New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Road of Queens - CKII India AAR

Crusader Kings 2 - The Road of Queens
    Chapter Seventy-Eight : Another Tiger, A Catholic, And A Brawl

What's A Catholic?

We open this chapter in March, of the year 812 AD, when the Despot announced a tiger hunt.

Spoiler: Another Tiger Hunt! WEEEEEE!
    Show

He just felt like he needed to get out of the Palace and away from the swarming children that seemed to have taken over his Court.

Spoiler: Two Refused To Come
    Show

Only two Vassals refused to come along on the hunt. They had "business" to take care of. By April the party was on its way. The Despot with his soldiers and hunters and cooks and servants and entertainers and elephants soon arrived at the camp site.

Spoiler: Setting Up Camp
    Show

They took all day setting up the tents, cooking the evening meals over the hot fires, and making sure the hunting camp was secure.

Spoiler: A Big Cat Is Spotted!
    Show

Almost two weeks later the scouts reported that they had found a tiger. The Despot this time decided to bring soldiers. He did so because he remembered that he was not just a Warrior but a Ruler. Yes, bravery was important but so was being smart. If his men could surround it then it couldn't flee like last time.

Spoiler: Come BACK Here!
    Show

The soldiers tried to encircle the tiger but this tactic also failed. The big cat somehow sensed the trap and fled. Some of the soldiers gave chase but came back empty-handed.

The Despot realized at this point that luck may play a larger part of life then he had thought it had. Once again the hunt had failed.

Still, as the party started to pack up the tents and beds and pots and tables and portable hot tub the Despot received a letter from his wife. He had another Grandson, named Nikodemos Dysnomia, born to Dionysios "The Hunter" and Princess Arminestra.

Spoiler: Another Grandson
    Show

As the boy was NOT going to be a Ruler the Despot decided Nikodemos needed to learn how to struggle to become a Warrior. He sent off the letter right away before continuing to direct his servants on packing his two dozens boots. They were very valuable and had to be carefully wrapped in soft silk before being placed in the traveling trunks.

Spoiler: Back Home
    Show

By May the hunting party had returned to the Palace. Publicly the Despot announced he would try again next year to find the sneaky tiger. But deep inside he was not so sure. While it hurt his pride to have failed he felt that hunting tigers was becoming a waste of time and coin. He was getting at that point in life where he started to wonder if he shouldn't be doing something more serious with his life?

Spoiler: Theodoros Toxias Is A Man
    Show

Later that month Theodoros Toxias became a young adult and a VERY skilled man of mystery. He would make a perfect Spy. Sadly he would make a horrible anything else. The Despot found the perfect wife for him.

Spoiler: Kyra
    Show

Kyra was a Vassal of the Duchess. Not only was she very pretty but she had the brains to match. The couple were married, with the Duchess's approval, on the 26th of May.

In June an old woman appeared in the Despot's Royal Court. Her name was Elaiodora and she was a Greek Roman Catholic from Greece. Her husband, the Doge Leon "The Unready" of Amalfi had died and it seems likely she fled Greece for religious reasons.

Spoiler: A Catholic?
    Show

As she left the throne room the Despot turned to his Council and said, "Doge? Catholic? What does that mean?"

They explained that Catholic was another type of Christian while a Doge was a elected leader of a Republic.

"Elected leader?' mumbled the Despot. "Republic?"

The Council tried to explain that a Republic was a form of government in which certain individuals among the populace were allowed to pick their leaders. In this case it was likely that only certain powerful families could vote on the office of Doge.

"Vote?" said the Despot in horror. "What kind of silly idea is that?"

The Council replied that, yes, it was a silly idea and told the Despot not to worry about it too much. It was just a fade started by the ancient Greek City-States.

"My Mother's people are insane," wrote the Despot into his private journal. "How could they believe that a mass of people could decide on important matters of state? How could thousands or even a few hundred people direct the state about such issues as war when my Council takes an hour just to decide what they want for the noon meal?"

Spoiler: Military Brawl!
    Show

Later in June he was given the upsetting news that his Protostrator Gopala had gotten into fights with the very men he was meant to train. The idiot had paid for it with one of his eyes. What made it worse was Commander Loukas and Gopala were now bitter rivals. What was he to do with the Protostrator? Replacing him could just cause other issues.

We end this chapter with the military in disarray, a new Greek Freeloader, and the Despot pondering the meaning of life. And if he needed more hunting boots.
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

2. - Top - End - #92

Chapter Seventy-Nine : World Powers In 812 AD

Early 9th Century Byzantine Soldiers

Dear readers I have decided in this chapter to take a break from the petty schemes and plots of courtiers and mayors to tour the world and show you the petty schemes and plots of the major powers. The Empires and Kingdoms who are on the top seven list of the most powerful nations on Earth. Well, those we know of.

The first on our list was the Byzantine Empire ruled by that aging “Usurper” Basileus Niketas. He was in a war against an alliance of five Horse Lords and therefore he needed every one of those seventeen thousand soldiers under his command. His brother was still alive, and happy, and he had seven surviving children, forty-six vassals, and seemed to be doing well for a man in his early 50s.

Spoiler: Byzantine Empire
    Show

His major opponent was Khagan Iltabar of Khazaria. A Ruler also known as “The Scourge of Ukko”. He had only a tad under two thousand men but as he was not the only Lord fighting the Empire. It was a Holy War and that would explain why all the other Lords had joined in. Religious wars were always a sticky issue.

We now move across the border to the south and find the second nation on our list ruled by a child. The ten year old Caliph Mahdi had over ten thousand men and almost three thousand gold coins as he sat on the throne of the Arabian Empire. Not bad for a person in the middle of three conflicts. Sadly he had no skills nor any talents at this point of his life. Let us hope he lasts long enough to marry.

Spoiler: Arabian Empire
    Show

The conflicts he was facing was one war and two revolts. The war was against Count Anktsas of Aksu. Yes, that family. And at this MOMENT in time the Count was winning. Somehow.

One of the Revolts, luckily for us, is in fact the THIRD nation on the list. In other words we don’t have to move our point-of-view at all. Isn’t that great?

Spoiler: Abbasid Revolt
    Show

The Abbasid Revolt was ruled by a man named Hisham. He commanded over eight thousand men, was strong and had some skills. But he had no honor and not much in the way of vassals or holdings. To be honest I think he will not be seen again on this list unless Caliph Mahdi grows up to be a horrible leader. Otherwise I am pretty sure Hisham is toast.

The next realm on the list was in India. The High Chief Begluk “The Conqueror” of Gandhara. A Tengri (Pagan) with just under seven thousand men attacking the Thakur Partap of Sakala over Punjab.

Spoiler: Gandhara
    Show

His skills and talents seem mixed and I really can’t guess, at this moment, if he will be on future lists. He seems powerful enough but can he last?

Next on our list was High Chief Vseslav “The Young” of Ilmen. A Slavic (Pagan) ruler of a Tribal realm in Europe with about six thousand soldiers who was in a war with one of his tiny neighbors.

Spoiler: Ilmen
    Show

But being that he was in debt he still may still be defeated when he can’t afford to support his armies. Soldiers like to get paid and when you don’t pay them they sometimes....well, stop fighting. Balancing the books is a important part of being a ruler. Also having a face helps.

The next realm on our list was in Spain. Sultan al-Qasim of the Umayyad Sultanate (son of Abd-al-Rahman “The Terrible”) has over five thousand men and was in a (Second) Holy War over Brittany. And he, at the time, seemed to be winning.

Spoiler: Andalusia (Spain)
    Show

A bad sign for the future of France. Well, or the region that may be called France. Or may not. Outside of the fact that he was a tad stressed he seems to be doing very well for a 50 year old man.

The last nation on our list was far to the east and slightly south. We head over to the Azd Umanid Sultanate - a spread out realm ruled by Sultan Aghlab. With just over six thousand men, nineteen vassals, four wives, and seven children, he seemed to be doing very well. Not even any wars. But when you can only grow bigger by taking on the Arabian Empire it is unlikely you will be doing very well in the future.

Spoiler: Abyssinia
    Show

Of course he could go after Africa...

So we close this chapter, with some old friends and new friends. And the Pala Kingdom isn’t anywhere on the list. Sad for them.

So I will blow out the oil lamp, close the book, and clean my fingers of the ink as I invite you to join us in the next chapter in which we will return to the Despot and his Royal Court.

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93

Chapter Eighty : Don't Cough On ME!

Take Two Of These Newt's Eyes And Call Me Next Week

We open this chapter in June, of the year 812 AD, as the Despot looks over the reports from his Spy Master Sivakaradeva Bhaumakara.

"How can there be so many backers when there are only three plots going on?" the Despot sighed as he flipped through the pages of information the Spy Master had handed him. "I am getting so sick of writing all those letters or sending out all those emissaries to demand those backers stop. Time I could be using to shop for more cloaks. I hear cloaks are in now. Cape are so last season."

"I could take over my liege, if you wish," stated the Spy Master. "I could just send out a demand for people to stop anytime a plot pops up instead of telling you about the plot and waiting for your response."

Spoiler: The Despot Hands Over Watching The Plots To His Spy Master
    Show

"You know what, yes," said the Despot. "I give you the authority to stop all plots you become aware of. At least, plots I didn't start, I mean."

So the Despot got to rest. If by "rest" I mean shop for more cloaks, eat amazing meals with his family, write poems, and enjoy the life of a wealthy and powerful Despot.

Spoiler: Public Works
    Show

In July, he decided to spent some coin on improving the Kingdom. First he ordered that his Palace have a Militia Training Ground be built. He also ordered the County of Kamatapur have a Castle Town built for its Castle. This cost him about 310 gold coins. One would increase the amount of soldiers he had and the other increase his income.

Later that month he decided that Euphemia needed to learn about patience and timing. Always a good idea to know when it was time to make a move and when to wait.

Spoiler: Timing!
    Show

He also remembered, in September, to replace his one-eyed Protostrator with somebody more loyal, more skilled, and with better eyesight. Protostrator Ioustinanos was put to work shortly afterward on organizing the military.

Spoiler: New Protostrator
    Show

On the 27th of November his son Prince Ioulainos of Kamarupa and Theodosia gave birth to their first kid, the Despot's first Granddaughter, of the name Dionysia. The Despot decided that her first years of schooling would focus on Buddha and Greek culture.

Spoiler: Dionysia
    Show

In December it was pointed out that Chat, one of his students, loved to keep things in order and spent a lot of time on it. She was fussy. The Despot decided this was a good thing and helped her develop it into something just as good - patience!

Spoiler: Patience!
    Show

She, shortly afterwards, came of age and he married her to one of the local Greek Freeloaders.

Spoiler: Marriage!
    Show

Shortly after the New Year the Court Physician Serapion came to the Despot with an idea. It seems the people would sometimes get sick and wasted their time trying to get well. The Physician suggested a system of apothecaries could help keep the subjects healthy and, in turn, they would get less sick days. Less sick days meant more income for the Despot!(1)

Spoiler: Sick People
    Show

The Despot agreed even though it did cost a somewhat large amount of coins (over 60 gold coins). He also didn't like the idea of all those sick people coughing on him. Ewwww!

Spoiler: Whose Army Is This?
    Show

In March the Despot was alarmed by a army marching towards the Kingdom's border but was then relieved to find out that the army belonged to the Great King of Bihar and it was not marching as much as "fleeing" from a defeat.

Spoiler: Great King Traillokyachandra
    Show

Seems the two wars that the Great King Traillokyachandra was involved in were going against him. Badly. As one was a revolt and one was a civil war....well, it was doubtful anybody would be able to call him Great King in his face and not snicker if he lost both of those conflicts.

Spoiler: Another Bun In The Oven!
    Show

We close this chapter with the news that his wife was pregnant again. The wonders of having a lustful wife!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author’s End Notes:

1. Apothecary derives from a ancient Greek word (apotheke) via Latin (apotheca), Medieval Latin (apothecarius) and eventually old French (apotecaire). In the end it meant a medical professional who formulated and dispensed medical material to physicians, surgeons, and patients. Modern pharmacists have taken over this role. Apothecary shops sold ingredients and medicines they prepared wholesale. Trivia - in the 1600s England they also controlled the trade of tobacco which was imported as a medicine.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94

Chapter Eighty-One : New Buildings, New Weddings, And A New Daughter

A Castle Town

We open this chapter in June, in the year 813 AD, with the announcement that the Castle in Kamatapur now has a Castle Town built around it. This pleased the Despot because it was HIS castle and it meant the income generated would go straight to his private purse.

Spoiler: A Castle Town
    Show

In July his hunting dog, Faithful, did something so cute that all the children in the court seemed to want to pet and hug him. They loved it. The Despot got some of that reflected love in the form of higher opinion many of the children now held towards him.(1)

Spoiler: Faithful!
    Show

In October the Spy Master came to the Despot with a interesting problem. It seems a fourth plot had hatched - a Mayor Jayananda of Buguda was plotting to kill Sivakaradeva Bhaumakara. You see, the Spy Master also happened to be the son of Raja Subhakaradeva "The Inquisitor".

Spoiler: Somebody Plotting Against The Spy Master?
    Show

It was likely the Mayor was trying to kill the Spy Master either to help one of the other inheritors OR because he hated the Spy Master for some reason.

"Oh my," replied the Despot on hearing this information. "Kind of ironic. After you took over the job of writing the letters to tell people to stop plotting you run into a plot which is directed at you and is run by one person who will likely NOT listen to your written demands for him to stop trying to kill you."

The Despot thought about it and added, "Good luck with that."

"Yes, my liege," stated Sivakaradeva, looking slightly nervous, "thank you."

In November his Palace finally had a Training Ground for the Militia.

