of arrows, the blood and gore that covered everything, the screams of the wounded, and the scent of death - it broke something inside him. Even as he discovered his fear inside himself the enemy's right flank broke and fled.

Spoiler: Second Stage of The Battle of Suvarnagram
    Show

Then the enemy's left flank broke. Instead of giving chase the Despot directed his men to loose their arrows and projectiles onto the enemy’s center. When the center broke the cavalry and elephants charged into the retreating mass. By the 5th of February, 790 AD, the Despot had won the battle even if he had lost his nerve. This battle was not as one-sided as the rest but the Raja was still the one hurt the most by it.

The Despot started the siege of Suvarnagram. While this was going on the Raja marched into Srihatta and started his own siege. But his siege went VERY slowly as he had only 988 warriors with him at the time.

On the 25th of July, 790 AD, the Castle of the County of Suvarnagram fell to the Despot and he captured the family of Shivendranarayan Biswajit. Who was most willing to pay their ransoms which helped fund the war.(2)

Spoiler: Exchange Family For Funds
    Show

Instead of laying siege to the city in the county he marched the men into Srihatta to catch the Raja while he was busy. The Battle of Srihatta started on the 15th of August. Outnumbered and trapped between an army and a castle that still refused to give up the enemy soldiers really had no chance.

The left flank broke first and the Despot, once again, directed his arrow fire onto the enemy’s center. Soon the enemy army broke and once again they fled in mass. In fact the Raja, who had been commanding the right flank, had completely fled the battlefield by the end of the exchange. By the 5th of September, 790 AD, the battle had ended in another victory for the Despot.

Spoiler: The Battle of Srihatta
    Show

Once again while not totally a one-sided victory it still went badly for the Raja and his forces. The Despot returned to lay siege to the town of Survarnagram. Which fell on the 15th of November. At this point he sent out feelers to see if the Raja Shurapala of Shantideva Raj was willing to stop the war and give into the Despot’s demands. The answer, while long winded, was no. The Raja knew he was losing but he refused to give up yet.

Spoiler: The Siege of Kamatapur
    Show

So the Despot marched onto the Raja’s capital of Bikrampur to lay siege to it. The Raja reacted by marching his remaining army through the Kingdom of Pala to siege the Despot’s own county of Kamatapur. The Despot ignored these and continued his attack on the Raja‘s own castle. The Raja soon gave up on the idea of a counter-siege and started to march back south.

The Despot wondered at that. The Raja only had about 577 soldiers left. What did he plan to do with it? He could not attack the Despot’s forces...

Then it was reported by scouts that there was a massive army of over TEN THOUSAND soldiers in the County of Karmanta to the east. The Raja had hired more men and now they were marching straight at the Despot’s own army.

Spoiler: Oh CRAP!
    Show

The Despot thought on it hard and fast. The Raja’s vassals must be screaming by now - they wanted their levies back and they wanted them back now. Also the Raja must be worried about this own family hidden somewhere in the capital. So the Despot did the one thing he knew could win the war. He did now flee. He ordered his men to increase the speed of the siege. He knew they still had time left before the enemy was upon them.

His men rushed with ladders as the elephants attacked the walls. The defenders, knowing help was near, fought like cornered tigers. But slowly they were pushed off the walls and into the courtyard. Then they lost the courtyard and were pushed into the castle’s keep. Then the Despot’s men charged into the keep. The fighting was close, hand-to-hand, as both sides used swords, daggers, shields, and sometimes chairs to bash and stab and kill each other.

Spoiler: The Siege of Bikrampur
    Show

In forcing the siege the Despot’s army lost 621 soldiers to the enemy’s 472 soldiers. But in the end they overwhelmed the defenders of the castle and took it on the 8th of March. The Raja, out of fear for his own family or out of pressure from his vassals, had to give in to the Despot’s demands.

In the end the war cost the Despot about 761 men while it cost the Raja 1,399 men. More of the Raja’s levies are believed to have been killed in the first two sieges but no detailed records could be found on the numbers. The number in fact could be as high as 2,000 men killed.

Many historians say that this just shows how superior the Queen was when it came to warfare. She had only lost 130 men to the old Raja who had lost 620 men. They also pointed out her own combat skills and willingness to command the center of her army.(3)

A few have debated this point, saying that the Despot had done a perfectly good job and that the younger Raja had been more stubborn and more aggressive. Also the younger Raja was never captured. This meant the war had lasted longer.

Many authors also point out that the Despot had done a great job at keeping the war chest filled and the hired soldiers happy. The loot from the enemy counties and captured vassals had helped him greatly.

Now, that we have covered the war, let us in the next chapter go back in time, to just before the war, to show you the events behind the scenes and within the circles of power that went on alongside the conflict.

Author’s End Notes:

1. The Despot only raised his own levies. He assumed that he would win BUT it might take longer then his mom's war. Long wars upset the vassals - they didn't like their soldiers being away for too long.

2. The Despot was also able to loot some gold coins from the Castle. Sieges could sometimes be very profitable.

3. And don’t forget the one elephant killed in the Queen’s war. They say his name was Bruce. He will always be remembered in the public’s mind. In fact, in the 1950s, Walt Disney produced a film called “That Darn Elephant” based on Bruce’s life. It was about a time traveling elephant who fought against the evil Aztec Empire and their plots to take away all the world’s doughnuts. The reviewers hated it. Edit : It looks like one elephant died in the last siege - Oh no Bruce Jr.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-08-01 at 12:53 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

Chapter Thirty-Two : The Kingdom During The Despot’s War

Chess WAS Invented In India

Just because there is a war going on does not mean the Despot could allow his Kingdom to run itself. His Councilors, and his Queen, had been given a list of directions on what to do during certain situations. In other words, they knew when they could make a decision on their own and when to send a message to the Despot asking for his input. It was like a game of chess in which certain pieces could decide their own course of action and certain pieces had to ask permission to move.

But the first event to happen needed no input from the Despot. In fact, this event required little in the way of input from any male. The Queen gave birth to the Despot’s son even while her husband was marching away with the army of hired swords.

Spoiler: A Heir
    Show

The Queen named the baby boy Ioulianos. She instructed that he would learn about duty and diligence from the guards and courtiers of the Royal Court. The Despot felt a certain joy that his son was born right when the war was about to start. He felt his mom would have liked that.

Spoiler: The Prince's Early Education
    Show

The next event, or should we say problem, required the Despot’s input so a messenger was sent to him with a scroll. It seemed that the Baron Birapala (the one who refused to go to the feast and had arrested his own wife) and some of his men had camped in the middle of a field and lost control of a fire they had set. The farmer complained that he had lost his crop which had been reduced to ashes. He wanted compensation.

Spoiler: The Baron And The Farmer
    Show

The Despot agreed with the farmer. Of course, from the Despot’s point of view, he had just lost some of his tax income because this farmer had no product to sell or trade. He sided with the farmer and made the Baron pay 50 gold coins. Many historians believe that the Despot was truly starting to grasp just how important wealth was. The Baron was not pleased

On the 5th of August the Councilor Susthitavarman, his Sakellarious, died. The Despot replaced him with Alexios, a Greek, and, to improve the new Councilor’s mood, the Despot also gave him the Title of Seneschal.

Spoiler: The New Councilor And The New Commander
    Show

It turned out Alexios had been one of the Despot’s Commanders so now there was a empty position which needed to be filled. The Despot selected another Greek, Herakleios, for the position.

On the 18th of November, 789 AD, Shaykhah Santa of Urabo accepted her new husband. But there seemed to be a misunderstanding. Prince Basileios would be NO RULER. He would be her husband and that is it. She had INHERITED her title from her father and it belonged to her. Yes, the children would be of his bloodline but she was still in charge of the realm. The Ex-Prince was not pleased.

Spoiler: A Royal Send Off
    Show

In November, 789 AD, Herakleios and his wife, Yajnavati, gave birth to a baby girl which they named Barbara. The Queen didn’t need to ask her husband for advice on this one. She told the parents that the girl’s early years would focus on math and invention.

Spoiler: New Baby Courtier
    Show

In December the Magistros, Georgios, was able to send the Despot the good news that Doux Cowaske of Para-Lauhitya had a better opinion of his Liege due to his hard work.

Spoiler: The Doux
    Show

Later that month the young Baron had come of age and was a masterful diplomat. Sadly, due to his history with the Despot’s family (the Queen) he disliked the Despot greatly. The Despot didn’t like the Baron much either due to the religious differences between them and the Baron’s zealous nature.

Spoiler: The Young Baron Grows Up
    Show

In December, 789 AD, the news of the death of Shaykhah finally reached the Court. It seems she had died under suspicious circumstances. The Shahzada Basileios of Kamarupa was now nothing but a Commander under the new female ruler of Urabo. And the Despot was okay with that. His young brother still had claims on both the Kingdom and his father’s old Duchy. Having him a powerless Commander, with no land or troops to his name, in a far off court was best for everyone.

In the early part of 790 AD both Maharaja Dharmapala the Unchaste and the Raja Dharmarstha declared wars on their neighbors. The Despot was too busy with his own to take any notice.

Spoiler: So Many Wars...
    Show

For most of the year the Despot received nothing of interest from the Queen, the Councilors, or his spy networks. Which was good because the closer he got to the end of the conflict the more nervous he became that something could go wrong.

Then the Despot got a report from his Councilors. On the 28th of November, 790 AD, Pusyamitra Kaivarta the Lecher died from Great Pox. Which seemed fitting.(1)

Spoiler: The Old Lecher
    Show

That was the last non-military event before the war ended. By the 30th of April, 791 AD, things had settled down and the Despot had a slightly bigger Kingdom, over 500 gold coins still in his coffers, about one thousand six hundred warriors still under his command. He also had a brand new county he would have to work on, a new Sakellarios to break in, a series of military victories under his belt, a younger brother who was now harmless in a strange land far away, and an heir to raise.

Spoiler: Moving On up
    Show

True, he was a coward but he was a powerful coward with a very large guard dog.(2)

Author’s End Notes:

1. Great Pox was the Medieval name for syphilis.

2. The dog’s name was Fluffy.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Chapter Thirty-Three : Peeking At The World

"Which God Are YOU Fighting For?"

It is once again time, my readers, to travel the world. Well, the known world anyway. It is April of the year 791 AD. Let us see how the world has changed since we last looked at it, yes?

We come to the Byzantine Revolt. This is a TOTALLY different one from the other Revolt we saw years ago. Michael "The Bold" had twelve thousand soldiers under his command, five surviving children, and seemed to be a good military commander. He was brave and trusting and humble. Too bad he was lazy and only had one leg.

