New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Road of Queens - CKII India AAR

Crusader Kings 2 - The Road of Queens
    Chapter Forty-Eight : Plots, Deaths, And Insanity

Baiting The Doux!

We open the chapter on the 15h of February, of the year 800 AD, and we find the Despot in his private chambers pondering what else he could do to the Doux to get him killed or arrested. He may have been a coward but he was a smart coward who knew what needed to be done. Done by braver men than him, of course, but still had to be done.

His military was over two thousand and his treasury was over 400 gold coins. He had two dogs, three friends (one of which was his concubine) and a loving wife. He had two kids which he wanted to lock in a room and not let out till they were 16 years of age (but that was normal for parents).

The first major event in 800 AD was the death of his Goldsmith. His 60 year old Spy Master died of cancer on the 11th of March. The first thought the Despot had was "Never going to get those jewels my mom paid for."

Spoiler: Commander Suddbodane Marries A Widow
    Show

His second thought was to marry the widow to a younger man. He selected Commander Suddbodane.

Spoiler: The New Spy Master Is Spent Off
    Show

But Suddbodane Bharuka did not just get the Goldsmith's wife but his old job as Spy Master and sent to Goalpara to continue to scheme against the Doux. But to make sure the Commander and Spy Master was happy with his new position he was also given the title of Seneschal. It had started at as a real job but was not more of a honorable title with a small salary.

As the Despot waited for the Doux to be killed or do something illegal, the Great King Dharmapala started another one of his wars. This time against a kid Raja over one of the boy's counties.

Spoiler: The Great King Picks On Another Kid
    Show

In June the Despot had to tell Dionysios to stop backing Nihal's plot to kill Gujri. Of course he had no idea who the two women were but he agreed that unimportant people killing unimportant people was a bad thing.

Spoiler: Stop IT Dionysios
    Show

"I need to find a way to make the Doux react," said Andronikos to his wife one night as they shared a private meal. "I need to bait him like a bear or a bull. Get to do something stupid and allow me to arrest him or banish him or something."

"Why not marry off his lover to another man?" suggested the Queen as she paused in her meal to take sip of the wine.

The Despot just stared at her, kissed her on the forehead and said, "Wonderful!"

The Doux had a 28 year old lowborn lover called Saci. Sadly he refused to marry her off to anybody, no matter who the Despot selected.

"He didn't fall for it," murmured the Despot to his wife one day after failing many times to get the Doux to agree to marrying off his lover.

"Why not take her as a concubine," she said as she looked up from her needlepoint. "He can't refuse you that."

The Despot looked at her in surprise. "He...can't refuse me that...can he?"

Spoiler: The Doux Gives Up His Lover
    Show

Saci, the Despot's new Concubine, arrived in July. She barely had time to organize herself and take a breathe before the Despot married her off to one of his male courtiers, Damianos.

Spoiler: The Doux's Lover Gets Married!
    Show

The Queen was confused by his actions and asked him to explain it over a another evening meal.

"The Doux didn't seem to get upset with me taking his lover," said the Depot. "I guess he figured he could still visit her. But as somebody's wife that becomes an affair. And the new husband...what's his name...Damianos...may get upset. Who knows what he may do? Hatch another plot. Demand a duel. Remember, it was your idea in the first place to marry her off."

"What if he just kills Saci in a fit of rage?" pointed out the Queen.

"And then Doux will be upset. Maybe do something I can arrest him for," answered the Despot as he dipped his flatbread into some sauce.

"Too many ifs," stated the Queen.

Late July he found out that Porhyrios, of all people, was backing Nihal's murder plot and Saci, the brand new member of the court, was backing the plot to kill Porhyrios.

Spoiler: One Backer Stops Plotting To Kill Another Backer
    Show

The Despot's private records show he had an urge to let them all kill each other but he intervened and they both agreed to back down.

In October Devavati, the Ex-Concubine of the Great King, had died a natural death at the age of 47.

Spoiler: Devavati Dies
    Show

Then the blind Court Physician and the Upadhyaya came to the Despot to give him some grave news.

“I am sorry my liege,” said the Upadhyaya, the Baroness Eusebia, as she bowed to him. “But we must report to you that after examining the Queen we have found that she is mad.

Spoiler: Sad News
    Show

The Despot wept.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-08-18 at 02:33 PM.
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

2. - Top - End - #62

Chapter Forty-Nine : Out With The Old And In With The New

Leadership Can Be Stressful

We open this chapter with the scene of the Despot in his private chambers going over the accounts of the Kingdom. The reports showed that his coffers now held over 500 gold coins. He wanted to make sure his treasury was nice and in the black before the treaty between him and the Raja ended. Which would be very soon. If only he could get the claim.

His thoughts were cut off when a attendant knocked on the door with loud, hard blows.

“Come in?” said the Despot, one hand on the letter opener just in case.

The attendant came in, his face red, panting. “Liege...I came...as soon as I heard...” The men bent over and sucked in some air, trying to catch his breathe. “News about...the Doux...”

“What has happened?” said the Despot alarmed. He had not been alerted to the murder plot going forward. Or maybe the Doux had finally done something to allow the Despot to arrest him or banish him.

“He died...” panted the attendant.

“From what? What did he die from?” questioned the Despot. Oh please let him have been killed during a tiger hunt thought the Despot to himself. Oh the irony!

“He died from stress....”

“Well,” said the Despot after a few seconds of silence, “that’s somewhat anti-climatic.”

“His only son is now Doux Sudas of Para-Lauhitya,” continued the attendant, having calmed down, his face a healthier color. “This means the Faction for Gavelkind Succession has vanished. The old Doux was the only member.”

Spoiler: The NEW Doux
    Show

The Despot dismissed the attendant and pondered this new information. The danger was still there as the boy would grow up to be a man who disliked the Despot and would likely be just as much a trouble maker as the old Doux.(1)

“Well,” said the Despot, “looks like he has to go.”

Spoiler: Hatching A New Plot For A New Doux
    Show

He invited the Realm’s Bhikkhus to the plot. Isaias and Pelagios were willing to join for some coins. The Baroness Eusebia joined without a second thought or any request for a bribe. In fact she was the first to reply to his inquiry.

Spoiler: Why Are The Buddhist Leaders So Eager to Kill?
    Show

During this the Great King Dharmapala won his war on the Raja. But it turns out he didn’t just want one of his counties. He used his newly conquered county to take the young Raja’s title as well (as the Great King now owned a majority of the counties within the duchy).

Spoiler: Another "Great" War Comes To An End
    Show

The Despot also had to tell two people to stop backing Amritakala’s plot to kill Porphyrios. The Despot’s private papers suggest he was starting to think that Porphyrios should be asked to leave the court - it seemed everybody hated him.

Spoiler: Why Do People Hate Porphyrios So?
    Show

On the 12th of December the Despot was visited by his Spy Master. The man was there to alert him to the fact that Dionysios had started his own plot to kill Princess Arminestra of Kamarupa.

Spoiler: Dionysios Arrested
    Show

“Not again....” he said and ordered his Protostrator to Kamarupanagara to help arrest the man. This time it worked and Dionysios was dragged to the dungeons under the palace.

The Despot visited Dionysios in his dungeons shortly after his arrest.

The Despot approached the cell holding the Greek Freeloader and smiled at him. The dungeons were of a classical designs. Dark shadows everywhere, with moister dripping down the walls, no windows, a few flickering lamps, crawling bugs, happy rats, and good solid blood stained bars. The Despot was pretty sure the blood was fake, the dripping water came out of hidden pipes, and the rats were well fed pets of the jailers.

“Greetings Dionysios,” said the Despot. “Hope the food is horrible and the roaches are friendly.”

“What do you want?” said the crazed man from behind the bars. He spat at the Despot but missed. The jailers had warned the Despot about that. Seems the prisoner was inhabited by a demon. Totally possessed.

“I offer you freedom,” said the Despot. “Your plot has failed and now you must pay. I have many things I can do to you. But I decided on the most terrible I could think of to to you. Something JUST for you.”

“What would that be...?” responded Dionysios.

“Well, first I have married your daughter Dama-”

“She WAS never MY daughter!” shouted Dionysios, “She is a bastard!”

“Fine, fine,” said the Despot, holding up his hands as if to calm the man. “Anyway, she is now married to another Greek Freeloader.”

Spoiler: Dionysios's Bastard Daughter
    Show

“And your offer...?”

“If you wish to leave this cell,” stated the Despot, “ become a Buddhist.”

“NEVER!”

The Despot turned around and started to walk up the stairs. “We will see how long you hold that position once the rats try to find warmth in your white beard.”

The man did not hold out very long.

Spoiler: That Was Fast...
    Show

The Despot went back to waiting for the new Doux to die. As he waited it was announced that the County of Dimapur was prospering under his direct control.

Spoiler: County Of Dimapur
    Show

He was also alerted that the treaty would be running out very soon, in less than two months, which made the Despot all the more eager to get his Noble House in order.

He invited two new Courtiers to his court. He wanted new blood in the court and he got it. Not only did both men came to join his Royal Court but they both also brought their families.

Spoiler: A LOT Of New Blood
    Show

We close this chapter on the 21st of February when it as reported to the Despot that the Shaykhah Tarma died comatose in bed and her eldest son became Count Anktsas of Aksu.

The fact that his rival now had a Realm, an army, and coffers full of money didn’t bother the Despot at all. One of the reasons was that the new Count was FAR away, a foreign ruler in a realm that would dislike him for it, and he was also very content with his new position. It meant that WHILE he may have HATED the Despot he didn’t WANT the Despot’s Throne. He was happy with what he had.

Spoiler: What's A Aksu?
    Show

And that was good enough for the Despot to tell his spies and attendants to stop keeping track of the Count Anktsas of Aksu (which was once the Realm of Bharuka).(2)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author’s End Notes:

1. One best-selling author had pointed out that the old Doux’s schemes were never allowed to come to completion. Technically he had never DONE anything against the Royal Family.

2. No hint in the historical records on why the name was changed.

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63

Chapter Fifty : Boredom And A Failed Hunt

Tiger tiger, burning bright,
    In the forest of the night,
    Please don't eat me!

On the 22nd of February the Despot was told that the truce between him and the Raja Shurapala of Shantideva was about to run out in 14 days. And there was still no claim.

Also, the young Doux still lived. The Despot found himself just waiting for a message - any message from either the plotters or the Council.

"You need to get out of the palace," complained the Queen. "You are driving us ALL crazy."

The Despot decided to take his wife's advice and proclaimed that he would have another Tiger Hunt! And everybody accepted their invites this time.

Spoiler: Time To Hunt Some Tigers!
    Show

While the attendants and hunters and soldiers were preparing the tents, packing the food, and getting the equipment ready the treaty between him and the Raja ran out. All he needed was a claim! All he wanted was a claim. Well, that and a dead Doux.

By March the hunting party had reached the spot where they set up their tents, started their cooking fires, and set up the guards to protect the Royal Liege from robbers and moths.

Spoiler: The Joys Of Camping
    Show

And they spent a LOT of time in the jungle, searching and searching, yet finding no tigers. Every evening, when they returned to the tents, the Despot had his meal, had a warm bath, and then slept under a few layers of netting to keep the bugs away.

He hated the early morning birds when he had to wake up, he hated the way the trees reached down to smack him with their branches when he rode on his elephant, and he hated the way the ground always seemed to be alive with stick bugs and ants and spiders and beetles and snakes.

Spoiler: Nothing To Show For It
    Show

It was a total failure. He tried to act disappointed when he returned but nobody really believed him. They knew he was craven and was only hunting to try to overcome it.

By the 20th of May his new Spy Master pointed out that Amritakala had four backers for her plot to kill her husband Porphyrios. And this time she might kill the man if the Despot did not stop it.

So the Despot sent four letters to the backers to stop and they agreed.

Spoiler: Four More Backers Back Down
    Show

On the 4th of July a couple of friends of the Despot went off to hunt boar and brought the dead animal, still bloody from the final blow, to show him in person. He passed out. Still, his friends were kind enough to invite him to the feast after they roasted it. Nothing like wild boar that had lived free and happy to make a good dish. (1)

Spoiler: Nothing Like Fresh Pork...*PASSES OUT*
    Show

Around then he started taking his dog outside to train it to be a proper hunting dog. After each day of training he always came back into the Palace and asked two questions. Any word about the claim? Any word about the young Doux. The answer was always in the negative.

Spoiler: Good Dog! Hunt Down the Poor Animals!
    Show

He was growing restless again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author’s End Notes:

1. As all his friends were women this is a very interesting story that has been questioned by historians.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64

Chapter Fifty-One : A New Ward And A New Friend

Lots of Children In this Court!

We open this chapter on the 10th of July, when the Despot was notified that his son, Prince Ioulianos, was now ready for the second stage of his education as he was now 12 years of age.

Spoiler: The Prince
    Show

The Despot selected Stewardship - an important skill for any future ruler.

It turned out his friend, Damutara, had a daughter whose education had been neglected due to the death of the father. The Despot took it upon himself to help her select the girl's education.

Spoiler: Theodosia
    Show

Theodoisa, for a girl who had only received lessons and tutoring from her mother, had some already impressive skills for a six year old. To work with one of her strong points he suggested to she learn how to fight and struggle.

In fact he was so impressed by her that he suggested that his son and Damutara's daughter marry when they come of age and his friend agreed.

Spoiler: The Prince And Future Bride
    Show

In 6th of the August his new Spy Master Suddbodane and his wife, Kolite, had a baby daughter Phyllis Bharuka. She was the Spy Master's first daughter but the second daughter of Kolite who had a girl from her earlier marriage with the old Spy Master.

Spoiler: Pyhllis Bharuka
    Show

He suggested she study the Buddhist faith. Always a good pick for a young newborn.

The Despot decided to go over the records of the Court to see if any other children needed a proper education and found two. They were Faramarz Sangramazk and Chat Sangramazk - a boy and a girl who were the children of one of the new courtiers. The boy showed signs of not getting enough to eat - like his father.(1)

Spoiler: Faramarz And Chat
    Show

The boy started his classes on Buddhism and the was given to Herakleios, the Sakellarios, for proper training. It was decided the girl would learn about bookkeeping and money matters. She was too young to be given to a guardian so she would, for now, stay with her parents.

