New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Why all the hate on dual wielding?

I play a level 13 dual wielding eldritch knight, and I am curious as to why there is so much hate. What else was I supposed to do until I hit level 7? Apologize for wanting an extra attack early?

Also, just in general, I don't know why the hate.
    Last edited by Rogerdodger557; 2017-07-19 at 06:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Why all the hate on dual wielding?

I think people have just done the math a good few times over and found that dual wielding starts off strong but loses to damage against other styles around level 10/11.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's still completely viable and should be played by people who enjoy the playstyle without caring for a bit of optimization.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think that it mainly boils down to the following:

1) Action Economy
    2) Feats + Fighting style seem like they should be switched
    3) Action Economy
    4) Only ever get one additional attack, no matter how many main attacks you get
    5) Action Economy
    6) ??
    7) Action Economy

There are just so many things competing for that bonus action usually, unless you're a straight up fighter, that it can be hard to justify using a single attack instead.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadowdove View Post
    I think people have just done the math a good few times over and found that dual wielding starts off strong but loses to damage against other styles around level 10/11.
    TWF is equal at level 1-4, but falls off a cliff at level 4 when GWM and PAM occur. As a comparison TWF does about 55-75% of GWM at level 4 and later.
    Last edited by Kryx; 2017-07-19 at 07:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kryx View Post
    TWF is equal at level 1-4, but falls off a cliff at level 4 when GWM and PAM occur. As a comparison TWF does about 55-75% of GWM at level 4 and later.
    But where do sword and board fighter come out of this?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

No Hate. Dual is ok it just uses bonus action and so does like EVERYTHING else so......either you would already get another attack with bonus action with another ability but with higher damage with a two hander or with a higher AC or you can't use the bonus action to attack because you are using it to do something better.

Really, there is nothing wrong with Dual Wielding. It's not a case of it's not sometimes good, it is! It's just also a case of it not being as good as it seems a lot of the time.

No worries though, if you use it and you like it, Great! More power to you man!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I can tell you it's not always great for Rangers, despite the archetype of the dual wielding ranger, because they'd usually rather spend the bonus action casting or re-targeting Hunter's Mark, and as they get more spells they get a few other options as well that are pretty decent. Now there are some in-between rounds when they have a free bonus action, so it's not a bad build, but there are more efficient builds. Mainly ranged.

Really that's it. Dual wielding isn't bad, it's just generally sub-par. It requires a lot of investment to get up to snuff, and even then, it gives diminishing returns for that investment over time as you get more attacks. At the same time, the cost, a bonus action, goes up as there are more and more better things to do with the bonus action.

At lower levels there are simply better builds, like a great weapon master barbarian employing reckless attack and rage to dish out massive damage and get a bonus action attack that does way more damage, and at higher levels, there are better things to do with a bonus action most of the time (or other ways to get a bonus action attack) and that one attack is less of your damage output anyway.

If it fits the character you're playing, all power to you, I say. It isn't broken bad, it's just on a forum that mostly talks about optimization and the best numerical choice, dual-wielding is just less powerful.

And frankly, I think it should be. Dual wielding really isn't a great idea in battle, it just doesn't work out that well. In most situations, a shield would serve better than a second weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerdodger557 View Post
    Harder to compare I imagine, since they get +3 AC. TWF vs. GWF is a cleaner comparison, since its just damage (though its worth noting ofcourse that TFW also eats your bonus action).

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    And frankly, I think it should be. Dual wielding really isn't a great idea in battle, it just doesn't work out that well. In most situations, a shield would serve better than a second weapon.
    D&D is a game about having fun, not a realistic fight simulator.
    Last edited by Boci; 2017-07-19 at 07:16 AM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

It's not really hated, just sub-optimal.

Before everyone has multi-attack, it is actually the superior choice.
    At level 5, it keeps pace with GWM (when not using -5/+10) as slightly better or slightly worse depending on class and archetype.
    At level 11, you can't justify it for fighter anymore for DPR.
    Once at level 11, dual wielding is only superior to GWF if you have an ability that can activate on every hit, so more hits is better than total number of hits.

This is the case for Paladin (3 smites per turn instead of 2), Battlemaster Fighter (3 maneuvers instead of 2), and a half-orc barbarian at level 13 (where a critical hit is effectively 5x number of dice rolled instead of 2).

The utility of an off-hand whip for certain spells and the Sentinel feat remain due to the weapon's reach.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

On a fighter, sword and board pull ahead of TWF at 11 due to the shield. Without feats, the damage will be slightly in favor of S&B. With feats, shield master will give S&B the edge.