Spoiler: Byzantine Revolt
    Show

Who is next? We move south to see. The next power on the list is the Arabian Empire. With a new Caliph-Al-Hadi, the Grandson of the old Caliph, who had four wives, five surviving children, and over twelve thousand warriors. He also had more gold than many rulers combined. Too bad he was dull and had the gout, though the scar isn't that bad. He was in only one war which was good for a zealous man with no REAL military skills.

Show

Next we head back north. To the Basileus Christophoros of the Byzantine Empire (the son of the old Emperor) who had one wife, one child, and eight thousand soldiers. He wasn't doing too well. He ws zealous and has even tossed out the Jews. He was also in debt and in two wars, one with the huge Revolt. This Emperor may not be in charge for very long.

Show

The fourth military power on the list was King Karl of West Francia. He does seem to move up and down the list, hum? At just over ten thousand soldiers and two wars, he could be doing better. He was still insane, but also now zealous, and a coward. He had ALSO expelled the Jews from his realm, like the Emperor. At the moment he was in two wars - one with Lombardy and one he got involved in trying to help the King of Bavaria. Alliances were NEVER a good idea.

Show

And look at all those claims. Like a kid who screams "MINE! MINE! MINE!" in a toy store. Oh well, let us leave him behind and go to the next person and realm on the list.

To Andalusia (Spain) we find old Sultan Abd-al-Rahman still in charge. Seemed he is in a war with Asturias, that piece of Spain in the north, and with seven thousand men it is doubtful he would lose. His treasury was nice and full and he still had seven surviving children. In the end he was a tad stressed but not doing too badly. The Old War Horse!

Spoiler: Andalusia (Spain)
    Show

Now, to our next realm, the sixth on our list. You all know him and his love for wars and making babies. Maharaja Dharmapala “The Unchaste” of the Pala Kingdom (also known as the Kingdom of Bengal). He was at war with the Ayudha Kingdom (Kosala) AGAIN and had just under five thousand soldiers. Seemed his old wound healed but he somehow had gotten a new one. He also did not seem to like the Despot very much.

Spoiler: Pala (Bengal)
    Show

Boy, look at all those kids from all those different moms. If he were die before his heir was ready for the throne it could become very messy.

Now, to the next one on the list. Who was right next door. The Maharaja Indrayudha of Ayudha Kingdom. With under three thousand soldiers and only some military training, he wasn’t doing so well. In fact he was somewhat depressed. At least he had only one wife and one child. Funny enough he seemed to have a positive opinion of the Despot.

Spoiler: Ayudha
    Show

And just a tiny bonus for you readers. Would you like to know where the Despot’s younger brother was? Let me show you. We go north of India into what could be called the border between Europe or Asia. There it was - look right there. Basileios was trapped among many tiny realms, most allied with each other by marriage to the Ruler of Khotan (who had many daughters). They all struggled to be the top goldfish in the tiny fish pond WITHOUT drawing their Father-In-Law’s insane fury.

Spoiler: Basileios
    Show

So we have seen a little piece of the world outside of India. In our next chapter we will return to the young Despot and watch as he tries his best to absorb the new territory and control his vassals without losing control of his throne, his titles, or his temper.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-08-03 at 06:15 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

Chapter Thirty-Four : Welcome To The Jungle

Don't Get Lost

On the 13th of April, 791 AD, the records show that the Despot reviewed the state of his newly expanded Kingdom. All his intelligent networks, loyal vassals, and attendants reported that the Kingdom was 100% Buddhist, there were no rumbles of revolt, and most of the people had a high opinion about their Ruler.

Spoiler: State Of the Realm
    Show

The Kingdom was stable. So the Despot ordered some construction projects started. He first ordered that a expansion to the Trade Post of Kundina be made that focused on Silk Trade. He also ordered that the Castle, in order to be called a Castle, needed some kind of defenses.(1)

Spoiler: Public Works
    Show

He was also notified that Anktsas Bharuka, the son of the Queen's old Court Doctor (who was now fifty years old), was still unmarried and still thought of the Despot as his rival. The Despot decided to show this Courtier who was in charge and had him married. The Despot's records show that, afterwards, he felt somewhat sad about what he had done to Gujri. It seems the Despot did not realize he was making her marry a homosexual until after the wedding.(2)

Spoiler: His Rival
    Show

In May he decided to organize a tiger hunt. He had never been on one and his mother had seemed to enjoy them. True, the tiger skin in his quarters always made him uneasy. He had once tried to have it removed but his wife had refused to allow it. It was a valued item passed down from the first Queen. As was her sword and her dagger. How dare he try to have it thrown out?

Spoiler: You Have Been Invited...
    Show

He sent out the invites and only got one refusal. From the Mayor Vishwarupsen. On the 25th of May he and the retainers and soldiers and hunters and attendants and cooks and elephants and entertainers all marched out of the Palace.

Spoiler: Off To Hunt Tigers!
    Show

It turned out he hated it. He hated the swaying of the smelly elephants. He hated the jungle that seemed to keep in the heat and moister. He hated the bugs that got into his wine and the noises that floated about the camp at night. He started to have doubts about the hunt. What if HE was the one to run into the big cat? What if it ATTACKED him? What if it BIT him?

Spoiler: Pala Won Against Ayudha
    Show

During the hunt he received news that the Kingdom of Pala had won the war with the Kingdom of Ayudha.

Also, one of his servants, sensing his bad mood, tried to cheer him up with a humorous observation.

It seemed that the Raja Shurapala of Shantideva Raj had yet to have a male child. Therefore the Heir to the throne was NOT related to him. In fact the young boy, the Thakur of Karmanta, who would become the next Raja was the offspring of the deceased Thakur and Gayatri. Gayatri, the old Thakur’s concubine, who had also been the lover of the, then, Count Pusyanmitra the Lecher. So, while it was likely the boy was a product of the old Thakur and Gayatri there was a chance, how ever tiny, that he was in fact a love child of the Count and Gayatri.(3)

Spoiler: Home Sweet Home
    Show

To his relief they never found a tiger during the hunt. And while in public he pretended to be disappointed his private writings show he planned to never have a tiger hunt again as long as he lived. It is said when he returned to the Palace he took a few hours in his bath trying to scrub the scent of the jungle off his person with cow‘s milk.

In July he was told that Bhogavati, one of the Great King’s lovers, had passed away from cancer. She had given her own husband a boy and the Great King a bastard girl. The poor thing had to live with her mom’s husband who, it seems, treated her well enough.

It reminded the Despot that he could, if he wanted, take on a few concubines. But it also reminded him of the results of having so many children from so many women. His journals suggest he was happy with one wife and with one son.

Author’s End Notes:

1. The Castle of Kamarupanagara, at this time of its existence, still had no WALLS.

2. Normally rivalries were sparked off by something - yet there is no mention of any issues between the two men.

3. Thakur is just the native term for Count. So the boy was the son of a Count. The debate is WHICH Count he was the son of.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Chapter Thirty-Five : P Is For Pregnancy

Another One On The Way

The Despot sat on the throne and looked over his reports of the two future targets of his Kingdom and armies. The choices were pretty clear. Two counties of the Raja were on his border. One was Karmanta a county with a young count, a castle, and not much else.

Spoiler: The County Of Karmanta
    Show

Then there was the County of Bikrampur, owned by the Raja himself, with a Trade Post, a castle and a city. Being on the Silk Road and being the Capital of Raja's realm made it even more of a juicy target.

Spoiler: The County Of Bikrampur
    Show

The Despot sent his Magistros to work on claiming Bikrampur for himself.

Spoiler: A Magistros' Job Is Never Done
    Show

In September he received a report that the Trade Post of Kundina had been finished. At that point he also decided to focus his personal attention onto Kamarupanagara like his mother before him. Also he hated to travel. If the other counties wanted his attention they should have been closer to his Palace.

Spoiler: Trade Post In Kundina
    Show

In October he also got the report that the Castle Fortifications (a new moat) had been finished. He could see that for himself. Once the coffers recovered he might order a wall.

Spoiler: A MOAT! A MOAT!
    Show

At this point he was very pleased. His military were getting into proper shape and his income was now over 160 gold coins yearly. What could go wrong?

Then in November his Queen announced she was going to have another baby.

Spoiler: A BABY! A...Baby?!?!
    Show

One part of him was pleased - he was going to have another child! Another part of him was alarmed - he was going to have another child!

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Dear readers,

I am posting this AAR in two Forums. In the Order of the Stick forums and in the Paradox Interactive.

In the Order of the Stick forums I was asked about what settings I had picked and I replied that, well, I had forgotten the settings. So I looked them up and now plan to list them. It is out of character information and many of you may find it boring. So please feel free to skip this part and ponder having a hot ham and cheese sandwich.

It LOOKS okay but I like my ham and cheese on toasted rye.

For those who stayed, let me list the settings and some reasons for my selection.

The Reaper's Due: Major Epidemics - Historical

This means the Bubonic Plague will appear in 1345 and follow its historical route - the Silk Road. Which is kind of bad for me.

The Reaper's Due: Minor Epidemics - Fewer

I reduced the Minor Epidemics and lowered the chances of larger outbreaks due to my experience in other games with the Reaper's Due. It can REALLY wiped out a HUGE part of your court and I don't want this story to end just because of a illness.

Mongol Invasion - Random

The Mongol Horde can show up anytime 50 years past the starting date. Sucks to be Eastern Europe.

Sunset Invasion: Aztec Invasion - Random

Same. Yeah, the Aztec Empire was not around in 791 AD if I remember right but whatever. Sucks to be Western Europe.

Monks and Mystic: Devil Worshipers - Default
    Devil Worshippers can show up anywhere. Not available in India though. So far.

Secret Religious Cults - Defaults

Secret Cult can be founded.

Turkic Conquerors - Historical

The great Central Asian Turkic conquerors Sabuktigin, Seljuk and Timur will tend to rise in their historical timeframes.

The Reaper's Due: Non-Epidemic Diseases - Default

Characters will develop and contract non-epidemic diseases, such as cancer, at the default rate.

Shattered Retreat - On

Armies will try to retreat into friendly or otherwise safe territory. They CANNOT be engaged and movement speed and morale regain rate will increase for retreating armies. It WILL make it harder for me but it makes sense that defeated armies would flee like heck and to be happy to flee.

Defensive Pacts - On

Small Realms will join together in pacts when they feel threatened by massive Realms. This will make it hard for empires, such as the Byzantine, to gobble up their smaller neighbors. Blobs will be contained by networks of smaller blobs. Sometimes.

Gender Equality - Default

Gender Laws and Status of Women will depend on the culture and religion of the realm.

Supernatural Events - On

Events that can be interpreted as supernatural can happen.

Dynamic De Jure Drift - Default
    De Jure Assimilation Duration - Default
    De Jure Requirements- Default

This has to do with titles and claims. I kept it at default because even I don't know what it does if I change it. Hehe.

