1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default A Reluctant Folk Hero & the Cardinal's Right Hand: Solo or Duo Adventure Pitch [3.5]

Greetings!
    I'm looking for a chance to play out one of two character ideas, provided I can find someone interested in them. Here are the pitches for the characters, and the temporary sixteen follow suit (temporary because they are ultimately up to the DM; details are negotiable).

I am looking for a solo campaign, because large groups are less likely to live long and because I'd like the focus to remain on the character. However, if someone is interested and has a character idea that fits the theme, I'm not against turning that solo into a duo.

However, I ask that said character can establish a working relationship with mine, and adds to the narrative. Due to some previous experiences, I really dislike the idea of in-party betrayals, so... let's work together, shall we?

Thanks for reading!

Spoiler: Orcish Folk Hero In The Making
    Show

Maegu, Lion of Steel

I'd like to play as an orc in a setting (or region) where they are the main "uncivilized race".
    Pushed back as the more refined and advanced races settle the wilderness, occasionally stirring up trouble but constantly being defeated and scattered, portrayed as malevolent, warmongering brutes... you get the idea.

Maegu's village was purged by paladins (or imperial guards, or what have you, depending on the setting) in his early years, and he was brought away with the rest of the children to be "re-educated according to the teaching of the good god(s)".
    Growing up in the monastery, he determined the whole thing was an hypocritical joke, with people claiming to praise virtues while indulging in vices. Not that everyone he met among the civilized races was scum, they simply were not any less scum-y than the orcs he lived with previously. He was disgusted by the constant double standard so common in the civilized's propaganda (orc kills human in a war, he is a bloodthirsty monster; human kills an orc in a war, he is a selfless hero).

He was taught how to fight, so that he may become a guard or a mercenary (for really, what else could an orc ever be good at in this modern society of ours?) and as the story goes, he found out to be extremely good at it. The priests tried to persuade him that his talent were a reward for his faith, and that striving to further embrace the gods' virtues would be the path to greatness, overcoming his savage origins.
    That didn't really take.
    When he got old enough to have enough freedom (around his fifteenth year) he run away from the monastery. With nothing to return to, he ventured the land and lived by his sword, adventuring. A few times he actually did the kind of things the church tales were so fond of, but mostly, his adventures were more mercenary than heroic.

Word of mouth being what it is and orcish folklore being slightly starved for adventurers, Maegu in time gained a certain renown among the orcs, especially since he set out to retrieve a few items of power that hold meaning in his people's history. As his skill grew, so did his fame; by now, Maegu is something of a Folk Hero to the orcs, his deeds being retold around campfires side by side with those of the great chieftains of the past and present.

While not evil-for-evil's-sake, Maegu is not a paragon of mercy or selflessness. He believes in the rule of might: life is a struggle, the strong sprouts while the weak withers; all else, is pretense.
    He feels one should strive to improve oneself and test himself constantly, especially on the field of battle. While not a paladin, he doesn't enjoy dirty tactics and feels that some conflicts have to be resolved with a direct confrontation, without cheap tricks.
    With that said, he might occasionally set out to selflessly pull a stranger out of a situation someone he feels was put in an impossible situation and prevented from ever being able to grow. However, after that, either said person learns to fly on his own, or he'll fall: either way, Maegu won't lose sleep.

I'd like the adventure to drive him toward caring more about his people's hardships, being involved in their lives, finding a reason to care about something larger than himself.
    In time, perhaps even leading an uprising against a kingdom or organized religion.

A partner would likely be an outcast of some sort (though not necessarily a member of a barbaric race; I can see it work fine even with a follower of an evil god, or one possessing a source of arcane powers condemned by the law). I'd like them to share a strong partnership, and feel like they are often two against the world.
    If you like the idea, a romantic involvement might work too, whether established or just beginning.

Spoiler: Richelieu's Right Hand Man
    Show

This one is a little less fleshed out, because it really depends much on the setting... and therefore, on how the DM prefers to swing.

The idea, per se, is very simple: I'd like to play as the right-hand man of a scheming religious figure immersed in a multi-factions struggle for influence and power in a metropolis.
    Think the Cardinal of Richelieu.

The play would focus mostly on social intrigue, though I imagine my character carrying out the bishop's dirty work, down to and including removing troublesome individuals and burning down their establishment.
    The “right-hand man” is not a must: I can deal with the Bishop having a few advisers and helpers closer than my character: room to grow always makes for a better story.

The details of the setting I'd prefer to leave to the one running the game: power struggles are complicated enough when you are familiar with the factions, so pick whatever you have an easier time managing. I'd suggest the following though:
    - the Bishop is the highest religious figure of his creed, which is either the main creed in the city or one of a few main religions in the region. This opens up the possibility to stomp down emerging faiths without making it the only playing field.
    - It would be cool if the main temporal power (king, emperor, congress, what have you) was a force to reckon with, but still much weaker than all the remaining powers combined.
    - Other interesting power player could include: scheming nobles, merchant cartels, underworld lords, mercenary guilds, schools of wizardry, racial minorities...

I'd prefer the bishop to be a scheming, lying, Machiavellian figure, but not an hipocrite. Therefore, his or her god or goddess is likely a shrewd one, perhaps a deity of order, intrigue, control, secrets... that sort of things?

If there is another player, we'd likely both work for the bishop, and compete for his favor. In this kind of play, a bit of rivalry is welcome, though I'd prefer it not become the main focus of things.

Spoiler: Temporary 16
    Show
    What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    - 3.5 D&D
    How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    - 1 DM, +1 player so long as they are interested in the same kind of game
    What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    - OOTC PbP
    What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    - Up to the GM. I'd like something ranging between 9th and 13th.
    What I'd like is for the character(s) to be stronger than almost any ONE they meet.
    Obviously, there will be some more dangerous than him/them, but I feel a solo or duo game is supposed to make you feel like you are a bear surrounded by wolves. It's not that you are not threatened, but you know that is because the number/odds are against you, not because you are weaker than a wolf.

How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    - Up to the GM. In Maegu's case, I'd like to have enough wealth to invest in a few powerful items to describe as old “relics”, but the WbL of 9th to 13th should be more than enough to do so.
    Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    - I'd like to play as warblade, whichever character is actually picked.
    If there is another player, perhaps it would be better if his main skill was not melee combat? In that way, we could each have our specialties and time to shine.

What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    - I'd like to play Maegu as an Orc. The second idea can be whatever race the setting requires.
    By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    - Up to the GM, but I'd like point-buy with a big budget; the reason is simple: I'm going to play a melee character, so I'll have to invest heavily in the physical attributes. I'd prefer to be able to grab one or two decent mental ones, so that I may occasionally be able to solve a problem without beating it into submission.
    Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    - Up to the GM. If we use them, then I'd guess Meagu is CN, while the second pitch is LN, TN, NE or LE
    Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    - Up to the GM
    Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    - Up to the GM
    Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    - Up to the GM
    Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    - I'll do my best to provide a background detailed enough to get a good sense of the character's past, ideals, goals and personality
    Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    - Up to the GM, obviously. With that said, for the first pitch I'm mainly looking at an hack&slash, with chances for an alternate way to solve problems at least some of the times, and a lot of roleplaying, particularly dealing with the consequences of the player(s) actions.
    For my second pitch, I'd still like to get our hands dirty often enough and to have a lot of roleplaying, but obviously social encounters and intrigue would have to play a major role too.

Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?*
    - Up to the GM. As mentioned, I'd like for the ToB to be available. Like, a lot. I never got to play with it in my RL group, and the campaign we started on the forum died before it got anywhere. So, yeah, I'd like to give it a real shot.
    Last edited by Shveiran; 2017-07-15 at 03:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: A Reluctant Folk Hero & the Cardinal's Right Hand: Solo or Duo Adventure Pitch [3

I'd be interested in playing the "sidekick". I can play most vlasses, but I've been wanting to play a monk for a while.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: A Reluctant Folk Hero & the Cardinal's Right Hand: Solo or Duo Adventure Pitch [3

Well, I certainly have nothing against monks.
    But which scenario are you interested in? How do you immagine your character fits in?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

A few updates:

§ I have been talking with INoKnowNames by PM, and we have elaborated the first pitch (aka "Orcish Folk Hero in the Making") to a story that, while still somewhat hungry for details, we both find interesting.
    I'm therefore afraid the 2nd player spot is, as of now, taken.
    My apologies to squadfather42, I hope we'll get a chance to play together in the future.

§ We are still very much looking for a DM.

§ Gestalt has been brought up in the talks, and if the aforementioned DM doesn't mind the idea, we both would like to give it a shot.

§ We are oriented toward exploring a romantic involvement between the two, and particularly how this growing attraction and their different ideals will clash with the gray moral choices the DM will throw our way.