On rangers and barbarians, TWF is feasible, but there are better options. Rangers have too much to do with their bonus, barbarians want a big weapon because they don't get the fighting style.

On rogues, TWF is useful, but crossbow expert makes a hand crossbow better in every way.

Blade Warlocks can only have one pact weapon, and want their free hand for casting anyway if they don't have war caster. Besides that they don't get the fighting style.

Valor bards are in the same boat as warlocks.

Paladins, who might conceivably TWF for extra smites, don't get it as a fighting style option.

TWF sucks this edition.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'm Bubbles View Post
    Once at level 11, dual wielding is only superior to GWF if you have an ability that can activate on every hit, so more hits is better than total number of hits.
    This is why I specified I was over level 13. Since I have access to Eldritch Strike, more attacks per turn helps me, especially now that I can cast Fireball.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am curious as to why there is so much hate.
    Hate? I don't see much dual-wield hate. Just disappointment after the early levels and the boring mediocrity of having to spend your bonus action every turn to keep up with expected damage.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    On a fighter, sword and board pull ahead of TWF at 11 due to the shield. Without feats, the damage will be slightly in favor of S&B. With feats, shield master will give S&B the edge.
    S&B pulls ahead at 5th level by my calculations.

Let me restate that: TWF is doing less damage than Sword and Board only counting the fighter, not counting the advantage the figher gives to his allies by making the enemy prone.

TWF sucks this edition.
    100% this and why (you and) I have tried to bring this up in every TWF thread.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I personally love the idea of TWF. The only problem is that it's badly designed in its current state, and the damage that's lost by building a TWF is simply too staggering to even consider playing

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

This is why I specified I was over level 13. Since I have access to Eldritch Strike, more attacks per turn helps me, especially now that I can cast Fireball.
    Does it, though? You already have a bonus action attack when you're casting, and dual wielding relies on your bonus action to make an offhand attack. In fact, unless you action surge, your dual wielding cannot come into play if you cast a spell during your turn.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    Does it, though? You already have a bonus action attack when you're casting, and dual wielding relies on your bonus action to make an offhand attack. In fact, unless you action surge, your dual wielding cannot come into play if you cast a spell during your turn.
    I think what they means is that they can hit multiple creatures, then catch them all with fireball. Eldritch strike gives every creature hit disadvantage on the save, so two weapon fighting helps with that, guaranteeing an extra attack. Seem niche, but it is an advantage.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    That is what I was referring to, and when I level up whenever I action surge I get a free 30 ft teleport, allowing potentially four enemies to have disadvantage on their saving throws.

Edit: The disadvantage lasts until the end of my next turn as well. I wouldn't even have to action surge if I don't want to.
    Last edited by Rogerdodger557; 2017-07-19 at 10:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kryx View Post
    S&B pulls ahead at 5th level by my calculations.

Let me restate that: TWF is doing less damage than Sword and Board only counting the fighter, not counting the advantage the figher gives to his allies by making the enemy prone.
    Most of my calculations are back of the envelope, so I'll defer to yours. And yes, good point about prone benefiting the rest of the party.

A few more things:

If your campaign has magical weapons, the TWF player needs twice as many as everyone else to receive the same proportional benefit. That sucks.

Another consideration: spells like elemental weapon and magic weapon only target one weapon. One more point against TWF.

Finally, reaction attacks. Since you only get one attack, players who rely on multiple attacks will deal less damage with their reaction, since it only allows one attack. That hurts fighters in general, but TWF fighters most.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That is what I was referring to, and when I level up whenever I action surge I get a free 30 ft teleport, allowing potentially four enemies to have disadvantage on their saving throws.

Edit: The disadvantage lasts until the end of my next turn as well. I wouldn't even have to action surge if I don't want to.
    Yeah, but unless your wielding a whip, that 4 enemies enemies that have to be standing pretty close together, or you'll be eating OA to get to them, and a TWF can do the same, they only have 25% less attacks.Plus this trick, whilst neat, does spread damage out, which is a subpar strategy most of the time. Though if the spell also debuffs it may be more useful.
    Last edited by Boci; 2017-07-19 at 10:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Reading through he responses, so far, what I seem to get as a take back is that math wise, it doesn't do as much damage at later levels, and funky **** with spell casting. I wanted to clarify that

1: I have optimized my character to be an effective dual wielding eldritch knight
    He is a vuman(dual wielder, +1 to STR and INT), war caster, crossbow expert, and has a belt of hill giant strength. His stat array is

• STR: 21(+5)
    • DEX: 13(+1)
    • CON: 12(+1)
    • INT: 20(+5)
    • WIS: 8(-1)
    • CHA: 8(-1)

He also has +1 plate, and an ioun stone of protection. So I'm not worrying about getting hit that much

2:
    I'm playing this character not for roll playing, but for roleplaying. You know, what D&D should be. I wanted to have fun.

