New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Need an idea for rainbow servant build.

I need to build a secondary caster. Party already has optimized wizard as primary caster, he has access to all essential spells and could prepare to any challenge. He optimizes meta-magic using, and takes other spell-related feats.

I'd like to build a spontaneous caster that has supply of spell slots that he could expend to solve smoothly any unexpended situation to which party would be insufficiently prepared otherwise. No need to be maximum efficient with spells and spell damage. No need to take frontliner job. Just have a wast array of options. Probably take a reserve feat to spent actions, when his help are excessive. I like summoning elemental option. Another good feat to choose is arcane disciple to extend spell access which is very poor for a warmage. He could not even cast the Shapechange, could you believe?

So, the main question is which classes should I select for the secondary caster? Warmage 1; Rainbow Servant 10 are must for the build. Unless Turn undead is required for a prestige class, in which case Warmage is replaced with Dread Necromancer (there is no Ex for him, so he could accidentally turn to greater good).

What to take next? I has two ideas: Contemplative 1; Dweomerkeeper 4; Sovereign Speaker 4. Or Contemplative 1; Dweomerkeeper 4; Archmage 4. The latter requires too much feats, but provides unparalleled spell options: convert any elemental damage which likely would be resisted to rarely resisted sonic, heal and revivify with range, shape your antimagic field to exclude allies. The first loses spell level, but gives 4 more domains to select spells and use powers.

Is there any other good direction for a Rainbow Servant build?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Need an idea for rainbow servant build.

Quote Originally Posted by ayvango View Post
    I need to build a secondary caster. Party already has optimized wizard as primary caster, he has access to all essential spells and could prepare to any challenge. He optimizes meta-magic using, and takes other spell-related feats.

I'd like to build a spontaneous caster that has supply of spell slots that he could expend to solve smoothly any unexpended situation to which party would be insufficiently prepared otherwise. No need to be maximum efficient with spells and spell damage. No need to take frontliner job. Just have a wast array of options. Probably take a reserve feat to spent actions, when his help are excessive. I like summoning elemental option. Another good feat to choose is arcane disciple to extend spell access which is very poor for a warmage. He could not even cast the Shapechange, could you believe?

So, the main question is which classes should I select for the secondary caster? Warmage 1; Rainbow Servant 10 are must for the build. Unless Turn undead is required for a prestige class, in which case Warmage is replaced with Dread Necromancer (there is no Ex for him, so he could accidentally turn to greater good).

What to take next? I has two ideas: Contemplative 1; Dweomerkeeper 4; Sovereign Speaker 4. Or Contemplative 1; Dweomerkeeper 4; Archmage 4. The latter requires too much feats, but provides unparalleled spell options: convert any elemental damage which likely would be resisted to rarely resisted sonic, heal and revivify with range, shape your antimagic field to exclude allies. The first loses spell level, but gives 4 more domains to select spells and use powers.

Is there any other good direction for a Rainbow Servant build?
    If you're happy with rainbow warsnake, there's little reason to deviate from it.

Personally, I prefer beguiler to enter rainbow servant since due to its UMD, you can fill in gaps in your repetoire that aren't on the cleric or beguiler list (or wizard list in this case)

Turn undead isn't required for rainbow servant, but if you wanted to enter something later that required it, a simple 1 lvl dip in sacred exorcist grants it and is the preferred method of access for an arcane caster. after that, enter something that advances arcane casting or one that doesn't specify, such as malconvoker. contemplative does not work, since beguiler/warmage/dread necro are arcane classes.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    contemplative does not work, since beguiler/warmage/dread necro are arcane classes.
    If them took full rainbow servant progression, they could cast divine spells as divine casters (depending on wisdom and so on). So they qualify for "could cast divine spells" prerequirement.

a simple 1 lvl dip in sacred exorcist
    Sometimes you have no spare levels to take dip. Like if you would like to progress bone knight.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ayvango View Post
    If them took full rainbow servant progression, they could cast divine spells as divine casters (depending on wisdom and so on). So they qualify for "could cast divine spells" prerequirement.

Sometimes you have no spare levels to take dip. Like if you would like to progress bone knight.
    while rainbow servant does specify that you cast any cleric spell that doesn't appear on your original list as a divine spell, you don't need a minimum wisdom score to do it like with arcane disciple.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I also recommend starting out with Beguiler, due to the increased utility of the spell list and skills.

What level are you starting out at, and what level do you reasonably expect to reach on this character?

Keep in mind that your base class is an arcane spellcasting class that happens to be able to cast some spells as divine spells, so prestige classes that grant "+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class" will not increase your spellcasting ability. Thus Contemplative and similar prestige classes will cost you a level of spellcasting.

For the remaining levels, dipping a level of Seeker of the Misty Isle is fantastic if you go Gray Elf or Fire Elf since it can advance an arcane spellcasting class. Ruathar is good for gaining additional class skills without losing spellcasting, such as Survival to qualify for Seeker of the Misty Isle. Contemplative 2 or 4 is good for just about any spellcaster, you can get its feat prerequisite for 3,000 gp via the Frog God's Fane in CS. Paragnostic Apostle can be a good choice, it's similar to Archmage with much easier prerequisites. Mage of the Arcane Order can add a lot more versatility.

I would probably go Gray Elf, Beguiler 1/ Rainbow Servant 10/ Ruathar 1/ Seeker of the Misty Isle 1/ Mage of the Arcane Order 7. Take Arcane Preparation to qualify for Mage of the Arcane Order and to be able to cast Sanctified spells.