Spoiler: NEW Training Militia Ground
    Show

He also noticed that two of the Cowaske girls were old enough to marry.

Spoiler: The Cowaske Girls
    Show

So he married them off as soon as he could. Both were daughters of Concubines and disliked him but he tried to pick the best husbands he could (who would agree to such a marriage). Funny enough, they were well educated and had some interesting talents.

Spoiler: And They Get Married!
    Show

Later that month Euphemia Toxias came of age. She was weak but at least she was patient and seemed to like the Despot. She also seemed to now know the basics of being diplomatic. She, of course, was married to one of the courtiers (like the other two young women).

Spoiler: Euphemia Toxias
    Show

In December the Despot decided that he had spent enough time on Family and now needed to focus on WAR!

Spoiler: WAAAR! Or At Least Training For It
    Show

The reason was somewhat simple. First, he knew that sooner or later he, and his armies, would have to go against the Pala Kingdom.

And he felt it might be sooner than later. He noticed that the Maharaja Gopala II was the next in line for the Kingdom of Bihar.

Spoiler: The Great Kings
    Show

Which meant the Great King had no reason to attack his half-brother - if he waited he would end up getting Traillokyachandra's holdings anyway. Of course this could change if a boy was born into the Bihar Royal Family but for now the Pala Kingdom really only had two types of targets.

First there were the tiny broken up pieces of numerous, but mostly harmless, realms. Many of which use to belong to his father.

OR the Kingdom of Kamarupa. Which was becoming more powerful with each passing year.

The Despot assumed a worst-case scenario and wanted to be ready for it.

As the Despot prepared for war his young wife gave him a New Year’s Gift.

Spoiler: Happy New Years!
    Show

The baby girl was named Theodosia and the Despot decided her future was to be a TRUE Lady. To be a woman of style and grace and good manners.

So we close this chapter with a new member of the Royal Family, more marriages, and a Despot assuming his neighbor was going to be invading his front lawn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author’s End Notes:

1. Not to be confused with Fluffy his guard dog.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95

Chapter Eighty-Two : War And Peace

Dancing Peasants

We open this chapter in the month of February, during the year 814 AD, with the death of Baron Salashamba of Numaligarh. Seems he died while on the “chamber pot”. His younger brother took over the position.

Spoiler: A New Baron Of Numaligarh
    Show

Baron Samudravarman was somewhat flawed. He was lustful and enjoyed food. He was also lazy and greedy. At least he didn’t dislike his Liege as much as his dead brother had and maybe the Despot could work with him. Maybe the feud that had lasted for two generations could be put to rest?

Spoiler: Tradition!
    Show

Also in February the Despot was notified by his Magistros that the peasants of the County of Goalpara had started a tradition in which people from different villages would meet and dance and feast and sometimes pair off to marry. The meet ups, and marriages, would help develop a strong local culture. Loukas felt this would promote the region and draw more people to it. The Despot agreed and gave some coin to help keep the tradition alive.

Spoiler: County Of Suvarnagram
    Show

He also got the news from his accountants that the County of Suvarnagram was prospering under the direct control of the Despot. It pleased him because it just reinforced his belief about how great he was.

Spoiler: County Of Haruppeswara
    Show

Later in the month the Royal Court received news that the County of Haruppeswara was embracing the Greek culture. This made the Despot very happy - another part of India was becoming Greek. As long as it didn’t adopt any other ideas from Europe - like the silly Republic idea - the Despot could live with that.

Spoiler: The Depressed Duchess
    Show

The Despot called his Upadhyaya, the Duchess, back to the Capital County to help improve relations with the other Bhikkhu. Sadly due to her depression it was likely she might do more damage than good.

Spoiler: Eupraxia Neapolites
    Show

In April a new Greek Freeloader appeared in the Royal Court. Eupraxia Neapolites had NO reason to be in India. She was a Highborn woman with powerful siblings and even a future husband. The Despot greeted her and then put her out of his mind. He could, if he wanted, force her to marry a local courtier but why? Once her husband was old enough to marry she would be packing to return to Greece.

She DID have a strong claim on Neapolis and it COULD be one of her brothers had taken it from her forcing her to flee. But the Despot was really too lazy to investigate the issue.

Spoiler: Conflict Between Our Enemies!
    Show

In May he was brought news of a war that had exploded between the Raja Shurapala and Thakurani Kanchani (a vassal of the Pala Kingdom). It seemed that the woman felt she could take the Raja on all by herself. Their forces and resources seemed to be almost even and the Despot was not willing to bet on who would be the victor.

Spoiler: Starting Positions
    Show

As he watched the Raja collect his levies and march into enemy territory he got a report that the County of Srihatta were figuring out how to have cavalry. This cheered him up as this meant more men for him!

Spoiler: County Of Srihatta - Cavalry!
    Show

In July Gayakasyape Gayakasyapesoya came of age. He wasn’t really a very interesting young man and he was a weakling to boot.

Spoiler: Gayakasyape Gayakasyapesoya
    Show

But the Despot decided that maybe hooking him up with Theodosia would be a good idea - as her genes might help overwhelm his genes and produce some normal children.

In August he decided to go on another tiger hunt. He wasn’t really in the mood to hunt down a big cat due to all the failed hunts before this one BUT he knew that it was good for public relations. And he HAD bought all those new hunting boots and they NEEDED to be broken in.

Spoiler: Another Tiger Hunt
    Show

Only one Mayor declined to come. Which was okay with the Despot - more roast boar and wine for the rest of them!

Spoiler: Start Of The Adventure
    Show

By September the Despot and his servants and his soldiers and his elephants with all his outfits and his hunters and his tailors were all unpacking at the camp. They needed to put up the tents, cook the meals, secure the camp, and carefully make sure the Despot’s pajamas matched his bed sheets.

All month did they hunt for the tiger. All month they stomped through the jungles, crossed steams, and beat the bush. Bugs and birds flew about and monkeys screamed at them. And not one big cat was found. Not ONE!

Spoiler: Failure!
    Show

The hunting camp returned home in total failure. Nobody was happy and the rumors spread throughout the Kingdom that the Despot was unlucky. And while he vowed to return to find a tiger the Despot really was getting tired of hunting and failing. Maybe he should pick up another sport or hobby? Maybe hat collecting?

So we close this chapter with the Despot’s pride being hurt by the lack of success at hunting, the peasants being much happier in many of the counties, and having a new Baron to deal with.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96

Chapter Eighty-Three : More Money!

Tax Farmer Collecting The Taxes

We open this chapter in October, in the year 814 AD, with the Despot Andronikos Dysnomia asking for a review of his financial records and military strength.

Spoiler: Overview
    Show

The military was over three thousand men and his treasury had almost six hundred gold coins. It was wonderful to realize his soldiers were almost equal to the Pala Kingdom's military.

He decided to have the Festival of Light and started the preparations in October after sending out the invites. Even before the riders with the letters had disappeared over the horizon the Despot was selecting a necklace for his wife.

Spoiler: Time To Party!
    Show

A few days later the Despot received a letter from Mayor Tyagasimha of Suvarnagram refusing to come to the feast.

Spoiler: No Party?
    Show

By the middle of October the food was ready, the servants were given clean new cloaks, and the guests were starting to arrive. As always his wife loved her gift of a necklace.

Spoiler: A Nice Party - No Wars, No Revolts, No News
    Show

Soon the darkest night came and the servants in their brand new cloaks lit all the candles and lamps. Sweet wine and steaming dishes of food were passed about and enjoyed. Sadly, like all good feasts, it had to come to an end.

The Despot got some interesting information from one of his attendants. It seemed that Sangram Anantazk, the "Dead Beat Dad" who had left all his children in the Royal Court, was now remarried. He was not just the Spymaster of Khotan BUT the HEIR to it.

Spoiler: Sangram Anantazk
    Show

This meant that one of his sons, now within the Despot's Kingdom, might become a future Shahdom of Khotan.

Near the end of December a son was born to Kemarcune Turtamid and Aryaraksite named Koysam. The Despot decided that the boy should focus on religious studies for his early education.

Spoiler: Koysam Kemarcunesoya
    Show

The Despot decided to spend the first few weeks of the year 815 AD to check out his Court and Vassals. He first absorbed all the information his scribes and spies could give him about the Baron Samudravarman of Numaligarh. To be honest the Despot found the Baroness to be more interesting and he hoped that their offspring got much of their genes from her and less from the Baron himself. In fact he was saddened by the fact that the Baroness was not the one in charge.

Spoiler: Baron And Baroness
    Show

To increase the Baron's opinion of the Despot he awarded him the Honorary Title of Master of the Royal Elephants. A empty title but it came with some coin and some prestige.

Spoiler: A Happy Mayor?
    Show

He also found that Mayor Bosporios of Pragyotispura didn't out-right hate his Liege. He was JUST on the positive side of the fence when it came to his opinion of the Despot. So the Depot awarded the Mayor the Honorary Title of Court Poet. Like the other titles it gave the man some coin and some prestige.

The end result was four Vassals who liked the Depot and four who disliked him.

Spoiler: List Of Vassals
    Show

So we close the chapter with some Vassals who are happier with the Despot and a happier Despot who is getting more income from his Vassals (and other sources within his Kingdom).

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Chapter Eighty-Four : Three Prisoners And An Failed Arrest

Welcome To The Dungeon!

We open this chapter in February, in the year 815 AD, in which we find the Despot slightly confused. The Court's records showed three courtiers were aboard but he didn't know who they were. He hadn't sent any of the students to a foreign court. And it seemed that they were PRISONERS!

So he called his Magistros, the one eyed Loukas, to his throne room to explain.

“Why are these three women in Khotan’s prison?” asked the Despot as he showed the Magistros the paperwork.

Spoiler: Three Maidens Of India
    Show

“Well, my liege, to be honest, I don’t know,” answered Loukas after looking over the paperwork. “Many of your courtiers have ended up in other realms and it could be somebody was overthrown and...well, I don’t know. I don’t have the information needed to give you a proper, FACTUAL, answer.”

“Well,” said the Despot, “they are my courtiers. Let us get them out.”

Spoiler: Ayardhyame
    Show

So the Despot sent 10 gold coins to get Ayardhyame out of jail and received an positive answer in March. In fact the reply was not just positive but very polite. Sadly when she was back in court it was easy to see that her time in the dungeon had driven her mad. As the Despot’s first wife had become insane later in life he felt for the poor thing.

He sent off 10 gold coins to have Uppalavarna released and as he waited for a reply life within the Kingdom continued.

Spoiler: Ambitions?
    Show

His wife suggested he should be more ambitious. He WAS a Ruler after all and there were titles out there to grab, people to tax, and enemies to kill. The Spy Master Sivaradeva suggested that the Despot keep calm and pull in his ambitions. But he decided his wife was in the right and took her advice to heart. He became Ambitious.

Spoiler: County Of Goalpara
    Show

Shortly after that he received word that the County of Goalpara was doing well. Then he finally received a positive reply about Uppalavarna Buddhatalatkacer.

Spoiler: Uppalavarne
    Show

He then sent the 10 gold coins to release Sumaise “The Troubadour”. Once he received the positive reply that she was released he started to think about marrying the women off.

Spoiler: Sumaise
    Show

So he married off all three of them. He figured as long as they were married they would be less likely to travel and get in trouble. And now they could produce more kids for the Royal Court!

Spoiler: Marriages!
    Show

After this the Despot did what he normally did every once and awhile - he went over how many children needed education. He found two children who needed help in continuing their education.

Spoiler: Never Enough Eudcation
    Show

The 12 year old boy Caiyiska Prabhasesoya and the 13 year old girl Kakanvati Kamarupanagarid both needed the Depot to select their future teachings. The boy was put on the military fast track while the girl was placed on the path to be a future diplomat.

Then in May the spies told him of the most wonderful news. It seems that the Great King Gopala II of Pala Kingdom had tried, and failed, to arrest the Raja Vijaysingha of Nadia - who was also his brother. This failure had started a Revolt. The Pala Kingdom was now in the middle of a WAR between two members of the Royal Family.

Spoiler: Revolt Within The Pala Kingdom
    Show

Which meant that the Great King of Bihar, the Great King of Pala, and the Raja of Shantideva Raj were all involved in wars.

If the Despot was able to get his claim any time soon he would be dealing with a weakened Kingdom of Pala.

We end this chapter with the Despot laughing evilly.(1)

Author’s End Notes:

1. All together now - BHAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

Chapter Eighty-Five : What The Despot Wants The Despot Gets!

Money Can Do Anything - Even Create A Brand New Shiny Claim

We open this chapter in May, of the year 815 AD, with the news that Raja Shurapala of Shantideva Raj WON his war with Thakurani Kanchani of Samatata.

Spoiler: Victory For The Raja Shurapala
    Show

To be honest the Despot felt a mixture of amazement, that the Raja had won, and a certain amount of amusement, that the Raja had won. Also, the Despot wanted to take out the Raja himself and was happy the old enemy had won.

Spoiler: ANOTHER Royal Bun In The Royal Oven
    Show

Later that month the Queen announced that she is pregnant again! The Despot is starting to worry a tad. It was nice to have a large family when you were a dirt farmer but when you were a Royal Family in charge of a somewhat small Kingdom that could cause problems.

In June the Despot decided that the Castle in Goalpala needed a Castle Town. He decided to have it built even though it cost 146 gold coins.

Spoiler: Starting On Another Castle Town
    Show

Not much was really happening until July when the Despot was notified that his son, Prince Ioulianos was plotting to kill his rival.

Spoiler: The Prince Is Plotting
    Show

"Who is his rival?" demanded the Despot on receiving this news.