A few days later the Despot received sad news that Damutara, his friend, the woman whose daughter would become his Daughter-In-Law, had died from poor health on the 11th of August. Of course he took the daughter as his ward, promising to himself to do his best to bring her up as a good Greek Buddhist and a good wife for his son.

Spoiler: All Alone
    Show

Of course he felt the lose of his friend and went drinking in her honor. He picked a common tap house, for when mourning a lost friend you needed a dark, gloomy, dive and you also needed beer, lots of it, and his cellar held mostly fine wines. He needed the beer to be cheap, strong, and plentiful.

Spoiler: You Sad Too, Kolite?
    Show

After drinking a few cups of beer too many he ran into Kolite, who was also a tad drunk herself, and he invited her to sit with him. He started to chat with her and they shared their problems in life. In the end they became good friends. It didn't even bother him that she was the Sister-In-Law of his long distant rival.

Spoiler: A NEW Friend
    Show

So in the end, while losing one friend, he had gained another friend and had the honor of taking care of, and educating, his future Daughter-In-Law. He thought of it as receiving two honors at once.

Yet he still was restless and uneasy. He waited for the news of the Doux's death or a claim on the Raja's county.

Author’s End Notes:

1. Likely why the family had been so willing to answer the call to join the Despot's Royal Court.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65

Chapter Fifty-Two : Waiting Is The Hardest Part

The Festival Of Lights

We open this chapter with the Despot in his throne room looking over the reports of his Council. Loukas, his one-eyed Magistros, was in Bikrampur working on a claim. Suddbodane Bharuka was in Goalpara spying. But Protostrator was idle. The Despot had failed to give him new orders after the arrest of Dionysios. The Despot sent orders for the Protostrator to return to organizing the army and training the Commanders.

His Sakellarios, Herakleios, and his Upadhyaya, the Baroness, were both in Kamarupangara. The Despot decided they needed to go to Haruppeswara. The Sakellarios was sent to study the Trade Post there and hopefully suggest some way to improve on the economy. He also sent the Baroness there to spread the Greek culture and find ways to make it more acceptable to the peasants.

Spoiler: Getting The Council To Work
    Show

He was still very restless and needed to do something to fight off the boredom and the descending darkness that was overwhelming his, normally, positive disposition. Then he realized the best thing to fight darkness with was with the light. His scribes wrote the invites and they were sent out via riders. And, amazingly, everybody agreed to come to the festival.(1)

Spoiler: Preparing For The Festival
    Show

He made sure to buy a jeweled necklace for his wife as a gift. She liked it last year and the year before so he decided she would likely enjoy another one to add to her collection. By November the Palace was ready, the cooks had planned out the menus, and the guests had started to arrive with their servants. Time to start the Diwali Festival of Light!

Spoiler: Enjoying The Good Times!
    Show

When it came time to give his wife a gift he had been, once again, proven right to pick a necklace. She was overwhelmed with joy at her gift. When the darkest night of Diwali arrived he was in a wonderful mood and greatly enjoyed the drinking, eating, and company of his friends while surrounded by the hundreds of burning oil lamps. When the festival came to an end in December he had some fine memories to help keep him happy for awhile.

Spoiler: Back To Real Life
    Show

On the 23rd of January, 802 AD, Damayanti Kamarupanagarid and her Greek husband, had given birth to a baby girl named Kakanvati. They say that when she was born she grabbed the nearest scroll and started to read!(2)

Spoiler: A Reading Baby!?!
    Show

He suggested she learn about money and keeping account books. Always a good skill for a future Noble Lady.

The Despot, by February, had noticed that the Doux’s Regent, Tonke Kalodayesoya, who had been solidly loyal to the young Doux, was no longer holding such a high opinion of his liege as of late. He also noticed a Courtier in the Doux’s court by the name of Kemarcune Turtamid was also not as warm towards his liege as he should have been. Both of their opinions towards the Doux had eroded. In fact they disliked the Despot less than their own Ruler.

Spoiler: Bribes
    Show

The Despot tried to see if he could get them to join the plot with a few bribes. In the end they refused to join the plot but their opinions of him were now in the positive. If this continued, if their feelings towards their liege worsened, then there was a chance they WOULD join the plot. And when a Regent joins a plot against his own young ward...well, it was bound to get messy.

Author’s End Notes:

1. This author has realized he has failed to explain what the Festival of Light is and asks for your forgiveness. Diwali or Deepavali is the Hindu festival of lights celebrated every year around autumn. It spiritually signifies the victory of light over darkness, good over evil, knowledge over ignorance, and hope over despair. Likely started in ancient India as a harvest festival it had slowly been associated with different legends and great events in different parts of India. In the end it has became a seasonal, spiritual, cultural, and religious festival observed by Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, and some Buddhists.

2. Damayanti was the “Bastard” daughter of Dionysios.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Chapter Fifty-Three : Court Courtiers And A Non-War Meeting

Courtiers Always Plotting

The Despot had many talents and skills. One thing he also had was patience. Lots of it. Sometimes people and events tried his patience but he was able to keep calm in most events. Most.

We open this chapter on the 22nd of February of 802 AD with the Despot being told that Rudrani, a courtier, was backing Amritakala's plot to kill Porphyrios. He, of course, sent her a letter to stop backing the crazy woman and she agreed.

Spoiler: STOP BACKING HER!
    Show

While this has happening the Despot was working on his own plot. He sent a bribe to Kalodaye Ekasrinkesoya, the young Doux's Court Doctor, and while this DID work to increase the Doctor's opinion of the Despot it was not enough to bring him into the murderous plot.

Spoiler: Back ME!
    Show

By now he had been notified that his wife, the Queen, was backing Amritakala's plot again. He complained in his private papers about how everybody was willing to back that "crazy woman's plot" but not his plot. It so was unfair. He asked his Queen to back out and she did.

Spoiler: You TOO Wife?
    Show

During this time news leaked out from the Kingdom of Pala that the Great King had inherited a title from one of his Vassals. Seems the man had died from poor health. At least that was the government told to the public.

Spoiler: Death From Poor Health? Really?
    Show

Playing with his dog and training him, month after month, was really helping him becoming healthier.

Spoiler: Good Doggy!
    Show

His dogs were truly doing wonders for his life.

Spoiler: The Good Life
    Show

In April he had a meeting with his Council about the future war the Kingdom would be having with the Raja Shurapala of Shantideva Raj. He asked about the other option.

You see, while he could wait for a claim to be created, he also had the choice of making the Raja a Tributary. That would force the Raja to pay the Despot 40% of his monthly income as tribute.

Spoiler: 40% Of Almost Nothing IS Almost Nothing
    Show

While that would allow him to go to war NOW there was some disadvantages with such a choice. First, the Raja only made 1.4 gold coins per month. In other words they would never make back the money used to fund the war from the tribute alone. Second, this would force a treaty on the Despot. Even if he suddenly had a claim just after the war ended he could not use it for years. And there was, of course, the problem that a weakened Raja would be easy pickings for the Great King. What if the Great King took the very County of Bikramper that the Despot wanted and he couldn’t do anything about because of the NEW treaty?

So the Despot decided that patience was truly a virtue and to wait. There would be no war. Not yet. He could always focus his energy on the plot against the Doux.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

Chapter Fifty-Four : The Doux Comes To Court, Another Failed Hunt, And An Artifact Search

How Hard Can This BE? Just Stab Him!

We open this chapter in May of the year 802 AD when The Despot realized one of his Courtiers, Rudrani, liked him so much for telling her to stop backing a plot that there was a chance he might be able to get her to convert to Buddhism. Which she did shortly after his request.

Spoiler: Another Converted Buddhist
    Show

This started him thinking. If he could get the Doux to come to his court he might find killing him easier. After all, his friends were in his court. Shouldn’t that make it EASIER to kill the boy? So he suggested to the Regent of the Doux that Kolite, his newest friend, would make a perfect Guardian.

Spoiler: The Young Doux Is Asked If He Would Like A NEW Guardian
    Show

The Regent and Doux agreed and he CAME to the Royal Court! The Despot was shocked on how easy that was.

Spoiler: Wait...He FELL For That?!?
    Show

Sadly, the Despot found that what sounded good in theory was not the same in practice. Even less people within his own court were willing to join in a plot to kill the Doux than in the Doux‘s own court. Those among his Vassals who had been willing to join had already done so. He even reassigned the Spy Master to Kamarupanagara to build spy networks to help the plot (and protect the Despot at the same time) but it only helped a little.

By July he was back to stopping other people's plots. For example, he had to tell two people to stop backing Amritakala's plot again.

Spoiler: More Backers Backing Down...Again...
    Show

By the time he was told that Commander Herakleios was doing well in his studies in the field of military knowledge the Despot was getting restless again. Very restless.

Spoiler: Commander Herakleios
    Show

So in September he announced another tiger hunt! The letters were sent and, once again, nobody refused his invitations.

Spoiler: Another Tiger Hunt!
    Show

The hunting camp was everything he feared it would be. Bugs in the food, birds singing all day long, unknown creatures lurking outside his tent at night. Sunshine, clean air, and bright colorful flowers all over the place. It drove him nuts.

Spoiler: Oh Joy, More Time In The Bush, Failing To Get A Tiger!
    Show

He failed to get a tiger. Again. Not that anybody thought he would luck out and kill another tiger. It seemed that each Ruler of the Realm was only allowed one tiger skin per lifetime.

In November an event happened that many of the history records seem to mention in very little detail. Some don’t seem to have any mention of it at all. It seems somebody, a woman if we read between the lines of some of the accounts, tried to blackmail the Despot. He turned to one of his close friends to handle the delicate matter as he wished to keep it out of the public eye. Only a few accounts of the extortion state Yajnavati was the friend he turned to ask for help.

Spoiler: Asking A Friend For Help
    Show

As he waited for his friend to do her magic he noticed something in the books that sparked his interest.

Spoiler: We're Spending Money On WHAT Now?
    Show

"Herakleios!" shouted the Despot as he roamed the Palace. "Herakleios! Where is that Sakellarios?"

"My Liege?" said the man, finally being brought to the Despot. "How may I help you?"

"What does THIS mean?" demanded the Despot as he handed Herakleios one of the accountants' many books. "That line..there.."

"Let me see," said the Sakellarios. "Oh..it seems you are paying for a artifact search. Some of you income is going to the payment of such a investigation.”

The Despot looked confused and then suddenly gasped. “But that was years ago! I assigned Georgios to search for the artifact years ago! Before he died!”

“And it looks like you never assigned a new Councilor to the job,” stated Herakleios as he closed the book and handed it back to his Liege. “All the money is going to waste...”

The Despot smiled at the Sakellarios and said, “Herakleios, remember how you are always complaining about how you wanted to see the world.”

“I never complained about any...oh, I see my liege. I’ll go pack now.”

Spoiler: Herakleios Goes To Search For An Artifact
    Show

In December his friend, Yajnavati, was able to close the case of extortion. Of course this just strengthened their friendship.

Spoiler: Yajnavati Saves The Day
    Show

It was around this time he had to tell Kakanvati “The Unfaithful” to stop backing Amritakala’s plot (again). She, of course, agreed to back down.

Spoiler: Kakanvati Backs Down Again
    Show

In February he caught his daughter going through his letters but didn’t punish her for it, as was the norm of the time, because he felt that it was always a good idea to encourage the young to learn how to read in any form.

Spoiler: Reading The Despot's Mail
    Show

It was also around this time that the family celebrated his wife’s birthday - she had turned 50.

Spoiler: 50 Year Old Queen
    Show

So we close this chapter with a restless Despot with an older wife, a artifact that has yet to be found, a Doux he can’t seem to kill right in his very own Palace, and a war he just needs a cause for. In our next chapter we will leave this bored Despot behind to go see how the rest of the world is doing!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

Chapter Fifty-Five : World Tour 803 AD

Byzantine Soldiers Charging Into Battle And Glory

Greetings my lovely readers. In this chapter we leave the Court of the Despot, who is still bored and impatient, to see the world's most powerful nations. So, let us begin!

The first military power on our list, for as you remember we judge who the powerful nations are by the size of their armies, is the Byzantine Empire. The Ruler was still Basileus Niketas "The Usurper". He had an army of over fifteen thousand men and he would need them. Not only had he already crushed one revolt but it seemed there was a current Byzantine Revolt to bring BACK his brother as the Emperor. Funny enough Prince Christophoros had nothing to do with the revolt as he was on his brother's Council.

Spoiler: Byzantine Empire
    Show

The Emperor was also suffering from vicious rumors. Funny enough a common issue among many of the Rulers we will be visiting in this chapter. Next we move pretty much next door to the neighboring Arabian Empire run by the Abbasids. The Ruler was still Caliph Al-Hadi "The Holy".

Spoiler: Arabian Empire
    Show

He was, also, still as dull and content as he was the last time we had visited. But with over twelve thousand warriors and over fourteen hundred gold coins he can afford to be as dull and content as he wanted to be.

Now we go back north again. And we visit the third on our list, the Byzantine Revolt, which we already mentioned. The Ruler was a female, Theodosia of Apokapis.

Spoiler: Byzantine Revolt
    Show

Remember, her ten thousand soldiers are NOT the total amount of soldiers she could have. Just what was available based on what her fifteen vassals were willing to give to her. Still, take into account her military skills and she was a REAL danger to the Empire. And a danger to the Prince she was "supporting" for she was ambitious. If she won - well, who says she might not be the one to take the throne? A female ruler - how uncommon.

So now we fly to Andalusia (Spain) to finally visit Sultan Husam "The Holy" of Umayyad Sultanate. A Ruler with over five thousand warriors, four living wives, seven children, and twenty-eight vassals he seemed to be doing well. Even the traditional war with Asturias that all Moorish rulers seem to enjoy.

Spoiler: Andalusia (Spain)
    Show

But it turned out he was NOT as Holy as the nickname suggested. He was not just a known murder BUT also his people suspected him of impaling people. In other words it may be he liked to torture people. Also, it seemed that the person who was MEANT to inherit the throne was the person he killed. On my.