§ I'll leave for him to describe his character as we progress

§ I'll post a link to a WIP sheet here. I'll leave aside the game mechanics until a GM actually volunteer, but Mythweaver is still a good place to write down a background to easily reference it to those interested.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In response to Shveiran's PM, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at DMing a duo based campaign of the couple/partnership vs the world, but I have a few .....for lack of a better description, conditions & clarifications, regarding content and "impressiveness".

I can happy go into and explore moral/ethical, religious, racial and gender based dilemmas, the depth of I'm happy to say I will do as lightly or deeply as possible, within constraints of forum expectations and with the understanding that all parties understand & agree to keep things mature and that any demeaning or derogatory comments/actions while playing are for the benefit of the game and DO NOT represent my actual beliefs or world views.

(For the above, sorry for the "disclaimer" but I had a bad experience once where people canceled a campaign then "flagged me" to the admins, it got cleared up, but if you have a problem with how I'm doing something in game, please draw my attention to it (I can be thick at times) and request that I cease.)

I like gestalt games as they allow more freedom for a DM to not build an adventure that has a lot of conveniently large number of unlocked door, because no one played a rogue or similar type etc.

To clarify this would be d&d 3.5?

Please let me know and we will discuss details. (Please note, while interested as DM, I have not committed)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Clarifying details before committing sounds like a perfectly reasonable request. No complaints here.

Regarding the "disclaimer", I will reassure you that it is understood we'll be writing a story and not, say, a political pamphlet. I should hope that anyone understands characters' and NPCs' actions don't reflect the players' beliefs... otherwise, we ought to be much more worried about the so-very-common murdery tendencies of adventurers.

Regardless, though I can't speak for INoKnowNames, I'd like the issues at hand to be treated with a certain level of depth. I built this character under the assumption that orcs are oppressed to the point that their traditional behavior (aka war culture and pillaging hordes) is pretty much an understandable response and possibly the only possible one for them. I expect racism and/or fundamentalism to be powerful forces acting in the background even when they are not called upon by the scene.
    Whether this focuses more on the conflict between civilized-races/orcs or on the followers-of-the-good-gods/heathens one depends on the GM and fellow player's preferences. I wouldn't mind a bit of both, personally.
    Regarding how heavy it should get, I'd say I'm definitely looking forward to at least a few dramatic scenes, and I'll reassure you I don't scare easily, especially if I know it's coming going in.
    However, we should probably strike a balance that allows for some different elements to occasionally rise to the spotlight. An heavy scene is more effective and powerful when it is not the norm of what we write, at least in my opinion.

I'd also like to feel like our efforts, when we deserve it, are accomplishing something. If every commoners we save is slaughtered a week after, my enjoyment would take a heavy hit.
    (Stress on "every" here: occasional failures and set-backs are encouraged. They make for a better story, especially if they tie in to a dramatic consequence. As always, balance is key)
    This too is most likely granted, but as you said, bad past experiences. Better to be redundant than unclear.

If gestalt is on the table, I think we'd gladly take it.

And yes, indeed, we were thinking of a D&D 3.5 game.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Pardon me for keeping everyone waiting on responses.

I assumed we would be going into moral, ethical, religious, and racial dilemmas about as in-depth as has been done in the Oots, give a bit. Quite a bit of our Op's character centers around just as much of the struggle he faces in those areas as he faces at the other end of his sword, being considered an outcast by much of the world that sees the slaughter of his kind as just with no justification other than that they "look" monstrous. And I must admit I was looking forward to facing such challenges myself, even if from a much more idealistic perspective of someone who cherishes life enough not to slaughter another sentient being just because they have differently colored skin, nor to kneel down at a man-made throne rather than to the alter of the God or Goddess the one on the throne claims to be serving. I hadn't factored on gender, but I'm not opposed to that either, and am mildly curious of what sort of example might be provided in that regard.

The main necessity is that everyone present be mature about all things to be considered and to agree upon trying to be comfortable with each other out of character, and I swear to do my part in this regard. I 100% understand that any happens in character need not reflect our actual worldly views, nor will anyone present be judged harshly for them.

Indeed, Gestalt would hopefully allow us freedom to make more interesting characters and enable you more interesting encounters, particularly in light of the number of players being just the two of us. Though, I'm not 100% sure you'll be getting a Trap-Finder between the two of us.