"Well, my Liege," said Loukas, looking somewhat embarrassed, "Your son's rival is Faramarz Sangramazk."

Spoiler: Faramarz Sangramazk
    Show

"One of the sons of the Dead Beat Dad?" exclaimed the Despot with a confused look. "Why is it we Royal people seem to pick rivals among the lowborn scum of the peasants! And why would he want to kill him?"

"No reason we can find my Liege," answered Loukas with a sigh. "But he isn't lowborn any more. His father will inherit the position of Shahdom of Khotan."

"Oh...so this boy who was raised and educated by our Courtiers is now Prince," murmured the Despot to himself. "Oh well...and has my son agreed to STOP plotting to murder his rival?"

"It does not look like your son has agreed to stop yet," responded Loukas. "You could arrest him."

"Oh no," stated the Despot. "I'm not doing that. That could cause all kinds of problems. Let us just leave this alone and see what happens."

Later on the Despot realized that swinging a sword at a dummy wasn't really helping him at developing his skill with a sword. He decided to ask Serapion to help him with his sword training and the two became close friends. (1)

Spoiler: A New Friend!
    Show

But the most important and exciting thing to happen in the month of August was that he was told that the claim on the County of Pundravadhana was his. For a fee of 146 gold coins (and some change). The Despot paid it happily.

Spoiler: A Claim For Pundravadhana
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Despot's son plotting to assassinate a rival, the Despot training with a peasant, the Despot finally getting the claim he wanted, and the Despot celebrating getting the claim by going to a cloak shop to buy a brand new cloak.(2)

Join us in the next chapter where we go to WAR!

Author’s End Notes:

1. Serapion had NO skills or talents with the blade so it is unknown why the Despot would ask this Courtier to help him with his blade work.

2. Cloaks-R-Us was having a sale.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Chapter Eighty-Six : War With Who Now?

First Defeat!

The Despot marched into his bedroom and drew out his mother's old sword. He checked the edge and smiled. He then pulled out his own cheap sword and shoved both into his belt.

He turned to his servants and said, "Get me the Council!"

Spoiler: Most Of The Council
    Show

A few hours later he was stood before most of his Councilors as they all presented themselves to him in the throne room. Not everybody was present. Loukas, the Magistros, had been recalled and was there. The Protostrator, the Mystikos, and the Upadhyaya were also all there. The only member not there was the Sakellarios who was still in Kundina trying to find ways to improve on the economy.

"We will now go to war with the Kingdom of Pala!" he stated as he tried to look impressive, each hand on a hilt of a sword.

The Council looked embarrassed and the Magistros lifted his right hand.

"What...what is wrong?" demanded the Despot. He could feel something "wrong" was about to happen.

"You mean we will declare war on the Raja Vijaysingha of Nadia," answered the Magistros. "He owns the county now that he started a revolt."

Spoiler: Raja Vijaysingha of Nadia
    Show

"Oh," mumbled the Despot. "That's even better...he has less men to his name. Well, hire the sell swords and let's get ready for a long conflict."

As most of the Councilors left the room the Magistros stepped forward. "My Liege. May I speak with you?"

"Of course," said the Despot as he handed his swords he had worn for the meeting to the nearest attendant, "What is it?"

"Due to the fact that the Raja is in a war with his brother the Great King...well, if you start a war with the Raja and the Great King crushes the Revolt you would be at war with the Great King," explained the Magistros.

"Yes...?"

"Well, any progress you had made against the Raja would be...well...wiped out. It would be as if you had started all over again," said the Magistros rubbing his eye patch, a nervous habit he had picked up lately.

"So we have to defeat the Raja before the Great King does?" replied the Depot, after thinking for a few seconds.

"Yes my Liege," stated the Magistros, "We are entering a race to win the war and we will be entering it late."

"Well," said the Despot, "we better make sure we're ready to win and win quickly."

The Despot noticed, as he reviewed his military, that he was missing two Commanders. So on the 9th of August, 815 AD, he commissioned Kyriakos of Nalrajar Garh and Dionysios "The Hunter". Both were highly skilled and talented men, with knowledge of warfare.

Then the Despot hired his favorite mercenaries, the Bengal Band, and ordered them to march. He assigned two of his lesser Commanders to the flanks. He planned to have the army siege the County of Pundravardhana.

Spoiler: The Bengal Band
    Show

Now it was a waiting game. He wanted to declare war RIGHT when the sell swords were crossing the border. He wanted the element of surprise. Only then would he raise his levies.

As he waited he played with his faithful hunting dog, Faithful, which cheered him up.

Spoiler: Good Old Faithful!
    Show

He also tried to bring two of his friends together but it failed. They just didn't like each other.

Spoiler: Awwww...
    Show

On the 12th of September, in the year 815 AD, the Despot finally declared war on the Raja. Afterwards he ordered the levies to arms and he, himself, prepared to command one of the flanks of the army.

Spoiler: Let Loose The Dogs Of War!
    Show

As the men assembled, slowly, piece by piece, he got a report that the Great King was NOT happy with the Despot and in fact seemed to be sending a army north to attack the Bengal Band!

Spoiler: NoNoNoNONONO!
    Show

By October the Despot got a report that the two armies were, in fact, fighting and the Pala soldiers had all the advantages.

"Why?" demanded the Despot from his tent in the assembling area in the County of Goalpara. "Why attack me? He had to break a siege to attack me!"

"He does not wish you to win before he does," replied one of the officers. "It isn't a smart idea. As you pointed out he is ALSO now allowing his enemy to recover from the siege he just abandoned. He also will lose some of his own men in the battle, win or lose."

By November the Despot received the news that the Battle of Totaram Panditer Dhap had ended in his men's defeat. They were now fleeing back into friendly territory. The Band now numbered only just over eight hundred men.

Spoiler: Defeat!
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Bengal Band having been defeated, his levies still only half assembled, and the Despot finding himself in a three-way war.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

Chapter Eighty-Seven : The Levies March Forth

A Second Defeat!

We open in November, in the year 815 AD, with the Despot in command of the right wing of the Army of Ioustinianos. He, and the levies, were waiting in the County of Goalpara.

Spoiler: Army Of Ioustinianos
    Show

The tents covered the landscape and the camp fires seemed to mirror the star lit sky. The men laughed and ate and drank around the fires, finishing off their evening meals as they prepared to go to their tents and crawl into their bedrolls.

Many were tired of the training and drilling. And many were just tired of the waiting.

"Why are we still here?" grumbled one of the soldiers as he finished off his stew. "We have all the levies ready. We should be marching south!"

"I think we are here for two reasons," said one of his comrades finishing off his own meal. "One, I think the Despot wants to be here to dismiss the hired hands. But really I think it is about timing. I think he wants Rajkumar deep in his war with Gopala II." Among themselves the peasant rarely used the titles of their betters. "Its about timing. He wants Rajkumar Vijaysingha worn down before we march to battle."

So the army continued to wait and train.

Spoiler: Antonia
    Show

Later that month a letter from the Queen arrived for the Despot. A new Greek Freeloader appeared in the Royal Court of the name of Antonia. Seems she had a somewhat crowded mind as she was sharing her body with ether a demon or the devil itself. She had no family, or at least mentioned none, and was of the Iconoclast faith.

Spoiler: The Orthodox Faith Is Back!
    Show

In December the Despot received the news, once again via a letter from his Queen, that the Orthodox Faith had made a come back, overthrowing the Iconoclast faith in the far off land called Europe. The Despot rolled his eyes. Did this mean more Greeks would start arriving? Still, it didn't concern a Ruler who was about to march to war.

As he was placing the letter from his Queen into one of his traveling chests a messenger asked permission to enter his Royal tent. He had news that the Bengal Band was entering the camp. What was left of them.

The Despot met with Captain of the Band. He dismissed the band and told the Captain to rebuild this company.

"I will hire you when you are whole again," explained the Despot.

Then he turned to the Commanders and lesser officers. "Time to march!"

And so the army of over three thousand men marched. And they marched. And they marched. This time the target was the County of Nabadwipa, the Capital of the enemy.

Spoiler: Dionysia
    Show

While on the march in early January, the year 816 AD, the Despot received news of the birth of his next daughter, Dionysia. The Queen, as the Despot was off to war, decided her daughter should learn about math and bookkeeping.

Spoiler: Time To Get Serious
    Show

By the 23rd of January, the siege of the Castle of Nabadwipa, the first castle of the county, had started. The castle had about three hundred defenders and everybody knew it was just a matter of time before it fell.

Spoiler: Bengal Band Rebuilt
    Show

As the siege went on the Bengal Band worked to rebuild its ranks and by April was ready to be hired again. This time they were ordered to join the main army.

Spoiler: Castle of Nabadwipa
    Show

Later that month the castle fell and the levies marched to the nearest city called Krishnagar. Soon they had enclosed the poor urban center with earthworks, ditches, and sentries. The city didn't last very long as it had no defenders outside of a small garrison.

Spoiler: City Of Krishnagar
    Show

The Despot then ordered the army to move to the Temple of Pancharatna. There they blocked all the roads and pathways.

Spoiler: A New Catle Town In County Of Goalpara
    Show

As they waited for the Priests to give up the Despot received news that the Castle of Goalpara now had a Castle Town.

Spoiler: Not Again!
    Show

Then in late June the Despot got a communiqué that told him that the Bengal Band had been attacked by the Pala Soldiers. The Band had tried to move around them but the Pala army had moved to engage them anyway.

“Damn it!” shouted the Despot, flipping his portable writing desk. “The Great King is smarter than I thought!”

“My Liege?” said Commander Ioustinianos, slightly confused.

“When he attacks my hired company he is not just killing off my men,” explained the Despot, “he is hitting me in the purse. He is not just killing my men he is making sure all the coins I have spent have gone to waste.”

Spoiler: Temple of Pancharatna
    Show

Even as he waited for the bad news the Temple fell to his men and the army moved on to the last holding in the County - another castle. He did not have to wait long for the bad news.

Spoiler: Defeated At The Battle Of Pabna
    Show

In August he got the report of his hired men fleeing the Battle of Pabna with just over seven hundred soldiers left.

So we end the chapter with the Despot very upset about having his sell swords being defeated a second time but still having done some good as his men are slowly occupying the enemy’s holdings.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

Chapter Eighty-Eight : The First REAL Clash

Military Bread

We open this chapter in August, in the year 816 AD, with the Despot feeling like crap. He had just heard of his second battle against the Great King - who he wasn't even fighting - and his pride was hurting. In fact he woke up one day in August to found he had lost his pride. What the heck did he have to be proud about? His collection of cloaks? His dozen frigging hunting boots? His trunk of multi-colored hoods?

Spoiler: Pride Lost
    Show

Outside his tent was a massive camp that encircled the Castle of Bidhyanandikathi - the last remaining holding not in his hands in the County of Nabadwipa. Soldiers were starting to wake up, picking up their equipment and grabbing their cold ration of military bread to break their fast. Many of them would soon be replacing the night shift. That would allow their tired, and hungry, comrades to get something to eat and get some sleep. Just another day at the siege.

The Despot pulled himself out of his bed, a proper feather bed, and he ordered his breakfast. A proper breakfast, of fruit juice and hot cereal, not like the barley water and cold mush the common soldiers were having.

"Now," he mumbled to himself, as he enjoyed his morning meal, "I just need to work on that lust..."

Spoiler: Losing Lust
    Show

The siege was hell for the people inside the castle. And for those outside it the conditions were not much better. The men smelled and the ditches they used as toilets smelled even worse. Rotten food, muddy pathways, and soiled clothing were everywhere. Earthworks, stakes, and burnt equipment surrounded the castle manned by tired, grumpy, armed men in chain and leather. The tents had makeshift floors and were crowded with bedrolls, traveling bags, and extra weapons. The camp fires were always being used to cook food, boil water, or keep the bug away. Camp followers, wives, children, and crows were as numerous as the soldiers.

On the 9th of August scouts detected the Raja’s army, the man the Despot was fighting, marching east - towards them!

Spoiler: Battle...Maybe?
    Show

There was a mixture of joy and worry. Joy, for a major battle would help greatly towards ending the war. Worry because it could end the war in defeat. Still, the Despot’s soldiers would have the advantage of defending themselves from behind a river.

Which is why the enemy army decided NOT to attack and turned north. The Despot was not pleased.

During the siege the Despot was still getting letters from the Queen, and the Council, filled with news. Some of the news was important and some not so important. In September the Despot received news that a daughter was born to Kyriakos of Nalrajar Garh and his wife Chat. The baby girl was named Alexeia. The girl was Greek Buddhist and the Queen, standing in for the Despot, decided that she should be taught about Buddhism and Greek culture. She wanted to make sure the girl was brought up right.

Spoiler: Alexeia
    Show

He also replied to a letter from one of his students, Yase Gayakasyapesoy, giving him advice to be more diligent. He also sent the boy’s parents instructions to teach the boy about bookkeeping and money for the second stage of his education.

Spoiler: Yase
    Show

He also got a report that all the children still loved his hunting dog, Faithful. It helped bring him a little joy while away from home.

Spoiler: Doggy!
    Show

The siege came to end in October and the County was now occupied by the Despot’s forces. He decided it was time to go north and find his enemy.

Spoiler: The County Is Ours!
    Show

As the army marched he received more information from his wife. First, on the 22nd of October, Vakula Somavamsi had died under suspicious circumstances. In other words one of the plots had been carried out and now there was one less of them to keep track of. The Queen also announced she was pregnant again.(1)

Spoiler: More Babies!
    Show

In December he sent advice to Chinanch to keep on the way she was, to be patient, and he also decided that she should study religions and philosophy.