Well, let us move on to Europe where we find the next nation on our list of military powerhouses. Poland.

Spoiler: Poland
    Show

King Strasz of Poland had just over seven thousand soldiers, was in debt, dull and not much else. He had four vassals, two children, and was involved in one of those massive wars were everybody had been invited. I don’t think we will be seeing him again to be honest.

Now we fly back to the east, to India, and one of our favorite Great Kings. Yes, that’s right! The Kingdom of Pala (Bengal).

Spoiler: Pala (Bengal)
    Show

At the age of 50 years the Maharaja Dharmapala is holding on with over five thousand warriors and more then 400 gold coins. Thirty-nine vassals still called him their liege and he had eight children still surviving. Oh, his wife still hated him and he was under stress but overall he was doing very well.

And the last on the list is West Francia. Oh dear. It looks like the Kingdom had Gavelkind as the succession law. That means the eldest inherits the primary title and the junior heirs either become vassals or, as it looked like in this case, independent rulers. So now the Kingdom of West Francia looked like somebody spilled grape jam onto the map of Europe. When the last King died, in other words, it broke up.

Spoiler: West Francia
    Show

That would explain why King Agilbert of West Francia had less then three thousand soldiers, very little money and only twenty-one vassals. With siblings who were also Kings and a LOT of claims of all the holdings he wanted returned to his own realm. He was also knee deep in two wars, he had expelled the Jews, and he was possessed. Wonderful. The Karling Family ladies and gentlemen. Always entertaining.

So we close this chapter on the seven most powerful nations of the world. Well, the known world. And next time join me as we, once again, join the Despot and his Royal Court. But for now, I must put away the book, put out the lamp, and go clean my fingers of the ink.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69

Chapter Fifty-Six : And The Despot Is Greatly Displeased

He Kind Of Saw That Coming

We open this chapter in March, when Bhikkhu Pelagios told the Despot about his new idea to improve on the military. Despot didn't really understand what he was taking about but agreed to fund his project anyway.

Spoiler: A Military Project
    Show

On the 9th they celebrated Hamide's birthday. Like the Queen she had turned 50.

Spoiler: Happy Birthday To YOUUUU!!!
    Show

By April the Despot was alerted to the fact that Rudrani was, once again, backing Amritakala's plot. Amritakala had also turned 50. The Despot asked Rudrani to withdraw from the plot and agreed.

Spoiler: A Backer Backs Down And Another Friend Dies
    Show

Sadly, on April the 26th, Hamide died a natural death. It was sad but she died in the Palace among friends.

Spoiler: When Rajas Attack!
    Show

In May Raja Dharmarstha delared a war on Raja Rajamalla to make the man pay him tribute.

Spoiler: The Raja Shurapala Joins In Another War
    Show

That same month the Despot noticed that the Raja Shurapala of Shantideva Raj had gotten involved in a war but a different war. Though the defender was Raja Rajamalla - who must have been in more than one war.

Spoiler: The Great King Becomes A Kill-Stealer!
    Show

He was not the only one to notice this. The Great King noticed also and declared his own war. For Bikrampur. After a short cursing spree the Despot calmed down. He had kind of foreseen this very event. So he should not have been surprised. The Despot recalled Magistros to the Capital to perform statecraft within his court. Trying to get a claim for the County of Bikrampur NOW was just plain a waste of time.

Spoiler: You Want 25% Of The Army? YeaaaahNO.
    Show

Even while the Despot watched the series of overlapping wars break out beyond his borders the Sakellarios came to him asking for a large part of the military to help him search distant lands. He wanted one out of every four warriors to help him. He was told no.

Spoiler: Who Will Win?
    Show

The Despot was also alerted to the fact that Raja Shurapala had hired over eleven thousand hired swords to fight for him against the Great King. As The Great King only had just over five thousand men THIS might be a problem for him. On top of that he was now infirm on top of being depressed. Would he be able to handle the younger, more aggressive, if less skilled, Raja?

So we end the chapter with the Despot wishing the Raja victory in his war and wishing somebody in the Great King's family would finally murder the county-stealing bastard.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Chapter Fifty-Seven : Watching A War

And The Tides Turn...

We open this chapter on the 27th of July, 803 AD, when the Despot received news that Prabhavati Kaivarta and his own wife, Queen Lilavati, were backing Amritakala's plot. He was so tired of her and her plot that he almost decided not to tell them to stop. But he did anyway and they both agreed by August to pull out of the plot.

Spoiler: When Will People Stop Doing This...?
    Show

Later that month he was told by his Protostrator that Commander Herakleios had improved greatly during the military drills.

Spoiler: Commander Herakleios
    Show

By September he was alerted to the fact that Dharmatrate Koto was seeking to kill Kemarcune Turtamid, one of the men in the Doux's court who the Despot had tried to bribe. As Turtamid had refused to join HIS plot the Despot didn't bother to waste his time in trying to save the man. On the other hand two more people were told to STOP backing Amritakala's scheme to kill her husband. The two, after agreeing to back out, withdrew by October.

Spoiler: Getting Tired Of Backers
    Show

By then the Despot noticed that the Doux's Regent was sending out feelers to his Spy Master that he WAS now willing to join the plot to kill the Doux. Seems that Tonke Kalodayesoya had come to the point that he disliked his liege.

On hearing this he found himself in a much better mood and announced that they would be celebrating the Diwali Festival! He sent out the invites and only one of his Vassals refused to come. Of course the Despot selected a necklace for his wife.

Spoiler: Another Festival Of Light
    Show

By the 17th of October the Palace was ready, the kitchens crowded with staff working over hot ovens, and the guests started to arrive.

Spoiler: Time To Start The Feast!
    Show

Just before he was to give his wife a gift a attendant brought him a note from his Spy Master. It was a small note and only had one sentence:

Spoiler: The Small Note From His Spy Master
    Show

The Regent Had Joined.

The smile he had on his face when giving the necklace to the Queen must have made her day as many witnesses assumed it was just a sign of his happiness to be with her. It is said the Despot truly enjoyed the feast and was very disappointed when it had to end.

Spoiler: What A wonderful Time!
    Show

Near the end of November the Sakellarios canme to the Despot asking permission for him, and his men, to "appropriate" what they needed from the burghers. The Despot once again said no to his request.

Spoiler: Piss Off My Vassals? YeaaahNO!
    Show

On the 30th of November a report came to the Despot from spies across the border. The Raja and the Great King were fighting in a massive battle. Over ten thousand of the Raja's hired warriors had attacked the Great King while he was laying siege to the Raja's Capital. The enemy defenders only had just over four thousand men. It was assumed that the Raja would win but the Despot wasn't so sure. The Raja was attacking across the River Ganges - a huge disadvantage. And he was attacking a army of hardened veterans commanded by some of the best Commanders in India. After all, the Great King had been fighting wars since before the Despot had even been born. He also had a bigger pool of Commanders to select from for his armies. Outside of the Raja's numbers the Great King held all the cards.

Spoiler: A Major Battle - The Deciding Battle?
    Show

While waiting for word for the results of the battle the Despot was alerted by the Magistro, Loukas, that he had improved the Baron Salasthamba's opinion of the Despot. It really hadn't helped much.

Spoiler: Yes, He Really Only Dislikes Me Now...How Helpful
    Show

News finally arrived in January. The Raja's broken army was fleeing. Not only had the Great King's men outfought a larger army but now another of the Great King's armies was marching down to join them. Soon the Capital would likely fall and the Raja would be forced to give in.

Spoiler: A Defeated Raja
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Raja's army fleeing and the Despot waiting for his plot against the Doux to be carried out.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

Chapter Fifty-Eight : Two Wars End And Another Tiger Hunt

The Surrendering Raja

We open this chapter in January in the year 804 AD. As the Despot waits for the plot against the Doux to be resolved and the war just south of his Kingdom to end he still had a Court to run. One decision was about his son’s education. His son needed some guidance and the Despot, having some experience with being a child, tried to teach Prince Ioulainos about being diligent. Of course, this did end up causing the Despot some stress, as teaching a child isn’t easy, but he felt it was worth it.

Spoiler: Prince Ioulainos
    Show

In February it was noticed that the Raja’s fleeing army was heading into the Despot’s territory. While it was called the Raja’s Army by many in the Kingdom all news suggested that the Raja was, in fact, not with them. At this point he had a total of just over seven thousand men. On paper he still outnumbered the Great King. But in the hearts of the people they all knew he had failed and was doomed to be a loser.(1)

At this point the Despot realized that he would not be having a war, not any time soon, and he should really have the hundreds of gold coins working for him and not just gathering dust.

Spoiler: Castle Towns Everywhere
    Show

So he not only decided to expand the current Castle Town in Kamarupanagara, but build a brand new Castle Town in Haruppeswara and a brand new Castle Town in Kundina (which was STILL having issues with bandits).

Spoiler: War Of The Rajas End
    Show

In March the War between the normal Kings ended. The Raja Rajamalla “The Lion Heart” accepted that he would have to pay the Raja Dharmarstha of Somavamsi tribute.

Spoiler: Another Big Cat Hunt
    Show

That same month the Despot announced a Tiger Hunt. It is said many people rolled their eyes and sighed. They knew he was trying to change himself and few believed he could do it.

Spoiler: Business, eh?
    Show

In fact two of his Vassals refused to come on the hunt. The Baron Salasthamba of Numaligarh and the Mayor Staurakios of Pragyotisapura both said they had pressing business.

Spoiler: The Hunt Starts
    Show

By the end of March the Despot and his attendants and his soldiers and his hunters and his retainers and his cooks and his elephant handlers had reached the hunting camp. They spent much of the remaining hours of daylight pulling up the tents, preparing the evening meal, and making sure the Despot’s tent was free of snakes that looked like ropes.

Spoiler: The Great King Won! Surprise?
    Show

The hunt had barely started when a letter from the Palace was delivered to the Despot. The Raja Shurapala of Shantideva had finally surrendered to the Great King. The war was over and the Raja was now the Ruler of a two-county Realm.

Spoiler: How Embarrassing...
    Show

The embarrassing part about this was both holdings were held by others. So in order to have a Capital for his Realm he had to take away one of the counties from one of his own people. Which was unlikely to please that Vassal. Or any of his remaining Vassals for that matter.

The day after receiving the news the Despot’s scouts reported to have finally found a tiger! The hunting party spread out and encircled the spot in which the tiger had been noticed

Spoiler: We Got The Cat!
    Show

The tiger was caught in the trap. The creature had been totally unaware of the hunters until it was too late. The Despot described the beast as having three heads, shooting green flames out of its eyes, and being as large as a mountain. Most witnesses say it was just a tiger-sized tiger and fell to the many spears of the soldiers who attacked it from all sides as it tried to escape.

Spoiler: County Of Kamarupanagara
    Show

While the hunting camp celebrated the kill of the big cat the Despot received a note that the County of Kamarupanagara, his Capital, were prospering. The people were pleased and so were the tax collectors - a rare combination. As the Despot was enjoying a cup of wine and a snake free tent his blind Court Physician Isaakios burst into the tent. He pleaded with the Despot to leave his study and enjoy life, for the man feared his liege was working too hard, having done so all night long.

Spoiler: A Confused Physician
    Show

The Despot slowly informed the confused man that they, were in fact, not in his study and it was early afternoon. He also explained how they had just spent the last few weeks taking it easy in the jungle hunting down tigers.

“Listen,” the Despot added, “I know I am stressed and I thank you for worrying about me. But the Realm needs me to keep it on course and I can never let go of the wheel of state. Not even for a moment. When not tiger hunting I mean. Or feasting of course. Or playing with my dogs. They are SO cute! Anyway, thank you for the advice.”

Spoiler: Nonna Was No Longer Greek
    Show

Even before the hunting party had finished packing the Despot received another note. It seemed that Nonna, one of Kolite’s daughters, was so influenced by her mother that she was now considered Tocharian and NOT Greek. The Despot decided to do nothing. Kolite was one of his best friends and Nonna was HER daughter. He decided, in this case, to let her have her own way within her own family.

Spoiler: Bringing Home The Tiger Skin
    Show

By the 24th of April, in the year 804 AD, the Despot returned to his Palace, with a new tiger skin to add to the other two, with peaceful borders, and, while slightly stressed, he also had a new sense of optimism.

Author’s End Notes:

1. The Raja, was in fact, laying siege to one of the Great King’s many counties. But he had neither the numbers nor the time to carry it out properly before the war ended.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Chapter Fifty-Nine : Looking Forward To The Future

The Future Queen

We open this chapter on the 5th of May, in the year 804 AD, when Sangrama and his wife gave birth to another child. The baby girl was named Chinanch and the Despot decided she should learn more about Buddhism.

Spoiler: Chinanch
    Show

Later, in June, it was announced that the Great King had inherited a title from one of his Vassals who had died from a "accident".

Spoiler: An Accident?
    Show

On the 28th of June the Despot had to pick the Princess's next stage of her education. He decided she would need to learn how to plot and scheme and spy on others.

Spoiler: Future Queen And Master Spy!
    Show

"So she does not have the same problems I do in dealing with troublesome people," he murmured to himself when he told the Queen and the Council his decision.

But it was also time to introduce her to the rest of the Court, mostly the Vassals, which she would one day rule over. He sent out the invitations and hoped that his daughter would act with grace and good manners.

Spoiler: Time To Meet And Greet With The Princess
    Show

The first to be introduced to the Princess was to be the Baroness Eusebia of Prithiminagar. Before meeting the Princess she came to the Despot and offered to spend time teaching Arminestra some of the more intricate parts of the Buddhavacana in exchange for a favor. This was a tricky choice. On one hand it would greatly help the Princess to get formal religious guidance from the Baroness. On the other hand he would owe a favor to a landowning member of the Council - a dangerous position to be in. But he thought of the future of his Kingdom and agreed.

Spoiler: The Baroness's Offer
    Show

Luckily the official meeting between the Baroness and the Princess went off without a problem.

Spoiler: Allainces?
    Show

In July rumors were heard in the Court that the Great King was forming alliances with other Kings. He was alarmed by this. And a tad upset that he wasn't invited to the network of alliances.