And indeed, the intention was going to be for 3.5e, though there -might- be a small bit from either Dragonlance or a 3.0 book I -might- want for my character. I must admit, I'm a bit of an optimizer. Not to the point of being game ruining, but I definitely like to push for my characters to be at least very good at what they do. I try to iron out 100% of the details regarding them ahead of time, though. No surprises in that regard; better to fit in with my players, the Dm, and the world, than to enjoy a strategy once and upset everyone else.

For the most part, my views can be echoed by Shveiran's, looking at his response.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quite.

As a side note, if we are going gestalt, I'd like to add "Martial Lore" to the list of things we should briefly discuss.
    As in, gestalt for me likely means adding a lot of swordsage to the mix, and therefore more maneuvers, which I'd like to treat as something other than fancy tricks with a blade.
    Much like I'd inquire on the nature of souls and afterlife in the setting if I played a necromancer, I'd like to understands (if the GM has his/her own idea on the matter) or agree (if they'd rather us find an answer together) on the fluff behind maneuvers. What powers them? How do you summon them? Where they come from? That kind of things.
    The bit I know I'd like is for the othodoxy of religion to track their origin back to the good gods, and for the real answer to be a bit less pious, but aside from that, I'm quite open.
    If the DM doesn't see this as a potentially useful plot tool, of course, I can develop something on my own. But given that it ties in with the world's laws of nature (teleports, deflagrations and whatnot) I'd prefer it being a shared decision.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

Hey folks,

I've got several major things happening in my personal life both now and for about the next month, and I don't like doing things poorly/halfway, so I'm going to withdraw from being a DM for this, as I'm already guiding 2 other campaigns, and don't want them or yours to suffer from me not posting or posting crap. I apologize for getting your hopes up, I might reconsider later, but for now will be declining.

Take care and good luck.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh. Well, that's unfortunate. I do appreciate your straightforwardness, though.
    Better luck next time, I guess. Have a good day!

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateWench

If you are still looking for a DM, I would be interested in DMing the second of your choices. I know it seems you've put a lot of thought into your idea for the first one, but politics and intrigue (with obligatory morally grey choices) is more my shtick. Happy to discuss details if you are still interested in the second game.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, I can hardly say no!
    At the end of the day, if at all possible, it's not like I'd mind having a chance to play out both ideas.

Do you already have a setting in mind, or shall we discuss it from scratch?

Oh, and would you mind continuing our discussion by PM, or to a different thread?
    In that way, me and INoKnowNames can keep this one to continue our quest for a GM for the "orc and caster" adventure.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, something like:

Big 16

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 3.5 and or Pathfinder
    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    game set in the Froggoten Realms in, most like far in the past
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    one per game
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Pbp on the gitp forum
    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    TBA depending on the game and player
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard x3
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Some restrictions on class, although certain professions are more prevalent than others. No homebrew.. Prestige classes only if it is justified in game (although if you tell me beforehand about a PrC you want and it is reasonable I'll probably let you have that at some point.) No psionics.
    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Most rares are common in most areas. Strange monster races will often get a reaction from others. So ask first.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Use any method in the rules. 3.5E point buy 25. Pathfinder:20-point buy. You are allowed two traits.
    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Standard
    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Standard
    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Die rolls using gitp roller. Players will make their own rolls, I will make some rolls in private.
    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    No variant rules from Unearthed Arcana, and see below
    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Background is nice, but npt required. A short background would be nice, but a novel is not needed.
    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Not sure. Hopefully all 3
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Anything from the SRD is ok. All other things, ask first. The answer will probably be yes, but I feel this is the best way for me to prevent some things from happening. No Magic of Incarnum, no Tome of Battle, no 3rd party and no homebrew.

I have a couple houserules, mostly to fix the holes in 3.5E The rules are written for pure adventure and give no thought to a living, breathing world.
    Spoiler: Houserules
    Show