Horse Lords: Nomad Stability - Unstable

When a new Khagan takes over his (or her) vassals have a chance to declare independence. This means the succeeding ruler will have JUST cause to reclaim the land. OR, if they are weak, watch their empire fall apart.

Culture Conversion - Default

If enough of my vassals end up Greek they can convert the culture of their holdings, as in a county, to the Greek culture.

Religious Conversion Speed - Default
    Use the 'Proselytize' command and you have a chance to convert the populace of a county.

Raiding - Historical
    A character can raid if the government, culture, or the religion allows it. Like Vikings.

Adventures: Normal
    Claimant and Raiding Adventurers will appear.

Interfaith Marriages - Restricted
    Rulers of UNRELATED religions will never agree to marriage offers.

Matrilineal Marriages: On
    Still restricted by religion and government type. Muslims will not agree to it, for example.

Charlemagne: Custom Realms - On

Creation of custom NON-HISTORICAL Kingdoms and Empires are allowed.

Charlemagne: Story Events - On
    Events surrounding Charlemagne and his brother are enabled.

Vassal Republics - Restricted
    Only a small proportion of Republics are allowed to be among my vassals.

Vassal Theocracies - Restricted

Same.

Invitation to Court - Open

Characters in other courts will accept invites to come work for you if they like you and don't like their current liege.

Diplomatic Range - On
    This means that, even if somebody in SPAIN loves me, I can't invite them to court or marry them to one of my courtiers because they are simply out of range.

Provincial Revolts - Rare

Revolts will be rare. To be honest they are kind of rare in my normal games. But there is a reason I picked rare - see below.

The Old Gods: Provincial Revolt Strength - Default
    Default means that when it does happen the commoners will likely have a huge army. But it will be made up of farmers and such. So defeating it will depend more on your skill as a player and how many warriors you can bring to bear. Sometimes the numbers the Revolts have is silly huge.

Defensive Attrition - On

Invaders into Pagan lands will have harsh attrition if their Military Organization tech is too low.

Pagan Reformation - Allowed
    Pagan Religion can be reformed when controlled enough Holy Sites - they can start a religious organization with a Pope and Holy Wars and such. They lose many of their short-term military advantages but gain other long-term social advantages.

Regencies - On

If you are a kid or incapable or unavailable you will be assigned a Regent.

Assassination - Plots Only
    You use to be able to just pay a certain amount of money. This forces you to get people near the target to help you. The more people you can get the better the chances of the plot working. It also depends on how trusting or paranoid the target is.

Way of Life: AI Seduction
    Way of Life: AI Intrigue

It means the AI characters can also plot to seduce or kill other people.

Way of Life: Dueling
    You can duel rivals within certain restrictions.

Release Prisoners After Punishment - On
    Prisoners are released after receiving their punishment. Can't torture the same person again and again.

Titles Named After Dynasties - On

Many cultures name their titles after the ruling dynasty. That is why the map has Abbasids on it.

Cultural Title Names - On
    Names of titles may change depending on the ruling culture (and confuse the poor player).

Demesne Size - Default
    Vassal Limit - Default

Limits the amount of holdings and vassals you can control - forcing you to give out land and titles.

Grant Independence - Restricted
    Says what it is - I could grant a vassal independence but only within certain restrictions.

Well, hope that did not bore you. And I hope it did not scare off people thinking about playing the game. Please remember, you don't have to have all the DLCs (as I do) and you can always just turn some things off - such as the Sunset Invasion. But I want this game to be slightly random with a alternate history feel.

But not TOO hard otherwise it will die a young death. Thanks for reading!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Chapter Thirty-Six : Next Queen

No Baby! NO!

The Despot sat in his private quarters, with his head in his hands, staring at the papers on his desk. He knew that waiting for a claim could take years and that he could not just sit there the entire time doing nothing. He had a Kingdom to prepare for the next war, vassals to tame, and a son (or maybe a upcoming daughter) to train to be a future ruler.

First there was the mess that was the Kingdom of Pala. The Great King didn't have a high opinion of the Despot and enjoyed fighting as much as the dear departed Queen. No, even more so. Hopefully he was killed by somebody within his own court before he started to think about warring on the Kingdom of Kamarupa.

He then glanced at the reports on Doux Cowaske of Para-Lauhitya. That man was going to be a problem. Sadly, he seemed like a good vassal and a fine man. But he wanted a position on the Council and the Depot did not know if that would be enough to make the Doux happy. Would it be enough or would getting into the Council be the first move of a power-hungry noble who just wanted more power. The Despot really could not take the chance. His private writings suggested he was already upset about some of his earlier choices.

Then there was Baron Salasthamba of Numalogarh. Barons really were not much to worry about but it annoyed the Despot no end that this young man hated him, mostly, because of the things the Queen had done to the old Baron. Why was the Despot being blamed for that?!?!

The Despot searched through his papers and picked up the image of his adult brother. His ugly brother who would likely die alone and useless off in a strange land. There was always a chance the Ex-Prince would marry and produce children. And those children could come back to haunt the Kingdom as invaders with claims to the throne.

Which brought him back to his own, soon to be, two children. He decided that, unlike his mother, to keep them both in the court. Best to keep a close eye on them, even in adulthood, then to marry one off.

He sighed and started to clean off his desk. He placed the papers and scrolls and letters back into their pigeonholes. He walked over the tiger skin rug, making sure that nobody saw him kick the head, and called for his bath to be ready. A bath always helped to clam him down. And sometimes it helped him think.

In fact he did have a few ideas after he stepped out of the bath and had his servants dry him off.

First he noticed that Eustratios the Goldsmith, his Spy Master, was now single again as his wife had died. So of course he invited a young lowborn woman, a Buddhist of course, from the Doux's court by the name of Kolite.

Spoiler: New Commander Loukas
    Show

While waiting for her to arrive he was notified of the fact that the Protostrator had found a man if great military talent. So of course the Despot replaced one of his weak Commanders with this NEW Commander. Loukas was Greek, Buddhist, and unmarried, so of course the Despot invited another woman to join his court by the name of Eluvattur (a Court Chaplain from Puri). He was a lusty Commander so hopefully he would produce many children.

Spoiler: More Greek Weddings
    Show

By the time they were married Kolite arrived and was able to marry the Goldsmith. After their wedding the Despot also gave Eustratios a wedding present by handing him the Minor Title of Cupbearer.

The Despot then tried to decide what to do with Alexios. The man already had a Major Position within the Council (Sakellarios) AND a Minor Title (Seneschal). And he still disliked the young liege. Giving him even more titles would be putting one's thumb in a leaking dike. It would work for a bit but not for long. No, the Despot needed to replace the man sooner or later.

Spoiler: New Town Market
    Show

Looking over his new county he decided that Suvarnagram's city needed a Town Market. He ordered the project started in February.

Spoiler: More Shrines?
    Show

In April he was told that the peasants in Kamarupanagara had wasted too much time on the road traveling to shrines and not enough in the fields. Funny enough he was SURE he had heard something like this before, maybe when his mom had been Queen, but he approved of the building of local shrines anyway. Sounded good.

Spoiler: County Of Haruppeswara
    Show

That same day his accountants reported that the County of Haruppeswara was doing very well - much to the happiness of the tax farmers!

Spoiler: War For Candradvipa
    Show

In the middle of April a war flared up between the Great King and the Raja over Candradvipa. The Despot was pleased. The weaker the Raja become the better for the Despot. The fact that the Silk Road passed through the County made it such a nice target for the Kingdom of Pala. So it was now over four thousand Pala Buddhist soldiers against seven hundred plus Hindu warriors of the Shantideva Raj.

While watching the war unfold outside his borders the Despot got a report from his Protostrator that Commander Purandelapala had learned much about organizing his troops and supplies and moving large armies of men swiftly.

Spoiler: Commander Purandelapala
    Show

Around this time rumors spread from Pala of another man, the Mayor of Shahdol, being burnt at the stake.

On the 27th of June the Queen gave birth to a little baby girl, which she named Arminestra. The Despot and the Queen had a little debate about her future.

Spoiler: Birth Of A New Queen
    Show

The Queen, of course, assumed the little Arminestra would become the next Ruler. That WAS the law of the land set down by the first Queen of the Kingdom.

The Despot felt that might be unfair. After all the son had come first, he was training to be the next Ruler, and as a Buddhist Ruler he DID have the right to select from his offspring his new Heir.

We don't know what was said, there are no records, but in the end the Despot declared his daughter the new Heir right after deciding her first years of education would focus on money and bookkeeping. The son seemed okay with this but he was only three years old at the time. It is unlikely he knew what was going on around him.

Spoiler: New Heir
    Show

The Queen had developed a rash after the delivery and, while she was getting treated for it, is said the Despot was unwilling to go near her. Seemed the rash was a turn-off for him.

There was still work to do, of course, but the Despot was feeling good about things. He had two children, a guard dog, a good amount of money in his purse, a Council that was mostly loyal and mostly effective, a decent army, and a not much to worry about. True, some of his vassals were too powerful but at least those were some of the same vassals who liked him. And his wife had a itchy rash but what could you do?

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Chapter Thirty-Seven : Party!

Not Sure There Is Enough Food

When we next join our Despot he had just been notified on the 4th of July, 792 AD, that Nihal Nagar, a woman he did not know, was planning to kill his Courtier Gujri, another woman he did not know (even though she was married to one of the Greeks). The first woman he did not know refused to stop her plot so he asked the two backers, the Bhikkhi Isaias of Hajo and, one of his courtiers, Dionysios, to stop helping the first woman kill the other woman. They both agreed to withdraw their support to kill the other woman he did not know.

Spoiler: Who Is Trying To Murder Who?
    Show

Records in fact show that both men were HAPPY to have been caught and relieved at being asked to pull out of the scheme.

Later that same month the Despot Andronikos realized he needed to do something to increase his relations with his vassals and courtiers. And what better way to make somebody like you then to become a close drinking buddy of theirs?

Spoiler: The NEW and IMPROVED Despot!
    Show

So he sent out a bunch of invites and was soon receiving answers. Most of the people agreed to come, including the his 69 year old Court Physician and Upadhyaya, Vasumati, and his Doux of Para-Lauhitya. Others, like the Queen and his Magistros, Georgios, refused. In fact the reply from Georgios Matzaris was pretty insulting calling the Despot a "decadent wretch".

Spoiler: A New Council Member
    Show

Then Georgios died on the 13th of August, 792 AD, and all evidence shows his death was a natural one. He was 67 years old and it could be his refusal of the party invite was just him feeling his age. Or maybe he was grumpy. The Despot filled this, now, empty position with Commander Loukas. The man was not as skilled as the old Magistros but he was the most loyal out of those available. He was sent to Bikrampur to continue to work on the claim (though he would be given time off for the party).