Spoiler: Taking Up Falconry?
    Show

He tired to cheer himself up by taking out one of the new birds for some hunting. His mom had once talked about how she missed the sport of falconry. He decided he should try it.

Spoiler: The Baron Salasthamba
    Show

As he was preparing for the hunt he received word that his daughter had met the Baron Salasthamba of Numaligarh. Not only had she spilled a hot liquid onto him but had, somehow, insulted ALL of his ancestors. The Despot publicly announced how sorry he was about the whole thing but his private papers suggest he found it pretty funny.

Spoiler: Stupid Bird!
    Show

His hunt with the new bird was horrible. Not only did it kill WAY too many rabbits BUT it attacked the Despot when he tried to retrieve one! The Despot Andronikos decided that poetry was safer.

Spoiler: Girl Fight!
    Show

During a Court function, where the Despot was having a very nice chat with one of his many courtiers, there was suddenly a ruckus. It seemed that the Princess had gotten into a fight with Yajiyavati Numaliggaid. The Despot was unhappy about this, both in public and in private, as it was one thing to insult the Baron (who he didn’t like) but it was another to keep the grudge going for ANOTHER generation. This feud between the two families was starting to become silly!

Spoiler: A Offer From Pelagios
    Show

In September the Bikkhu Pelagios of Madan Kamdev, after his meeting with the Princess, offered to train her how to fight in exchange for a favor. Once again the Despot found himself with two choices. On one hand the future Queen would likely need to know something about combat if she was to become a balanced ruler. On the other hand Pelagios was a powerful Warrior Monk with land and a position in the Council. Still the Despot thought of the future and agreed.

Spoiler: The White TIGER!
    Show

In October it was reported that the White Tiger had been spotted. The Despot fought his cowardly thoughts of ignoring such sightings and sent out some of his best hunters to search it out and find it.

Spoiler: The Last Visiting Vassal
    Show

The Princess was introduced to one of the Mayors that hated the Despot- to be honest they all disliked him - and did pretty well at impressing him. Soon the last of the visiting vassals left the Palace and the Despot could relax.

So we leave him for now in a semi-cheerful mood and with his mind focused on the future.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-08-28 at 10:24 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Chapter Sixty : Poetry And Plotting

"An Ode To A Piece Of Cheese"

We open this chapter in October, as the Despot is receiving the shocking news that his poems on cheese had become all the rage in the local taprooms, coffee bars, and poetry slams. He never REALLY officially released his works - they had just leaked out. Now he was known as a poet within the realm and beyond!

Spoiler: Despot The Poet
    Show

In November he sent his Magistros, the one-eyed Loukas, to try to produce a claim on Samatata. Out of the two counties the Raja still had it was the most valuable. And even had a seaport.

Spoiler: County Of Samatata
    Show

Later that month the Bhikkhu Pelagios died. This news caused the Despot to have mixed feelings. On one hand the Pelagiso had been a good trainer of men and Commanders. On the other hand he was horrible with bandits, had been a powerful landowner on the Council, and could have demanded his favor back at any time. He had been dangerous.

Spoiler: Death Of A Protostrator And The Doux Comes Of Age
    Show

Also his death was badly timed as the Doux now came of age a few days later. He was 16 years old and in change of his lands and court. And Pelagios had been the most powerful of the Despot's backers in the plot to kill the young man.

The Doux Sudas was a homosexual and dull - his Vassals would dislike that. He was also zealous, ambitious, a master manipulator, and paranoid. He was also focusing on intrigue. In other words spying on others. Scheming was his new bread and butter. In the end he wanted a position on the Council just like his father AND would be twice as hard to kill even though his was lacking in all other skills. On top of that he had already isolated himself and the court by closing the gates of his castle. Which meant the common people already disliked him.

But the Despot had a Kingdom to run and first he had to pick a new Protostrator. He selected Gopala Himadrijid, husband to Himadrija Kamrupanagarid. This made him the son-in-law of Amritakala who was now 51 years of age and still plotting to kill her husband. He was happy to receive the position AND the title of Master of the Hunt. The Despot spent him off to organize the army and train the Commanders.

Spoiler: Protostrator Gopala
    Show

After that the Despot met the NEW Bhikkhu of Madan Kamdev, a Greek Buddhist named Anatolios. The man was more than willing to join the plot to kill the Doux. For a bribe. The problem was he was NOT Pelagios and barely brought anything to the plot. Even sending his Spy Master to Goalpara in January in the beginning of the new year did nothing to help. The Doux was too skilled and paranoid in his late teenage years to be catch off guard!

Spoiler: The Plot Against The Doux Continues
    Show

At this point the Despot remembered the OTHER plots within his court and spent the whole evening writing letters to seven members of his court telling them to stop backing the plots.

Spoiler: The Other Plots
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Despot resting his writing hand and sipping wine and trying to decide what to do with a powerful and dangerous, if not very smart, Doux.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Chapter Sixty-One : The Hunt For The White Tiger

The White Tiger Has Many Meanings In Many Cultures

We open this chapter in January of the year 805 AD when the Despot had just been notified that the Great White Tiger had been spotted in the County of Kamatapur.

Spoiler: Good News Everyone!
    Show

That seemed to make sense as the county was one of the underdeveloped regions of his Kingdom. He ordered his attendants to prepare his best horse and pack his camping gear. He had never used the gear himself but figured it was time to break it in.

Spoiler: Mail Call!
    Show

As he prepared for the hunt he started getting replies from his cease-and-desist letters. Mostly about Amritakala's plot. Oh, and one backer backed down from Nihal's plot to kill the Countess Gujri.

Spoiler: Countess Who?
    Show

"Wait," said the Despot on reading that last reply. "I thought she was a Courtier?"

"She was my liege," said the attendant. "But she got married off and she is now a Countess. In fact I think you are the one who married her off in the first place."

"Wait," said the Despot. "She is no longer in my court? Then why the heck am I worried about her?"

"I do not pretend to understand you and your infinite wisdom my liege," replied the attendant as he left the room.

It seemed to the Despot Andronikos that the nearer he got to being ready to go searching for the White Tiger the more decisions he had to make. He was told that the Princess was a very real curious girl and many within the court thought that it was unbecoming of the fair sex.

Spoiler: The Princess Was A Curious Girl
    Show

But the Despot disagreed. He didn't want her to be FAIR. He wanted her to be cunning.

Spoiler: The Princess Was A Shrewd Girl
    Show

Then his Spy Master explained that the spies finally had something juicy on the Doux. Something so powerfully it could likely force the Doux to promise to stay out for factions for the time being. The Despot would have preferred the Doux's death but forcing him to agree to behave was useful. The Doux was NOT happy but he compiled.

Spoiler: Dirt On The Doux
    Show

On the 18th of February the Despot also was told by the accountants that the Castle Towns in Haruppeswara and Kundina were completed and would soon start bringing in more tax income.

Spoiler: Maybe Leave A Forwarding Address?
    Show

In March the Despot noticed that Gopala was trying to back his Mother-In-Law's plot again and told him to knock it off. By this time he was almost ready for his hunt. He had selected the weapons and his hunting dogs. He had picked his favorite saddle and best horse. Now he just had to get his nerves in order and to take the first step and leave the Palace.

Right when he was getting into the saddle and accepting the bow and arrows from one of his servants a messenger appeared with a package from the Doux. It held a mighty long letter which, when cut down to the meat of the matter, was the Doux asking for the County of Kundina.

Spoiler: Is This Some Kind Of Joke?
    Show

The Despot laughed so hard he almost fell out of his saddle. And replied as diplomatically as he could.

Then he was off. Searching near and far, in the deep jungles and on top of the forest capped mountains. And he found no trace of the White Tiger. But he did find a small cottage with a pretty young woman. She was lonely and inviting and while the Despot was craven he wasn't going to leave a poor young woman all defenseless and lonely in the dark, cold night. So of course he stayed the night.

Spoiler: No Tiger...
    Show

He helped keep her warm all night long. The next morning he asked her to come back to the Palace with him and she agreed.

Spoiler: ...But He Found The Lady
    Show

They had become lovers. She was not just lovely on the eyes but a genius to boot.

Spoiler: A New Lover
    Show

And many of her traits and skills would make her a good Spy Master if the position was ever open again.

Spoiler: A Failed Hunt But Not The Last One!
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Despot returning to the court having failed to find the Tiger but lucky enough to find the Lady.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

Chapter Sixty-Two : Out With The Old

In With The New!

We open the chapter in April, in the year 805 AD, in which the Despot finds himself telling the Doux to stop backing Amritakala's plot. The reply was shocking. He had said NO.

Spoiler: Did...Did He Say NO?
    Show

And very stupid on the Doux's part. As now the Despot could legally arrest him. But the Despot was smart enough to know that could cause problems and had to be carefully planned out.

Spoiler: He Is AN Heir Not THE Heir
    Show

While preparing to arrest the Doux his son grew up to be a masterful steward. The Council celebrated the grooming of an heir. Not THE HEIR but an heir. So the Despot decided his next life goal was to overcome being a yellow-bellied coward.

Spoiler: The Despot Wants To Improve Himself
    Show

As he raised his levies he was notified, on the 19th of July, that the Castle Town in Kamarupanagara had been expanded on. The levies, of course, were all sent to Goalpara.

Spoiler: The Doux Went Into Hiding
    Show

Later that month he was told that the Doux had gone into hiding. Seems he had somehow sensed a plot against him. It could of been somebody told him about the Despot's plot OR it could have been a totally different plot. He was NOT well liked.

By August the army was in place, with the Despot at its head, to take care of any revolt by the Doux and the new Protostrator was sent to be in position to arrest the Doux when ordered to do so. So everything was ready. There was only one problem.

Spoiler: The Doux Had GONE Into Hiding
    Show

They could not ARREST the Doux because he was in hiding. The Despot's covert goal of killing the Doux was interfering with his overt goal of arresting the Doux. So the Despot did the next best thing. He demanded the Doux hand over his title. He wanted the title of Duchy of Para-Lauhitya back. The best part of demand was that his Vassals could not care less as they all saw the Doux was a traitor.

Spoiler: The Despot Demands The Duchy Back
    Show

The Doux, no doubt realizing that he was already at a disadvantage and refusing would just get him deeper into trouble, agreed to give up his title. He still had two others after all. The Despot, it seemed, had been ready for the new title. He had spent some time searching India for his future Doux. Or in this case his future Duchess.

Spoiler: The Doux Gives Up His Duchy
    Show

Lasani "The Troubadour" was a old woman of many, many skills. True, she also had some flaws but she was without children or siblings and was 54 years old. So she wasn't going to be having any children any time soon.

Spoiler: Lasani "The Troubadour"
    Show

She was given the County of Dimapur and then the Title of the Duchy of Para-Lauhitya. She became VERY loyal towards the Despot after receiving such honors.

Spoiler: Count Sudas
    Show

The irony was that the Despot's plot was still going on but with new members. When the Doux became a normal Count many of the backers left but new backers within the counties that the Count controlled joined in at the Spy Master's invitation. The Count was now small fry and some of the other small fry wanted him dead. While being in hiding would likely help Count Sudas survive it also HURT him in his relationships with his vassals, courtiers, and other rulers.

"If only I could get him to come out of hiding," said to himself in October over one of his evening meals he was sharing with his wife.

The Queen looked up from playing with her food and said, "Just end the plot."

The Despot face palmed himself.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

Chapter Sixty-Three : A Bitter Count

A VERY Bitter Count

We open this chapter with the Despot in a good mood. In fact, in early October, 805 AD, he made his lover from the wilds his Concubine. This way he wasn't having a love affair behind his Queen's back.

Spoiler: A New Concubine
    Show

Then he ended the plot against the “harmless” Count Sudas. He felt there was no reason to kill him at this point. His Spy Master, Mystikos Suddhobane Bharuka, was called back to Kamarupanagara to scheme and uncover plots against the Despot.

Spoiler: Ending The Plot
    Show

“NOW we can arrest the Count!” stated the Despot with glee.(1)

The Councilors were not so happy. They had to explain to him that the Count was now under the authority of the Duchess and he had to respect her vassals.

“So I can’t arrest him?” he said, disappointed.

The Council explained to the Despot that he was correct. He was not allowed to arrest somebody else’s vassals.

The Despot was displeased but figured that, at this point, the Count was the Duchess’s problem.

“After all, he IS harmless, right?” he said aloud as he left the Council meeting to carry out other duties.

On the 11th of October Sanrama Anantazk, shortly after the death of his wife, left the Despot's court for the Petty Shahdom of Khotan. He also left behind his four kids when doing so.

Spoiler: Dead-Beat Dad
    Show

This action by the dead-beat dad reminded the Despot to check on his adult son. His son had turned out okay in a sense. True, he was a little lusty and dishonest. But he was also temperate, diligent, and humble. The Prince was still waiting for his child-bride to come of age and had no land to speak of but seemed to be doing well.

Spoiler: The Prince Ioulianos
    Show

In November it was rumored that EVERYBODY loved the Despot's hunting dog. Also in November the new Duchess Lasani made the Count Sudas her Master of the Hunt. Maybe she was trying to cheer him up or raise his opinion of her. It failed - both of them disliked each other.

Spoiler: Good Dog!
    Show

The Despot was so pleased with her that he made the Duchess the Royal Court’s Court Musician. Which made a lot of sense when you take into account her nickname.

The Despot decided to hold the Festival of Light in December. A little late but he was in a very good mood by that point. He sent out the messages and also picked out a necklace for his wife. It was said she really loved her necklaces. She had given them each a name and even talked to them late into the night.

Spoiler: A Feast To Beat Back The Darkness
    Show

Only one of his Vassals refused to come to the feast. Mayor Tygasimha of Suvarnagram. He, like many of the Mayors, thought of himself as a powerful vassal and was upset at not being part of the Council. By mid-December the Palace was ready, the kitchens full of tired staff and warm food, and the guests started to arrive.

Spoiler: Let's Get This Party Started!
    Show

As the feast went into full swing he was asked to meet his Council in private. A tad upset at being pulled away from the party he met them in the Council’s meeting room. He demanded to know what was so important as to pull him away from family, friends, and wine?