Spoiler: Chinanch
    Show

In mid-January his army marched into the County of Pundravardhana. The army of the Rajkumar Vijaysingha was there trying to liberate the holdings from the Great King. They had failed to flee when they learned of the Despot’s approach. The Second Battle of Totaram Panditer Dhapa started on the 17th of January (though officially the first battle of the war). The Battle opened up with volleys of arrows as the defenders let loose with their bows. Despot’s side realized they could not match the volleys and closed in to engage at close quarters.

Spoiler: 2nd Battle Of Totaram Panditer Dhapa
    Show

The Despot’s flank crushed the enemy’s left flank. It crumbled and fled, allowing the Despot to direct his men into the enemy’s center. Soon the enemy’s army collapsed totally and the Despot’s cavalry was released onto the battlefield to chase them down. By the middle of February the 2nd Battle of Totaram Panditer Dhapa had ended in victory. The casualties for the Despot’s men was around 439 while the enemy had lost about 909 soldiers.

Spoiler: Victory!
    Show

We close this chapter with the Despot selling off hundreds of used capes, cloaks, and boots. We also end it with a victory for the Despot to enjoy.

Author’s End Notes:

1. Seems the Queen must have visited the Despot in September.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-10-05 at 08:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

Chapter Eighty-Nine : Getting Ahead

Military Camp

We open this chapter in February, in the year 817 AD, in which we find the Despot, and the army, chasing after their enemy. The fleeing forces of the Raja was heading south to the County of Vijayapura where they hoped to find safety and maybe find time to recover.

But close on their heels was the forces of the Despot.

As they marched south two soldiers, walking side-by-side, started to chit-chat about something that had confused them. Let us listen in.

"Why do we call Raja Vijaysingha of Nadia a Raja when he is in rebellion against his Liege?" asked one of the soldiers to his comrade.

"What do you mean?" asked the second soldier, shifting the pack he was carrying, making his small cooking pot and small pan clank together, "that's his title."

"But he is in rebellion," said the first soldier. "How can he still hold a title when he is at war with the family who gave it to him?"

"Well," said the second soldier, "it is also used by independent rulers-"

The second soldier was cut off when a passing non-commissioned officer told them both to shut up.

So now we pass on to the wagon in which the Despot rode in. It was a large wagon which he used as a traveling office and bedroom when the army was on the move.

He was opening a letter and unfolding it before him. It was his wife the Queen with the news that another Freeloading Greek had appeared in the Court by the name of Iakobos. The man had a lisp and zealous nature. On overhearing some of what he had said to the other Freeloaders it seemed he was a failed peasant leader. No doubt exiled for starting a upraising.

Spoiler: Iakobos
    Show

It took the Despot, his Commanders, and his troops more than a month to finally catch up with the Raja's forces. The Raja's army had barely made it into the County of Vijayapura before they found themselves being attacked. The Battle of Vijayapura began on the 13th of April.

Spoiler: The Battle Of Vijayapura Starts
    Show

The Despot found himself enjoying it. The clash of steel, the shouts of commands, the stomping of hundreds of boots, it all seems to make his heart pump faster. He had become BRAVE! In fact when the enemy's flanks, both of them, collapsed under the attack he was the first to send his cavalry into the melee. Once again, the Despot's side was eager to engage at short distance because of the enemy's advantage with their archers. Soon the Raja's men were all running in terror from the Despot's light cavalry - even the elephants. On the 4th of May the battle ended in victory. The casualties for the Despot's side was only 78 soldiers while the Raja had lost over 400 men.

Spoiler: Victory At Vijayapura
    Show

As the army retired from the battlefield and marched to the Castle of Vijayapura Ioustinianos approached the Despot with a new idea that could improve the military. The Despot didn't understand a word of it and was too tired to try to understand it. He just agreed that the idea was a good one and assigned him the funding needed to carry the idea out.

Spoiler: A Good Idea?
    Show

The siege started as they always did, with a lot of excitement and running about and a few insults exchanged. But soon everybody settled down to waiting. They played games, rationed out the food, tried to keep the rats out of the supplies, and tried to keep the bugs out of the bedrolls.

The Despot, like many of the highborn officers, also received letters from their wives and loved ones. In June he received the joyful news of his wife giving birth to another daughter of the name of Theophano. The Despot wrote in his papers that he was amazed on what names his wife thought up for her daughters. Theophano?

Spoiler: Theophano
    Show

The Queen had also decided that the girl's education, for the early years anyway, would focus on service and humility.

The siege was a long one. Of course it was against the Castle of Vijayapura and castles were hard nuts to crack what with the walls and moats and food warehouses and water wells. Still, by August the defenders were dead and it belonged to the besiegers.

Spoiler: Castle of Vijayapura Falls
    Show

With the castle taken the army moved onto the Temple of Begunia. As they started the new siege the Despot received news that a second war between the Raja Shurapala and the Thakurani Kanchani had broken out. He chuckled to himself. It seemed war had become the natural state of affairs in India.

Spoiler: Get A Room You Two!
    Show

In September the Temple Priests and their soldiers had finally been overwhelmed. To be honest the historical records show they did put up a pretty good fight - even when compared to those defenders of the Castle of Vijayapura. The army packed up and moved onto the last holding of the County, a city.

Spoiler: Temple Of Begunia Falls
    Show

As they put up their earthworks and stakes and ditches the Despot found himself wishing for another battle. Siege warfare was so BORING. And smelly.

In October a letter came for him but it wasn't from his wife. It was his Spy Master. The Duchess Eusebia "The Unready" was the center of a murderous plot. The plot was being organized by her OWN Sakellarios Pankratios. It seems he wanted his inheritance early.

Spoiler: A Plot Against The Duchess!
    Show

Later that month he had news that raiders in the County of Haruppeswara were attacking traders and travelers and, worse, costing him income!

Spoiler: Bandits Again
    Show

He demanded Ioustinianos go forth and stop the raiders. True, he was sending out the Commander of the army but he was one of the best fighters the Despot had and he wanted the raiders dealt with once and for all.

Spoiler: Faithful Was A Good Dog!
    Show

As he waited for news of either the victory or death of Ioustinianos he received news from his wife that the Royal Court was fine and even Faithful was doing well.

Spoiler: A Gift For The Despot
    Show

We close the chapter with Ioustinianos riding back into camp with the bloody head of the bandit leader who USE to annoy the people of Haruppeswara. The Despot was very pleased.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-10-06 at 03:49 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

Chapter Ninety : Déjà vu

Sundials Of India - Not Very Portable

We open this chapter in November, in the year 817 AD, with the fall of the City of Patuli to the Despot and his army. With Patuli the Despot now occupied all of the County of Vijayapura.

Spoiler: City Of Patuli Falls
    Show

The Despot received news from his spies that the Raja’s forces were in the County of Nabadwipa trying to liberate the holdings occupied by the garrisons the Despot had left behind.

Despot ordered his army east to stop the Raja. But when they started to approach it the Raja’s army stop their siege and started to march into the County of Saptagrama. When the Despot redirected his army into Saptagrama the Raja’s army turned around and went back to Nabadwipa. The Despot tired of playing cat and mouse. He ordered his army to march south onto Saptagrama.

While the Raja’s forces were giving him the runaround the Despot received news that Dionysios “The Hunter” and Princess Arminestra gave birth to a boy named Leontios.

Spoiler: Another Royal Baby
    Show

The Queen had ordered that the boy learn about duty from the retainers and guards.

By late December the siege of the Castle of Saptagrama had began. As the Despot watched the siege unfold he kept getting more letters from his Queen.

Spoiler: Courtier Nande
    Show

For example on the 26th of December he was told about a young Courtier who was so influenced by his guardian that the boy might end up becoming Greek.

Spoiler: Stop That!
    Show

He was also alerted to the fact that Thakur Pusyamitra of Kumara Mandala was trying to get the Despot’s title (though there was some confusion on just WHICH title he was trying to fabricate a claim on). It seems his agents were better than the Despot's agents as the man got the claim within a week!

Even with this news the Despot seemed to be feeling little or no stress. In fact during the siege he seemed to relax. Maybe it was all the free time he had to play board games with his officers or all the days he went catching butterflies in the nearby forests? But in the end he found his stress just drained away.

Spoiler: No Longer Stressed
    Show

In late February he got a letter from his wife telling me that one of his students, Yase, had grown up to be a wonderful steward. Well, he would be wonderful if it were not for the fact he was also insane. Oh well, nobody’s perfect.

Spoiler: Young Yase
    Show

One day, while he watched his men catapult heads into the castle he received the good news that the County of Srihatta had embraced the Greek culture. He was very pleased.

Spoiler: County of Srihatta
    Show

He was even more pleased when in March he was notified that the Maharaja Traillokyachandra of Bihar had lost one of his wars. Now he had to PAY tribute to the Raja Dharmarstha WHILE still fighting against a REVOLT inside his Kingdom.

Spoiler: Maharaja Traillokyachandra Of Bihar - Not So Great
    Show

Later that month the Castle of Saptagrama finally fell to the Despot’s men. Now he had a decision to make.

Spoiler: Castle Of Saptagrama Falls
    Show

He could try to march east and see if he could engage the enemy army again. Or he could continue to siege the County, taking the holdings one by one, slowly forcing his enemy to his knees.

The problem was his enemy would also be running around freeing holdings one by one. It bugged the Despot. It seemed to make him feel like he had seen this before.

He bent over the map in his tent and tried to remember where he had seen this very circumstances before.

Then it hit him - the Count Sudas starting a war to get his old Doux Title back. Of course the war ended when the Despot stepped in to help the new Duchess...

The Despot stopped in mid-thought and realized that if THIS war dragged on any longer it would be the Great King stepping in. If Gopala II won his war with the Raja he would then turn his attention towards the Despot with the FULL might of his restored Kingdom.

The Despot stomped out of his tent and shouted, “Prepare the men! WE march!”

The Despot’s army broke camp and marched east. And they took the Raja’s forces by surprise. The Battle of Pancharatna was a one-side affair. The Despot had no archers remaining and after the first weak volley from the enemy’s few archers the Despot's forces rushed in to engage at close quarters. The enemy lines broke. The cavalry poured in, running down the fleeing soldiers, and the battle was won. The Despot’s casualties were 32 men while the Raja lost over 200 soldiers.

Spoiler: The Battle of Pancharatna
    Show

The Despot directed his army back to the County of Saptagrama. As they set up their next siege the Despot received rumors and hints that the Raja MIGHT be willing to surrender the County of Pundravardhana at this point.

The Despot sent a formal request for the end of the war in return of the fulfillment of his demands. The reply in June from the Raja was a "Yes" to his demands - he had won the war and the title to the county!

Spoiler: The Pundravardhana War Comes To An End
    Show

His men abandoned the siege and started to march north - heading home. And so we close this chapter with the Despot being happy and stress free with a slightly bigger Kingdom. Things could only get better from here.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

Chapter Ninety-One : The March Of Suffering

Cancer

We open in this chapter in June, in the year 818 AD, as the Despot and his army slowly head north. We find him riding in his wagon with a small lit lamp hanging from the swaying ceiling as he counts up the loses from the battles and sieges. It turned out that men killed in action from his ranks numbered only 860 while the Raja lost 4,649 soldiers.

Of course this did not include the loses that the Bengal Band suffered at the hands of the Great King Gopala II. The Band had lost 1,124 men while the Great King only 660 soldiers in those two battles. Of course paid scum don't count when you really think about it. But it did alert the Despot to the fact that the Great King Gopala II was very skilled at military affairs for such a new King.

The Despot had noticed the lack of archers within his ranks during the battles. He needed to do something to correct that somehow. He was making a note to himself about increasing the archers in his ranks when the pain hit.

Spoiler: My Tummy Hurts!
    Show

Serapion examined the Despot, asked him a series of questions, and then announced the Despot had cancer. He decided the best treatment was to bleed the Despot and restore the balance of his humors.

Spoiler: Bloodletting? Ewwww...
    Show

As the military column slowly continued north the Despot still felt wrong. He couldn't pin it down to why it was happening and had to ask his Court Physician back.

Spoiler: Something Is Still Wrong...
    Show

Serapion examined the Despot again and announced that the mysterious feelings of being ill were results of having cancer. To remedy the pain the Physician rubbed scented oil onto the Despots stomach and told his Liege to do that every morning.

Spoiler: Scented Oils?
    Show

The Despot was miserable. The wagon was always shaking and it was slow going when you had over two thousand soldiers with you. And that did not count the hundreds of other supply wagons, camp followers, and thousands of horses. The Despot wanted so much to be home already!

Then he suffered a shooting pain. It stopped but he demanded Serapion attend him again.

Spoiler: Chest Pains!
    Show

As the Physician checked on him the column finally crossed the border into the County of Pundravardhana - the newest territory of the Kingdom of Kamarupa. He ordered, from his sick bed, that the levies go home.

Spoiler: Salty Water?
    Show

“My Liege,” said Serapion after a few hours poking and prodding the Despot, “I believe the pain is caused by-”

“Cancer,” cut in the Despot with a glare.

“Yes, my Liege,” replied Serapion. “How did you guess?”

“Oh, just a feeling.”

The man suggested the Despot drink salty water. This of course, induced vomiting. Funny enough, the Despot did feel a tad better after such treatment. Or maybe afterwards he was so weak and tired that he didn’t notice the pain?

Late August he got a letter from his wife which cheered him up. She was pregnant.

Spoiler: Another Royal Baby On The Way
    Show

But he also received some confusing news later. It seemed his daughter Theophanous, who he was SURE had been given a educational pathway to follow was not being taught anything at all. Somebody had dropped the ball on that one. So he ordered she be taught about money and bookkeeping.

Spoiler: Somebody Messed Up...
    Show

He was also told that the Raja Shurapala of Shantideva Raj had won his war with Thakurani Kanchani for a second time.

Spoiler: Raja Shantideva Won Again
    Show

As his wagon rolled into the Palace and he was slowly removed from it to be taken to his private chambers his Magistros Loukas notified him of some good news. It seemed the one-eyed Councilor had improved relations with Baron Samudravarman of Numaligarh.

But being in his own home surrounded by his family, friends, servants, guards, and dogs didn’t help him. He still felt ill and called for Serapion to examine his Royal person. Of course it was cancer. Again. This time he made the Despot jog daily around the Palace.

Spoiler: Jogging Cures Cancer?
    Show

According to the private papers of the Despot he was starting to understand why his mother didn’t like HER Court Doctor.

After another check up it was announced that the Despot definitely had Cancer.

“Wait,” said the Despot looking a tad upset, “you mean you put me through all those treatments and didn’t really know?”

“Er...”

“I want you to cure this - even if you have to do something totally new!” demanded the Depot.

Spoiler: Try Something NEW!
    Show

It took Serapion a few days to prepare for the next treatment but at least it was something totally new.

Spoiler: He Tried Something NEW!
    Show

He cut off one of the Despot’s legs. Luckily the Despot was drugged and felt little of the pain. In the end the operation worked. The Liege was cured of his cancer.

So we close this chapter with the Despot back home from the war and missing a leg.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

Chapter Ninety-Two : It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To

Making Meat Pies For the Festival

We open this chapter in October, in the year 818 AD, with the Despot deciding that he should celebrate both his victory on the battlefield and his victory against death. He announced that the Kingdom would celebrate with a feast. It had been a long time since the last one and he wanted to enjoy an old fashion party.

Spoiler: Time To Celebrate!
    Show

As the riders left the Palace, each with a written invite for a Vassal, the Despot made sure to select a necklace for his wife.

After he selected the necklace and he retired to his private chambers, his crutches making tapping noises onto the floor, his Spy Master came to him with heart breaking news. The Duchess Eusenia, a woman who had always been supportive and loyal, had started a Faction To Increase Council Power In Kamarupa.

Spoiler: The Duchess And The Faction
    Show

It seems her opinion of the Despot had crumbled over time. She wanted more holdings and his injury had made him less appealing in her eyes. It looks like saving her from an assassination was, in hindsight, a stupid idea. He realized he could no longer trust her. And on top of that he owed her a favor. She might use it to demand he give the Council some of his power. She would not even to need to threaten the Despot with war to do so.

Spoiler: Party Poopers
    Show

A few days later two Vassals sent in their refusal letters. They didn’t even bother with an excuse. Compared to the earlier news about the Duchess their letters were nothing. These lesser Vassals were nobodies.

Spoiler: More Vassals
    Show

With the new county he now had twelve Vassals. Most of them liked him and all of them gave up a certain percentage of their income. After the feast he would have to find ways to get more of them to have a higher opinion of their liege.

Later that month it came to his attention that a crazy woman was blackmailing him. For some reason he decided to handle it himself. It seemed he wanted no other people to know about what was happening.

Spoiler: Blackmail!
    Show

A few days later the Palace was ready for the celebration. The cooks had readied a menu for every day of the feast and the servants had decorated the dining halls and public rooms. As the guests started to arrive they were greeted with cool drinks and playful court jesters.

Spoiler: The Guests Are Here!
    Show

As the Despot enjoyed the food and friends he was still doing his duties. Even while people enjoyed the fresh pastries and strong wines he ordered both his Protostrator and Sakellarios to the County of Pundravardhana. One was to keep the peasants under control as it was said the populace was not happy with their new liege. The other was there to study the local economy and see what could be done to improve on it. The old Trade Post had been torn down and rebuilding a new one would take time and require updating much of the roads and river wharves of the region.

Spoiler: County of Pundravardhana
    Show

The Mage appeared but this time he had a new trick. Instead of a rope he had three cups and a ball. He placed the ball under one of the cups and then moved them so quickly it was hard to remember which cup had the ball. He then invited the Despot to find the ball.

Spoiler: Where Is the Ball?
    Show

The Despot picked the middle one but it was the wrong cup. The cups had been moving too fast for him to follow and now he felt a tad foolish.

Spoiler: Not There!
    Show

As the party continued the Despot was given some good news. It seems that the people of the County of Goalpara had embraced the Greek culture.

Spoiler: County of Goalpara Became Greek
    Show

After that it was time to give out the traditional gifts. The Queen was pleased with her new necklace. Soon it was the high point of the feast. The candles were lit and the guests enjoyed the delightful meal the cooks had prepared. Plus the best wine from the cellars. Truly, light and hope was stronger than darkness and despair.

Spoiler: Light And Dark
    Show

Later the Despot was pulled to one side by a attendant and made aware that the crazy woman who had threatened him with blackmail had started spreading evil rumors about him. He found himself totally depressed by the time he rejoined the party. When the feast ended the Despot pretended to be happy in public but his writings show that he was very much in a dark place.

Spoiler: Peace And Depression
    Show

So we close this chapter with a peaceful Kingdom of Kamarupa and a Despot Andronikos Dysnomia who was deep in depression.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

Chapter Ninety-Three : Needing A Vacation

Working Hard Or Hardly Working?

We open this chapter in November, in the year 818 AD, as the Despot entered the dining room the Council used for their meetings with their liege. After decades if use it had become known as the Council’s Meeting Chamber by much of the Palace staff.

The Despot carefully sat down at the head of the table, leaning his crutches against the table, and nodded to the Councilors already sitting in their seats. They had learned that the Despot, after the loss of his leg, did not like to be kept waiting.

The Councilors had been asked here to give him a review of the new Vassals and also an overview of the Kingdom as a whole.

The County of Pundravardhana had the castle, which he controlled, plus two cities and two Buddhist temples. In other words he now had two new Mayors and new religious leaders as part of his Royal Court. The Council had investigated the new Vassals and were now presenting their findings.

Spoiler: Four New Vassals
    Show

One of the Mayors was power hunger, wanting a position on the Council, and he disliked the Despot greatly. The Other Mayor was okay with the Despot while the Buddhists seemed to be very happy with their new Ruler.

The Despot felt the Duchess's eyes on him. He knew she wanted the Council to have more power and she knew he knew. It made such meetings somewhat uncomfortable for everyone.

Spoiler: Cultural Map
    Show

The Council moved onto the next item on the review. They pointed out that five out of the nine counties of the Kingdom of Kamarupa had embraced the Greek culture. AND all three Trade Posts were pulling in more profit than the rest of the Silk Road combined. Which wasn’t that hard with the rest of the Silk Road being cut off from Europe by the Pala Civil War. Of course there was more than ONE Silk Road to the Far East but the Despot doubted this comforted those in the Middle East, for example, whose trade was cut off by the fighting in India.

Spoiler: Silk Road
    Show

As the Despot dismissed the Council and they filed out he adjusted his peg-leg. He was still not use to being handicap. He sometimes still felt the missing leg. Sometimes it itched.

In December after a military session where he found new ways to motivate soldiers to fight harder and hold their ground he realized that leading men in future battles was unlikely. Not with a missing limb. He needed to focus his energy elsewhere. He also needed to find a way to cure his depression.

Spoiler: My Men Will Be A Stonewall!
    Show

Later that month he decided to focus his energy and studies on Theology. Maybe learning more about Buddha and meditation would help him?

Spoiler: A New Focus
    Show

A few days after that he announced he would be going on a Pilgrimage. And like his mother had done so many years ago he was going to visit Bodh Gaya where Buddha found enlightenment.

Spoiler: Pilgrimage To Bodh Gaya
    Show

Of course even as he started to prepare for his spiritual journey he still had a Kingdom to run. For example Chinanch Sangramazk needed guidance from her more experienced teacher, the Despot Andronikos. He helped her become diligent though the result was adding stress to his life on top of the depression.

Spoiler: Helping Chinanch
    Show

Luckily his dog Faithful was around to help cheer him up. In fact the hunting dog made him feel so much better he overcame his stress and depression.

Spoiler: Good Dog!
    Show

He was in such a good mood that he didn’t roll his eyes at the fact that the Royal Court had another baby joining it.

Spoiler: A New Baby Courtier
    Show

Faranarz Sangramazk and Sumaise “The Troubadour” had given birth to a baby boy they named Karz Faramarzzk. The Despot suggested the boy focus on etiquette and good manners.

Soon he was all packed up and ready to go. But even as he was about to start his journey there were some small details he had to deal with.

Spoiler: All Packed
    Show

Nikodemos Dysnomia had become fixated on an old hat which was too big for his head. The Despot had explained that the hat was just too big and would never fit but the his Grandson demanded the Despot make it fit. The Despot refused and the boy decided his Grandfather was "a meanie".

Spoiler: Brat!
    Show

Even as his Regent escorted the Despot out the Palace’s front gates she alerted him to the fact that he had one too many holdings and that his Vassals were upset by this.

Spoiler: His Regent
    Show

“I will deal with my demesne being too big when I return,” he stated as he waved good bye to his family and joined his personal guard who were waiting for him on the road

So we close this chapter with the Despot‘s party heading off to cure him of the stress and depression he no longer felt.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Chapter Ninety-Four : Bodh Gaya

Bodhi Tree

We open this chapter in February, in the year 819 AD, with the Despot and his party on their way to see where Buddha became enlightened.

One problem with going to Bodh Gaya was the fact that the Holy Site was within the Kingdom of Bihar. With the Revolt going on and the fact that the ruling Great King of Bihar had no love for the Despot such a journey was not without its dangers.(1)

Still, the Despot and his guards looked somewhat harmless. To anybody traveling on the roads all they saw was a older man with a missing leg being escorted by hired thugs. He wore simple clothing and traveling gear, nothing flashy or rich looking. No reason to invite bandits, after all.

Every once and awhile he would be carried by some of his men as his missing leg would sometimes bother him but much of the time he moved under his own power. The roads, at least in some areas, were well maintained. And the closer one gets to Bodh Gaya the more taverns were available.

Spoiler: Become A Backer To Kill Theodoros Toxias?
    Show

Amazingly a rider all the way from Europe STILL found them on the road and handed the Despot a sealed letter. Seems Theodoros Toxias's murderous aunt was asking the Despot to join her plot. Of course he refused.

One day, as they started to set up their tents, they were invited to share the camp site of a rich Vaishya merchant from the south. The Despot and his men were thankful for the kind act. Not only was there safety in numbers but the merchant shared some of his food with the "harmless pilgrims". (2)

Spoiler: Harmless Pilgrims
    Show

In March the Despot and his men finally arrived at Bodh Gaya. They had met no bandits nor had any problems with the local authorities. Now the Despot would seek to learn.

Spoiler: Bodh Gaya!
    Show

There were so many temples and so many people. The Despot realized he really had his choice of pathways. Where to start? What to do first? In the end he decided the place to start was within one's self. Meditation was the best way to reach enlightenment.

Spoiler: Meditation Is His Way
    Show

The Despot's party started heading back home. They stopped at the same taverns and made sure to steer clear of any groups of adventurers on quests. In April they received a letter from a rider coming from the Palace. The Queen had given birth to another baby. A boy she named Valerios. She also decided that the boy would be tutored by the Councilors and Nobles. This worried the Despot a tad - it seemed she planned for the boy to be a ruler of some kind.

Spoiler: A New Son
    Show

By the middle of April he had returned to the Palace, happier and more experienced. After a day of resting to recover from his long travels the Regent, and the Council, stepped down. The Despot was now officially in power again. Which allowed him to take care of the only problem still on his plate - having too many holdings.

Spoiler: Back Home And In Charge
    Show

On the 14th he gave his daughter, Princess Arminestra, the County of Pundravardhana. Not only did this solve his problem but it meant that the Princess would gain some experience with leadership before she became the next Queen. True, the Princess was known for being greedy and cruel but this would make her all the better at collecting taxes. Now those new vassals would be hers to deal with.

Spoiler: A New Countess
    Show

She packed up and started to move, with her husband and three sons, to her new seat of power in Pundravardhana before the day had ended.

So we end this chapter with a smaller Royal Court, a happier and healthier Despot, and a brand new Countess.

Author’s End Notes:

1. Queen Arminestra's visit to the Holy Site, in 783 AD, happened when the Kingdom of Pala was still whole and the Old Great King still liked her.

2. Vaishya is one of the four classes of the Hindu social order in Nepal and India. Vaishyas were traditionally involved in agriculture and cattle-rearing but over time also become landowners, traders, and money-lenders.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

Chapter Ninety-Five : Tour Of India

India, April, 819 AD

In this chapter we will take a look at India. Not all of it just some of the most powerful and most interesting of the realms. It will help use get an idea of what is happening in India.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Kamarupa
    Show

Let us start with the Kingdom of Kamarupa. A Buddhist realm with over two thousand soldiers and a one-legged ruler with a lot of children who murdered his own brother. He owns two dogs and seems to get along with most of his vassals. Kind of a boring guy to be honest so lets move to his neighbor.

Maharaja Gopala II of Pala Kingdom is dealing with a Revolt with one of his Rajas - a brother. Having over four thousand men helps. Along with being both brave and deceitful which always helps when one is in the middle of a war which one is winning.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Pala
    Show

Once won it is likely he will go after many of the claims he has - much of which are territories that once belonged to his father.

Let us move on to the next interesting realm. This is Raja Dharmarstha “Iron side” of Somavamsi Raj. He is a powerful man, for a “Duke”, having subdued two other realms. These realms now pay him tribute and can’t declare war on him. One of which is the Kingdom of Bihar.