Classes:
    *All divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, favored souls, paladins, and 4th-level rangers) are considered proficiency with their deity's favored weapon. If the character would not normally be proficient with their deity's favored weapon, s/he receives the appropriate Martial/Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for that weapon as a bonus feat. If the deity's favored weapon is "unarmed strike," the character receives Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. Temples train their followers in the use of their deity's favored weapon.
    Skills
    *Rich's Diplomacy fix is in place.
    Crafting Fix.
    Spellcraft does not identify spells. With thousands of spells in a world, it is utterly ridiculous that character ''learns and remembers'' them all. Even more so that every single spellcaster makes at least one unique spell a year....and many make many more. So spellcraft is more for identifying a spells parts and what it can do, possibly.
    Feats:
    Increased Feat Progression:Each player gets the ‘Pathfinder’ feat progression: that means instead of every third level after 1st, each character gets a feat at every odd level (so 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc). So you all have 4 feats to play with (before flaws) instead of just 3.
    Magic:
    *Creation magic:By default, magic that summons or creates objects have as an additional material component a piece of material that was once part of a creature or object of the type to be summoned. Pieces of certain exotic monsters will have a high market value. (So Eschew Materials will be ineffective). Only some divine magic can ignore this.
    Conjuration-As a general rule, all conjuration creation spells can only create things of slightly less then average quality. In short, while magicaly created things can be used well enough, they are nothing compared to the real thing.
    Only divine magic can create things of average quality or more.
    Any item or material made with creation magic is slightly off from the real thing. The item will often be a bit lighter in weight, and not quite have the right shine or reflection. A easy Spellcraft check of ten can tell that something was created by magic. An easy Appraise check of ten can tell the same.
    Anything formed by creation magic must remain intact to continue to exist. Any part removed from the whole will fade away in roughly one round per spell level. Anything formed by creation magic that has more then fifty percent of it removed from the whole will cause everything to vanish.
    *Polymorph magic:By default, magic that changes a creatures shape have as an additional material component a piece of material that was once part of a creature. Pieces of certain exotic monsters will have a high market value. (So Eschew Materials will be ineffective)

*Negative energy harms the living and heals the undead, while positive energy heals the living and harms undead. Note that pure energy is also dangerous to use as too much energy (negative for undead, positive for the living) is also harmful.

*All spells with the (Healing) descriptor, including Heal, all Cure spells, Raise Dead, etc, are now back in the Necromancy School, as they were in earlier editions.

*No form of metamagic reduction may reduce the spell's level below its original, or in the case of a heightened spell, below its heightened level. This rule has no effect on metamagic feats that, in and of themselves, reduce a spell's level (such as Sanctum Spell).

*Teleportation:Teleportation spells of 4th level or lower (which includes dimension door) can’t transport you further than you can see. The range of these abilities is reduced to line of sight. You can’t use them to transport onto the other side of a closed door, or if you’re blinded, or if it’s too dark to see. You can use them to transport through a window (as you can see what’s on the other side)
    Teleport Destination: The caster must have a clear mental picture of the teleport destination. For the best results the caster must physically be in the target location for a full hour and make careful notes of the sight, sound, smell and feel of the area. The caster must pick a mostly static location, one that does not change with the passage of time. A destination only remains valid if less then 50% of area remains the same to match the mental picture in the casters mind. Small changes, such as a tree blowing in the wind have no effect, however cutting down the tree makes the destination invalid for a caster that has the tree as part of their mental destination picture.
    If the caster does not have a full hour of study on a location, the chance of the teleportation success is only 20%, plus one percent per caster level.
    *Summoning:The strain of binding and controlling a summoned creature imposes a cumulative -1 penalty to caster level for each creature currently summoned.

Magic Items:
    *Scrolls-Using a scroll is a Full Round Action, that provokes AoO and can not be done Casting Defensively.

But all open to discussion.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, first off, thanks for your interest!

I do, however, have a few items I'd like to discuss.
    Especially because a few are a bit of a deal-braker for me.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    one per game
    I'm assuming you mean one plus me? By this point, this is pretty much a joined project with INoKnowNames, so we are looking to play as a party of two.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Most rares are common in most areas. Strange monster races will often get a reaction from others. So ask first.
    As we mentioned, we are looking for a racism heavy world, and one where the orcish race is the paragon of the "uncivilized races". This feels a bit in conflict with the "most rares are common in most areas", because I feel if a djinn, a vampire, an air elemental and a succubus are drinking at every pub there really is no room for a consistent prejudice against orcs that may stay on as a subtext during the play. Indeed, being one of the very foci.
    Likewise, if there are multiple evil gods or cults composed mostly of uncivilized races, religious prejudice wouldn't really be against orcs but against all non-human, which is not quite the same; especially if said others reside on multiple planes of existence and consider themselves 437 different factions.
    This doesn't mean we need to have just elves, dwarves, human and orcs. But certainly not the vagonload of races that make up the usual D&D canon.
    Now, I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with FR, let alone its past eras, so this might be compatible without me realizying it. However, I must stress how racial profiling and conflict are one of the cornerstone of the character idea, so I'm afraid this is a must have.

