New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    This just makes me wonder which characters on the list were shown in printed material first before they were shown in the comic proper?
    Not that many, I think. Several of the Greysky City characters were in OtOotPCs before being shown in the main comic, but most characters introduced in the exclusive content haven't appeared in the main comic (and many are dead). Aarindarius also cameos in V's backstory in OtOotPCs.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    This just makes me wonder which characters on the list were shown in printed material first before they were shown in the comic proper?
    For named characters, we have:

Aarindarius
    Bozzok
    Chuck
    Crystal
    Fidel Secundus
    Firuk Blackore
    Hank
    High Priest Hurak
    Horace Greenhilt
    Jenny
    Keeno
    Myrtok
    Sir Francois
    and The Dark One

I didn't include generic ones like Troll or Badger, but I think I got the uniquely identifiable ones.

Edit: Added Fidel Secundus, Hank, and High Priest Hurak
    Last edited by Yxylu; 2017-08-31 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Thanks to Gift Jeraff for spotting a few I missed

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Fidel Secundus, Hank, High Priest Hurak, the 2 dwarves that throw Durkon out
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

4. - Top - End - #94

Imp

Who are Keeno and Myrtok?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Who are Keeno and Myrtok?
    Eugene's adventuring buddies.

Panel 4
    Last edited by Yxylu; 2017-08-31 at 07:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1096
    Belkar, Blackwing, Elan, Firuk, Haley, Hurak, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Priest of Odin, Rogo, Roy, Tinna, Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1097
    Belkar, Blackwing, Elan, Firuk, Haley, Roy, Tinna, Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1098
    Belkar, Blackwing, Elan, Firuk, Haley, Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Tinna, Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1099
    Belkar, Blackwing, Elan, Firuk, Haley, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Rogo, Roy, Tinna, Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

D & V now have equal # of online strip appearances as well as total page appearances.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    D & V now have equal # of online strip appearances as well as total page appearances.
    I noticed that too. If V loses the popularity contest thread, at least they can take consolation in soon not being the member of the Order with the fewest appearances anymore. V has held that dishonor since the Godsmoot.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    they can take consolation in soon not being the member of the Order with the fewest appearances anymore. V has held that dishonor since the Godsmoot.
    I cannot see that a number of appearances is a cause of dishonour. Now if a character were to fail to attend when booked to appear that would be dishonour.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

#1100 looks like

Vaarsuvius, Blackwing, Roy, Belkar, Mr Scruffy, Minrah, Brother Sandstone (dead), Elan, Haley

also *takes deep breath*

Dwarf Defenders, Dwarf Defender with black skin (dead), Dwarf Defender with beard (dead, should be renamed to "...with black beard"), Dwarf Defender with hair bun (new, dead), Dwarf Defender with blond beard (new, dead), Female dwarf civilian outside temple (new, dead), Male dwarf civilian outside temple (new, dead)

Most of those have no names and are dead, so I'm not sure what the policy is, but the two corpses we've seen before are on the list, so I listed 'em. *shrug*
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2017-09-25 at 09:25 PM.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nameless characters with one appearance don't get counted.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Nameless characters with one appearance don't get counted.
    * Unless they appear in more than one page of a multi-page comic strip. (I'm looking at you "Azurite Soldier on the Wall".)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1100
    Belkar, Blackwing, Brother Sandstone, Dwarf Defenders, Dwarf Defender with Beard, Dwarf Defender with Black Skin, Elan, Haley, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Belkar, Blackwing, Brother Sandstone, Dwarf Defenders, Dwarf Defender with Beard, Dwarf Defender with Black Skin, Elan, Haley, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Vaarsuvius
    Now that we can see the broader picture of the carnage, do not the feet to the left of the DD with Black Skin visible in #1084, #1085, and #1087 belong to the dwarf with red hair? Should he get his own entry or is he the generic "Dwarf Defenders" entry? It seems that the others in #1100 have never been shown before, even partially, and the one with the white beard in #1087 doesn't appear there, so they're all one-offs.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    Now that we can see the broader picture of the carnage, do not the feet to the left of the DD with Black Skin visible in #1084, #1085, and #1087 belong to the dwarf with red hair? Should he get his own entry or is he the generic "Dwarf Defenders" entry? It seems that the others in #1100 have never been shown before, even partially, and the one with the white beard in #1087 doesn't appear there, so they're all one-offs.
    Boots are different and placement of corpses is inconsistent.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, this is a tough one with all those dwarves...

Looks like in panel 1 there's the feet of Brother Sandstone, along with the red bearded dwarf and the dwarf in the teal shirt from the previous strip. As they continue along the passage in panel 3, it looks like we see Teal Shirt's head again and the Defender with the grey bun next to the defender with the brown hair and beard, also from the previous strip. After that these all look like new dwarves to me, unless they've shown up in some random comic before.