Spoiler: Somavamsi Raj
    Show

This makes his realm very powerful - as you can see from the map. How he did so much with so little so is a interesting question. Even as I write this he is involved in another war with a much smaller realm. I doubt he will be defeated.

West of him is the Maharaja Tejapala of Ayudha Kingdom. We’re heard of this Kingdom before on the Top Seven Lists I sometimes write about. The current ruler is a lover of food but shrewd and a master of schemes.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Ayudha
    Show

If you glance at how many in his family who had died from “unnatural” causes you can see how such skills would be important. He also seems to be involved in the Rashtrakuta Revolt.

Let us move south. Maharaja Sharva “The Fat” of the Rashtrakuta Kingdom is a unmarried dull, lazy, insane, lover of food and drink. He happens to be involved in two wars, one of which is with the Revolt rocking his Kingdom. He is also in hiding. But is it because somebody wants to kill him or because he is paranoid would be hard to tell. There was no evidence of him being paranoid though there was more than enough to show he was dull.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Rashtrakuta
    Show

Maybe the Revolt had driven him to his current state or his current state caused the Revolt? Hard to say since the Revolt seemed to have always existed whenever we focused on this region in the past. Let’s move on.

Spoiler: The Rashtrakuta Revolt
    Show

The next person on our list is easy to pick. Paramesvara Charuponnera of Rashtrakuta Revolt is not much better than the man he is rebelling against. Insane, cruel, deceitful, and likes to speak in tongues. He has a lot of children but that’s what you get with one wife and two concubines.

Spoiler: Pandya Raj
    Show

Let us go south again to meet Raja Parakesaripanmar of Pandya Raj. A strong man with a quick temper whose realm is somewhat protected from the rest of India by the Kingdom of Rashtrakuta who are so busy fighting each other to do anything else. But, funny enough, it also traps him in a corner without any pathways to expand.

Now let us move across the water to meet the Maharaja Mahinda II “The Chaste” of Lambakanna. A island realm in the middle of a Civil War led by a man who is insane and suffering from food poisoning. The Maharaja is also dull and content and lazy. Not really the best traits one wishes to find in a leader. Oh, and he was also paranoid.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Lambakanna
    Show

On the other hand he was a Buddhist and one who had no axe to grind with the Despot. There may be some weddings between the two Families - if the Maharaja lasted long enough to approve such arrangements.

Let us head back up north to where the Far East meets the Middle East. Lets visit the Maharaja Vanaraja of Chawda Kingdom. This realm is a small one ruled by a man with few positive traits and no skills at stewardship. This is amazing when you take into account what is happening to the north of him. The very fact he has survived so long is amazing.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Chawda
    Show

So let us head back north.

The Maharaja Khuman of the Guhilot Kingdom is in the middle of what we can only call a War Zone. He is in the doorway to India. Invaders from the Middle East or Asia have to deal with him.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Guhilot
    Show

On top of that he seems to have involved himself with a couple of wards one of which was the Rashtrakuta Revolt to the south. Not the best idea when you take into account his two neighbors.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Punjab
    Show

One neighbor, to his north, is the Maharaja Begluk “The Conqueror” of Punjab. A Pagan with many claims and likely the coolest nickname in India. A man who was also cruel, zealous, and battle hardened. He had a lot of claims and one of the largest armies in India. A man so powerful that there was a Defenses Pact formed to try to keep him in check.(1)

And on the border of India was Sultan Amr “The Cruel” of the Taghlibid Sultanate. Another man with many claims and not much else. He was in debt, he had a lisp and a tiny army.

Spoiler: The Taghlibid Sultanate
    Show

The only positive note is his willingness to take any woman of any background as a wife and his skills in battle are okay. He is a follower of Islam and if he does well may bring this religion to large parts of western India.

We end this chapter with a map of India showing the major religions and where they were strongest. As you can see there is a lot of overlap.

Spoiler: Religions Of India
    Show

Thank you my lovely readers. Now, as I close the book, put out the oil lamp, and clean my fingers of the ink, may I invite you all to make sure to return when the story returns to the Kingdom of Kamarupa.

Author’s End Notes:

1. It seems nobody trusts him.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

Chapter Ninety-Six : Happy Buddhists

Religious Powers

We open the chapter in April, of the year 819 AD, when the Despot is notified by his network of nosy servants and spies that the Duchess Eusebia no longer has any issues with her liege.

Spoiler: Duchess Likes The Despot Again
    Show

In fact she seemed to be of a somewhat positive opinion of him. It seems that going to a Holy Site has raised him in her eyes.

Spoiler: A New Law Giving The Despot More Power
    Show

Later that month the Despot decided, as the religious leaders seem to be in a good mood, to pass a mandate to seize titles of heathens and heretics. Of course, as the Council has no powers to veto it, it passed.

Spoiler: A Future Militia Training Ground
    Show

It was almost like the Despot was in a mood to get things done. For in the same day he ordered that the Castle of Haruppeswara build a Militia Training Ground. It would take almost a year and cost about 143 gold coins. But it would increase the number of trained light infantry and archers available to the county levies.

Spoiler: A New Warrior!
    Show

Later that month a noble warrior, a man who said he was a veteran, appeared at the gates. He promised to defend the Despot's family and house if he would be allowed to join the Despot's retinue.

Spoiler: A New Greek Marriage!
    Show

The Despot not only accepted the man into his Court but made Theoktistos, who was strong, brave, and loyal, his Designated Regent. He also decided to marry the man off to Anratasene Cowaske, who was depressed but at least Buddhist and Greek. The Despot noted to himself that Theokristos would make a good future Commander after he produced a few children.

By the end of April the County of Pudravardhana seemed to be under control. The revolt risk has lowered to the pointed of being nonexistent. The Protostrator Inoustinianos was called back to the Capital-County of Kamarupanagara to train the military and the Commanders.

Spoiler: The Countess Passes Her Own Law
    Show

By May his daughter had made the vassals of the County of Pindravadhana pass the law that allowed her to revoke some titles. He approved - showed her focus was to strengthen her grasp over the county. She would prove a good Queen.

Spoiler: A New Commander Is Selected
    Show

In May he noticed he needed a new Commander and selected Euphemios Tati. A Good man. Maybe not the best but still good enough.

Sadly shortly after this the Despot became tired all the time and complained in his writings of being without energy. His mind was sharp but his body seemed to be failing him. Moving around on his crutches became a huge chore.

Spoiler: The Despot Became Infirm
    Show

As he tried to keep himself active, visiting the balconies daily to have his noon meal outside, he still kept an eye on the Royal Court. For example, Prince Ioulianos had another baby, a boy, which the father named Andronikos. The Despot, while he had been pleased when his daughter’s first kid had been named Andronikos, was not so pleased with this one. He felt it was either his son trying to be a kiss up OR maybe suggesting HE should be the next one to sit on the throne.

Spoiler: Another Grandson
    Show

The Despot demanded that the boy learn about Buddhism and Greek culture. It was a way to try to steer the boy away from any subjects or education that would suggest future leadership. The Despot was NOT going to change his mind - his eldest daughter would be the next ruler. And that was that.

By June his maimed leg stump had healed and much of the pain was gone. But not all - it was still uncomfortable and he still felt sapped of energy.

Spoiler: The Despot Healed
    Show

Later that month the Duchess finally disbanded her Faction. The Despot was pleased as now she was no longer a threat. He was very sensitive about issues within his Kingdom. Hard not to be aware and wary about such things when one was watching the rest of India collapse under revolts, civil wars, and border clashes.

Spoiler: The Duchess Disbanded Her Faction
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Despot infirm but no longer in pain, with a more stable Kingdom but a son who might be thinking about a future that was not to be.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Chapter Ninety-Seven : Public Works

Clearing The Wilds

We open this chapter in July, in the year 819 AD, when the Magistros Loukas was alerting the Despot to a new tradition. It seems the County of Srihatta was having meet ups where peasants from different villages would dance and feast and pair up. Many of these pairings would end up in marriages. If the Despot promoted this idea he could help the county develop a stronger culture which would attract more peasants. That might also increase businesses!

Spoiler: Meet Ups In Srihatta
    Show

Of course the Despot agreed with such a plan as he always did. True, it cost him over 21 gold coins but in the end he would likely make that back and more.

Spoiler: Another Militia Training Ground
    Show

Later in the month he ordered that his Castle in the County of Kundina build a local Militia Training Ground. He really wanted to try to increase the archers available to his armies.

The accountants brought him the numbers around this time also. Trade was bringing in over 420 gold coins yearly. That was about 58% of the Despot's total income.

Spoiler: I'm Rich! Rich!
    Show

In August Theodoros Toxias and Kyra had given birth to a baby boy they named Stephanos. The boy was born with his mom's pleasing physique which would make him a lady-killer when he grew up.

Spoiler: Stephanos
    Show

The Despot also decided the boy should learn about math and thinking outside the box. He would be smart and pretty.

In September his wife announced she was pregnant. It seemed that while he complained about being tired the Despot still had enough energy for "certain" pursuits.

Spoiler: ANOTHER Royal Baby?
    Show

In October the Despot sent the Magistro to the County of Bikrampur to fabricate a claim. The county had a Castle and a City. It had land to expand into if need be AND was on the Silk Road. Perfect for the next piece of India to conquer.

Spoiler: Trying To Make A Claim
    Show

Then the Magistro, at the age of 63, died. The first thing the Despot did was marry off the widow to Yase. The Despot did, for a moment, think about making her a concubine. Maybe it was because she had a missing hand and seemed to lean towards liking the Despot. Also, Yase was insane and the Despot wondered if he would not be dooming her to a life of horror. But he decided against taking her for himself. There was no emotional link to work with. And he was trying to FIGHT his lust not encourage it.

Spoiler: Marryng Off The Widow
    Show

He then selected Kalodaye Ekasrinkesoya as the next Magistros (Chancellor). He, of course, was sent to Bikrampur to work on the claim. He wasn't a bad man - humble, content, and brave. But he was pretty old. 72 years old!

Spoiler: The New Magistros
    Show

By December the Despot decided the Hospital needed more then just some empty buildings and ordered that a properly stocked Sick House be built on the grounds. It would take almost a year and cost WAY more than he wanted to part with. But his missing leg kind of reminded me of the need for such a place of healing.

Spoiler: We Need A Sick House
    Show

Near the end of December while he was enjoying the view from one of his many balconies he received news that the Maharaja Tejapala of the Kingdom of Ayudha now had his OWN Revolt to deal with. Now he was in two wars. It seemed chaos was spreading within India.

Spoiler: The Kingdom Of Ayudha Is Now In TWO Wars
    Show

So we close the chapter with the Despot having started many projects and having a new Magistros.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

Chapter Ninety-Eight : Sympathy For The Freeloaders

Are All Religions Valid?

We open this chapter in December, of the year 819 AD, with the Despot deciding he was going to celebrate the seasonal feast. True, it was kind of late in the year. In fact almost the end of the year. But he was in a somewhat good mood and wanted to party.

Spoiler: Belated Seasonal Feast
    Show

After sending the invites he selected the traditional gift for his wife. Once again it was a necklace. Amazingly nobody among his Vassals refused - all nine of them were coming to party. The Princess, the Duchess, all the Bhikkhi, Mayors, and Barons were all willing to come. The Despot would have to order extra pudding!

Spoiler: The Cooks Were Very Busy
    Show

The preparations were done by January of the next year. The Palace had flowers and tapestries all over the walls as the kitchens were overflowing with dishes made from rice, many types of meats. many types of fruits, and of course many types of sauces. And the finest wines were selected from the Despot's private stock. As the guests started to arrive they were greeted with platters of sweet pastries and juggling clowns.

Spoiler: Guests And Gifts
    Show

When it came time to pass out the gifts the Queen was very happy with her gift. It seemed that you could never go wrong with a necklace. Soon it was the height of the feast. The candles and oil lamps were lit as the guests downed the best wine and wolfed down the richest of foods. Truly, it was a time of light and hope under the leadership of the Despot.

Spoiler: End Of The Feast
    Show

Sadly, as all other feasts, this one had to come to an end. But it was a good one - everybody had come and nothing had gone wrong. No wars, no illnesses, no monkey attacks.(1)

After the party the Despot found himself in a good mood. And when he was in a good mood he had a habit of thinking too much. And he started to think about all the Christians in his realm.

He wondered about them and the many types of religions in the world. Surely not all of them could be right? Buddha was the only true teacher of peace and happiness. Yet...

It dawned on him. Just because there were so many religions did not mean they were all wrong. Could they not each hold a piece of truth? And wasn't Buddhism about truth? Could they all be right and all be valid?

Spoiler: Sympathy For The God Fearing
    Show

From his writings it is believed that at this point the Despot found sympathy for Christendom.

So we close with a late seasonal feast held in the wrong season and a Despot who was becoming more open minded towards his Greek Freeloaders.

Author’s End Notes:

1. Monkey party crashers were a common danger in those days.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Chapter Ninety-Nine : Building A Kingdom

Archers Practicing. Badly.

We open this chapter in February, in the year 820 AD, as the Despot is reviewing his military. It seems he was missing another Commander and decided to select Theoktistos. He was one of the best military leaders not yet a Commander.

Spoiler: Theoktistos - New Commander
    Show

He also ordered his Sakellarios to help with the building of the Sick House in the Capital-County of Kamarupanagara. That could help speed up the project.

Spoiler: Working On The Sick House
    Show

As the Despot started a more general review of his realm, trying to find children who needed guidance and Courtiers who needed spouses, he got a report that the Raja Shurapala of Shantideva Raj was now known as "The Cruel". To be honest the Despot was not sure WHY the Raja had earned such a title. After all his own mother had received the nickname and she had barely done anything to anybody.