The Council informed him of the Count Sudas’s Revolt. It seems he was willing to fight for the title of Duchy of Para-Lauhitya.

Spoiler: Count Sudas's Revolt
    Show

It was recorded in the histories that the Despot was silent for a few moments and then said, “The next time I say we should stop an assassination plot because I think the target is now harmless I want somebody to hit me with a large fish.”

“Noted liege,” said Magistros Loukas.

Author’s End Notes:

1. The Count, IN FACT, did not come out of hiding for YEARS.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77

Chapter Sixty-Four : An Uneven War

The Revolt Was Nothing But Siege Warfare So Far

We open this chapter with the Despot trying the first thing that popped into his mind. He asked the Count to stop. The Count's reply was polite and well worded but seemed to upset the Despot by how well mannered and innocent it came across. In other words it pissed him off.

Spoiler: Really? REALLY?
    Show

He realized that the war was somewhat uneven. The Count had two counties and more men. The Despot gave the Duchess a gift of coin but knew it would not help her very much.

Spoiler: Giving Gifts To The Duchess
    Show

Not that there was much he could do during the feast. Even while he gave his Queen another necklace, which she started talking to right away, calling it George, he was worried about the Revolt in his Kingdom. Even when celebrating with the others during the high point of the feast he was nervous about what news he might receive from his attendants. By the end of the feast he was kind of surprised on how well it went during a Revolt.

Spoiler: The Feast Must Go On
    Show

After the party ended he rushed to his throne room and demanded maps and information on what had happening during the feast.

"So," said the Despot after looking over the maps and letters from his agents in the field who had been watching the unfolding war. "The Count had taken some time to get his men together, moving his Goalpara levies to Srihatta to join up with the soldiers there. In doing so he left his Capital to the Duchess's men who are now putting it to siege. He is NOW marching with his combined men to Dimapur where he plans to do the same to her."

Spoiler: The Position Of The Fighting Forces
    Show

"Now," said the Despot as he looked up from his maps to the listening Councilors, "She has one advantage. Dimapur has a Castle AND a city. Which means his has to siege both. While Goalpara only has a Castle. Which she can take and move onto Srihatta in the time it takes him to take Dimapur. Problem is, he has the numbers to make his siege go faster. So sooner or later he will be free to attack her army directly."

The Despot leaned back in his throne and said, "So what we need to do is find a way to help her without joining the war - which I am not allowed to do ANYWAY."

While the Despot carefully pondered his next action he received a letter from Count Sudas that held information that was very damning towards one of his most loyal vassals. The Despot refused to use it - he didn't care how kinky the Baroness was!

Spoiler: The Baroness Does What NOW?
    Show

"Is he insane?" stated the Despot after burning the letter. "Somebody tell me really. Is he insane? Does he think anything he does now will get me to side with him?"

By March the Count was carrying out a siege on the Duchess's Castle.

Spoiler: The Warring Forces By March
    Show

While watching the two sieges in April the Despot was given the greatest news he had ever gotten since his birth. The Great King Dharmapala "The Unchaste" of The Pala Kingdom had died due to severe stress.

Spoiler: The Pala Kingdom Breaks!
    Show

Now his lands were split between two of his offspring. In fact they both had claims on the other sibling's territory. It was a mess. The Despot had a good laugh about it. Much needed during this time of stress.

And it gave him a wonderful idea. In April he gave the Duchess the County of Suvarnagram.

Spoiler: Another Gift For The Duchess
    Show

Then the Despot got some bad news. It seems that the new Great King of Pala was declaring war on the Raja Shurapala for the County of Samatata.

Spoiler: Darn You NEW Great King!
    Show

"Of course he is," said the Despot once he was given the news. "Of course he is."

Spoiler: Outposts For Haruppeswara
    Show

In June he was given a normal, everyday, decision to make. According to his Protostrator the County of Haruppeswara was having issues with wolves and robbers. The Protostrator suggested a systems of road outposts to protect the peasants. The Despot approved of such a plan. Also in June the Duchess had finally gotten her new county organized and was marching her additional men north to meet the rest of her troops in Goalpara.

Spoiler: The Warring Forces By June
    Show

So we end this chapter with a Vassal Civil War, a Broken Pala Kingdom, and a Despot who was wishing he had killed a certain Doux many, MANY, years ago.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78

Chapter Sixty-Five : A More Even Sided War

More Exciting Siege Action!

We open this chapter in June, during the year 806 AD, with the Despot receiving the news that the Raja Shurapala had asked for, and was about to get, help from Raja Rajamalla "The Lion Heart" in his war with one of the Great Kings.

Spoiler: Raja Rajamalla "The Lion Heart"
    Show

"Oh," said the Despot. "He had an ally. Wonderful. Maybe he will win."

He was being wishful but it was true that the Alliances the old Great King had made had ended with his death. So the new Great King of Pala was starting fresh - with no allies to call in.

Spoiler: The Warring Forces By September
    Show

In September the Count had finally overcome the Duchess's Castle but still had the city to deal with. The Duchess was about to take Castle of Goalpara - which was the only holding in the county. There was a chance - if slim - that her men could find and capture the Count who was in hiding in the county.

Spoiler: His Fear Was Gone
    Show

In October the Despot woke up one morning and realized he was no longer ruled by fear.

Spoiler: A Five Year Plan
    Show

He decided his next goal was a five year plan to stay at peace and allow his Kingdom to prosper. And work on his military. He would need the five years to do so after the damage the Revolt would have done to his counties and military forces.

Spoiler: The Warring Forces By November
    Show

In November he was told that the Duchess had taken the Count's Castle but failed to find his hiding place. No matter. She headed towards her next target which was the County of Srihatta.

Spoiler: The Warring Forces Later That Month
    Show

Later that month the Count had taken the city in the County of Dimapur and was heading towards Goalpara. Funny enough the Duchess was hiding someplace in Dimapur and the Count had totally failed to find her also. At this point the horror of never-ending warfare started to enter the Despot's thoughts. The two were now TOO well matched.

Spoiler: Suddhodane's Host
    Show

On the 6th of December the Despot was looking down from one of his balconies and called to one of his servants.

"Why is there a army assembled outside my Palace?" he asked the servant.

"It seems the Suddhodane Bharuka has assembled a Host to go fight his brother to take Aksu."

The Despot was silent for a few moments and then said, "So...the sons of Taram Baruka are going to fight over the very throne she fought her brother for? Oh....how sad. Or it would be if I cared. So, what are we having for breakfast?"

Of course it meant he needed a new Spy Master. So after his breakfast he selected his Royal Builder Sivakaradeva Bhaumakara. On the 6th he had his new Mystikos post himself in Goalpara to start building a spy network. And there was a reason for that.(1)

Spoiler: The New Council
    Show

He then reopened the plot to kill the Count. And this time he planned to continue the plot till the Count was dead or captured or banished.

Spoiler: Would Somebody KILL HIM!!!
    Show

Even as the war rocked the southern part of the Kingdom he found himself helping shape his daughter - the future Queen.

Spoiler: You Can Still PRETEND To Listen To Others...
    Show

He taught her to become diligent and patient. He helped fill her with zeal for life and a rational outlook. And while they spent time together she learned to enjoy his company.

Spoiler: Patience Is Important...When Crushing Your Enemies!
    Show

One day the Sakellarios Herakleios came to the throne room and explained to the Despot that, due to the length of time they had taken to search for the artifact, that the trail had gone cold. There was no hope of finding the treasure now and the Councilor had called the search off.

Spoiler: No Artifact For the Despot
    Show

The Despot wasn't really disappointed - he had been pretty cold to the whole idea - and at least the money that had been spent on the search would now go to the coffers instead.

So we end the chapter with a brave Despot, a Princess who is developing into a better Princess, and a Host assembling on the Despot's front yard.

Author’s End Notes:

1. The only woman who could have taken the position was his wife and nobody wanted an insane Spy Master.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Chapter Sixty-Six : The Wars End

And So The Hot Steamy Siege Action Comes To An End Also

We open this chapter in March, in the year 807 AD, with the Despot being alerted to the fact that the County of Kamarupanagara was doing so well that the need for more space was increasing the value of land. The Despot ordered some land to be cleared. In fact enough was cleared for a whole new holding.(1)

Spoiler: Another Holding Is Prepared
    Show

Later that month the Count had freed his Capital County and was now marching to attack the holdings of his enemy in the County of Suvarnagram. As he did this the Duchess was halfway through the siege of the Count's castle in Srihatta.

Spoiler: The Warring Forces By March
    Show

While the Despot continued to watch the Revolt damage his southern counties he received news that the Great King Gopala II of Pala Kingdom was NOW being raided by Thakur Mahipata of Tripuri. Tough times for the early reign of the young Great King.

Spoiler: Raiders Looting The Pala Kingdom
    Show

At this point the Despot realized that the Duchess still had less men and this war could on forever before her death, or the Count's death, allowed it to end.

Spoiler: Another County Goes To The Duchess
    Show

So once again he helped her out by giving her the County of Haruppeswara. The County was a built up one, with a Silk Road Trade Post and large levies, and should help her grasp victory.

With the change in ownership the Sakellarios was asked to leave the county while the Upadhyaya was allowed to stay.(2)

Spoiler: The Sakellarios Is Sent To County Of Kundina
    Show

The Sakellarios was reassigned to continue his studies in Kundina.

By the end of May the Duchess had her new county firmly under her control and was marching her brand new levies south to join in the conflict. She had almost overcome the defenders of the Castle of the County of Srihatta.

Spoiler: The Warring Forces By May
    Show

In June the Despot was forced to do work again. For example, Nonna, daughter of his friend Kolite (who was off with her husband to invade her brother-in-law's petty kingdom) was his student. She was not his ward, he was not her guardian, but he was her teacher.

Spoiler: The Courtier And Student Nonna
    Show

He realized that he didn't want her getting too greedy for power and did his best to let her do whatever she wanted. To develop naturally.

Spoiler: The Despot Passes A New Law
    Show

He also decided to pass a law to increase his power, over the Kingdom and Vassals, slightly. They all agreed to it - not that they could refuse him. The Council had no rights to refuse any law he passed. It had no power over him or the laws he wished to pass. It was one of the reasons he was so careful, or tried to be so careful, over who he put on the Council. Of course the Baroness could turn in the favor he owed her to change that - like empowering the Council.

Spoiler: The Great King Wins His War
    Show

June also brought him the news of the end of the war between the New Great King and the Raja. The Great King had won. The Magistros was recalled from Samatata and told to work within the Capital improving relationships with local Vassals and neighboring rulers.

Spoiler: The "Raja"
    Show

The Raja Shurapala of Shantideva Raj was now nothing but a "King" in title. He had nothing but a county left to his name now.

Spoiler: New Roads For Kundina
    Show

In July the Sakellarios suggested new roads be built in Kundina. He said they were needed due to the increase of the populace using the current roadways. The Despot agreed.

By August the Duchess had taken the Castle in Srihatta and started working on overwhelming the local town.

Spoiler: The Warring Forces By August
    Show

In September her men captured the town and forced the Count to surrender himself. He was tossed into her dungeon as she reported the end of the Revolt to the Despot.

Spoiler: The Revolt Ends
    Show

"Well, now I can banish him..." The Despot stopped as the Council members looked embarrassed.

"Don't tell me I can't do anything to him?"

"Well," said Loukas the Magistro, "He is not in our dungeon. He is in a cell within the Duchess's dungeon. Also, he is still in hiding."

"Hiding?" remarked the Despot, totally confused at this point. "How can he still be in hiding when arrested by the Duchess and placed in a cell in her Castle?"

"Either way," inserted the Mystikos Sivkaradeva Bhaumakara, "we can not touch him as of yet. BUT it is also hurting him. Being in hiding AND in a dungeon cell means his relationship with his Vassals and Courtiers IS horrible. I am sure we will get him sooner or later. If the Duchess does not decide to kill him herself."

The Despot sighed and said, "Continue the plot to kill him. Even if it never works as long as he is in hiding it hurts his overall position. And Loukas?"

"Yes my liege," the Magistros replied.

"Put that fish away," the Despot demanded.

Spoiler: A Kingdom At Peace
    Show

So this chapter closes with the end of the Revolt, the Count in a cell, and the Despot watching the rest of India slowly change in front of his very eyes.

Author’s End Notes:

1. Enough land was cleared for a future castle, town, or temple.

2. Which made sense as the Baroness's temple was IN that county.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-09-02 at 05:37 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

Chapter Sixty-Seven : Peace Comes To The Kingdom

Serfs Returning To The Fields

We open this chapter in September, in the year 807 AD, and the Despot has decided to check up on his family and courtiers.

Spoiler: Prince Ioulianos
    Show

The first thing he noticed was that Prince Ioulianos had shaved his head. It seems he was now a Member of the Savaka-Sangha, like his mother before him, and the Despot felt that was a good thing. The young man was a person who loved learning and would make a very good Buddhist. Outside of the whole lusty thing.

Show

Theodosia, who his son was betrothed to, needed to have her next stage of education chosen for her. The Despot decided, due to her skills, to have her train for military strategy and war. The fact was she was not the smartest of girls and she was very depressed. Not doubt due to the fact that both parents were dead. Maybe practicing with a sword would help her? Or at least let her work out her issues on practice dummies.

Spoiler: Nonna
    Show

He also selected Nonna's second stage of education. He decided on picking the life of a warrior for her also. Knowing the history of her NEW family he figured she would need it.

Around this time his Councilors alerted him to the fact that Amritakala's husband had died under suspicious circumstances in February. It seems she had finally been able to kill him while the Despot was distracted by the Revolt. At least that was one less plot for him to worry about.(1)

Spoiler: the Spy Master Was Moved To The County Of Dimapur
    Show

At this point the Despot remembered that the Count he SO wanted to kill was in the dungeons of the Duchess. So he sent the Spy Master to Dimapur (because keeping him in the Count's Capital was useless if the Count wasn't home at the time).