The Despot also needed a new Designated Regent and he gave his title to the Queen. He was worried that she may be upset with him or unhappy with him. After all, she had refused to come to her own husband's party. But it wasn't that. You see, after the rash she had developed a fever. And after the fever she had developed headaches. In other words she was feeling too ill to go to a party.

Spoiler: A Cheating Wife?
    Show

In fact on September it was finally revealed that she may have had syphilis. In other words the rash, fever, and headaches were a sign of a greater illness. As this is a sexually transmitted disease many authors are surprised by the Despot's next move. He felt sorry for her and tried to help take care of her. Most husbands would have broken off the marriage, put her in the dungeon, or more. But he showed a inner kindness that many of that time period would not have had towards a cheating wife.(1)

In October, while the Despot was overseeing the preparations for the feast a Greek showed up in the Court. He was a lowborn, a Orthodox, who said he had been falsely accused of apostasy. As Orthodox was no longer accepted within Greece there was really no "falsely" to it. He WAS a apostate.(2)

Spoiler: A Orthodox Wedding?
    Show

The Despot got him married to Amritakala (a woman who may, or may not, have been possessed by the devil or some demon) and sent him to join the other Freeloaders of the court.

Spoiler: Another Bouncing Baby Buddhist!
    Show

In November the Goldsmith and his young wife gave birth to a Greek Buddhist baby. The girl named Nonna was given to the her father to teach her about Greek culture and the Buddhist faith. Later that month the guests for the feast started to arrive!

Spoiler: Drunk Friends
    Show

By the December he and one of his courtiers, Hamide, were becoming so close that they would end up friends by the end of the party. Late in December the party finally came to an end and everybody had to return back to real life. One of the party goers who had crashed the party, a man with a red nose and a belly that jiggled like a bowl full of Payasam when he laughed, said he had deliveries to make that night to all the good boys and girls.(3)

Spoiler: You Don't Have To Go home But You Can't Stay Here
    Show

By the new year, 793 AD, the Despot had a new friend and over 500 gold coins in his coffers. On the other hand, his wife had Great Pox and, while she was getting the best of care , there was a good chance she would die sooner or later. Sad because she was starting to warm up to her husband.

Spoiler: Loving Couple?!?!
    Show

At least he still had his guard dog.

Author’s End Notes:

1. No author or historian has found any clues to who she had cheated with or who gave her the Great Pox.

2. Apostate is a person who renounces a religious or political belief. A defector or traitor whose beliefs have changed. From Greek apostasia which means "rebellion" or "desertion". This suggests you had to first HOLD the belief and then changed you mind.

3. Payasam is a rice and milk pudding with cashews and raisins.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Chapter Thirty-Eight : The End Of The Plot, A New Guru, And Dragon Ships

Now THAT'S A Viking Boat!

We start this chapter on the 2nd of January, 793 AD, as the Despot decided it was time to stop backing the plot to kill the Doux Cowaske of Para-Lauhitya. So far he had turned out to be a pretty good vassal, loyal and hard working, and replacing him with his young son would do nothing to improve things.

Spoiler: Off My Pretties! Ride! Ride!
    Show

In a better mood afterwards he was more willing to pay the 50 gold coins in a search for a new Guru. The Guru, a Greek Buddhist by the name of Belisarios, arrived in the 3rd of February. But he was unmarried! Of course the Despot had to correct that.

Spoiler: Guru Belisarios
    Show

He was able to find a Court Chaplain who hated her liege and invited her over to his court. When she arrived on the 19th of February the religious couple were married. It seems she had even allowed her hair to grow back, thick and long, for her new husband.

Spoiler: Religious Couple
    Show

The war between the Great King and the Raja was about to end. The Despot knew this because there was massive army sitting in the Raja's capital county. The County of Candradvipa was already completely occupied - the Raja was just being stubborn. The Despot wondered why the Raja didn't hire a massive army of hired men to counter the Great King's own army.

Spoiler: Siege Of The Raja's Capital
    Show

At this point the Despot was notified that his most northern county, Kundina, was still having issues with caravan raiders.

In June the war finally ended with the victory and the County of Candradvipa going to the Great King Dharmpala "The Unchaste".

Spoiler: War Over Candradvipa Over
    Show

The Despot tired to suggest the Doux's son marry his daughter in a matrilineal marriage. The Doux refused. He was willing to marry into the Royal Family but not with his only son and heir. The Doux wanted to make sure the titles stayed within HIS family.(1)

In early June the Despot called for a report on both the Raja Shurapala and the Maharaja Dharmapala. By the 18th he was bent over scrolls of information.

Spoiler: Post-War Reviews
    Show

In the end the reports were showing him one thing. The Great King may have had family issues but his Kingdom was more powerful than before. While the Raja may as well be a real "Duke" for all the power he had. True, his family was more loyal and his wife was his Master of Spies, BUT he had three counties left to his name. Also his levies were less then two hundred warriors and he had no skills to work with. The Maharaja was a hardened military leader who had over five thousand warriors!(2)

In August he realized that two of the young Courtiers of the court were not being educated by GREEK teachers and he reassigned them both to Greeks.(3)

Spoiler: Wards Reassigned
    Show

We end the chapter with the Despot enjoying a meal in his private quarters. He was eating some roasted pork sausages, flatbread, and some sweetened wine when there was a knock on the door.

"Open," he said as he wiped his mouth and tossed a piece of sausage to the guard dog.

A soldier marched in and saluted. "My Lord," he said, panting, "I have come as fast as I could. I bring a message from a boat that has come up the river. It brings new from the west. VIKINGS!"

Spoiler: VIKINGS!
    Show

The Despot tilted his head and said, "What?"

"Vikings, my Lord," said the soldier. "Men of the north countries who, due to over population and other factors, have taken to the sea to loot and trade and colonize other lands. They sail in long boats with dragon heads at the bow and worship the old gods!"

"And?" commented the Despot, picking at his teeth.

"Well," said the soldier. "I felt it was important to pass on right away. They are kind of a big thing in the west. You know, being Pagans and warriors and looting and kidnapping and burning and you know...stuff..."

"Any chance they will come here?" asked the Despot, refilling his cup.

"Well, not likely...well, not at all really."

"Get out," commanded the Despot.

As the soldier left the Despot sipped his wine and thought about what he had just been told.

"Vikings," he said to his dog. "What a silly name."

Author’s End Notes:

1. The Despot's scheme was so transparent most authors are surprised the Doux wasn't offended in some way.

2. The Raja's total yearly income as of the 2nd of July, 793 AD, was 20.69 gold coins.

3. Likely the two girls were the wards of Georgios before he died. With his death the two girls were reassigned back to being wards of their mother. Nobody bothered to notify the Despot who found out later on his own.

OOC: That first photo is, in fact, a picture I took at the Norstead Viking Village, which is a reconstruction of a Viking age village pretty much right next to L'Anse aux Meadows (where the Vikings did settle for some time), in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The ship is a 54 foot replica of a Viking knarr which sailed from Greenland to L'Anse aux Meadows in 1998 with a crew of nine men. A knarr is a type of Norse merchant ship. It is a wonderful ship and they learned a lot about shipbuilding of the time period when making it. It was still sweating salt water from the hull when I visited.

Spoiler: A Viking Knarr
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Chapter Thirty-Nine : A Host That Isn't Invading

Who ARE You?

We open this chapter with the Despot standing on one of the balconies of his Palace. It was known as a castle but the problem was, outside of the moat, it wasn't a very good castle.

"We need more then a moat," said the Despot to his attendants. "A Castle isn't very impressive without something more. I mean, look at the moat. People swim and fish in it. If my eyes are correct there are families using it to do the wash. That may slow down an army but I doubt it will stop them. I think it is time to start on the walls."

So in September the Despot finally paid for the men, skilled and unskilled, and the machinery and stone to make a proper wall.

Spoiler: Building Proper Walls
    Show

On the 14th of October one of his Greek Freeloading Christians gave birth to a sickly baby boy named Pamphilios. The Despot decided the boy would start learning about service to others and humility.(1)

Spoiler: A Humble Education
    Show

Later that year, a major event rocked the Despot’s world, when on the 7th of December he received news of the death of the Court Chaplain Vasumati. The old woman who had come to his party and one of his favorite Councilors. She had died a natural death at the age of 70 and the Despot was forced to find a replacement for the position of Court Chaplain AND Court Physician. So he picked the Guru Belisarios to be both the new Physician and new Chaplain (Upadhyaya).

Spoiler: New Physician
    Show

The NEW Chaplain was then sent to Kamarupanagara to study religion among the populace to see if there was room for improvement. Belisarios was VERY pleased with his new titles.

Spoiler: Sending The New Upadhyaya To Do Research
    Show

That same month the Despot found out that people were joining Nihal’s plot to kill Guigri. He, again, asked both backers to back out and they agreed. But by that time he had other things to worry about.

Spoiler: STOP Backing Her Plot!
    Show

Let us open this last section of the chapter in the Despot’s private quarters. He is hiding under the bed.

Outside, beyond the moat (and the unfinished wall) is a army of over a thousand soldiers marching, drilling, packing, and doing what a army does before it goes to war.

“My Lord,” said his Protostrator, “there really isn’t anything to worry about-”

He was cut off by the Despot’s shout from under the bed.

“Nothing to worry about?!?! There is a unknown army outside my tiny moat! We’re doomed! A surprise attack! Must be my brother. Yes, some traitor helped him assemble an army right in my capital. Guards! Guards! Protect me!”

“It isn’t you brother,” said Pelagios with a sigh. “It is a host under Tarma Bharuka.”

“No, not ....” The Despot peeked from under the bed and said, “Who now?”

Taram Bharuka, sadly, was almost invisible in the history books up to this point. She was the wife of Makarios Tarmid the once young Physician and Upadhyaya of the first Queen. She had given birth to two sons, the oldest we know as Anktsas Bharuka (the Despot’s rival) and the youngest son named Suddhodane Bharuka. Both courtiers in the Despot’s Royal Court.

Spoiler: Taram Bharuka
    Show

She was assembling a army, a Host, right outside the Palace. It seemed she had a claim over a small realm to the north and had finally, after years of plotting and working, decided to go take it. The Realm was Bharuka - notice the name? It was one of those tiny nations near Urabo that was trapped in a never ending struggle to become the biggest fish in their tiny little pond.

Spoiler: Bharuka
    Show

As the Despot crawled from under his bed, listening to Pelagios, he asked, “Will she be taking her sons?”

“No,” said Pelagios, “Only her husband as a Commander in her army.”

“Darn,” replied the Depot as he dusted him pajamas off. “Well, send her some flowers and a good luck card. Oh, and ask her while she is in that area to say hello to my brother.”

As the Protostrator left the room the Despot walked over to his windows to peek out.

