New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Recovering saves from broken Xbox 360

My ancient Xbox 360 broke down (one of the original models without a HDMI port) and I am now getting a replacement (360 E). If possible, I would like to recover my save files from the old hard drive. Which I think should be possible to do, but Xbox seems to require specialized hardware for pretty much everything.
    How would I know if I can recover the saves and transfer them to the new console and if it's possible, how would it be done?

Nothing terribly important on that old hard drive, but I'd prefer not to replay the first 15 hours of KotOR. I was just about to get to the point where I can cruise the galaxy and the good stuff begins.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Recovering saves from broken Xbox 360

You should be able to pop off the hard drive and install it on the new one, and if you can't, they sell a transfer thingie that'll transfer your saves. One of these, though you coul probably find a better price.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, if the hard drive's not broken, I *think* you should be able to just stick it in the new one. The transfer cables can cause problems, though. I'm not sure if it was that or buying a third-party hard drive, but my 360 won't do backwards compatibility anymore because there are some partitions missing or something. So... be careful. Especially if you want to play KotOR.
    Last edited by rooster707; 2017-07-16 at 08:51 AM.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I decided to bite the bullet and just started a new game. By the time I get this working I'll be already back where I were.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

i had pretty much the same issue - checking out his thread gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/26367/how-to-recover-game-data-from-a-bricked-xbox-360 help me a lot