Spoiler: The Cruel Raja
    Show

He found no children in need of help though he did find out the Duchess had a blind military Commander. They even called him Sabas The Blind. The thing was he had no skills in the field of the military arts so the Despot was not sure HOW the man had become a Commander in the first place.

Spoiler: A Blind Commander?
    Show

By the end of the month he grew bored with his own affairs and demanded information about the outside world.

The Maharaja Gopala II of Pala Kingdom was still waging his war against his own vassal who was also his brother. It also seems he had upset his religious vassals in some way. The Kingdom of Pala had seen better days.

Spoiler: Great King Gopala II
    Show

His neighbor and brother the Maharaja Traillokyachandra of Bihar was still under the thumb of the Raja Dharmarstha and still dealing with a war. Over the years he had become VERY skilled in combat in the jungle and was known for being somewhat aggressive. No doubt from all the years fighting. And losing.

Spoiler: Great King Traillokyachandra
    Show

In March the Militia Training Ground in the County of Haruppeswara was finished. Which gave the Despot a few more archers to add to his levies.

Spoiler: New Militia Traning Ground For Haruppeswara
    Show

In April Basillike of Dimapur was born to Theoktistos, the newest Commander. Sadly the mother, Amratasene Cowaske, died during labor. The Despot decided the girl should spend the first part of her education learning about Greek Culture and Buddhism. Well, at least the man had produced ONE kid.

Spoiler: Basillike Of Dimapur
    Show

Later that month the Despot was told something alarming. Somebody wanted the Princess Arminestra dead.

"Well, tell Ayardhyame to stop plotting!" demanded the Despot. "I already had one person killed for trying to do that and I will do it again! Remind her that the person I killed was my own brother who I had poisoned."

Spoiler: Heck NO!
    Show

"Of course my Liege," said the Spy Master.

In May another baby girl was born to the Despot and his Queen. Named Anthe she was set on the pathway of Faith.

Spoiler: Another Royal Princess
    Show

Maybe she could become a Buddhist Nun? The Despot hoped so. The future Queen was going to end up with a lot, A LOT, of siblings. Hopefully most of them could be married off to good spouses and would create new branches of the family far, FAR, away from the Kingdom.

So we end the chapter with a new Commander, a new Militia Training Grounds, and a new Princess.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113

Chapter One Hundred : The Bold!

A Sick House

We open in May, in the year 820 AD, with two new Freeloaders entering the Royal Court. Komitas and Sabas were members of the Iconoclast Heresy and both leaders of peasant revolts. Which explained why they were in India and not in Greece.

Spoiler: More Freeloaders?
    Show

Still, just because the Despot felt some sympathy for the religion did not mean he felt sympathy for idiots who tried to take down the Byzantine Empire with pitchforks and clubs. As they say, don't weep for the stupid you'll be crying all day. So in his mind the Freeloaders were still dangerous and needed to be kept an eye on.

Spoiler: Chinanch All Grown Up
    Show

Later that month young Chinanch became a young lady worthy of being a member of any court. Of course, she needed a husband and the Despot had just the right one for her.

Spoiler: Marriage!
    Show

Theoktistos of Dimapur, who had a new baby and was now a widower, married Chinanch giving the man a wife and his baby daughter a mother.

Spoiler: Can't We All Get Along?
    Show

Near the end of the month the Despot tried to get two of his friends to get along but failed. His friends just didn't seem to like each other. It confused him a tad. How could his friends enjoy being with him and not with each other?

But then he received horrible news. And it was old news to boot. Herakleios, the Sakellarios (the Steward), had died. On the 18th of May!

Spoiler: Late News Or The Despot Being Lazy?
    Show

"Why is this news so late?" demanded the Despot.

"It isn't LATE sire," explained the Magistros. "We put it in your inbox weeks ago."

"Oh...oops...my fault..."

The Despot's heart went out first to his friend Yajinavati who was his friend and now a widow. This time he felt no problem with taking her as his Concubine.

Spoiler: New Concubine!
    Show

They were close friends with high opinions of each other and she was 51. Only a little older than him AND no longer able to have any more children. When she was told of her new station her opinion of her Liege increased! True, she wasn't lusty and she was a tad zealous but that just added spice to the relationship.

Spoiler: The Prince Gets A Job
    Show

As for Herakleios's replacement he picked his son Prince Ioulianos who was somewhat skilled at stewardship. Being part of the family meant he would likely be loyal, for the moment, and he wasn't a landowner which was good. The Despot, of course, sent his son to oversee the building of the Sick House.

He got mixed news in July. Nobody was plotting to kill the Princess anymore and none of the plots had any backers which meant it was unlikely any would be carried out.

Spoiler: Plots Under Control But The Duchess Is Acting Up Again
    Show

On the other hand the Duchess had started another Faction. She wanted to force Gavelkind Succession onto the Kingdom of Karmarupa!

"Is she insane?" asked the Despot when he received the news. "Nobody in the Kingdom would want THAT! That would weaken the Royal Family...of...I see..."

The Despot decided to wait and see. The Duchess was getting older. Maybe he could let Death come for her and handle the problem for him? Also plotting somebody's death always seemed to take more energy and money than it was worth.

Later that month he received slightly better news from the County of Kundina. The Militia Training Ground had been finished. Adding a dozen more archers to his levies.

Spoiler: More Archers!
    Show

In August he was given two pieces of very good news. First the County of Srihatta was prospering, much to the happiness of the people and the tax farmers.

Spoiler: County Of Srihatta Is Prospering
    Show

Also, the Sick House was finally finished in the Capital-County of Kamarupanagara. For some reason that news made him very happy, as it meant less people would be coughing on him. It did make him wonder if having a Sick House could have saved his leg?(1)

Spoiler: The Sick House Is Finished
    Show

By December he had gained the nickname of "The Bold" but no historians could find the source of this nickname.

Spoiler: The BOLD!
    Show

So we close the chapter with a new Sick House, a new Concubine, and a new Nickname.

Author’s End Notes:

1. It is said that the missing leg still haunts the land. It can be heard stomping around the forests at night looking for campers so it can sneak into their tents to steal individual socks. It seems to prefer wool over cotton. Sometimes it even steals a hiking boot. Oh, the inconvenience!

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114

Chapter One Hundred-One : Dynasty Tree

I have been asked about the Dynasty Tree. The game, in fact, has a few ways to look at the family tree and one of them is called "Dynasty Tree". The is the House Dysnomia. A total of 17 members of which 15 are still alive.

Spoiler: House Dysnomia
    Show

A close up shows names but cuts off the dead brother. If you look closely the green vines show your characters - the rulers or heads of the main branch of the family. They also show spouses. The rule seems to be current spouse unless everybody is dead - then the spouse who produced children with the ruler/character.

Spoiler: Close Up
    Show

Here he is. Dead and dead end as he produced no offspring.

Spoiler: Dead End
    Show

Let us compare this to another "Dynasty Tree". I also have a game in which I started out as a Doux in the Byzantine Empire. Let us check out the House Diogenes - a family I have been playing for 552 game years. A total of 1,486 members of which 206 are still alive. Even without many of the branches expanded to show all the members it would take a dozen images to show the tree. And there is the Despot I am playing right now (in this alternate universe).

Spoiler: House Diogenes
    Show

Many of the members are outside the Empire in Africa, Europe and the Middle East. The current ruler of the Byzantine Empire is of the Diogenes family (and my Daughter-in-law) as are many of the Kings, Despots, and Nobles of the realm are also related to me. Even if the Empire were to fall this game would not end - Crusader Kings II is about bloodlines not nations!

Spoiler: Daughter-In-Law
    Show

So we close this chapter with just a peek at how cool the interface of the game is.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

Chapter One Hundred-Two : The Despot Gets Old

A Hosting We Will Go!

We open this chapter in December, near the end of the year 820 AD, with the Despot noticing that Barbara, the daughter of his concubine, was not Buddhist. He asked her, and another of his Courtiers, to convert to Buddhism.

Spoiler: Barbara
    Show

While waiting he also noticed that one of the female Freeloaders, Eupraxia Neapolites, was not married and got her hooked up with a available bachelor.

Spoiler: Eupraxia Neapolites
    Show

Later that month Barbara, and the other courtier whose name was not important enough to remember, both sent the Despot the news that they were now Buddhists.

Spoiler: More Buddhists
    Show

In the year 821 AD the Despot realized he had done a good job at defeating his enemies and lost his feelings of ambition. Why be ambitious if you had already gained everything you ever wanted or reached for? Well, for now, anyway.

Spoiler: No More Ambitions
    Show

That month he also decided to order the construction of a Castle Town in the County of Srihatta. It would take about a year and cost over 146 gold coins but it would be worth it in the end.

Spoiler: A Castle Town In Srihatta Is Needed
    Show

In February he was alerted that Yase Narubho, the insane Courtier, was plotting to kill Princess Kale of Kamarupa.

“Does anybody know why?” the Despot demanded from his attendants and Councilors. Nobody had an answer.

Spoiler: Yase Wants To Kill Princess Kale
    Show

“Well, tell him to stop plotting,” ordered the Despot with a sigh. “And don’t bother to hide her. It would hurt her in the end to be trapped in her rooms for who knows how long.”

In February he also ordered the building of a Hospital in the County of Haruppeswara. Not only would it decrease the impact of illness in the county - but more healthy people meant more income.

Spoiler: Haruppeswara Needs A Hospital
    Show

Sadly, while the war within the Kingdom of Pala was still raging on, the Silk Road was now open and his income from trade had dropped as the goods and caravans continued on to the Middle East and Europe. It was clear that the Great King Gopala II was winning the war.

Spoiler: Profits Move To The West
    Show

News came from the west of the triumphant of the Zoroastrian Faith over the Manichean Faith. Not even the smartest of his Councilors could explain to him why this would be important to him.

Spoiler: Zoroastrian Faith...So?
    Show

In June the Despot noticed a army waiting outside his Palace.

Spoiler: A Brand NEW Host!
    Show

“Could somebody tell me who they are?” he asked his servants when he pointed it out to them.

Spoiler: Kemarcune Turtamid Claims Urabo
    Show

It turned out the Host belonged to Kemarcune Turtamid who had declared his intention to press his claim on the Realm of Urabo with force! He, and his son, had already left the Palace and joined the Host.

Spoiler: The Sides Who Will Fight For Urabo
    Show

“Urabo?” said the Despot to himself. “Good luck with that. That’s the one my brother almost co-ruled. If his wife had not died. Well, if she hadn't been killed.”

So we close this chapter with more converts, a Host, and the Despot turning 50 years old.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

Chapter One Hundred-Three : Progress Is Made

A Claim Is "Found"

We open this chapter in June, of the year 821 AD, with the Prince Ioulianos being sent to the County of Srihatta to oversee the building of the Castle Town.

Spoiler: The Prince In Srihatta
    Show

Duchess Eusebia "The Unready" was called back to the Capital-County to help find ways to spread the Greek culture.

Spoiler: The Duchess In Capital-County
    Show

After that the Despot noticed at least two women inside the Royal Court were single. Kakanvati Kamarupanagarid, a zealous 19 year old Buddhist with many good traits, was married to Caiytiska Prabhasesoya, a 18 year old Buddhist with some good traits also.

Spoiler: Two More Marriages
    Show

Yasodhara Cowasketkacer was a 22 year Buddhist. She was daughter of the old (dead) Doux, and sister to young (dead) Doux. She was married to the 32 year old Christian Komtas Yasodharid who was at least a honest person.

In August the Bhikkhu Anatolios came to the Despot asking him to stop risking his life with his escapades.

Spoiler: It's My Life!
    Show

The Despot refused, stating he would use as much hot spice on his food as he wished. And would continue to skip rope with his one good leg. The Bhikkhu was disappointed and felt his input had been dismissed out of hand. The private records of the Bhikkhu suggest that he envied the Despot's bravery.

In September the Despot was presented with much more delicate decision that had to be made. It seemed that Princess Arminestra expressed a wish to be on the Council. She, in fact, wanted the position of Skellarios, which was currently held by her brother, Prince Ioulianos. She was right - her skills in the field was slightly better than her brother's. But there was problems with putting her on the Council. The Prince would be upset with the Despot and so would many of his Vassals.

Spoiler: Pissing Off The Princess
    Show

In the end he refused his daughter and SHE became upset with her father. But while both choices would have caused problems this choice caused the least amount of damage.

In September he announced a tiger hunt. It was unsure why he did this. To get out of the Palace? To upset Bhikkhu Anatolios? Maybe to show he was still young at heart?

Spoiler: A Hunting We Will Go...
    Show

Two Vassals, out of the eight invited, refused to come.

Spoiler: Spoil Sports
    Show

Right before the Hunting Party left the Palace he tried to get his friends together, again, but it seems Serapion was just not a easy person to get along with.

Spoiler: Damn You Serapion!
    Show

The Hunting Party, with the elephants and servants and soldiers and tents and cooks and guides, reached the camp shortly afterwards.

Spoiler: Arriving At The Hunting Camp
    Show

Among the men were a few gamblers who enjoyed playing cards during the evenings, after dinner but before bedtime. The Despot joined in but decided to play with low stakes. He needed to make sure he had enough capital for future problems.

Spoiler: Card Games
    Show

It turned out the Despot was neither a poor card player nor a great card player. He was just good enough to win back anything he lost.

As October came he received a message that the Castle Town in Srihatta had been completed. This was ahead of schedule. His son had helped speed up the process!