“If she wins I wonder if she will call for her sons to join her?” he pondered aloud.

He looked down at his dog and gave it a pat on the head. “Well, let us hope she wins, yes?”

Author’s End Notes:

1. The parents were Porphyrios and Amritakala. It seems that the Despot was having a hard time telling the Christians apart. In fact he is recorded as saying “All Christians looked the same to me.”

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

I hope she wins, but hosts normally do not do well with lots of overland travel. And unless the realm she is attacking is incredibly undeveloped, 1800 troops is going to be hard pressed to seige down all the holdings in a province. Is she attacking a tribal or feudal realm?

Also, why did you build fortifications before walls? Walls give almost as much fort level, and provide extra income and a larger levy to boot.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I hope she wins, but hosts normally do not do well with lots of overland travel. And unless the realm she is attacking is incredibly undeveloped, 1800 troops is going to be hard pressed to seige down all the holdings in a province. Is she attacking a tribal or feudal realm?

Also, why did you build fortifications before walls? Walls give almost as much fort level, and provide extra income and a larger levy to boot.
    From what I can tell, she is attacking a one-county Feudal Realm. And I am not sure how many allies her brother can call to arms when she attacks him.

I built the moat first because it was cheaper. I don't want to spend too much money all at once between all the projects and events.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Chapter Forty : A Plotter Plotting Plots!

Stop Plotting!

We open this chapter on the 6th of February. The Despot was watching the workers as they slowly shifted stone blocks into place. He was watching this from one of his balconies. As he was enjoying the view a attendant brought him the news that Tarma's Host was now starving.

"Oh my," he said as he examined the report. "They have been without supplies for four days? She isn't very good at this, is she?"

You see, earlier that month the Host had started their march. Directly south. They had traveled through Goalpara and now were in the jungles of Suvarngram. The county was not as built up as the others. There was only so many men that could be fed or equipped by the local farmers and hunters. Even as she marched them south there were deaths within the ranks.

"At this rate," said the Despot as he returned the piece of paper back to the attendant, "She will have no army to take the realm away from her brother."

It is said that the Despot decided it was time for another feast then and there. Maybe to celebrate the Host leaving? Who knows. He invited as many people as he could. Well, out of those he knew liked him and might come. Most, like the NEW Upadhyaya and his Sakellarios, were happy to come to the party. Sadly, his Magistro was busy working on that claim and could not join in the merrymaking. It took time to fabricate a claim.

Of course, even as the servants and attendants prepared for the feast court life continued. For example the Despot was told that Commander Salambha was doing very well under the Protostrator's guidance.

Spoiler: Commander Salambha
    Show

But he received shocking news in April. Well, not TOO shocking. It seemed the demon possessed Amritakal was planning on killing Porpyrios. Her husband. And as the Ruler of the Realm he was well within his rights to arrest her if he so wished to.

The Despot made sure the Protostrator was standing by in case of any issues with the arrest. There was a huge issue with the arrest as the woman ESCAPED!

Spoiler: NOT So Great Escape!
    Show

"HOW DID SHE GET AWAY?" screamed the Despot.

His Protostrator, Bhikkhu Pelagios of Madan Kamdev, bowed before the enraged ruler, "Let me explain-"

He was cut off as the Despot continued.

"FIRST you let BANDITS raid and loot our caravans up north! And NOW you can't stop a crazy woman from escaping from my ROYAL COURT in my PALACE in the CAPITAL of my KINGDOM! WHY ARE YOU MY PROTOSTRAOT AGAIN?"

It is said that the yelling went on like that for a couple of hours. The Protostrator left the throne room embarrassed but, lucky for him, still with his positions.

The Despot was in a bad mood for next few days and tried to cheer himself up with busy work. For example he demanded one of his Commanders, Herakleios, drop the Christian God-fearing nonsense and became a proper Buddha-loving Buddhist. The Commander was happy to do so. This pleased the Despot greatly. You see, this was his first convert, and it made him somewhat proud. Even his mother had failed to convert any of the Greek Freeloaders!

Spoiler: A NEW Adult Buddhist
    Show

Yet his mood was tested when on the 27th of May it was shown that Amritakala was still plotting to kill her husband and now she had a HELPER within the court backing her plot. Eluvattur! One of the "mail-order" brides he had invited to marry one of the Greeks. Of course he asked her to stop and she did so in June.

Spoiler: Eluvattur Reply
    Show

While this was happening the guests started to arrive and the feast officially started.

Spoiler: Let's Get this Party STARTED!
    Show

During the feast, while exchanging rumors over a few cups of wine with Pelagios, the Despot was told about a weaponsmith residing in Goalpara. The man even suggested the liege invite her to work for the Despot.(1)

Spoiler: A Weaponsmith You Say?
    Show

The thoughts of having custom made weapons, even while a coward, did seem to tickle the Despot's fancy and he agreed.

Thekla the Weaponsmith, and her husband, arrived in his court on the 5th of June. A few days later, on the 8th of June, Dedadevi, the well-known Queen Mother of the Kingdom of Pala, the mother of the Great King, died a natural death at 64 years of age. It was as if a mountain or a lake had suddenly disappeared.

Spoiler: A Female Weaponsmith And A Dead Queen Mother
    Show

After settling down the Weaponsmith presented herself to the Despot and asked what he wanted her to make for him. He decided on a sword as the other weapons seemed too crude for a true Ruler. She then explained what kind of swords she could make for him. After some thought on the matter he decided he wanted a cheap one.

Spoiler: Shopping For A Sword
    Show

It was very unlikely he would be using it in battle. So it could be cheap and just look pretty on his belt when he took it out onto the battlefields.

Spoiler: Run Away!
    Show

The Despot then returned to the party in a much better mood. But there was a small event recorded that ruined his mood. The Baroness, maybe drunk, went after the Despot in a rage. The Despot fled the dining halls to hide under his bed.

Spoiler: Memories...
    Show

Therefore the Despot had mixed feelings about the party when it ended in late June. He had enjoyed the drinking, the eating, and the general merriment. But not the embarrassment of being found under his bed again by the servants.

In August, on the 12th, the Upadhyaya and the man's wife, had a baby girl. The Despot was very pleased as she was the second natural born "native" Greek Buddhists.(2)

Spoiler: Another Greek Buddhist Is Born!
    Show

"She must learn to be strong! She will be a fighter!" the Depot proclaimed to the parents.

In August he was notified that, once again, people were trying to help Amritakala kill her husband. Three people in fact. A courtier, the Baroness, and his friend Hamide. He demanded they stop. Well, the histories show he sent a polite letter to the Baroness. They all agreed in time.

Spoiler: More Backers Back Down
    Show

Around this time, on the 8th of September, the Castle walls of his Palace were finally completed. He decided to get his Protostrator back to training his army. Though the Despot decided to keep an eye out for a replacement. He was a patient man but he was starting to feel that Pelagios, while a good trainer, may not be up to the other tasks required of a Protostrator. First the man had been beat up by the bandits and then he had allowed the plotter to escape.

Then in November the Despot was told that, ONCE AGAIN, people were backing up Amritakala's murderous plot! This time the backers were the woman's own daughter (who still lived in the Palace), the wife of Commander Herakleios, and his OWN wife.

History states that the Despot face palmed himself for the first time.

Spoiler: Even More Backers Back Down
    Show

He, of course, demanded all three women stop backing the plot and they agreed.

In November the Despot received a message from his Protostrator that Commander Herakleios had become a wonderful organizer.

Spoiler: Commander Herakleios
    Show

We close this chapter in December, with the Despot reading and rereading the reports on his neighbor, the Raja of Shantideva Raj. It seems the Raja now had a son, who had been born in March of that year, and with this boy the Raja now had a proper heir. Before the birth of the boy there was a slim chance that the Royal Bloodline would have ended with the young Raja's daughter - who would not have been able to inherit the throne.

Spoiler: Future Problem Or Future Vassal?
    Show

As the Despot went over the reports he reached down to stroke the guard dog's neck.

"I hope the boy is well educated," the Despot murmured to the dog. "He will make a better vassal if he has a education, right doggy?"

Author’s End Notes:

1. Funny enough all records show that the Protostrator had NOT been invited to the feast.

2. The first was Nonna, born to the Goldsmith and his wife.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Chapter Forty-One : It's A Small World

Wow - That Looks Wrong

Welcome back readers! Welcome to Chapter Forty-One in which we will travel again, to the outside world, to see which are the most powerful nations of the known world. And maybe something special at the end to help tie up loose ends. So for our Most Powerful List as of January 2nd, in the year 795 AD!

The first realm on the top of the list of most powerful nations WAS the Arabian Empire ruled by Caliph Al-Hadi "The Holy". With eleven thousand warriors, almost 800 gold coins, forty-four vassals and four wives he seems to be doing very well. But for the wound and the fact that he was still dull. Also he seemed to be at war but don’t worry. With that many soldiers I doubt very much he will lose.

Show

Onto our next realm on the list. And that was the Byzantine Empire. But wait, who IS that? Oh, it looked like Basileus Niketas "The Usurper" overthrew his brother Christophoros. And Prince Christophoros was very, VERY, bitter. But I did say he would likely not hold the Imperial Crown for long, didn‘t I?

Show

The Emperor seemed to be honest and skilled in combat. He was brawny and enjoyed hunting to boot. With over ten thousand soldiers he may survive till we visit again.

The next realm on our list was in Western Europe. Welcome to West Francia ruled by King Charles. Who WAS King Karl the last time we were here. Maybe he felt a change of name was needed?

Show

Something had happened for he was no longer insane. Funny enough he was still fighting the same TWO enemies just in two DIFFERENT wars. Still a horrible ruler but not a bad military leader with just under seven thousand men to command in battle.

Now we fly to Spain and find that there was a Revolt going on. Jalid "The Unchaste" of Umayyad Revolt was locked in a war with Sultan Husam of Umayyad Sultanate (Andalusia). I guess Sultan "The Terrible" had died. Sadly for this Revolt their leader was not skilled enough, or well liked enough, to get the full eight thousand troops he needed. Also, if you look closely at the numbers you will realize his future is going to be full of problems.

Spoiler: Umayyad Revolt (Spain)
    Show

Yes, you saw that, didn’t you? EVEN if he won this war his vassals would GREATLY outnumber his own men. And he was also a lusty, angry, slothful leader who had little to no skills for leadership. I don't think we will be seeing him again.

The fifth Realm on our list was Lombardy in Italy. King Unichis, was a dull, homosexual slacker who was at war with West Francia. With less than four thousand soldiers I am not sure how long this ruler will last. He had no skills and even his wife was fooling around on him (not that you could blame her).

Spoiler: Lombardy
    Show

Let us leave Italy and return to India. You know who we will be visiting. That's right!