Spoiler: Duchess Took The County Of Goalpara
    Show

In October the Duchess took the County of Goalpara away from the Count. He was now Count Sudas of Srihatta. The Count now hated the Duchess with a passion and wanted the county back AND still wanted the Duchy also. But with only nineteen soldiers to his name it was very doubtful he would be getting either of them back any time soon.

The Despot realized there were no backers to his plot and had to bribe the Mayor Hekrtorios of Heromdial to join it. Now he had a grand total of one backer to his plot. This was slightly depressing to the Despot.

Spoiler: The Sudas Is Dead
    Show

A day later the Duchess reported she had inherited the County of Srihatta due to Sudas being hung to death at the age of 18. This was less depressing.

Spoiler: Time To Party!
    Show

The Despot was so happy that he ordered a seasonal feast in November. This time NOBODY refused the invites to the party. He selected a necklace for his wife, as he always did.

Spoiler: Same Old Gift
    Show

While planning for the party he also recalled the Protostrator to Kamarupanagara help train the army. After all, he was no longer needed in Goalpara to arrest a dead man.

Then a Greek named Pankratios arrived in the Royal Court. The servants had overheard him talking and reported that he was a failed peasant leader. A man who revolted against his betters in Greece and had failed. No doubt that is why he fled all the way to India. He was humble but also he was ambitious.

"You are just in time my friend!" exclaimed the Despot as he greeted the man. "Just in time for we are about to have a feast! And it will be perfect to have two reasons to have the feast! One reason is we celebrate the beating back of the darkness by the light! And the other will be celebrating a wedding!"

"Whose wedding?" asked Pankratios.

"Your wedding! This is Barbara, she is the daughter of Herakleios, my Sakellarios, and Yajnavati. Your new parents-in-laws. You are now husband and wife. Kiss, enjoy the feast, have babies."

Spoiler: Surprise Wedding
    Show

The Palace was shortly ready for the guests. They were greeted with flowers and ribbons and dining halls full of food and wine and dancers.

Spoiler: Time To Start The Feast!
    Show

Then the Mage appeared. Nobody knows where he came from or who invited him. But his magically rope trick was enough to amaze and awe the guests. Of course, the Despot took full credit for it.

Spoiler: The Rope Trick
    Show

He then presented his gift necklace to his wife. She, of course, loved it. By January, at the high point of the festival, the Despot was truly feeling good about life, the universe, and everything. Sadly, as with all things, the feast came to an end. But the Despot had truly enjoyed it.

Spoiler: The Rest Of The Festival Was GREAT!
    Show

So we leave the Despot with a Kingdom at peace, a Duchess as powerful as him but as loyal as a Vassal can be, a Daughter who looked like she would be a great Queen, a son who would be a great Buddhist, and a wife who talked to her collection of necklaces.

And his two dogs, of course.

In our next chapter we will leave the Royal Court for a world tour of the known world where we once again do a countdown of the top seven military powers!

Author’s End Notes:

1. In fact the other two current plots were against people he didn't really care about so at this point he had NO plots that worried him.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

Chapter Sixty-Eight : World Tour 808 AD!

War Is Peace

So this chapter will be about the seven most powerful nations of the known world in the year 808 AD.

The first on our list is the Byzantine Empire. Basileus Niketas "The Usurper" was still in charge of the Empire. He had crushed the revolt but still had some problems to deal with. For example he had consumption. Known to us as Tuberculosis even with treatment this could not be something he could just shrug off. Both wives had died and he was in another war.

Spoiler: Byzantine Empire
    Show

At least he had almost nineteen thousand soldiers and knew how to fight with them.

For our next nation on the list we head south to the Arabian Empire. Caliph Al-Hadi "The Holy" was fighting a war against a Abbasid Revolt. With over ten thousand soldiers you would think he could handle it BUT please remember he was dull and not really a skilled warrior.

Spoiler: Arabian Empire
    Show

Still, he had survived longer than most of us would had thought. Good for him!

Now, the next nation on the list, number three, is in the same spot. The Abbasid Revolt was run by Ramadan Makkid. A man with military skills and just over five thousand soldiers.

Spoiler: Abbasid Revolt
    Show

He COULD, if all conditions were perfect, raise over seven thousand warriors.

Next we move to the southwest to Africa to visit the Sultan Mansur. With over five thousand soldiers and a good amount of gold he was doing somewhat well for such a young ruler. He even had some skills. Too bad he was in debt and his attempts to decrypt hidden truths from divine sources had gone badly.

Spoiler: Africa
    Show

He also happened to be supporting a war in Northern Spain which meant many of his men may be occupied.

So now we move north to Europe to visit Mescheravid. High Chief Putyayka "The Tenacious" ruled this tribal nation. He was a drunkard but a VERY well skilled drunkard when it came to warfare. At the moment he was defending himself against High Chief Vseslav the Young. Both sides had called in their allies and he was winning at the time. With over six thousand soldiers and all those skills you would think he would be seen a lot in the future.

Spoiler: Mescheravid
    Show

But he had a few problems. His only kid was a girl, so somebody else was to inherit his throne, and he was gay. So producing more children in the future was...slim at best.

Number six on our list is Andalusia (Spain) which was ruled by Sultan al-Qasim of the Umayyad Sultanate. He seemed, at the moment, to be doing pretty well.

Spoiler: Andalusia (Spain)
    Show

Sadly, he only had just over two thousand soldiers. Not A LOT for all the holdings and vassals he had under his rule.

And the last on our list is just across the water in Italy. King Adelchis II of Lombardy had over five thousand soldiers, eighteen vassals, and good amount of money to his name. His father, the King Unichis, had died in battle which was why the young King was now on the throne. As he was 14 years of age it is hard to say if he will be in any future lists. Or even if he will survive.

Spoiler: Lombardy
    Show

At least at the moment he was not in any wars and had no reason to be the focus of any plots. That we know of.

So that is the list. You may notice that none of those powerhouses were from India. Does that leave India open to outside invasions? Or will the Despot and his offspring use that to THEIR advantage?

So join us next time readers when we return to India and insert ourselves back into the Despot's Royal Court. But for now I will blow out the oil lamp, carefully close the book, and put away my ink.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Chapter Sixty-Nine : Long Term Planning

A New Wife

We open this chapter with a most interesting move by the Despot. He sent the Magistros Loukas to Pundravardhana. The county was a jungle filled landscape owned by the Rajkumar Vijaysingha of the Pala Kingdom. And it was part of the Silk Road. A valuable piece of property. The Magistros was sent to fabricate a claim.

A wonderful prize to win in the next war. But also somewhat daring if the Great King finds out.

Spoiler: Another Tiger Hunt
    Show

Knowing that such deeds would take years the Despot announced another Tiger Hunt in January. Two of his Vassals refused to come. The Baron Ratnapala of Nalrajar Garh and the Mayor Stuarakios of Pragyotisapara.

Spoiler: Two Spoil Sports
    Show

Soon the Despot, with his elephants and his attendants and his dogs and his guards and his cooks and his hunters and his retainers, had packed up and marched to the hunting camp.

Spoiler: Getting To The hunting Camp
    Show

It only took them a day to set up the tents, put out the guards to protect the camp, cook the evening meals, and prepare for the hunt to begin by sending out the scouts and hunters.

Spoiler: A Tiger Found!
    Show

Within just over a week a tiger was found. It took the party by surprise but was easily taken down by the soldiers armed with long spears. The Despot was very pleased and enjoyed dinner that night with many toasts to the soldiers. Many barrels of good wine were emptied and a few roasted wild boars feasted on.

Spoiler: A Dead Duchess
    Show

The Despot decided to stay in the area for a few weeks longer to search for more tigers or any wild game that could be found. So on the 25th of February he was surprised when a letter came to him announcing that the Duchess Lasani of Dimapurid Raj had died a natural death. Of course he got all her titles.

While pondering what to do with the extra Duchy title he received another surprise via another letter. His wife, at the age of 55, had died from the Great Pox.

Spoiler: A New Queen
    Show

The Despot had been ready for that. He knew she was not long for this world, due to her age and insanity, and had already thought of a replacement. Before the end of the day he was happily married to his new wife - Pavlina of the Wild.

Spoiler: End Of The Hunt
    Show

So the Despot came home with another tiger skin and a new wife. He just had to decide what to do with the new Duchy title. He knew his Vassals would not be happy about him having three Duchy titles.

He had barely had time to unpack when news came that the White Tiger had been spotted again! It had been seen in the County of Kundina. A somewhat wild, dangerous county, he still decided to go hunting it. He ordered his hunting gear prepared, his best horses readied, his hunting dogs well fed, and a basket of yummy sandwiches made.

Spoiler: The White Tiger Is Sighted!
    Show

As he waited for these things to be done he invited a lowborn female named Hira to his Royal Court. Sadly, while he was able to give her the title of Court Musician the lawyers said she could not become a Duchess.

Spoiler: Hira
    Show

So he invited another female lowborn named Pertal to the Royal Court. And while he could make her his Cupbearer the lawyers would not allow him to make her the Duchess either.

Spoiler: Pertal
    Show

"I don't understand what is going on!" he complained to his new wife. "They allowed me to pick a lowborn woman last time!"

His wife agreed that lawyers were a weird bunch. They used a strange language, tied pieces of clothe around their necks, and liked to have liquid lunches.

"Why not pick somebody within the Kingdom who you know CAN own land?" she suggested. "Somebody who you KNOW is loyal."

The Despot thought about it and then smiled.

The Baroness was made the Countess of Dimapur and then the Duchess Para-Lauhitya. Being already on the Council, and having an I.O.U. from the Despot, she was already a powerful Vassal to start with. Giving her more land and troops would not change that. But she had also proven herself to be loyal over the decades. Better yet she had no family and was too old to have children.

Spoiler: The Baroness Got An Upgrade
    Show

In April the Despot called the Spy Master back to Kamarupanagara. There was no need to watch or plot against his new Duchess.

Spoiler: The Books Look Good
    Show

In April his accountants, reviewing the books, pointed out that his yearly income was now around 130 some gold coins.

Spoiler: Getting Ready To Hunt The White Tiger
    Show

By May he was almost ready for the hunt. Even while selecting what colored hunting cape to wear and which pair of boots he wanted to take he received news from the Pala Kingdom. Seemed Mayor Susarman of Sutrapur had been burnt at the stake by Maharaja Gopala II.

Spoiler: Witch Burning?
    Show

"Like Father Like Son," the Despot wrote in his private papers. "What kind of madness does that bloodline hold that they enjoy burning people to death?"

Soon he was off, with his dogs and followers and packed meals, he searched the country for the White Tiger. Soon he came upon a lone rider, a Greek like himself, who was also hunting the same animal. They were both having the same bad luck.

Spoiler: Dionysios Is Invited To Court
    Show

In the end the Despot invited the man to join his court. Dionysios the Hunter agreed.

By June he returned to his court failing to have found the White Tiger. But at least he had gained a truly interesting new Courtier. AND he had found the county bandit-free. Finally.

Spoiler: Still Did Not Find The White Tiger
    Show

Dionysios the Hunter was a lowborn Greek Buddhist with some pretty nice skills. True, he was lusty but was that REALLY a sin? And a tad lazy. But he was brave, trusting, and content. And a decent warrior.

Spoiler: Dionysios The Hunter
    Show

The Despot decided he would make a good husband for his daughter who was ALMOST of age.

Spoiler: Future Wedding Planned
    Show

So he arranged a matrilineal betrothal between the two. His daughter would lose some prestige by marrying a commoner but she would easily earn it back before becoming Queen. And it made the Despot happy to know he had found a good husband for her.

So we close the chapter with the Despot gaining a young wife, a new loyal Duchess, another tiger skin, and a future son-in-law. And planning a future war with the new Great King.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

Chapter Seventy : School Daze

The Despot's School Bell

We open this chapter in June, of the year 808 AD, with the Despot ordering the construction of Barracks in his Palace in Kamarupanagara.

Spoiler: Building Barracks In Kamarupanagara
    Show

This was followed by him noticing that he had two empty positions for the Commanders of the armed forces. So he selected Dipankar Kalodayesoya and Prabhase Buddhatalasoya as new Commanders. They were somewhat cool towards him but at least they seemed to know which end of a sword to hold.

Spoiler: Two New Commanders
    Show

Then in late June his daughter came of age. She had become a schemer. Records showed that Arminestra Dysnomia was chaste, patient, dutiful and shrewd. Yet it was said she was also very frail. She was, of course, married to the Hunter. The marriage to a lowborn hurt her prestige greatly but her father was right when he knew that she would quickly gain prestige back, and then some, well before she was crowned Queen.

Spoiler: Princess Arminestra Dysnomia
    Show

On the 23rd of August Nikodemos and Damayanti gave birth to a new baby girl named Mahidevi. He suggested she learn about being a Courtier - focusing on service and humility.

Spoiler: Mahidevi
    Show

He noticed her older sister, Kakanvati, needed a new teacher. Otherwise she might become Christian. So he took her away from her father and handed her over to Loukas.

Spoiler: Kakanvati
    Show

In September he realized he needed to go through the young Courtiers and assign them all to proper Greek teachers. So two children were handed over to the blind Isaakios, a child is assigned to Herakleios, and two kids were assigned to the young Dionysios. Even Prince Ioulianos was assigned a child to educate.

Spoiler: Six Children Need New Teachers
    Show

The irony was that most of the girls were sisters to the Ex-Count Sudas.

He also noticed one child, Caiytiska Prabhasesoya, was 5 years old and yet nobody had selected his educational pathway yet. The Despot told the parents to teach him about Buddhism.

Spoiler: Caitytiska
    Show

In October Castle Walls had been finished in Srihatta. No doubt a project started by the late Duchess as he had not ordered them.

Spoiler: Castle Walls In Srihatta
    Show

In late October he was totally confused by the news he received from one of the messengers.

Spoiler: Somavamis War To Make Maharaja Traillokyachandra Of Bihar Pay Tribute
    Show

"Could you repeat that piece of information?" asked the Despot.

"Of course my liege," said the messenger. He held up the scroll, cleared his throat, and said in his clearest voice, "The Raja Dharmarstha of Somavamis Raj has declared Somavamis War to make Maharaja Traillokyachandra of Bihar pay tribute on Maharaja Traillokyachandra of Bihar."

The Despot tilted his head and said, "So the war is called The Somavamsi War To Make Maharaja Traillokyachandra of Bihar Pay Tribute?"

"Yes my liege," remarked the messenger.

The Despot frowned and added, "Seems a tad long winded. For a second there I thought you were saying the Raja was declaring war on the Maharaja to force him to pay tribute to himself."

The Despot also ordered the building of a Castle Town at Numaligarh - the second castle in the County of Haruppeswara.

Spoiler: Building A Castle Town In Numaligarh
    Show

In November the Despot found Nonna had become a young woman who had NOT done very well when it came to her military education. Still, his Councilor Loukas needed a new wife and she fit the bill. In that she was young and available.

Spoiler: Nonna Marries
    Show

In fact he noticed that the Councilor's surviving kid from his first wife needed a direction for her education and the Despot suggested philosophy and religion.

Show

Later in November the Despot's blind doctor died. Before starting the search to find a new one the Despot first had to find new teachers for the children who had been under the Physician's care.

Spoiler: Assigning The Ex-Doctor's Students To New Teachers
    Show

The two girls were split between his son and his wife. After that THEN he sent out riders to search for a new Court Physician.

Spoiler: Send Out The Scouts!
    Show

Soon the riders would bring back a report about a pilgrim. Known as Serapion he had been on a quest to visit all the Buddhist holy sites and was now ending his journey.

Spoiler: A Skill Pilgrim Is Found
    Show

It is said during his travels he had gained a vast knowledge of medicine and was seeking to put his skills to use. Of course the Despot recruited him.

Spoiler: Silk Road Trade Post Finished In Haruppeswara
    Show

Before the new Court Physician had arrived the Despot received news that the Silk Road Trade Post had been completed in Haruppeswara. Funny, he thought there had already been one there?

When the Serapion entered the Royal Court he was greeted by his new wife, Tarma, mother of the late Count Sudas and a hunchback to boot.

Spoiler: Nothing As Nice As A Surprise Wife
    Show

In December the Despot was surprised to find three new children in his Court. A boy and his two sisters. They had fled from Greece - no doubt due to them being of the wrong Christian Sect. Of course he ended up their teacher.

Spoiler: Surprise Children?
    Show

By now the Despot had decided to put down the bow and arrow. He no longer needed to prove himself in hunting and decided to focus on family for the moment. His family wasn't that big but he wanted to make sure it held together.

Spoiler: Making Family First
    Show

We close this chapter with the Despot driving the Palace nuts as each morning, after breaking his fast, he rang his "school bell". He used this device to call the many children under his care to one of the rooms he had put aside as a "classroom" to educate them on whatever subject he decided to talk about that day. The room was full of maps and scrolls and books and tables and chairs. He taught them what he could about reading, writing, and basic math. He also touched on the importance of Greek culture, the Greatness of Buddha, and to always obey the Despot.

OOC Note: That school bell is mine. My Mom was a teacher and, while never teaching in a one-room school house, she had lived in Michigan where many of such schools could still be found. Or at least their ruins. She found this school bell and would ring it to bring us to dinner. It is VERY VERY VERY loud.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

Chapter Seventy-One : A Displacement Kingdom

Greek Refugees?

We open this chapter with the Despot receiving more religious refugees from Greece in the form of three men. Two were Iconoclasts and one was a Orthodox. The Despot just added them to the rest of the Greek Freeloaders and didn't even bother to find them wives.

Spoiler: More Greeks Without Gifts
    Show

"I do wish they would go elsewhere," mumbled the Depot to himself. "Don't they have someplace else to go? Wasn't there Orthodox Christians in Africa?"

By March the Despot noticed his children were not doing well together and he decided to invite them both to share time with him and his wife. Family time, in other words. In the end it seemed to work.(1)

Spoiler: Get Along Or ELSE!
    Show

It came to his attention that his future daughter-in-law was in need of his guidance. He decided to let her decide her own fate. In other words, he wanted her to keep being dull and harmless.

Spoiler: Ambitous Goals Are For The MAIN Branch Of The Family
    Show

After all, she was going to be the wife of her son who was NOT going to own land or do anything important. If she became ambitious she might try to put her husband in power and nobody wanted THAT.

Two Greek males showed up in Court in April and both were Buddhists. The Despot married both quickly. In fact a tad too quickly as one was married into the court of a different ruler.

Spoiler: Oops...
    Show

On the 24th of April he also noticed that the Palace's Barracks had finally been finished. Which slightly increased the amount of men he had. It was slight but still a good step in the right direction.

In May a rumor reached the Despot that his Duchess was now called "The Unready" for some reason. And she had become stressed under the pressures of her new titles.

Spoiler: Duchess "The Unready"
    Show

Then in June his network of spies and agents in other courts pointed out a change in the map of India.

It looked like the Great King Traillokyachandra of Bihar had loss control of a part of his realm. A big part of it was now an independent realm under the control of the Raja Pratanarayan "The Old."

Traillokyachandra was the son of the late Concubine Devavati - the woman the old Queen had given to the Great King Dharmapala. Turns out the boy HAD become a problem after all. By splitting the Pala Kingdom he had weakened one of the most powerful nations in India. Then he turned out not to be powerful enough to keep HIS piece of the Kingdom from also splitting.

Spoiler: Things Falling Apart...Some More
    Show

In the end his struggle for power within the family had made it easier for future conquest of those regions. From within or from without.

On top of the war he was having with the Raja he was also involved in a second war with a different realm AND a small revolt.

"Well, well, well," said the Despot. "Looks like the map on the wall will need to be redone. Again."

Author’s End Notes:

1. Records suggest he locked everybody in a room together and refused to let anybody out till they all loved each other.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Chapter Seventy-Two : Aksu - The Other Greek Court

Nothing Like A Feast To Fill The Belly

We open this chapter in June as the Despot finds out that Suddhodane Bharuka had failed to take over Aksu and, in fact, was now a Courtier to his brother the Count. Which meant he was now a nobody. Without rank, without land, or even one soldier to his name.

Spoiler: Courtier Suddhodane Bharuka Of Aksu
    Show

"Boy," said the Despot on hearing this. "I bet he wished he had stayed here. With a nice position, comfortable housing, and respect."

In July his Protostrator had discovered a man of such great military talent that he hinted that maybe this new man, named Ioustinianos, should replace one of the other Commanders.

Spoiler: A New Commander
    Show

The Despot agreed! Commander Indrapala was replaced with the new Commander Ioustinianos.

In September the Despot noticed that Baron Ratnapala didn't dislike his liege as much as he normally did. In fact he was slightly warm towards the Despot. The Despot decided to give the Baron the title of Seneschal in the hopes of increasing the Vassal's opinion of him slightly.

Spoiler: The Baron Is Awarded A Nice Title
    Show

In October the Despot announced the Festival of Light! Riders were sent out with the invites and nobody turned them down. Everybody decided to come to the feast. The Despot was pleased.

Spoiler: Let's Have A Festival Of Light
    Show

Wanting to impress his new wife he selected a necklace. He hoped that she preferred jewels to perfume.

Spoiler: A Necklace Seems Best
    Show

Soon the Palace was ready. The cooks had prepared a wonderful menu, the attendants were dressed in their finest, and the guests had started to arrive.

Spoiler: Foods, Folks, And Fun!
    Show

The Mage arrived again. Once again nobody knows who invited him though the Despot took credit. He did the same rope trick but it was still impressive as nobody knew how he did it.

Spoiler: How DOES He Do That?
    Show

Afterwards he gave his wife the gift of a necklace and she was happy to receive it.

Spoiler: The Wife's Gift
    Show

As his wife was checking out her new gift in a mirror and guests were enjoying the wine and cheese he was dragged away from the party by the Council. It seemed that Euphrasia Toxias was plotting to kill Theodoros Toxias.

Spoiler: A Horrible Aunt
    Show

“Theodoros Toxias?” commented the Despot. “The boy with his two sisters? Sounds like she is a relation.”

“Yes, my liege,” said the Spy Master Sivakarade Bhaumakara. “She is their aunt.”

“How can she plot his death all the way from Greece?” demanded the Despot.

“She isn’t in Greece,” said Loukas. He moved to the wall map and tapped a hand onto the realm of Aksu. “The children came from the court of Count Anktsas. That is where their mother, Eudoxia “The Unfaithful”, is. It seems likely they were all refugees from Greece who settled in Aksu. Then something happened and the mother sent the children here. Think of them as re-gifted refugees.”

“Ha. Ha. Very funny,” said the Despot. “Keep an eye on it. I don’t want him or his sisters killed. They will make good breeding stock for future generations.”

The Despot returned the guests in time to be there during the darkest time of the feast. By the time the party came to an end he had truly enjoyed himself.

Spoiler: And The Party Comes To An End
    Show

He was also happy his second wife had enjoyed her first Diwali with her first husband.

So we close the chapter with the Kingdom in peace, a happy Royal Family, Vassals who were somewhat behaved, and a India which was collapsing in on itself.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Chapter Seventy-Three : A Cowardly Tiger

Come Back HERE!

We open this chapter in January, in the year 810 AD, as the news of his wife's pregnancy spread throughout the Kingdom.

Spoiler: Another Child!
    Show

As the Despot celebrated the coming of a new child he received news that the Great King Gopala II was now in a war. It seemed another Great King, Indrayudha, was attacking him in a Subjugation War.

Spoiler: A Truly Great War!
    Show

While the attacking Great King had more men and money the Great King Gopala DID have better military skills. Still, warfare seemed to be about chance as much as skill and numbers, so the Despot wasn’t willing to bet on who was going to win.

Spoiler: Not A Very Good Student
    Show

In March Kale Toxias came of age. Sadly, her education had failed to produce a good diplomat. Even as she was coming of age he was asked to help direct her education one last time. He tried to make her become more diligent but even that failed. What he had on his hands was a fussy, semi-educated, overeating, untrustworthy lesbian who was of the wrong religion. And very strong.

Spoiler: A Wishful Marriage
    Show

So of course he married her to Dipankar Kalodayesoya. His hope was they would produce little Greek Buddhists. Before the husband died from cancer.

Spoiler: Leave Her Alone
    Show

In April his Spy Master told him that he had evidence he could use on the Duchess. Of course the Despot decided NOT to use it. He trusted her and even polite blackmail was still blackmail and would do more damage than good in her case.

Spoiler: Stress Free Life
    Show

By now his hunting dog had really brought him joy and he found one day that his stress was gone. In fact he was in such a good mood that he announced a Tiger Hunt!

Spoiler: A Tiger Hunt!
    Show

Nobody refused to come this time and by mid-April the Despot with his soldiers and servants and tents and elephants and dogs and hunters were putting up camp. Cooking fires had to be started, guards stationed to protect the camp from wild creatures, and equipment unpacked.

Spoiler: Setting Up Camp
    Show

One day, after days of searching, the hunters came back to the main party. They had found a tiger. The Despot decided to kill it himself. He was given a spear and went off on his own in the thick underbrush.

Spoiler: A Time To Kill
    Show

When he found the big cat he prepared to hit it with the spear. He waited for just the right moment to throw it as the tiger approached. But somehow the tiger sensed something was wrong, turned about, and fled.

Spoiler: Time To Flee
    Show

The Despot returned back to the hunting party having failed to kill the tiger. He had lost great face by failing. He had no idea why the tiger had fled. Had it smelled him? Heard his movement? Seen light reflect off the spear point?

Spoiler: The Tiger Was Scared Of Me...Really!
    Show

By the time the party returned to the Palace in May the Despot was trying to put a spin on the failure. He was suggesting to anybody who would listen that the tiger had sensed how awesomely awesome the Despot had been and fled. Nobody believed it. They assumed he had stepped on a stick or something. He lost even more face when the hunters and soldiers and servants spread the news to the county peasants and farmers and boatmen.

So we close the chapter with the Despot as a failed educator and a failed hunter. But at least he was no longer stressed and he had another child on the way.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

Chapter Seventy-Four : Royal Babies And Distant Courts

More Babies!

We open this chapter in August, in the year 810 AD, as the Despot is told two of the courtiers needed to have their second stage of their education selected. Seems their guardians or educators had neglected to select their pathway.

Faramarz Sangramazk was put on the path to becoming a scholar while his sister, Chat, was set on the pathway to become a diplomat.

Spoiler: The Sangramazk Kids
    Show

“Really dreadful to neglect such a duty,” said the Despot. “Their guardians or teachers should be lectured.”

“Yes my liege,” said one of the attendants. “But you do know YOU are Chat’s educator?”

“Oh...”

Spoiler: Becoming Greek? I Really Think SO!
    Show

Later that month the Despot heard that one of the courtiers was becoming GREEK which was a good thing in his book. The more Greek Buddhists the better!

His future daughter-in-law finally came of age - and turned into a wonderful master of war! The perfect wife for a devoted Buddhist.

Spoiler: Dull Daughter-In-Law
    Show

Too bad she was a stupid, depressed, food loving wife. Not that there was anything wrong with enjoying food. His wife also seemed to enjoy a extra meal here and there.

Spoiler: Nande Euphemiosoya
    Show

A new courtier was born to his court, birthed by Euphemios Tati and his wife Tati Issapaketkacer. The boy was named Nande. It was a safe bet to suggest the boy learn about his Greek background and about Buddha as his father, who was also his teacher, was a Greek Buddhist.

The Despot also tried to help Euphemia Toxias who was angry a lot. This was understandable when you take into account she was a stranger in a strange land and her aunt was trying to kill her brother. The Despot tried to help her overcome this issue and whatever he did worked.

Spoiler: Euphemia Toxias
    Show

He also noticed she was 12 and now needed her second stage of education to be selected. He decided she would make a good diplomat now that she had control of her temper.

Spoiler: Future Diplomat?
    Show

In September his new wife gave birth to Kale Dysnomia. Even as a baby she was a beauty. The Despot decided she needed to learn about Buddhism.

Spoiler: Princess Kale Dysnomia
    Show

The Despot planned to see if he could steer her into some kind of religious life. Her older brother seemed to be going in that direction on his own. Maybe, if he got enough coin, the Despot could build a temple for one of them to run.