And 3: There is a sword and board sorcadin, 1 light cleric, 1 life cleric, a greatsword wielding wizard(1 barb), and a dwarf moon druid. I wanted to be different.
    Last edited by Rogerdodger557; 2017-07-19 at 11:08 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Most of my calculations are back of the envelope, so I'll defer to yours. And yes, good point about prone benefiting the rest of the party.

If your campaign has magical weapons, the TWF player needs twice as many as everyone else to receive the same proportional benefit. That sucks.

Another consideration: spells like elemental weapon and magic weapon only target one weapon. One more point against TWF.

Finally, reaction attacks. Since you only get one attack, players who rely on multiple attacks will deal less damage with their reaction, since it only allows one attack. That hurts fighters in general, but TWF fighters most.
    For magic items in general, if two or more players want the same item and have the same amount of magic items, they roll for it. This is how I got both +1 weapons in Lost Mines.

I don't use elemental weapon or magic weapon. They are, quite honestly, a waste of spells known for eldritch knights(at least in my opinion).

My reaction is mainly used for either Shield or Absorb Elements. And with war caster, I would just use a cantrip. A lot easier, and at least three damage die are rolled if I hit.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Why all the hate on dual wielding?

I have to consistently roll higher on the d20 to hit. If you dice go cold the extra attack does very little if you hit.

Light off hand weapon less damage lower armor class compared two shield.

Now I do like a two handed weapon with 1 1/2 times strength damage.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Yeah, but unless your wielding a whip, that 4 enemies enemies that have to be standing pretty close together, or you'll be eating OA to get to them, and a TWF can do the same, they only have 25% less attacks.Plus this trick, whilst neat, does spread damage out, which is a subpar strategy most of the time. Though if the spell also debuffs it may be more useful.
    OA?

And for spells, I try and get spells that have secondary effects(frostbite and the like). Or just Fireball. 8d6 is still pretty nice.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Reading through he responses, so far, what I seem to get as a take back is that math wise, it doesn't do as much damage at later levels, and funky **** with spell casting. I wanted to clarify that
    Pretty much this. People don't hate two weapon fighting generally, but its mechanically subpar, for fighter it generally doesn't do anything better than another fighting style, and fluff-wise some people dislike it because historically it was not as valid a fighting style as the others.

But yeah, if you like it, go for it and have fun.

OA?
    Opportunity attack, for moving outside a creature's threaten range. I sometimes confuse editions.

And for spells, I try and get spells that have secondary effects(frostbite and the like). Or just Fireball. 8d6 is still pretty nice.
    Frostbite isn't an area effect, so it won't be better on a two weapon fighter, and yeah, 28 fire damage is pretty good, but again, TWF isn't adding that much to the combo.
    Last edited by Boci; 2017-07-19 at 10:28 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

The issue isn't that dual wielding can't work, just that it's inferior to everything else past level 5. You may use it and like it, but that's not the point.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    I have to consistently roll higher on the d20 to hit. If you dice go cold the extra attack does very little if you hit.

Light off hand weapon less damage lower armor class compared two shield.

Now I do like a two handed weapon with 1 1/2 times strength damage.
    Are you sure you're in the right addition? What 1.5x Str two-handed weapons?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Frostbite isn't an area effect, so it won't be better on a two weapon fighter, and yeah, 28 fire damage is pretty good, but again, TWF isn't adding that much to the combo.
    While it isn't a AOE spell, if were going up against a singular, powerful threat like an adult dragon(as we have), disadvantage to hit on their first attack is always useful.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

While it isn't a AOE spell, if were going up against a singular, powerful threat like an adult dragon(as we have), disadvantage to hit on their first attack is always useful.
    Right, but that's not relevant to your fighting style, any eldritch knight can do that, and against a singular, more powerful opponent, TWF is better, at least mechanically.
    Last edited by Boci; 2017-07-19 at 10:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I hope those counting GWM and PAM styles are also accounting for the Dual Wielder feat, which would give you +1AC and +1 damage to all attacks. Otherwise, it's moot.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

I play a level 13 dual wielding eldritch knight, and I am curious as to why there is so much hate. What else was I supposed to do until I hit level 7? Apologize for wanting an extra attack early?

Also, just in general, I don't know why the hate.
    "Hate" is a strong word. It's more that it's not optimal, and most of the discussion on these forums tend to center around min-maxing, where not optimal things are disliked.