Spoiler: Pala (Bengal)
    Show

Maharaja Dharmapala "The Unchaste" of Pala! With over five thousand soldiers, lots of military skills and traits, and tons of experience in leadership he would look like a perfect ruler. But for all the lovers, burning people at the stake, and having a Kingdom (and family) full of people who hated him. Sad really. He started out so well.

The last on our list was a new member. Khorasan. Or the Taid Emirate ruled by the Emir Abdallah. With four thousand soldiers, three wives, a LOT of children, and a son who was both his heir AND his best friend the 46 year old leader seemed to be doing well. He was a just man, had a cool scar, and was very open to other religions. His skills and traits were not that bad. He was knowledgeable about siege warfare and he enjoyed the life of a hunter.

Spoiler: Khorasan (Taid Emirate)
    Show

And those are the seven major military players in the known world as of the start of 795 AD. But I promised to tie up some loose ends, did I not? And so I will.

Marzoban Ksmate of Bharuka was a Buddhist ruler in charge of the one-county realm that was to be the target of his sister’s Host. As you can see he was a zealous and cruel ruler who was also charitable and chaste. Sadly for him he only had seven hundred soldiers.

Spoiler: Bharuka
    Show

You see, Tarma’s Host was already half-way to Bharuka. Only took about two years. Even with her skills, her money, and her one thousand seven hundred men there was STILL a chance, a SMALL chance, her brother could hold out. But I would not bet your life on it.

Spoiler: Tarma's Host
    Show

And let us visit the tiny realm of Urabo. Ruled by Shaykhah Ampratasene, a lovely young 19 year old woman, who seemed to have the training of a scholar as most of her skills were pretty worthless. She was also craven, stressed and unmarried. Oh well, I wonder who will replace her?

Spoiler: Urabo
    Show

And the Ex-Prince? Well, he was not doing too well.

Spoiler: The Despot's Brother
    Show

Thank you readers for joining me in this tiny journey. As I put out my lamp, clean my fingers, and carefully close the book I wish you well and hope you will join me in the next chapter when we return back to the Despot’s court.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

Chapter Forty-Two : Raiders And Royal Plots

Et tu, Brother?

We open this chapter on the 2nd of January, in the year of 795 AD, with the Despot sitting on his throne, thinking about his rule. At the age of 23 he had ruled the realm for about nine years. Of course, the first two years he has been under the thumb of a regent but they still counted. He had a thousand eight hundred soldiers under his command and more then 500 gold coins in the coffers. Two children, a somewhat stable nation, and a victory under his belt. Not bad for a coward.

His personal papers suggest he was waiting for something wrong to happen. For the other shoe to drop. He was not too far off. A shoe would drop but not in any way he could foresee. What was that shoe? Read and you may find out.

The first news of the year was his Protostrator reporting to him that Commander Loukas, the Despot's Magistros, was becoming a unpredictable trickster on the battlefield. A wonderful skill for a Commander to have.

Spoiler: A Trickster
    Show

In February he was alerted to the fact that Himadrija, daughter of Amritakala, was again backing her mother to kill her father Porhyrios. Well, as she was a bastard he wasn't really her father, but you get the point. The Despot asked, once again, for her to stop backing the plot.

Spoiler: More Military Skills And A Backer Backs Out (Again)
    Show

Before she replied he got another report from his Protostrator. Seems that Commander Isaias was now skilled with the use of heavy infantry on the battlefield. As most armies in India was made mostly of heavy infantry that was a good skill for ANY Commander to have.

Spoiler: Another Host
    Show

In April rumors started to drift out of the Kingdom of Pala. It seems a Host was raiding the Great King's lands. The Host was commanded by a Uyghur from the steppes of Eurasia by the name of Kuntuvdi. With just over a thousand soldiers the weak, lusty, yet honest man was trying to carve out a name for himself. It seems he had finished raiding the Ayudha Kingdom and had just marched next door to loot Pala.

Spoiler: Like Son, Like Father
    Show

The Raider was the son of Kozel "The Hunter" of the Mongolian Revolt. That's right. The man who had the balls to raid and loot some of India's most powerful Realms was the son of a man who had the balls to start a Civil War within the Mongolian Empire!

To celebrate the misfortune of the Great King's realms being attacked by a Mongol Warlord the Despot decided to have another feast! He invited as many people as he thought would come. This time his Queen agreed to come, as did the Doux, and so did his Protostrator Pelagios. Sadly the Mayor of Pragyotisapura stated he could not come and the Baroness also said she could not come. Likely for the best knowing how he would have been nervous around her.

Spoiler: To Crush A Host
    Show

While the feast was being prepared reports came from across the border. It seems the Great King was taking the raiding Warlord seriously.(1)

Spoiler: Improving On A Trade Post
    Show

In July the Despot was alerted to the fact that the Silk Road Trade Post in Kamarupanagara could be expanded on. The Despot, knowing it would be years before he could declare another war, decided it was worth the investment of 192 gold coins.

Spoiler: A New Drinking Buddy
    Show

In August the guests arrived, the food was brought to the dining halls and the feast started. And early on in the fest he and the young Yajnavati became close friends.

Spoiler: The Feast Comes To An End
    Show

But all good times must come to and end. Yet the feast had made the Despot want MORE. But not more food or drink. He wanted to be more social. He found he liked people. You know, when they were not trying to beat him up.

Then in September the shoe dropped. And dropped hard right on his head. Basileios Dysnomia, the Steward of Urabo, was seeking to kill Princess Arminestra of Kamarupa. The Despot's brother was trying to kill the future Queen of the Kingdom of Kamarupa.

Within the private quarters of the Despot there was a great debate about what to do. Should the young girl be hidden? It would make her harder to kill but it would also destroy her childhood and affect her. Her honor and personality would suffer in unknown ways. The Despot refused this idea. He doubted his brother would find backers in the court.

Spoiler: Trying To Counter A Plot
    Show

Yet his brother might find a way. However slim a chance there was a chance his brother's plot might work. The Despot sent feelers to see if his brother would agree to stop the murderous plot. The answer was a flat out no.

Spoiler: Helping A Friend
    Show

Even while he wrestled with his problem his friend Hamide came to him with a problem of her own. It seemed she was being bothered by a mad man who threatened her with blackmail. Of course the Despot agreed to try to help her with the mad man. Then he returned to his own problem - his brother.

Spoiler: Fight Fire With Fire
    Show

In the end the Despot knew his brother had to be stopped. And there was only one way to do it. He sent word to the court of Urabo. He asked if anybody was willing to join HIS plot to kill the Steward.

Spoiler: Twins
    Show

Even as he waited for replies Commander Lukas and his wife Eluvattur had twins, a baby girl named Theodosia and a baby boy named Kallinikos. Both were Greek Buddhists which pleased the Despot greatly. He suggested to the couple that the girl learn about money and keeping the books balanced while the boy learned to struggle and fight.

In October his feelers into the Urabo court had paid off. Most of the members of the court, all but one in fact, were willing to join a plot of kill his brother. For bribes. The Despot, seeing no other way, agreed. It cost him about 93 gold coins. But in the end it was worth it. Even the Shaykhah Ampratasene of Urabo herself joined in the plot to kill her own Councilor!

Spoiler: Best Backer Of All!
    Show

The Despot now had to wait and see what happened. If it failed it could backfire, destroying his own honor and hurting his position among his own vassals. But if he didn't try his own daughter might be killed and who knows what plans the Basileous would then have for the Despot's son - the only other warm body between him and inhering the throne.

The race was on. Who would die first?

Author’s End Notes:

1. At that point, in May, Kuntuvdi's Host was looting ANOTHER of the Great King's holdings, the County of Kusinagara.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Chapter Forty-Three : A Feast, A Host, And A Murder

Buwahahahaha!

We open this chapter on the 11th of January, in the year 796 AD, when the Despot finally received the sword Mistress Thekla had created for him.

Spoiler: The Despot's Sword And More Backers
    Show

Later that month he was notified that, once again, both his wife and his newest friend, Yajnavati, were backing Amritakala's plot to kill her husband. He asked them to stop and they did.

Then things got weird. In March a baby was delivered to the Royal Court. It seemed that Amritakala had given birth to a baby girl named Ioanna and sent her back to her husband to be cared for and educated.

Spoiler: The Plotter's Baby?
    Show

The Despot was totally confused by this act. The woman who was trying to kill her own husband had sent the husband their child to care for? The Despot suggested the girl learn duty.

"Hopefully," said the Despot as he looked over the bay girl, "she will learn it isn't right to try to kill one's father or husband."

In April not only did he get a report that the County of Haruppeswara was prospering under his Sakellarios' motivation but the Silk Road Market had completed in Kamarupanagara on the 10th.

Spoiler: More Money And A Better Military
    Show

At the same time of the completion of the Market his Protostrator informed him that Commander Salambha was improving his military skills. As you can guess, all of this pleased the Despot greatly.

Spoiler: Shaykhah Tarma
    Show

The next news neither pleased him nor displeased him. It was just interesting news. Tarma of Tarma's Host had won her war. She was now Shaykhah Tarma of Bharuka. And her idiot oldest son was now her heir.

In June the Despot found Himadrija plotting with her mother again. She agreed to stop but the Despot felt that, maybe, if she had a husband she might have less time to plot. You know, because wives did nothing but working the loom, praying to Buddha, and making babies. So he invited a lowborn male Buddhist from outside the Kingdom and got her married in July.

Spoiler: Settle Down Woman!
    Show

That same month the accountants reported that Kamarupangara was doing so well that it NEEDED more workers. Now, the Despot could just let supply and demand take its course and allow the workshops to get whatever workers decided to show up. OR he could spend money to help bring workers to the County. Which would result in more Greek workers. He decided on spending more money because he knew nothing about supply and demand.

Spoiler: A New Center Of Greek Culture!
    Show

The end result was the County of Kamarupangara's population was now mostly made up of Greek workers and the culture had changed to that of the Byzantine. Most of the rest of the Kingdom, such as the County of Srihatta, had populations made up of mostly Assmese and was the culture of, what we call today, Indo-Aryan.

Spoiler: When WILL This STOP?
    Show

At this point the Despot, once again, had to tell two people to stop backing Amritakala's plot to kill her own husband. One was Gopala Himadrijid, a simple courtier, and the other was Amritakala's new son-in-law, the man the Despot himself had invited to the court to marry Himadrija. Both of course agreed to withdraw from the plot.

Then there was some alarm within the Court as the Warlord Kuntuvdi and his Host was now coming east. In fact he was going to enter the Kingdom within a few days. Even while the Host was tracked the Despot had to continue to do his duties and act calm. In September he had to select a new Commander, for example, which he did. He selected Suddhodane Bharuka who had many skills for the position.

