New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Avatar Curiosities

This is probably not the right place to talk about this, but I think it's the closest to such a location that I could find...

I was browsing these pages last night on my phone, and I'm almost -certain- I saw someone who had a moving gif for their avatar. I wanted to know if I was just hallucinating or if we are allowed to have gifs for our avatars.

And in a related concern, I was curious to know what the restrictions were on content from outside the forum for such material. I might already have been flouting the rules without even knowing so in that regard, and before I do anything even worse, I figured I should seek clarification.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Curiosities

Under the forum rules, linked at the top of every page and subforum:

The total width of images in your signature may not exceed 470 pixels. This may be comprised of one or more images.

The total height of images in your signature may not exceed 120 pixels. This may be comprised of one or more images.

Any images in a spoiler may not exceed 300 pixels high by 470 pixels wide.

Total height of your signature may not exceed 12 lines or equivalent. A smaller font may allow additional lines and a larger font will count against multiple lines. A 120 pixel high image is equivalent to 8 lines, a spoiler with no blank lines around it is equivalent to 2 lines. Please be aware of text wrapping as long lines will count as multiple lines at our discretion.

The maximum size for any avatar is 50kb.

The maximum total size for your avatar and every image in your signature, including those in spoilers cannot exceed 300kb.

Avatars and signature images must be static (ie. not animated). Animated avatars or signature images will be subject to immediate removal.

Animated images are still allowed as post content (preferably in a spoiler) but not in your signature or as an avatar as they detract from the rest of the forums when they are attached to every post.

Also, please note that if a change is made to your signature or avatar either directly by a moderator or by way of a moderator request, changing it back to something that does not comply with these rules would lead to an infraction. This falls under the existing rules regarding changing moderator made edits or ignoring/disregarding a moderator.

Copyrighted Material and OotS Images
    Using copyrighted artwork as an avatar is technically illegal unless you have the permission of the copyright holder. Even if the art is modified in some way, the original copyright still stands and you can't use it as an avatar. Rich Burlew has specifically requested that people DO NOT use his OOTS art as avatar image, other than those he has specifically provided as the default message board avatars. Also, please do not take, alter, or use the provided avatar images, comic images, or other pieces of Rich's art without express consent. If you want an OOTS-style avatar, there are many burgeoning avatar artists hanging around the Arts and Crafts forum who might make one for you.

Any avatar image that is found to be used without the permission of the copyright holder will be removed. If the creator of an avatar personally approaches the GITP staff and claims that their creation is being used without permission by another poster--as might be the case if they requested credit for the avatar and then were denied such--the Moderators will remove the avatar immediately. The first instance of this will incur a Warning, but should the member reinstate his or her violating avatar or create another avatar that also violates the rules, he or she will be issued an Infraction.
    Emphasis mine. Any animated avatars, while possible from a forum logistics standpoint (as in, it is possible to set your avatar to a gif, so you probably weren't hallucinating), are breaking forum rules, and should be reported immediately.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2017-07-19 at 02:11 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'll do my best to keep a watch out for the gif avatar in question. But what about my own? Is fan art of a character, let alone a screen cap, illegal? I'd enjoy the opportunity to modify it if it's grounds for an infraction, but I assumed something this small and specific wouldn't be infringing on anything, and I only assumed it to be okay because of the other number of similar cases in that regard.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    I'll do my best to keep a watch out for the gif avatar in question. But what about my own? Is fan art of a character, let alone a screen cap, illegal? I'd enjoy the opportunity to modify it if it's grounds for an infraction, but I assumed something this small and specific wouldn't be infringing on anything, and I only assumed it to be okay because of the other number of similar cases in that regard.
    If it doesn't violate copyright law (which should hopefully go without saying) and is used with permission from the artist, theres no problem. Where fan art and screen caps fall are beyond my ability to advise you on (seriously. We aren't allowed to give professional advice, including legal advice, on this forum). I assume if the mods have a problem with your avatar, they'll inform you so themselves at some point here.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Question Re: Avatar Curiosities

Sheriff: Animated avatars are prohibited. Please report them.

Use images as avatars (and in signatures and elsewhere here) that you have the copyright to or license for.

Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex