New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: XBox or PS4?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default XBox or PS4?

So, I am the Teen Librarian at a semi-local library (I live like 40 miles away; it's insane). We've currently got a WiiU and an XBox 360, but at some point in the future, we're going to need/want to replace them, and so I want some opinions on XBox v. PS4.

Currently, we use the XBox for Guitar Hero, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, and DVDs. We use the WiiU for SuperSmashBros WiiU. We've got a few other games for both systems, but nothing popular and so infrequently that they don't really count. We don't go on-line with these things; no on-line gaming, no streaming, precious few DLC downloads. The games we like have local multiplayer, preferably with more than 2 people as an option.

My inclination is to, when the time comes, replace the XBox with the PS4, because of built-in BluRay capability... gives us more options when we run a movie. Also, a previous library had Playstation All-Stars, which is similar to SSB in gameplay, to my eye (I jovially hate both of them). But, I'm also not a console person, and want some input on what you think would be good for a system that favors local multiplayer and has DVD and preferably Blu-Ray support.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: XBox or PS4?

I think I agree that the Blu-Ray player is enough of a reason. There's a not-unreasonable chance of either system collecting dust at the end of the day game-wise, but movies work with groups of people far better and the PS4 is solid no-fuss hardware all-around.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can't really comment on which is better, having been an Xbox gamer pretty much my entire life, but the XB1 has a Blu-Ray player too. Aside from that, I can't really help you... I don't play that much multiplayer. Halo's great, though.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, both systems have Blu-Ray now. It was the 360 vs PS3 where the Playstation had Blu-Ray but X-Box didn't.

Otherwise... eh, honestly not sure what to recommend. For multiplayer I'm a fighting game guy, but those are almost always only 2 players, and most are multi-platform anyway. PS4 does have a couple of exclusives among those, but the big name of them, Street Fighter 5, has little to recommend it if you're not playing online.

(Playstation All-Stars was a Sony attempt at their own version of Smash, but it didn't do so well, so there's no PS4 sequel or the like at this point. Also, to be clear, no backwards compatibility, on either system.)
    Last edited by Zevox; 2017-07-14 at 08:05 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're buying it for games the only person that can answer that is you, by looking at the platform-exclusive titles. So many titles are cross-platform these days that the list of platform-exclusive games is pretty short.

If games aren't your concern then probably PS4, DVD wise the PS4 is better and has a better system for things like Netflix and Hulu.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-07-14 at 07:50 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Yeah, both systems have Blu-Ray now. It was the 360 vs PS3 where the Playstation had Blu-Ray but X-Box didn't.
    Also, to be clear, no backwards compatibility, on either system.)
    Not true. Neither system has blanket backwards compatibility, but a very large (and increasing) number of Xbox 360 and (more recently, and less extensively) Xbox Original games can be played on the Xbone, so long as the system software is up to date. As the OP mentioned "few" DLC downloads rather than "none", the necessary system updates should be an option.

7. - Top - End - #7

I would get a PS4 just because of all the exclusives, games like horizon zero dawn, god of war, final fantasy, sea of thieves (which has not came out yet but look super cool), the list goes on. I think that the big think you need to think of the exclusives and I think Sony is winning in that department
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Not true. Neither system has blanket backwards compatibility, but a very large (and increasing) number of Xbox 360 and (more recently, and less extensively) Xbox Original games can be played on the Xbone, so long as the system software is up to date. As the OP mentioned "few" DLC downloads rather than "none", the necessary system updates should be an option.
    Oh? Sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I knew it didn't have any at launch, but I haven't really paid much attention to what they've done with it since then, so I hadn't heard that.

No such thing for the PS4 though, so you're not getting PS All-Stars out of that, which was the main reason I brought it up.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

My wife and I enjoy our Kinect. If you have the room for dancing I would think about getting a Xbone. It can be a good group activity.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Hmm...

The Ps4 has a much better set of exclusives. I mean, Microsoft has seriously dropped the ball here. The only exclusives of note they have are franchises they own (Gears of War and Halo), and most of those have stagnated as the series progressed. However, I'm not sure how many of those exclusives are suitable for multiplayer, which is the primary role of a library console.

Xbox One's backwards compatibility library is pretty substantial at this point, and unless something uses a unique controller (Which Microsoft has said they can't/won't make work with the Xbox one) or got an Xbox One rerelease, I would expect your xbox 360 games to be backwards compatible.

Media-wise, I believe the Xbox One S has a slight edge over the PS4 Pro if you have Ultra HD blu-ray discs. If you're still using DVDs since more borrowers can play them, though, it's a wash (Or even just the relatively new 4k blu-ray). On the other hand, if you buy one of the original PS4s or Xbox Ones used, the're shouldn't be a difference.

While actually finding one in a store can be difficult*, the Switch might be your best bet for multiplayer and party stuff, though. It is definately not a media player, though.