Spoiler: A Commander With A Title
    Show

In fact the family of Bharuka had a new member as Anktsas Bharuka and his wife Gujri had a baby boy named Makarios. The Despot decided the boy would be tutored about Greek culture and the Buddhist faith.

Spoiler: Another Bharuka?
    Show

In September was when the Host entered the Kingdom's borders. And nothing happened. The Despot decided to watch the Host for a little more before deciding it was safe. It continued to go east and there was nothing for it to loot in the east but HIS own counties. So, as you could guess, he was a tad wary of it.

Spoiler: Oh Come ON!
    Show

But he had other things to do. For example, ONCE again, somebody decided to back Amritakala's plot. One of his courtiers, who had backed the plot before, was doing it again. He demanded she withdraw and she did so in October.

Spoiler: Nikodemos And Stephania
    Show

While waiting for that reply his Court received two new Greek Freeloaders. One was a man named Nikodemos, a lowborn Christian, who was strong but craven. The second was a married Greek woman named Stephania. She was shy, trusting, but also strong and craven. She had left her husband and two boys behind to come to India. The Despot found her a mystery. WHY had she left Europe to come all the way here?

The Despot continued to watch the Host. The problem was the army marching through his lands was causing some worry among the peasants and even his own vassals so he decided to try to keep everybody calm. It was the 1st of October and the perfect time to hold the seasonal feast to celebrate the light pushing back the darkness. Only one vassal refused.

Spoiler: Send Out The Invites
    Show

This time he selected a necklace for his wife. Don't woman enjoy shiny things? And soon the Palace was ready for the feast to start!

Spoiler: Getting Ready For The Feast
    Show

Even while the Despot was drinking and feasting he received the good news that Haruppeswara was, once again, prospering with the help of his Sakellarios.

Then he received the news that the Host was looting the county of Haruppeswara.

The Despot secretly had a meeting with his Councilors. They could not call off the party now. And he did not wish to alarm his own vassals. So he ordered all his levies, and only his levies, outside the County of Haruppeswara to be raised.

The problem was that he knew his men would not be enough to handle the Kuntuvdi's Host. So the Despot opened up his coffers and hired the Bengal Band. It hurt. It really hurt as his coffers now only held 199 gold coins.

Spoiler: Joy In A Ocean Of Plots And Raiders
    Show

Even as his men assembled he gave his wife her gift. This time the pleasure she showed on her face did not seem faked. On the 7th of November the feast reached its high point and it was as if there were not armies marching throughout the Kingdom. Within the Palace the Despot was able, for one moment, to forget there was going to be a massive battle to protect his people and his lands. When the feast came to an end on the 12th of November he was finally able to focus on the problem at hand.

There was two of his armies assembling. One was the Army of Captain Pariksh1tnayaran. The Captain was the leader of the Bengal Band. On his left flank was Commander Suddhodane and on his right was Commander Herakleios. This army was stationed in Dimapur and numbered two thousand eight hundred and seventy-seven soldiers strong.

A smaller army was trapped in the County of Kundina. It numbered only two hundred and fifty-five. If it moved it was dead.

Spoiler: Moving Into Position
    Show

The Army of the Captain was directed to head WEST, to move around the river and hit the raiders from the direction of Capital. The smaller army was told to start their march so they would arrive shortly after the main body hit the Host.

While he waited the Despot was notified that Shaykhah had gotten married. So the Despot asked her husband, Ptompile, if he would like to join in the plot to kill his brother. The man agreed after a small bribe.

Spoiler: Another Backer Joins HIS Plot
    Show

Then the report came from the main army. The Battle of Numaligarh had started on the 13th of February as the Kingdom's army started to loose volleys of arrows and darts into the enemy ranks. The Host returned the fire though they only had half the archers.

Spoiler: Opening Moves Of The Battle Of Numaligarh
    Show

The smaller force from Kudina joined and Commander Suddhodane slammed the left flank of the Kingdom's army into the Host's right flank. As they fought face to face the rest of the Host crumbled. This allowed the whole army to hit the Host's right flank.

Soon the whole Host fell apart like syrup soaked pancakes. The cavalry and the elephants stomped the retreating enemy soldiers flat. By the 11th of March, in the year 797 AD, the Host had been defeated. In the end the Host lost 897 men while the Despot's army lost 212 men (including one elephant killed in action and another elephant wounded).

Spoiler: Victory And Some Wine
    Show

And a few days later, while the Despot was celebrating his victory with his Councilors, he was handed a letter from Bimbasare, one of the conspirators plotting to kill his brother. It seemed they were going to us the old poisoned wine trick in a upcoming banquet.

By April the Host was withdrawing into the Raja's holdings so the Despot's levies were sent home and the Bengal Band dismissed. At this point the Despot only had about 173 gold coins in his coffers.

Then on the 12th of April the news came that Basileios Dysnomia had died at the age of 23 from a poisoned wine at the orders of his own brother. In other words somebody had talked.

Spoiler: Victory...Kind Of
    Show

Now vassals who had kind of liked the Despot, or had been on the fence about how they felt about him, disliked him. And those who had been very warm towards him were not so warm anymore. But while it had done damage to his image it had not done as much damage as it could have. And, in the end, his daughter, and the future of his Kingdom, were safe

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

Chapter Forty-Four : The Last Party

Okay, Who Ordered The Peacock?

We will open this chapter with a small overview of the Despot's position within the realm. The assassination of his brother had done some damage to his hold on the Kingdom. But only in areas where his hold had been weak to start with. So let us look at the state of affairs on the 8th of May in 797 AD.

Spoiler: The Despot
    Show

For example, among the Bhikkhus of the realm many of his loyal followers were still loyal. And Isaias had always had problems with the Rulers of the Realm as he truly believed he should have been on the Council. So not really much change there.

Spoiler: The Monks And The Councilors
    Show

Among the Council the Sakellarios Alexios now disliked his liege but he had always been the weak link among the Councilors. So, once again, not much of a change. What really hurt the Despot was his vassals.

Spoiler: The Vassals
    Show

The Doux plus the Mayors of Herombial and Pragyotispura were now in the grumpy camp. The Mayors had been heading that way well before the murder. And the Doux - well it seemed that the Despot's fears had come true. The Doux now wanted a position on the Council AND the County of Dimapur and...the list went on. The Despot murdering his brother was just one more straw on the Doux's back. In fact you could argue that the murder had little influence on the Doux's new position.

But it did, overall, decrease opinions and, therefore, decrease his income.

The first major piece of news the Despot was to receive after the murder of his brother was that the Raja was being raided by Kurtuvdi's Host. The Despot was not in the mood to enjoy the humor of such a report.

Later that month the Baron of Nalrajar had died and left his title to his son Ratnapala. It didn't matter much, the son hated the Despot as much as his father had.

Spoiler: The NEW Baron Of Nalrajar
    Show

And of course what was a day in the life of the Royal Court without having to tell people to stop backing Amritakala's plot to kill her own husband. Despot asked the three backers to stop backing the plot and they agreed.

Spoiler: How MANY Times Will He Have To Tell Them To Stop?
    Show

In July a report came that stated that Kurtuvdi's Host was on the move again, heading west, looting all the way. The Despot didn't care as long as the Host stayed out of his territory.

On the 9th of July he was notified by his Protostrator that Commander Suddhodane had improved greatly under his teachings.

Spoiler: Commander Suddhodane
    Show

At this point the Despot decided to invite people to another private party to see if any of them would change their opinions about him.

Some of them refused, such as his wife (who was still ill), his Sakellarious (who disliked him), and his Protostrator.

On the other hand, many of the courtiers, even those who did not like him, agreed to come, as did his Upadhyaya and his wife, and Porphyrios (who disliked the Despot but likely felt he should show some respect for the man who kept him from being killed by his crazy wife), and the Baroness Vijnayavati of Nalrajar Garh. This WAS somewhat shocking as her husband, the Baron of Nalrajar Garh, hated the Despot.

The Sakellarious, Alexios, was doing such a good job running the Kingdom that records show that crime had come down AND fewer peasants were complaining. It suggested, even while he disliked his liege, that he did work very hard for him.

Spoiler: A Just And Hard Working Sakellarious
    Show

Later that month, on the 14th of September, Bishwas Devi "The Unfaithful", one of the Great King's lovers, died of pneumonia. That same day Alexios died from severe stress. Maybe he had worked TOO hard for his liege?

The Despot had mixed feelings. On one hand he now could replace his Sakellarious with somebody who LIKED him. On the other hand his best friend Hamide was now a lonely widow at 44 years of age. So he decided to take his friend as a concubine. Nobody, not even his wife, had any issues with this.

Spoiler: The Concubine Hamide
    Show

He selected Commander Herakleios as his next Sakellarios. He wasn't the best for the job but he was the best with a GOOD opinion of the Despot.

In November the guests started to arrive. The food was brought out and the party started. Early on he found a new drinking buddy in Damutara - the lowborn wife of his Guru and Upadhyaya.

Spoiler: Time To Party!
    Show

But all good times, once again, come to an end. In December the guests had to leave, the dishes cleaned up, and the floors swept.

After the party ended the Despot went to his private quarters and opened his trunk. There was his old mother's sword. He knew in the next war he would need to show his people he was not a coward. But how...?

Then it hit him. He had promised himself never to go tiger hunting again. But surely hunting other creatures would help him develop the skills for fighting. And maybe help him become BRAVE!

Spoiler: Let's go Kill Something!
    Show

So that day he announced to his Councilors, his Royal Court, his wife, and his new concubine that he was going to take up HUNTING!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58

Chapter Forty-Five : Too Many Backers!

Wrong Kind Of Plotting Guys

We open this chapter with the Despot receiving news from the outside world. The first piece of news was that Thakur (or Count) Trailokyavarman of Tripuri was raiding the Great King. Also the Shaykhah Tarma had announced that she planned to become a Paragon of Enlightenment. The Despot found that very amusing.

He was not amused when in May his Spy Master explained to him that five people were now backing Amritakala in her plot to kill her husband.

"Five?" he exclaimed. "FIVE? I keep telling them to stop and now the numbers have increased? Does everybody hate this guy?"

Spoiler: Not A Nice Guy
    Show

Eustratios the Goldsmith cleared his throat and said, "Well, my liege, Porphyrios is a difficult man to like. He is cruel, lazy, eats a lot, can’t be trusted, is one of those East Christian sects that even the other East Christians don’t like-”

“I get it, I get it,” said the Despot. “Just tell them to stop backing the plot.”

“Of course my liege,” said the Goldsmith as he bowed and then left the throne room.

Soon he received a flood of replies from the backers agreeing to back down.

Spoiler: FIVE?!?!
    Show

Then he got some good news. Seems Commander Indrapala had become a skilled Cavalry Leader!