In October Ioanna, one of his students and the youngest daughter of Amritakala the murderous mother, needed some guidance. In other words she needed some advice from the Despot. This time his advice totally failed to change a student's ways.

Spoiler: Ioanna
    Show

As she was 14 years old he also, belatedly, selected her next stage of education. He decided the adventurous life of a accountant was the life for her. Which would keep her far away from daggers, poisons, and assassins.

Spoiler: Amiritakala - The Religious Leader?
    Show

The Despot asked about what had happened to Amiritakala now that her plot was no longer active. It seems Amiritakala had become the Upadhyaya of the Bihar Revolt and harbored no ill will towards the Despot. Still a dangerous loony but a well skilled loony all the same. The Despot planned to keep out of her way from now on.

Spoiler: The Hiding Duchess
    Show

His own Upadhyaya was stressed and in hiding for some unknown reason. The woman was, sadly, starting to look her age. The Despot was a LITTLE worried about her having a Heir but he assumed that the man was the Heir to her Barony. Not to the Duchy. He hoped.

Then he was notified that one of his courtiers, Marzpanate of Turtam, had a weak claim on Urabo. The Despot COULD help him win that claim if he wished.

Spoiler: To Help Or Not To Help?
    Show

“Hmmm,” said the Despot to himself as he met his Council. “So if I back his guy’s claim he becomes the ruler of Urabo. Which means he either becomes one of my Vassals and I end up having to defend this far off land. Or he breaks off as a independent ruler and I get nothing for all my time and dead soldiers. Is that right?”

“Yes my liege,” replied the Council.

“Get my best paper and the finest ink,” commanded the Despot. “And write one big NOPE on it. Then carefully fold it, seal it with wax, and send it to him. With some flowers. Don‘t want to seem rude.”

Then in November the Despot became a Grandfather. Dionysios “The Hunter” and Princess Arminestra gave birth to a baby boy they named Andronikos.

Spoiler: A Grandson!
    Show

The Despot, pleased by the name of the new baby, suggested he learn about etiquette and courteous behavior from the members of the court.

In his private papers he did point out the problem that while the boy was their first child if they later had a daughter, even if she was the second, third, or fourth child, she would still be the next ruler after her mother. The boy, in the end, was unlikely to rule the realm.

So we close this chapter with two new members of the Royal Family and the Despot trying to keep out of foreign affairs.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

Chapter Seventy-Five : A Moat And A Mayor

Humbug!

We open this chapter in November, in the year 810 AD, with Despot Andronikos looking down from one of his balconies. "Didn't we build a moat already? I thought we had a moat?"

"You built a wall, my liege, and a moat," pointed out one of his servants. "See. The moat is right there."

"Oh....the one those kids are swimming in? That's too small. We need a bigger moat," the Despot said aloud.

Spoiler: Need A Bigger Moat
    Show

He ordered that his people start working on a bigger moat. It would cost 69.40 gold coins, which was cheap compared to other projects, and would be finished in about half a year.

Later that month Despot asked for his Council to give him a picture of what the two "Great Kings" were up to.

Spoiler: Great King Gopala II
    Show

The Great King Gopala II of Pala Kingdom was losing his war against the Great King Tejapala. In fact he was fighting two Great Kings. It was easy to see who would be losing in the end. He would.

Spoiler: Great King Traillokyachandra
    Show

The Great King Traillokyachandra of Bihar was in THREE wars and winning only one of them. Take into account his army of just over three hundred soldiers and you can see he was doomed to be defeated. Likely he would lose all three wars.

In December a man approached the gates of the Palace. He announced himself as a Great Warrior, named Kyriakos, and offered to become a Champion of the Despot.

Spoiler: A Man Named Kyriakos
    Show

He promised to always defend the Despot's household if the Liege took him into his retinue. The Despot decided to do so and the man joined his court.

It was brought to his attention that Theodoros Toxias needed his guidance and the Despot decided to direct the boy away from becoming ambitious. The Despot didn't want ANOTHER rival and thought that giving a peasant ambitions was just kind of cruel. After all, he was lowborn scum. He was nothing but a Freeloader, another breeder, for the court. Why give him hope?

Spoiler: Theodoros Toxias
    Show

By 811 AD the Duchess had come out of hiding. But while she was still loyal she was also still stressed. The Despot was worried about her - a little - and wished there was some way to help her.

Spoiler: The Duchess Comes Out Of Hiding
    Show

In March it was announced that the Manichean faith had replaced the Zoroastrian faith. This had as much impact as announcing that waffles had replaced pancakes on the breakfast menu. In other words no impact what-so-ever.

Spoiler: The Manichean Faith?!?!
    Show

Also the Despot woke up one day and said to himself, "Humbug!" He decided that mankind, on a whole, was horrible and he planned to keep his funds to himself. If those orphans wanted money they would work in the fields like everybody else.

Spoiler: BA! Humbug!
    Show

In April the Despot was notified that Mayor Basudevnayaran was visiting his County of Suvarnagram. The man was a agent of Thakur Madanpal of Bikrampur. It seems that the Mayor was there to help his liege to claim the county! And Thakur Madanpal was a vassal of the Great King Gopala II of Pala Kingdom.

Spoiler: A Scheming Agent!
    Show

The Despot ordered him to be "dealt" with. This was dangerous because the assassin would fail or be found out. Though to be honest the Despot was not impressed by the Great King Gopala II.

While waiting for the man's death the Despot was told his new, bigger, moat was finished!

Spoiler: A Upgraded Moat
    Show

Shortly after that the Mayor was found dead. All the public knew was the man had died under suspicious circumstances but nothing had been linked to the Despot and his own men.

Spoiler: A Dead Mayor
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Despot having a bigger moat, a dead Mayor, and having less love for the smelly common folks.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

Chapter Seventy-Six : Pride And Party

Sin Of Pride

We open this chapter in May, in the year 811 AD, with multiple events happening at once.

First, records show that the Despot had become proud. It seems that he had gotten it into his head that he was great and deserved praise and respect from everyone and everything. In other words he had become a jerk.

Spoiler: I Am So GREAT!
    Show

At the same time he noticed that two of his children were not getting along as they should and once again forced them to have "family time". Once again, it seemed to work.

Spoiler: Family Time!
    Show

In July he noticed that the Duchess was trying to take it easy. It was working kind of as her health improved but her work was neglected. He was starting to doubt that she had been a good choice for the title after all but hindsight is always perfect.

Spoiler: Take It Easy
    Show

It was also brought to his attention that Chat Sangramazk needed guidance and he guided her away from being ambitious. Once again he felt it would be cruel to allow a peasant to think they could reach greatness. Nobody could be as great as him so why bother?

Spoiler: Moving On Up? Nope.
    Show

In August he noticed that Chat's older brother, Ananta Sangramazk, had become an adult. In fact he had been an adult for about four years at this point. The Despot thought of the children as the "Dead Beat Dad Offspring" and decided to leave them alone once they became old enough to make their own decisions.(1)

Spoiler: Ananta Sangramazk
    Show

Later in August, once again, Chat needed guidance and this time the Despot gave her some. He encouraged her need to explore and experiment. Which meant she became very shrewd in the end.

Spoiler: Chat The Shrewd
    Show

At this point he noticed that the girl’s younger brother had turned 16 and had become a man. Once again the Despot decided on a “hands off” policy on the Sangramazk family.

Spoiler: Hungry Men
    Show

Like the boy’s older brother his early childhood had been hard and he was always stuffing his face full of food. It was as if the men of the family feared that the food supply would suddenly disappear and they needed to build up their fat reserves.

In late August some important news leaked over the border. It was almost a whisper - there was no big announcements about it. Yet it was important enough to please the Despot. The Great King of Gopala II of Pala Kingdom had lost his war with Ayudha! This must have REALLY hurt the Great King whose military was now less than a thousand.

Spoiler: Pala Lost?
    Show

The Great King Tejapala of Ayudha Kingdom on the other had still had a large military and a larger treasury. Though the current age of Tejapala did confuse the Despot a tad. Had THIS Great King started the war or had he taken it over for his father? The Despot could not remember who had been in charge of the Ayudha Kingdom when the war started and was too lazy to check the historical records.

In September he introduced his two friends together and they got along just fine. This pleased him greatly.

Spoiler: Friends
    Show

The Despot announced, in October, to have the Festival of Light! As the eight riders with the eight invites rode out of the Palace the Despot made the decision to give his wife a necklace. Girls just loved shiny things.

Spoiler: Festival Of Lights
    Show

While the event was being prepared for the Despot was told that his Five Year Plan had been fulfilled. Now he needed to decide on another long term goal. His wife suggested he deal with his over-bloated ego.

Spoiler: The End Of The Five Year Plan
    Show

“My ego is not over-bloated!” said the Despot as he checked out himself in a small handheld mirror he had taken to carrying everywhere. “Which reminds me, should I wear my cherry red colored velvet cape to the feast or my green apple colored velvet cape to the feast? I need to make sure EVERYBODY knows how good my fashion sense is. After all I take great pride in my appearance and so should everyone else.”

“You do so have a ego issue,” stated the Queen. “You kept me up last night asking me to help you with the next poem you were writing. The one about how lovely your thumbs are and how people need to worship them?”

“But thumbs are wonderful!” stated the Despot. “Without them I can’t hold up my mirror to check out how great I look! Just look at them! Look at them!” He wiggled his thumbs at his wife.

“While I agree thumbs are a wonderful thing,” replied the Queen trying to calm him down, “I still think you need to do something about your pride.”

“Okay, okay,” mumbled the Despot as he put on his third cape and looked in the handheld mirror. “Tell me, what do you think about the purple plum colored velvet cape? It matches my purple plum riding boots.”

Spoiler: Rejecting Pride
    Show

Later that day he was shocked to receive three letters from three of his Vassals stating they could not come. He was a tad worried about that. That was a large number of vassals refusing to come to a party where they could get free food and booze.

Spoiler: Three Refusals
    Show

On the other hand it was only one Baron and two Mayors. Not like they were powerful enough to take the Despot on. But it still worried him and did nothing to help with his stress.

By the ides of October the castle was ready to receive guests. The cooks had prepared a wonderful feast and all the servants were wearing their wonderful new capes the Despot had purchased for them.

Spoiler: Party Time!
    Show

The few Vassals who came were greeted with platters of food and entertained with jesters. When it was time to hand out the gifts the Queen was very pleased with her necklace. The party was a wonderful affair but in November the Despot was pulled away from the party. He was worried that the Council was about to give him bad news but this time it was good news.

Spoiler: Three Counties Doing Well
    Show

It seems that the Counties of Haruppeswara, Kamatapur, and Kundina (all counties along the Silk Road) were prospering. The Five Year Plan of peace had really helped develop the more developed parts of his Kingdom. The Despot returned to the party with a happy heart and a need for more wine!

Spoiler: Time To Go Folks!
    Show

Soon it was time to light the candles and lamps and fires. The guests celebrated the light defeating the dark with lots of roasted meats, sweet puddings, strong wines, and long poems from the Despot about the wonders of his thumbs. The best way to celebrate! But all parties come to an end and so did this one. By mid-November the guests had to leave and the servants had to clean up.

So we close this chapter with a happy, if a tad too proud, Despot looking forward to the future and what wonderful things it would bring him.

Author’s End Notes:

1. Ananta Sangrmazk, like his father and brother, was always hungry having come from a region where food had been scarce.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Chapter Seventy-Seven : Children And Temptation

Sin Of Lust

We open this chapter on the 14th of November, during the year of 811 AD, with the Despot busy in his private quarters hard at work. Mostly going over the court's records of all the children in his care or the care of other educators. He needed to suggest or approve their continued education which meant a lot of reading and signing his names on a lot of paperwork.

Spoiler: So Much Paperwork
    Show

He tried to do his best to make sure each child was given the best education he could pick for them, no matter who they were related to or where they had come from. He wanted future Courtiers to be as skilled as they could be. They would be the movers and shakers of any future plans. Commanders and Spies and Scholars.

Spoiler: I'm In the Money
    Show

Later that month he asked his accountants for a run down of the Kingdom and the resulting report was heart warming. The Castle Towns and the Buddhist Monks were really contributing to his coffers. The other Vassals were not as forth coming with their coins but the Trade really helped balance that out. He was making over 150 gold coins a year!(1)

In March, of the year 812 AD, Ioanna came of age. Her education had worked perfectly and she had turned out to be a very well balanced woman. She was somewhat cruel and lusty but she was also temperate, diligent, and charitable.

Spoiler: Ioanna
    Show

To be honest the Despot find himself somewhat attracted to her. She even seemed to like him. He suggested she become Buddhist and she agreed.

Spoiler: A New Buddhist
    Show

As he pondered his interest in her a baby girl was born to Serapion and Tarma named Nikoletta. She was a Greek Buddhist which was wonderful. And like her mother she was a hunchback! The Despot suggested she study her heritage. Funny enough this girl was also a half-sister to the late Count Sudas. What a world.

Spoiler: Nikoletta
    Show

Then he went back to thinking about Ioanna. She WOULD make a good concubine. But...

While he had taken a concubine before Pavlina of the Wilds had also been his lover. And had become his second wife. Both of them enjoyed matters of the bed but they also loved each other very much.

True, he had married his first wife, Lilavati, for her skills and talents but even then they had grown to love each other.

So taking such a young woman for his concubine without even a emotional link felt wrong. No matter how much his body said it was so RIGHT.

Anyway, she was also the youngest daughter of Amritakala. And in the end the Despot didn't want to have anything to do with that family. There was something WRONG with them. Even the eldest daughter had tried, many times, to help her mother kill her own father.(2)

Spoiler: Lust Lost...
    Show

So he married the young woman off to the Courtier Ioustinianos.

So we end the chapter with the Despot taking a cold milk bath and trying to think non-sexy thoughts.

Author’s End Notes:

1. For comparison Queen Arminestra "The Cruel" was bringing in just over 51 gold coins in 771 AD (See Chapter Eight).

2. Many historians believe that the Despot was of the opinion that insanity ran in the family.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-09-23 at 05:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show