*I work retail in the morning. "Did you get any switches?" is probably the most common question our electronics department gets on the mornings trucks arrive. The days we do get them in, they're usually gone by the afternoon, and I'm led to believe this is a relatively universal phenomenon.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the PS4 has WAY better exclusives. Other than that the systems are equivalent since besides exclusives the game selection will be identical, and hardware is basically identical as well.

The Xbone MIGHT be better for multiplayer in terms of wider selection but the only Xbone exclusive multiplayer games I can think of are Halo games and IMO you're better off just keeping your 360 and playing the last actually GOOD Halo game (Reach) in that case.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-07-15 at 03:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Do you really want to play Forza Motorsport and/or Horizon?

If the answer to either of those is no, then get a PS4.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

I would just check with friends to see what they have and then get that. That way you can play online if you ever want to.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Wagadodo View Post
    My wife and I enjoy our Kinect. If you have the room for dancing I would think about getting a Xbone. It can be a good group activity.
    My kids pretty openly hate the kinect, so that's not a good option. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I would just check with friends to see what they have and then get that. That way you can play online if you ever want to.
    This is for a library. Playing online will never be an option, without the city revamping its policies, and somehow being ok with "Online content is not rated."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

High five for a fellow teen librarian!

My question is, have you asked your Teen Advisory Board (if you have one)? I'm assuming you have or are planning to, and are looking for supplemental opinions.

When it comes to in-house play, most of the time the games are more important than the consoles anyway unless there's a significant difference in cost. If they're just going to be playing Madden or the latest NBA 2K game, they can do that on either one.

All of that said, I think the PS4 is a better buy since it's got better exclusives, your teens apparently don't want Kinect, and there isn't a significant difference in cost.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, the PS4 is cheaper, doesn't require an internet connection 24/7, and actually has exclusives, unlike the Xbone where every title is eventually released on PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    Well, the PS4 is cheaper, doesn't require an internet connection 24/7, and actually has exclusives, unlike the Xbone where every title is eventually released on PC.
    The X-Box One has never actually required an internet connection. They canned that plan shortly after announcing it due to the immense blowback they got.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    My question is, have you asked your Teen Advisory Board (if you have one)? I'm assuming you have or are planning to, and are looking for supplemental opinions.
    Yep. I get about a 50/50 split, depending on who shows up that day. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    This is for a library. Playing online will never be an option, without the city revamping its policies, and somehow being ok with "Online content is not rated."
    You would think that I'd know how to read given that we're on a site where that's all you do, but apparently I haven't grasped the skill.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

My answer would be: none of the above, a Wii-U is much better for a library environment.

There's tons of rated Y multiplayer games for the Wii-U, including Mario Party, MarioKart... whatever the number is these days, and others.

Most of the games people have mentioned are not really suitable for a library, or are single player games. I'd suggest the Wii-U for a library friendly gaming platform with a broad selection of kid-friendly multiplayer titles.

Then ask if someone is willing to donate a DVD/Blu-Ray player for movie time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    My answer would be: none of the above, a Wii-U is much better for a library environment.
    They already have one, as stated in the OP.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    You would think that I'd know how to read given that we're on a site where that's all you do, but apparently I haven't grasped the skill.
    I am constantly amazed by the stuff I fail to read until after I post it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    More or less the standard game for play these days is Smash Bros WiiU. We apparently had Mario Kart at one time, but it disappeared before I got here. I'd kill for an actual budget to work with, TBH.
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    More or less the standard game for play these days is Smash Bros WiiU. We apparently had Mario Kart at one time, but it disappeared before I got here. I'd kill for an actual budget to work with, TBH.
    I was gonna say, if you buy a Wii-U then really you only need Super Smash Bros. because 99% of the time that's the only game that will get played.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

PS4 or Xbox One is pretty much the same thing. The PS4 has a nicer, cleaner UI as far as I I'm concerned but other than that the only major difference is the (few) exclusive titles, and their peripherals. The Playstation has the PS VR system, which might be cool if you've got lots of money to spend on stuff, but is probably also something that'll get broken or stolen. The Kinect system for the Xbox is more or less unsupported now as far as I understand, but there's a couple of fun games for it and several of the old 360 games will also run on it.

25. - Top - End - #25

I was a sony gal for a loooooooooong time but i wanted mods for skyrim and fallout 4 so i got an xbox i can play left 4 dead now gears of war titles i actually wished i could have played.but just make sure to have batteries if you get the one it eats double a a batteries like a starving man at a buffet.
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    I would get a PS4 just because of all the exclusives, games like ... sea of thieves (which has not came out yet but look super cool)
    Isnt sea of thieves xbox/pc only? One of the few things that makes me sad I dont have xbox

Well, personally I was always an xbox player, but when it came to ps4/xbox one I chose ps4. It was a bit cheaper and had more games I was interested in. The always online thing for xbox put me off, though they didnt go through with it I guess. The only game that would have made me want to get xbox again was scalebound, but, well....yeah.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)