Spoiler: Commander Indrapala
    Show

Then he got some bad news. Seems people were starting to back Amritakala’s plot again. INCLUDING his own Protostrator!

Spoiler: Stop IT!
    Show

He told them to stop it and they agreed to do so. Funny enough, one result of telling people to stop plotting was those people had a higher opinion of their liege.

Spoiler: People Like Being Told To What To DO?
    Show

By the time those backers had backed down another backer had appeared on the scene. His rival, Anktsas had also decided to back Amritakala’s plot. He, too, agreed to withdraw his support.

Spoiler: His Rival Backs Down
    Show

In August the Spy Master entered the throne room and the Despot sighed, saying aloud, “Who is backing Amritakala this time?”

The Goldsmith bowed and replied, “No one. This is about Bhikku Isaias backing Nihal Nagar’s plot to kill Gujri.”

“Who now?” said the Despot confused.

The Goldsmith sighed. “The woman you don’t know trying to kill the courtier you don’t know.”

“Oh them,” said the Despot with a knowing nod. “Tell him to...wait, wasn’t he just plotting to kill Porphyrios?”

“Well, yes,” said the Goldsmith. “A few months ago he was backing that plot. Seems he joined this one only a few days ago.”

“Well, tell him to stop.” The Despot sighed, rubbed his face and asked, “Does it feel to you that these plots are all blurring together?”

The Goldsmith gestured toward the pieces of paper in his hands. “I keep notes.”

Of course Bhikkhu Isaias of Hajo backed down.

Spoiler: The Buddhist Backs Down
    Show

In November the Despot sent his Sakellarios, Herakleios, to Kamarupanagara to study a way to expand on the Silk Road Trade Posts. The Despot felt that his Kingdom needed to become a powerhouse of economic power as well as military power.

By this time the Despot had noticed a certain silence among his Royal Court. While there were three plots brewing nobody was backing them. He felt a great weight lift off his shoulders when he realized that he could enjoy some peace and quiet.

He decided it was a perfect time to celebrate the seasonal feast of Diwali. He sent out the invites via some messengers and selected a necklace for his wife. She liked it last time so why mess up a good thing?

Spoiler: A Good Time For A Diwali Feast
    Show

Only one of the Mayors and one of the Barons refused to come -which wasn’t so bad when you take into account how many of his vassals disliked him.

Spoiler: Spoil-Sports
    Show

On the 22nd of November the Palace was ready, the dining halls full of groaning tables piled high with food, and the guests started to arrive! Soon the music was playing, the wine flowing, and the people laughing.

Spoiler: Start The Feast!
    Show

During the party the Despot was approached by one of his attendants with a note. At first he was scared to peek at it but when he did it turned out to be good news. It seemed the County of Dimapur had embraced the Greek culture. This was wonderful news that he was happy to make many toasts to!

Spoiler: County Of Dimapur Becomes Greek
    Show

Giving his wife the gift of a magnificent necklace turned out to be the perfect gift as it seems the wife fell in love with her husband because of it. At least the histories written at the time suggested that she developed stronger feelings for her husband. The rest of the feast went marvelously and by the time it ended he was in a VERY good mood.

Spoiler: Back To Real Life
    Show

And why not? His wife loved him, his concubine liked him, his kids disliked him for murdering their uncle but at least they were alive, his army now held over two thousand soldiers, the Buddhist leaders all liked him again, and his traitorous brother was dead. Out of those two thousand some soldiers only about two hundred soldiers belonged to vassals. He was feeling very secure.

Spoiler: The Despot Is Doing Well...For A Murderer!
    Show

Now maybe it was about time for him to try the whole hunting thing?

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Chapter Forty-Six : The Despot Faces His Fears

Itchy, Yucky, Jungle

We open this chapter with the Despot packing for his second tiger hunt. He wasn't very happy about it but if he was going to be a brave warrior and skilled hunter he HAD to go hunt things.

Spoiler: Invites Are Sent
    Show

On the 4th of January, of the year 799 AD, he had announced he was going on a hunt and invited his vassals to come along. Out of the nine vassals only two refused his invitation. Baron Ratnapala of Nalrajar Garh and Doux Cowaske of Para-Lauhitya both had business that forced them to decline.

Spoiler: ...And Turned Down
    Show

So now it was time to pack.

He packed everything he thought he would need. He packed his mother's sword in case he needed to defend himself. He packed his brand NEW sword because it was too valuable to leave behind. He packed his mother's dagger because he didn't trust his kids not to visit his room while he was gone. The little twits might try to kill him with it. And, of course, he packed Mister Blankie.

As the hunters and attendants and soldiers prepared their own equipment and started to organized the hunting group a rumor floated into the Kingdom. It seemed that Maharaja Dharmapala "The Unchaste" had set aside his concubine Devavati. The woman who the late Queen had given to the Great King to improve his opinion of her.

Spoiler: The Ex-Concubine Devavati
    Show

Of course, Devavati was not pleased. They were still lovers and she still had a good opinion of the Great King but she no longer had a position in his court. She was now just a Courtier he had a love affair with. In the end she was just too old to have children and Dharmapala felt there was no reason to have her as a concubine.

Spoiler: Off We Go!
    Show

By the 16th of January the crowded hunting group finally arrived at the camp and started to unpack. They sent up the tents, started the cooking fires, put out guards to secure it from bandits, and the Despot's attendants warmed up some water for his evening bath.

Later that night, right when everybody was about to turn in after the meal, there was a scream from the Despot's tent.

The soldiers rushed in to find the Despot on his bunk, Mister Blankie in front of him, pointing at a moth flickering around the tiny candle he used to keep the tent from becoming too dark. He didn't like the dark.

"Kill it!" he shouted. "Kill it!"

The soldiers carefully took the moth outside and released it.

"I bet we have to do this a couple times tonight," one of them mumbled to the others.

"Remember when that spider got into his private chambers back in the palace?" said another soldier. "We spent hours searching his room to make sure it had not laid its eggs in there."

The soldiers sighed. It was going to be a long hunt.

After many, many, many days of searching the jungle the hunting party finally ran into a tiger. Or to be honest the tiger ran into them, leaping out of the bushes very close to the Despot. Luckily the soldiers were able to get between him and the tiger and kill it with their spears.

Spoiler: Kill, Kitty Cat, Kill!
    Show

After searching some more for another tiger or maybe some other wild animal to kill the hunting party returned to the Palace, arriving there by the 15th of February.

Spoiler: Palace Sweet Palace
    Show

The Despot was very proud to put his new tiger skin next to the old one and even the Queen was impressed.

"So am I brave now?" the Despot asked his children as they looked over the new tiger skin.

His daughter pulled out a fake wooden snake from behind her back and he ran screaming from the room.

The Queen face palmed.
    Last edited by Valley; 2018-05-11 at 10:38 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Chapter Forty-Seven : The Doux MUST Go!

And You Get A Title! And You Get A Title! Everybody Gets A Title!

We open this chapter in March. It seems Arminestra had lost her favorite toy and she refused to go to bed without. The Despot realized it may have been thrown out and decided to go look for it.

Spoiler: A Smelly Toy
    Show

In fact he found it in the trash. But when he brought it to his daughter she refused to take it back. "It stinks!" she said, making a face at him. He sighed. Why were his children so horribly? He didn't remember being like this when he was a little child.

In May his good friend Hamide, his concubine, gave him a small puppy. "It is a good bloodline," she pointed out, "and would make a great hunting dog."

Spoiler: A New Dog
    Show

The Despot thanked her and named the puppy Faithful. He told his older guard dog, Fluffy, not to be jealous.

On the 15th of June he was alerted to the fact that Himadrija, daughter of Amritakala, was once again helping her mother plot to kill Porphyios. Of course the Despot asked her to stop and she agreed to do so by late June.

Spoiler: Himadrija, Once Again, Backs Out
    Show

"Why can't these people stop plotting to kill each other and let me play with my puppy?" complained the Despot to his Spy Master.

In July the Spy Master brought the Despot news of a more direct and dangerous type.

"The Doux is doing what now?" asked the Despot, very alarmed.

"The Doux has started a Faction," said the Goldsmith. "He plans to demand Gavelkind Succession in Kamarupa. If he gets his way your Titles would be split between your daughter and son."

Spoiler: A New Faction
    Show

"I don't like that. I don't like that at all," said the Despot, frowning, as he stood up. The puppy whined as the Despot stopped rubbing his furry tummy. "Is anybody backing him?"

"Not yet my liege," said the Goldsmith. "But he is dangerous all by himself. The Doux of Para-Lauhitya has at least 400 some warriors. Warriors that normally would be PART of your own force of two thousand."

"So we still outnumber him for now," mumbled the Despot out loud. "But if we wait to move others may join him and make his postion stronger."

The Despot pondered his choices for a few moments and then smiled.

Spoiler: REJOINING A Plot
    Show

What he first did was offer to REJOIN Marzoban Dharmawarme's plot to kill the Doux. Then he sent Eustratios the Goldsmith to build a spy network in the Doux's Capital - the County of Goalpara.

Spoiler: The Goldsmith Cometh
    Show

If he could found something on the Doux then the Despot could force the man out of the Faction using blackmail.

On the 27th of July Belisarios became bedridden and incapable of continuing his duties as the Court Chaplain.(1)

The Despot selected the Baroness Eusebia of Prithiminagar, a Buddhist Nun and a Vassal with a good opinion of her liege, as the next Upadhyaya and kept her in Kamarupanagra to study the Greek culture and find ways to spread it faster among the populace.

By October his new hunting dog was growing quickly and, by all records, was a good dog.

Spoiler: Good DOG!
    Show

On 7th of October it seems Belisarios left the position of Court Physician. It is assumed that he was too sick to carry out his duties.(2)

Spoiler: Search For A New Physician
    Show

The Despot sent out messengers to find a new Physician. And he found one in the form of a blind man. Isaakios "The Blind" is what the peasants called him. Of course he was invited to become the next Doctor to the Despot.

Spoiler: A Physician Is Found
    Show

When he got to the Royal Court the Despot had a surprise for him. Marriage! The poor blind man was married on the 20th of October. As his wife was higher on the ladder of society than him, being the bastard kid of old Count Pusyamitra "The Lecher", it was a matrilineal marriage. The best part was his positive opinion of the Despot, as he was a Greek Buddhist AND craven.

Spoiler: The Blind Doctor's Wedding
    Show

So we close this chapter on a blind lowborn doctor marrying a highborn love kid of a lecher in a Greek Court in a Buddhist Kingdom in a tiny corner of Medieval India.

Author’s End Notes:

1. It seems he was suffering from food poisoning.

2. Many authors suggest that he died as there are no records of him after this point. YET there was no record of the Guru position becoming open either. Very confusing.

Spoiler
    Show