Spoiler: Castle Town In Srihatta Completed
    Show

He also got the best news ever. His Magistros had finally "found" a claim on the County (Thikana) of Bikrampur held by the Thakur Madanpal of Bikrampur. Of course the Despot paid for it though it did cost more than 174 gold coins. And of course the Thakur Madanpal became furious with him.

Spoiler: We Have A CLAIM!
    Show

Sadly this news came right before the Hunt ended in failure. No tigers could be found. When he returned to the Palace he promised to return again to hunt tigers but deep inside he was more focused on the upcoming war.

Spoiler: Oh Well...Maybe Next Year?
    Show

He needed time to rebuild his treasury. But he knew he could not wait too long. The neighboring war was getting close to an end and he wanted to strike while the Great King’s troops were still occupied.

Spoiler: Working On Hearts And Minds
    Show

As he settled down, resting from the hunt, he recalled his Magistros and sent him to Dimapur. The county was rippling with negative opinions and the Despot wanted everything nice and calm within his own “House” before going to war. So the Magistros was told to work on improving relationships with the local vassals.

So we close this chapter with the Despot waiting for his funding to build up as he worked hard to make sure his Kingdom was stable as possible.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

Wow, folks, I am an idiot. I just noticed something. When the Princess Arminestra became a Countess and left for her new holdings she had three boys. But the Family Tree shows she now has a GIRL! I checked - she is less than a year old. I didn't get a announcement about that or I did and did not notice. I think because the Countess is no longer in my court I was not notified. Maybe I have to "Tag" my own daughter now to get reports on her. I thought family did NOT have to get tags.

Check out Chapter One Hundred-One - After Arminestra will come Anastasia! So two Queens after the Despot!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

Chapter One Hundred-Four : Putting Things In Order

Trade Issues

We open this chapter in October of the year 821 AD when the Despot is finding out, to his horror, that the Silk Road has been closed again.

Spoiler: Silk Road
    Show

Seems the Great King had NOT captured the County of Madhupur. Seems the Great King had been fooling around and only NOW was trying to take it. Or take it again. This war within the Pala Kingdom was starting to confuse the Despot. Half of the events happened in counties he had no access to - he had no incoming knowledge in which to piece together a picture of the war.

Spoiler: County Of Madhupur
    Show

"So he never occupied it," murmured the Despot, "or lost it and had to reoccupy it?"

"Either way," said the accountants, " the Silk Road has been cut off and yet we don't seem to be making money off it this time. This time it seems to be hurting us."

In fact it looked like it could take years before the Despot had enough money to go to war at this rate.

In December he received the distrubing news that Gandharavati Kaivarta, one of the children of the old Pusyamitra "The Lecher", had been burned at the stake by the Great King Traillokyachandra of Bihar. Seems burning people ran in the family.

Spoiler: Did She Weigh As Much As A Duck?
    Show

The Despot searched his court and found the last remaining child of the "Lecher". Courtier Prabhavati Kaivarta, who was 43 years old and a widow. The Despot of course got her married off to one of the Greek Freeloaders. A Christian named Sabas Prabhavati. (1)

Spoiler: Another Unimportant Marriage!
    Show

Due to the need for funding, fast, the Despot had the Sakellarios, Prince Ioulianos, recalled to the Capital-County of Kamarupa to collect taxes.

Spoiler: Go Collect Taxes!
    Show

In January of the year 822 AD the Despot found out that Barbara's new husband, Pankratios, had died from poor health. It was somewhat surprising as he had passed away at the age of 44 - he hadn’t been that old. So the Despot tried to find somebody who had proven themselves tough yet also kind for the Courtier’s new husband. Weeding out the cruel men and the power hungry men he found Biegute. A honest Court Physician of Punjab who was also a poet. True, he was 59 years old - but that just proved how tough he was.

Spoiler: Barbara Remarries
    Show

So he was invited to the Royal Court and married Barbara the second he showed up. His opinion of the Despot even seemed to increase - unlike many who, once they joined the court after being invited, seemed to dislike the Despot on sight. And did we mention he was a poet?

In February the Despot noticed he needed a new Commander. So he picked Caiytiska Prabhasesoya, a 19 year old Buddhist who was top of the list of the skilled warriors who was NOT a Commander already.

Spoiler: Commander Caiytiska Prabhasesoya
    Show

He also asked the Protostrator to stop training the Commanders and switch to training the soldiers.

Spoiler: Training The Troops
    Show

In March his spies notified him that the Princess Arminestra, Countess of Pundravardhana, was building a Trade Post. Which was perfect! If her income was increased so would the percentage she passed on to her father.

Spoiler: A Fourth Trading Post?
    Show

In April Theoktistos of Dimapur and Chinanch Sangramazk gave birth to a son named Meletios of Dimapur. The Despot selected the pathway of Heritage for the first stage of his education. He would learn more about the Buddhist faith and Greek culture.

Spoiler: Meletios Of Dimapur
    Show

We close the chapter in May, 822 AD, with a side by side comparison between the Despot Andronikos “The Bold” of Kamarupa and Maharaja Gopala II of Pala Kingdom. When looking at the military forces remember that the Pala have at least over a thousand hired swords mixed in with their levies. Also remember Gopala has to PAY to maintain those troops on the field, so it is unlikely his funding will increase as long as the war rages on.

Spoiler: The Stats
    Show

Still, it looks that when this war does start it will likely be the greatest war the Kingdom of Kamarupa has fought up to this point while under the House of Dysnomia. And it would be dangerously even between the two realms EVEN if the Despot launched the war this very moment.
    Author’s End Notes:

1. There are in fact more offspring alive - remember that the "Lecher" fooled around.
    Last edited by Valley; 2017-10-26 at 02:07 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

Chapter One Hundred-Five : Coins And Time

Stupid Dove!

We open this chapter in the month of May, in the year 822 AD, as the Despot settled into his throne and demanded some news from his servants.

"Tell me something interesting, something new," he asked from them.

"Well," one said looking a tad embarrassed. "You remember your rival Count Anktsas of Aksu...?"

"Yes," said the Despot. "Not that I really care...but what of him? Is he dead?"

"No, my liege," said the servant. "He made a friend. Aepak "The Cruel" who is Captain of the Aepak's Uyghur Band. He resides in Urbao."

Spoiler: Count Anktsas Gets A Friend
    Show

The Despot sat up and took notice. "So Anktsa is friends with a man who has a skilled army?"

"No," replied the servant. "Not a soldier to his name. Yet."

"Yet?"

"He is the Heir to the Akhun Clan," stated the servant. He walked over to the wall map and pointed out a large section of Uygur. "The Akhun Clan."

Spoiler: The Akhun Clan
    Show

"Er...okay, well tell me something else," responded the Despot trying to pretend he was NOT worried about his rival getting a powerful Horse Clan on his side.

"Princess Arminestra had a little girl," stated the servant, looking a tad nervous.

"Oh by Buddha's belly that's wonderful! When?"

"About a year ago," said the servant giving the Despot a piece of paper with as much information about the child as the servants could collect.

Spoiler: The NEXT Next Queen
    Show

"WHAT!?!" exclaimed the Despot as he grabbed the paper and scanned it. "Why was I told the news so late?"

"The Princess kept it to herself," replied the servant with a shrug.

"Where is the information about her education? What classes is she taking? Who is educating her?"

"The Princess is educating her and refuses to tell us anything about the girl's classes."

"Well, that's just silly!" said the Despot, crumbling the piece of paper up and throwing at the servant. "Oh well, if I trusted her with a county I guess I should trust her to decide how to educate her only daughter."

In August he received mixed news. The Great King Gopala II had finally stomped the revolt flat and ended the war. Peace had come to the Pala Kingdom.

Spoiler: Great King Gopala II Wins! Like That Is A Surprise
    Show

He was also told that he could usurp the title of Raj (Duchy) of Varendra from the current owner. It was because he had two of the three counties within the Duchy (over 66% of the holdings belonged to him).

Spoiler: Ready?
    Show

Of course it would cost him a 100 gold coins but would give him, and his descendents, claim to the County of Madhupur for as long as they held the new title. So of course he paid the price!

Spoiler: Go For IT!
    Show

Now that he was also the Doux of Varendra he could press a de jure ducal claim on the County of Madhupur anytime he wanted. Even the next Queen could do so if she wanted!

Spoiler: Choices
    Show

Of course, now he had three Duchies again and that upset his Vassals. So now he had to find out who he could trust to hold it. And that was easy. Countess Arminestra already held a county within the Duchy. So why not make her the Duchess?

Spoiler: Another Duchess!
    Show

And so the Countess became a Duchess and her opinion of her father went back up. He also found out that she had another baby on the way!

In September the Despot was notified that one of his daughters was now 12 years of age and needed the last leg of her education set out for her. He decided on philosophy and religion - always a good pathway for a future lady of the court.

Spoiler: What To Do With A Teenage Daughter?
    Show

In October the Despot was told that the County of Kamatapur was having issues with wild beasts and robbers. The Protostrator suggested a series of outposts to protect the peasants and it might help the populace even grow. The Despot paid for the outposts - it only cost him a little more than 15 gold coins.

Spoiler: More Outposts For Kamatapur!
    Show

In November the Bihar Civil War came to a close in a White Peace. This suggested that the Great King Traillokyachandra was not really as "Great" as he liked to think.

Spoiler: The Great King Traillokyachandra Was Defeated. Also Not A Surprise
    Show
    [CENTER][/CENTER

Peace had come to the land. Much to the Despot's unhappiness. He had wished for the Pala Kingdom to be knee deep in war when he declared his own war on it.

Spoiler: Peace For the Region
    Show

And then he got his wish a month later when Gopala II declared war on Raja Shurapala "The Cruel".

Spoiler: Another War
    Show

"That won't last long," grumbled the Despot. "I doubt we will have the money before the war ends."

Spoiler: Great King Goapala II VS. King Shurapala
    Show

"You forget something my liege," stated the Queen. "The Raja has a ally."

"A fighting-ally kind of ally or one of those non-aggressive allies who are useless?" he remarked.

"The fighting kind," she said with a smile. "Raja Nandivarman II "The Hunchbach" of Bana Raj. With a thousand soldiers."

Spoiler: An Ally To The Raja
    Show

The Despot thought about it for a few moments but then shook his head. "No, the Great King only has to take one county. He can sit there with his army and ignore anything else those two do."

"True," said the Queen. "But if you go to war with him you will have the advantage of knowing where all his men are at. AND if he moves to try to stop you he gives his other enemies time to make a comeback."

The Despot smiled. "Well, in the end it all comes down to timing. Will we get the funds we need before the Great King defeats the Raja and his ally? Only time will tell."

So we close this chapter with the Despot praying to Buddha for lots and lots of coins. And more time.
    Last edited by Valley; 2018-02-13 at 02:26 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

Chapter One Hundred-Six : Timing

The Great Kings Knee-Deep In War

We open this chapter in December, in the year 822 AD, shortly after the Christians celebrated the birth of the son of their unnamed God. A holiday called Christmas. Which seemed to be short for Christ Mass. Which is weird because the real name of the son of God was Yeshua Hamashiach. Or was it Yehoshua? Iesus? Which name was it?

But the Despot did not have time to try to figure out those crazy Europeans as he had just received news that cheered him up but likely scared the Great King Gopala II. It seemed that the Raja had hired something like ten thousand hired soldiers.

Spoiler: Dogs Of War
    Show

"Oh," said the Despot with a smile to his Council, "this is going to be good."

In January India became rocked by another explosion of violence when a three-way war started between the Kingdom of Bihar, the Kingdom of Ayudha, and the Ayudha Revolt.

Spoiler: Three-Sided War
    Show

Later that month Raja Shurapala called his ally to join him and Raja Nadivarman accepted his call to arms. This delighted the Despot even more - it meant another thousand soldiers coming to attack the Great King Gopala II.

Spoiler: Call To Arms!
    Show

In February a Greek Freeloader appeared in the Royal Court. Another peasant leader named Laurentios - he even seemed pleasant when presented to the Despot. The Despot was too focused on the war to care one way or the other about this man - so he wasn't married on the spot.

Spoiler: Laurentios
    Show

And the war was wonderful to watch. The first clash had started with over five hundred soldiers of the Raja attacking two hundred soldiers of the Pala. Reinforcements were on the way from both sides but it was easy to see that the Raja's mercenaries would arrive first.

Spoiler: The First Battle Of The War!
    Show

While waiting for the results of this first battle the Despot was told that the Trade Post in Pundravardhana was complete. He was pleased that his daughter, the future Queen, seemed to understand the importance of trade.

Spoiler: The Duchess Has A Trade Post
    Show

By March the Raja had cycled out the tired soldiers with the fresh ten thousand reinforcements. The Pala reinforcements had also arrived just in time to join a losing battle.

Spoiler: The Reinforcements Have Arrived!
    Show

When the battle ended the Great King Gopala II still had over three thousand troops in total. BUT over six hundred of those were hired swords and about one thousand four hundred of those levies were from his Vassals. Even if he won the war he would have the same number of men as his nobles. Not really a comfortable position to be in for a Ruler whose people had a habit of rebelling.

Spoiler: The Great King Gopala II's Military Forces
    Show

Another battle had started near the end of March as the victorious Raja's mercenary army raced ahead to attack another, much smaller, Pala army.

By April it was clear that the Raja and his ally were winning.

Spoiler: The Raja Is Winning
    Show

"Gentlemen," stated the Despot as he smiled at the Councilors, "I believe it is time to attack the Great King. The time for waiting is over. Time to march."

"Call my Commanders," he continued, "open the warehouses and prepare to hand out the weapons. Buy up as much food as we can and scout out the best roads to take. We go to war."

So we end this chapter with the Despot looking over mercenary contracts trying to find one with a ton of archers.

Spoiler
    Show