Of course, we'll most likely see many of the vampires from the second page in 1102 so we'll probably need some more descriptive monikers for vampire dwarves

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1101
    Belkar (+1), Blackwing, Brother Sandstone, Dwarf Defenders (as Vampires), Dwarf Defender with Brown Beard, Dwarf Defender with Brown Bun, Dwarf Defender with Red Beard, Dwarf Defender with Green Shirt, Elan (+1), Haley (+1), Minrah, Mr. Scruffy (+1), Roy (+1), Vaarsuvius, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Bun (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard (+1)
    Last edited by martianmister; 2017-10-04 at 05:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...We're never going to have any generic identically designed nameless soldiers again, are we?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

...We're never going to have any generic identically designed nameless soldiers again, are we?
    It seems not. Gone are the days of identical hobgoblins, goblins, and Azure City soldiers.

So almost everyone in the top page of 1102 appears in panel 2 of the second page, with the only exception I see being the dwarf vampire in the foreground who we see from behind wearing a skullcap and having a goatee. So they'll all need descriptors, I suppose. It's tough with the semi-greyscale look of this subterranean setting. All the colors are muted.

As far as correspondence between 1101 and 1102, it looks like at least the 5 closest standing behind Belkar and Roy are in the final panel of 1102 are there, as well as the cleric with the long braid. I was a little unclear about who was who in the 1101 counting (as far as Blue Hair, Green Beard, Grey Beard and Bun), but it looks like Grey Beard, Green Beard and Bun are in 1102, and maybe Martianmister has a better idea about those ones.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

I like it actually.

1: there's more for us to count.

2: it will help us know better visually which/how many vamps are left.

3: the Hobgoblins and Azurites wore uniforms and and could be expected to conform to standards, while these spawn came from mostly unsuspecting civilians/ militia. It makes sense to me that they are more varied. Also, I cannot imagine dwarves put beard style requirements into their uniform guide.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

A suggestion:

For these large groups of individualised characters, lets give them all a group name that is followed by an individual description. The group name we then turn into an acronym, and list all such groups in a separate section of the initial post.

So, for example, these might be "the Vampirised Defenders of Thor's Temple". But in the big list, we have them be "VDTT in a dress" and "VDTT with square hat" etc. while what VDTT means is lsited just once, say below the lists.

The advantages to this idea, as I see it, are:
    • Groups them all together when they have the same appearances (which they tend to do, to a certain degree)
    • Saves characters
    • Allows for duplicate descriptions across groups (no more having to worry "have we had already a 'vampire dwarf with long blonde hair'?")

I've been thinking of this since the giant fight, and since Rich clearly intends to continue to produce more individualised mooks going forward, I think it is worth considering something like this approach.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #115

Imp

I think that's a good idea. The Sapphire Guard fight was probably the first instance where this would have come in handy.

Edit: Accidentally a word
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2017-10-16 at 02:20 PM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1102
    Belkar (+1), Blackwing (+1), Dwarf Defenders (as Vampires) (+1), Elan (+1), Haley (+1), Minrah (+1), Mr. Scruffy (+1), Roy (+1), Vaarsuvius (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Shirt and Beard (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Ponytail (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Curly Beard and Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Curly Blue Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Bald Head (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Green Bun (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Messy Green Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Short Green Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Straight Blue Hair (+1)

It'll take some time to add them all.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The advantages to this idea, as I see it, are:
    • Groups them all together when they have the same appearances (which they tend to do, to a certain degree)
    • Saves characters
    • Allows for duplicate descriptions across groups (no more having to worry "have we had already a 'vampire dwarf with long blonde hair'?")
    Isn't that already works like that?1

1. Mechane Crewman with, CotS Usher with, etc.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2017-10-16 at 07:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

Imp

Not exclusively. You have some well-sorted with acronyms, like CPPD, DGS, or CotS, but it's not applied universally.

Adding SG for Sapphire Guard, FG for Frost Giants would also help, and there a few characters like Clipboard Guard could stand to have existing acronyms applied to them (in this case EoB)

We could also get more granular and create acroynms for specific events - like the multiple different fights against dwarveen vampires.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Adding SG for Sapphire Guard, FG for Frost Giants would also help, and there a few characters like Clipboard Guard could stand to have existing acronyms applied to them (in this case EoB)
    Problem is it would muddy the distinctions between guardsman/guardswoman, giant/giantess and crewman/crewwoman.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

Imp

That is the main obstacle I've noticed. "SG man" doesn't have quite the impact of Sapphire Guardsman.

Is it just me, or since this idea was raised, have you gone back and moved all of those identifiers to the beginning of character names? The lists look a lot cleaner.
    Show
    Then don't look close.