Use any method in the rules. 3.5E point buy 25
    I'd really like a bigger budget. This is not a deal-breaker, but it's a real pain.
    I'm not trying to min-max here, I'm trying to be able to afford some stats that do little for me in combat but allow me to do something when we are not rolling initiative. Namely, a highish intelligence score for a melee character with a racial penalty.
    If you'd rather stick to the 25, would you consider maybe raising the number of skill points we get at each level? I'd be willing to trade in the enhanced feat progression to get that.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Not sure. Hopefully all 3
    This isn't a deal-breaker either, though I am really NOT looking forward to puzzles. Puzzles are not things I enjoy, and mostly are enigmas with no social consequence upon solution, and so far I never once solved one and felt invested in the result.
    I'm mostly pointing this out because it ties in with the fact that, as a rule of thumb, I don't see this game regarding many dungeons. Dungeons are away from people, and people is what we want to interact with.
    Spoiler: Paste
    Show
    Setting wise, we are looking for a world where orcs are the main barbarian culture, and looked at by the civilized races as brutal, blood-thirsty monsters which is perfectly fine (indeed, maybe even necessary) to periodically slaughter. We are looking for an atmosphere of severe racism (well, specism, really) and probably religious fundamentalism as well.

One of the characters is Meagu, an orc warblade which grew up in a temple after the destruction of his warcamp in his early years. Venturing the world, he has developed a cynical view and a firm belief in strength as the only rule in life: might makes right, no matter what kind of "might" one possess. Physical, magical, political, economical.
    With a firm rejection of the civilized world, but no living tie to the orcish culture he feels drawn to, he wanders from quest to quest, seeking out orcish regalia of the past while he searches, unknowingly, to find out who he really is.
    Ubenknownst to him, his deeds craft him something of a legend among the orcish people. As the game progresses, I'd like for that legend to drop unespected responsabilities in Meagu's lap, pushing him to take charge and do his part to shape the future of the orcs in the region. Quite possibly bringing down a religious organization or a temporal power, but also finding a way to solev the desperate lack of organization and resources of the orcish people.

The second character is Scherise, a divine spellcaster and possibly a psion; an idealist that tries to observe the intent of the divine tenents, and not its letter, as does the church of this setting.
    Scherise's firm valors end up putting her in a bad spot despite her remarkable skills, which is where the two characters enter each other's life. Maegu sides with her, saving her life, and the two begin to travel together.
    Their differences are many, but the respect they are willing to give means they enrich the other rather than cause attrition... at least most of the times. Scherise begins to change Maegu's black and white worldview and teach him the merits of compromises; he shows her the limits of her idealistic views, and grounds her valor to a few harsh realities.

Something deeper than companionship is starting to grow between the two, though we definitely want to see whether the story pulls them together or pushes them away.
    We are looking for a game that focuses on combat, political and social repercussions, moral choices and consequences, and leaves a bit of room for drama and romance.

no Tome of Battle
    This is a deal-breaker for me.
    Leaving aside that I built the character backstory figuring he'd be an initiator, this is about having fun. I really want to play a melee warrior, but aside from Tome of Battle, that is a dull, DULL routine.
    There are a lot of ways to build an effective melee warrior without ToB, but once you do, it is always the same tactics, round after round. Rinse, and repeat. DULL.
    ToB also provvides a few utility powers. Not nearly enough to compete with a spellcaster, but at least something to occasionally be effective or useful without killing something.
    No ToB to me translates in making a character I'd not have fun playing in combat, and that would be unable to do anything outside of it. Needless to say, not something I'm overly excited about.
    Last edited by Shveiran; Yesterday at 02:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Oh geez. I hadn't even noticed "No Tome of Battle". That does kinda change up things that makes my Pm somewhat invalid. As does No 3rd Party, and potentially no Incarnum, depending on which class I use to supplement Scherise's casting. And technically, No Unearthed Arcana variants also kills Cloistered Cleric and Gestalt... and I kinda glossed over the "only one player" tag... I had options aside from "No Psionics", and as a Caster can survive with a lower Point Buy, but...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shveiran View Post
    This is a deal-breaker for me.
    It's a deal breaker for me too.

But the good news is bumping the thread has gotten others to notice it again, so good luck finding a DM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

A pity we couldn't figure it out, then. Thanks for your time, and best wishes to you too